Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 163 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBrew View Post

Sorry, I know this an old post. But do you know if anyone figured out to fix the incompatibility with the Denon receivers? I'm having this same exact issue with my Denon 2807. Denon, while trying to be helpful, couldn't offer a fix. Panasonic's customer support was completely useless. The person was just reading from a script and offered no real technical support. She couldn't even tell me how to enable ARC. I had to read this thread for that! Thanks BTW!

I would love to be able to get this TV to work with my AVR without having to use the work around I'm using now.

The answer is the zt60 works great with the 5805mk2. Only problem I had is that my old Panasonic bd35 wouldn't keep its 1080p/24 setting when routed thru my (otherwise awsome) receiver. bd35 hookup directly to zt60 no problem (as I recall), and even briefly after I put it back on the receiver it was doing 96hz for a little bit. But once I changed receiver inputs, and/or powered off the bd35 (forget which), it would default to 1080i and could not be set back to 1080p/24 (such that I could switch the zt60 back to 96hz).

Solution was to retire that Panasonic bd player (it was getting just a little flakey just every once in a while, so the above issue seemed like a good second opinion about what to do with it). Oppo 103 is the bd35's replacement and works well, retains 1080p/24 setting just fine, whether hooked directly to the tv, or routed through the 5805mk2.

I suspect the possible situation with the 2807 (as I recall a fairly old model as well) is that it does not support newer hdmi technologies (one or more of: lossless audio decoding, 3D, ARC). There are simple workarounds for all of these (for my setup): lossless audio decoded to lossless multichannel pcm in the bd player; dual bd player hdmi outputs, one going to tv for 3D, one going to rcvr for audio; optical cable from tv to rcvr for audio from tv; respectively. Older receivers mean newer technologies may not be supported as nicely as newer receivers. Good thing when there happens to be viable workarounds. I should be good for another 5 years or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericksonts View Post

This is interesting. There are at least two differences between your setup and mine. Your GPU is different, and you are running your PC output through a receiver rather than directly into the TV. Three possible additional difference are: 1. The video card manufacturer. My card is from Asus, andI think each card manufacturer supplies its own card BIOS. 2. The specific Nvidia driver; I am using their most recent beta driver. 3. In the VT60's menu I have set "1080p Direct" to ON, which switches to 4:4:4.

I should say that my PC output has never looked better, much better than on my old (but pretty good) Samung plasma. These VT60's really have an amazing picture.

My card is a GeForce. My receiver, a Marantz SR8002 is meant to simply pass the video signal directly to the TV (which is one of the reasons why I purchased it - wasn't interested in any kind of "upscaling"). I am using the most recently released driver (not beta). I also have "1080p Direct" set to ON. The problem only seems to occur when I set the TV HDMI/DVI RGB Range to "Nonstandard" (or "Auto"). Then the picture looks very washed out, and blacks become a grey color.

The TV looks great if I leave it to "Standard". A guy I know is coming to calibrate my TV next month, so I'll ask him and see what he thinks. He also calibrated my first plasma, which was a Panasonic 50" commercial model from 9 years ago.

As a side note, I also hooked up a blu-ray player. The picture looked the same (i.e. great) as when using the PC (using THX Cinema default settings). To those who say a PC cannot deliver as good a picture as a standalone blu-ray player I politely say "rubbish". Decent PC + decent graphics card + HDMI + uncompressed file (about 40GB) is outstanding. My receiver also displays "True HD" and "DTS-HD Master" when the appropriate sound signal is detected.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Shouldn't all this laptop/pc and graphics card talk be taken to the appropriate place? Along with Panasonic settings.... There's threads for those things. This one isn't.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbragwel View Post

Look at post #4712 by HT100 and see if this fixes your issue. He fixed it for me and others.

Did what HT100 suggested. The Panasonic tells me "function not available" when I click on the Vierra Link app as suggested. Peculiar considering I have it turned on under the Vierra Link settings. Not sure how to get the app to work. Anyone else run into this?
Old 09-18-2013, 05:47 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by znutz View Post

Did what HT100 suggested. The Panasonic tells me "function not available" when I click on the Vierra Link app as suggested. Peculiar considering I have it turned on under the Vierra Link settings. Not sure how to get the app to work. Anyone else run into this?

Make sure you have this turned on on your receiver as well. I got the same message until I had everything enabled in the receiver as well, then the option went from "Not Available" to being able to choose "TV Speakers" or "Receiver".
Old 09-18-2013, 06:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Make sure you have this turned on on your receiver as well. I got the same message until I had everything enabled in the receiver as well, then the option went from "Not Available" to being able to choose "TV Speakers" or "Receiver".

