Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 178 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5311 of 15002 Old 10-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mridan View Post

I'm having a tcp65vt60 delivered this weekend. I have an older model 720p Panasonic plasma. My question is what hertz should I select for 24p viewing, so I don't get any juddering or screen flashing. CNet suggested 96hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkultra View Post

There is no unwanted side effects of using 96Hz on the VT60 so that is what I would recommend as well (I use this setting myself). Using 60Hz the TV would have to use a 3:2 pulldown process. 48Hz is just unwatchable due to flicker.
Quote:

There is no unwanted side effects of using 96Hz on the VT60 so that is what I would recommend as well (I use this setting myself). Using 60Hz the TV would have to use a 3:2 pulldown process. 48Hz is just unwatchable due to flicker.

Thank you! One more question, 24p is just for Blu ray, not broadcast(satellite/cable) viewing correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 15002 Old 10-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridan View Post

I'm having a tcp65vt60 delivered this weekend. I have an older model 720p Panasonic plasma. My question is what hertz should I select for 24p viewing, so I don't get any juddering or screen flashing. CNet suggested 96hz.

Quote:

[quote name="Bkultra" url="/t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-vt65-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/5280#post_

Thank you! One more question, 24p is just for Blu ray, not broadcast(satellite/cable) viewing correct?
post #5313 of 15002 Old 10-08-2013, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
sorry about that. dark vertical lines and blotches on the right side of the screen and extreme image retention after viewing content for about 30 minutes of static images.
post #5314 of 15002 Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Thank you! One more question, 24p is just for Blu ray, not broadcast(satellite/cable) viewing correct?[/quote]Correct.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #5315 of 15002 Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomestar View Post

sorry about that. dark vertical lines and blotches on the right side of the screen and extreme image retention after viewing content for about 30 minutes of static images.

sure..i get that..but, the more the panel age's the less IR I get

60VT60 3D
DENON AVR-1611
DEFINITIVE SC 2000
DEFINITIVE PC 2000
KEF HTS2001.3
ASUS G73JH
PS3 SLIM
For Sale: Samasung DLP HLT6176S
post #5316 of 15002 Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 PM

Liked: 11
anybody notice the New firmware update 2.864. went to watch Netflix and it gave a msg saying to install update 2.864...can't find any info about it...
Paul Robins likes this.

60VT60 3D
DENON AVR-1611
DEFINITIVE SC 2000
DEFINITIVE PC 2000
KEF HTS2001.3
ASUS G73JH
PS3 SLIM
For Sale: Samasung DLP HLT6176S
post #5317 of 15002 Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think others have had those issues but probably not all three. Good luck with your replacement.

post #5318 of 15002 Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 PM

The vertical lines to RH edge of the screen is normal, mine has it but quite faint, and has maybee lessened as the panel has reached 300hrs, to the point that I never notice it now.
every Panasonic VT60 will have it to some degree, its something to do with the manufacturing process. How bad yours is will determine whether to bother with replacement.
post #5319 of 15002 Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, I'm over 300 hours and the lines have darkened and there are now some on the left side near the center of the screen. I guess my point is for a tv that costs over $2000 dollars the screen should be flawless. The IR though is unacceptable. It should go away within a few minutes of watching a program for an hour but it lasts for 6 to 8 hours after viewing. I can understand if the static image was there for 8 hours but for only being there for hour with commercials in between should not happen. I just hate to zoom in with all the programing I watch.
post #5320 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
There is no flawless screen sadly (or if there is, I haven't found it). For instance, I invariably always find something to bemoan about whether it be a dead/stuck/lazy pixel or DSE (dirty screen effect), even with sets that are $3k or 4k. wink.gif
post #5321 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Well, I'm over 300 hours and the lines have darkened and there are now some on the left side near the center of the screen. I guess my point is for a tv that costs over $2000 dollars the screen should be flawless. The IR though is unacceptable. It should go away within a few minutes of watching a program for an hour but it lasts for 6 to 8 hours after viewing. I can understand if the static image was there for 8 hours but for only being there for hour with commercials in between should not happen. I just hate to zoom in with all the programing I watch.
The IR is the most irritating of all.
Someone posted a picture of IR from a game he played for just two hours, two weeks ago.

Two weeks later and still clearly visible? That's terrible for a VT60.
post #5322 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 AM

Liked: 14
So...I had the fan fix done by some third party service reps and it seems to have quieted the fans some. While they were in there they tightened all of the screws and now it seems that the buzzing is more audible at times (10 feet away) on bright screens. Panel seems great, but I've considered exchanging due to the buzz. Is this normal or what would you suggest?
post #5323 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallow View Post

The IR is the most irritating of all.
Someone posted a picture of IR from a game he played for just two hours, two weeks ago.

Two weeks later and still clearly visible? That's terrible for a VT60.

Yet another useful post from a non-owner commenting on a picture posted by someone a few weeks ago and now IR is abound and unacceptable. News flash buddy, it happens but for nearly all of us as the panel ages it becomes a non factor and for most of us it hasn't been an issue - me. Go back to posting on the Sony LED threads, seriously why do people post comments about problems with a display that they don't own, yet leave that out or the fact that they recommend a completely different tech. I understand those posting suggestions and other helpful advice based on owning similar displays, that is always helpful. I am not going to post fud on the 8500 thread about it buzzing - I don't own one so its not my place. It seems like more posts on this thread are from non-owners trying to bring up issues that have been addressed over-and-over since the VT/ZT was available for purchase. These posts are not helping those who are trying to decide what display to buy.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
post #5324 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 06:51 AM

Okay, I'm still struggling to figure out how to use the 3D on my TV.

Here's what I'm doing.

Holding the power button on my 3D glasses and putting the glasses about 1ft from the TV to sync up. I've got no clue how I'd know if they're syncd or not but when the shutters move I'm assuming that's how I know.

I then turn my PS3 on and enter Uncharted 3 which displays in 3D. I get into the game and press the 3D button on my TV remote and toggle up to 3D instead of 2D.

At first the image looks weird but then the glasses do something and I can see the image.

However nothing is popping out or providing a 3D feel like you would in a movie theater.

So am I missing something? I try altering the 3D effect in the menu but most of the menus are greyed out.

I'm at a loss at this point. Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

The manual for this TV is a joke and doesn't cover anything really and googling anything about this TV just results in reviews and that's it.
post #5325 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacedDuck View Post

Here's what I'm doing.

Holding the power button on my 3D glasses and putting the glasses about 1ft from the TV to sync up. I've got no clue how I'd know if they're syncd or not but when the shutters move I'm assuming that's how I know.

I then turn my PS3 on and enter Uncharted 3 which displays in 3D. I get into the game and press the 3D button on my TV remote and toggle up to 3D instead of 2D.

At first the image looks weird but then the glasses do something and I can see the image.

However nothing is popping out or providing a 3D feel like you would in a movie theater.

So am I missing something? I try altering the 3D effect in the menu but most of the menus are greyed out.

The manual for this TV is a joke and doesn't cover anything really and googling anything about this TV just results in reviews and that's it.

It sounds like you're using the TVs 2D to 3D conversion, which has almost no real 3D effects. Did you go into the game settings and change it to 3D?

Do you have a 3D BR you could try? Or even a 3D channel on DirecTV?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #5326 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 AM

So hitting the 3D button at the top of the remote doesn't do it?

As far as I can tell the PS3 doesn't have a 3D mode you turn on and off.

It automatically turns on when you enable 3D on your TV because the image is all messed up when I push the 3D button on my TV.

It's so weird, I thought it was a lot easier than this haha.
post #5327 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 401
I suspect Jconjason is right. The fact that you couldn't adjust the 3d effect after you had hit the 3D button and moved into 3d mode on the TV signals to me that you were in the Tv's 2D->3D mode because while in that mode the '3D effect' portion of the menu would remain grayed out.
post #5328 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:

Here's what I'm doing.

I've run into some weird issues at times getting 3D properly activated on my VT60.

I would suggest letting the PS3 send the 3D signal first, then turn TV so that it receives the signal, then activate the glasses. I am not sure if this is still the ideal way to do it, but it has worked better for me in this order.

post #5329 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I've run into some weird issues at times getting 3D properly activated on my VT60.

I would suggest letting the PS3 send the 3D signal first, then turn TV so that it receives the signal, then activate the glasses. I am not sure if this is still the ideal way to do it, but it has worked better for me in this order.

So do you need to turn the 3D effect on within the PS3 somewhere? If so where?

I checked both the Display options menu on the dashboard of the PS3 and the system settings and didn't see it.
post #5330 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 AM

Nevermind, this seems extremely helpful and I'll have to try it tonight

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2125/~/configuring-playstation-3-for-3d-output

Now I just need to figure out how to get my Boxee Box working also in 3D.
post #5331 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRonnie7 View Post

So...I had the fan fix done by some third party service reps and it seems to have quieted the fans some. While they were in there they tightened all of the screws and now it seems that the buzzing is more audible at times (10 feet away) on bright screens. Panel seems great, but I've considered exchanging due to the buzz. Is this normal or what would you suggest?
If the buzzing bothers you, exchange it.

post #5332 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I checked both the Display options menu on the dashboard of the PS3 and the system settings and didn't see it.

I don't own a PS3, so not sure. I would think just putting in a 3D disc will automatically activate the PS3 to then send a 3D signal (at least that is how my Oppo does it). If it's not doing that, I would guess there is an "auto" setting in the 3D settings of the PS3 that is not turned on. Once turned on, it should automatically detect a 3D disc and send that signal to your TV.

post #5333 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Seriously considering getting a 65VT60 to replace last year's 65ST50.

Some background of my Panasonic 65ST50:

Even though it was one of the most lauded sets of 2012, it has some severe shortcomings which were never pointed out in the majority of reviews. The set does some bizarre scaling and de-interlacing in any TV content. You can see this in noisy 720 and 1080i/p images where it gets confused and posterizes too much and you lose facial details. This results in a loss of resolution with the internal processor. For a long time and before I started my research and figured this out, I always thought that it was something I did/ set incorrectly as blu ray discs always looked really good. I finally had it ISF calibrated by D-Nice a couple of months ago which is when I finally woke up and realized that this wasn't the case. I started doing the research which is when I came upon the terms scaling, de-interlacing and overall video processing then for the first time. I'm still learning. I just want to stop running back to the other room whenever I watch OTA content and somehow make this tolerable. Here's an example:

when watching OTA broadcast material the picture looks good in one instance (like say inside the newsroom) and absolutely unwatchable the next (say when they go to a pre-recorded segment or to a newscaster out in the field). It is a jarring experience. My 3 year old bedroom Sammy plasma trounces it in every way and it's not even close. It's not an overly compressed feed issue or anything like that. I've seen 720p sets that look better. This shows the overall lackluster video processing and by all accounts is due to the fact that Panasonic went with their own internally developed video processor recently which they are still refining and working on. I've heard they're much better on this year's sets.

Are you guys truly enjoying watching cable/ OTA channels on your VT60s without the need for any external video processor? If you've owned last year's sets (VT50, GT50 or ST50) can you say that the VT60 is much better in this regard? I know Samsungs overall video processor is much better than Panny's but I wonder if Panasonic has closed the gap a little bit this year.
post #5334 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Seriously considering getting a 65VT60 to replace last year's 65ST50.

Some background of my Panasonic 65ST50:

Even though it was one of the most lauded sets of 2012, it has some severe shortcomings which were never pointed out in the majority of reviews. The set does some bizarre scaling and de-interlacing in any TV content. You can see this in noisy 720 and 1080i/p images where it gets confused and posterizes too much and you lose facial details. This results in a loss of resolution with the internal processor. For a long time and before I started my research and figured this out, I always thought that it was something I did/ set incorrectly as blu ray discs always looked really good. I finally had it ISF calibrated by D-Nice a couple of months ago which is when I finally woke up and realized that this wasn't the case. I started doing the research which is when I came upon the terms scaling, de-interlacing and overall video processing then for the first time. I'm still learning. I just want to stop running back to the other room whenever I watch OTA content and somehow make this tolerable. Here's an example:

when watching OTA broadcast material the picture looks good in one instance (like say inside the newsroom) and absolutely unwatchable the next (say when they go to a pre-recorded segment or to a newscaster out in the field). It is a jarring experience. My 3 year old bedroom Sammy plasma trounces it in every way and it's not even close. It's not an overly compressed feed issue or anything like that. I've seen 720p sets that look better. This shows the overall lackluster video processing and by all accounts is due to the fact that Panasonic went with their own internally developed video processor recently which they are still refining and working on. I've heard they're much better on this year's sets.

Are you guys truly enjoying watching cable/ OTA channels on your VT60s without the need for any external video processor? If you've owned last year's sets (VT50, GT50 or ST50) can you say that the VT60 is much better in this regard? I know Samsungs overall video processor is much better than Panny's but I wonder if Panasonic has closed the gap a little bit this year.

The video processing seems rather good on the VT60. I even A/B'd 720p and 1080i cable sources to my Oppo 103 there was very, very little if any difference.

post #5335 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 PM

On page 82 of this thread there's talk of D nice releasing his picture settings. I'm now on page 92, can someone provide a link to d nice's picture settings?
post #5336 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
They were never shared.
post #5337 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

They were never shared.
+1

post #5338 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

So hitting the 3D button at the top of the remote doesn't do it?

As far as I can tell the PS3 doesn't have a 3D mode you turn on and off.

It automatically turns on when you enable 3D on your TV because the image is all messed up when I push the 3D button on my TV.

It's so weird, I thought it was a lot easier than this haha.

I have Gran Turismo 5, also a 3D capable game. You have to load up the game, go into the game settings and select the 3D option, once you activate that, the TV will detect and instruct you to hit the 3D button. Then you'll be in true 3D for your game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #5339 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:

The 3D games I've played on the PS3 will ask you after they boot (if they detect you have a 3D TV) if you want 2D or 3D. You don't have to look for the option. I have not played GT5 yet in 3D.
post #5340 of 15002 Old 10-09-2013, 01:33 PM

Does anyone find the right light annoying while watching in a dark room? If so, is my only option a piece of black tape...

Panasonic 65VT60
Paradigm Studio 60
Paradim Studio CC590
Paradigm SR-15
Integra DTR 40.2
HSU VTF-15H
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page