Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 268 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8011 of 14919 Old 12-10-2013, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

I'd argue that as good as the VT60 is, you can't create a home "theater" with a big TV. For sure, you can make a hell of a nice media room or A/V system. But for the kind of immersion you get from a true theater, you need a projector. I didn't think this was true until I got my first FP system, then I saw the light, so to speak.

Oh yeah, you need a good sound system too.

I would have to agree with this statement. I have been watching very nice 60 and 65 inch tv's for the last 10 or 15 years, but my theater didn't really grab me until I went with a big screen and projector! I have been very fortunate to put together a pretty nice sound system to go with the video as well…. movie night at my place really is better than the local theater smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 14919 Old 12-10-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyous View Post

I would have to agree with this statement. I have been watching very nice 60 and 65 inch tv's for the last 10 or 15 years, but my theater didn't really grab me until I went with a big screen and projector! I have been very fortunate to put together a pretty nice sound system to go with the video as well…. movie night at my place really is better than the local theater smile.gif
Yup, you guys suck. Lol
post #8013 of 14919 Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd918 View Post

All that I can say is that I'm going to get killed by my wife because of you. I've always lived by "garbage in, garbage out", so expecting any upscaling device to clean up the mess of compressed cable TV seems a bit of a stretch. My 4-yr-old Integra Pre/Pro does a decent job of upscaling, but if the Oppo does that much better it may be worth a try. Plus my BDP-83 has not been behaving nicely lately. Man, she really is gonna kill me if I spend another $600.

Don't wanna get you in the dog house now but seriously It won't hurt you to try it. Oppo has a 30 day return policy and you'll be out just shipping (about $25) if you don't think it's worth the upgrade and you want to return it.

I was just watching Avatar over the weekend and was mesmerized by the movie when I started tinkering with my sharpness and brightness settings as I was noticing some noise during parts of the movie. I suddenly realized that I was just watching the dvd version and not the blu ray like I thought I was. The Oppo did such a good job upscaling that it almost had me fooled. Remember that one thing Panasonic always lacked is overall video processing which still lags behind Samsung and Sony in that regard. I know people here have been talking about sound systems to compliment their video set up but I say an external video processor like the Oppo or the even cheaper DVD Edge duo is a must to make up for SD, 720p and 1080i sources. If you're only watching blu ray and HD content then it doesn't matter.

On a different topic, after about 3 days of running slides the pink hue that was originally there on the right side of the screen has completely disappeared. I don''t know how this happened and even though I never noticed it watching real world content- I'm ecstatic biggrin.gif
post #8014 of 14919 Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Ill add to the off topic Darbee talk... I'm not a fan. Mainly because i prefer watching movies the way they were intended. I don't like artificial picture scaling and enhancements. I prefer my blurays "unfiltered".

If others like the altered image, that's their choice. Not me smile.gif

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #8015 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1130 View Post

I agree with you. I think audio is more important to immersion in movies then video. But without video there's no point to audio for movies. So I did:
1) decent video (sony sxrd)
2) then for 2 years pieced together a killer audio system.
3) Now (5 years later) I'm doing awesome video to go with it.
Though I disagree with this. If investing this much in a tv, then do it right and be happy with it. If you can pay this much for TV, then it's only going to be a few months before you can pony up for a basic HTIB setup.

That said, a good audio setup will cost way more and take way more effort and work to setup properly. I don't consider a HTIB to be a "good audio" system. But I do think that it is way better then built in tv speakers (as long as it's not a Bose system...).

And, my primary hobby is racing cars. My sports car is AWD and not rwd, so frown.gif to your analogy.
I think you're both right. But the analogy should be the carribean vacation without being able to hear the waves crash when laying in your bed in the hotel, or feeling that sweet breeze when sitting on the beach. Sure the beauty is still there, but not the immersion, the tastes, the smells, the sounds...

Somewhat in keeping with the video vs. audio discussion going on here, Crutchfield is having some killer deals on Yamaha AVRs right now.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #8016 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 06:45 AM

Liked: 13
Add me to the list of prospective Oppo 103D buyers. The good thing about the 103D is that you can turn off the Darbee if you want, and still have a reference Blu Ray player, which I don't think the PS3 is considered to be (my current blu player).

While I, like others have said on here prefer my Blu Ray content untouched, I do watch a lot of movies that are only available on DVD and would be interested in what kind of new life the Darbee could breathe into those films. However I have read that the Darbee works best with content that is already HD.

Then there is the $600 price tag. Saving up for it is no problem, but I still have a Panamax unit on my wishlist, and I still need to finish up my Audio setup (need to upgrade the four rear speakers and the sub).

But hey, the way I look at it is at least I'm not spending the money on booz, drugs, or hookers wink.gif

Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT60
Onkyo TX-NR609 7.1 | Speakers: (C) Infinity PC351, (FL/FR) Infinity P363's, Sony Surrounds
post #8017 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post

Add me to the list of prospective Oppo 103D buyers. The good thing about the 103D is that you can turn off the Darbee if you want, and still have a reference Blu Ray player, which I don't think the PS3 is considered to be (my current blu player).

While I, like others have said on here prefer my Blu Ray content untouched, I do watch a lot of movies that are only available on DVD and would be interested in what kind of new life the Darbee could breathe into those films. However I have read that the Darbee works best with content that is already HD.

Then there is the $600 price tag. Saving up for it is no problem, but I still have a Panamax unit on my wishlist, and I still need to finish up my Audio setup (need to upgrade the four rear speakers and the sub).

But hey, the way I look at it is at least I'm not spending the money on booz, drugs, or hookers wink.gif

Loved the last sentence. Never have heard that justification applied to a/v stuff before...smile.gif

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #8018 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 07:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

The problem is no one understands the GENIUS that is my PERFECT analogies! biggrin.gif

You RACE cars which means you most likely drive a RACE car. RACE cars are meant to go around a track efficiently. SPORTS cars are meant to look pretty and show off to your friends/date how you can hang the tail end out like a lunatic! wink.gif.

LOL, fair enough. My car is not a chick magnet. you win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Somewhat in keeping with the video vs. audio discussion going on here, Crutchfield is having some killer deals on Yamaha AVRs right now.

Dammit, you weren't kidding. I need a new receiver, I'm just skeptical of yamaha ypao :/. why couldn't they have just stuck with audyssey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post

I'm in the same boat. I mostly watch blu-rays or play games. Despite every review loving it and throwing praises at it, I still don't get what it does. I've seen the descriptions, and the screen shots, but why wouldn't the studios have just encoded that detail into the disk if the detail really is that much better? I don't need the up-scaling of other sources, so does it really do that much to blu-rays to make it worth $600?
post #8019 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Ill add to the off topic Darbee talk... I'm not a fan. Mainly because i prefer watching movies the way they were intended. I don't like artificial picture scaling and enhancements. I prefer my blurays "unfiltered".

If others like the altered image, that's their choice. Not me smile.gif
Sounds like you haven't tried a Darbee. Both a DVD and a Blu-ray are authored "as the director intended," right? But the BD is a whole lot sharper (among other things), right? The Darbee just brings out detail that's already in the source; it doesn't add anything that isn't already there. I don't buy the "artistic purity" argument in this case, not to mention the Darbee improves things like sports and video games too, not just movies.

Hey, it's your money, but don't talk yourself out of it before you've tried it. And if you've tried it and just don't like it, so be it.
post #8020 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

You should post that in the Yamaha threads. You will get love there.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8021 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

LOL, fair enough. My car is not a chick magnet. you win.
Dammit, you weren't kidding. I need a new receiver, I'm just skeptical of yamaha ypao :/. why couldn't they have just stuck with audyssey
YPAO works just fine for me.

post #8022 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
If I didn't already have a Oppo 103 (and I wasn't up to my eyeballs in bills), the 103D would be on my short list to buy.
post #8023 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

If I didn't already have a Oppo 103 (and I wasn't up to my eyeballs in bills), the 103D would be on my short list to buy.
If you like it that much I guess Im gonna have to do some research. Might make a nice Christmas present to myself.

post #8024 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just received a 65VT60 yesterday that I ordered through Amazon. I was not really planning to purchase a new TV to replace my existing Panasonic 54G10 which I love. I had planned to go 2 more years and then upgrade to a larger plasma. However, with the recent significant price drops on the VT series and Panasonic stopping production of Plasma televisions, I did not want to miss out and have regrets later.

I've read a lot of posts here in AVS about the new series of Panasonic plasmas having extreme IR or burn-in. The one general trend I find surprising is the very high contrast settings that I see being posted here and in other threads. When I got my first plasma in 2009 every piece of advice I read said to immediately reduce the contrast to 50 or lower for the first few hundred hours. I ran that G10 set initially at a contrast setting of 38 for approximately the first 300 hours of use. I even watched some 4:3 content (not much though) and played video games during that span. I never had any significant, long-lasting IR. Only very temporary IR on occasion that went away very quickly when switching to different content. I had Chad B come and calibrate that television when it had roughly 350 hours on it, and even after doing the full calibration my contrast setting was (and still is) only set at 56, and it looks superb. To this day I have played video games on that set for extended time periods (GTA 5 recently) and have watched NFL football all day on Sundays, and I have never had an IR problem.

Now, I do have the TV in a fairly darkened, light-controlled room so I don't need the image that bright or super-punchy to be able to comfortably view it. Others who have the TV in brighter rooms probably need to have a higher-contrast setting. Maybe I just got lucky with that panel too, and obviously the VT60 series are different plasmas from my older G10. It just appears to me that many folks are running their contrast extremely high, which by everything I have ever read contributes significantly to causing IR/burn-in. I immediately put my VT60 in THX cinema mode and dropped the contrast down to 38 and kept the brightness at 50. I then ran the VT60 yesterday for several hours, including a little 4:3 content, stations w/ logos, and played some video games with my son. I looked for IR and never saw any, even when I ran the screen wiper looking for it in the white background. It's still early, but I plan to do the same thing with this panel that I did with the G10, which is to keep the contrast down around 40 for the first few hundred hours, and then get it professionally calibrated sometime next spring.
post #8025 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

If you like it that much I guess Im gonna have to do some research. Might make a nice Christmas present to myself.
I'm just an Oppo fanboy, and I've heard more good than bad about Darbee enhancements, so I'd be willing to take a $100 gamble on the hype. wink.gif
post #8026 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyous View Post

One thing is for sure the projectors of today for $3000 and up and nothing like what was made 5 years ago for the same cost, thank goodness !
post #8027 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm just an Oppo fanboy, and I've heard more good than bad about Darbee enhancements, so I'd be willing to take a $100 gamble on the hype. wink.gif
So would I. Dont know where I can get one for $100 though thats not stolen.

post #8028 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 382
he is referring to the difference in cost betwen a 103 and 103D - assuming you are in the market for an Oppo to begin with smile.gif
post #8029 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 09:59 AM

Well, in my case, I could sell the 103 for almost as much as I paid for it, so the net difference would be a little over $100. The Oppo's feature set is amazing (the latest firmware update just added gapless playback of some music files, for instance). Those are the main reasons I didn't include the other $500 in my assessment. smile.gif
post #8030 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:

Well, in my case, I could sell the 103 for almost as much as I paid for it, so the net difference would be a little over $100. The Oppo's feature set is amazing (the latest firmware update just added gapless playback of some music files, for instance). Those are the main reasons I didn't include the other $500 in my assessment. smile.gif

Vinnie you're being a bad influence on me - I have been staying away from the 103D thread for a reason as I keep trying to tell myself my 103 is more than adequate plus the advantages of the old chip for streaming when watching NETFLIX smile.gif
post #8031 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

Dammit, you weren't kidding. I need a new receiver, I'm just skeptical of yamaha ypao :/. why couldn't they have just stuck with audyssey.

I wouldn't be afraid of YPAO. Yamaha has a fantastic reputation for sound and, if anything, I'd trust their solution just as much as audyssey. IMO, audyssey is a bit over-hyped. Pioneer does their own room correction as well and it works just fine. This tech isn't magic just basic sound engineering.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #8032 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I just bought a new house and I'm about to pull the trigger on the 60VT60. My last plasma purchase was in 2005 (Panasonic PX50U) and I curious how much better the VT60 filters screen glare/ambient light? I believe the PX50U used an anti-glare coating and I've never had a huge problem with glare other than seeing lamp reflections. I realize technology has improved by leaps and bounds since my purchase 8 years ago, so I'm curious how much of a shock I'm in for with the new plasma?

post #8033 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

I wouldn't be afraid of YPAO. Yamaha has a fantastic reputation for sound and, if anything, I'd trust their solution just as much as audyssey. IMO, audyssey is a bit over-hyped. Pioneer does their own room correction as well and it works just fine. This tech isn't magic just basic sound engineering.
+1 Except I would say Audyssey is way overhyped. Especially at AVS.

post #8034 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Vinnie you're being a bad influence on me - I have been staying away from the 103D thread for a reason as I keep trying to tell myself my 103 is more than adequate plus the advantages of the old chip for streaming when watching NETFLIX smile.gif
Apologies. I don't use Netflix these days, so don't too much weight in my wishes and desires. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

+1 Except I would say Audyssey is way overhyped. Especially at AVS.
I've noticed that as well.
post #8035 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 AM

I just received my 65VT60 about a week ago. I also just upgraded my Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver (old) and my Panasonic BD-85 blu-ray. I upgraded to the Denon X-4000 and Oppo 103. When researching the Oppo 103 vs the 103D, it seems everyone I talked to said I could expect less of an impact with the VT60. Apparently, good TVs really take advantage of the Darby but excellent pictures like the VT60 isn't as noticeable.

Take it for what it's worth. I can't imagine a much clearer picture than what I have now.
post #8036 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackers View Post

I just received my 65VT60 about a week ago. I also just upgraded my Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver (old) and my Panasonic BD-85 blu-ray. I upgraded to the Denon X-4000 and Oppo 103. When researching the Oppo 103 vs the 103D, it seems everyone I talked to said I could expect less of an impact with the VT60. Apparently, good TVs really take advantage of the Darby but excellent pictures like the VT60 isn't as noticeable.

Take it for what it's worth. I can't imagine a much clearer picture than what I have now.
Maybe they said that because the screen on a plasma isn't as large as in a projection setup where I'd expect most Darblets are used? I tried the Darblet with my BDP-93/65VT60 combo and the difference was obvious when near the screen. Farther away it might not be as obvious but it would sure be noticeable. Regardless, I was impressed enough that I ordered a second Darbee for my VT60 after I'd originally planned to just use one with my projector.

Don't talk yourself out of the Darbee without first trying it. You might be surprised.
post #8037 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thats my understanding as well. They do well with projectors also it seems.

post #8038 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quick question on 3D and using the glasses.

Is a line of sight required for the glasses to work? I'm assuming not as it uses bluetooth but I wanted to check. For you audio purists- I just bought a Panasonic soundbar to compliment my set up but it's now covering the IR signal coming from the front of the display. That's why I'm checking to make sure it won't affect the 3D glasses. On the plus side I no longer have to worry about purchasing the light dims to cover that annoying red light whenever the set is on.

How's everybody enjoying the 3D aspect of the set? Reviews are mostly mixed with some saying it's really good while others say it's so-so. I'm just hoping it'll be an improvement from my 65ST50 series that I'm upgrading from. I got a couple of days till I finish running the slides and checking it out for myself biggrin.gif
post #8039 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Maybe they said that because the screen on a plasma isn't as large as in a projection setup where I'd expect most Darblets are used? I tried the Darblet with my BDP-93/65VT60 combo and the difference was obvious when near the screen. Farther away it might not be a obvious but it would sure be noticeable. Regardless, I was impressed enough that I ordered a second Darbee for my VT60 after I'd originally planned to just use one with my projector.

Don't talk yourself out of the Darbee without first trying it. You might be surprised.

Makes sense. I figured I could always add it later if it was something that I really needed. The cost of upgrading the tv, avr, and blu-ray just added up quick. Add in the wall mount, new stand, wires, etc., I figured that $100 could be spent elsewhere. I couldn't be happier.
post #8040 of 14919 Old 12-11-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackers View Post

Makes sense. I figured I could always add it later if it was something that I really needed. The cost of upgrading the tv, avr, and blu-ray just added up quick. Add in the wall mount, new stand, wires, etc., I figured that $100 could be spent elsewhere. I couldn't be happier.
I hear ya. I personally prefer to have the stand-alone Darblet than the 103D anyway if for no other reason than it makes installation a whole lot simpler if you intend to route all your devices through it. I was a big skeptic until just recently myself...my projector has e-shift, MPC, and a whole host of other "image enhancement" algorithms so I figured the Darbee wouldn't do much, but I was sure wrong.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page