Custom Calibration settings for TC-PST60-Here you guys go!!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 04-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried the settings. It gives black screens a reddish tint, but looks good in bright scenes.

Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Wine?" Descartes says, "I think not," and disappears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 04-23-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atagert View Post

I tried the settings. It gives black screens a reddish tint, but looks good in bright scenes.

Hi.i have tried them too and gives a red tint in my blacks too,the best setting you can use is cinema mood and use a test disc to set contrast and brightness or get it calibrated or DIY.it is no shourtcut too take others ppl settings.

Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y-Klipsch RF-62 Mk1-Onkyo TX-NR616-Panasonic DMP-BDT110-Pioneer BDP-120-Xbox 360 250GB
post #33 of 53 Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

OP means "Original Poster" so OP is you.

Your first post leads us to believe you had your ST60 Professionally ISF Calibrated and were posting the results - nowhere did you state that you simply copied and pasted those settings from the Plasma TV Buying Guide site, which by the way is an advertising site masquerading as a review site to draw traffic and get lots of clicks. Not sure why you'd create a new thread about these settings, especially without telling us how you arrived at these settings or that you copied them from that website.

Typically, the settings they post don't look good compared to settings provided by D-Nice or actual owners.
Why do people say that site is an advertisement site and not a real review site? I have been reading their reviews and and they also post up calibration settings for a lot of the TVs. Whether they are good settings or not is irrelevant. Just curious why they are not taken seriously as a review site?
post #34 of 53 Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperatore View Post

Quote:

How is it that the OP's calibrated settings are exactly identical to the calibrated settings on plasma tv buying guide? Every single number matches. So who copied who's settings? Or is the OP affiliated with that advertising site?

I'm not sure who OP is but I own this tv and used their calibrations for my ST60. All I did was copy them and post them here for others who own this tv to use. They helped my set look a lot better.

When you use someone else's work product and decide to spread them around/share them, it's best that you credit the person who did them. Also, don't try to sound more knowledgeably than you are. Otherwise, you'll get little respect here.

post #35 of 53 Old 04-25-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Quote:

Your first post leads us to believe you had your ST60 Professionally ISF Calibrated and were posting the results - nowhere did you state that you simply copied and pasted those settings from the Plasma TV Buying Guide site, which by the way is an advertising site masquerading as a review site to draw traffic and get lots of clicks. Not sure why you'd create a new thread about these settings, especially without telling us how you arrived at these settings or that you copied them from that website.

Typically, the settings they post don't look good compared to settings provided by D-Nice or actual owners.
Why do people say that site is an advertisement site and not a real review site? I have been reading their reviews and and they also post up calibration settings for a lot of the TVs. Whether they are good settings or not is irrelevant. Just curious why they are not taken seriously as a review site?

Anyone can write a review. All it takes is reading the reviews of others. People do it all the time. A real review is when someone with an extensive knowledge base has hands on experience with the tv and hopefully spend more than 20 minutes with it.

post #36 of 53 Old 04-26-2013, 02:50 AM

Thumbs up for even less accurate TVs using copied and thus flawed settings. Every TV is different so settings can't be copied period. If you want a calibrated TV better buy yourself a colorimeter/spectrophotometer or hire a professional.
post #37 of 53 Old 04-26-2013, 07:20 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

You're new here, but several years ago that site was trying to pass itself off as an information/review site but the information they were providing was plucked from other websites and was often wrong, settings were poor, and their TV rankings and the test results they posted were downright comical (they ranked several low-end to mid-range LCD TVs higher than the Samsung and Panasonic Plasmas) then when you clicked links it took you to to various shady east coast TV dealers. Further investigation revealed that this so called review site was actually owned by the same group of shady east coast TV dealers that the links took you to, so AVS blocked their URL. They've gotten smarter and appear to be more legitimate now, but it is not a reputable site nor is it a good source of information if you're looking for accuracy. They get paid for every click you make so the more they can suck you in, the more money they make. There's not many sites that are blocked by AVS, but the fact that this one is blocked should tell you something about their legitimacy.

If the settings they post happen to look good to someone, it's either a coincidence or they stole the settings from another website. The info they post can readily be found on other sites.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #38 of 53 Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:

You're new here, but several years ago that site was trying to pass itself off as an information/review site but the information they were providing was plucked from other websites and was often wrong, settings were poor, and their TV rankings and the test results they posted were downright comical (they ranked several low-end to mid-range LCD TVs higher than the Samsung and Panasonic Plasmas) then when you clicked links it took you to to various shady east coast TV dealers. Further investigation revealed that this so called review site was actually owned by the same group of shady east coast TV dealers that the links took you to, so AVS blocked their URL. They've gotten smarter and appear to be more legitimate now, but it is not a reputable site nor is it a good source of information if you're looking for accuracy. They get paid for every click you make so the more they can suck you in, the more money they make. There's not many sites that are blocked by AVS, but the fact that this one is blocked should tell you something about their legitimacy.

If the settings they post happen to look good to someone, it's either a coincidence or they stole the settings from another website. The info they post can readily be found on other sites.
Thanks for the background on that. So currently speaking, do you think Robert Wiley is legit?
post #39 of 53 Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Randy - I miss your old picture and spider vision.

David Freeman
post #40 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shield1280 View Post

Hi.i have tried them too and gives a red tint in my blacks too,the best setting you can use is cinema mood and use a test disc to set contrast and brightness or get it calibrated or DIY.it is no shourtcut too take others ppl settings.
I agree it is no shortcut but the majority of people visiting this do not pay for a custom calibration. I would guess its way less than 1 out of 10 who pay for a custom calibration when they are so readily available on the net and look very good too. I'm not including people who do it themselves with their own equipment. Besides this guy I work with, I know no one who paid for a custom calibration. I might mention this guy who got his tv calibrated had a personal connection to the calibrator. So he got a discounted price and didn't pay $500 for the complete custom calibration.
Dnice posted his custom calibrations a few weeks back of which I just saw today ( have not been on here for a few weeks, very busy auditing my companies earnings report) and people are experiencing the same reddish push with blacks. It is not only with theses settings.
A coworker of mine just had his ST60 custom calibrated by a well regarded AV guy in NY area and he says he sometimes sees a reddish push too. I went and watched his tv for a few hours last week and I did not notice his custom calibration look any better than the one I found on plasma tv buying guide. It looked excellent but I would not say better. At least with what I watched. NBA playoffs and some of Davinchi's Demons (new series on Starz.) I did not notice the push that much though but I wasn't intentionally looking for it. The calibrator noted to my friend that in some content it pushed a little yellowish/green tinge but it only happened briefly with one area of a movie. It seems there is no holy grail calibration that will be perfect. If there is I have not heard of it.
I will try cnets settings soon but for now I'll just put dnice's settings and will compare to plasma tv buying guide when it gets darker out. Right now after I just plugged them in (dnice's calibrations) at ~5:00pm they look much darker than plasma buying guide and home theater. I'm very surprised how dark they look. I have hs settings on my VT and they don't look this dark. I will judge better tonight I only looked for a couple minutes.
After I pick a favorite I will put in Cnets and compare to both.
post #41 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by random205 View Post

I unboxed my P50ST60 last night and threw on the settings posted here just to see how it looked. I'm no professional, but throwing in the Avengers Blu-Ray, I was very WOWed by the image quality and this was without break-in. I was so spoiled with the image quality, that it made my DISH broadcast of the NCAA game look like crap :-D. I'm curious how D-nice's settings will look as well, I'm running break in slides on the TV now.

Imperatore, I did notice that some of the settings your have, were either greyed out on my TV or some you marked N/A were selectable and changeable so I wasn't sure what to do about that. For example, you have, 3:2 Pulldown n/a, but I had the choice of Auto, Off, On. Wasn't sure what to choose.

Random, the items with n/a are not available under custom setting. They can't be changed under custom. Some of these items are available to change when watching a bluray. Leave 3:2 on auto.

