post #211 of 223 Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHD View Post

I had the EXACT same experience/reaction. I actually posted about it when I first got my 60" ST60 set (about a month ago) and nobody seemed to have the same issue/experience that I had. I also went from a C8000 to an ST60. The picture quality on HD cable channels with the C8000 was always rock solid. Ridiculously good looking. The ST60 is another story. Some programming looks great, but the majority (I'd say about 60%) of the programming is not very sharp (borderline blurry), sometimes "out of focus", and overall disappointing. After a month of using the set, I am now used to it. But, still believe the Samsung TVs have better processing when it comes to cable content.
That's not the conclusion I draw. The st60 gives a more faithful rendering of the picture that is there in the signal. If it's blurry, you get blurry. If it's sharp, you get sharp. Well, you ask, why not have sharp all the time, with a Samsung, if you can get it?

Here's why. Some TV pictures have both blurry parts and sharp parts. That is most obviously so for food shows, like the Bobby Flay Brunch example that I mentioned. They show the food with a camera adjusted to have a very shallow depth of field, so the food is in focus, and things behind or in front of it are blurry. I could see that effect on my old Samsung, but it just jumps out with the st60. And now that I look for it, I see it in movie transfers to video, also.

The st60 is very kind to good pictures, the Samsung is kind to bad ones.

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 223 Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremekizzle View Post

I keep reading about everyone bashing a pentile matrix, but none seem to know why they hate it, nor can they give conclusive data as to why it's inferior to a RGB matrix when viewing from more than 6 inches away from the display....
Let's start with a little history. In 2008, Samsung bought a company called PenTile and with it a quite peculiar matrix, the RGBG (or French, the RVBV Red Green Blue or Green). In this matrix, the green subpixel is sharing two pixels. The screen has only two subpixels per pixel instead of real 3 in a conventional matrix.
The human eye is more sensitive to green color, this technique reduces the number of "sub-pixels" and to increase the resolution for a given screen size without affecting too much the color rendering. However, by the admission of Samsung, this matrix has made ​​slightly less accurate than conventional RGB matrix.
To four real pixels, a typical matrix will need 12 sub-pixels (4 pixels in Red, Green and four subpixels four subpixels Blue) here or Pentile matrix RGBG will only need 8 subpixels (2 red, 2 blue and 4 green). The matrix RGBG therefore takes third place less than a RGB matrix. Resolution (in pixels calculated per unit length, often pixel per inch) can be increased by one third without taking up more space. That's the trick that Samsung used to obtain a resolution of 1920 × 1080 pixels on a flat screen.
It is a slab rabait that produce artifacts and does not respect the color fidelity ... wink.gif

Pioneer LX 5090H + Démo G5  C+ Csat HD + DD et la TNT + Pioneer LX55 + Sony BD-S790 ... Pana 50 ST60 + PS3 BD + Pioneer BD320 ... CRT Philips 32 PW 9520 P+2 DNM + TNT Thomson DTI 652 + Pioneer DV 380 ... BR 137 .

post #213 of 223 Old 06-06-2013, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I personally don't care about pentile, but for those who do.

Just bought 51" model PN51F5500 and it's not pentile

post #214 of 223 Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Again with misinformation about pentile. You will most likely not notice a difference in PQ unless you are sitting a lot closer than you should be anyways.

Anyways, I ended up going with the ST60. I love it. I'm sure the F5500 is a perfectly capable set but I didn't want to be second guessing my purchase the whole time. 3D is kind of meh on this set however and the smart tv interface could be improved upon. If those are features that you really care about I'd look at the F5500. 3D seems better on that and Samsung does have one of the best smart tv interfaces around.

post #215 of 223 Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 AM

CNET now has a review of the 51" 5500.
post #216 of 223 Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urga View Post

The ST60 has deeper blacks virtually the same as the VT60, the F5500 has a pentile RGBG slab, the slab ST60 to RGB ...
Clearly, the ST60 does not play in the same runs as the F5500 ... wink.gif

false information.

only the 60 inch F5500 is the one to stay away from. Pentile Slab that is.....

nice try though........
post #217 of 223 Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

Again with misinformation about pentile. You will most likely not notice a difference in PQ unless you are sitting a lot closer than you should be anyways.

Anyways, I ended up going with the ST60. I love it. I'm sure the F5500 is a perfectly capable set but I didn't want to be second guessing my purchase the whole time. 3D is kind of meh on this set however and the smart tv interface could be improved upon. If those are features that you really care about I'd look at the F5500. 3D seems better on that and Samsung does have one of the best smart tv interfaces around.

FYI there was a new firmware update released for ST60, maybe last week, and many have reported that 3D playback is greatly improved.

Why using other people's TV settings is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #218 of 223 Old 08-12-2013, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

FYI there was a new firmware update released for ST60, maybe last week, and many have reported that 3D playback is greatly improved.

Yeah I went ahead and downloaded it. At first I was like "nothing has improved! RAGE!" Then I realized I forgot to take game mode off...Huge improvement in my eyes. I wish CNET would update their review accordingly because it is a significant enough improvement.

post #219 of 223 Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

Huge improvement in my eyes. I wish CNET would update their review accordingly because it is a significant enough improvement.
What has improved?
What is the newest firmware version - I would like to make sure that the set I am viewing in the store has the newest version.
post #220 of 223 Old 09-01-2013, 11:41 PM

The debate over pentile seems awfully silly to me. So a pentile matrix has the same luma resolution, only lowered chroma resolution, correct? Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but all currently available HD sources use 4:2:0 chroma sub-sampling, yes? So, since even blu-ray can only manage 960x540 chroma resolution, what exactly am I losing on a pentile matrix screen?
post #221 of 223 Old 10-31-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

since none of these stores stock locally for me to look at, ill ask here. can you compare the 'glare screen' of my 57 inch hitachi RPTV to the glare on the f5500 (64 inch). i have a single lite that is next to the sofa but the light itself isnt really visible in my current tv but yea you can see your reflection when it's a dark screen

this is my 1st time getting any more recent technology and i know this isnt the 100% best tv out there but for the price it seems ok. my room is north facing and even though i have a 13 ft window, the blinds are never 'facing' the tv nor fully opened. i can definitely deal with the lighting i have in the living room relating to the hitachi, so if its better or the same, i think i'd be happy.

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere w/DB8 antenna which gets in VHF 6
Sony T60 2-160 drives unsubbed
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
post #222 of 223 Old 11-10-2013, 02:27 PM

Liked: 11
Hi, i am trying to buy 51f5500 but i have one question if you can answer pls?
Do 51f5500 have motion plus?
Some users said even you can see motion plus setup in menu, you cant activate it because its gray and not clickable?
Thanks in advance.
post #223 of 223 Old 11-14-2013, 08:21 AM

Liked: 12
How do either of these compare to the 2011 Samsungg PN51D7000?

I currently have that set in my HT and need something for the living room. If either of these is a huge step up, I may move it to the HT and take the old display upstairs. However, I am thinking 60", which would mean PenTile on the F5500. I a not set on the 60", however, the 50/51 is also an option.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f5500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un46f5500 46 Inch Class Smart Tv Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung Un32f5500 32 Inch 1080p 60hz Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page