Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 118 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 14956 Old 07-16-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 850
In my experience tv backlighting is very helpful for eye fatigue when watching in a dim/dark room.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 14956 Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Given the short time you've been here at AVS I can understand why you think that you answered LarryInRI's question. I don't know about him, but I would need more precise details in order to have any chance to help.

For instance when you say that you are "on standard" does that mean you are using The Standard Mode option, or are you using default settings?
I am happy to help you if you are willing to answer questions about your entire setup, the source material that's bad, the source material that's good and room conditions. At the moment, my impression is that you may be more interested in finding folks with the same complaints that you have than finding out how to get your set to perform better.

I don't think it's likely, but there is a reasonable chance that your TV needs repair.

Actually, even though I prefer plasma to LCD, I have recommended LCD sets to several people in my extended family, and they are happy with the results. If you want some help with your set PM me, and I'll start asking questions. wink.gif

First off thanks very much for answering. Yes, I'm using the standard mode but I have tried others. The default factory setting drives some of the settings to to very upper range. I have for the most part adjusted mine to about the middle but slightly on the lower side. I don't have any options turned on that adjust the picture. I have expermented with all source material. Older and very new. Same environment occurs. If it seems like I'm looking for people that might have the same kind of problems it's just beause times a-flying and I didn't want to let to much time slip by before I seek an enviroment that revolves around needing a tech. I was hoping that someone else might have had my problems and they had a concrete answer that corrected them. There is an authorized Panasonic repair service that's local here in the San Jose area that I am concidering. The picture gets so bad that I can't imagine an adjustment will correct this very grainy/screen door look that occurs in any darker environment. This is my first plasma and I wasn't aware of adjustments revolving around calibrating. The ultra grainy look that covers the darker portions during darker environments is so bad that I'm sure if an adjustment could take this out someone would have delt with this and had a fix. I don't like to be negative but I'm leaning towards I'm the one whos got the problem child. There is no way this condition of grain out could be discribed as something that's normal with plasmas. Not this bad. Thanks again. And maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is an adjustment fix for this. Hopefully I'll find out.
post #3513 of 14956 Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM

It appears that ARC does not work with at least some Yamaha receivers (mine is the RX-V575) and the VT60. I've triple-checked all the settings on both devices, and it just won't do it. I found that someone on the Panasonic Answers site had the same problem, and I see a couple mentions of it in this thread but no resolution as far as I can tell.

Has anybody else run into this? Resolved it? I sent an email to Panasonic support yesterday but haven't heard back from them yet. It's not the end of the world to use optical cable, obviously, but I was really looking forward to not having to worry about lip sync and such. That seems to be a minor issue while watching Netflix via the TV's app with sound going from optical out to the receiver. I assume that would not happen with ARC, but maybe that's not true.
post #3514 of 14956 Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Amazon uses a local delivery service according to where you live. Mine was Pilot. I assume they all adhere to Amazons rules though.

Not true as I described earlier. They alternated between the two services for me on various products. Obviously if only one of them operates in your area you'll get that one for sure.
post #3515 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 12:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Light out put no contrast ratio yes the vt60 is better by a long shot and it maintains that contrast ratio despite apl changes the 8500 contrast ratio degrades as apl increases

Sharpness is subjective
In the end they are both darn good sets !

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #3516 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Not true as I described earlier. They alternated between the two services for me on various products. Obviously if only one of them operates in your area you'll get that one for sure.
Could that just mean they are both local delivery services where you live?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3517 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

In the end they are both darn good sets !

I absolutely agree Chris have never maintained otherwise

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3518 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440michael View Post

First off thanks very much for answering. Yes, I'm using the standard mode but I have tried others. The default factory setting drives some of the settings to to very upper range. I have for the most part adjusted mine to about the middle but slightly on the lower side. I don't have any options turned on that adjust the picture. I have expermented with all source material. Older and very new. Same environment occurs. If it seems like I'm looking for people that might have the same kind of problems it's just beause times a-flying and I didn't want to let to much time slip by before I seek an enviroment that revolves around needing a tech. I was hoping that someone else might have had my problems and they had a concrete answer that corrected them. There is an authorized Panasonic repair service that's local here in the San Jose area that I am concidering. The picture gets so bad that I can't imagine an adjustment will correct this very grainy/screen door look that occurs in any darker environment. This is my first plasma and I wasn't aware of adjustments revolving around calibrating. The ultra grainy look that covers the darker portions during darker environments is so bad that I'm sure if an adjustment could take this out someone would have delt with this and had a fix. I don't like to be negative but I'm leaning towards I'm the one whos got the problem child. There is no way this condition of grain out could be discribed as something that's normal with plasmas. Not this bad. Thanks again. And maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is an adjustment fix for this. Hopefully I'll find out.

I haven't followed the entire post history but what I can tell you is Standard mode is by far the worst for dithering and noise, it is basically a worthless mode used to meet energy star requirements.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #3519 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 04:58 AM

Had my 60VT60 delivered by Pilot 2 weeks ago (purchased from Amazon). I have a TV stand that has the wall-mounting-style bracket on the back. I got the old TV out of the way the day before. On the day of delivery, ONE guy showed up with a van. He was outside getting ready to put the TV on a handcart when I went out to help him. The two of us carried it inside instead of using the cart thankfully.

The guy was very nice about telling me that I might want to throw a sheet or blanket down on the floor because the boxes are usually all covered in black dust on the bottom and many people have complained about dirty carpets afterwards. We took the top off of the box and left it sitting in the lower part of the box. Plugged it in to make sure it would turn on and inspected for any damage.

I had received the Pilot email the day before so I knew they weren't supposed to help lift it or put it on a base or a stand or anything like that, so I was prepared for that NOT to happen. However this guy did offer to help me lift it up onto the mount on my TV stand - even waited patiently for the few minutes that it took me to screw the mounting brackets onto the back of the TV. I gave the dude $10 for his help and all was good.
post #3520 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrValasco View Post

Had my 60VT60 delivered by Pilot 2 weeks ago (purchased from Amazon). I have a TV stand that has the wall-mounting-style bracket on the back. I got the old TV out of the way the day before. On the day of delivery, ONE guy showed up with a van. He was outside getting ready to put the TV on a handcart when I went out to help him. The two of us carried it inside instead of using the cart thankfully.

The guy was very nice about telling me that I might want to throw a sheet or blanket down on the floor because the boxes are usually all covered in black dust on the bottom and many people have complained about dirty carpets afterwards. We took the top off of the box and left it sitting in the lower part of the box. Plugged it in to make sure it would turn on and inspected for any damage.

I had received the Pilot email the day before so I knew they weren't supposed to help lift it or put it on a base or a stand or anything like that, so I was prepared for that NOT to happen. However this guy did offer to help me lift it up onto the mount on my TV stand - even waited patiently for the few minutes that it took me to screw the mounting brackets onto the back of the TV. I gave the dude $10 for his help and all was good.

Seems the experience varies widely, I too had to help carry my tv in but had to get someone to help me put it on the stand later, believe me with this guy I felt fortunate to get it into my place undamaged dude was on the edge of a coronary just getting the box top off. I complained to Amazon since I had to help carry it in myself and received a $100 dollar credit. Enhanced delivery in many cases means you will have to help carry it yourself lol

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #3521 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:

I haven't followed the entire post history but what I can tell you is Standard mode is by far the worst for dithering and noise, it is basically a worthless mode used to meet energy star requirements.

+++1
I really like the Pro mode. 440michael if you are using Standard then I can understand why your picture is marginal, knowing your other settings and source material in use when getting a grainy picture would be helpful as others have stated.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #3522 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Seems the experience varies widely, I too had to help carry my tv in but had to get someone to help me put it on the stand later, believe me with this guy I felt fortunate to get it into my place undamaged dude was on the edge of a coronary just getting the box top off. I complained to Amazon since I had to help carry it in myself and received a $100 dollar credit. Enhanced delivery in many cases means you will have to help carry it yourself lol

Mine was supposed to be delivered on Wednesday July 3rd but it didn't arrive at the local delivery place in time. Had to wait until Friday July 5th because of the holiday. Amazon took blame for the late delivery and gave me a $175 credit!
post #3523 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrValasco View Post

Mine was supposed to be delivered on Wednesday July 3rd but it didn't arrive at the local delivery place in time. Had to wait until Friday July 5th because of the holiday. Amazon took blame for the late delivery and gave me a $175 credit!

That is a plus, I will give Amazon credit for taking the feedback and doing something to compensate folks that complain.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #3524 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Guys, is there a way to adjust/shift the screen? I'm running slides now and it looks like my viewing area is shifted couple of pixels to the right.. Meaning it's like 6-7 pixel columns on the left and 3 pixel columns on the right side... I've looked for such settings but I can't find'em..

PSN: GeminiEffect
post #3525 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 07:55 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:

You basically have 3 options with the current generation of Panasonic plasmas as far as dithering vs contrast ratio. I'll explain:
First, standard is absolutely the worst possible picture mode. It's extremely unfortunate that they labeled it "standard," as this implies that it would be a good place to start. Unfortunately this mode is simultaneously very dim and runs in the lowest gradation drive mode. Never, ever use it. In fact, you should really only use the "custom" or "pro" modes unless you want to use the THX mode.

Once you're out of standard you have three gradation vs contrast options. These are seen in the interface as "panel brightness," however that name is just there to avoid confusion (in reality it creates more). This is essentially the panel drive mode setting.
High: Increased brightness in exchange for increased dither. Basically no one ever uses this mode, because the damage it does to dark details is far worse than the slight increase in overall light output it provides. Standard uses this mode but also caps the power output, which is what makes it the worst mode.
Mid: This is the default setting for any of the calibrate-able modes. A Middle ground between high contrast and dithering in dark images. Generally considered the best choice for normal viewing distances, however you may still see dithering if you sit at what I'll call "monitor FOV" distances.
Low: In this mode the panel sacrifices contrast for excellent gradation, resulting in almost no dithering even at the darkest shades. It's less used than "mid" because it does bring the black levels up slightly and decreases the peak output. If you're setting very close to the TV then this might be a good trade, but we're talking about the "monitor FOV" distance I mentioned before. This means sitting close enough to the TV that it takes up as much of your field of view as a desktop monitor might.
Quote:

Yeah, there's a huge amount of variance. It's not really an Amazon-specific issue, it's actually about how the freight carriers in your area handle things. In some places the large freight companies do direct delivery, while in other places (especially as you get farther from a major hub city) they sub-contract the delivery to basically anyone with a truck. In my case I had a relatively professional crew of 2 show up who were familiar with setting up the TV (probably done tons of them) and had it on the stand extremely quickly. But I'm in a city with the warehouse for the freight company no more than 20 miles from my house. Anyway, depending on your location the freight shipper might send it off with some other "company" which may consist of a guy with a van. Giving you some cash back is about the best Amazon can do because they don't have significant leverage over these freight companies, which make most of their money delivering incredibly large and heavy things to businesses. It's not optimal but you won't get companies like UPS or FedEx to even touch shipments this large and heavy.
post #3526 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Having ordered several large displays before, I can say Pilot shipping is the absolute worst for only sending out one person which meant I always got stuck helping the guy. CEVA has always been excellent. Your mileage may vary.

post #3527 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pilot delivered mine and only one guy showed up so I had to help. No problems other than that and really didnt mind having to help. Would be bad if I was in a wheel chair or something. He didnt get a tip from me since I had to help and it took less than 5 minutes didnt even break a sweat.
post #3528 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by S T I G View Post

Pilot delivered mine and only one guy showed up so I had to help. No problems other than that and really didnt mind having to help. Would be bad if I was in a wheel chair or something. He didnt get a tip from me since I had to help and it took less than 5 minutes didnt even break a sweat.

I really don't understand why they'd show up with 1 person for a delivery like that. I truly believe, based on this as well as many other stories, that Pilot really couldn't care less about customer service. I suspect they don't have any solid competition, otherwise how could they afford to get so complacent in their position?

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #3529 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

It's very common unfortunately it was. Contracted out locally in my case

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #3530 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't tip a guy delivering a box unless he really really did something special. The UPS guy never gets tipped, and that dude is like santa to me biggrin.gif
post #3531 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I received my new 55VT60 yesterday (Thanks Chris @ Cleveland) and have been running D-Nice's slide ever since. It is pretty quiet. It is sitting down in my man cave on the bar though. It will be wall mounted upstairs when its broken in so hopefully the sound level won't change. I've been pretty concerned about that after reading post from this thread.

Anyway my question is: Where is the microphone? If I want to Skype how do I transmit audio? Is it the mic on the touch remote?

Steve
post #3532 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That's right.
The internal sources, TV Tuner, TV USB ports, and Netflix like applications, should all output more than stereo if the source has surround audio. The only way to get those results from your player or your TiVo is to go through your AVR for audio. Again, my impression is that Amazon isn't outputting 5.1, and 5.1 sources at Netflix are a small minority of their streaming content.
Is your TV hard wired to the Internet or is it wireless? This setup should work for you but you're going to need to figure out why you're not getting surround sound out from the TV's Netflix.
Clean cable setup, easier control of all audio sources, and lossless audio from Blu-ray disks are the main advantages. Why do you prefer to do your streaming from the TV? Many people use the Roku or Apple TV as stand alone streaming devices.
Unless your current AVR is underpowered for your room and speakers, then an increase in real power won't make much difference. The Sony seems to have a lot of features for the price. Sony may be using an inflated way to produce high power numbers. If you're interested in 3D that would be an advantage. Don't expect anything from the 4K pass through feature. At the moment it's mostly hype.

First of all, I want to thank you and the others who have helped me with this. I only have a moment to post right now, but did want to report that I used the VT60's native Viera apps Netflix app last night, cued up an episode of Breaking Bad, fed it to the AVR via an optical cable and, sure enough, it pushed Dolby D.

Also, because my pre-HDMI 2002 Onkyo AVR is so 'long in the tooth' now, and because i'm having some unrelated power on/off issues with it, I ordered from Amazon Warehouse deals a 'Like New' Sony STR-DH830 AVR for a steal, i.e. less than two fifty. If nothing else, it should save me from pulling a few extra HDMI cables from the AVR to the VT60 when I start tidying things up after this initial shakedown.

Thanks again!
post #3533 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 AM

Chunon......Thanks for your comment.

headlesschicken.Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I will certainaly ditch the standard mode and adjust from there. This could very well be my entire problem.

Thanks again....Mike
post #3534 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 AM

headlesschicken.Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I will certainaly ditch the standard mode and adjust from there. This could very well be my entire problem.

Thanks again....Mike
post #3535 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again....Mike

I truly hope that is it, VT60 is a great set

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #3536 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It will do the same thing (less than hockey) on basketball games. After several contacts with the Panasonic help line a tech was finally able to re-produce the brightness flickering. According to him they are working on it. Don't know what that means or if a correction can be made. I'll tell you........watching a game with the picture constantly brightening every 10 seconds is not something a $3000 TV should do. I have talked to the store manager a couple of times and now I am the enemy for bringing up ANY issue with this set. It's now like the rip off car dealer. You paid. You signed the bottom line. Now get off the lot !!

If changing modes like many many people have advised you to do 'fixes' it, maybe you should call panasonic back and let them know since they are hard at work on a fix for your issue.
post #3537 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazylik View Post

Guys, is there a way to adjust/shift the screen? I'm running slides now and it looks like my viewing area is shifted couple of pixels to the right.. Meaning it's like 6-7 pixel columns on the left and 3 pixel columns on the right side... I've looked for such settings but I can't find'em..

I believe what you're describing is pixel orbit. You want it off while running slides.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #3538 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 AM

So I have a dilema. I can get the 60"VT60 or 65"ST60 for the same price. I will feed the unit through a Pioneer Elite AV system (HDMI signalt for DTV and DVD/Blueray) and have no need for audio output. Minimal "smart TV" feature use as well. Viewing distance is 10ft in fairly bright room.

Do I opt for the larger size or the better screen filter to reduce room glare?!?!?!!?

Thanks for your input.
B.
post #3539 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

imo size matters. Only if I were sitting in a way where my eyes were within 6ft of the screen would I consider something smaller like a 60
post #3540 of 14956 Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimolaoha View Post

First of all, I want to thank you and the others who have helped me with this. I only have a moment to post right now, but did want to report that I used the VT60's native Viera apps Netflix app last night, cued up an episode of Breaking Bad, fed it to the AVR via an optical cable and, sure enough, it pushed Dolby D.

Also, because my pre-HDMI 2002 Onkyo AVR is so 'long in the tooth' now, and because i'm having some unrelated power on/off issues with it, I ordered from Amazon Warehouse deals a 'Like New' Sony STR-DH830 AVR for a steal, i.e. less than two fifty. If nothing else, it should save me from pulling a few extra HDMI cables from the AVR to the VT60 when I start tidying things up after this initial shakedown.

Thanks again!

Not sure if this help but I have a Elite AVR that's has ARC I just tried the you tube app and I can not get the sounds to come out of my AVR. The sound comes out of the TV speakers only I am using HDMI. I'm guess that's this issue is because Panasonic for got to add the option to turn off the Internal TV speakers. I haven't tried optic yet maybe it will work then.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page