so how many of you are stuck with your MLB teams name and logo on your plasma so far? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 55
*hand up

Three game series between the Jays and the Redsox = MAJOR IR. I'm trying to forget about the 13-0 loss yet my panel is not letting me. I've got both logos and both city names seriously embedded right now. Panasonic 65" VT50...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had the FoxNews logo on my GT50 for a bit. Went away though... It will fade, trust me. I freaked out too, but running full content, and avoiding static logos, it will eventually go away.

And that's coming from a Yankees fan, no less!cool.gif

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-430 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V473 Receiver
Klipsch G-42 Soundbar
Klipsch SW-308 Sub
Harmony One Remote
post #3 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post

*hand up

Three game series between the Jays and the Redsox = MAJOR IR. I'm trying to forget about the 13-0 loss yet my panel is not letting me. I've got both logos and both city names seriously embedded right now. Panasonic 65" VT50...

Which set do you have?
post #4 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 311
When my Panasonic was new I was getting IR from The YES sports ticker during Yankee games. I ran a snowy white screen for several hours for a few days and it cleaned it up. Once I started to watch some full screen content after the games, it wasn't a problem. Now that the set is nearly 3 years old, IR isn't even an issue anymore, since the pixels have settled down.

Ian
Molot0k likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, luckily for me I had already read about all the horror stories of IR/BI that come with plasma technology so I figured it was only a matter of time. I had no idea it could pop out at you THAT MUCH though, it's literally like 60% of the actual density of the original picture that is stuck right now.
post #6 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Liked: 35
Badge of honor?
post #7 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 AM

Liked: 10
I have a base model 42" 2006 Hitachi plasma in the bedroom. I have no IR issues with it & I watch a lot of news & CNBC in the mornings.

Panasonic U50-60, Arcam AVP 700, Conrad Johnson MF 5600, Denon DVD 5900, Def Tech BP 2000 7.1
post #8 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys, luckily for me I had already read about all the horror stories of IR/BI that come with plasma technology so I figured it was only a matter of time. I had no idea it could pop out at you THAT MUCH though, it's literally like 60% of the actual density of the original picture that is stuck right now.

Seriously, what TV model are you using? I've watched countless hours of ESPN/Nat Geo whatever else at a time without switching channels and never encountered anything like this on either of my plasmas.
post #9 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Liked: 14
I have the st50 and it is bad with ir. my proBlem is after I get rid of certain logos I would like to watch that channel again. So here we go again with ir
post #10 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Has the set been calibrated? If not, which mode are you watching in?

At MINIMUM you should at least watch in the correct picture mode and set brightness and contrast
Molot0k likes this.
post #11 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 11:21 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
On the weekends i watch hours and hours of racing coverage and what little IR i get on my GT50's panel from the SPEED logo and tickers and banners goes away within minutes after switching to other full screen content. One weekend i had the 24 hours of Le Mans on my screen all day whether i was watching it or not, and later the 24 hours of Daytona and the 12 Hours of Sebring, plus hours and hours of Barrett Jackson auctions and Mecham auctions on my screen most of the day. The wife's Plasma has Food Network logo on screen for hours and hours and no persistent IR, and no burn-in on that TV either. Same goes for my other 2 Plasmas.

Some people's panels do seem to be more prone to IR, but most of us aren't having a problem with it.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #12 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Liked: 18
samsung pn60e6500 here. Most of my tv viewing is either cable news or sports and I've yet to see any IR. I don't think I could make it get any if I tried.
post #13 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

I have a 65" Panasonic VT50, like I said in the first post. The set has had D-Nice's settings with the contrast lowered to 86 and the brightness set to 52 for a while and before that I think I was running with Topper's. I would say I have about 600-700 hours on it and I baby it, believe me. I have a two year old and she gets about 2-3 hours of animated blu-rays when we get home from work every day after learning with grandma all day long! So full screen animated content is an everyday thing, which I've heard helps with panel break-in.
post #14 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 12:27 PM

I continue to see people saying that "most panels don't seem to do this," in reference to the 2012 Panasonics. While I can't disprove the statement based on my limited sample, I have tested 4 different 2012 Panasonics (1 GT50, 2 ST50's, 1 VT50) and they all display similar long-duration IR performance. And that performance is very poor. Certainly worse than my old 5080, which has never shown any long-duration IR throughout 16,000+ hours of completely irresponsible usage. And significantly worse than the 60+ inch 2012 Samsungs (though the 51" models did display the same IR performance as the Panasonics).

I will concede these points:
-Most of the IR is extremely hard to detect unless you hunt for it on solid color images. And if you have to hunt for it on slides that means it's not harming your experience with the TV. (However I have seen some IR that shows on bright panning shots, or images of relatively solid color like sky shots. You also might notice it on flat-shaded cartoons).
-It always seems to fade entirely over a matter of hours (though sometimes a 100% fade takes long enough that it essentially means days of "normal" usage).
-It doesn't really impact users who will be viewing mostly movies, TV shows from DVD/Blu-Ray, channels like HBO with no logos, etc. Black bars are not an issue with this type of IR, so the only worry is high brightness logos and game HUDs.

Even though I'm happy with my GT50 I still feel the need to be highly vocal on this issue. I'd like Plasma manufacturers to know that people are concerned about this and want it fixed in future versions. Early reports from ST60 owners suggest that they may indeed have improved the IR handling of the 2013 models, but it's too early to be certain unless you have access to one you can test yourself.
post #15 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

When my Panasonic was new I was getting IR from The YES sports ticker during Yankee games. I ran a snowy white screen for several hours for a few days and it cleaned it up. Once I started to watch some full screen content after the games, it wasn't a problem. Now that the set is nearly 3 years old, IR isn't even an issue anymore, since the pixels have settled down.

I agree. I have read a lot on this forum and others that the 2012 Panny Plasmas get more IR resistant as they age. My ST50 really seemed to settle down after 400 hours or so. My set is still new and I run the Disney WOW disc Pixel Flipper everyonce in a while, just in case.
post #16 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 745
IR is still obviously an issue with plasmas. One need only look at the many many posts on AVS from plasma owners from a variety of manufacturers. Many of these people have taken reasonable precautions but still have it.

As long as it fades over a short period, it's fine. If it doesn't, it's not.
post #17 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinbiscuits View Post

samsung pn60e6500 here. Most of my tv viewing is either cable news or sports and I've yet to see any IR. I don't think I could make it get any if I tried.

The Sammy pne6500 is known to be very resistant to IR.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57449881-221/samsung-plasma-wins-cnets-accidental-burn-in-test/
post #18 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 403
I've mentioned this in another thread, but I have a very, very faint History Channel logo on my ST30. I haven't tried techniques to remove it, but it only came from watching the channel 1-2 hours per day on average for the last year or so. I have watched A LOT of other material in the meantime, so it is a little bothersome although it's hardly noticeable and only on white or light gray backgrounds while looking for it. The average person would never see it.

post #19 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 01:09 PM

[quote name="headlesschickens" url="/t/1467331/so-how-many-of-you-are-stuck-with-your-mlb-teams-name-and-logo-on-your-plasma-so-far#post_23179862"Even though I'm happy with my GT50 I still feel the need to be highly vocal on this issue. I'd like Plasma manufacturers to know that people are concerned about this and want it fixed in future versions[/quote]

Good point. I shouldn't feel as if I have to baby my panel by running a pixel flipper overnight roughly twice per month.
post #20 of 28 Old 04-08-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlesschickens View Post

I continue to see people saying that "most panels don't seem to do this," in reference to the 2012 Panasonics. While I can't disprove the statement based on my limited sample, I have tested 4 different 2012 Panasonics (1 GT50, 2 ST50's, 1 VT50) and they all display similar long-duration IR performance. And that performance is very poor. Certainly worse than my old 5080, which has never shown any long-duration IR throughout 16,000+ hours of completely irresponsible usage. And significantly worse than the 60+ inch 2012 Samsungs (though the 51" models did display the same IR performance as the Panasonics).

I will concede these points:
-Most of the IR is extremely hard to detect unless you hunt for it on solid color images. And if you have to hunt for it on slides that means it's not harming your experience with the TV. (However I have seen some IR that shows on bright panning shots, or images of relatively solid color like sky shots. You also might notice it on flat-shaded cartoons).
-It always seems to fade entirely over a matter of hours (though sometimes a 100% fade takes long enough that it essentially means days of "normal" usage).
-It doesn't really impact users who will be viewing mostly movies, TV shows from DVD/Blu-Ray, channels like HBO with no logos, etc. Black bars are not an issue with this type of IR, so the only worry is high brightness logos and game HUDs.

Even though I'm happy with my GT50 I still feel the need to be highly vocal on this issue. I'd like Plasma manufacturers to know that people are concerned about this and want it fixed in future versions. Early reports from ST60 owners suggest that they may indeed have improved the IR handling of the 2013 models, but it's too early to be certain unless you have access to one you can test yourself.

I absolutely agree with you, as I have a ST50, a GT50 and my new 2013 55ST60 is its way to my house in Florida. The 2012s that I've had ALL had IR from the FoxNews logo. My guess is that the 3D Pannys are just more susceptible to it. I'll keep a closer eye on the ST60 to see if the "improvement" is for real.

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-430 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V473 Receiver
Klipsch G-42 Soundbar
Klipsch SW-308 Sub
Harmony One Remote
post #21 of 28 Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

well 5-6 Disney flicks in full screen, 7 hours of white / grey slides in vivid mode and 30 minutes of scrolling bar and the IR is still there. The IR is a nice match to the globs of whatever it is underneath the screen that can't be cleaned. Great job Panasonic.
post #22 of 28 Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFabozzi View Post

I absolutely agree with you, as I have a ST50, a GT50 and my new 2013 55ST60 is its way to my house in Florida. The 2012s that I've had ALL had IR from the FoxNews logo. My guess is that the 3D Pannys are just more susceptible to it. I'll keep a closer eye on the ST60 to see if the "improvement" is for real.

It'd be great to hear back from you after you've spent some time with the ST60 if possible. I doubt any actual review site is going to be doing IR testing (that CNet test last year was an accident), and I haven't heard anyone else who's familiar with the 2012 IR saying they've purchased a 2013 model yet. I think there are plenty of people on here who'd appreciate hearing about your experience with it.
Quote:

well 5-6 Disney flicks in full screen, 7 hours of white / grey slides in vivid mode and 30 minutes of scrolling bar and the IR is still there. The IR is a nice match to the globs of whatever it is underneath the screen that can't be cleaned. Great job Panasonic.

Serious long-duration IR can take a good bit longer than that to resolve in my experience. I had a particularly difficult HUD element from Borderlands 2 that took a full 36 hours of fairly bright content to go away. Has it gotten any less distinct at all?

IMO the 2012 Panasonics represent a really odd middle step in Panasonic's plasma development; they're far superior to the 2011 plasmas as far as overall picture quality, at least from what I've observed, but it seems they compromised some basic issues like IR performance and screen uniformity in the process. From everything I've read so far it looks like it's possible that the 2013 models are essentially the "2nd gen" versions of the XX50 technology. Of course this may be consistent with technology development in general (large step forward with potential issues introduced, incremental update that fixes some of those issues, repeat). I might feel bad about my purchase of a 2012 model if I hadn't gotten it for such a low price. As it is, I won't feel particularly bad picking up a VT or ZT later this year (assuming the IR really has been sorted out).
post #23 of 28 Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
My old plasma (TH-50PX75U) has the MLB Network and ticker burned all the way in... when I watch now on MLB TV I will switch to normal content during "Commercial break in progress" which helps alot. I get very little IR from the YES scoreboard but it's gone very quickly.

post #24 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 04:28 PM

Honestly, why get upset with the TV manufacturers, its the damn greedy networks, whos "logos", which used to be just faint water-mark looking things, are getting BIGGER Brighter and spend more time on the screen.

Many Plasma models have WhiteWash and ColorFlip features, specifically added to clear out ghost images, check your manual to see if you have a similar feature. For those who dont have an IR cleansing feature, simply flip to TV-Antenna leave the "Snow" running for a good 10-15 minutes, and you should be good to go. (assuming you arent using an over the air DTV antenna, or CATV plugged directly into the set, if so, unplug that source for this procedure)
post #25 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
My PZ950 has been rock solid in terms of IR. Never had a single issue. It passed the March Madness test, the Masters test, the 2012 NHL/NBA post-season test, and my continuous gaming test(s) (sometimes 4-5 hours at a time.) I'm hoping it'll continue to perform and pass the 2013 NHL/NBA post-season tests with flying colors.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #26 of 28 Old 04-18-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
No logo IR at all on my VT50 watch the Reds every night

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #27 of 28 Old 04-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung PN51e5500 and I have logged about 200 hrs on it. Last night I popped in the hobbit 3d for about 10 minutes and it left the black bar IR. Samsung scrolling screen wipe got rid of it. I then turned to cnn to watch coverage of the plant explosion and when I turned my DirecTV box off I could see IR on the black screen. Once again screen wipe got rid of it. But my question is, how long of a time period is it until I can watch a 2 hour 2.39:1 movie without getting the Black bar IR or how long of a period is it until IR is not really an issue? Is there anything I can to to help this along or help in any way? TIA
post #28 of 28 Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM

Your image setup preferences will have an impact on how much, how often, and how long temporary IR show up. The brighter your settings, faster and deeper IR can happen, though it can usually be wiped out pretty easily by watching content, or using a feature/mode to whitewash it away.

Ive just accepted it as a downside of owning Plasma, which imo produce the best images, especially when set up properly, on the right source.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page