Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 106 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 104  105  106 107  108  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
mo949's Avatar mo949 03:51 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Can anyone recommend some lower priced, yet good 3D glasses? I need to pick up a couple more.

For <20$ these http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-5100GB-3D-Active-Glasses/dp/B00BIP816Q/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_21

That's what I use for my guests.


As to 'good' - although I like my panasonic glasses, those ones are a bit lighter on the nose and my wife prefers them over the panasonic ones. Also, in 6 months I've never had to replace the batteries yet, so they last so far.

DavidHir's Avatar DavidHir 04:05 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

For <20$ these http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-5100GB-3D-Active-Glasses/dp/B00BIP816Q/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_21

That's what I use for my guests.


As to 'good' - although I like my panasonic glasses, those ones are a bit lighter on the nose and my wife prefers them over the panasonic ones. Also, in 6 months I've never had to replace the batteries yet, so they last so far.

Great, thanks.

So video performance is the same with all of these glasses?
mo949's Avatar mo949 04:16 PM 07-08-2013
So I have tested them myself and yes they are the same wrt 3d performance - reflections off back walls are about the same visibility as well in the lenses. However, there is a slight hair to split that I wasn't going to bother mentioning, but you asked wink.gif. There's an ever so slight tint difference between the panasonic ones and the samsung ones.

When Dnice calibrates (and we know how exacting he is) he is very clear that his color accuracy is based on the set you give him to calibrate with -- so of course I gave him the pair I use personally, the panasonic ones. I doubt my guests could pickup the visual difference - I honestly can't see the difference myself when they are on, but If I play with the glasses in the light (moving them to catch the light differently while off) and look very hard I can tell that the tints are in fact slightly different.
DavidHir's Avatar DavidHir 04:21 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

So I have tested them myself and yes they are the same wrt 3d performance - reflections off back walls are about the same visibility as well in the lenses. However, there is a slight hair to split that I wasn't going to bother mentioning, but you asked wink.gif. There's an ever so slight tint difference between the panasonic ones and the samsung ones.

When Dnice calibrates (and we know how exacting he is) he is very clear that his color accuracy is based on the set you give him to calibrate with -- so of course I gave him the pair I use personally, the panasonic ones. I doubt my guests could pickup the visual difference - I honestly can't see the difference myself when they are on, but If I play with the glasses in the light (moving them to catch the light differently while off) and look very hard I can tell that the tints are in fact slightly different.

Very interesting point! I had Chad calibrate with the ones that came with the display. Good to know this, thanks. Yeah, they would be for guests anyway.
mo949's Avatar mo949 04:34 PM 07-08-2013
definitely nice to not have to spend tons of extra cash on the 50+ ones - some of the more expensive ones have obviously different colored tints as well. I actually had to pickup the 5th pair recently and it was also nice to just run to BB and do it.
CHASLS2's Avatar CHASLS2 06:36 PM 07-08-2013
Now at 97 hours on my 60vt60.

Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 06:38 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlorange2 View Post

Well, after 2 different Samsung UN65F7100s, both with banding and a little flashlighting I decided to exchange of the tc-p65vt60. I hope it was the right decision as I really don't want to exchange again. Most important thing to me is screen uniformity. Delivery scheduled for Thursday.
Oh my was that the right choice, good for you sir !
CHASLS2's Avatar CHASLS2 06:39 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjamz View Post

Sorry to hear about your fan noise. My VT60 also has some fan noise, and I can really hear it late at night when my volume is turned down low. The PQ on the VT is amazing however, and my panel has absolutely no issues, with perfect screen uniformity. I've been debating whether the fan noise is enough to take action, but i'm leaning towards just keeping it. At moderate volumes, I don't notice the fan noise much, and and it is similar in volume/annoyance to the plasma buzz coming off my Samsung plasmas. I'm really hoping that Panasonic is working on a solution, possibly a firmware update that reduces the fan speed or something. Keep us posted on what action you take.

I can't hear a peep from my new 60vt60 unless i mute it and stick my head in the back.
scientifix's Avatar scientifix 08:25 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

I can't hear a peep from my new 60vt60 unless i mute it and stick my head in the back.
I am going to get it exchanged and I sincerely hope the next one I get doesn't have this loud fan noise that my current one does. I really want to stick with the VT just for the amazing PQ. Fingers crossed ...
tjsiegel's Avatar tjsiegel 08:32 PM 07-08-2013
No fan noise here (knock on wood), but boy does it buzz. Especially on white screens or even some of the lighter slides or outdoor sunny videos. I can hear it fairly audibly from about 12ft away, especially on really bright things unless I turn the speakers up to around 30 or so.
Lost!'s Avatar Lost! 09:29 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

I am going to get it exchanged and I sincerely hope the next one I get doesn't have this loud fan noise that my current one does. I really want to stick with the VT just for the amazing PQ. Fingers crossed ...

