Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 193 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

au-734's Avatar au-734
04:16 PM Liked: 10
post #5761 of 15644
10-22-2013 | Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstkb View Post

Please Help!!!

I just got my 2nd P65VT60. The screen on the first one would just shut itself off after 30 seconds so I took it and exchanged it at Best Buy for another.

Now on my new VT60 I've noticed that the furthest right column of pixels is tinted greenish. I have to get within a few feet of the screen to notice but it is definitely there and knowing it's there on my expensive purchase is driving me insane.

Does anyone know what this is? Is this on all of the panels? Has anyone else had the problem and how do you fix it? Am I seriously going to have to return a 2nd 65" TV to Best Buy to get one that was made correctly?

I've searched the forums and the web and have yet to hear a good explanation as to what's happening and if many other people are experiencing the issue. The TV is gorgeous, I'm just getting frustrated.

Please Help!!

Oh boy, you've got the dreaded green pixel effect. eek.gif You need to quit watching your tv immediately as it has caused blindness in lab rats. eek.gif And keep returning your set until you find one that does not exhibit this dreadful effect. eek.gif

More seriously, it's normal, and due to how the individual red, blue, and green pixels are arranged on the panel. If the blue pixel were last, you would see a blue line. smile.gif

And let me know which BB you use so I can pick up a few more open box VT60's for me tongue.gif

Cheers!
DavidHir's Avatar DavidHir
04:40 PM Liked: 466
post #5762 of 15644
10-22-2013 | Posts: 10,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjung View Post

ChadB did my VT60 and there was a difference although to me it wasn't a knock your socks off kind of thing. (We had been running the THX and I thought it was OK.) After calibration, it was more of a, hmmm, whites are actually white now and just a generally nicer picture. I would do it again.

He also did two older TV's that made a HUGE difference (a Pioneer HD-Elite and a Sony SXRD).

--David

I had been running THX Cinema on my VT60 and Chad's calibration made what I would call a very large improvement. Much better image afterward particularly with gamma and overall color.

I was not that impressed with THX although it was better than previous out-of-the-box settings from other displays I owned.
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97
06:51 PM Liked: 1011
post #5763 of 15644
10-22-2013 | Posts: 11,657
Since I was not disturbed by the OOB PQ of the ZT60 in relation to my previously calibrated 111FD that I have now sold, I'm in no rush to get it professionally calibrated (the other big reason being financial).
richlo's Avatar richlo
08:59 PM Liked: 11
post #5764 of 15644
10-22-2013 | Posts: 1,465
Quote:

ChadB did my VT60 and there was a difference although to me it wasn't a knock your socks off kind of thing. (We had been running the THX and I thought it was OK.) After calibration, it was more of a, hmmm, whites are actually white now and just a generally nicer picture. I would do it again.

He also did two older TV's that made a HUGE difference (a Pioneer HD-Elite and a Sony SXRD).

--David

thanks David - this validates everything I have been saying about this set as well as out of the box calibraiton reports.... yes, it can be improved upon but what makes it less noticeable than say your others is that the set is calibrated to Rec709 out of box, its hardly off and the color decoder is pretty spot on but some minor tweaking you can get perfection. Greyscale (whites to mention) can be improved on but the low end seems to be pretty close to accurate but with some fine tuning you get a flat response. One thing I would say that can be improved on is gamma which is all over the place.

your other sets where way off and a calibration would make it stand out much more.

I happen to have Calman 5 and my reports are awefully similar to what is being reported out of the box, most of it is fine tuning and subjective to the calibrator. Someone here said that I am wrong that it is ABOUT NUMBERS but not true - how Bright is up to discussion, what gamma works in your environment is also subjective, do you like a litle edge enhancements - maybe or maybe not.

Nevertheless you now know that you have your set calibrated by one of the best in the business and there is no second guessing.
Schwa's Avatar Schwa
09:45 PM Liked: 296
post #5765 of 15644
10-22-2013 | Posts: 2,058
Well crap, it looks like I'm going to have to exchange my 65VT60 after all. I thought I was seeing things when I noticed that the top left corner of the display seemed more blue than the rest of the screen, but I put up a white field and measured it with my colorimeter and there's more than a 400K color temperature difference between the top left of the display and the center of the display. This is even outside of Panasonic's specs per this 2009 document (see page 11 and I bet the limits are even more stringent these days.

