Tuner needed for my PRO-141FD Signature Series monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-05-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Location: I live on 140 acres about 30 miles South of Louisville KY, and have a 40 acre lake in my backyard. And no, I do not fish! In fact, I do not own a piece of fishing equipment to my name.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If this question or topic has been discussed, which based on the number of posts on Pioneer monitors, probably exists somewhere, please forgive me and overlook my horrific affliction with ADD. Unfortunately when you have Attention Deficit Disorder and you also happen to be 51 years old, people tend to think that you are too lazy to look for answers yourself. I have Googled, Binged, Yahoo'd, and searched forums until I am beyond frustrated. I am hoping somebody will be willing to help me find some answers, in lieu of flaming me for not using the search feature, or figuring it out myself. I have truly tried, and cannot come up with a good answer or solution.

I live in a rural area where cable TV and high speed Internet do not exist. The only options that I have are all satellite based, which I had been a DirecTV subscriber from it's introduction, and rely on very expensive HughesNet for my Internet, which in no way can be described as high speed! I am allotted 475 mb per 24 hours, and if I go over that amount, I am subject to FAP mode (Fair Access Policy) which basically paralyzes your network to the point that you cannot open something as simple as a search engine website without it timing out. Obviously the option to stream movies or other programming is non-existent. I cancelled my DirecTV service several months ago and have relied solely on Blu rays and DVDs to entertain myself. Now with OTR programming being all digital, and more and more networks being created, plus the vastly improved technology of OTA antennas, it is now a viable option for me to utilize this free programming, which before was not an option due to my distance from the closest city that broadcasts, the analog signals, and the horrible options of antennas and other devices to capture these low definition broadcasts. Something that would be almost painful to watch, now that I have become accustomed to 1080p viewing around 85% of the time, and upconverting anything less than that with my source players.

What I am trying to find out, figure out, or learn, is what do I need, or what can I use as a tuner for my Pioneer Elite PRO-141FD, to be able to add an OTR antenna, and start using public programming? If there is a standalone device that is compatible with this monitor, that would be wonderful. If not, I need to know what I need, or can use to be able to accomplish this feat.

If there is such a device available, will it be able to provide a 1080p signal to the plasma panel, as it is my understanding that some of the OTR programming is a 1080p signal.

I can assure you that your help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, if there is someone out there that can give me the guidance that I need to figure this out.

Thank you in advance for your potential help,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Yes you can use a stand-alone ATSC Tuner to pull in the local channels over a roof antenna. It connects to your TV via HDMI, but there is no 1080p content being broadcast over the air - just 720p and 1080i.

Some ATSC Tuber possibilities:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=cm-7001&d=Channel-Master-CM7001-ATSC%2FQAM-Digital-HD-Antenna-Tuner-CM-7001

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd205LEmain.htm

How about an HD Tivo? Or maybe a simpler an OTA DVR?

http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrxmain.htm

Another option is to get an ATSC HD Tuner Card or a fancy Ceton HTPC 4-tuner DVR card for a PC.

For antenna info a good source is antennaweb dot org, you input your address and it tells you how far you are from your local broadcast towers and helps you choose an antenna:

http://antennaweb.org/

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 3 Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Location: I live on 140 acres about 30 miles South of Louisville KY, and have a 40 acre lake in my backyard. And no, I do not fish! In fact, I do not own a piece of fishing equipment to my name.
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Randy, Thank you so much for your very thorough, educational, and informative reply. You provided me with some great suggestions, and/or solutions. I have no clue that I would have options like that. So many sound so good, or interesting, I fear this is going to be a project that is much like when I go to a restaurant like TGI Fridays, or O' Charley's, or the like where they literally have too many choices and I sit and stare at the menu for 20 minutes while my family gets highly irritated with me.
When you have ADD, choices can become intimidating and overwhelming, and of course with a side order of mild OCD, I always over-analyze everything!
It's a shame that Pioneer didn't make an optional tuner for the 9G monitors, for people like myself that personally preferred the 141 over the 151 that has the built-in tuner, base, speakers, etc. I had no need for the tuner then, and having an outboard tuner would not have bothered me on bit. I like separate components when possible anyway. I am sure to come up with a good solution in time, with your help and suggestions. I greatly appreciate your taking the time to spend putting that together in a way it was easy for me to utilize.
Lastly, I did want to acknowledge that it was my intent to post this in the actual Pioneer PRO-141FD Owners Thread, and actually thought that is where it was placed. Much to my surprise, It was out in the middle of nowhere, and I am definitely grateful that a knowledgeable and understanding person found it and replied. I feel a bit dense because I still cannot see the way to move the thread over to that area, but to be honest, it might be best if didn't go there, and I ended up inundated with all kids of replies, including "the good, the bad, and the ugly!' I think it's wise that I start participating more and learning the tricks and shortcuts of posting, replying, or what have you.

Thank you very much for your generous time and help!

Tom
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pro 141fd 59 6 Elite Kuro Plasma Panel Widescreen 1080p Fullhd
Gear in this thread - 141fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page