Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 196 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by writtensarcasm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeXs go_quote.gif

Yes, go to Amazon's Help -> Contact Us page. File down the options about your problem regarding an order, and then choose a contact option. Chat is usually quickest and most reliable, especially if you're gonna be showing a link. When you get a CS rep. show them the price and if it qualifies they can take it off the price right then and there, or send you an email valid for 48 hours which grants you a post-purchase discount.

Great thanks a lot for the info. Does anyone know if Amazon requires you to be there, open the box and then sign off that there is no damage like Paul'sTV requires for this set? I can't take off from work to accept delivery so that's why I didn't go through Paul'sTV (they told me it was mandatory white glove delivery). It looks like Amazon does not make it mandatory from what I can see.

Others have posted about being sure that you are there to inspect it. That's for your protection. History tells us that enough arrive damaged that you don't want to take a chance of having the doorman accept it for you and then you discover that it's shattered. After all, how would Amazon or the shipper know that you didn't drop it while trying to hang it on the wall, etc.

An option that you might want to consider is to have it delivered to someone that is at home that would take the time to examine it for cracks and plug it in. Another is for it to be held at the local shipping office and for you to go get it. Sure, it's a pain but a lot less of a pain over having a shattered screen and no way to prove that it was delivered that way.
Sammy2 likes this.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsimoth View Post

I have a 65VT50. During the day, in a light room, I don't really have a big problem with reflections. Right now I have ZT on order. But I am wondering if VT would be good enough in my situation for day viewing.hCWpp

In my limited time with my TC-P60VT60 I have not seen an issue with playback in a daylighted room but I also haven't calibrated it yet either.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Others have posted about being sure that you are there to inspect it. That's for your protection. History tells us that enough arrive damaged that you don't want to take a chance of having the doorman accept it for you and then you discover that it's shattered. After all, how would Amazon or the shipper know that you didn't drop it while trying to hang it on the wall, etc.

An option that you might want to consider is to have it delivered to someone that is at home that would take the time to examine it for cracks and plug it in. Another is for it to be held at the local shipping office and for you to go get it. Sure, it's a pain but a lot less of a pain over having a shattered screen and no way to prove that it was delivered that way.

Thanks. I actually bought it yesterday at Best Buy because it was on sale. They will deliver it to my apartment and leave it there and if there is any damage they will come back and pick it up for me.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

D-Nice himself posts that his settings are no substitute for a proper calibration (and they are not), they are meant to get your closer vs the factory picture modes on a good range of the model's builds.... this is based on D-Nice's actual calibration experience on these models, from being one of the busiest Calibrators working on them, many of them. If you want the best from your display model, get / have a proper calibration.
Numbers being way different wouldn't tell you much and in fact, many Enthusiasts, automated methods and even some Professionals make improper combination of control(s) adjustments, the charts look great but to those who actual know a reference display, something looks wrong while watching reference content. Why?

Here's some recent posts that nail this in regards to this.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496253/calibration-calman-5-d8000#post_23870525
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-vt65-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/5610#post_23848933
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-vt65-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/5760#post_23868647
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496253/calibration-calman-5-d8000#post_23871645
EDIT: Number = Numbers

Thanks for the detailed reply turbe. I replied here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread/1920#post_23874323

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
Old 10-25-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkultra View Post

D-nice just released his settings for the VT/ZT series. http://www.calibrationforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939

That merely points to the first page of a long thread. Is there a specific post one should look at?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

That merely points to the first page of a long thread. Is there a specific post one should look at?

Its the 3rd or 4th post.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Its the 3rd or 4th post.

Yeah, I saw that after I asked. Sorry to bug. I guess I need to sign up to get access to the zip file but I think I can handle this. I set up my Samsung many years ago and it looked great. I got a lot of compliments on it too. All that really matters is if it looks good to the end user and a select few others.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:

All that really matters is if it looks good to the end user and a select few others.
+1

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:00 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcannon0317 View Post

No, I got BB to price match Paul's price.

My P60VT60 was delivered by BB today. 2 guys with gloves unpacked, mounted on the stand and carried into the house while I watched. I went through the check list: Everything in the box, no damage, checked hours = 0, Mfg date Aug 2013, no fan or buzzing noise, etc. They were very patient as I hooked up my receiver HDMI out, network cable and optical cable. I turned on and got through setup menus. Then I took a peek at the picture using Pacific Rim Blu Ray disc and oh my goodness - I didn't want to turn it off! After 5 mins, I signed the papers and they were off. 20 mins max start to finish. Overall a great experience.

Disconnected everything and inserted the SD card with slides. It's T minus 100 hours and counting! I can't wait to enter DNice's new VT60 settings and watching some content for the next 200 hrs. Then having DNice calibrate. What I saw in that 5 mins OOTB far exceeded my expectations and any picture I saw in 3 different BB Magnolia rooms. I can't even begin to image how it will look when DNice does his magic!! T minus 99.5 hrs...
Sammy2 likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:05 PM

Are you gonna leave yours on non-stop in that break in period?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:10 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeXs View Post

Yes, I was told by others on this forum it's fine as long as it's in a well ventilated room. Mine is sitting on a coffee table in front of my fireplace. It will eventually go up over my fireplace after I remove the 51" sammy that's there now.
Sammy2 likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I'm getting mine on Monday but I'm worried about the slide show stopping in the middle of the night or while I'm at work and just sitting on the same color for 8-10 hours. Is this not a real possibility?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine has been on since about 6:30pm PDT Wednesday so about 36 hours now. It is not hot at all and the fans are barely audible. I have to admit that I snuck in some TV viewing last night though.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'm getting mine on Monday but I'm worried about the slide show stopping in the middle of the night or while I'm at work and just sitting on the same color for 8-10 hours. Is this not a real possibility?

If this happens something more serious is wrong with it.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:

If this happens something more serious is wrong with it.

It's good to know then that there slide show software is that good, to run 100 hours straight without any issues.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcannon0317 View Post

My P60VT60 was delivered by BB today. 2 guys with gloves unpacked, mounted on the stand and carried into the house while I watched. I went through the check list: Everything in the box, no damage, checked hours = 0, Mfg date Aug 2013, no fan or buzzing noise, etc. They were very patient as I hooked up my receiver HDMI out, network cable and optical cable. I turned on and got through setup menus. Then I took a peek at the picture using Pacific Rim Blu Ray disc and oh my goodness - I didn't want to turn it off! After 5 mins, I signed the papers and they were off. 20 mins max start to finish. Overall a great experience.

Disconnected everything and inserted the SD card with slides. It's T minus 100 hours and counting! I can't wait to enter DNice's new VT60 settings and watching some content for the next 200 hrs. Then having DNice calibrate. What I saw in that 5 mins OOTB far exceeded my expectations and any picture I saw in 3 different BB Magnolia rooms. I can't even begin to image how it will look when DNice does his magic!! T minus 99.5 hrs...

I don't see D-Nice's VT60 settings on Hi Def Junkies, do you have a link to them? I'm 6 hours of slides away from being able to set my new P55VT60. Thanks!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Only place I have seen them posted is the Control CAL forum

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 10-25-2013, 01:29 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental1 View Post

I don't see D-Nice's VT60 settings on Hi Def Junkies, do you have a link to them? I'm 6 hours of slides away from being able to set my new P55VT60. Thanks!

I see them, sorry about that.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:

It's good to know then that there slide show software is that good, to run 100 hours straight without any issues.
I probably went in the vicinity of 200 hours nonstop without a crash.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I probably went in the vicinity of 200 hours nonstop without a crash.

Does anyone know how long you should wait before playing video games on it? I've heard like 300 hours before but if I run the slides for 100 hours it'll take me months to hit another 200 hours on top of that. There is no way I can wait that long to play. For reference I play a lot of NHL14 and GTA V. GTA V has a static mini map while NHL does not have any static screen content (the scoreboard disappears every once and a while). I don't play for more than 2 hours at a time, and even that long is not typical for me. 

Old 10-25-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

Something isn't making sense to me, maybe somebody can explain it.

Every panel is different due to manufacturing variations, which is why calibration is needed in the first place. So what is the value in using some other panel's settings? If D-nice's settings are useful to people, won't other calibrators be upset that he is giving them away? For that matter, if the settings are useful, won't giving them away reduce his own business?

If they are not useful, why should anybody bother with them?

Comparing his settings to those posted on cnet shows they are considerably different. So why would either group of settings be better than the default? Or better than a constrained random set of values?

Can someone explain this to me?

Edit: Oops. Meant to post this in the 2013 Panasonic settings thread. Sorry for cross-contamination.

Ha ha...exactly! I get a kick out of the folks who go through the silly exercise of running the DNice slides for 100 hours, entering DNice's settings, and then assuming their TV is calibrated. News flash -- it isn't. Why not just watch the TV like normal (making sure to vary content and avoiding static images) for the first 100 hours, then get the TV calibrated?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 614
When you see a scatter plot think of all the points as panels with their variances - if the two points share the same spot then they will net the exact same settings when you correct them both. Dnice's settings are essentially a trend/regression line drawn through all the scatterpoints on that plot. Some points will benefit more than others, but overall most points will reap some benefits that will outway the inaccuracies. Now is that trend line going to be a 'pro calibration' or even close? Statistically, No. Apologies for the crude example.

also, as the panel ages its position on that graph will 'shift', with it shifting more in its early hours - which is why the 300hr breakin recommendation to ensure your calibration settings last you long (think at least 2 years)
Old 10-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Does anyone know how long you should wait before playing video games on it? I've heard like 300 hours before but if I run the slides for 100 hours it'll take me months to hit another 200 hours on top of that. There is no way I can wait that long to play. For reference I play a lot of NHL14 and GTA V. GTA V has a static mini map while NHL does not have any static screen content (the scoreboard disappears every once and a while). I don't play for more than 2 hours at a time, and even that long is not typical for me. 

This "breaking in" for color calibration has nothing to do with IR.
If you get IR at hour 1, you'll get it at hour 1,000.

2 hour sessions is more than fine.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Ha ha...exactly! I get a kick out of the folks who go through the silly exercise of running the DNice slides for 100 hours, entering DNice's settings, and then assuming their TV is calibrated. News flash -- it isn't.
Probably better than the factory defaults though. Besides, what am I going to watch instead for that 100 hours, 50 movies? Television would be better since it's new stuff weekly, but every station has static logos now (these fools think branding matters). You might as well keep your old TV for a while and let the new one sit running slides.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:15 PM

Liked: 11
I have another annoyance with this TV.
When watching TV using the built-in tuner and ARC through my AVR the audio seems out of sync, like the audio is behind the picture, this can't be fixed by adjusting the audio delay on the AVR because it's only for when the audio is ahead of the picture to compensate for input lag. It's as if the TV is introducing some sort of delay before it sends it to the receiver. I also notice lip sync issues when watching video files and youtube from my HTPC. I never had this issue with the same AVR on my old Samsung plasma.

Man I loved that Samsung plasma, shame it got the purple banding issue and Samsung wouldn't fix it, just gave me my money back. The Sammy didn't have loud fans, didn't have lip sync issues and certainly didn't have shocking IR like this set seems to frown.gif It was 3 years old too!

Maybe I just got a lemon because most of you seem to love it.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Why are you using ARC?

Go Source > HDMI > AVR > HDMI > TV and let the AVR grab the auido before it goes to the TV so you can get the best audio.

ARC will not return HD Audio over toslink.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 PM

Liked: 99
Hey guys I just got delivery of my brand new 60VT60!!! This thing is a beast!! Anyway delivery was smooth the guy was super nice. But I have an odd question. When he delivered the TV I expected to see it upright...but to my surprise it was laid on its side when he opened the back. Now If I remember correctly it should be upright for any delivery? But also when I went to Costco they had the s64's upright and the extras that couldn't fit on the pallet they laid on top on its side.

Is it different now? My KURO absolutely had to be upright for delivery. I hope the TV is okay. I powers it up, inspected every inch of it, called Pauls to make sure it was a new unit they checked serial numbers and other boxes to see how packaging comes, and I also checked the hours which said A0000-0000 which is zero hours. No use at all. Seems great. It's also a May2013 build which I was concerned about. Some slight damage to the outter part of the box but nothing major. I noted on form there was slight box damage but seemed normal and not major.

Should I be highly concerned about it being on its side
Old 10-25-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the glass shattered? Did you take a flashlight to it?

Does it work?

Have you run screen wipe? The slides?

Old 10-25-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No need to be concerned if theres nothing wrong with it.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Why are you using ARC?

Go Source > HDMI > AVR > HDMI > TV and let the AVR grab the auido before it goes to the TV so you can get the best audio.

ARC will not return HD Audio over toslink.
You are confused as to what ARC is. ARC will not return ANY audio over toslink. Those are two different things. You have to choose one or the other.
Your suggestion for letting the AVR "grab" the audio before going to the tv will not work when watching OTA which is what he mentioned he is having lag issues with. In that case the audio is originating from the tv.
I dont know what "HD Audio" is but I assume you mean 5.1. ARC will deliver 5.1 but it depends on the source and how things are hooked up.

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv