Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Get your set pro cal'd by a top calibrator and skin tones will look outstanding based on the source material.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerphile View Post

No offense, but how surprised are you?

You should post your experience in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477270/the-east-coast-tvs-experiment/150#post_23523415
I'm not surprised at all, just excited about getting something new and disappointed that customer service is virtually non-existent no matter where you go. The same blah cookie-cutter service, rude and unprofessional sales people, uninformed, uneducated and underpaid people helming the headsets. Upper management who cares about nothing except their bottom line.
Time to get back in the people business folks... Sorry.
post #3333 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANKGOD4PLASMA View Post

I'm not surprised at all, just excited about getting something new and disappointed that customer service is virtually non-existent no matter where you go. The same blah cookie-cutter service, rude and unprofessional sales people, uninformed, uneducated and underpaid people helming the headsets. Upper management who cares about nothing except their bottom line.

But at least when you buy from a reputable retailer you will not have any issues returning the set or exchanging it if there is an issue and you will get your display in a timely manner. To each his own, but I don't mind paying a couple of hundred dollars more for this kind of security especially being as particular as I am with certain display flaws or quirks.

post #3334 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost! View Post

My 2nd unit had the greenish haze on skin tones. The 1st and 3rd did/do not have that. I guess some panels are not calibrated properly.
All panels are made differently and will have visible errors because no set comes calibrated from the factory. You may see too much green on one panel or too much red on another. Every set will benefit from a calibration.
post #3335 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

All panels are made differently and will have visible errors because no set comes calibrated from the factory. You may see too much green on one panel or too much red on another. Every set will benefit from a calibration.

And just to take a step further, this is why optimal settings from another display do not exist that some people seek out. smile.gif

post #3336 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 03:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

But at least when you buy from a reputable retailer you will not have any issues returning the set or exchanging it if there is an issue and you will get your display in a timely manner. To each his own, but I don't mind paying a couple of hundred dollars more for this kind of security especially being as particular as I am with certain display flaws or quirks.
You read my mind.
post #3337 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And just to take a step further, this is why optimal settings from another display do not exist that some people seek out. smile.gif
yup. smile.gif
post #3338 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I'm reeling from too much spending lately (the TV being a good part of that)...good news is the CNET settings for my set (the only published settings I can find for the ZT) look pretty good and are not green-laden on skin tones. When the financial situation is more favorable, I'll have to look into said calibration (had the Kuro done in 2009 by Dave Abrams so I understand the value) or see about purchasing a colorimeter and going DIY.
post #3339 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

The other thing you may want to keep in mind is that most sales people will not measure up to AVS standards. I think expecting that is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #3340 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience, but I had a surprisingly good experience with BB/Magnolia with my recent TV purchase. They did go out of their ways to make the purchase as smooth as possible, and when I had/have problems, they were/are more than willing to help. Actually, they offered to open an unopened box 60" Sharp Elite just to see if I may like it and willing to replace ZT for it, which of course I refused to ruin a perfectly good Elite at my expense. I actually love the new BB so much.
post #3341 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Went by the the BB that I purchased my VT to pick up something this afternoon and told the guy who runs the AV department about the fan noise. Without asking he said they would do whatever was necessary to make sure I was satisfied even after I am out of my return window. Who said customer service is dead? Piece of mind - definitely worth a couple hundred bucks.

When was East Coast (aka EBay Power Seller, Abe's of Maine - located in NJ) ever known for providing customer service?
Lost! likes this.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #3342 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 07:39 PM

Liked: 10
Exactly.

Ex
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Went by the the BB that I purchased my VT to pick up something this afternoon and told the guy who runs the AV department about the fan noise. Without asking he said they would do whatever was necessary to make sure I was satisfied even after I am out of my return window. Who said customer service is dead? Piece of mind - definitely worth a couple hundred bucks.

When was East Coast (aka EBay Power Seller, Abe's of Maine - located in NJ) ever known for providing customer service?
post #3343 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by S T I G View Post

QUESTION:

I'm currently using the CNET settings found here http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/

I can't find some settings that the CNET settings call out...

Under MORE DETAIL ADJUSTMENT:
"input signal" - I only see the option for one selection, from 10 to 100 in increments of 10. The CNET settings has many more numbers than that. I also have red/green/blue gain options under input signal level, CNET does not specify these settings.

Any other suggestions? Until I have a pro calibration I will use posted settings. Any other settings I should try besides CNET?

Your VT60 has the same settings as C-Net.

