Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 View Post

I think it still could have been done but I'm not putting my money on it anymore.

Good man. :-)

Hopefully, though unlikely, somebody will eventually hack the firmware and turn off all Smart TV functions to see if that'll solve the input lag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Whats a shame is the 5 percent of people making an issue out of something that isn't discernible.

While it seems as though maybe the input lag issue is slightly blown out of proportion its obviously discernable otherwise people would not go through the process of returning or exchanging their tv to pick up a new one. Especially after making comments about how amazing it looks. I would say for the price there clearly is not a tv out there that beats the st60 in terms of picture quality. Yeah you could spend more or less but people who are after the st60 are looking for the best bang for your buck. Maybe the lag isn't huge but if it detracts from someone's experience that's all that matters and when paying over 1000 dollars for a tv some like input lag shouldn't be an issue. Input lag was an issue 8 years ago. If any tv that expensive gets released with input lag like the st60 noticeable or not the consumers have every right to take issue with it because it shouldnt be a problem for anyone.
post #723 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
All previous game modes were done outside of the picture menu structure. This year it was done inside the picture menu structure. We also have a MediaTek processor that was implemented by Panasonic into their design. So my thoughts are Panasonic parted out this line & then put it together. So, in order for the lag to be properly fixed, they are going to have to get new code from Mediatak. The possibility of that happening is slim to none. So hopefully this can be hacked & re coded. Anyone friends with any coders smile.gif
post #724 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I fear that Sony's impressive input lag on this year's models is pre-emptive.
They've got a new console coming that captures and uploads gameplay footage to the cloud.... Lets just hope its not always buffering. eek.gif
post #725 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

My apologies to everyone, Cnet has posted a fresh article regarding input lag and it is now real. The ST60 is officially a "no go" for first person shooting games. This article couldn't have come at a better time for me as I was about to buy the ST60 in three days. I am now reverting to my alternative, either the 47 inch or 55 inch Sony W802a.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57587317-221/game-mode-on-cnet-tests-tvs-for-input-lag/

So all the scientific feedback, info, and everything else plus photo proof and even other credible website's with Leo Bodnar results wasn't enough for you, but CNET's word is? You were constantly berating the people who said they felt it (even went as far as to say I started the thread and I couldn't possibly notice it...) for what, the past 3 or so pages?

Aye.........
sealteamz6 and Leon! like this.
post #726 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 03:55 PM

Liked: 17
I wonder how the older VT's rate against this year's models...is 40-45ms normal for a Panasonic plasma? I have a VT25 and curious to what its lag is.
post #727 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

I wonder how the older VT's rate against this year's models...is 40-45ms normal for a Panasonic plasma? I have a VT25 and curious to what its lag is.

I believe the 50 series was 40 ms. So a tad faster, but not noticeable. Still at 3 fames, which is what the VT60 is. I don't recall ever seeing the 30 series or 20 series tested.
post #728 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 06:26 PM

Liked: 10
Hey guys. Just picked up a 60" ST60 here in Canada. On sale and warranty from Panasonic for three years free of charge. Here're my initial impressions from a single evening of messing with various games. Slides are now running, so more to come in a few days if demand is there:

I'm a 31 year old casual console gamer - much prefer PC gaming such as StarCraft, SinofaSolarEmpire, WarCraft, SimCity, Civilization. I'm a SysAdmin so working on PC is where I spend most of my time.

I spent a couple hours this evening testing out a few different titles on XBOX 360. Here are my personal impressions:

1) Batman Arkham City - I did notice slightly more delay with GameMode off than with it on - as expected. If your familiar with this title, you know its not a button masher, but rather relies on intentional timed commands to build combos and execute attacks. I did not notice much lag and found gameplay very enjoyable. Got caught up in challenges far longer than I wanted to be. This was a good sign and quite a relief.

2) NHL 12 - Again, an improvement with GameMode on, this time for me, a little more significant than with Arkham City. I did notice a slight sluggishness to movement, but nothing detrimental. Ultimately, I found I could adapt and play this game competently. I rarely play Sports titles anymore, but wanted to see how this one performed.

3) Halo 3 - I actually had a hard time telling the difference between GameMode being on and it being off. Gameplay was great and I didn't notice any issues at all. Again, only played for a few minutes, but enough that I feel confident in my initial impressions. Zoom and trigger fire responded instantly and movement seemed fluid and responsive.

4) Dell Notebook via HDMI
a) Duplicate screen to the ST60 and tested via the traditional DSLR and timer. Results varied between as low as 65ms and 95ms. I'm no pro in this area...so for what its worth, I'm pretty confident in the low 70ms number that's been posted repeatedly.
b) StarCraft II...game play was fine, but I'm fairly sensitive to mouse lag and definitely noticed a slight delay on mouse movements. Nothing huge...but without a doubt it was there. Is it enough to prevent me from PC gaming to the ST60? It really might be. But this really isn't something I've wanted to do...although, its nice to have limits when investing in a new fairly costly television.

Once I get through the slides, I plan on testing more with the above titles as well as BioShock Infinite/DeusEx Human Revolution/general Windows 7 usage via HDMI. I have 30 days to test and return this set if necessary. Based on what I will be using this for and the absolutely amazing initial picture quality I experienced, I doubt this will happen. Looking forward to seeing a calibrated screen.

My advice: If you're on the fence, just go out and buy this television and try it for yourself. Make sure there's a good return policy though. Everyone here is different...don't miss out on this because of someone else's negative experience. There're lots of positive experiences as well.
post #729 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 PM

scottkillam - I am in Toronto. Where did you get an ST60 with 3 year warranty included?
post #730 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchilde View Post

I believe the 50 series was 40 ms. So a tad faster, but not noticeable. Still at 3 fames, which is what the VT60 is. I don't recall ever seeing the 30 series or 20 series tested.

ST30 returns 32ms on the Bodnar, GT and VT would presumably be very similar.
post #731 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

ST30 returns 32ms on the Bodnar, GT and VT would presumably be very similar.

Maybe. Guess it depends. I'm going to guess they're still a little slower, probably 37 or so, which still puts it in the 3 frame column and comparable to the 40 of the GT/VT50 series. Ah well. I'd love to see a plasma hit 1 frame of lag, that would be amazing. I wonder why there is numbers for the ST30 but not the GT and VT? Someone should go back and measure them, lol.
post #732 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Wrong thread I know, but what is up with Cnet's F8500 plasma input lag results from that link earlier??
post #733 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

Wrong thread I know, but what is up with Cnet's F8500 plasma input lag results from that link earlier??

I believe you have to rename the input on the Samsungs to 'PC' in order to get its least laggy performance. I doubt Cnet were aware of that trick.
post #734 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Maybe. Guess it depends. I'm going to guess they're still a little slower, probably 37 or so, which still puts it in the 3 frame column and comparable to the 40 of the GT/VT50 series. Ah well. I'd love to see a plasma hit 1 frame of lag, that would be amazing. I wonder why there is numbers for the ST30 but not the GT and VT? Someone should go back and measure them, lol.

Could be, but last year everyone was convinced the ST50 was faster than the GT/VT because a few cloned timer test suggested as much by way of a few ms. In reality, they were all three dead on ~39-40ms on the Bodnar. I would personally bet all the 30's were also right on the money cause if memory serves, AVForum also Bodnar'ed a GT30 at 32ms, buried somewhere on their forum. If any PDP's came close to 1 frame, I'd say the G10 or V10 were the best chance. I wouldn't be shocked to see low 20's on those.
post #735 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The U54 was 20some ms. I wonder how it looks?
post #736 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkillam View Post

Hey guys. Just picked up a 60" ST60 here in Canada. On sale and warranty from Panasonic for three years free of charge. Here're my initial impressions from a single evening of messing with various games. Slides are now running, so more to come in a few days if demand is there:

I'm a 31 year old casual console gamer - much prefer PC gaming such as StarCraft, SinofaSolarEmpire, WarCraft, SimCity, Civilization. I'm a SysAdmin so working on PC is where I spend most of my time.

I spent a couple hours this evening testing out a few different titles on XBOX 360. Here are my personal impressions:

1) Batman Arkham City - I did notice slightly more delay with GameMode off than with it on - as expected. If your familiar with this title, you know its not a button masher, but rather relies on intentional timed commands to build combos and execute attacks. I did not notice much lag and found gameplay very enjoyable. Got caught up in challenges far longer than I wanted to be. This was a good sign and quite a relief.

2) NHL 12 - Again, an improvement with GameMode on, this time for me, a little more significant than with Arkham City. I did notice a slight sluggishness to movement, but nothing detrimental. Ultimately, I found I could adapt and play this game competently. I rarely play Sports titles anymore, but wanted to see how this one performed.

3) Halo 3 - I actually had a hard time telling the difference between GameMode being on and it being off. Gameplay was great and I didn't notice any issues at all. Again, only played for a few minutes, but enough that I feel confident in my initial impressions. Zoom and trigger fire responded instantly and movement seemed fluid and responsive.

4) Dell Notebook via HDMI
a) Duplicate screen to the ST60 and tested via the traditional DSLR and timer. Results varied between as low as 65ms and 95ms. I'm no pro in this area...so for what its worth, I'm pretty confident in the low 70ms number that's been posted repeatedly.
b) StarCraft II...game play was fine, but I'm fairly sensitive to mouse lag and definitely noticed a slight delay on mouse movements. Nothing huge...but without a doubt it was there. Is it enough to prevent me from PC gaming to the ST60? It really might be. But this really isn't something I've wanted to do...although, its nice to have limits when investing in a new fairly costly television.

Once I get through the slides, I plan on testing more with the above titles as well as BioShock Infinite/DeusEx Human Revolution/general Windows 7 usage via HDMI. I have 30 days to test and return this set if necessary. Based on what I will be using this for and the absolutely amazing initial picture quality I experienced, I doubt this will happen. Looking forward to seeing a calibrated screen.

My advice: If you're on the fence, just go out and buy this television and try it for yourself. Make sure there's a good return policy though. Everyone here is different...don't miss out on this because of someone else's negative experience. There're lots of positive experiences as well.

If possible could you do more PC gaming testing. I want to get an ST60 and while I do play console games occasionally most of what I play is PC games. I have a quality high end sound system in my HT setup and currently have my PC connected to my TV so I can play games on it. I want to be able to play PC games on whatever new TV I buy. If you have a desktop could you test it with that? Im curious as to how a higher end gaming pc such as mine would perform
post #737 of 1315 Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 PM

Liked: 36
You guys probably already know this, but make sure and always compare Bodnar numbers to Bodnar numbers. A lot of tests of tv's past used the camera method and with the Bodnar device they always clock in higher.

post #738 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 02:41 AM

wish it were possible to do a Bodnar test on a CRT lag free to see that end result. The ST50 that had presented the mythical result of 16 ms in high speed camera accused 49 ms in Bodnar
post #739 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connmen View Post

scottkillam - I am in Toronto. Where did you get an ST60 with 3 year warranty included?

It's only exclusive to some stores...Panasonic Gallery retailers is what I think they were called. To my knowledge, not FutureShop or BestBuy.
post #740 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 View Post

If possible could you do more PC gaming testing. I want to get an ST60 and while I do play console games occasionally most of what I play is PC games. I have a quality high end sound system in my HT setup and currently have my PC connected to my TV so I can play games on it. I want to be able to play PC games on whatever new TV I buy. If you have a desktop could you test it with that? Im curious as to how a higher end gaming pc such as mine would perform

I don't have a desktop with HDMI out, unfortunately. I'll do some more testing in the next few days...but, in any case, you might just have to purchase and experience for yourself to be sure.
post #741 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Liked: 13
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57587317-221/game-mode-on-cnet-tests-tvs-for-input-lag/

Useful lag info for 2013 units on CNET, sent to me by Katzmaier. Includes background on the Bodnar and an interview with its inventor to aide in understanding the tech. Looks like all the "fuss" about lag will result in a section of reviews going forward with a notation on lag.
post #742 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I have tested the ST30 vs. the ST60, and I can just repeat my final conclusion:

For normal Single Player Games everything is fine with the ST60. I played 2d arcade games, GT5, Killzone 3, Crysis, God of War Ascension, Limbo, Uncharted 2 and 3.

For very fast moving and reacting games like online Shooters or Arcade SHMUPS Input Lag is a very important Thing and will alsways be.

Here you can see the difference between a 30/40ms ST30 vs. a 75ms ST60:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBRhQBE-PY&list=UU9lETooi2ryHc4FXPKCw7jw&index=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgVEwblQbcs&list=UU9lETooi2ryHc4FXPKCw7jw&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJSAWczrwUI&list=UU9lETooi2ryHc4FXPKCw7jw&index=6

Personally I really dont feel a difference in playing my games, but I have to admit:

Shame to panasonic, for causing so much fuzz and big Drama.

On the other Hand: The Game Mode on the ST30 does not look near way so good than the True Cinema Mode on the ST60. The Game Mode on the ST30 is like some Kind of dynamic Picture mode. On the ST60 I can use my calibrated and 10 Point Gamma adjusted mode for gaming, which will be usefull if those new PS4 Full HD Consoles will be around the Corner.

So in the end there is just one additonal Picture Mode missing: A Gaming Picture Mode like on the past Panasonic Plasma Models. Superfast for all the People who care.

I really hope there will be some Firmware update or something.
post #743 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 09:48 AM

Liked: 11
Guys I apologize if this (or some variant) has been asked but here goes...

I primarily game on a 360 and PS3. I don't do a lot of online shooters but do play games like Bioshock and am currently playing Dishonored. How is the lag in these types of FPS single player games? I'm sure input lag exists in my current plasma (Samsung 58B550) and as far as I know have done nothing to circumvent it so maybe upgrading to this TV is a non-issue for me. I'm mainly just curious if anyone has played a game like Bioshock Infinite and what their opinion is on the input lag. Thanks.
post #744 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just read the posting above yours!

rolleyes.gif
post #745 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've yet to game on my ST60 but has anyone gone in the service menu and poked around and looked for anything related to something that could impact input lag that they aren't able to see in regular menus? Its just crazy all other Panasonics are decent in input lag but for whatever reason this one is nearly double the others.
post #746 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Liked: 13
Try the link from CNET in my posting earlier today.
post #747 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21 View Post

I've yet to game on my ST60 but has anyone gone in the service menu and poked around and looked for anything related to something that could impact input lag that they aren't able to see in regular menus? Its just crazy all other Panasonics are decent in input lag but for whatever reason this one is nearly double the others.
Crazy as in stupid yes, crazy as in without explanation not at all, between the smart tv software being run as a background process all the time instead of called up as needed and the mediatek chip tasked with handling that and video sumultaneously it makes perfect sense. To my knowledge no one has found anything of note in the service menu.
post #748 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkillam View Post

I don't have a desktop with HDMI out, unfortunately. I'll do some more testing in the next few days...but, in any case, you might just have to purchase and experience for yourself to be sure.

Oh okay no worries. And yeah I may have to.
post #749 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Has anyone tried deleting all the apps it is possible to delete and unplugging the network cable or disassociating from the wireless network to see if it helps?
post #750 of 1315 Old 06-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post

I have tested the ST30 vs. the ST60, and I can just repeat my final conclusion:

For normal Single Player Games everything is fine with the ST60. I played 2d arcade games, GT5, Killzone 3, Crysis, God of War Ascension, Limbo, Uncharted 2 and 3.

For very fast moving and reacting games like online Shooters or Arcade SHMUPS Input Lag is a very important Thing and will alsways be.

Here you can see the difference between a 30/40ms ST30 vs. a 75ms ST60:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhBRhQBE-PY&list=UU9lETooi2ryHc4FXPKCw7jw&index=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgVEwblQbcs&list=UU9lETooi2ryHc4FXPKCw7jw&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJSAWczrwUI&list=UU9lETooi2ryHc4FXPKCw7jw&index=6

Personally I really dont feel a difference in playing my games, but I have to admit:

Shame to panasonic, for causing so much fuzz and big Drama.

On the other Hand: The Game Mode on the ST30 does not look near way so good than the True Cinema Mode on the ST60. The Game Mode on the ST30 is like some Kind of dynamic Picture mode. On the ST60 I can use my calibrated and 10 Point Gamma adjusted mode for gaming, which will be usefull if those new PS4 Full HD Consoles will be around the Corner.

So in the end there is just one additonal Picture Mode missing: A Gaming Picture Mode like on the past Panasonic Plasma Models. Superfast for all the People who care.

I really hope there will be some Firmware update or something.

Im not asking this question to spite what you've been saying just outta curiosity. I don't really play online games unless its like coop like Diablo or left for dead. Not really a online competitive guy and at this point in my life I will unlikely ever be. You say its fine for fps single player but maybe not for fps online multiplayer. Games like cod are both so wouldnt low input lag be important in single and multi player? Sure in multiplayer its very competitive. But in single player you are still being challenged. Also games like god of war require more precise button presses it seems to me so I feel like maybe the input lag would negatively effect that? I do mostly pc gaming now that I can hook it up to my tv and games are cheaper and I can use a controller if I really want. So pc gaming is my main concern
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55st60 55 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60ut50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page