2013 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 3471 Old 11-27-2013, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How can I find the build month for my 60VT60?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 3471 Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 PM

It should be printed on a sticker on the back of the set.
post #2253 of 3471 Old 11-28-2013, 12:23 PM

Liked: 12

hey guys back on the forum after a long absence, about to get the 60' ST60 next thurs and really want to do this right and do the slides. however im having the geek squad connect everything together for me.. my tv, ps3 and directiv along with my new yamaha av receiver.. stupid question maybe but i need to test everything out to make sure it all works.. i cant just immediately go to slides with the geeks here.. lol is that gonna mess up the whole process? 

post #2254 of 3471 Old 11-28-2013, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I have seen this addressed before but I can't remember the answer and I'm having difficulty finding it. I'm seeing the "noise" or "speckles" in the black areas on my S64. They're only visible up close, so it's not a big deal, but what setting do I adjust to reduce them as much as possible? Thanks.
post #2255 of 3471 Old 11-28-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post

I have seen this addressed before but I can't remember the answer and I'm having difficulty finding it. I'm seeing the "noise" or "speckles" in the black areas on my S64. They're only visible up close, so it's not a big deal, but what setting do I adjust to reduce them as much as possible? Thanks.

Reduce the Brightness control one tick at a time until the dithering goes away. Or use a calibration disk to set the Brightness correctly.

Larry
post #2256 of 3471 Old 11-28-2013, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Reduce the Brightness control one tick at a time until the dithering goes away. Or use a calibration disk to set the Brightness correctly.

Larry

Thanks for the quick response, Larry. My wife had just stepped out so I decided to try adjusting Brightness and after it got to zero it was no longer noticeable. For anyone having this problem, the higher the brightness the worse the dithering got on my set.
sheshechic likes this.
post #2257 of 3471 Old 11-28-2013, 04:55 PM
fcb
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylanD View Post

hey guys back on the forum after a long absence, about to get the 60' ST60 next thurs and really want to do this right and do the slides. however im having the geek squad connect everything together for me.. my tv, ps3 and directiv along with my new yamaha av receiver.. stupid question maybe but i need to test everything out to make sure it all works.. i cant just immediately go to slides with the geeks here.. lol is that gonna mess up the whole process? 

You only need to run slides if you are going to have your set calibrated by D-Nice.

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.
Just ain't enough good stuff!

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #2258 of 3471 Old 11-28-2013, 06:53 PM

Liked: 11
I'm having an issue with the YouTube app on my 60ST60. It used to work perfectly but recently it stopped working. When I start the app the TV shows the Connecting "spinner", then the Loading "spinner" but then it just goes to a blank white screen. I'm running the current firmware and I've confirmed that I'm connected to the internet. I have no problems using Netflix.

Thanks in advance.
post #2259 of 3471 Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

You only need to run slides if you are going to have your set calibrated by D-Nice.

That's not true. The slides are to age the panel when you plan to use his posted settings.

Now if you wanted to use them to put the required hours on your set before getting a pro calibration, that's fine. Just not required and certainly not limited to that.

Just for the record, some seem to confuse this... Posted settings is not a calibration. A true calibration requires a meter.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #2260 of 3471 Old 11-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Show me where he says that. And then tell me why you would have to "age" the panel before putting ANY settings in it.

Seriously? That's the purpose of his slides....to prepare the panel for his posted settings....NOT for his in-person calibration. But just to placate you....

From first post in this very thread, posted by dnice himself....

Note: This procedure is designed to prepare your display for the reference settings listed for each 2013 North American Panasonic model below by aging all pixels equally with the same content

Suggest you read and get the info correct before giving others wrong information.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #2261 of 3471 Old 11-28-2013, 09:57 PM
fcb
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Suggest you read and get the info correct before giving others wrong information.

Ok, you are right, that is what he said. Now tell me why the panel needs to be "Aged" before you put any settings in it.
Because Panasonic has not recommended this anywhere that I could find.
Nor have any of the other professionals who have posted settings, such as Sound and Vision.
So far as I can tell, you can put any settings in anytime.

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #2262 of 3471 Old 11-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, you are right, that is what he said. Now tell me why the panel needs to be "Aged" before you put any settings in it.
Nor have any of the other professionals who have posted settings, such as Sound and Vision.

I'm not doing the research for you. You're free to do what you like with you're TV.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #2263 of 3471 Old 11-28-2013, 10:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Your attitude could use some work. smile.gif

If the settings are coming to you free, put them in anytime you want. If you want to maximize the benefit of using D-Nice's settings then follow his procedure. If you are paying, check below. smile.gif

Plasma technology is subject to rapid drift when a set is first used. In past years the drift slowed down at around 100 hours. D-Nice used the same procedure that he posted here when he calibrated his own set. By following his procedure, and then using his settings, you will come as close as possible to his results. Since all sets vary, even the same models, you will only approximate D-Nice's results. You wait to enter his settings until you've finished D-Nice's procedure, because D-Nice uses a separate group of settings for the first 100 hours.

If you don't care about using the procedure, then you can use anyone's settings at any time you wish. If you are thinking about a professional calibration, then it's been recommended, for the 2013 Panasonic models, to get at least 300 hours on your set before paying for a calibration. This year the rapid drift period is a little longer, and it takes a couple hundred more hours to slow down. When you pay for a calibration, it's cheaper to wait until the most rapid drift is over so that the settings will remain optimum longer.

You can use the link in the signature area of my post if you want to read owner's comments about their professional calibrations. The links to flat panel comments are in post number two.

NOTE: D-Nice and the other top calibrators who post at AVS are at the top of their profession.
sheshechic, jconjason and Isunn like this.
post #2264 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 08:03 AM
fcb
Advanced Member

" you will come as close as possible to his results. Since all sets vary, even the same models, you will only approximate D-Nice's results. "
My point exactly. Using some else's settings may make your set look better, then again it may not. Hence in my opinion this bit with the slides
also may or may not help.
I think the newbies should be aware of this before they again in my opinion waste a bunch of time running these slides,
After all, these slides are not for break in, or minimizing of IR, just to make this one person's settings possibly look better.
And even from your post, htwaites, I can't see any reason not to simply watch the tv, even with Mr. D-Nice's settings installed
immediately, because the worst that would happen is that the set possibly won't look as good with these settings until it has run for a while.

As far as professional calibration goes, I would think the results on a set that looks so good to start with would be minimal, but I may try it
anyway just to see for myself. My main concern there is that these plasma sets do drift, so once the calibrator is out the door the set will commence to
fall out of spec.

Fred

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #2265 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 01:20 PM

I have the download on a USB and a SD card. The TV refuses to see any of the images. It says "No Pictures". I was able to access the images from a different computer, so I know they're on the USB and the SD card. Any ideas?

I have a new 60ST60 sitting here and I can't use the slides ...... so damn frustrating!

post #2266 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 01:31 PM

Liked: 11
Hopefully I'm asking it correctly. Do I need to input the Dnice settings for each input. One when I watch cable, then one when I watch Blu ray etc.? I thought once I loaded the settings once on the Custom settings it will carry over to all the inputs.
Thanks
post #2267 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post

I have the download on a USB and a SD card. The TV refuses to see any of the images. It says "No Pictures". I was able to access the images from a different computer, so I know they're on the USB and the SD card. Any ideas?

I have a new 60ST60 sitting here and I can't use the slides ...... so damn frustrating!

Do you happen to own a Mac, I heard people have trouble with Mac. They need to be formatted or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3powell View Post

Hopefully I'm asking it correctly. Do I need to input the Dnice settings for each input. One when I watch cable, then one when I watch Blu ray etc.? I thought once I loaded the settings once on the Custom settings it will carry over to all the inputs.
Thanks

It does if you have 1HDMI cable from TV to receiver. If you have all your components hooked up to tv's HDMI inputs you will need to apply settings to your liking to each input. The only benefit doing it this way is that you can have daytime custom settings for cable and nighttime custom settings for bluray.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #2268 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Do you happen to own a Mac, I heard people have trouble with Mac. They need to be formatted or something.

No, I have a Windows 7 PC. I checked them on a different Windows 7 PC and all the pictures are there. I got a PM that asked about a Mac and gave me some threads to check. I'm going to sift through them.

post #2269 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No, I have a Windows 7 PC. I checked them on a different Windows 7 PC and all the pictures are there. I got a PM that asked about a Mac and gave me some threads to check. I'm going to sift through them.

Got it, feel stupid. I had to take each slide out and save it independently. It wouldn't work with all the pictures in the folder. Perhaps, it was the zip.

post #2270 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 03:55 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:

Only thing I can think of is did you load them on the card still zipped (compressed)? Other than that, I don't have a clue.
post #2271 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Who or what is D-Nice?

Is drift a reason to avoid paying for a calibration? It depends. eek.gif

Drift is at it's peak when a plasma is first put into use. From that point on the drift slows down -- relatively rapidly at first, but after a few hundred hours drift becomes very slow for the rest of the display's life span. How often anyone who has had their display calibrated would want a recalibration done would depend on a lot of factors. Most probably don't ever have a recalibration done. I've had one recalibration done at about 5,200 hours, and I doubt that I will have a second recalibration done. A professional working in either movie or TV production might have a recalibration done every year.

Just idle thoughts. smile.gif
post #2272 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 07:51 PM

Hi all, does anyone have good setting for the P50S60? Did Dnice ever post these? Larry, any help would be appreciated, Thank you all!
post #2273 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtnaples View Post

Hi all, does anyone have good setting for the P50S60? Did Dnice ever post these? Larry, any help would be appreciated, Thank you all!

From Google; http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-591233/panasonic-tc-p50s60-picture-settings/

I didn't bother searching any further than Google's first chocie, but you can if you'd like to. smile.gif
post #2274 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 09:15 PM

New to these forums here. Had a couple of questions and concerns that I would love to be addressed here. Some of you have probably seen these questions a thousand times, so if I sound like a broken record to you, then don't even bother answering. Just point me in the right direction with a link to the answer if you can, and I'll start reading! 

So, tomorrow I am picking up a P50S60, first Plasma TV I've had. I've done research (I know that I need to break it in for the first 100-200 hours, watching channels with a static image for the first 100 hours needs to stay to a minimum, etc) but I am still a bit confused about some things.

1) I've seen D-Nice's first post on this thread, on the first page, where he supplied some prep slides to use on the TV for the first 100 hours. How would I use those? I'm assuming I would just copy those slides onto a USB stick, stick the USB into the TV? D-Nice also says to leave all the settings at their default..D is talking about the TV settings right? Brightness, contrast, etc? What confuses me is that a lot of reviewers have said that the brightness and contrast should be turned down during the first 100 hours. Down to what level? They weren't really being specific. Should I keep the levels at the default when using those slides, and turn down the brightness and contrast when someone wants to watch tv? Hope that doesn't ruin the tv in any way..

Anyway, back to the slides! I would not be able to use those slides for the entire 100 hours, as other people in the house like to watch sports. And the news channel occasionally, so those static images are a problem. What precaution should I take when someone is watching sports, or the news? I've read that it may be best to zoom in until the static images are no longer on screen. Do I really have to do this? The static images would not be on for more than an hour at most, seeing as sports games have intermissions/commercial breaks every so often, so I don't know if the zoom in is necessarily needed..an opinion about this would be great, though!

2) What about calibrations, and settings? I have also seen D-Nice's reference setting son the first page of this thread, but it says that they are "designed exclusively to be used on North American TC-PxxST60 displays". Would it be a problem if I used these on my S60? I mean, I also found this: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-591233/panasonic-tc-p50s60-picture-settings/ , so if I can't use D-Nice's settings, then that isn't too much of a problem. I've heard that the Disney Wow blu-ray is pretty good for calibration, but..I do not have a blu-ray player. That being said, if I use D-Nice's settings, would I even need to use the Disney calibration?

3) I plan on buying a PS4 in a month or so (if I can find one in stock), and had a question about gaming. As far as I know, there is no gaming mode on the S60. Will I have to re-calibrate the input that the PS4 will be on? Or does it automatically look the same on all inputs after calibrating it the first time? Finally, since I'll be gaming on this TV only after the first 100 or so hours, how long should I game for before taking a break do you guys think? I've read that some people can game for 5+ hours and not see any image retention, and then others will game for 2 hours or less and notice some bad IR. Not sure what to do, really. 

I think that's it..for now. Sorry if this is such a long post, I just really want to keep this tv healthy for as long as possible! Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :) 

post #2275 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
vtnaples,

D-Nice has not posted any settings for the S60 and probably won't. Robin found one listing. Other than those CNET settings and owner's settings posted in this forum, I don't know of any.

Larry
post #2276 of 3471 Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 PM

Double post by accident..whoops. 

post #2277 of 3471 Old 11-30-2013, 07:50 AM
fcb
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Who or what is D-Nice?

Is drift a reason to avoid paying for a calibration? It depends.
. smile.gif

One of the self-calibrators who tinker with their sets as a hobby could answer that.
So any comment on this, SillySally?

Fred

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #2278 of 3471 Old 11-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 99
So there's an incredible deal on the 60ZT60 for 2299$ it is the same price as the 65VT60. Is the ZT worth it, is the PQ better or is it really just the filter that's better making the ZT better for bright rooms and a little lower black level.
From what one read the ZT uses a single panned glass directly onto the TV and the VT is using the same panel as the VT50.
So 2299$ 60ZT60 vs 2299$ 65VT60?
Or 2299$ 60ZT60 vs 1899$ 60VT60?
post #2279 of 3471 Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

So there's an incredible deal on the 60ZT60 for 2299$ it is the same price as the 65VT60. Is the ZT worth it, is the PQ better or is it really just the filter that's better making the ZT better for bright rooms and a little lower black level.
From what one read the ZT uses a single panned glass directly onto the TV and the VT is using the same panel as the VT50.
So 2299$ 60ZT60 vs 2299$ 65VT60?
Or 2299$ 60ZT60 vs 1899$ 60VT60?

The ZT filter should help with daytime reflections a bit, but the VT60 is very slightly brighter which will be beneficial for 3D in particular and regular viewing somewhat if that light is needed. The VT60 filter still holds blacks really well in a brighter room, but is somewhat reflective.

post #2280 of 3471 Old 11-30-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Who or what is D-Nice?

Is drift a reason to avoid paying for a calibration? It depends.
. smile.gif

One of the self-calibrators who tinker with their sets as a hobby could answer that.
So any comment on this, SillySally?
Are you asking about drift or the link to "Who or What is D-Nice?" biggrin.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P60s60 , Panasonic Tc P55s60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page