Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 259 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 237Likes

post #7741 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Turns out my new April build, once set up, does exhibit the extremely audible fan/warble noise.

Panasonic service call set up for next week. Another poster suggested inserting washers when replacing the fans after the fix, which they claim further quiets the issue over and above the foam fix.

I'm actually happier gong this route (than a return) as it should prove an ever better solution than the factory fix alone.

I have the July build and had the same well-known noise issues. Panasonic sent out a technician and he installed the dampers that Panasonic sent him. Absolutely no noise now.
Hughmc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by huber13 View Post

Ahhh! Got'm Thanks whipit!

You're welcome
post #7743 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

Turns out my new April build, once set up, does exhibit the extremely audible fan/warble noise.

Panasonic service call set up for next week. Another poster suggested inserting washers when replacing the fans after the fix, which they claim further quiets the issue over and above the foam fix.

I'm actually happier gong this route (than a return) as it should prove an ever better solution than the factory fix alone.

Good choice. Opting for a return is just opening the door for a panel that has more issues.

The fan fix is fairly straight forward and simple.

Enjoy your TV!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears,PA 120 12" Sub,klipsch R-10SW
post #7744 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

That's what I plan on doing as well. Hopefully the fix plus the washers eliminates the noise for me. I wonder if the factory fix is the exact same as the fix done by the technician. I really contemplated having a replacement sent out, but no guarantee I'd get one with the factory fix, plus there's the possibility of other issues as stated.
post #7745 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Any VT60 that are happy with the set find the 3D brightness to be lacking? Or is good enough?
post #7746 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I am not a big guy...155...and am 52...I do work out...silly impatience....I clean lifted the 65" in from behind to get it out of the box and on the stand....I threw my back out mid lift and had to put it back in the box till I had an extra hand.... for a couple of days...pulled muscles...I highly recommend not doing what I did....smile.gif

Ouch. I don't know if I would have tried it with the 65", but for my 50ST60, whose panel weighs 50 lbs, I cut the tape holding the box bottom together, folded it down flat, and slid it against the back of a sofa, so the TV back was against the sofa back. Then I slid the stand underneath the TV, which was still secure in the styrofoam end pieces. It was pretty easy to lift the panel up and get it onto the stand, with the couch providing support and keeping the TV from pivoting. I really appreciated the design of the packaging.
Hughmc likes this.
post #7747 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 05:15 PM

Liked: 10
received my VT65 today, manufacture date of aug and cannot hear any fan noise, happy about that. am going to start the system update and than perform the plasma break-in. very excited, wife thinks I am crazy. the things we do for our video. Hum connection to server failed second time - do no like that idea. anyone else experience the same for updates?
post #7748 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Any VT60 that are happy with the set find the 3D brightness to be lacking? Or is good enough?

I'm happy with the brightness output in 3D mode. In my opinion, and I've stated this since the VT25, 3D looks great on these panasonics!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
post #7749 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by attgeekguy View Post

received my VT65 today, manufacture date of aug and cannot hear any fan noise, happy about that. am going to start the system update and than perform the plasma break-in. very excited, wife thinks I am crazy. the things we do for our video. Hum connection to server failed second time - do no like that idea. anyone else experience the same for updates?

Have you successfully configured your network/internet settings on the TV?

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
post #7750 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 42
FilmMixer,

Please report back how the fan fix goes and if it significantly reduces or effectively eliminates the noise. I didn't get a chance to contact Panasonic so will have to wait until next week to schedule.

*How did the call to get a tech to come out go? In the dedicated fan noise thread some reported that Panasonic gave them some hassle.*
post #7751 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

jconjason,

Please report back how the fan fix goes and if it significantly reduces or effectively eliminates the noise. I didn't get a chance to contact Panasonic so will have to wait until next week to schedule.

*How did the call to get a tech to come out go? In the dedicated fan noise thread some reported that Panasonic gave them some hassle. *

I think you meant to ask FilmMixer. I'm not having the fan fix done. If i were, id be glad to share my experience with you. smile.gif

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
post #7752 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 06:02 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcannon0317 View Post

Thanks! Have an email into D-Nice.

I had D-Nice calibrate my VT60 last night and the results are outstanding. I ran the slides for 100+ hours and ran full screen content with D-Nice's setting for another 250+ hours. The picture had a slight greenish color before calibration, but still very good. After calibration the color is spot on and all content is much better. I am a very happy customer!
post #7753 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0

Any comments on burn-in and image retention? Especially compared to Samsung E8000 series?

post #7754 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 PM

Took delivery of my P65VT60 today and I have been glued to the TV since lol.  Been running the slides mostly with some movies in between.  CEVA delivered it and I had no communication with them until they arrived within the window I picked on the Amazon site.  CEVA guys did not speak very good english but brought the TV in and unpacked it.  Set it up on the stand and plugged it in to make sure it all worked.  No complaints from me other than the fact they didn't really make conversation :D.

The TV is a October 2013 build with no buzz or fan noise.  I even put my ear up to the TV and I can't hear anything for noise.  I also did not have any dead pixels or dead HDMI ports.  I am a very happy camper right now as this was money well spent.  I could not be happier with this TV and my friends who stopped by are already jealous :).  I look forward to getting this on the wall where it will amaze me for years to come.  

I briefly checked out the 3D and was surprised at how good it looked.  Brightness was a bit dim on the 3d and the Apps seem to have their own picture settings.  I did not like any of the App picture presets as they all seemed a bit too bright for my liking.  I so far do not see any IR issues or burn in and I have been looking for it.

Best TV I have ever owned period.

post #7755 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffin View Post

Took delivery of my P65VT60 today and I have been glued to the TV since lol.  Been running the slides mostly with some movies in between.  CEVA delivered it and I had no communication with them until they arrived within the window I picked on the Amazon site.  CEVA guys did not speak very good english but brought the TV in and unpacked it.  Set it up on the stand and plugged it in to make sure it all worked.  No complaints from me other than the fact they didn't really make conversation :D.

The TV is a October 2013 build with no buzz or fan noise.  I even put my ear up to the TV and I can't hear anything for noise.  I also did not have any dead pixels or dead HDMI ports.  I am a very happy camper right now as this was money well spent.  I could not be happier with this TV and my friends who stopped by are already jealous :).  I look forward to getting this on the wall where it will amaze me for years to come.  

I briefly checked out the 3D and was surprised at how good it looked.  Brightness was a bit dim on the 3d and the Apps seem to have their own picture settings.  I did not like any of the App picture presets as they all seemed a bit too bright for my liking.  I so far do not see any IR issues or burn in and I have been looking for it.

Best TV I have ever owned period.

Thanks for your review. With regards to IR, do you try to watch news channels with constant logos or color bands at the bottom?

post #7756 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:

I had D-Nice calibrate my VT60 last night and the results are outstanding. I ran the slides for 100+ hours and ran full screen content with D-Nice's setting for another 250+ hours. The picture had a slight greenish color before calibration, but still very good. After calibration the color is spot on and all content is much better. I am a very happy customer!

What are these "D-Nice Settings" ?
Seems I have some experimenting to do.

RayJr
post #7757 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdemello View Post

Thanks for your review. With regards to IR, do you try to watch news channels with constant logos or color bands at the bottom?

I have been trying to avoid them to be honest. I have not watched any news or regular channels.  I have only been watching the movie channels

post #7758 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 07:25 PM

Thanks. Still trying to figure out if this is the right TV as it will be placed next to a sunny balcony. I can cover a part of it with curtains but the living room is still quite bright. If I have a cinema, I would have got the VT60 without a second thought. Not sure if it's the ideal set for watching regular news and education channels.

post #7759 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
No 3D on Netflix?
post #7760 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

What are these "D-Nice Settings" ?
Seems I have some experimenting to do.

RayJr

Over at turbe's forum site: http://www.calibrationforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Larry
post #7761 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Congrats! Enjoy the TV, and post your impressions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Hmm. If you're referring to the plastic film on the lower bezel, my 60VT60 had it. No idea. Mine was from Amazon. Maybe check the hours just to be on safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I received my 65VT60 a few hours ago. Ordered from Amazon and Ceva delivered mine. They were great. First thing they asked was where I would like to put it and if they would like me to have them assemble it on the stand. It was a man and a women. The women had a broken foot so I let her have a seat and helped the guy out. I prefer to actually be the one to help anyway...We laughed and had a good time. At one point the lady touched the top of the glass and I asked her if she was crazy. I was like, get your hand off that glass now. lol

I threw them 10 dollars. I was expecting a drop and run so I was really suprised at the service.

My TV is an October 2013 build and it did have plastic wrapped around the bottom of it along with the energy sticker. The remote was also wrapped in plastic.

No fan noise and the buzz sounds lighter on a white screen then my ST60 did. So far everything seems great.
Yup, that is where I got the weight from. I guess the base weighs alot but to be honest it did not feel that heavy when we lifted it. The TV alone was not heavy at so for anyone mounting it I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

Iam absolutely astounded at the PQ of this set. I'm coming from last year's 65ST50 and the overall video processing of the VT60 (on 720p and 1080i OTA tv content) is leaps and bounds better than the ST50. And this is without plugging it in yet to my Oppo 103D which has reference video processing so I can't even imagine what it'll look like then. I can just see my jaw dropping the first time I put in a BD...............biggrin.gif

p3Orion

Screen uniformity looks excellent on the slides and it's whisper quiet. I haven't seen any IR but I've never been OCD enough to obsessively look for them either. As to the hours my set reads A0001-0000 so I figure it only has 10,000 hours so I should be good to go right? wink.gif

Hey Eric, not only were the Pilot guys late and borderline rude but they didn't even have a paper invoice for me to sign once I inspected and accepted my delivery. They wanted an electronic signature on their smartphone and of course since that wouldn't enable me to write the ''subject to inspection for hidden damage'' that I always include on the notes section I wasn't sure what to do at first. I've never been anal enough to look at a newly delivered set using a flashlight before but I made an exception and did a thorough check for the first time today. They then kindly volunteered that they wouldn't assemble the set for me as that was outside of their purview but at this point I would have been shocked if they'd actually done that. Once I was satisfied- I sent them on their after gently letting them know that their behavior and professionalism overall had led them to miss out on a generous tip (I had $40 ready) and that they re-consider how they treat their customers in the future. Before anybody reads too much into this, please understand that this is the luck of the draw. I had Pilot deliver my 65ST50 last October and the delivery guys then were the complete opposite and were truly professional to the end. Ceva or Pilot- it doesn't really matter. It'll go one way or the other and you'll never know until they get there.

Now for my nitpicks: biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

- I see no way to turn off pixel orbiter in any of my picture settings. I've always turned that feature off before running my picture slides and I'm a bit hesitant as to what I should do now. I can leave it on auto but I'm not completely sure what that does and what kind of shifting it does to the pixels. Also running it on ''longer'' still doesn't leave a single slide for the 30 seconds that it should. The max is 20 seconds but I figure that should be ok. For those that are curious I use the old school evangelo 120 slides from a couple of years back. What is everybody else choosing for their pixel orbiter settings before running slides?

- Where the heck is this pen that will let you supposedly draw on the screen? I couldn't find it in the box. I don't ever think I would let anything let alone a pen touch my screen but I was just curious if it should have been included.

On an additional note I was sad to let my D-Nice calibrated 65ST50 go when I sold it to a friend who's first question was ''Does this thing have a sport mode like my Vizio?'' when he came to pick it up. I almost took it back from him until he gave me his word that he'll watch it in its calibrated custom mode with the caveat that I'll be able to take it back from him for free if I ever catch him otherwise.

Sheesh! The nerve of some people rolleyes.gif
post #7762 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Auto is off for the pixel orbitor.

TV does not come with the pen. You need to purchase it.
post #7763 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
^You sold it to him. did you not? That should've been enough. wink.gif Concerning pixel orbiting, auto is the equivalent to off, apparently. No one else has received a pen either from what I can tell.
post #7764 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Quote:

Would you be kind enough to share your 2D and 3D settings with us? I'll be having D-Nice calibrate mine sometime next year when I have enough hours accumulated just like he did this year with my 65ST50. I'll be sharing my settings as well then.

Thanks smile.gif
post #7765 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Auto is off for the pixel orbitor.

Only if "Over scan" is turned off. If "Over scan" is turned on and "Pixel Orbiter" is on Auto, then the pixel orbiter will be on.
post #7766 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I'm coming from last year's 65ST50 and the overall video processing of the VT60 (on 720p and 1080i OTA tv content) is leaps and bounds better than the ST50.
Hmmm. I guess one man's "leaps and bounds" is another man's "looks about the same." I have both the VT60 and the ST50 and I really don't notice any significant differences between the overall video processing. Maybe I don't sit close enough to notice, perhaps I'd need to compare using test patterns to know what I'm supposed to be seeing, or maybe my satellite feed is too crummy to highlight such issues, but fortunately I'm not OCD enough to go looking. I suspect I'd notice something like you describe more readily on my front projection set-up.

This reminds me...I still need to get a Darbee for my projector...
post #7767 of 16665 Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Would you be kind enough to share your 2D and 3D settings with us? I'll be having D-Nice calibrate mine sometime next year when I have enough hours accumulated just like he did this year with my 65ST50. I'll be sharing my settings as well then.

Thanks smile.gif

Good to hear you're happy with your TV!

Id strongly suggest you don't use someone elses calibration settings. They were custom made for that room environment and viewing preferences. They might look good on your set but the chances are the oob THX mode will look better, until you can get your own calibration.

Enjoy!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
post #7768 of 16665 Old 12-07-2013, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello,

Have been reading the whole thread over the last couple of weeks. Great community.

I don't have a VT60 yet, but looking at getting one.

I have two questions:

1. Living in Singapore ( the VT60 is here ridiculously overpriced), I was wondering why the US VT60's are made in Mexico and not in one of the three Asian Panasonic manufacturing sides which are prone to be shut down according to the news. What happens to the Mexican one?
If really made in Mexico, would you expect any difference to the Asian made ones? Such as no fan problems?

2. In the whole thread everyone talks about glass on the front side. No VT60 I see here int he shops has actually a glass in the front, it's just a simple plastic sheet, which it's most likely coated and acting as a filter. Surely there might be a glass layer underneath for the plasma panel, but the fist layer is plastic. Try to press a finger against yours, it will bent in. Another difference from US VT to Asian ones?

Thanks.

Y
post #7769 of 16665 Old 12-07-2013, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaqushi View Post

2. In the whole thread everyone talks about glass on the front side. No VT60 I see here int he shops has actually a glass in the front, it's just a simple plastic sheet, which it's most likely coated and acting as a filter. Surely there might be a glass layer underneath for the plasma panel, but the fist layer is plastic. Try to press a finger against yours, it will bent in. Another difference from US VT to Asian ones?

It may be that the VT60s there don't actually have glass on the front., however I suspect they do. The glass on mine is probably less then 3 to 4mm. It is very thin and although I don't want to be pressing on my new TV to see if it bends, I'm sure it would if I pressed on it.. It's a type of high strength glass. They actually have glass that you can bend almost completely in half. It looks like it's plastic until it shatters. It's enough to protect the inside screen in some cases and the flex helps absorb the shock to the glass. I think all these changes are to save money on shipping and materials rather then wanting to make a stylish thin TV, or maybe a little of both.

The one thing about the ZT60 I didn't care for was the glass being bonded directly to the panel. It's supposed to make a better picture because it got rid of the any internal reflections caused by the air gap but I would guess that the shock from any object hitting the front of the screen would transmit directly to the plasma panel itself. I suppose if a person doesn't have children, a Wii controller or in the worst scenario, both of these, then that probably wouldn't even be a thought in choosing one over the other. Well, besides for the cost of course.

This is not what Panasonic uses but it gives you an idea of what it looks like. Or you can Google "flexible glass"

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-34447_1-57563367/hands-on-with-cornings-bendable-willow-glass-exclusive/
post #7770 of 16665 Old 12-07-2013, 03:25 AM

I've had my tv since may and the IR persistence doesn't seem to be getting any better. I guess I got the unlucky side of the draw.

You can't see it on standard content, but I got logos and even menu options that appear on slides and screen wipe, which is strange cause I zoom for any channels with color logos, but was told that transparent logos don't cause issues.

It's even stranger with the panasonic menus. I rarely use them for extended periods. But even last night I was doing the latest software update and for the next hour you could see the word software update. And that was only on the screen 5 min max. I was thinking the IR would get better with time, but that doesn't seem the case anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page