I had the same problem, 'Not Available', until I turned it on in the receiver (Yamaha RX-V675). All works well now.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 (Cal by DNice)
Yamaha RX-V675
Yamaha 5.1 Surround Speakers
Yamaha LFE
PS3
XBox
Wii
Logitech Harmony 1100
Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC XBMC
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:

I'm going to give a hard reset to the receiver and post back. It is currently enabled but not "registering" with the Panasonic.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 AM

Liked: 12
Hi all,

A month ago i got a samsung f8000 which i ended up returning due to 3d issues.
I decided to go with the 65VT60 as a replacement as i wasn't happy with the vertical banding, light bleed, motion issues on the f8000.

When I installed the VT60 the difference was night and day, even without any calibrations and set at standard mode, so I'm definately happy about that, the image quality is amazing.

I started by turning enhancements off and also updating to the latest firmware in order to have certain things work (skype requested this)

Yesterday I wanted to see how many hours I used the set, so i got in the service menu and saw 28 hours of usage (btw, on my set the VT60W i've noticed that when in the service menu, i had to press the "2" button twice and not once as the walkthroughs suggest in order to reach the correct page where the "time" info could be seen).

Anyways, my question relates to this "time"
I read online somwhere that the timer will reset after a firmware update, is this true?
if so, then the 28 hours i saw in the service menu probably would be much more, as i watched tv for some days before doing the firmware update.

I'm asking as i was hoping to use this "time" in the service menu to be informed when i reached the appropriate time for calibration.

Thank you for any input.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:

I'm going to give a hard reset to the receiver and post back. It is currently enabled but not "registering" with the Panasonic.

Still at a loss getting the Audio Return Channel to work

I have tried hard resets on both the Panasonic VT 60 and the Denon 2112 CI. Turned on HDMI control on both devices; Vierra Link on the Panasonic and HDMI control set to "on" on the Denon. Tried HT100's advice of using the App menu on the Panasonic and setting the Viera Link app to home theater but I get the message "Feature not available" Any ideas why this might be happening? Everything seems to be setup as it should be and I am using the HDMI 2 input on the Panasonic. I am at an absolute loss. Maybe try a different HDMI cable?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Still at a loss getting the Audio Return Channel to work

I have tried hard resets on both the Panasonic VT 60 and the Denon 2112 CI. Turned on HDMI control on both devices; Vierra Link on the Panasonic and HDMI control set to "on" on the Denon. Tried HT100's advice of using the App menu on the Panasonic and setting the Viera Link app to home theater but I get the message "Feature not available" Any ideas why this might be happening? Everything seems to be setup as it should be and I am using the HDMI 2 input on the Panasonic. I am at an absolute loss. Maybe try a different HDMI cable?

Well, it was the HDMI cable after all. Switched to a different brand and everything works. Grrrrr for the hassle. Applause for the results. Thanks all for the help. Interestingly, it was the monoprice premium hdmi cable that didn't work. An included cable from a set-top box did the trick.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:

Well, it was the HDMI cable after all. Switched to a different brand and everything works. Grrrrr for the hassle. Applause for the results. Thanks all for the help. Interestingly, it was the monoprice premium hdmi cable that didn't work. An included cable from a set-top box did the trick.
It had nothing to do with the brand. The Monoprice cable is probably an older 1.3 compatible type or just simply defective.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Hello all,

First time poster loooong time reader (about 3-4 years on and off). First of all I would like to thank all of you for the information and experiences you have provided regarding plasmas, it has helped me tremendously in searching for a set. I have finally bit the bullet and bought a 65" ZT. This is definitely an upgrade to the Samsung CRT I bought in 04 which is still kicking ass so I set it up in my bedroom.

Now to the point of this post, where can I get slides to break in the tv? Im pressed for time so Ill leave it at that but will def have more q's when I return. Once again thank you all for everything!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco Salamanca View Post

Hello all,

First time poster loooong time reader (about 3-4 years on and off). First of all I would like to thank all of you for the information and experiences you have provided regarding plasmas, it has helped me tremendously in searching for a set. I have finally bit the bullet and bought a 65" ZT. This is definitely an upgrade to the Samsung CRT I bought in 04 which is still kicking ass so I set it up in my bedroom.

Now to the point of this post, where can I get slides to break in the tv? Im pressed for time so Ill leave it at that but will def have more q's when I return. Once again thank you all for everything!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread
Tuco Salamanca likes this.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:29 AM

I posted in the Vt thread instead of the Zt thread. My mistake.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Shouldn't all this laptop/pc and graphics card talk be taken to the appropriate place? Along with Panasonic settings.... There's threads for those things. This one isn't.
Agreed. Sorry about that. If anyone wants to find answers to these issues then simply google "panasonic hdmi non standard". I had it all explained to me here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1412033/the-official-panasonic-ut50-settings-issues-thread/60
Old 09-18-2013, 04:29 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Glad you got it working.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by S AUB View Post

Hi all,

A month ago i got a samsung f8000 which i ended up returning due to 3d issues.
I decided to go with the 65VT60 as a replacement as i wasn't happy with the vertical banding, light bleed, motion issues on the f8000.

When I installed the VT60 the difference was night and day, even without any calibrations and set at standard mode, so I'm definately happy about that, the image quality is amazing..
Friend's do not let friend's by edge lit LED's unless they are the Sharp 80" and up. ( They are just to cheap smile.gif )
mo949 likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Friend's do not let friend's by edge lit LED's unless they are the Sharp 80" and up. ( They are just to cheap smile.gif )

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't they been using the same panel the last few years for the 80"?

I cannot believe how much Samsung is charging for the 75" F8000. I had briefly considered both displays as I would love that size, but PQ still matters too much to me, hence, I went with the 65" VT60.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:13 PM

Hey guys, I'll be the newest VT60 owner when my shipment gets here sometime next week.

Quick question. Since this is my first "Smart TV" I'll be browsing the internet/youtubinh a lot! Instead of using the remote to navigate the internet on the TV... Any way I can use a wireless mouse / keyboard?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

i won't smile.gif
love the set!
do you have any idea in regards to the usage timer resetting after a firmware update or does this not happen?

also i have the vt60w (latin american market) and i've noticed some missing (completely missing, NOT just there but grayed out) menu settings like for example
  • 24p direct in (i use a HTPC and have it set to 24p over hdmi, the tv also indicates this is what's coming in, still the setting is not available in menu)
  • 3:2 pulldown (i understand this only works for interlaced input, yet it does not even appear in the men)
  • 3d y/c filter
  • Black level
  • CATS (although i do have ambient sensor on/off, which i believe does the same?)

Are these just plain missing or are they available under other names or maybe automatically adjusted?

I have no clue and have searched so much without finding a thing...

Thanks for any insights you might be able to provide.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any one ever experience a similar glitch to me. When hitting the volume button on my cable remote to adjust the tv volume the screen flickered out for a brief second and the top drop down home menu came up. Almost as if it shut it off and put it back on but it never went off. Very odd that it did that wondering if any one experienced a similar glitch. It's only happened one time and obviously I know any software has a glitch every now and then.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
Old 09-19-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Semp1

Does it do the same with the Panasonic remote?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkhmerkid4u View Post

Hey guys, I'll be the newest VT60 owner when my shipment gets here sometime next week.

Quick question. Since this is my first "Smart TV" I'll be browsing the internet/youtubinh a lot! Instead of using the remote to navigate the internet on the TV... Any way I can use a wireless mouse / keyboard?

Please respond.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkhmerkid4u View Post

Please respond.
Look at Post #1959 in this thread.
lilkhmerkid4u likes this.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

$350-$450.

For that amount of money to get it calibrated will there be a big difference in the end results after it has been calibrated compared to what i'm viewing now with CNET settings plugged in? The PQ quality is awesome and before I pay that much I just wanted to know will there actually be a big enough difference. Forgive me as I have had LCD's all my life and this is my first ever plasma so I'm a plasma newbie smile.gif I currently have a Sony Bravia LCD and the Panasonic VT60 and the VT60 is just so much better. So was just wondering how much better a professional calibrator can actually make it. Thanks
Old 09-19-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thats impossible for me to say. I can only say that if you are impressed with the CNet settings you may want to save your money. If you could easily afford it I doubt youd be asking what you are.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
I know I can't...after splurging for the even more costly ZT. Will be lucky if I have it paid off by summer 2014 (this will be a 5-year TV at the least). ;(
Old 09-20-2013, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife View Post

For that amount of money to get it calibrated will there be a big difference in the end results after it has been calibrated compared to what i'm viewing now with CNET settings plugged in? The PQ quality is awesome and before I pay that much I just wanted to know will there actually be a big enough difference. Forgive me as I have had LCD's all my life and this is my first ever plasma so I'm a plasma newbie smile.gif I currently have a Sony Bravia LCD and the Panasonic VT60 and the VT60 is just so much better. So was just wondering how much better a professional calibrator can actually make it. Thanks

If you want the absolute best your TV has to offer, get it calibrated. Several members have said how blown away they were after calibration and how they couldn't believe they waited so long.

If you can afford it, i say do it!

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

Old 09-20-2013, 04:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

If you want the absolute best your TV has to offer, get it calibrated. Several members have said how blown away they were after calibration and how they couldn't believe they waited so long.

If you can afford it, i say do it!
Just for the record. I got mine professionally calibrated and while it was a significant improvement I was certainly not blown away.

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread