Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While I'm waiting for delivery and pacing the floor, I was wondering if there is an accessible timer on the TV-one showing hours of screen use like many phones have. Would assist in the break-in period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Full review will be up tonight or tomorrow, but wanted to pass along some findings so far.

Black level measured .00146 at 60Hz, and at 96 Hz it was too low for my meter to measure (presumably below .001 fL).

ABL behavior is more "conventional" (and limiting) than that of the Samsung F8500, at least in panel brightness mid.

Excellent 3D performance...

Been looking forward to this ... Thank you very much for all the hard work, Chad!
post #633 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl13 View Post

While I'm waiting for delivery and pacing the floor, I was wondering if there is an accessible timer on the TV-one showing hours of screen use like many phones have. Would assist in the break-in period.

Yes it can be accessed thru the service menu, pretty straight forward just search here on AVS and you find the procedure pretty quickly.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #634 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1906207 View Post

So I think I made a mistake (will explain in a moment) and bought a 65" Samsung F8500, although my original plan was VT60. The main reasons for this decision were a) much less concerns about IR on F8500 than VT60 (I don't want to worry all the time about it), and b) better brightness (for viewing in well-lit room) with less screen reflections. I don't care much about differences in their exterior, both F8500 and VT60 look good enough when turned off.

The "mistake" part was that I didn't realize how bad the vertical viewing angles are on F8500. TV is mounted at eye level for couch-sitting position (so vertically it's center is ~3.5 feet from the floor), and my normal viewing position is 6.5-7 feet away from TV. I start noticing shadows at upper or lower edges even if I just change sitting position (or lie on the couch instead of sit). If I just stand up, it becomes immediately apparent and pronounced even from these 6-7 feet, and from 4 feet away it becomes a total pain, completely unwatchable.

Questions for the VT60 owners (or maybe even those who had a chance to compare both sets), before I return F8500 and go for VT60:

1) Is there anything similar with vertical viewing angles on VT60? I know VT60 also has that "Louver filter" to fight lights reflections, but does it lead to the same kind of severe limitation on vertical viewing angles (i.e. unwatchable from 4 feet), or much less pronounced?

2) Is brightness on VT60 really enough to watch it in a well-lit room (i.e. one with large windows on a bright day, but with no direct sun)? I am not talking about LED type of bright, I understand that PDP is inherently less bright, but is it comfortably enough?

3) I see all the discussions about IR concerns on VT60, and I also see that most people just refer to their past experiences with Plasma sets (I had Pio 5070 myself until recently, and did have this problem, but it wasn't severe enough to bother me). All plasmas are not created equal, so VT60 may (or may not!) actually be more susceptible to IR than the sets you owned before, and previous experiences are of limited use.

So I just wanted to ask if owners of VT60 who already went beyond the break-in period noticed any degree of IR that would concern them?

I'm pretty sure my F8500 is going back to BestBuy (so happy they have at least 15 days of no-hassle returns), just want to make sure VT60 will not have the same vertical viewing problem, and the other 2 points will not be a deal-breaker.
The unbelievably limited vertical viewing angle issue of the F8500 was really what did it for me. I, too, returned mine and am now awaiting delivery of my VT60 (any minute now I'm hoping smile.gif). I was also quite concerned about QC issues as my F8500 either had or developed a faint horozontal line about 2" from the top. I generally think that Panasonic products have had better QC and reliability although I'm fully aware that even the finest products can occassionally delive a lemon. But the vertical viewing angle thing was, for me, a deal breaker. If you so much as shifted your seating position it was apparent. God forbid you got up from your couch. The screen almost went black. This was not just a defect of the one particular set, it's an inherent characteristic of the F8500. Shame on you Samsung!

I feel strongly both ways!
post #635 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:

So I think I made a mistake (will explain in a moment) and bought a 65" Samsung F8500, although my original plan was VT60. The main reasons for this decision were a) much less concerns about IR on F8500 than VT60 (I don't want to worry all the time about it), and b) better brightness (for viewing in well-lit room) with less screen reflections. I don't care much about differences in their exterior, both F8500 and VT60 look good enough when turned off.

The "mistake" part was that I didn't realize how bad the vertical viewing angles are on F8500. TV is mounted at eye level for couch-sitting position (so vertically it's center is ~3.5 feet from the floor), and my normal viewing position is 6.5-7 feet away from TV. I start noticing shadows at upper or lower edges even if I just change sitting position (or lie on the couch instead of sit). If I just stand up, it becomes immediately apparent and pronounced even from these 6-7 feet, and from 4 feet away it becomes a total pain, completely unwatchable.

Questions for the VT60 owners (or maybe even those who had a chance to compare both sets), before I return F8500 and go for VT60:

1) Is there anything similar with vertical viewing angles on VT60? I know VT60 also has that "Louver filter" to fight lights reflections, but does it lead to the same kind of severe limitation on vertical viewing angles (i.e. unwatchable from 4 feet), or much less pronounced?

2) Is brightness on VT60 really enough to watch it in a well-lit room (i.e. one with large windows on a bright day, but with no direct sun)? I am not talking about LED type of bright, I understand that PDP is inherently less bright, but is it comfortably enough?

3) I see all the discussions about IR concerns on VT60, and I also see that most people just refer to their past experiences with Plasma sets (I had Pio 5070 myself until recently, and did have this problem, but it wasn't severe enough to bother me). All plasmas are not created equal, so VT60 may (or may not!) actually be more susceptible to IR than the sets you owned before, and previous experiences are of limited use.

So I just wanted to ask if owners of VT60 who already went beyond the break-in period noticed any degree of IR that would concern them?

I'm pretty sure my F8500 is going back to BestBuy (so happy they have at least 15 days of no-hassle returns), just want to make sure VT60 will not have the same vertical viewing problem, and the other 2 points will not be a deal-breaker.

I've owned the 60VT60 for nearly two weeks. The viewing angle is fine. I can watch off-axis with very little loss of quality. I've had no issues viewing during the day. Yes, there are some reflections but can easily focus on the content.
post #636 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralSex View Post

The unbelievably limited vertical viewing angle issue of the F8500 was really what did it for me. I, too, returned mine and am now awaiting delivery of my VT60 (any minute now I'm hoping smile.gif). I was also quite concerned about QC issues as my F8500 either had or developed a faint horozontal line about 2" from the top. I generally think that Panasonic products have had better QC and reliability although I'm fully aware that even the finest products can occassionally delive a lemon. But the vertical viewing angle thing was, for me, a deal breaker. If you so much as shifted your seating position it was apparent. God forbid you got up from your couch. The screen almost went black. This was not just a defect of the one particular set, it's an inherent characteristic of the F8500. Shame on you Samsung!

That's disappointing, I'm with you the qc, buzzing and firmware issues have always steered me away from Samsung. The initial reports seem to confirm that those along with brightness pops are still issues.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #637 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 AM

Liked: 38
Quote:

imo, GO get vt60 yes to your questions way better viewing angles etc. IR is going to b there just read forumns take precations vt60 hands down.. i have 65vt50 which vt60 should b a little brighter and i have no day watching problems.. and PQ is great...go get vt60 FAST!!!

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #638 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

So I think I made a mistake (will explain in a moment) and bought a 65" Samsung F8500, although my original plan was VT60.

I think you'll get a good idea of the differences of "brightness" with ChadBs review..... The only one who would be able to tell you if it gets bright enough for you is you though wink.gif ....Everyone has a different view of whats broght enough for them, so if I sad yes its bright enough and then you brought it home and said this is not bright at all, my information would be bad........

I havent noticed when viewing the VT60 in Magnolia the vertial viewing angle issues you are seeing, but TBH I havent seen them on the 8500 they have either unless I am right below or above the screen at 3 feet or less.......The distance you are (6-7 feet) from the TV is a "little" close, but it will give you some immersive watching wink.gif .....The filter on the F8500 however seems mroe agressive thus it may handle reflections from "bright rooms" better.....The trade off it seems is the vertical viewing anomolies you are seeing.....

Have you gone to see the VT60 in person? If not I suggest doing this to see if it gets bright enough for you, set it to a setting as close to possible as what you would have at home, and compare an F8500 the same way, while not perfect it would give you a good idea.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Full review will be up tonight or tomorrow, but wanted to pass along some findings so far.

Black level measured .00146 at 60Hz, and at 96 Hz it was too low for my meter to measure (presumably below .001 fL).

ABL behavior is more "conventional" (and limiting) than that of the Samsung F8500, at least in panel brightness mid.

Excellent 3D performance...

