Panasonic VT50 Image Tinting issues - Help Dealing with Panasonic/Identifying the issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this or can help advise how to deal with Panasonic on this issue.

Normal TV looks fine, but Ice Hockey looks terrible (after a couple of minutes of watching). Red tinting issues, but far worse, there is a yellow tinted line on the middle left side of the screen, about 2 inches thick. Its not super easy to see in a still image, but quite noticeable when there is motion.

I've already called Panasonic once, they sent a repairman who said the TV was fine, nothing wrong with it. I tried explaining it only happens on hockey (because of the white background), but he wasnt really interested in solving the issue. Got another repair guy coming out this week, but a few of my buddies have already said Panasonic may claim this is within the limits of whats acceptable. Any advice dealing with Panasonic?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I dont know if the camera picked up what you are talking about, becasue at a glance that picture looks normal on my screen.......have you tried adjsuting the settings to see if the effect diminishes or increases at all?
post #3 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I dont know if the camera picked up what you are talking about, becasue at a glance that picture looks normal on my screen.......have you tried adjsuting the settings to see if the effect diminishes or increases at all?

The left side of the screen looks normal to you? eek.gif
Moonchilde likes this.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've tried adjusting the settings, it didnt make a difference, that yellow line is still there.

Its also not the source, I've streamed center ice from my computer, at 3000k/s and it still had the yellow tinted line.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 189
If you have access to a full field 80% gray field, display that.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

If you have access to a full field 80% gray field, display that.

Whats a full field 80% grey? Just a #CCCCCC color output onto the screen?
post #7 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Honestly, this comment just goes to show that these green tinges, as well as yellow in your case, and red/pink (mine went from green to red with defined vertical edges) - I'll post pics later tonight) are imperceptible by a the vast majority of people. That, and the fact most people probably don't watch hockey, or golf, or basketball, or play video games, where these tinges are really only evident besides the few seconds of a commercial or scene with solid, light toned backgrounds.

I've went through three st30s last year and they all had green tinges and same for all the models I"ve seen this year including all the displays (UTs, GTs, and a VT) I tried with they grey slides on an sd card. At Sears the salesman even admitted to seeing an undefined green tinge in the upper right of a UT50 on display and it was even evident during the commercials showing, but he wouldn't budge on the price and only suggested to buy their extended warranty, lol!

Some displays are better than others obviously, with some not showing obvious blobs per se, but what seems to be common is a broad green tint to the middle of the screen with the entire left and right edges about three inches in showing a more violet tint in comparison. My S1 never showed this issue but I take it is just one of the quirks of the new panel tech Panasonic is using. It still bugs me though I've come to live with it. Well, that is until a few weeks ago when suddenly a red tint with defined vertical edges developed. I am lucky enough to be a Silver rewards member with a 60 day return window at Best Buy, so I just bought the 2 - year warranty from them on my 60th day.

When you consider this tint variation in the screen as well as the vertical shadow bands you get with motion, Panasonic plasmas are no where near perfectly uniform like the impression you get from some people and reviews claiming uniformity a positive trait.

And to the OP, that is bad! I sympathize! Especially since it's a VT50 and not something less costly like mine, a UT50. If you know anything about last year's green blob/tint issue one the UK forums you'll know Panasonic will not budge on their stance of it's "within specs." It really sucks!
post #8 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsilvertwo View Post

Honestly, this comment just goes to show that these green tinges, as well as yellow in your case, and red/pink (mine went from green to red with defined vertical edges) - I'll post pics later tonight) are imperceptible by a the vast majority of people. That, and the fact most people probably don't watch hockey, or golf, or basketball, or play video games, where these tinges are really only evident besides the few seconds of a commercial or scene with solid, light toned backgrounds.

I've went through three st30s last year and they all had green tinges and same for all the models I"ve seen this year including all the displays (UTs, GTs, and a VT) I tried with they grey slides on an sd card. At Sears the salesman even admitted to seeing an undefined green tinge in the upper right of a UT50 on display and it was even evident during the commercials showing, but he wouldn't budge on the price and only suggested to buy their extended warranty, lol!

