Panasonic ST60 vs. Samsung F5500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 223 Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I am in the process of researching plasma HDTVs and have narrowed my choices down to the Panasonic ST60 and Samsung F5500. Unfortunately, not a great deal is currently known about the F5500, so it's making the process more difficult. I'd like to explore everything before making a purchase and am thinking about either 55- or 60-inches. I'm hoping that users of the forum will have a bit more information regarding the two sets than I do...any help would be greatly appreciated!

From what I understand, the ST60 has a great picture...dark blacks and good colors. However, input lag is a problem. I'm not a big gamer, but again, I'd like to take everything into account. At first glance, the things holding me back from just purchasing the ST60 now are that in the stores, it appears to have a glossy screen...quite reflective. Additionally, the outer rim of the TV is reflective silver and it annoys me a bit. However, that is a minor thing.

Again, any help and information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 223 Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
If you think the ST60 screen is too reflective, then you will most likely not be happy with the F5500. I'm pretty sure the ST60 AR filter is superior to the F5500 (if it even has one).

post #3 of 223 Old 04-08-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Perhaps it was just the angle...always positioned in an odd manner at Best Buy. Thanks!
post #4 of 223 Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 52
How will the user controls of these two sets compare, do you think? I'm very familiar with the Samsung adjustments, but it's been a long time since I've had a Panasonic set.

Greg Lee
post #5 of 223 Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Pros and Cons:

F5500-

PROS
  • Less IR
  • Less input lag
  • Cheaper
  • Very impressive amount of picture options available

CONS

• Black levels aren't even close to ST60 as the ST60 blows it out of the water
  • Lack of AR filter definitely contributes to poor black levels
  • Lack of "pop" due to unimpressive blacks and the expected lack of super bright whites in any plasma

ST60

PROS

• Vastly improved picture quality over F5500
  • Deep rich blacks
  • Impressive AR filter that makes the set respectable even in well lit environments
  • Very versatile; there isn't a picture that you can't attain (will satisfy anyone) whether a bright picture is desired or a nice home cinema look, look no further
  • Vast array of picture options available

CONS

• Varying reports of high input lag (I've gamed on it myself and had no issues)
  • Price is a bit steeper, however, for the increase in performance over the F5500 you're getting what you pay for
  • IR is potentially more prevalent

So overall I'd say the ST60 takes the cake, but the Samsung is no slouch. The biggest difference is the discrepancy in black levels; it's enough so that you'll notice with a simple eye test. Only concern with the ST60 overall seems to be the input lag from the research I've done.
post #6 of 223 Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post

Pros and Cons:

F5500-

PROS
  • Less IR
  • Less input lag
  • Cheaper

CONS

• Lack of "pop" due to unimpressive blacks and the expected lack of super bright whites in any plasma

ST60

PROS

• Deep rich blacks
  • Impressive AR filter that makes the set respectable even in well lit environments
  • Very versatile; there isn't a picture that you can't attain (will satisfy anyone) whether a bright picture is desired or a nice home cinema look, look no further

CONS

• Price is a bit steeper, however, for the increase in performance over the F5500 you're getting what you pay for

So overall I'd say the ST60 takes the cake, but the Samsung is no slouch. The biggest difference is the discrepancy in black levels; it's enough so that you'll notice with a simple eye test. Only concern with the ST60 overall seems to be the input lag from the research I've done.

Have you actually used both the sets? Had them side by side?
post #7 of 223 Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

Pros and Cons:

F5500-

PROS
  • Less IR
  • Less input lag
  • Cheaper

CONS

ST60

PROS

• Deep rich blacks

CONS

How did you come up with this list? seems like you put a lot of subjective points into both.......
post #8 of 223 Old 04-09-2013, 07:12 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Wouldn't the F5500 be more comparable to the S60? And not the higher end ST60?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9 of 223 Old 04-09-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Or would the 5300 be the one to compare to the S60......Samsung changed it up this year so no one really knows as of yet where the sets below the 8500 and between the 4500(?) lay as compared to each other.....especially since the F5500 hasnt be reviewed by a calibrator or much anyone for that matter.....
post #10 of 223 Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:

The 5500 has 3d and the s60 doesn't

F4500= 720p

F5300= 1080p and smart

F5500= 1080p smart 3d
post #11 of 223 Old 04-09-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

How did you come up with this list? seems like you put a lot of subjective points into both.......

Personal experience of course, and some of what I've read on here. I promise that what I've listed is in fact objective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

Have you actually used both the sets? Had them side by side?

Yes I have, I've hooked up my Xbox 360 to both sets for 1 hour and a half on two separate occasions

In response to both of you I think (as others have mentioned in this thread) that in terms of picture quality you're better off comparing the entry level S60 to the F5500. The ST60 is just on a different level when it comes to picture quality (due to its much richer blacks/AR filter that maintains them).
post #12 of 223 Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Was this in store or in home.....Did you adjsut settings? ect.....Thank you for clarifying that you did see the sets....
post #13 of 223 Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPMurphy88 View Post

Hello all,

I am in the process of researching plasma HDTVs and have narrowed my choices down to the Panasonic ST60 and Samsung F5500. Unfortunately, not a great deal is currently known about the F5500, so it's making the process more difficult. I'd like to explore everything before making a purchase and am thinking about either 55- or 60-inches. I'm hoping that users of the forum will have a bit more information regarding the two sets than I do...any help would be greatly appreciated!

From what I understand, the ST60 has a great picture...dark blacks and good colors. However, input lag is a problem. I'm not a big gamer, but again, I'd like to take everything into account. At first glance, the things holding me back from just purchasing the ST60 now are that in the stores, it appears to have a glossy screen...quite reflective. Additionally, the outer rim of the TV is reflective silver and it annoys me a bit. However, that is a minor thing.

Again, any help and information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Easy choice, get the ST60.
post #14 of 223 Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Was this in store or in home.....Did you adjsut settings? ect.....Thank you for clarifying that you did see the sets....

In store under good lighting conditions (dimmable). When the lights where pretty bright the ST60 stood out considerably, and even held its own in comparison to LED sets near by (with AR/brightness). Blacks looked nearly identical on the ST60 lights or no lights. The F5500 on the other hand did not.

I did make a handful of adjustments (mostly disabled enhancements i.e. "black tone" etc.)

I yielded respectable pictures out of both, but the ST60 is the only one that's worth your money in my opinion. It's just that much better of a picture.
post #15 of 223 Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for clarifying smile.gif

There is no doubt the ST60 is a very nice set, the early reviews ahve been stellar...
post #16 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:

In store under good lighting conditions (dimmable). When the lights where pretty bright the ST60 stood out considerably, and even held its own in comparison to LED sets near by (with AR/brightness). Blacks looked nearly identical on the ST60 lights or no lights. The F5500 on the other hand did not.

I did make a handful of adjustments (mostly disabled enhancements i.e. "black tone" etc.)

I yielded respectable pictures out of both, but the ST60 is the only one that's worth your money in my opinion. It's just that much better of a picture.

What store had the f5500 on display no one has them near me. And thx for the facts.
post #17 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

What store had the f5500 on display no one has them near me. And thx for the facts.
In the Midwest so far Nebraska Furniture mart is the only retail chain that has them on display/in-stock. If 2012 is any indication we may not see the F5500 at Best buy do to poor reception for the E550 and the lack of the E6500 plasmas from last gen.
post #18 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

In the Midwest so far Nebraska Furniture mart is the only retail chain that has them on display/in-stock. If 2012 is any indication we may not see the F5500 at Best buy do to poor reception for the E550 and the lack of the E6500 plasmas from last gen.

They were also up (f5500) on HHGREGG website today if your near Indiana they should be on display now or soon.
post #19 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Dabois09 can you elaborate on f5500's black levels?

I'm trying to decide between f5300 (which I believe should have the same panel as 5500) and the panasonic s60.

