Is the Panasonic VT30 still worth buying? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AdamHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I brought my wife with me to my local "Video Only" store today to out the Panasonic ST60 and a couple other TV's, when I came across a 2011 65" VT30 they had on display. They had it priced at $1699. The sales guy who I was talking to said it used to be a display unit for a Dolby set up. He proceded to show me that it did have a tiny bit of burn-in ("Dolby" logo on the bottom right hand corner) that I finally saw once the screen was white after watching for a minute or so. I was definitely appreciative of his honesty, but dismissed the set (as I would not buy a TV that has burn in). Me and my wife WERE both really impressed with the image quality though, especially with it being a 2 year old TV. She REALLY liked the single sheet of glass design (even though the bezel IS pretty thick, by today's standards). So, here's my question... Would anyone consider buying a 65" VT30 still? With VT50's nearly impossible to find (at a decent price), the VT60's a bit out of my price range, I am almost thinking this may still be a great option. All time TVs has the 65" VT30's brand new for $2299 shipped. Am I crazy for even considering this as an option? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
AdamHD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 04-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Member
 
MrJai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Low ball it. Use the burn in as an excuse. Very worth plasma, I own a 65 and love it. Im planning to upgrade to Z60 next year when the prices go down

MrJai is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 04-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
RodK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would still go with an ST60. It should outperform the VT30.

RodK is offline  
post #4 of 36 Old 04-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Omni009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The Video Onlys here in CA have had the VT30 65 inch on clearance (Demo model it says). They seem to have a few that they are still trying to offload.

Omni009 is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
hodges69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Love mine..after Chad B's calibration...it looked marvelous....Of course,all owners are going to pretty much say this about the sets they own...lest they admit to making a mistake...See if you can contact a calibrator who has worked on this set,,,,most will be glad to give you an unbiased opinion.
hodges69 is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 1,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Had my Dnice calibrated 65vt30 with under 1000 hours for about 1.5 years and never a problem. I may sell it cheap if thenew ZT60 is really that much better.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
CHASLS2 is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,919
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post

I would still go with an ST60. It should outperform the VT30.

I second this look for a 65ST60 from the looks of it, the set may out perform the VT30......
Ph8te is online now  
post #8 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AdamHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm sure the ST60 will probably outperform the VT30. It also weighs less, uses less power, and comes with 2 sets of glasses. I was just really impressed with the PQ on the VT30. It looked as good as any other tv in that store. Now, granted they did not have a 65" ST60 in stock yet, but they had a 55" to compare it to. They honestly had very similar PQ. The "one sheet of glass design" of the VT (30,50, and now 60) series does look a lot more classy than the black plastic bezel on the ST60, IMO. I am definitely a "picture quality" over anything else. My wife is more of the "aesthetic look" of the TV, as it is going to be the center piece of the living room. The VT series seems to be a good compromise between both of us. Believe me, it took some convincing on why we should get a thick(er) bezel plasma, as opposed to a no bezel LED. Haha. Either way, I MAY just hold off and save up a little more money and grab a VT60 when they are out (that is sounding like as early as next week). Looks like "sale" price on the 65" VT60 is $2999. Man.... Decisions decisions. Lol.
AdamHD is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,919
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

I'm sure the ST60 will probably outperform the VT30. It also weighs less, uses less power, and comes with 2 sets of glasses. I was just really impressed with the PQ on the VT30. It looked as good as any other tv in that store. Now, granted they did not have a 65" ST60 in stock yet, but they had a 55" to compare it to. They honestly had very similar PQ. The "one sheet of glass design" of the VT (30,50, and now 60) series does look a lot more classy than the black plastic bezel on the ST60, IMO. I am definitely a "picture quality" over anything else. My wife is more of the "aesthetic look" of the TV, as it is going to be the center piece of the living room. The VT series seems to be a good compromise between both of us. Believe me, it took some convincing on why we should get a thick(er) bezel plasma, as opposed to a no bezel LED. Haha. Either way, I MAY just hold off and save up a little more money and grab a VT60 when they are out (that is sounding like as early as next week). Looks like "sale" price on the 65" VT60 is $2999. Man.... Decisions decisions. Lol.

If asthetics are that inportant, tehn I would save for the better set wink.gif While I am sure the VT30 is a great set, the fact that you would be getting one with visable IR would bother me too greatly to actually buy the set.....Each person is going to treat this differently, but I think they probably could do better on the price as well as throw in some extra protection for you in case you need\want to return the set.....
Ph8te is online now  
post #10 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
RodK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you can squeeze the VT60 into your budget, I would most likely wait for that one to be available. It sounds Like its going to be a killer set!!

RodK is offline  
post #11 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AdamHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

If asthetics are that inportant, tehn I would save for the better set wink.gif While I am sure the VT30 is a great set, the fact that you would be getting one with visable IR would bother me too greatly to actually buy the set.....Each person is going to treat this differently, but I think they probably could do better on the price as well as throw in some extra protection for you in case you need\want to return the set.....

Thanks for the advice. As I said in my first post, I already ruled out the display model they had there because of the burn in.... I MAY consider haggling just to see if I could get the price down to a low enough price (and possible warranty extension) I could justify the burn in. Definitely would have to be like $1400-1500 out the door, or something in that range. I mean it IS a 65" tv, that was arguably the best TV you could purchase at the time of it's release, and I could definitely live with a tiny bit of burn in if I got a killer deal.

I was mainly asking opinions on buying a brand new, "in box" 65" VT30, though. Found them online for $2299 (no tax), shipped. Looks like the 65" ST60's are going for $200-300 more than that price.... even though I don't understand the pricing ($1000 more than the 60" ST60) on those. That is a whole different topic though. The VT60 is looking to be a good option too. If it's only $500 or so more than the ST60, that seems like a no brainer (if I go with a 2013 model TV). Ultimately, I wish I could find a (NIB) 65" VT50 for a good price. I'd gladly pay up to $2500 for one, but they are absolutely nowhere to be found.
AdamHD is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

I brought my wife with me to my local "Video Only" store today to out the Panasonic ST60 and a couple other TV's, when I came across a 2011 65" VT30 they had on display. They had it priced at $1699. The sales guy who I was talking to said it used to be a display unit for a Dolby set up. He proceded to show me that it did have a tiny bit of burn-in ("Dolby" logo on the bottom right hand corner) that I finally saw once the screen was white after watching for a minute or so. I was definitely appreciative of his honesty, but dismissed the set (as I would not buy a TV that has burn in). Me and my wife WERE both really impressed with the image quality though, especially with it being a 2 year old TV. She REALLY liked the single sheet of glass design (even though the bezel IS pretty thick, by today's standards). So, here's my question... Would anyone consider buying a 65" VT30 still? With VT50's nearly impossible to find (at a decent price), the VT60's a bit out of my price range, I am almost thinking this may still be a great option. All time TVs has the 65" VT30's brand new for $2299 shipped. Am I crazy for even considering this as an option? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Seriously, even the ST50 is notably better than the VT30.

I have a pro cal'd 65ST30 which is almost as good as the VT30, but it's just not on the same level as 2013 displays.

DavidHir is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AdamHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Seriously, even the ST50 is notably better than the VT30.

I have a pro cal'd 65ST30 which is almost as good as the VT30, but it's just not on the same level as 2013 displays.

I'm not disputing that fact at all. Just HOW MUCH better are they, really? All in all, the last 4 years of high end Panasonic Plasmas ALL have great picture quality (especially pro calibrated), incrementally getting better and adding more bells and whistles each year. But still staying relatively close in picture quality. Still trying to understand why the 65" ST50's and GT50's are still ridiculously priced right now. You'd think they would be blowing out old inventory, not pricing 2012 models HIGHER than 2013 models. Those are both out of the question, just on pricing alone. And, like I said before, it's near impossible to find VT50's under $3200. Guess I'll just wait on the VT60's to hit stores, Or wait and see if the 65" ST60's get "sale" priced closer to $2000. Thanks for your input, everyone.
AdamHD is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post



I'm not disputing that fact at all. Just HOW MUCH better are they, really? All in all, the last 4 years of high end Panasonic Plasmas ALL have great picture quality (especially pro calibrated), incrementally getting better and adding more bells and whistles each year. But still staying relatively close in picture quality. Still trying to understand why the 65" ST50's and GT50's are still ridiculously priced right now. You'd think they would be blowing out old inventory, not pricing 2012 models HIGHER than 2013 models. Those are both out of the question, just on pricing alone. And, like I said before, it's near impossible to find VT50's under $3200. Guess I'll just wait on the VT60's to hit stores, Or wait and see if the 65" ST60's get "sale" priced closer to $2000. Thanks for your input, everyone.

Just "how much" really depends on the person and what is noticed. The 2012 MLL's are about half of the 2011s. Color more accurate, brighter, etc.

DavidHir is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,919
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post



I'm not disputing that fact at all. Just HOW MUCH better are they, really? All in all, the last 4 years of high end Panasonic Plasmas ALL have great picture quality (especially pro calibrated), incrementally getting better and adding more bells and whistles each year. But still staying relatively close in picture quality. Still trying to understand why the 65" ST50's and GT50's are still ridiculously priced right now. You'd think they would be blowing out old inventory, not pricing 2012 models HIGHER than 2013 models. Those are both out of the question, just on pricing alone. And, like I said before, it's near impossible to find VT50's under $3200. Guess I'll just wait on the VT60's to hit stores, Or wait and see if the 65" ST60's get "sale" priced closer to $2000. Thanks for your input, everyone.

For the 2012 models, youll see them listed at "bad prices" because there are still people out there that dont know any better and will pay those prices. Personally if you see a set you like, contact the seller make a case and offer a lower amount. The worst thing that could happen is that they say no wink.gif .....

As David said though the "worth" is something personal we cant decide the worth to you, only the worth as it appears to us.,The 2012s were an improvement over the 2011 sets, but the 2013 sets so far are proving to be the "jump" rather than just incremental over 2012 sets....If PQ is important to you adam, I would go with a 2012 set, not only would you get the best performance PQ with most likely, but your set would "last" you a bit longer before you get upgradeitis again wink.gif .......
Ph8te is online now  
post #16 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AdamHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Just "how much" really depends on the person and what is noticed. The 2012 MLL's are about half of the 2011s. Color more accurate, brighter, etc.
That's understandable. I do follow TV's/home theater pretty closely (I worked for a home theater install company for several years), and currently own a pro-calibrated C8000 Samsung plasma. Maybe I'm just not that much of a videophile to notice THAT much of a difference in the high-end sets, though. When you get the TV home and not hooked up to a calibration meter, its all subjective. Just trying to say blacks/contrast looked pretty darn good on that VT30. Of the other TV's at video only, I was impressed by the Samsung F8500, but have yet to see a set that is a total "game changer". Maybe the ZT60 will be that tv. I have a feeling that we won't see a major change in picture quality until the OLED TVs are out.
AdamHD is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AdamHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

For the 2012 models, youll see them listed at "bad prices" because there are still people out there that dont know any better and will pay those prices. Personally if you see a set you like, contact the seller make a case and offer a lower amount. The worst thing that could happen is that they say no wink.gif .....

As David said though the "worth" is something personal we cant decide the worth to you, only the worth as it appears to us.,The 2012s were an improvement over the 2011 sets, but the 2013 sets so far are proving to be the "jump" rather than just incremental over 2012 sets....If PQ is important to you adam, I would go with a 2012 set, not only would you get the best performance PQ with most likely, but your set would "last" you a bit longer before you get upgradeitis again wink.gif .......
Hahaha. True, true. I am currently very happy with my 50" C8000, but I just moved into a new place and (with the new layout) we sit 11-12 feet away... Which has made the TV "shrink" (we used to sit about 6 feet from the TV). I am really appreciative of the input from everyone. Seems like people who have a VT30 are happy with it, also seems like people are also of the opinion that if I'm gonna buy "new", I should buy NEW... Which was my original choice. Just got thrown for a loop with this VT30
AdamHD is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,919
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

Hahaha. True, true. I am currently very happy with my 50" C8000, but I just moved into a new place and (with the new layout) we sit 11-12 feet away... Which has made the TV "shrink" (we used to sit about 6 feet from the TV). I am really appreciative of the input from everyone. Seems like people who have a VT30 are happy with it, also seems like people are also of the opinion that if I'm gonna buy "new", I should buy NEW... Which was my original choice. Just got thrown for a loop with this VT30

Bargains will usually do that wink.gif especially when its a highly rated set.....I dont think youll have problems getting the VT30 if the VT60 doesnt seem like a big enough jump in quality for you, theyve been around this long, a week or two shouldnt hurt wink.gif In the end as long as you and your family are happy thats all that matters no matter what set you choose.
Ph8te is online now  
post #19 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM
Newbie
 
Mauriziooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Buy just changed the price on the 65VT50 to $2,999. I'm wondering whether or not I should hold out as well.
Mauriziooo is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AdamHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauriziooo View Post

Best Buy just changed the price on the 65VT50 to $2,999. I'm wondering whether or not I should hold out as well.
That's actually quite interesting. Was $3299 yesterday. Obviously lowering the price because of VT60's hitting stores as early as next week... Still though, I wouldn't touch it at $2999. The 65" VT60's will be sale priced at $2999, and at the same price obviously anyone in their right mind would buy the VT60 over the VT50. HOPEFULLY nobody is dumb enough to buy the VT50's, and the price will continue to drop as they try to get rid of old stock. Like I said earlier, $2500 (or lower) and I'd probably pick one (VT50) up.
AdamHD is offline  
post #21 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

That's understandable. I do follow TV's/home theater pretty closely (I worked for a home theater install company for several years), and currently own a pro-calibrated C8000 Samsung plasma. Maybe I'm just not that much of a videophile to notice THAT much of a difference in the high-end sets, though. When you get the TV home and not hooked up to a calibration meter, its all subjective. Just trying to say blacks/contrast looked pretty darn good on that VT30. Of the other TV's at video only, I was impressed by the Samsung F8500, but have yet to see a set that is a total "game changer". Maybe the ZT60 will be that tv. I have a feeling that we won't see a major change in picture quality until the OLED TVs are out.

If you do dark room viewing, either Panasonic will be a nice boost in contrast and blacks over your C8000. However, I agree with you about not until OLED and the real major game changer. But, the Samsung F8500 and presumably VT60 and ZT60 are going to be very, very good displays.

DavidHir is offline  
post #22 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AdamHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

If you do dark room viewing, either Panasonic will be a nice boost in contrast and blacks over your C8000. However, I agree with you about not until OLED and the real major game changer. But, the Samsung F8500 and presumably VT60 and ZT60 are going to be very, very good displays.

Agreed. I am very excited to see the VT60 in person, and to read reviews once its released. I'm thinking that may be the TV I end up with (even if it takes a few more weeks of saving up for). I'm also REALLY excited to see the ZT60, but it is out of my price range. I can always stand there and stare at it in the store though. Haha.
AdamHD is offline  
post #23 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

Agreed. I am very excited to see the VT60 in person, and to read reviews once its released. I'm thinking that may be the TV I end up with (even if it takes a few more weeks of saving up for). I'm also REALLY excited to see the ZT60, but it is out of my price range. I can always stand there and stare at it in the store though. Haha.

Yep, been there and done that before in the store! smile.gif

I am seriously considering the 64" F8500, 65" VT60, and 65" ZT60. My friend will be give me a fair price on my 65ST30 which always was a "hold over" TV for me (good set, but not great).

DavidHir is offline  
post #24 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AdamHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post



Yep, been there and done that before in the store! smile.gif

I am seriously considering the 64" F8500, 65" VT60, and 65" ZT60. My friend will be give me a fair price on my 65ST30 which always was a "hold over" TV for me (good set, but not great).

That's good. I planned on moving the Samsung into our bedroom, but may end up selling it to a friend or family member. Gotta subsidize the price of that new tv somehow. Haha. In the bedroom, it will never get watched, and an extra few hundred bucks to put toward the 65" VT60 will make it a little easier.
AdamHD is offline  
post #25 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Absolutely. Selling my ST30 is how I am justifying the price of one of these new sets - that and telling myself no upgrading for 3-4 years. smile.gif

DavidHir is offline  
post #26 of 36 Old 04-08-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AdamHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just got a call from Video Only. They got in some 60" VT60's today. Hopefully going to go check one out after work. Just thought I'd share the info that these are showing up in stores!
AdamHD is offline  
post #27 of 36 Old 04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

Just got a call from Video Only. They got in some 60" VT60's today. Hopefully going to go check one out after work. Just thought I'd share the info that these are showing up in stores!

Great...nice to see these are starting to come in.

DavidHir is offline  
post #28 of 36 Old 04-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Member
 
MrJai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

Thanks for the advice. As I said in my first post, I already ruled out the display model they had there because of the burn in.... I MAY consider haggling just to see if I could get the price down to a low enough price (and possible warranty extension) I could justify the burn in. Definitely would have to be like $1400-1500 out the door, or something in that range. I mean it IS a 65" tv, that was arguably the best TV you could purchase at the time of it's release, and I could definitely live with a tiny bit of burn in if I got a killer deal.

I was mainly asking opinions on buying a brand new, "in box" 65" VT30, though. Found them online for $2299 (no tax), shipped. Looks like the 65" ST60's are going for $200-300 more than that price.... even though I don't understand the pricing ($1000 more than the 60" ST60) on those. That is a whole different topic though. The VT60 is looking to be a good option too. If it's only $500 or so more than the ST60, that seems like a no brainer (if I go with a 2013 model TV). Ultimately, I wish I could find a (NIB) 65" VT50 for a good price. I'd gladly pay up to $2500 for one, but they are absolutely nowhere to be found.

If you are planning to buy the VT30, it has to be for less than 2,299 (more in the 2.000 to 1,800 range just use the prices on 2012 line of plasmas as an argument point). I paid 2,699 for mine and that was a year ago and get Chad or D-Nice to calibrate the set and you will be very happy. Also very important to feed the highest possible definition to the set to get the best out if. I got me a Darbee darblet to complement my blu-ray player and also an Onkyo receiver (5009) to help upscale anything below 1080p and couldn't be happier. Take a look at my signature if you want to see pics of the TV hanging on a wall. If you want to pay lower prices on new TVs then wait until 2014 (FEB/MAR) that's when the previous model t typically goes on sale due to the new model coming out (I'm not sure how it's going to work next year if Panasonic will not be making Plasmas anymore, allegedly).

Also look for price reduction for a certain amount of time and a good return policy. That's how I got mine to 2,699 after I started at 3,999 (I monitored the price daily for 3 months).

MrJai is offline  
post #29 of 36 Old 04-13-2013, 06:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Leon!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Is the Panasonic VT30 still worth buying?

TV worth watching... is TV worth paying for.
Leon! is offline  
post #30 of 36 Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Newbie
 
mitcher78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The VT30 have less imput lag than the VT50 and VT60 series, and much less than the game-killer lag of the st60, so it is more responsive for gaming. That's a point to be considered, in fact the VT30 is one of the TVs with less lag on the market. On my opinion it is a very good choice, not as good as the VT60 (as it is normal, except for the lag), but definitively better than the ST60 in many aspects, with superior 3D performance and being THX certified.
mitcher78 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Zenith Z60pv220 60 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off