Be very careful with exchanges. My first ZT had amazing PQ and screen uniformity, but it had a very loud fan. I exchanged it, and now I have screen problems, stand problems, and even worse fan noise. I am in the middle of negotiation for a last exchange with BB. Maybe 3rd time is a chimer, but honestly, I regret exchanging the first unit and I wish I didn't listen to exchange advises. The fan noise is on all units, but I think it is depending on many factors. Your room size and acoustics, wall treatments, distance to the wall, and even the person listening is going to make a difference on the level of perceived fan noise.
jh901's Avatar jh901 09:34 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I hear what you are saying, but you're just offering subjective opinions. You can't substantiate your assertions. For example, please tell me the how both sets measured in black level? If the differences are so slight that is negligible and hardly noticeable to those of us with normal vision, then the VT60 just isn't worth the price difference.

And how do you substantiate your assertions? You are "the guy" who not only wants to get a great deal and the ST60, pro calibrated, is indeed a GREAT deal, but who must take to task anyone who spends more. There are many of you out here on the 'Net. The worst of you hang out on audiophile forums just waiting to pounce on the guy with the $50 grand system which couldn't possibly be any better than a glorified boom-box.

The VT60 will measure better post calibration and the result will not be difficult to discern. If this weren't the case, then you'd know it for sure as members and pro calibrators would be all over it. Is the VT60 worth so much more than the ST60? Not for most. The price leap is far too steep. I watch a lot of blu-ray content in both low light and near bat cave. The black level alone is worth it to me and it is noticeably better than my VT50 (similar to ST60). For those casually viewing cable tv and maybe glancing at a blu now and again then I don't even think the ST60 is justifiable.
jconjason's Avatar jconjason 10:03 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

The fan noise is on all units

Another person trying to state a falsehood as fact. You're wrong. Not all units have the fan issue. Please don't make such statements and mislead people.
Lost!'s Avatar Lost! 10:05 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Another person trying to state a falsehood as fact. You're wrong. Not all units have the fan issue. Please don't make such statements and mislead people.

When I get my 3rd unit this weekend, and it has a fan noise, then it is a statement. How do you explain 3 exchanged units with same fan noise?

With all due respect to all who think they do not have a fan noise, come put it in my room, and you can hear it.
jconjason's Avatar jconjason 10:09 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post


With all due respect to all who think they do not have a fan noise, come put it in my room, and you can hear it.

Lol. So you have a special room that makes television fans malfunction? Awesome.
Lost!'s Avatar Lost! 10:12 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Lol. So you have a special room that makes television fans malfunction? Awesome.

The joke is on you, sir. You seem to be very ignorant to the fact that some rooms are very small, and the wall treatments are reflective. Not everyone lives in a house.
jconjason's Avatar jconjason 10:15 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

The joke is on you, sir. You seem to be very ignorant to the fact that some rooms are very small, and the wall treatments are reflective. Not everyone lives in a house.

Well, i live in a trailer and my vt60 is in the small bedroom. Still think you're special?

Anyway, you're not worth arguing with. You go ahead and think every vt/zt has faulty fans. Enjoy.
Lost!'s Avatar Lost! 10:19 PM 07-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Well, i live in a trailer and my vt60 is in the small bedroom. Still think you're special?

Anyway, you're not worth arguing with. You go ahead and think every vt/zt has faulty fans. Enjoy.

As they say, ignorance is bliss. Good for you, and enjoy your "perfect" VT.
CSIG1001's Avatar CSIG1001 10:42 PM 07-08-2013
Here is a good example why the F8500 is great in all lighting conditions vs the VT60

F8500 on left VT60 on right



Nice reflection .. I dont even need to use the bathroom mirror anymore




IS it just me or is something wrong with panasonics skin tons
dont look normal vs all the other sets

btw look at the awful glare/reflection on the VT60 in the skin tone pic
Garaman's Avatar Garaman 12:04 AM 07-09-2013
I just picked up a 60VT60 last week, and I've been very impressed with its overall picture quality. I do however have one major issue with the set, one that I didn't expect out of any plasma display. As I move my eyes around the picture I constantly see "rainbows" appear around the edges of bright objects. See the picture below, where I took a 1/15th second exposure of some letters in the Amazon Video app.

With the camera still, you see white letters as expected:


With the camera moving, you see the phosphors flash red and green at some point (I moved the camera down and right as I took the picture, so exposure over time is moving up and left in the image):


I know this was an issue with color-wheel rear projection systems (I skipped DLP years ago because they were all color wheels) but I thought this wouldn't be an issue with any RGB subpixel-type display. Is what I'm seeing a known issue with plasma tech, or some setting on this TV? I tried playing with a bunch of the picture modes but found nothing to affect this. It looks like the blue and green subpixels are fading quickly and the red lingers longer. I'm just guessing here. Anyone know what's going on?
jconjason's Avatar jconjason 12:25 AM 07-09-2013
Yes, that's common. If you wave your hand in front of an all white screen, you'll see the rainbow effect too. I have it on mine as well.
scientifix's Avatar scientifix 07:29 AM 07-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

Be very careful with exchanges. My first ZT had amazing PQ and screen uniformity, but it had a very loud fan. I exchanged it, and now I have screen problems, stand problems, and even worse fan noise. I am in the middle of negotiation for a last exchange with BB. Maybe 3rd time is a chimer, but honestly, I regret exchanging the first unit and I wish I didn't listen to exchange advises. The fan noise is on all units, but I think it is depending on many factors. Your room size and acoustics, wall treatments, distance to the wall, and even the person listening is going to make a difference on the level of perceived fan noise.
Understood. I am a bit concerned about that too but the fan noise is so bad on my set I don't think I will live with that - I can now constantly hear it over normal program volume. Worst case if the next set has the same issue or worse I will have to consider an ST or F8500.
jh901's Avatar jh901 07:32 AM 07-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

IS it just me or is something wrong with panasonics skin tons
dont look normal vs all the other sets

btw look at the awful glare/reflection on the VT60 in the skin tone pic

Yes, it is just you. Skin tones will be better on the VT60. We all know that the F8500 handles reflections well, but some of us don't have lighting concerns. I don't live in a Best Buy. Maybe it's just me.
jh901's Avatar jh901 07:38 AM 07-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post

Chad B has left the building...

and left amazing results for both of the screens in the house.

The Samsung UN75ES9000 is looking great even though it is tuned to the Disney Channel most of the day. (The eight year old rules the roost smile.gif ) The results are as they say - from night to day. 2d and 3d are looking awesome.

The Panny 60/VT60 is drop dead gorgeous. I have been playing with a DIY calibration but the right tools and professional eye really make the difference. I have a great set of golf clubs but still aint no Tiger Woods or even a rank amateur but I do enjoy it. The same with having the "tools" of a calibrator. I bow to the experts as Chad is. The set is looking better than I could have hoped.

As for Chad's professional and dedication to perfection, I was very impressed. I am a consultant myself and understand the mindset needed for this type of business. Chad was on the mark with knowledge and explaining all the nuances that it entails. Of course I probably didn't help asking all my geek questions as my niece calls them.

Chad was prompt and professional to the core. I highly recommend him.

And he is just on of those "good guys" you are always happy to meet.

Thanks Chad for the great work.

I'd like to 2nd this post as I had a similarly terrific experience recently. The Day, Night and 3D on my 60" VT60 each perform beyond my expectations. He also calibrated my 55" VT50 which is on loan to a neighbor, but I haven't checked it out yet.
CSIG1001's Avatar CSIG1001 09:13 AM 07-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post

Yes, it is just you. Skin tones will be better on the VT60. We all know that the F8500 handles reflections well, but some of us don't have lighting concerns. I don't live in a Best Buy. Maybe it's just me.
Thats funny because all the sets are professionally calibrated and look normal,
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 09:50 AM 07-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

Thats funny because all the sets are professionally calibrated and look normal,
Thats funny because you said the Panasonic didnt look normal before. Which is it? Does it look normal to you or not?
CSIG1001's Avatar CSIG1001 10:16 AM 07-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Thats funny because you said the Panasonic didnt look normal before. Which is it? Does it look normal to you or not?



look at the sets in the picture. The ZT and VT are off to me. Maybe due to the brightness level?
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 10:23 AM 07-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

look at the sets in the picture. The ZT and VT are off to me. Maybe due to the brightness level?
It is impossible for me to make any kind of worthwhile judgement from those pictures.
tresolini's Avatar tresolini 10:42 AM 07-09-2013
Wow, I just figured out that the Netflix app on the VT60 will pull a 1080p stream but a Windows PC running Chrome will not. (My cable box is a HTPC.) The Panasonic Netflix app looks great.

I can set Windows to send a 23Hz signal to the TV for 24p Netflix content (judging from the stream inspector in browser), but the desktop browser version of Netflix will not show 1080p. Does anyone know if the Viera Connect Netflix app will adjust the TV's refresh rate to match the content (e.g. 96Hz for 24p content)?
JonThomasDesigns's Avatar JonThomasDesigns 10:45 AM 07-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Another person trying to state a falsehood as fact. You're wrong. Not all units have the fan issue. Please don't make such statements and mislead people.
I have had 3 65"VT60s all with loud fans in a big open room .. Sooooo yeah there's that .. Hence why I invented my double fan filters that at least help the noise level
Tags: Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
First ... 104  105  106 107  108  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop