Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 19 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Some say even more wink.gifbiggrin.gif depends really on the set......

I think people get hung up on all these things here and tend to forget to watch the TV and enjoy it. You dont "need" to run slides unless you plan on following D-Nice instructions to the T. Heck there are many who break in thier TVs by not doing anything but watching TV as they normally would....
If you have run the d-nice instructions, where are they and was it worth the effort? Can the results be measures against one display that did not follow the instructions. (And perhaps the most subjective question of all) how do you know it was worth it ? I almost feel like I'm bordering on paranoia to break in the plasma display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin M Fletche View Post

If you have run the d-nice instructions, where are they and was it worth the effort? Can the results be measures against one display that did not follow the instructions. (And perhaps the most subjective question of all) how do you know it was worth it ? I almost feel like I'm bordering on paranoia to break in the plasma display.

You are thinking way to hard about it. The closest way to get the results D-Nice attained with the settings he posted is to follow his instructions to a T. If you dont, the settings may look good, but dont expect the same resutls. There is panel variance so the only real way to get your set accurate is either having a pro calibrator or buying ameter and calibrating yourself...The method posted is to take as much "variable" out of it as possible without actually getting your set claibrated with a meter.....

How do you know its worth it? take a look at your TV before and after settings have been imputed.....If you like the setitngs it was worth it, if you dont then maybe it wasnt. The settigns are free of charge and more often than not a rare thing to get. you dont have to follow any particualr method as Ive said before, you do what you feel you need\want to wink.gif
post #543 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

You are thinking way to hard about it. The closest way to get the results D-Nice attained with the settings he posted is to follow his instructions to a T. If you dont, the settings may look good, but dont expect the same resutls. There is panel variance so the only real way to get your set accurate is either having a pro calibrator or buying ameter and calibrating yourself...The method posted is to take as much "variable" out of it as possible without actually getting your set claibrated with a meter.....

How do you know its worth it? take a look at your TV before and after settings have been imputed.....If you like the setitngs it was worth it, if you dont then maybe it wasnt. The settigns are free of charge and more often than not a rare thing to get. you dont have to follow any particualr method as Ive said before, you do what you feel you need\want to wink.gif
How does one supposed to follow his instructions for a VT if the settings aren't even posted and most likely wont be for months just like last year.
post #544 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xitman View Post

How does one supposed to follow his instructions for a VT if the settings aren't even posted and most likely wont be for months just like last year.

Once you run the slides you can wait as the set has been "prepped"...There is no way to really do it however since you bought the TV early, just "one of thsoe things" youll have to live with wink.gif ......There are plenty of setitngs to try as well as calibration hardware and software to try out or hire a pro and get better settings than you ever could off the internet....
post #545 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin M Fletche View Post

All I can say is that I have owned about 6 plasmas over the last 10 years or so, and each one of them is still running. They look just as good today, as they did after the slides. I ran prep slides on each of these, and think they do help. 100 hours is nothing, its just a few days running 24hrs a day. I highly recommend these slides.
post #546 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 PM

So for the break in period just normal tv watching is not acceptable?
post #547 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM

Got to get this thing going in time for the Mayweather fight on Saturday. I get the tv Thursday.
post #548 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 PM

Just checked CNet and they said to just avoid abnormal use for first 100 hours and wait 200 before calibration. Does that sound about right?
post #549 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 892
post #550 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1400 View Post

Just checked CNet and they said to just avoid abnormal use for first 100 hours and wait 200 before calibration. Does that sound about right?
That's what I read as well, but there seems to be an old school of thought, that running solid color slides through the display for 100 hours during a break-in period is the way to go. But it all seems to originate from a few suggestions on some web forums.
Panasonic support, did not indicate anything different than the CNet article provided, other than its best to use the Cinema setting during break in. If running slides for the break-in period unequivocally resulted in better PQ and potentially reduced wear issues it would seem that manufacturers of these plasma displays would substantiate such a break-in theory. But alas here I type this, and in the room next to me the VT60 is going through the "break-in slides". I'll probably run then for a bit longer, but not for 100 hours. I think it's helpful to see the display light up with the different colors in a uniform fashion, it reveals whether there are any obvious defects. I'm an engineer and I appreciate good engineering, but the break-in slides theory just seem like some type of pipe dream.
post #551 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
" I think it's helpful to see the display light up with the different colors in a uniform fashion, it reveals whether there are any obvious defects. I'm an engineer and I appreciate good engineering, but the break-in slides theory just seem like some type of pipe dream."

Second that notion from a mech engineer, I see the theory but if this was really the beneficial move some claim then I'd think that this would be implemented post production in a qc manner. That's the way my company works, the only way to get the general public to do something is to either force it or do it for them.
post #552 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl13 View Post

" I think it's helpful to see the display light up with the different colors in a uniform fashion, it reveals whether there are any obvious defects. I'm an engineer and I appreciate good engineering, but the break-in slides theory just seem like some type of pipe dream."

Second that notion from a mech engineer, I see the theory but if this was really the beneficial move some claim then I'd think that this would be implemented post production in a qc manner. That's the way my company works, the only way to get the general public to do something is to either force it or do it for them.

Sighhhh I ahve seen a few poeple "quesiton" the method. but there is a sound theory and science behind WHY the slides are ran....If you dont want to run D-Nices settings then normal varied content is OK, this advice has never changed. Some people sjut choose to run the slides rather than run content thats thier choice....Its not jsut to see the set run colors to see if your set is uniform...Really however this subject is OT, if you really want to get into the nitty gritty of it I suggest starting a thread in the Display Calibration section of the forum so that they can teach you about the why its recommended to vary your content for the first few hundred hours......

The slides are made for DNices calibration and his calibration settings only, many other calibrators will just have you age the set 1-200+ hours watching vaired content.......The slides set a median so that you can get close as possible results without actually paying DNice to come out and calibrate your set. Its removing as many variables as possible to get simillar results...The more vairables you take out the closer you will be to the results he attains outside of panel variance......
post #553 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 PM

Ill just run some normal content on my guy and avoid any long gaming sessions for the first 200 hours. Baby it a little.
post #554 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ill just run some normal content on my guy and avoid any long gaming sessions for the first 200 hours. Baby it a little.

As long as you do varied content you should be good, enjoy the fight on your new set smile.gif
post #555 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 1252
last plasma I bought I ran the slides at night and watched full screen tv during the day for the first week or so. I didn't think the slides were necessary, so I didn't want to go a full 4 days without using it, but I figured running them at night to help speed up the break in process couldn't hurt.

did a quick calibration before, basically just making sure it wasn't cranked up to the brightest settings. and then did the normal self calibration afterwards. I've had the TV for several years now without any problems. my plan is to probably do the same with whatever tv I end up buying this year too. I use the display as my computer monitor as well, so I definitely like the idea of speeding up the break in process, as that is one activity I actually will avoid for the first week at least.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #556 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 PM

Thanks ph8te.

I'm a little nervous with this being my first plasma and all. Not sure how its going to do at my altitude (5600, even though Panny says rated at 7200 ft) or with any of the other plasma "drawbacks". I may have done too much reading online and got too caught up in the hoobla. Its strange, in my local Best Buy half of the Plasma's buzzed and the other half didn't. Not sure what that indicates.
Everyone I spoke to liked the plasma's over LED's and thought there was nothing lost in going this route, only gain. I have a 60 day return period and a 4 year warranty through BB so I should be covered against any tech issues. Its just a big investment.
post #557 of 16026 Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 PM

Buzzing was one reason I didn't even consider the Samsung F8500. At two different Best Buy's the Samsung Plasma's buzzed very loudly. The Panasonic's for the most part you couldn't hear unless you placed your ear against the set. It was my understanding that even at 5600 feet if I can hear the buzzing at normal tv watching ranges there is an issue with the set and it would be covered under a warranty.

As highly recommended as the Plasma's came from the BB sales guys (seemed like good guys) you wouldn't think there is an issue at our altitude or they would have a lot of returns/complaints.
post #558 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 AM

Liked: 17
I've had plasmas for about 7 years, and have gotten in the habit of setting my Panasonics shut down timer for 60 minutes, and for that 60 minutes before the TV shuts itself down it ran the full screen slides I downloaded from AVS. By doing this I've been able to run some crazy gaming session, and watch tons of movies with NO burn in issues.

The one I didn't do this with has burn in issues.

Some may find this a bit overboard, but it comes down to a measly 7 extra hours a week, but a lifetime of safety.

As an example once my PZ850U hit 2000 hrs. my son to my horror left the set on for 6 hours with a movie menu burned into the screen, one hour of running the slides completely wiped the screen clean.

Again, some may find my procedure too be completely overboard, but its what's worked for me.

Enjoy your set TarHeel.
post #559 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by monk2580 View Post

I also ordered a VT60 from East Coast TVs on 4/24.
Looking forward to getting the TV this Friday. I will post when I get it, hopefully with no issues.

Another first-post user touting east-coast tvs...

Seems weird that all the recent east-coast tv posters have

1) come from new accounts
2) sound like they were written by the same user (alot of thier reseller-ratings reviews also sound the same)
3) all sound positively thrilled that they were forced to purchase an extended warranty

Why anyone would purchase from such a shady vendor is beyond me (check BBB...33 complaints). Cleveland will sell it cheaper, and wont force extended warranties.

AVSForum admins should remove the filter on V - E, and filter out east-coast TV instead.
post #560 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Peake View Post

2) sound like they were written by the same user (alot of thier reseller-ratings reviews also sound the same)
3) all sound positively thrilled that they were forced to purchase an extended warranty

Why anyone would purchase from such a shady vendor is beyond me (check BBB...33 complaints). Cleveland will sell it cheaper, and wont force extended warranties.

AVSForum admins should remove the filter on V - E, and filter out east-coast TV instead.

I agree and very suspicious, that place is definitely a bait and switch retailer.

64F8500
55ST60
Harmony 650
Sony XT1 Soundbase
OPPO 103d
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
post #561 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Purchased the IMAX Under the Sea 3D bluray ($16.99 at BB right now, though it's marked as 39.99) last night, played it through my PS3 and it was crystal clear with tons of depth. I didn't buy for the 3D aspect, but I was definitely curious, and now I'm impressed.

Not sure what crosstalk is??? But the image was intense and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, well, other than fish swimming right in my living room.

Boom
post #562 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 892
LOL, I was thinking the same thing Jeff and Chunon.

--On amazon, I have screen shots that prove from one particular vender that they had 9 negatives removed over a 3 week period. I am still in shock.

BBB is the best place to check, no spoofing there .............
pred1973 likes this.
post #563 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Peake View Post

I am one of those "new users" and one who bought from that online retailer (e-Tailer) and if I could have gotten a better deal with Cleveland, I would have happily purchased from them (I did not however know about CP until after I made the purchase.) All in all, I'm glad I got the set and it's fine, but I would not recommend that ectvs because of the sales tactics they used, but I cannot state that they are bait and switch, because I got what I ordered and paid for. I was not trying to open up the topic of peoples intelligence being insulted, or to promote a company, rather I was just stating some comments, while I was waiting for my VT60.
xitman likes this.
post #564 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM

Robby,

So your saying after watching content/playing games you run slides for an hour and the tv shuts itself down after the 60 minues?

I'll have to figure out that setting (shouldn't be too difficult).

Lets say I wanted to go with the slides after watching content at least during the break in period. Where do I get the recommended slides that everyone uses/likes??? How do I upload them to the tv? A usb?

Thanks!!!!!
post #565 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Robby,

So your saying after watching content/playing games you run slides for an hour and the tv shuts itself down after the 60 minues?

I'll have to figure out that setting (shouldn't be too difficult).

Lets say I wanted to go with the slides after watching content at least during the break in period. Where do I get the recommended slides that everyone uses/likes??? How do I upload them to the tv? A usb?

Thanks!!!!!

This is the thread wiith the slides:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread

Load them up to a usb plug it in and you can run them this way. I believe you may also ahve to change the mode to "Phto" but I am not 100% on that part.....
post #566 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 AM

Thank you Ph8te.

From just perusing some of the posts on your link It mentions several times its to be used for Dnice's settings.

Best Buy is offering me a free professional calibration. I'm planning on taking advantage of that. If I run the slides for 15-20 minutes after watching normal content is that still appropriate or is it more or less a waste of time?
post #567 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 AM

Oh,

I wanted to thank you guys for your patience and help with all this.

I'm new to Plasma's and I just want to be sure I baby and do right by my new 2400 dollar toy.
post #568 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you Ph8te.

From just perusing some of the posts on your link It mentions several times its to be used for Dnice's settings.

Best Buy is offering me a free professional calibration. I'm planning on taking advantage of that. If I run the slides for 15-20 minutes after watching normal content is that still appropriate or is it more or less a waste of time?

Personally I wouldnt use Best Buy for calibration, too many "bad" stories. Ive seen good reports and Ive seen bad ones, personally I would choose a pro calibrator

You dont need to run the slides its just something people choose to do evenly age the phosphers during the "break in" period..... Unless you are planning to use DNices settings and wwant simillar results there is really no "need" to run the slides themselves, if you want to thats OK, just dont feel obligated to. What many people do is run teh slides at night when they are not watching TV to help get to the 100-200 hour mark that is usually the inital break in period of most sets more quickly......

You can also just watch a varitey of programming and that will be OK as well.
post #569 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 820
i'll bet dnice's blanket settings beat best buy's calibration and will do so even without the break in wink.gif
post #570 of 16026 Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 AM

Liked: 38
Imo, and i know D-nice does the shoot out and everyone is waiting on it and results. i talk to Robert Z Dailey and him and his people doing the shootout all say to do slides..so it seems funny people say not to or do not have to..so why do they for the shootout..And recommend to there customers...obvious they talk to Sammy,panny,Lg etc eng and so on....imo is all....

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread