Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 169 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5041 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

Hi guys, received my 65vt60 yesterday. The delivery guys were awful (long story)! Anyway, I'm really not sure what to think so far. My first impression is that the picture is awfully dim. It almost looks like there is a film covering the screen almost a foggy look to it. I even double checked to make sure there wasnt some protective film covering it. I've been watching almost exclusively thx cinema. Although, the brightness in custom looks better to me, but not the colors. Not sure why, but the tv I saw in BB looked brighter, clearer, and the colors looked like they had way more pop. Maybe because i was watching blue ray and i dont have a blue ray player yet?I had a Sony CRT, but have been borrowing my brothers 5 yr old 42" samsung plasma for the past eight months and that looks sharper and more saturated to me. Maybe it was brighter and sharper because it was smaller? There is no doubt the blacks are great on this set. I def hear the fans and the buzz at the same time. It def looked better last night with all the lights off, but it still had that foggy look to it. I do believe that this tv was made for strictly bat caves and blue ray material. Also, the screen is very reflective in my room. I have 60 days to try this tv out so I will see how it goes and how my eyes adjust to what I see. This is a April build date which I surprised about, but then again I'm sure they bang out thousands of these sets that month. I know it was me tikned before, but How do you check the hours on this set? Anyway, these are obviously my own opinions one a set I've watched for only five hours ish and I don't mean to anger anyone who thinks differently. I really want to love this very expensive (for me) set. I will we how it goes. Thanks guys.
Probably looked so bright because they put their TVs in "torch mode" because BB isn't very knowledgable. If your in these threads you have more knowledge than any sales man at BB. They just read the pan-flits..gets frustrating. I just give them a pat on the back and say nice try buddy. Lol.

It's unfortunate your not seeing what others see I hope whatever you decide works out to your benefit. Just cause something has spectacular reviews doesn't always mean it's for you. I personally think you should check out an S60. I'm not big on the bells and whistles my self but the extensive PQ controls and better blacks is a plus. The 3D doesn't fully take my interest but it's there if I want to use it. Anyway good luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Getting my VT60 tomorrow smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5043 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKIK View Post

Hi guys, received my 65vt60 yesterday. The delivery guys were awful (long story)! Anyway, I'm really not sure what to think so far. My first impression is that the picture is awfully dim. It almost looks like there is a film covering the screen almost a foggy look to it. I even double checked to make sure there wasnt some protective film covering it. I've been watching almost exclusively thx cinema. Although, the brightness in custom looks better to me, but not the colors. Not sure why, but the tv I saw in BB looked brighter, clearer, and the colors looked like they had way more pop. Maybe because i was watching blue ray and i dont have a blue ray player yet?I had a Sony CRT, but have been borrowing my brothers 5 yr old 42" samsung plasma for the past eight months and that looks sharper and more saturated to me. Maybe it was brighter and sharper because it was smaller? There is no doubt the blacks are great on this set. I def hear the fans and the buzz at the same time. It def looked better last night with all the lights off, but it still had that foggy look to it. I do believe that this tv was made for strictly bat caves and blue ray material. Also, the screen is very reflective in my room. I have 60 days to try this tv out so I will see how it goes and how my eyes adjust to what I see. This is a April build date which I surprised about, but then again I'm sure they bang out thousands of these sets that month. I know it was me tikned before, but How do you check the hours on this set? Anyway, these are obviously my own opinions one a set I've watched for only five hours ish and I don't mean to anger anyone who thinks differently. I really want to love this very expensive (for me) set. I will we how it goes. Thanks guys.

Plasmas take a couple hundred hours to settle in, The default THX cinema setting is dimmer under 30ftl I believe.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #5044 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Getting my VT60 tomorrow smile.gif

If you have a eecolor box, I can E-Mail you a Large 17^3 LUT and you can also use my Grayscale setting and pre calibration setting for your new VT60.that I have posted here on AVS.

Or if you live near and have a eecolor box I can come over and and profile your VT60, set you up with a jaw dropping custom/reference 17^3 LUT calibration. It will take me about three hours to profile my Klein and I1pro 2 for your VT60, do a manual Grayscale/Temp and of course a referance 17^3 LUT, As I have done in the past for AVS members, It will not cost you one penny. wink.gif.
That's how I keep my DIY status unlike a pro that changes money for there services, I don't have a agenda being a DIY'er.smile.gif.
post #5045 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 07:27 AM

Liked: 11
I just recently purchased this set and I am really enjoying it luckily none of the nuances others have reported are evident in my set. I have read through this thread in the past three days and have a couple of questions.

1. Does this TV have a blue only setting like some Samsung TVs?
2. After using the copy settings feature to copy from ISF 1 to cinema the copy is not exact when switching between the two I can see a brightness or gamma difference is this normal?
3. When setting up my bluray player do I use deep color 4:2:2 or 4:4:4? I know this has been discussed here before and I read a little on it but this topic was never really followed up or I missed it.
post #5046 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Chad will be calibrating my set in a few weeks he does a great job smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #5047 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 10:03 AM

Just a random question for the thread.

I own the 50S64 got it from Costco with a 5 year warranty all around 7xx$. Now Sam's has the 65S64 (low stock online only) for 12xx$(idk what rules on listing price is in this thread). I'm sure I can get them to match Costco warranty and shipping.

My question is do I get a lager version of my TV for a great price. 65" might be too big for my room though...so in turn I would prolly get a 60" S60 for 9xx$ from Amazon. Or grab the 55" VT60 (knowing new 2014 models coming next year) from Amazon for about a grand more? Is it worth it (not size wise) to get a VT60 over the s60/64 or are we talking slight improvements such as blacks colors etc..over the lower end models for 1K more?

Common sense would tell you grab the 65" do to value and very good PQ..but as far as performance I know the VT is superior but is it 1K better?
post #5048 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Get the 60S60 for $900.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #5049 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think anyone can answer that for you are you planning on getting the set professionally calibrated? If so the VT60 has some advantages there. Better blacks, motion handling, superior color reproduction and more steps of gradation are advantages also. Do you need an A/R filter ? I am guessing no since you purchased the S60. There are advantages to the VT series but not everyone considers them to be important. You mentioned you don't care about 3d but having it is a nice extra imo.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #5050 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by a33montoya View Post

I just recently purchased this set and I am really enjoying it luckily none of the nuances others have reported are evident in my set. I have read through this thread in the past three days and have a couple of questions.

1. Does this TV have a blue only setting like some Samsung TVs?
2. After using the copy settings feature to copy from ISF 1 to cinema the copy is not exact when switching between the two I can see a brightness or gamma difference is this normal?
3. When setting up my bluray player do I use deep color 4:2:2 or 4:4:4? I know this has been discussed here before and I read a little on it but this topic was never really followed up or I missed it.
Difference between pro and cinema is because the later has a few things locked that you don't see in the menu - you will see that with all the modes ex pro when you use the exact same settings across all of them (game may be an exception). As for your blu-ray player turn off deep color and use 4:4:4 - player settings were done when I had the display calibrated. I can be more specific regarding blu-ray settings if you like when I get home for both panel/player - I use an Oppo 103 with my VT.

Difference between pro and cinema is because the later has a few things locked/adjusted/unavailable that you don't always see in the menu - you will see that with all the modes ex pro when you use the exact same settings across all of them (game may be an exception). As for your blu-ray player turn off deep color and use 4:4:4 - my blu-ray player settings were adjusted when my VT was calibrated - not that the calibration makes a difference for something like deep color, etc. I can be more specific regarding blu-ray settings if you like when I get home for both panel/player - I use an Oppo 103 with my VT.
a33montoya likes this.
post #5051 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

I own the 50S64 got it from Costco with a 5 year warranty all around 7xx$. Now Sam's has the 65S64 (low stock online only) for 12xx$(idk what rules on listing price is in this thread). I'm sure I can get them to match Costco warranty and shipping.

My question is do I get a lager version of my TV for a great price. 65" might be too big for my room though...so in turn I would prolly get a 60" S60 for 9xx$ from Amazon. Or grab the 55" VT60 (knowing new 2014 models coming next year) from Amazon for about a grand more? Is it worth it (not size wise) to get a VT60 over the s60/64 or are we talking slight improvements such as blacks colors etc..over the lower end models for 1K more?

Common sense would tell you grab the 65" do to value and very good PQ..but as far as performance I know the VT is superior but is it 1K better?
The # 1 reason for buyer remorse is screen size. Get the 65".
post #5052 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Okay that makes sense I just copied the settings then went back and forth and had seen the visual difference and disregarded the locked settings. I was able to score a Spears & Munsil Blu-ray from my coworker they have some test to select the 4:2:2 vs. 4:4:4. My TV will be properly calibrated in October but for now I'm just trying to get it pleasing to the eye and as correct as one can without the proper tools. I did notice when setting the bluray player to 4:4:4 the pure direct mode is selectable also with 4:4:4 it seems as if the black bars on widescreen movies are darker. This may be placebo however as I do not have any tools to measure this.
post #5053 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:

I think the VT would be worth $1000 more, but that's just me. For others who are not as serious and not getting pro cal'd, it may not be. If you wait until Nov/Dec you will find some very good deals too.

post #5054 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The # 1 reason for buyer remorse is screen size. Get the 65".
Completely understandable but In a 12x13 room I don't think a 65" would be sufficient just do to lack of distance and that dimension is not that big. I was originally going to grab the 65" and put it downstairs but since living home now do to school the parents don't want me taking over their downstairs (I know I'm a loser since I live home I know please save the bashing).

So I think my best bet unless the 65" is okay for that type of dimension would be 60S60 vs 55VT60? I really enjoy the 64...but at the same time I feel it lacks something I want a little more of and that's black level. I'm unfortunately and I only say unfortunately because the tech was/is so great..spoiled by a pioneer black level as a lot in here once were or still are.

Does anyone have Apple TV 3rd generation with 1080 output and feel the PQ transferred via HDMI is a little soft compared to say a Blu-ray Disc?? I feel like its a little soft...still looks great but when i watched for example Rambo (awesome btw, the newest one well old now) I felt the blacks were much better/deeper via PS3 and Blu-ray Disc. Is this because the Apple TV is streaming material even though connected with hdmi compared to direct connection and source? I was told by apple it should look how 1080p from any source should look but I always take that with grains of salt since they are representing a company!
post #5055 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I think the VT would be worth $1000 more, but that's just me. For others who are not as serious and not getting pro cal'd, it may not be. If you wait until Nov/Dec you will find some very good deals too.
I was hoping hoping Columbus Day would have some nice deals! Not going to be as good as end of year deals but still a few hundred off would be ideal.
post #5056 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You should really start a new thread since youre debating 3 different models. This is the VT thread.

post #5057 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a33montoya View Post

Okay that makes sense I just copied the settings then went back and forth and had seen the visual difference and disregarded the locked settings. I was able to score a Spears & Munsil Blu-ray from my coworker they have some test to select the 4:2:2 vs. 4:4:4. My TV will be properly calibrated in October but for now I'm just trying to get it pleasing to the eye and as correct as one can without the proper tools. I did notice when setting the bluray player to 4:4:4 the pure direct mode is selectable also with 4:4:4 it seems as if the black bars on widescreen movies are darker. This may be placebo however as I do not have any tools to measure this.

Not sure if the blacks are different, but 4:4:4 and pure direct is recommended.

post #5058 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Chad will be calibrating my set in a few weeks he does a great job smile.gif

Very happy on the job he did on mine. smile.gif

post #5059 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

You should really start a new thread since youre debating 3 different models. This is the VT thread.

I honestly wish I knew how to do that. Sorry got a bit off topic but everyone was being so helpful with my questions unlike some other threads. But I will discontinue the topic now. Seems the answer is basically get the bigger set because some of the features exhibited from s60 to vt60 don't seem big enough for a 1K difference.

Regardless of TV I am curious if anyone uses Apple TV on their vt60 and feels it lacks PQ quality compared to blu ray
post #5060 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have Apple TV 3rd generation with 1080 output and feel the PQ transferred via HDMI is a little soft compared to say a Blu-ray Disc?? I feel like its a little soft...still looks great but when i watched for example Rambo (awesome btw, the newest one well old now) I felt the blacks were much better/deeper via PS3 and Blu-ray Disc. Is this because the Apple TV is streaming material even though connected with hdmi compared to direct connection and source? I was told by apple it should look how 1080p from any source should look but I always take that with grains of salt since they are representing a company!

Yes, Apple TV is not as sharp as blu-ray, the stream is condensed somewhat.
post #5061 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 01:29 PM

Liked: 10
hey how long can IR last when do you kno its burt
post #5062 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

(I know I'm a loser since I live home I know please save the bashing).

I truly hope that comment was in jest, and not serious....

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #5063 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 03:48 PM

Just got the 65vt60 at Bestbuy. I'll be reading thread later today for information on settings. Can't wait to hook-up

Panasonic 65VT60
Paradigm Studio 60
Paradim Studio CC590
Paradigm SR-15
Integra DTR 40.2
HSU VTF-15H
post #5064 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by janick View Post

Just got the 65vt60 at Bestbuy. I'll be reading thread later today for information on settings. Can't wait to hook-up

My advice to you is to not read the thread and enjoy your set. Be sure to put some hours - 100 or so before getting too wild and crazy with leaving logos on for long periods of time - like NFL Network. 300 hours before calibrating. Stop reading and start watching, your going to enjoy your purchase.
post #5065 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:

Completely understandable but In a 12x13 room I don't think a 65" would be sufficient just do to lack of distance and that dimension is not that big.
I watch a 80" from 10FT and love it, so your room in my eyes is not to small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

I truly hope that comment was in jest, and not serious....
+1 , I know I have better things to do in my day than judge people.....
post #5066 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

If you can wait until Jan 2014 you will probably be able to get a VT60 for ~$1500. ZTs will probably be around $2200. These are 60" estimates.
Pretty sweet prices if your guess is accurate. I agree with the other posters that the ZT will likely not be carried over into 2014.
post #5067 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've been following the end of year pricing on the 65" VT since the "20" series (2010). It's typically around $2400 every year at the end.

post #5068 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimolaoha View Post

HOW DO I AUDITION THE CNET SETTINGS WITHOUT PERMANENTLY CHANGING THE PRESET SETTINGS?

So I'm pretty happy with THX Cinema on my 65VT60, but want to check out the CNET settings as a comparison.

I see that the 'canned' preset settings are Vivid, Standard, Home Theater, THX (Cinema and Bight Room), Cinema, Custom, and Professional 1/2. I've had the set on THX Cinema since initial setup almost two months ago, and haven't really navigated through or fooled around with any of the other settings, so I'm not too familiar with the landscape.

Stupid question, but which of these do I use to enter and audition the CNET settings, and how? I don't really want to alter any of the preset settings, so assume I'd use either Custom or perhaps Professional 1/2? Not sure what's in those settings now, but perhaps Custom is specifically included here for such user defined settings?

Would appreciate a little detail on how to get into the correct modifiable area?

Thanks!
Just use their "Cinema" setting as posted. View them as long as you like. Use the "reset" to put your set back to factory. I've been using the setting and love it. But I'm waiting for dnice to post his VT60 setting.
post #5069 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I've been following the end of year pricing on the 65" VT since the "20" series (2010). It's typically around $2400 every year at the end.
FWIW This is the first (and possibly only) year of the ZT. If they come down hard on the ZT to get rid of them it will probably trickle down to the VT. If they make the ZT nearly the same price as the VT everyone will buy the ZT.
Purely speculation on my part.

post #5070 of 14926 Old 09-26-2013, 09:17 PM

I'm guessing the VT60 will be around for a while?! I feel like last year the production stopped quickly on the 50 series. Hopefully they don't sell like hot cakes
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page