Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 259 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7741 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post

I don't know about Ray's but the one I just got from Best Buy last Sunday had a date of Oct 2013 and no fan noise from viewing distance. If it's really quiet I might be able to hear them softly standing right in front of the TV but for the most part I have to stick my head back behind it within about 6 inches to hear them with any real volume.

Mine is June 2013 and I have yet to hear any fan noise from close up to viewing distance.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

It felt heavier...plus trying to gets my arms around it..Im 5'10...
I am not a big guy...155...and am 52...I do work out...silly impatience....I clean lifted the 65" in from behind to get it out of the box and on the stand....I threw my back out mid lift and had to put it back in the box till I had an extra hand.... for a couple of days...pulled muscles...I highly recommend not doing what I did....smile.gif
Ouch. I agree...I'm younger but with bad elbows (tendinitis) and thus being deconditioned (no workouts for years), I lifted it with the help of another.
Hughmc likes this.
post #7743 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Ouch. I agree...I'm younger but with bad elbows (tendinitis) and thus being deconditioned (no workouts for years), I lifted it with the help of another.

my son lives with me and he is more than capable but he wasn't here and you know...waiting...meanwhile I waited 4 days for slides to run....lol....but had to get the beast out of the box to get it running...I love this tech, but.....It was impulsive and stupid.....$...2K...glass and set is impressive looking...lucky I didn't drop or scratch the glass. redface.gif
vinnie97 likes this.
post #7744 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Scott - Because I think we hope that this thread will eventually get back to being informative, interesting and helpful. I have to agree with others that lately it is just a bunch of garbage. Most of what is being questioned can be found with a search or by reading the thread - yes its long but if you invest $2k in a display its worth the time to read about it. Even the fan fix is going south with posts about not having the fan fix installed on a display with June or earlier manufacturing date - DUH! If a thread loses its relevance the ones that can truly help or add something to thread/conversation stop making visits smile.gif

SeLfMaDe111985 - As for the comment that only a pro calibrator or dealer are the only ones who really know their stuff - seriously?? The rest are just hobbyists? There are a number of posters on this thread and others who I would trust completely to answer my question accurately and give me excellent advice - JimP, Vinnie, Htwaits, to name just a few - the list is long so I will stop there. That comment shows just how naive someone is.

This morning driving into the parking deck at work I noticed that the steel beams didn't seem to be thick enough to support the decks weight. I decided to park on the street rolleyes.gif I'm with Jason - some just need to relax and enjoy their displays and trust those who make the products we buy to know what they are doing, otherwise why the hell did we buy them? Steve

I loved the parking garage analogy. I think its the first time I actually laughed reading this thread. Good one. Look tomorrow morning-I think the ceiling is getting lower...

Of course there's a lot of garbage on here. Why? One reason-there's only one thread for a popular model. I doubt it'll ever be what you described, honestly. Because everybody has to throw in their two cents about every little thing; some feel compelled to argue with others. This is why it occurred to me, hey, why not just block out the ones we find irritating. Why not? We can't do it in real life......Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #7745 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 03:07 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Yes!

Thanks!

My priorities? Each one of my speakers weighs more than my VT60.
post #7746 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Turns out my new April build, once set up, does exhibit the extremely audible fan/warble noise.

Panasonic service call set up for next week. Another poster suggested inserting washers when replacing the fans after the fix, which they claim further quiets the issue over and above the foam fix.

I'm actually happier gong this route (than a return) as it should prove an ever better solution than the factory fix alone.
post #7747 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It felt heavier...plus trying to gets my arms around it..Im 5'10...
I am not a big guy...155...and am 52...I do work out...silly impatience....I clean lifted the 65" in from behind to get it out of the box and on the stand....I threw my back out mid lift and had to put it back in the box till I had an extra hand.... for a couple of days...pulled muscles...I highly recommend not doing what I did....smile.gif

****-Recommend everyone read this man's experience, no matter how old you are.....Scott (with bad back sometimes).
Hughmc likes this.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #7748 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 03:18 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Turns out my new April build, once set up, does exhibit the extremely audible fan/warble noise.

Panasonic service call set up for next week. Another poster suggested inserting washers when replacing the fans after the fix, which they claim further quiets the issue over and above the foam fix.

I'm actually happier gong this route (than a return) as it should prove an ever better solution than the factory fix alone.

I have the July build and had the same well-known noise issues. Panasonic sent out a technician and he installed the dampers that Panasonic sent him. Absolutely no noise now.
Hughmc likes this.
post #7749 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by huber13 View Post

Ahhh! Got'm Thanks whipit!

You're welcome
post #7750 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Good choice. Opting for a return is just opening the door for a panel that has more issues.

The fan fix is fairly straight forward and simple.

Enjoy your TV!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #7751 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

That's what I plan on doing as well. Hopefully the fix plus the washers eliminates the noise for me. I wonder if the factory fix is the exact same as the fix done by the technician. I really contemplated having a replacement sent out, but no guarantee I'd get one with the factory fix, plus there's the possibility of other issues as stated.
post #7752 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Any VT60 that are happy with the set find the 3D brightness to be lacking? Or is good enough?
post #7753 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

Ouch. I don't know if I would have tried it with the 65", but for my 50ST60, whose panel weighs 50 lbs, I cut the tape holding the box bottom together, folded it down flat, and slid it against the back of a sofa, so the TV back was against the sofa back. Then I slid the stand underneath the TV, which was still secure in the styrofoam end pieces. It was pretty easy to lift the panel up and get it onto the stand, with the couch providing support and keeping the TV from pivoting. I really appreciated the design of the packaging.
Hughmc likes this.
post #7754 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 05:15 PM

Liked: 10
received my VT65 today, manufacture date of aug and cannot hear any fan noise, happy about that. am going to start the system update and than perform the plasma break-in. very excited, wife thinks I am crazy. the things we do for our video. Hum connection to server failed second time - do no like that idea. anyone else experience the same for updates?
post #7755 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Any VT60 that are happy with the set find the 3D brightness to be lacking? Or is good enough?

I'm happy with the brightness output in 3D mode. In my opinion, and I've stated this since the VT25, 3D looks great on these panasonics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #7756 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by attgeekguy View Post

received my VT65 today, manufacture date of aug and cannot hear any fan noise, happy about that. am going to start the system update and than perform the plasma break-in. very excited, wife thinks I am crazy. the things we do for our video. Hum connection to server failed second time - do no like that idea. anyone else experience the same for updates?

Have you successfully configured your network/internet settings on the TV?

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #7757 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
FilmMixer,

Please report back how the fan fix goes and if it significantly reduces or effectively eliminates the noise. I didn't get a chance to contact Panasonic so will have to wait until next week to schedule.

*How did the call to get a tech to come out go? In the dedicated fan noise thread some reported that Panasonic gave them some hassle.*
post #7758 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

jconjason,

Please report back how the fan fix goes and if it significantly reduces or effectively eliminates the noise. I didn't get a chance to contact Panasonic so will have to wait until next week to schedule.

*How did the call to get a tech to come out go? In the dedicated fan noise thread some reported that Panasonic gave them some hassle. *

I think you meant to ask FilmMixer. I'm not having the fan fix done. If i were, id be glad to share my experience with you. smile.gif

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #7759 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 06:02 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcannon0317 View Post

Thanks! Have an email into D-Nice.

I had D-Nice calibrate my VT60 last night and the results are outstanding. I ran the slides for 100+ hours and ran full screen content with D-Nice's setting for another 250+ hours. The picture had a slight greenish color before calibration, but still very good. After calibration the color is spot on and all content is much better. I am a very happy customer!
post #7760 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Liked: 0

Any comments on burn-in and image retention? Especially compared to Samsung E8000 series?

post #7761 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 PM

Took delivery of my P65VT60 today and I have been glued to the TV since lol.  Been running the slides mostly with some movies in between.  CEVA delivered it and I had no communication with them until they arrived within the window I picked on the Amazon site.  CEVA guys did not speak very good english but brought the TV in and unpacked it.  Set it up on the stand and plugged it in to make sure it all worked.  No complaints from me other than the fact they didn't really make conversation :D.

The TV is a October 2013 build with no buzz or fan noise.  I even put my ear up to the TV and I can't hear anything for noise.  I also did not have any dead pixels or dead HDMI ports.  I am a very happy camper right now as this was money well spent.  I could not be happier with this TV and my friends who stopped by are already jealous :).  I look forward to getting this on the wall where it will amaze me for years to come.  

I briefly checked out the 3D and was surprised at how good it looked.  Brightness was a bit dim on the 3d and the Apps seem to have their own picture settings.  I did not like any of the App picture presets as they all seemed a bit too bright for my liking.  I so far do not see any IR issues or burn in and I have been looking for it.

Best TV I have ever owned period.

post #7762 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffin View Post

Took delivery of my P65VT60 today and I have been glued to the TV since lol.  Been running the slides mostly with some movies in between.  CEVA delivered it and I had no communication with them until they arrived within the window I picked on the Amazon site.  CEVA guys did not speak very good english but brought the TV in and unpacked it.  Set it up on the stand and plugged it in to make sure it all worked.  No complaints from me other than the fact they didn't really make conversation :D.

The TV is a October 2013 build with no buzz or fan noise.  I even put my ear up to the TV and I can't hear anything for noise.  I also did not have any dead pixels or dead HDMI ports.  I am a very happy camper right now as this was money well spent.  I could not be happier with this TV and my friends who stopped by are already jealous :).  I look forward to getting this on the wall where it will amaze me for years to come.  

I briefly checked out the 3D and was surprised at how good it looked.  Brightness was a bit dim on the 3d and the Apps seem to have their own picture settings.  I did not like any of the App picture presets as they all seemed a bit too bright for my liking.  I so far do not see any IR issues or burn in and I have been looking for it.

Best TV I have ever owned period.

Thanks for your review. With regards to IR, do you try to watch news channels with constant logos or color bands at the bottom?

post #7763 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Send a message via AIM to Rayjr Send a message via Yahoo to Rayjr Send a message via Skype™ to Rayjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcannon0317 View Post

I had D-Nice calibrate my VT60 last night and the results are outstanding. I ran the slides for 100+ hours and ran full screen content with D-Nice's setting for another 250+ hours. The picture had a slight greenish color before calibration, but still very good. After calibration the color is spot on and all content is much better. I am a very happy customer!

What are these "D-Nice Settings" ?
Seems I have some experimenting to do.

RayJr

"
"

post #7764 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdemello View Post

Thanks for your review. With regards to IR, do you try to watch news channels with constant logos or color bands at the bottom?

I have been trying to avoid them to be honest. I have not watched any news or regular channels.  I have only been watching the movie channels

post #7765 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 07:25 PM

Thanks. Still trying to figure out if this is the right TV as it will be placed next to a sunny balcony. I can cover a part of it with curtains but the living room is still quite bright. If I have a cinema, I would have got the VT60 without a second thought. Not sure if it's the ideal set for watching regular news and education channels.

post #7766 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 632
No 3D on Netflix?
post #7767 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayjr View Post

What are these "D-Nice Settings" ?
Seems I have some experimenting to do.

RayJr

Over at turbe's forum site: http://www.calibrationforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Larry
post #7768 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Congrats! Enjoy the TV, and post your impressions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Hmm. If you're referring to the plastic film on the lower bezel, my 60VT60 had it. No idea. Mine was from Amazon. Maybe check the hours just to be on safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I received my 65VT60 a few hours ago. Ordered from Amazon and Ceva delivered mine. They were great. First thing they asked was where I would like to put it and if they would like me to have them assemble it on the stand. It was a man and a women. The women had a broken foot so I let her have a seat and helped the guy out. I prefer to actually be the one to help anyway...We laughed and had a good time. At one point the lady touched the top of the glass and I asked her if she was crazy. I was like, get your hand off that glass now. lol

I threw them 10 dollars. I was expecting a drop and run so I was really suprised at the service.

My TV is an October 2013 build and it did have plastic wrapped around the bottom of it along with the energy sticker. The remote was also wrapped in plastic.

No fan noise and the buzz sounds lighter on a white screen then my ST60 did. So far everything seems great.
Yup, that is where I got the weight from. I guess the base weighs alot but to be honest it did not feel that heavy when we lifted it. The TV alone was not heavy at so for anyone mounting it I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

Iam absolutely astounded at the PQ of this set. I'm coming from last year's 65ST50 and the overall video processing of the VT60 (on 720p and 1080i OTA tv content) is leaps and bounds better than the ST50. And this is without plugging it in yet to my Oppo 103D which has reference video processing so I can't even imagine what it'll look like then. I can just see my jaw dropping the first time I put in a BD...............biggrin.gif

p3Orion

Screen uniformity looks excellent on the slides and it's whisper quiet. I haven't seen any IR but I've never been OCD enough to obsessively look for them either. As to the hours my set reads A0001-0000 so I figure it only has 10,000 hours so I should be good to go right? wink.gif

Hey Eric, not only were the Pilot guys late and borderline rude but they didn't even have a paper invoice for me to sign once I inspected and accepted my delivery. They wanted an electronic signature on their smartphone and of course since that wouldn't enable me to write the ''subject to inspection for hidden damage'' that I always include on the notes section I wasn't sure what to do at first. I've never been anal enough to look at a newly delivered set using a flashlight before but I made an exception and did a thorough check for the first time today. They then kindly volunteered that they wouldn't assemble the set for me as that was outside of their purview but at this point I would have been shocked if they'd actually done that. Once I was satisfied- I sent them on their after gently letting them know that their behavior and professionalism overall had led them to miss out on a generous tip (I had $40 ready) and that they re-consider how they treat their customers in the future. Before anybody reads too much into this, please understand that this is the luck of the draw. I had Pilot deliver my 65ST50 last October and the delivery guys then were the complete opposite and were truly professional to the end. Ceva or Pilot- it doesn't really matter. It'll go one way or the other and you'll never know until they get there.

Now for my nitpicks: biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

- I see no way to turn off pixel orbiter in any of my picture settings. I've always turned that feature off before running my picture slides and I'm a bit hesitant as to what I should do now. I can leave it on auto but I'm not completely sure what that does and what kind of shifting it does to the pixels. Also running it on ''longer'' still doesn't leave a single slide for the 30 seconds that it should. The max is 20 seconds but I figure that should be ok. For those that are curious I use the old school evangelo 120 slides from a couple of years back. What is everybody else choosing for their pixel orbiter settings before running slides?

- Where the heck is this pen that will let you supposedly draw on the screen? I couldn't find it in the box. I don't ever think I would let anything let alone a pen touch my screen but I was just curious if it should have been included.

On an additional note I was sad to let my D-Nice calibrated 65ST50 go when I sold it to a friend who's first question was ''Does this thing have a sport mode like my Vizio?'' when he came to pick it up. I almost took it back from him until he gave me his word that he'll watch it in its calibrated custom mode with the caveat that I'll be able to take it back from him for free if I ever catch him otherwise.

Sheesh! The nerve of some people rolleyes.gif
post #7769 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Auto is off for the pixel orbitor.

TV does not come with the pen. You need to purchase it.
post #7770 of 14973 Old 12-06-2013, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^You sold it to him. did you not? That should've been enough. wink.gif Concerning pixel orbiting, auto is the equivalent to off, apparently. No one else has received a pen either from what I can tell.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page