Blacks on panasonic seem very nice when in a dark room, but with some light the screen blacks look grayish. I`m not talking about reflection, I'm saying the native color of s60 is kind of gray (same as s50) and with some ambient light, it doesn't look black, but in a very dark room (since that gray doesn't emit any light) it does look black and very nice.

In an amazon review I read "the new F series of this panel seem to have improved over the E series. Blacks seem to be completely void of any "grey" color. It is truly amazing and cannot be appreciated in bright show rooms."

I believe reflection on both should be similar.
post #20 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Color is great right out of the box on the F5300 with Warm 1 and Movie mode. I have never seen a display with color that good out of the box. Even the whites were impressive.

post #21 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My local Sears
post #22 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoajax View Post

Quote:

Dabois09 can you elaborate on f5500's black levels?

I'm trying to decide between f5300 (which I believe should have the same panel as 5500) and the panasonic s60.

Blacks on panasonic seem very nice when in a dark room, but with some light the screen blacks look grayish. I`m not talking about reflection, I'm saying the native color of s60 is kind of gray (same as s50) and with some ambient light, it doesn't look black, but in a very dark room (since that gray doesn't emit any light) it does look black and very nice.

In an amazon review I read "the new F series of this panel seem to have improved over the E series. Blacks seem to be completely void of any "grey" color. It is truly amazing and cannot be appreciated in bright show rooms."

I believe reflection on both should be similar.

It looks really poor (grey) with really any sort of light on. It's a decent level of black with the lights off, but I'd say the S60/ST60 black level simply cannot be matched by Samsungs lower tier sets. You can still see a difference with the lights off.
post #23 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:

I know there may not be one to one comparison but which samsung plasma would be comparable to ST60. I'm almost sold to ST60 after reading all threads but would like to see if Samsung has anything in store in similar prize range.
post #24 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbkt View Post

I know there may not be one to one comparison but which samsung plasma would be comparable to ST60. I'm almost sold to ST60 after reading all threads but would like to see if Samsung has anything in store in similar prize range.

The 5500 is the set within the simillar price range.....From the 5500 you jump to the 8500.......
post #25 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
In terms of pic quality, last year the ST50 was more comparable to the E6500 or E7000 from Samsung. The E550 was lower tier. But those models have been eliminated. So the question is, has the pic quality of the F5500 been upgraded in order to compensate? Supposedly it has been improved. And the S60 and F5300 would be the more comparable lower tier models this year. But Panasonic may hold the edge here regarding pic quality and black levels. But as an OTA antenna user, I prefer the menu interface of Samsung over Panasonic, as they provide program information.
post #26 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

In terms of pic quality, last year the ST50 was more comparable to the E6500 or E7000 from Samsung. The E550 was lower tier. But those models have been eliminated. So the question is, has the pic quality of the F5500 been upgraded in order to compensate? Supposedly it has been improved. And the S60 and F5300 would be the more comparable lower tier models this year. But Panasonic may hold the edge here regarding pic quality and black levels. But as an OTA antenna user, I prefer the menu interface of Samsung over Panasonic, as they provide program information.

This just goes to show that its great to have a good selection to choose from wink.gif sometimes its the little things that push us to one side or the other.....TO tell the truth we ahvent had enough reports on the 5500\5300 to make any cear determination...from the early look of things the ST60 may best the 5500 in some key areas as it is a great set performance wise.....The best thing for anyone to do however is go somewhere and see the sets for yourself to see what you like better, each company does something different and sometimes even though the PQ may be measurably better, the things you dislike will outweigh those things....
post #27 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM

If pentile matrix means pixels are stacked the way bricks are laid and this causes screen door effect seems the f5500 suffers from that. Went and saw one after work... Here's a close up[IMG]
post #28 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 03:52 PM

Same pic blown up
post #29 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Same pic blown up

Is this pentile?
post #30 of 223 Old 04-10-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
OMG is that actually from Samsung's plasma?TThat's the dreaded pen tile matrix.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f5500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un46f5500 46 Inch Class Smart Tv Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung Un32f5500 32 Inch 1080p 60hz Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page