Cant wait to read the review Chad, thanks for the tidbit....
post #639 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 AM

Liked: 17
Anyone have any settings they can post ? I set up my 65ST60 as D-nice listed .. Looks great but my 65VT60 is being delivered today .. I hope in the 4 days slide session D-nice or Cnet will post settings but I don't have my hopes up
post #640 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonThomasDesigns View Post

Anyone have any settings they can post ? I set up my 65ST60 as D-nice listed .. Looks great but my 65VT60 is being delivered today .. I hope in the 4 days slide session D-nice or Cnet will post settings but I don't have my hopes up

Are you keeping both ? biggrin.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #641 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Are you keeping both ? biggrin.gif
Till the ZT comes , then one or the other gotta go .. My wife watches tons of dateline / ID network and knows how to murder me 100's of different ways .. Sold my 60" Sony Led to my buddy and the 50" LG 950 plasma can be retired to the spare room and the 42" Samsung LCD can be giving to my cat I guess .. I'm not crazy rich or anything I just buy a lot of **** lol .. Wife is my sugar momma
post #642 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Till the ZT comes , then one or the other gotta go .. My wife watches tons of dateline / ID network and knows how to murder me 100's of different ways .. Sold my 60" Sony Led to my buddy and the 50" LG 950 plasma can be retired to the spare room and the 42" Samsung LCD can be giving to my cat I guess .. I'm not crazy rich or anything I just buy a lot of **** lol .. Wife is my sugar momma

I guess so lol and your utility company must love you smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #643 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:

I guess so lol and your utility company once love you smile.gif
Not all roses my friend sometimes she MAKES me watch the Twilight movies .. I'd rather die
post #644 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not all roses my friend sometimes she MAKES me watch the Twilight movies .. I'd rather die

I sat thru those with my youngest brutal, some nice "eye candy" tho smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #645 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

I snorted coffee out my nose reading that !!!!

I feel exactly the same way with my wife and the Harry Potter movies, so glad there won't be any more of those to sit through.
post #646 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 AM

Liked: 11

Ordered on 4/25 from Cleveland plasma, arrived on 5/1 this morning --- didn't get notification of delivery despite calling in personally each day over the last 2 days to get confirmation. Got call this morning that delivery driver was 10 minutes away, luckily wife was able to handle it and the driver brought inside, opened, and turned it on. This was not Cleveland Plasma's fault, more on the shipping company but he was pleasant and went the extra mile so it made up for it.

This is going in an obscenely well lit room, so I'll let you know how that goes and it should settle any debate if it can handle bright room or not --- will post a couple of pics.
post #647 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinbeast View Post

Ordered on 4/25 from Cleveland plasma, arrived on 5/1 this morning --- didn't get notification of delivery despite calling in personally each day over the last 2 days to get confirmation. Got call this morning that delivery driver was 10 minutes away, luckily wife was able to handle it and the driver brought inside, opened, and turned it on. This was not Cleveland Plasma's fault, more on the shipping company but he was pleasant and went the extra mile so it made up for it.

This is going in an obscenely well lit room, so I'll let you know how that goes and it should settle any debate if it can handle bright room or not --- will post a couple of pics.

Congrats please share more pics when you get that bad boy up and running smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #648 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinbeast View Post

Nice. I got my shipping notice yesterday from Cleveland Plasma. I also have a 65" VT60 on the way, also going into a bright room. I know the samsung F8500 could handle it, hoping the VT60 wont be too much worse dealing with reflections.
post #649 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Got my 60" VT60 yesterday from Cleveland plasma. Still setting everything up and don't have anything calibrated. But so far really like the TV though there are a few things I'm getting used to. My old Pioneer used to auto adjust the picture stretching based on the video source and now it is manual, which is kind of a pain. More of a review once I get things setup.

Question for VT60 owners. Did you do the firmware patch on your TV yet? If so did you have any adverse affects?
post #650 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:

when i viewed both in store, the f8500 was the only one i noticed a filter on. it was sitting on a typical tv stand at similar viewing height as you describe. i had to stand back at least 10-15 feet or sit down to watch it. from a seated position i didn't notice anything, but it definitely reminded me of watch the old CRT RPTV's. the vt60 will fix this problem, no doubt in my mind.

as for brightness. my answer is yes, but i'm not somebody that thinks tv's should be bright. i had a samsung LED for a week, and after 'calibration' i had the backlight set to 4 out of 20. my current samsung plasma(b540) is set to 7 out of 10 and it's good for me.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #651 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 10:31 AM

My 65"VT60 just arrived from Amazon via Ceva shipping .. Ordered Monday .. Time to run slides , it's gonna hang out in the basement till its done
post #652 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

You have 60 days if you become a silver member. make sure you sign up for it regardless. all you need to do is spend 2500.00 or more /yr in which you did so.

Actually, I asked them if my Premium Silver membership (or whatever they call it) will be applied to this very purchase (giving me 60 days return), and they said "no sir, this purchase will have to be final before it will make you Silver member, so on this TV purchase you will still have only 15 days to return".

I guess it makes sense, and for me the vertical viewing angles issue was so shocking and unacceptable, that I won't hesitate to return the set anyway, no need to wait for 60 days smile.gif
post #653 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:

My 65"VT60 just arrived from Amazon via Ceva shipping .. Ordered Monday .. Time to run slides , it's gonna hang out in the basement till its done
I am confused. Did you order 1 of each model so you can decide at home what you want and then return the ones you dont like? What will you do if the return period is over before the ZT is available?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #654 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:

That's disappointing, I'm with you the qc, buzzing and firmware issues have always steered me away from Samsung. The initial reports seem to confirm that those along with brightness pops are still issues.

Actually, I was trying to listen for buzzing last night, and if I literally put my ear next to the grill on the back of the set, I would hear the buzz (more so on bright slides), but it was so faint that I would not hear it from a couple feet away, and definitely not from the normal viewing distance of 6+ feet with movie sound on.

The only reason I'm returning it - is the vertical viewing angles issue, which indeed is a characteristic of the model, rather than production defect in one device.
post #655 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by subgenius37 View Post

Got my 60" VT60 yesterday from Cleveland plasma. Still setting everything up and don't have anything calibrated. But so far really like the TV though there are a few things I'm getting used to. My old Pioneer used to auto adjust the picture stretching based on the video source and now it is manual, which is kind of a pain. More of a review once I get things setup.

Question for VT60 owners. Did you do the firmware patch on your TV yet? If so did you have any adverse affects?

Congratulations on your new set.

I did patch mine. The only thing I have any problems with is that the native YouTube app does not work for me, but I didn't try it out before patching, so I don't know if its related.

I can certainly live without the YouTube app, since the PS3 does it just fine... it just bothers me a bit that it doesn't work for me. smile.gif
post #656 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 AM

Liked: 15
By the way, while we all anxiously await Chad's review, I thought I'd point out that CNet has a review of the Samsung 8500 up and they use the 60VT60 as one of the comparison TVs.

He says

The F8500 deserves a spot in the upper echelon of TVs you can buy, and in a bright room it's the best plasma I've ever seen. In moderate rooms, it doesn't quite match up to the picture quality of the like-priced Panasonic TC-PVT60 series, and while I'd say it's a superior performer to the ST60 by a nose, they both earn the same "9" rating in this section.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn60f8500/4505-6482_7-35566923-2.html
post #657 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXo View Post

By the way, while we all anxiously await Chad's review, I thought I'd point out that CNet has a review of the Samsung 8500 up and they use the 60VT60 as one of the comparison TVs.

He says

The F8500 deserves a spot in the upper echelon of TVs you can buy, and in a bright room it's the best plasma I've ever seen. In moderate rooms, it doesn't quite match up to the picture quality of the like-priced Panasonic TC-PVT60 series, and while I'd say it's a superior performer to the ST60 by a nose, they both earn the same "9" rating in this section.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn60f8500/4505-6482_7-35566923-2.html

Bodes well for the ZT I think smile.gif

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #658 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I am confused. Did you order 1 of each model so you can decide at home what you want and then return the ones you dont like? What will you do if the return period is over before the ZT is available?

Nope just bought one of each .. I have issues smile.gif I wanted the ZT , once I found out how long the release date was away was i bought the ST .. But then I changed my mind and bought the VT because of game lag and 3d , not that I care about 3d all that much .. So I could be happy with that .. But once the ZT comes out and if it gets KURO type praise I will have to buy it .. I will keep the VT in my living room and ST will go to bed room

All this money I could have got a 4k .. But I ALWAYS buy launch tech and regret it later .. My old HUGE WEGA 37" Sony CRT HDTV .. Sony SXRD KDS-R60XBR2 rear projection etc.. So I'll let 4k / OLED work it out as I enjoy the last and hopefully best of a dying breed
post #659 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:

Nope just bought one of each .. I have issues smile.gif I wanted the ZT , once I found out how long the release date was away was i bought the ST .. But then I changed my mind and bought the VT because of game lag and 3d , not that I care about 3d all that much .. So I could be happy with that .. But once the ZT comes out and if it gets KURO type praise I will have to buy it .. I will keep the VT in my living room and ST will go to bed room

All this money I could have got a 4k .. But I ALWAYS buy launch tech and regret it later .. My old HUGE WEGA 37" Sony CRT HDTV .. Sony SXRD KDS-R60XBR2 rear projection etc.. So I'll let 4k / OLED work it out as I enjoy the last and hopefully best of a dying breed
Now Im even more confused. 3 hours ago you said you were only keeping the ST and VT until the ZT comes and then "one or the other gotta go".

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #660 of 14877 Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:

Nope just bought one of each .. I have issues smile.gif I wanted the ZT , once I found out how long the release date was away was i bought the ST .. But then I changed my mind and bought the VT because of game lag and 3d , not that I care about 3d all that much ..

Did you game on both sets? Can you comment on the lag on the ST60 and how it felt to you?

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page