Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 14796 Old 04-21-2013, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone wondering if it might make sense to wait another month or two for the new crop of 4k sets to start hitting the market? When this happens will it make our1080p sets look like the video equivalent of the horse and buggy? Not trying to be a buzz kill here but I was just looking at some information about the new 4k Sony coming out. Now admittedly we're looking at a price differential of $2200 to $5000. Still though.....

I feel strongly both ways!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 14796 Old 04-21-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

Anyone wondering if it might make sense to wait another month or two for the new crop of 4k sets to start hitting the market? When this happens will it make our1080p sets looking like the video equivalent of the horse and buggy?

Nope, as it stands right now all 4k sets will be edge lit.... I don't want to crap on peoples tv's, but I have a 75ES9000 which was the best edge lit tv last year...$10k....its not as good as the 55GT50 I was "upgrading" from. Edge lighting is not as good as plasma is, or full array local dimming was. There isn't much readily available 4k source material so everything will be upscaled anyway. There is also some debate on screen size versus viewing distance to actually benefit from the extra resolution.
post #273 of 14796 Old 04-21-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wario76 View Post

Hey Todd, you sure did get very defensive. You seem kind of shady. I have also heard bad things about that vendor in particular.

I seem shady based on what? I buy a tv and someone who has an issue with the vendor I used and also seems to have issues with extended warranties engages me in a not so pleasant manner. Whatever. Now I know why I rarely post on this site. You do realize you are insulting me? I do find it funny that you and the other guy are pointing fingers at me and you do not even use your names.
post #274 of 14796 Old 04-21-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agkss View Post

You're the guy that say that VT60 on HDMI vs F8500 on component...the F8500 is way better...Ok...i wait for reviews

Well yes exactly my point, the samsung looked better hooked up with components. And you don't seem to know much about components btw.
post #275 of 14796 Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 PM

Liked: 36
WOW at that UK set review! I had some numbers in my head that would make me consider the VT60 over the ST60...this is well past them. eek.gif

So what do those numbers put the ANSI contrast level at?

If the US sets hold up to this, then I think it's time to start saving my pennies up.

post #276 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducato View Post

Do you work for Panasonic or what?!

I too went to BB and compare the same models side by side and the Samsung was always ahead no matter the changes we made. And I've only had Panasonic plasmas for the past 12 years.

i'm just reporting what i've personally seen. by the way, i have two samsung televisions at home and one pioneer, so i am not biased against samsung.

i'll be honest though in saying that the feed on the samsung was different to what the panasonic was playing (blu ray) so you can say that it was not equal

but even so the samsung f8500 did have an LED quality to it. that could be good and bad

bright/good but crunchy/bad although maybe this was because of the feed?

i just though it lost some of that plasma look, for what that's worth.

on a separate occasion (in the past) i did take a little time(on an f8500) to change the settings and turn of the dynamic modes, change to cinema setting

just to get rid of the full dynamic blast of brightness and color usually seen in a store setting and it made the set look a little better but no where

what i was expecting from this generation of plasma. truthfully the vt50 looked better beside it. then i noticed the brightness pops on the samsung (f8500)

and the sales person also noticed this and we could not get it to go away.

i'm more excited looking at the panny's coming out vt60 and zt60 but will also keep an eye towards the sony 4k set also coming soon. exciting times.
post #277 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post

WOW at that UK set review! I had some numbers in my head that would make me consider the VT60 over the ST60...this is well past them. eek.gif

So what do those numbers put the ANSI contrast level at? I don't know how to do the calculation.

If the US sets hold up to this, then I think it's time to start saving my pennies up.
There are calculators online that do the algebra for you. wink.gif

ANSI is 0.002.
post #278 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 12:59 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

There are calculators online that do the algebra for you. wink.gif

ANSI is 0.002.

Ok, so it's just as simple as doing white/black from the ANSI pattern to get the ratio, right? If I take the numbers from the review, I get something like 17,142 to 1...or am I not doing this right?

post #279 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 AM

When are the 55" going to be showing up???

Jeez, I got money burning a hole in my pocket! smile.gif

post #280 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni009 View Post

Ok, so it's just as simple as doing white/black from the ANSI pattern to get the ratio, right? If I take the numbers from the review, I get something like 17,142 to 1...or am I not doing this right?

Not sure we can tell from the review, I believe they only gave the peak white, usually in order to get the ANSI you take the numbers from the checkerboard (I think). With the values given we can only get the on\off contrast ratio.......
post #281 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 AM

Liked: 17
This is my chance to chime in. I received my Panasonic TC-P55VT60 Friday. I have had a few days with it and would like to offer my thoughts.

Background/Intro
Previously I have owned a Samsung A650, an LG Le8500, and a Samsung F8000. They were all very nice LCD/LED TVs but I was always upgrading for one reason or another. The VT60 is my first plasma. Having owned a small assortment of TVs I am happy to report the Panasonic VT60 trumps anything I have owned and frankly, anything I have ever seen up until this point. This TV produces the most amazing picture I have ever seen! My initial thrill has not worn off. This thing continues to impress me. The pq is absolutely phenomenal, even out of the box! My attached photos do not do it justice and I highly recommend you check out the TV in person if you get the chance.

My Non-professional Review
TV came well packed and assembly of the stand was straightforward and incredibly simple. I do recommend you have a second person to help you. The VT60 is heavy.

Initial setup is a breeze and pretty standard. Panasonic walks you through and shows you the included features, emphasizing their different home screen options. Fun fact: there is a silly narrator that sounds like a robot. I weirdly enjoyed it, a bit of 80s/90s nostalgia. I setup mine to go straight to the last source (HDMI) as opposed to my home screen. Also, there is a goofy advertisement that pops up at times. You can however turn it off in the settings.

I am not a fan of the smaller remote. I find the touch track pad on it to be cumbersome. My girlfriend however likes the track pad. To each their own. I'm sure it takes a little getting used to. Not an issue for me though as Panasonic includes two remotes, the standard and the smaller touch remote. I continue to use the standard remote.

The apps work as you would expect. I haven't had a chance to check all of them out, but my time with Youtube and Netflix worked without a hitch.

The TV itself looks wonderful. The stand and full glass panel make the TV look like a piece of art both on or off. The glass itself does pickup glare and reflects light. I have a 7 foot picture window that lets in a ton of light directly opposite of the VT60 and it is not unbearable. I can see the reflection of the window but it is not any worse than previous TVs I have owned. I would argue it is better than my old LE8500 which also had a full piece of glass. All this doesn't matter to me though as I do most of my watching at night.

As I previously mentioned, the pq on the VT60 is absolutely stunning! The hype for this set is true. The VT60 delivers on all cylinders. Inky blacks, clean whites, incredibly rich colors, jaw-dropping detail. Hell, I've been watching in the included THX bright and dark modes and haven't felt the need to make any adjustments. I am no professional calibrator but I would like to make it clear this is the best picture I have ever seen. You can certainly adjust the picture to your personal preference and their is no shortage of access for professional calibration if you wish to do so.

As my first plasma, I am thoroughly impressed with the off angle viewing as well. Excellent blacks from any angle and the picture never seems to wash out or lose its integrity. There is certainly no clouding, ghosting, spotlighting, etc. to worry about. If I get unrealistically close to the screen I can however see tiny specs moving around. I believe this is part of the plasma technology but I'm not sure. It's hard to describe it but it seems like tiny dots buzzing around, a bit like static. Can anyone chime in on what this might be? Keep in mind this is my first plasma screen. Pretty sure its a function of the technology. It is not distracting and I only see it when my eye nearly touches the screen. From far away I do not see it at all.

I can't comment on 3D quite yet as I haven't had a chance view any 3D content. I've spent most of my time with blu-rays and streaming HD.

Below are a few pictures from the Samsara blu-ray. I apologize for any glare. I had to take pictures in the early morning as I had a hard time getting my camera to take quality photos in a completely dark room. Pictures were taken at 1/13 F20. This closely represented what I was seeing on screen, but I argue this still doesn't do the TV justice. It is way better in person biggrin.gif

post #282 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Do you see the little light specs on all signal sources? Doesn't sound right to me. I don't think you should see anything like that unless it's source related.
Thanks for the write-up.

post #283 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 AM

I have a silly question that maybe someone can help with. How do I properly get ARC to work? My receiver can apparently handle this (Onkyo TX-NR818). I have all my sources running thought the receiver to the TV and I would like to be able to get the sound from the TV to play through the receiver.
post #284 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

Do you see the little light specs on all signal sources? Doesn't sound right to me. I don't think you should see anything like that unless it's source related.
Thanks for the write-up.

Happens on all sources of content so far. Using the HDMI 2 input for ARC. Its hard to describe and as I said, I only see this when I am unreasonably close to the screen. Here is a picture that sort of represents what I am seeing. Keep in mind I adjusted my camera to emphasize and it really brightens the image. This is not a representation of how it actually looks, but I am showing to give an idea of what I am talking about. Any idea what it might be? Signal noise?

White dots in the black image move around really fast
post #285 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Z thank you for the review and the pictures greatly appreciated....

Todd, you need to make sure that the HDMI from the receiver is connected to the ARC input on the TV. Usually its labled "ARC" to make things easy. You then ahve to go into the Onkyo system menu and make sure that its set up properly, which I beiev e is under hardware and then HDMI. I have an Onkyo and it was killing me at 1st until I realized that I had the settings wrong on the receiver....
post #286 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 07:41 AM

Thanks! I'll check this out when I get home.
post #287 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by znutz View Post

Happens on all sources of content so far. Using the HDMI 2 input for ARC. Its hard to describe and as I said, I only see this when I am unreasonably close to the screen. Here is a picture that sort of represents what I am seeing. Keep in mind I adjusted my camera to emphasize and it really brightens the image. This is not a representation of how it actually looks, but I am showing to give an idea of what I am talking about. Any idea what it might be? Signal noise?

Are you talking about film grain? it could also just be part of the source.....watch an animated Blu-ray to see if you still see this show up, it should give you a beter idea of if tis the source or the TV...
post #288 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Cnet has a VT60 in their possession and a review should be out anyday now...
post #289 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znutz View Post

Looks to me like dithering, part of plasma tech.
post #290 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_fan View Post

Looks to me like dithering, part of plasma tech.

Looked it up. It is absolutely dithering! Thanks for that. I figured it was part of the plasma technology and just wanted to be sure. It isn't noticeable unless my eyeball nearly touches the screen.

Gives me peace of mind.

I know I am a little biased, but everything considered, the VT60 might be the "perfect" TV we all thought wasn't possible.
post #291 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
One of the (very) minor drawbacks of said tech. wink.gif
post #292 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 11
I went to Best Buy yesterday. I thought the F8500's image "popped out" more than the VT60's did, but the VT60's image looked more natural and accurate. The VT60 image actually reminded me of the image a good quality projector makes.

I hope CNET reviews the VT60 and F8500 soon!
post #293 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Dave View Post

I went to Best Buy yesterday. I thought the F8500's image "popped out" more than the VT60's did, but the VT60's image looked more natural and accurate. The VT60 image actually reminded me of the image a good quality projector makes.

I hope CNET reviews the VT60 and F8500 soon!

Look for a review of the Vt60 from Chad B either late this week or sometime next week (hopefully), he should have a good handle on the sets since he has already done a report on the F8500......I know personally I am looking forwward to hearing what he has to say...
post #294 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Look for a review of the Vt60 from Chad B either late this week or sometime next week (hopefully), he should have a good handle on the sets since he has already done a report on the F8500......I know personally I am looking forwward to hearing what he has to say...

And the shootout is coming up quick!

post #295 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

And the shootout is coming up quick!

Do we know what displays will be featured at the VE shootout yet?
post #296 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 432
post #297 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Dave View Post

Do we know what displays will be featured at the VE shootout yet?

yes, head over to the VE website or the thread dedicated to the shootout in the FP discussion section of the forum wink.gif
post #298 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

yes, head over to the VE website or the thread dedicated to the shootout in the FP discussion section of the forum wink.gif
Anyone have a link to this "VE" website? I'm not familiar with it and, if I'm not mistaken, it's the place where this now-almost-legendary shootout will be taking place.

post #299 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Finally some good news, odds are 65VT60 will be in later this week...........
Any news on the 55"?
'

post #300 of 14796 Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM

Liked: 16
Anyone notice if the right hand side vertical band made it through to the 60's? That is the reason my 65VT50 was returned.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page