Confuse on plasma or led. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'am looking at the plasma 65 vt 50 panasonic. The problem is that I have compare it next to each other with the led sharp le 60 lc 835 and the led blows the plasma away. The plasma white were grey and when there is yellow everything went yellowis. It is like looking at the scene with a light pair of sun glasses. Well with the led everything is very clear and reproduced colors very much life like. I read so much good review about the plasma's that I really want to know why, but have yet to experience it myself. When I checkt the Tv's we even had the lights lowerd were we were doing the viewing. So it was not the lighting. I'am wondering if it was the calibration. I cant believe that a tv who has won the best tv award of 2012 lookt so poor and more like a old fashion tube tv. The image was very sharp but everything was dim like if I was watching it wearing a pair of sun glasses. Can any one explain to me if it normal and that plasma are way less bright then led or that maybe it needed to be calibrated. Thanks appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 865
If the Sharp LED picture looks best to you then buy the Sharp. Why do you want people to convince you otherwise. in the end you will be watching the TV not us.

If you want to know the differences between LED and Plasma just do a search. There are a ton of articles on it but no matter who says what is better what you like should outweigh anything.

Now, just my quick opinion. LED TVs can get way brighter. Does that mean the picture is better. Absolutely not. Does it look better in a showroom. Are you seeing the true picture quality. Nope. You are seeing a overly bright LED TV next to a Plasma. Having owned an LG 55lm7600 LED TV and now the Samsung PN60E7000 Plasma I can tell you in my bright room the plasma does a better job of handling glare. The screen on Plasma kind os eats up the reflections while the LED puts in right on top of everything with it's mirror like screen.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 05:57 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by balisurfer View Post

I'am looking at the plasma 65 vt 50 panasonic. The problem is that I have compare it next to each other with the led sharp le 60 lc 835 and the led blows the plasma away. The plasma white were grey and when there is yellow everything went yellowis. It is like looking at the scene with a light pair of sun glasses. Well with the led everything is very clear and reproduced colors very much life like. I read so much good review about the plasma's that I really want to know why, but have yet to experience it myself. When I checkt the Tv's we even had the lights lowerd were we were doing the viewing. So it was not the lighting. I'am wondering if it was the calibration. I cant believe that a tv who has won the best tv award of 2012 lookt so poor and more like a old fashion tube tv. The image was very sharp but everything was dim like if I was watching it wearing a pair of sun glasses. Can any one explain to me if it normal and that plasma are way less bright then led or that maybe it needed to be calibrated. Thanks appreciate the help.

While plasmas don't get as bright as LCDs, they are still sufficiently bright for most room environments unless you plan on using one as a computer monitor, where large amounts of pure white are displayed. If the display was put on Cinema/THX Cinema mode, please note that calibrated settings are noticeably brighter than the either of the modes.

I suggest you search for the Official Pioneer Kuro Pictures Thread to get an idea of what how it's supposed to look.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I can only tell you from my own personal experience that what you see in LED/LCD in the store quickly gets old when you bring the set home and have to watch it day after day... and likewise, that plasma "dullness" actually starts sitting comfortably in your eyes and starts looking more accurate as time goes on.

Maybe if you don't watch TV often it won't be much of an issue, but after owning an LCD for some years then watching plasma, I just can't enjoy my LCD as much.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

Unles both sets were both off "torch" mode and had thier settings adjusted there is no real way to tell what difference there really is. Remember whats accurate and what you may prefer when viewing TV may be two different things. Are you looking for the "pop" of an LCD? At store setting usually LCDs will look more appealing becasue they are brighter (offer more light output) than a plasma. On ther other hand, if you are watching in a light controlled\dark environment then plasma will off better blacks (unless you are willing to to the "high end" LCD sets which offer compareable if not better blacks. Then you have to worry about flashlighting and blooming and banding with LCD as well wink.gif

At the end of the day there is only one wrong decision you can make and that is choosing a TV you are not happy with. It dosent matter the technology, if you are happy with the picture then choose the right TV for you, no one has to live with the set but you and your family.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Think of it this way. Some people enjoy french pastries and espresso at a fine restaurant and others will eat cat vomit if you add enough chocolate syrup and sugar.

Tony
post #7 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Can any one explain to me if it normal and that plasma are way less bright then led or that maybe it needed to be calibrated.
It's not normal.

Plasmas have way less light output than leds do. This doesn't necessarily mean they will appear less "bright".

The plasma needs to be adjusted. It can look much better than it does now, and probably better than the led. You complain about a yellowish cast -- well, just go to the ordinary user controls and change that. If it seems dim, turn up the contrast.

Greg Lee
post #8 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

Think of it this way. Some people enjoy french pastries and espresso at a fine restaurant and others will eat cat vomit if you add enough chocolate syrup and sugar.
So....in this 'hood, the math has been simplified to:

Plasma display = fine restaurant dining
LED display = cat vomit

Haven't visited the good ol' Plasma forum in a while -- wondered if attitudes and literacy have evolved and matured.

Apparently not.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first cousin's husband really likes bright TV's. He would not know a good picture if you painted on a 2x4 and slapped him in the face with it. He was bragging about a Quatron he saw with the extra yellow color. Adding yellow cat vomit to RGB isn't going improve a thing! eek.gif

I summer interned at a television station and built my first TV. Heathkit did a good job of explaining TV tech as well as how to adjust a television.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Samsung Pn60e7000 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Ultra Slim Plasma Hdtv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page