You are not clicking on "More detail adjustment" at the bottom of the page just above reset. Once you do click on "More detail adjustment" you will see 100 and under that you will see gain settings for Red, Green and blue. In put the settings for each RGB and then click on the top of the page where it says 100, you will now see a up/down arrow drop down list.
You must click on each from 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100 and enter the RGB settings for each of the 10 grayscale settings.

The other settings are for "Color detail adjustment" that's your Gamut/CMS. . The only color you need to enter using C-Nets settings is Magenta.

There is one error in those settings "Screen format: JUST", that should read Screen format: FULL.

ss
S T I G likes this.

"Don't worry be happy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3344 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Now it's tip time for all you DIY.

When using the "W/B detail adjustment", as you know that is a high and low range for the grayscale.
If you are using a meter to take your readings, do a 21 point grayscale and look at the odd numbers (5,15,25,35 ect.). Determine the best settings that have the best overall affects on all the odd numbers. Now run your 10 point Grayscale/Balance and set each one, then go back and run the 21 point grayscale to see how your 10 point settings affected the 21 point odd numbers.

The reason why I suggest this is because are VT60 (same as most high end TV) only has a 10 point Grayscale adjustment, so by using the High and low adjustment settings you probably will smooth out the odd numbers some what giving you a more detailed Grayscale/RGB Balance.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3345 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 08:50 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Get your set pro cal'd by a top calibrator and skin tones will look outstanding based on the source material.

That ain't going to help with the green tint on the THX modes.

TWD
post #3346 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

In some cases the "Green Tint" is caused by the Contrast and to a much lessor degree the sharpness settings being to high. Try lowering the Contrast setting In your THX high mode and see what happens, sharpness to 0.
That may help, but because all the detailed adjustments are locked there's not much you can do.

ss

And as far as having a "Pro" doing a Standard Calibration 10 point grayscale and 6 point Gamut) that should help, If you really want to get the most out of your VT60 have the "Pro" run a full LUT Cube (4913 point color Gamut) type of calibration. wink.gif

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #3347 of 15008 Old 07-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

There's no reason to use the THX modes if you have isf or custom mode calibrated. So yes, a calibration helps with green tint.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #3348 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 05:26 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Quote:

There's no reason to use the THX modes if you have isf or custom mode calibrated. So yes, a calibration helps with green tint.

i don't agree. if the set only calibrates to 30-35fl max and you watch during the day in a bright room, you need the THX Bright Room mode.

TWD
post #3349 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

I didn't say anyone was imagining things. smile.gif I said there may or may not be a green push, but THX mode is probably more accurate than plugging in ST60 settings on a VT60, as in the overall errors are probably lower. Just because it's more accurate doesn't mean there's not a green push... unless the errors are below 2-3%, errors will be visible. Whatever settings are more visually pleasing is another matter.

Assuming the images are an accurate representation of the picture, on my calibrated display, I agree with jconjason's assessment, however the first image looks visually closer to me. But then again, I don't know what film that is so I don't know how it's supposed to look.
This is probably subjective but to me THX bright room mode has quite a few issues. It looks a bit washed out and there is definitely skin tone issues where green patches appear all over the place. I am trying to get some kind of "custom" mode work for both night and day time viewing. What settings do you guys (who haven't professionally calibrated their sets yet) use?
post #3350 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 AM

With problems I've had, especially the flickering/brightness during sporting events, I've used the custom area and dialed mine in. It calms it down but does not eliminate it. I have yet to find a fix for the grainy/fuzzed out screen door look that can appear during dark or dimly lit scenes. That is a major picture quality problem and has ruined my tatse for the money I've spent on this set. Because this is a new model I'm hoping more people will either experience the same problems or my TV is a problem child.
post #3351 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i don't agree. if the set only calibrates to 30-35fl max and you watch during the day in a bright room, you need the THX Bright Room mode.
Quote:

A calibrator should be able to get any green tint out of THX mode too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifix View Post

This is probably subjective but to me THX bright room mode has quite a few issues. It looks a bit washed out and there is definitely skin tone issues where green patches appear all over the place. I am trying to get some kind of "custom" mode work for both night and day time viewing. What settings do you guys (who haven't professionally calibrated their sets yet) use?
THX Bright room looks washed out, in comparison, because the gamma is most likely lower. THX Bright room intentionally has a lower gamma because it's more suitable for bright rooms.

As for the green blobs, that could very well be the camera but I don't know for sure. While neither are perfect, the skin tones and scarf look much more natural on the THX picture IMO.
post #3352 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440michael View Post

With problems I've had, especially the flickering/brightness during sporting events, I've used the custom area and dialed mine in. It calms it down but does not eliminate it. I have yet to find a fix for the grainy/fuzzed out screen door look that can appear during dark or dimly lit scenes. That is a major picture quality problem and has ruined my tatse for the money I've spent on this set. Because this is a new model I'm hoping more people will either experience the same problems or my TV is a problem child.

Just curious, with all these problems you say you are having that you don't believe can be fixed, why haven't you taken it back or exchanged?

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #3353 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 444
All the talk about grainy and fuzzy pictures. Just a Netflix show and picture taken with my iPhone. Note there are windows to the left of the display - no reflection. Blacks blend in to bezel. Image quality is not an issue with this display - good settings and quality feed equal a great picture.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #3354 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

All the talk about grainy and fuzzy pictures. Just a Netflix show and picture taken with my iPhone. Note there are windows to the left of the display - no reflection. Blacks blend in to bezel. Image quality is not an issue with this display - good settings and quality feed equal a great picture.

Completely agree.... Taken with my droid bionics crappy camera....

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #3355 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

In some cases the "Green Tint" is caused by the Contrast and to a much lessor degree the sharpness settings being to high. Try lowering the Contrast setting In your THX high mode and see what happens, sharpness to 0.
That may help, but because all the detailed adjustments are locked there's not much you can do.

ss

And as far as having a "Pro" doing a Standard Calibration 10 point grayscale and 6 point Gamut) that should help, If you really want to get the most out of your VT60 have the "Pro" run a full LUT Cube (4913 point color Gamut) type of calibration. wink.gif

ss
Riddle me this kind sir .If you think why don't People like Kevin M,D-nice which both i have had in my house and They not use your LUT Cube (4913 point color Gamut? Why? Is it money cost of that equipment to take everywhere they go or is it not that big of difference Just sayin ..You seem to be the only that talks of this..I'm just asking is all smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #3356 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

THX mode is absolutely irrelevant to me with Pro calibrated modes. My brightest Pro mode (day) yields about 41 ftl which is fine for any of my daytime viewing.

post #3357 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 07:21 PM

Put me in the group of 60vt60 owners with no fan noise or buzz. Coming from a Samsung, I was a bit worried.
post #3358 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 PM

Hi,
Purchased the 60" VT 60 couple of weeks ago - I've noticed while watching some cable channels (most notably TNT in NY as well as others), that the playback/ motion seems to be a little faster than it should be. Just looks like things are running on a very subtle fast forward pace. Audio doesn't seem to be particularly affected and also seems to be in sync with video. I ended up getting a guy from Time Warner Cable to come out and have a look - I wasn't home but my wife said he fiddled with some settings on the cable box?
It hasn't changed anything, and when watching an MKV through the built-in media player, it seems to have this same problem of the picture just being slightly sped up - it now makes me think that it must be a problem with the TV rather than an issue with the cable service.
I'm hoping someone may have had the same issue or knows what I'm referring to, and if so that there is a simple fix for it that doesn't involve taking the TV back to the store!
Would appreciate and advice!
Thanks
post #3359 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

Riddle me this kind sir .If you think why don't People like Kevin M,D-nice which both i have had in my house and They not use your LUT Cube (4913 point color Gamut? Why? Is it money cost of that equipment to take everywhere they go or is it not that big of difference Just sayin ..You seem to be the only that talks of this..I'm just asking is all smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

The type of profiling/calibrating that I am talking about is the De facto type of calibration that is widely used by film studios, broadcast studios, mastering studios, iow pro type studios.
It has only been in the last year or so offered for home calibration for consumer grade displays.

Yes cost is a big consideration for two reasons. Software and hardware.
Also there is the time is money factor. To do a full profile (4913 points) of a Plasma type of display, you are looking at about 5 hours to complete properly. That is also saying you have a K10-A meter (about the fastest/accurate meter there is on the market). Plus the consumer must have something like the eecolor box to store and process this large type of calibration, so that is a extra cost to the consumer of about $650.

I am not saying that guys like D-Nice, Kevin Miller and others are not doing a very good job of calibrating, because they are doing the best job of calibrating with the tools they have to work with.

When you ask "is it not that big of difference", the answer is it depends on how critical the viewer is. Some folks think there is no need for any calibration, others are happy with using the WOW disc and still others swear by professional (standard) calibrations.
In my case I would never go back to a standard type of calibration.

Yes I guess I am the only one in this thread that talks about it, but if you go to the "Calibration Display" threads you will find there are many sub threads where they talk about the LUT cube profile/calibration.

btw, I have no interest in making any money for doing this type of calibration, I am simply a DIY' er that's been calibrating for about 5 years now and whats to take calibrating to its limits (one more time).. smile.gif

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #3360 of 15008 Old 07-14-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

SS,

Would you happen to know if there any difference in MLL between 60hz and 96hz?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page