Some displays are better than others obviously, with some not showing obvious blobs per se, but what seems to be common is a broad green tint to the middle of the screen with the entire left and right edges about three inches in showing a more violet tint in comparison. My S1 never showed this issue but I take it is just one of the quirks of the new panel tech Panasonic is using. It still bugs me though I've come to live with it. Well, that is until a few weeks ago when suddenly a red tint with defined vertical edges developed. I am lucky enough to be a Silver rewards member with a 60 day return window at Best Buy, so I just bought the 2 - year warranty from them on my 60th day.

When you consider this tint variation in the screen as well as the vertical shadow bands you get with motion, Panasonic plasmas are no where near perfectly uniform like the impression you get from some people and reviews claiming uniformity a positive trait.

And to the OP, that is bad! I sympathize! Especially since it's a VT50 and not something less costly like mine, a UT50. If you know anything about last year's green blob/tint issue one the UK forums you'll know Panasonic will not budge on their stance of it's "within specs." It really sucks!

It may just be the screen I am looking at it with......But on the far left I seen what look to be some sunlight from the window behind the TV causing what looks like a bloom on the picture, I ignored it as this went into the bezle on the left....I dont watch hockey much, but other sports plenty......
post #9 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I'm seeing a pink blob tint to the ice on the far left and lower right sides of the screen in the image you posted. That isn't a reflection off the window, that is for sure the pink blob effect. I've noticed other people mention the pink blob effect in the UT50 thread and I can also see a hint of pink blob on my ST60. A google search for plasma pink blob shows it goes quite a bit back, and several folks posted they've had techs come out and said everything was within range of how the display should work. I'm not sure exactly what you can do, I think it's just luck of the draw on the set you get.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I switched the color mode to cool and tried other picture modes. The effect isn't nearly as noticeable, but in my custom picture mode that has the white balance calibrated I'm seeing it much easier. I've noticed on these sets that the white balance is far too hot (90k or so even on normal) so I'm thinking this may have something to do with the red phosphors and how they're balancing with blue to cause that pink blob effect. It may simply be a little hyper active in those sections, but what you can do, I'm not sure.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

The pink bleeding isnt that bad on the set, in this picture it looks a lot worse than it normally is, but the pink bleeding is by no means brutal... occasionally it comes up for a few seconds, but 99% of the time its fine (even on hockey).

Its the 2 inch thick yellow line thats killer, its really noticeable during motion and it completely ruins the game...

Its my first Panny set, coming from the LCD/LED world, so I must say it is quite disappointing.. especially since its their signature set
post #11 of 16 Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 189
sadhakim

Have you tried that screen scrubber buried in one of the menus?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-04-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

sadhakim

Have you tried that screen scrubber buried in one of the menus?

I tried image retention cleaner or something like that for 20 minutes, but it didnt really help. I play around with the menus tonight to see if there is anything else that might help.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
There's nothing that will help, except perhaps time. I also have a large yellow stain on the right sight of my 60UT50 that showed up somewhere after a few hundred hours. Mine resembles a vertical rectangle, perhaps 5 inches thick, 14 inches long, that runs parallel to the right vertical band seen on almost all 2012 Panasonic plasmas. The right edge of the stain runs right along that vertical band and doesn't crossover. Weird.

post #14 of 16 Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Panny repair guy just got back to me.. Great guy, came in, took a look at the screen, could see the issue with a solid bluish background. Took a few screen shots, as well as mine and sent them to Panasonic. Panasonic came back with "ghosting" is not under warranty..lol..

Tried calling into Panasonic to get more information, only to be told that the department that determines whether a TV should be fixed cant be contacted directly... have escalated it again, waiting for a callback in 2-4 days..
post #15 of 16 Old 04-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
This is the only reason I went with an extended warranty from my local retailer. Dealing with Panasonic when it comes to defects like uniformity issues can be an unpleasant experience.

At any rate, keep us updated. I'll also post pictures of my own stain sometime this weekend.

post #16 of 16 Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am having the same problems with my ST50, repair is coming out next Friday.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50 , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page