I too watched Avengers Bluray with these calibration and it was incredible. The PQ is amazing agreed.
post #42 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atagert View Post

Dnice's settings seem to be pushing reddish tint as well. I don't know if its inherent with this set it or if someone will find a solution. I don't see it really. If you are looking or problems you will always find them. I have to start enjoying the tv as well bc I find myself looking and comparing for issues as well.
I just exchanged my 50" for the 60"ST 60 last week and it is the best deal out there now in my opinion. I mean $1500 smackaroo's for a 60" Panasonic plasma of this caliber is Outstanding!!!! I'm even thinking of exchanging for the 65" if I can get it for $2299 as I see it advertised some places. I live in NJ and have 2 places that sell for lass than BB. Abesofmaine as store 30 minutes from me and eastcoastv (have not bought from them yet) is also under an hour away, and they have a walk in warehouse location you can buy from and take tv home.
I almost ordered the VT60 the other night but decided to wait until the ZT60 hit stores and I can get some reviews on it. I was also considering caving in and going for the first iteration of Sony's 4k that you can preorder on their site. im not convinced yet the ZT will be way better. Reviewers are equating the ST60 to last years VT50. Suffice to say VT50 owners can't be happy considering they prob spent 3k just a few months ago thinking they were getting a deal on last years model. I'm glad I didn't let the BB sales guy talk me into that 50gt50 2 months back for $1250 This ST60 is amazing for the money.
post #43 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by $$Buck-Naked$$ View Post

Thumbs up for even less accurate TVs using copied and thus flawed settings. Every TV is different so settings can't be copied period. If you want a calibrated TV better buy yourself a colorimeter/spectrophotometer or hire a professional.
Obviously you can't beat a custom calibration but 98% of buyers don't go that route. I change and exchange and swap out TV's sometimes as often as I change heater and central ac filters. That would add up to 2 to 3 thousand dollars a year for me. I'd rather just spend that extra money on new bowers & Wilkins, paradigm or Martin & Logan speakers or buy a new amp &/or preamp. Or better yet just save that money. I can think of many things I'd rather do with my hard earned money rather than pay someone to calibrate my TV's 3 to 5 times a year.
I got sucked into that a few years ago and paid for a custom calibration 3 times. I myself don't find it worth it compared to what you can find on Internet and then make adjustments yourself to fine tailor PQ. Even custom calibrations will need to be recalibrated most likely after some time as the set ages. Either way not worth it to me. Better things to spend your money on. If I saw that much of a diff I would but I don't.
post #44 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

When you use someone else's work product and decide to spread them around/share them, it's best that you credit the person who did them. Also, don't try to sound more knowledgeably than you are. Otherwise, you'll get little respect here.
WOW. Who said anything about respect. I wasn't looking for respect. I get plenty of that from my career and my family. I'm not seeking credibility from people addicted to this site. Many would say my ego is inflated enough from many other avenues. I'm just looking for some good info and in return provide some info. I think you are being rather harsh.
I never thought to give credit to anyone let alone another website. I never said I calibrated it myself or paid for this calibration. You know what they say about people who assume things. I'm sorry I don't know the proper etiquette to making a post here. I'm not addicted to these sites like you are. I've seen your name on other sites. I guess posting on all these sites makes up your extra curricular. How was I trying to sound knowledgable? You don't know me. For you to make a comment like that and get your panties in a bunch about me posting calibration settings that many were seeking anyway is laughable and ridiculous. I may not be the most knowledgable in this area but I know more than most of the people visiting this site. I see so many comments from mostly noobs on this site asking stupid basic question. I have not desired to purchase a spectrometer and camera to calibrate myself but rest assured If I did I would surpass anything you know in 2 weeks time. I'm an intense dude who strives for perfection in everything I do. That is why I have been so successful. I am not looking to argue with anyone. I don't need to come here and get picked on bc I provided settings for people who own this tv. Instead of making it easy for everyone I guess you would rather me post hey go to this site and get your settings folks. Please there is way more to worry about in this world than who is getting credit for measly calibration settings.
post #45 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I will keep that in mind next time I post anything, considering the backlash I may just take info instead if giving it. I don't have the time to go back and forth with people. I only meant to provide this info for people who actually own this tv and will us it to get better PQ.
Thanks for heads up about plasmatvbuying guide. Before this year they provided more in depth calibrations vs CNET. This is the first time I have used a setting from them and I posted it bc it does look better than the other settings. Being new here I did not want to direct people to another site. I wasn't sure how that would look. I figured mostly noobs would use settings and be happy with them. I just don't appreciate being somewhat attacked by some people here, anyways thanks for the heads up on that site making money per click. I did not identify it as one.
Is it affiliated with eastcoastv?
post #46 of 53 Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

I just got the 60" version last week of the st60 and I have to say it seems better than the 50". The judder is less pronounced and there seems less crosstalk on 3d.
post #47 of 53 Old 07-29-2013, 05:36 PM

Hi there,

I've just bought a ST60 and configure it with these settings and it looks great ! Thanks for sharing !

Anyway, I can't really trust my eyes and would like to acquire a calibrate tool. What's the best out there for less than 400€ ? I would use it to calibrate my plasma with different input : ps3 and HTPC running Linux.

Thanks !
post #48 of 53 Old 10-06-2013, 02:04 PM

I broke in the panel using slides and entered D-Nice's settings on my 60TC-PST60. The colors look great but the image is a little dim, with significant loss of detail in the shadows. Dark sections of movies and video games loose their definition almost completely. I've turned up the brightness to +18, gamma to 2.2... This helped but has not solved the issue.

Are there any other settings I should look into that would address this problem?

post #49 of 53 Old 11-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
A brightness setting that high will kill your contrast ratio and make your blacks grey for sure. My brightness setting after a 2 point greyscale calibration , I have a id3pro meter and chromapure with GCD calibration disk is at -1. Black clipping pattern 16 invisible 17 barely visible. My gamma setting is at 2.6 which is closest to 2.22.

I would just reset everything back to defaults and just do a basic setup using one of the free disks out there GCD, AVS HD709 etc. or try cnet's st60 settings. I do warn you though , that copying over another set's calibrated settings is basically a crap shoot you could make the picture a lot worse then factory settings. I tried cnet's myself and I didn't mind the image however I will do a full calibration on my set when I have more hours on it.
post #50 of 53 Old 11-14-2013, 05:48 AM

Hi All,

I just bought the ST60 and agree that using D-Nice settings and slides the picture on a blu-ray movie is down right stunning but when I watch normal tv (on HD channels) the picture is just OK. Should I use different settings? Or is there something I am missing.

Thanks
post #51 of 53 Old 11-30-2013, 07:58 PM

Hi,

I just got the ST 60 yesterday and I have been playing with the picture. I found these calibration settings and put them in but the results were not as good as I was expecting. I watch hockey (like most good Canadians), and I must say if you want to calibrate a TV, use hockey for a benchmark. There is a lot of required color, there are blacks and more importantly, the ice needs to look like ice. With the posted settings I found the ice was dull and brownish colored. As well (and still an issue) my cable box guide looks fuzzy.

I have tweaked these custom calibration settings a little which as improved the picture IMO, but I still don't know if this is the best I can get but it's getting close. The changes I made to the posted calibration was:

- Motion blur: Low (hockey moves fast)
- Sharpe: 20
- Panel brightness: Mid

I'm a novice when it comes to this type of thing so I don't know how my settings mess up the custom posted settings, I'm just going by what I think looks good. I see you guys talking about D-Nice settings so I'll need to look into that as well.

I'm wondering though, is there a break in period on these TV's where the picture will gradually improve.

Thanks.
post #52 of 53 Old 12-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Check post 2 in this thread. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread

Using Custom settings. The only thing I changed is I have contrast set at 85, left brightness at 0, gamma at 2.4 as I have the 60". I never changed any of the Detailed or Color Adjustments. My picture is great, ice color in hockey games has a slightly greyish tint to it which I feel is closer than what lcd gives you (bright white).

By the way I never ran the slides just made sure to watch only full screen hd content w/o scrolling text such as espn has, at least for very long.
post #53 of 53 Old 12-01-2013, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the info.

I have now tried the calibration that was posted on this site, as well I tracked down the D-nice settings that are on another Calibration Forum and set those. I found those to be closer to the cinema settings, which I find to dark. Funny enough, I did adjust those D-nice settings to my liking before seeing your post about what you did. My adjustments to the custom settings where:

Contrast: 85 (like I said, without seeing your post. So we must be right. smile.gif
Brightness: 0
Sharpness: 26 (I'm finding the Sharpness listed on those custom calibration posts make the letters on the cable guild screen blurry, so my turning it up, I'm getting a better result for the image and picture)
Color temp: warm1
Color gamut: Native

I will try these settings for a while.. I haven't seen a hockey game with these settings yet, so we'll see. I think the white might be too white now, which is a good problem.

Oh, and I still haven't figured out what slides are for so I'm not using them either.

Cheers!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page