It looks like I'll be calling Amazon first thing tomorrow...luckily I saved all of my packing materials!
SeLfMaDe111985's Avatar SeLfMaDe111985
07:34 AM Liked: 99
post #5766 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 1,305
Getting a lily tale antsy waiting for my VT60 to arrive. I know Pauls is pretty reputable (at least from I have read they are) but I have to call them today. The set is supposed to be here Friday(Estimated DD). But when I look up the tracking info it still says 10/18/13 "Resubmit Booking" and hasn't changed in days. I was told is be called a day or two prior to delivery to set up a time.. And I would have expected something in my email about it being shipped out. A little antsy but nervous too. Anyone else have a long wait from Pauls?
rageofgods's Avatar rageofgods
07:45 AM Liked: 10
post #5767 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 1

Hello guys. 

How can i actually enable 96hz mode for 24p content on my vt60 (European)?

I can't find option such this in the menu. 

DasRetroKid's Avatar DasRetroKid
07:50 AM Liked: 13
post #5768 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 83
Question about screen settings: Full Vs Just

When I set the screen to "Full", my TV passes the overscan test (I have overscan turned off) on the Disney WOW disc. I like the way it looks however is it just my imagination or does setting the screen to full add a tiny bit of black bars on the left and right hand sides of the image? When I switch it back to "Just" it seems to fill in this tiny bit of real estate space on the screen.

So, is it my imagination or is anyone else seeing this?
smurraybhm's Avatar smurraybhm
08:22 AM Liked: 575
post #5769 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo View Post

thanks David - this validates everything I have been saying about this set as well as out of the box calibraiton reports.... yes, it can be improved upon but what makes it less noticeable than say your others is that the set is calibrated to Rec709 out of box, its hardly off and the color decoder is pretty spot on but some minor tweaking you can get perfection. Greyscale (whites to mention) can be improved on but the low end seems to be pretty close to accurate but with some fine tuning you get a flat response. One thing I would say that can be improved on is gamma which is all over the place.

your other sets where way off and a calibration would make it stand out much more.

I happen to have Calman 5 and my reports are awefully similar to what is being reported out of the box, most of it is fine tuning and subjective to the calibrator. Someone here said that I am wrong that it is ABOUT NUMBERS but not true - how Bright is up to discussion, what gamma works in your environment is also subjective, do you like a litle edge enhancements - maybe or maybe not.

Nevertheless you now know that you have your set calibrated by one of the best in the business and there is no second guessing.

I would encourage you to look at the before and after calibration report for my VT before making a blanket statement about the out-of-box settings for this display. DNice worked on mine and his reports show the bad and great. I had some serious issues with green and red. I believe others have mentioned a green push with their displays out of box too. Of course as we've discussed in great detail every panel is different. THX Cinema has looked good for some, not so good for others. In my case the calibration made a significant difference. One other point, 3D needs a lot of work if that's something you watch.

In the end all that matters is that the person who is watching their set thinks the picture looks great smile.gif I am just glad I bought one before they disappear.
SnakeXs's Avatar SnakeXs
11:19 AM Liked: 10
post #5770 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 112
My 65" VT60 should be here early next week. Any recommendations on break in period and self calibration? Are there any big do/don't dos?
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007
11:30 AM Liked: 888
post #5771 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 12,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeXs View Post

My 65" VT60 should be here early next week. Any recommendations on break in period and self calibration? Are there any big do/don't dos?
Read the first 10 and last 10 pages here.
janick's Avatar janick
12:05 PM Liked: 10
post #5772 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 79
Could someone please tell me how long you do a screen swipe and how offen, I noticed the espn logo this morning. Also, is burn in still possible or just IR issues with today plasma's
thx
12:13 PM Liked: 888
post #5773 of 15644
Quote:
Originally Posted by janick View Post

Could someone please tell me how long you do a screen swipe and how offen, I noticed the espn logo this morning. Also, is burn in still possible or just IR issues with today plasma's
thx
Burn in is possible but unlikely. You would have to do something really wrong.
Run the screen wipe as often and as for as long as you like.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2
12:17 PM Liked: 192
post #5774 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 9,850
Can that be a scheduled task.. You know where the TV wakes itself at, say, 2 am and runs it for an hour each night then returns to standby?
12:39 PM Liked: 888
post #5775 of 15644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Can that be a scheduled task.. You know where the TV wakes itself at, say, 2 am and runs it for an hour each night then returns to standby?
Ive followed this forum from the beginning and havent heard of such a thing. Would be nice though.
bern43's Avatar bern43
01:07 PM Liked: 10
post #5776 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 41
Taking delivery of my 65" VT60 tomorrow. My understanding is that Best Buy delivery will unpackage it, install the stand, and help me put it on my TV stand? I'm planning on then turning it on and looking it over with a flashlight. Just curious what others experience has been with Best Buy delivery.
hockeynut's Avatar hockeynut
01:23 PM Liked: 11
post #5777 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 1,033
Guys, be real careful with these TVs. I had mine for about five months and was VERY careful with breaking it in. I ran slides for about the first 100 hours. After that, watched nothing but 1.78:1 movies and even some 2.35:1 but I zoomed in so there wasn't any bars.

So I would say I had about 400 hours put into the set.

I figured it would now be safe to play some videogames. I started playing Kindoms of Amalur. I was really into the game and over a 3-4 day period I logged about 30 hours. That's when I noticed burn in the upper left corner where the static life bar was! Needless to say, it made me sick.

Luckily I caought it before it got too bad. You can notice it when you look for it. But otherwise through normal viewing it's not too bad.

I realize this was partly my fault, but damn. I thought I took enough precautions that I would have been OK to do what I did.

So now, I no longer can play videogames on it and I'm scared to watch movies with the bars at the top and bottom.
bizwig's Avatar bizwig
01:31 PM Liked: 10
post #5778 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 72
I had a 60VT60 from Paul's that was supposed to be delivered tomorrow but the geniuses at the delivery company decided to only allocate one man to the task ("we don't work for the TV company"), which is obviously inadequate to safely move an item of that size and weight. They'll have to get another guy and reschedule the delivery. Argh!
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2
01:40 PM Liked: 192
post #5779 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 9,850
One guy showed up and you didn't just pitch in rather than wait another day?
bizwig's Avatar bizwig
01:56 PM Liked: 10
post #5780 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

One guy showed up and you didn't just pitch in rather than wait another day?
No, he called today to schedule tomorrow's delivery.
datap1mp's Avatar datap1mp
02:46 PM Liked: 18
post #5781 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post

Guys, be real careful with these TVs. I had mine for about five months and was VERY careful with breaking it in. I ran slides for about the first 100 hours. After that, watched nothing but 1.78:1 movies and even some 2.35:1 but I zoomed in so there wasn't any bars.

I figured it would now be safe to play some videogames. I started playing Kindoms of Amalur. I was really into the game and over a 3-4 day period I logged about 30 hours. That's when I noticed burn in the upper left corner where the static life bar was! Needless to say, it made me sick.

Luckily I caought it before it got too bad. You can notice it when you look for it. But otherwise through normal viewing it's not too bad.

I realize this was partly my fault, but damn. I thought I took enough precautions that I would have been OK to do what I did.

So now, I no longer can play videogames on it and I'm scared to watch movies with the bars at the top and bottom.

Have you run pixel wiper or anything else similar?
dmjung's Avatar dmjung
03:11 PM Liked: 10
post #5782 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

In the end all that matters is that the person who is watching their set thinks the picture looks great smile.gif

Yep. Between manufacturing differences, every TV and every set of eyeballs is different. smile.gif

My wife didn't notice any difference between THX ON OUR TV and after Chad's calibration until I pointed what I thought was an obvious improvement.

I thought the THX ON OUR SET with the sources I had used up to that point that the picture was good--good enough to watch and not be distracted by weirdness. The VT60 picture was good enough FOR US before calibration--it's better now FOR ME. Our HD-Elite picture was so wacked that I couldn't watch it, but my wife didn't care. It's part expectations and part education and part differences between eyeballs/TV's/environments/egos/preferences.

--David
sillysally's Avatar sillysally
03:20 PM Liked: 271
post #5783 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 3,773
Quote:

Yep. Between manufacturing differences, every TV and every set of eyeballs is different. smile.gif

My wife didn't notice any difference between THX ON OUR TV and after Chad's calibration until I pointed what I thought was an obvious improvement.

I thought the THX ON OUR SET with the sources I had used up to that point that the picture was good--good enough to watch and not be distracted by weirdness. The VT60 picture was good enough FOR US before calibration--it's better now FOR ME. Our HD-Elite picture was so wacked that I couldn't watch it, but my wife didn't care. It's part expectations and part education and part differences between eyeballs/TV's/environments/egos/preferences.

--David

You may want to ask Chad to come back and tweak (shouldn't be a charge), calibration isn't a exact art its more of a opinion on the calibrators part, at-least with a very good calibrator.
Getting nice looking charts and numbers still doesn't mean the display is at its best.

ss
SeLfMaDe111985's Avatar SeLfMaDe111985
03:34 PM Liked: 99
post #5784 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 1,305
Hey guys...anyone in here who ordered from Pauls recieve a bad or cracked set? Or did it take a while for them to deliver. The guy David I spoke with was very nice and spoke withe this afternoon after calling the delivery company to arrange a time. They were suppose to call me but never did. I called David back as he asked and he stated he would call which he did but told me they were closed but raised it to a supervisor area and he said they should contact me in the morning. But David seemed a little rushed to get off the phone so I just hope I'm not being scammed
sillysally's Avatar sillysally
03:54 PM Liked: 271
post #5785 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 3,773
Relax at this point there is no reason to think you are being scammed. He reported to you what was happening and probably had other calls waiting.
ss
Latinoheat's Avatar Latinoheat
04:29 PM Liked: 198
post #5786 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 1,955
Quote:

It's unfortunate what happened , but most people don't game for 7hrs straight for 3-4 days. I would just vary your content. Preventing watching letterbox movies won't change anything. I gamed on my plasma (GT50) since day one for about 3hrs here and there and have never had problems. Maybe if I gamed for 8hrs straight I would of.
Try that Wow pixel flipper some people use. Good luck.
chr0m's Avatar chr0m
05:35 PM Liked: 11
post #5787 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Burn in is possible but unlikely. You would have to do something really wrong.
Run the screen wipe as often and as for as long as you like.

After how long can you consider IR to be burn in?
I watched a 2.5 hour football match that had ad breaks every few minutes 6 days after buying the TV and 3 weeks later I can still see IR from the channel logo and scoreboard. I've run the screen wipe overnight several times, along with snow videos and it's still there. It's faint, but I can still see it if I look on pure white screens.

I didn't think watching a footy game was doing something seriously wrong smile.gif
chr0m's Avatar chr0m
05:38 PM Liked: 11
post #5788 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 35
Quote:

I have the same problem with Wind Waker HD on the Wii U. I didn't play it anywhere near as long as you played your game. Only played about an hour or 2 at a time. I can still see the IR after running screen wipe overnight a few times.
guvadc's Avatar guvadc
06:04 PM Liked: 62
post #5789 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 466
In regards to the discussion on IR, one thing you might want to consider is that the Pixel Orbiter really only works when overscan is set on. I know others have said that Orbiter doesn't do much, but it is one more thing to check.
AVKIK's Avatar AVKIK
08:08 PM Liked: 22
post #5790 of 15644
10-23-2013 | Posts: 280
Hi guys, well I have had my 65vt60 for six weeks now. My original impressions were not good. I thought the tv looked both dim and soft when I first got it. I literally thought there was some protective film over the screen. I still have two weeks to take the tv back. I must say that lately the tv has been looking much better to me. Not sure if its because its aging or my eyes are adapting to it. It will literally look amazing during one commercial and lousy the next. It looks almost 3D when its in 2D with blue ray. I determined it had to be source related. Lately I have been having a serious itch to go and take a good hard look at the Samsung f8500 (again) since I know it's brighter and lots of people say its sharper and more realistic than the vt60. Well, yesterday morning I had to go to magnolia bb to get it out of my system once and for all. I was prepared to spend the extra money on the samsung if need be. I was at that damn store for two hours messing with the vt60 and the samsung f8500 which were side by side. I set up the vt60 the same way I have it at home. I then messed around with many settings at different times on the samsung. For the life of me I could not get that samsung to look as good as the vt60. I even plugged in settings I've read online (cnet etc.). The colors on the vt60 had so much more saturation than the Sammy and the vt60 had more "pop" to it. The Sammy was brighter, but from what I saw it didn't seem a lot brighter (it did in dynamic mode, but the panny also gets brighter in vivid mode, both of which i don't like). I really don't think the samsung's brightness helped it at all and it might have made me see more dither on it compared to the vt60. Obviously the blacks were better on the panasonic. The vt60 was more realistic and it just seemed to suck you into the screen. At the end of the audition I was super excited because I paid $1100 less for my vt60 than I would have if I went with the samsung f8500. The whole experience made me see why many major pro reviewers consider the vt60 (and zt60) the best tv ever made (in controlled lighting). Im just so happy with my purchase now and my wife couldnt be happier now that she doesn't have to hear me complaining about the tv and how i should have gone with the samsung. Please remember these are only my opinions and the two sets were not pro calibrated. Btw, the only complaint I have now is the fans are a bit loud (my wife still has to hear about this complaint ;-)) when i have the volume down while my wife and baby girl are in bed. I even hear them with the volume is at 17. I just might have to get the fan fix done. Now I'm going back to watching my 65 inch VT60. Thanks guys.
Tags: Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Gear in this thread
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread