Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 271 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrod2378 View Post

Sir, exchanging it is not because of the build date, it is because of the 2 small chips on the glass of the TV.

Oh, so you're buying two VT60s to keep?

" I am just wondering if I should buy a new one and have two of them delivered to see if I can get a later build or just wait for the delivery on Monday?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by forensick View Post

I'm a huge gamer and have felt no need to turn on Game Mode on the VT60 yet. Never did on my VT25 either.

I guess I should asterisk that because I don't play competitive fighters anymore or that many sports games where input lag could really matter. I just use the in-game calibrations for Rock Band/Guitar Hero but I haven't brought myself to try those on the VT60 yet so I don't know how much it might actually be off.

Circumstantial evidence that might not mean anything though: I was in the top 100 Resogun leaderboard until all the "no way these are legit" scores showed up and can almost beat it without dying. I'd think if input lag was an issue, that would be the best chance I've had to notice it so far.

Just an fyi, the VT25 and VT60 game "modes" aren't the same. VT25 had an actual GAME preset, like those of Custom, THX, etc, the VT60 has an actual game mode option in those presets, like those of C.A.T.S., Motion Smoother, etc.

Quote:

I purchased a VT60 from Best Buy in November and it is a great looking TV (Oct build)!  However some things starting going wrong with it and bottom line I called Best Buy and the guys helped in setting up a replacement coming out on Monday the 16th.  However I am just kind of freaking out about the new one coming because I am worried I won't get an Oct. or Nov. build but an earlier one version.  It seems that the Oct ones are pretty good.  Mine did not have the fix, I checked and could not see the foam under the fan but it was really low noise, could not hear it at volume 10.  I am just wondering if I should buy a new one and have two of them delivered to see if I can get a later build or just wait for the delivery on Monday? Am I just being a little paranoid since my current one is pretty good confused.gif  ?  Thanks  

Im confused. You're worried about a build date prior to October because you are worried you wont have the fan fix, but your October build doesnt have it. That just shows, there's no guarantee any date will have it. A June build will be just as good as an October build. If you ever need the fan fix, Panasonic will send someone, free of charge (under warranty), to come put the fix in place.

Your concern about the build date is meaningless.

PANASONIC VT50 FOR SALE!!!!

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #8103 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Liked: 10

What I was thinking of doing is buy another one, have it delivered to compare with the replacement one and then return one of them to keep the better of the 2.  I am just trying to see if this is too much to do to try to get a TV to replace mine that has 2 small chips on the glass.  Just sucks because it's quiet and has a great pic and the buzz is very low.  worried that the replacement would be not as good.  This is my first plasma and do not have enough knowledge to know if having small chips on the TV is going to hurt the panel.  

post #8104 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What I was thinking of doing is buy another one, have it delivered to compare with the replacement one and then return one of them to keep the better of the 2.  I am just trying to see if this is too much to do to try to get a TV to replace mine that has 2 small chips on the glass.  Just sucks because it's quiet and has a great pic and the buzz is very low.  worried that the replacement would be not as good.  This is my first plasma and do not have enough knowledge to know if having small chips on the TV is going to hurt the panel.  

You and fellow member selfmade should get together and attend some kind of meeting together.
jeffpaul likes this.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #8105 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Just an fyi, the VT25 and VT60 game "modes" aren't the same. VT25 had an actual GAME preset, like those of Custom, THX, etc, the VT60 has an actual game mode option in those presets, like those of C.A.T.S., Motion Smoother, etc.
Im confused. You're worried about a build date prior to October because you are worried you wont have the fan fix, but your October build doesnt have it. That just shows, there's no guarantee any date will have it. A June build will be just as good as an October build. If you ever need the fan fix, Panasonic will send someone, free of charge (under warranty), to come put the fix in place.

Your concern about the build date is meaningless.

My concern is that I would get a good TV just like I have now minus the small chips.  My goodness I am just stating the build date because I know with mine being Oct it is good and just hoping to get a later build.  Just going with my short experience.  

post #8106 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

My concern is that I would get a good TV just like I have now minus the small chips.  My goodness I am just stating the build date because I know with mine being Oct it is good and just hoping to get a later build.  Just going with my short experience.  

Just let them replace it due to the chips and see what you get.

Bill
post #8107 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

Just let them replace it due to the chips and see what you get.

Bill

Quote:

You and fellow member selfmade should get together and attend some kind of meeting together.

Thank you sir, a better post than saying I need to go to some kind of meeting.

post #8108 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Is it possible to see the foam from the foam fix without taking off the back?
post #8109 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM

I took a light to the back and looked into it and and only saw the foam against the grill and not against the panel.  I was a little surprised because I thought that the July/Aug builds and later were being fixed in the factory.  Bottom line is that my TV is awesome EXCEPT for the chips.  So you than kind of start thinking that if I get a replacement would it be good just like I have?  Well just like Bill mentioned just get and see how it turns out because it is out of my control just like the first one was.  The only reason I brought up getting one more was just to try to get better odds of getting a good TV so I could compare with the replacement one coming on Monday.  Maybe my mindset is a little off doing that and just go with the replacement and not get another one.  
post #8110 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

This link indicates that you can call Panasonic and they'll send a technician to fix the problem. Link

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #8111 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

This link indicates that you can call Panasonic and they'll send a technician to fix the problem. Link

Quote:

My issue that I have is not with the fan at all, the TV fan is really low.  My TV has 2 small chips and I am getting it replaced.  I just wanted to pick some members brains about possibly buying another VT and have it delivered the day after my replacement set comes to compare the two.  Just seeing if that is stupid and a waste of time to try to get another good TV?  

post #8112 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by forensick View Post

However, I've had one of those stupid minimap logos from Assassin's Creed 4 IR'ed into the corner for almost 1.5 weeks now. I'm still in denial that it could actually be burn-in, because come on, it's 2013. I had a VT25 for a couple years which IR'ed horribly but never had anything stay up more than a couple days (if you stuck your face right up to the screen). Am I just screwed or will the silly thing get around to fixing itself some day?

This is kind of disturbing. When are you checking for IR? Do you still notice the minimap when you've run other content on the screen for a while? Or is it only after you play the game? I have noticed IR on my older panasonic (v10) but it's only noticeable on black screens and goes away after I've watched some content for a while.
post #8113 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

So, you are, in fact, considering buying two to return one because of a build date. To answer your earlier question, yes, you are being paranoid.

post #8114 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

So, you are, in fact, considering buying two to return one because of a build date. To answer your earlier question, yes, you are being paranoid.

Thank you for your post sir, what my earlier post said is that I was going to buy 1 new one and than have the replacement one be delivered on Monday and have the new one I buy be delivered on Tues to compare them. Thus have both of them delivered, but no I am not keeping two.
post #8115 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:

Why not just order 4 of them so your chances are better?

Seriously, why not wait until the new one gets delivered. If something is wrong with that one then have it replaced.

I would definitley not keep a panel with chips in it. Is the replacement going to be new or refurb? Are you still in your return window?
post #8116 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Why not just order 4 of them so your chances are better?

Seriously, why not wait until the new one gets delivered. If something is wrong with that one then have it replaced.

I would definitley not keep a panel with chips in it. Is the replacement going to be new or refurb? Are you still in your return window?

Yes it is going to be a new one and I am in my window still.  I was thinking of buying 10 of them to be sure of getting a good one.
post #8117 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Isnt this the thread where we just had a discussion about how a lot of companies have changed their return policy lately?
Donat76 likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8118 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 AM

I got my 60" VT60 on Monday as an upgrade from my 50" ST60, which now resides in the bedroom. I love the ST60 but moved into a larger apartment where 50" just wasn't quite what I wanted. Got an October build, buzzing and fan noise are very minimal so far.

I'm actually impressed how well those small fans work; my ST60 gets very warm in the back while the VT60 is fairly cool everywhere except the fan grille areas.

I was just wondering if my blu-ray settings are optimal. I have the television in THX cinema, with 96hz as the refresh rate and my PS3 outputting in 1080p/24hz mode. That should give me the best film motion without weird interpolation settings correct? So far I've only watched the first two Bond films on blu-ray from the 50th Anniversy collection. They have looked fantastic considering the age of the films.
post #8119 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Yes it is going to be a new one and I am in my window still. I was thinking of buying 10 of them to be sure of getting a good one.

Surely you jest. You did have bad luck with your first one, but there's no reason to expect this will require 10 more screens to find one without chips in it. I don't think anyone else has reported this issue, have they? Why not get a replacement and see how it goes from there? You'll still be protected under the return policy for the new one..
post #8120 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 11:01 AM

Yes I was being a tiny bit sarcastic...who isn't on this site? :D  But I am going to wait for the replacement one to be delivered, will not buy another one to defy odds.  I am sure it will be fine and without chips on the screen.  Most TV's now can get a fan fix from Panasonic if needed.  I got my first taste of a VT60 plasma and just want to make sure I get another good set on Monday.  VT's are freaking amazing!!!
post #8121 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 11:04 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Yes. See attached pic. Look thru the left fan. If you see any "inner foam", you have the fix.

post #8122 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syradil View Post

I got my 60" VT60 on Monday as an upgrade from my 50" ST60, which now resides in the bedroom. I love the ST60 but moved into a larger apartment where 50" just wasn't quite what I wanted. Got an October build, buzzing and fan noise are very minimal so far.

I'm actually impressed how well those small fans work; my ST60 gets very warm in the back while the VT60 is fairly cool everywhere except the fan grille areas.

I was just wondering if my blu-ray settings are optimal. I have the television in THX cinema, with 96hz as the refresh rate and my PS3 outputting in 1080p/24hz mode. That should give me the best film motion without weird interpolation settings correct? So far I've only watched the first two Bond films on blu-ray from the 50th Anniversy collection. They have looked fantastic considering the age of the films.

Other than the grill area over the fans, I also noticed how cool the back was, even running the slides 16 hours a day.
post #8123 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by areyou4real View Post

Yes. See attached pic. Look thru the left fan. If you see any "inner foam", you have the fix.

I noticed something last night on my VT60. First, as some of you may or may not know, when you stream, your Picture Mode is In

Interesting. Well, I have a June build and I have foam that appears to be between each fan and the front (viewing side) of the TV. No foam between the backside and either fan. AND, I don't hear a thing.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #8124 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

You do need to go to a meeting on ethics to start with if you think its okay to buy multiple displays when intending to only keep the one you deem the best. Its someone like you that causes return policies to be changed which impact those of us who do not abuse them.
And, of course, it also affects prices.
Donat76 likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8125 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This guy is starting to sound like someone else we know. Suggest not encouraging things....

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #8126 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder if I might pose a more meaningful question: where do I find the “hz” setting? Does it apply to all Picture Modes?

Thanks,
Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #8127 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Isnt this the thread where we just had a discussion about how a lot of companies have changed their return policy lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

You do need to go to a meeting on ethics to start with if you think its okay to buy multiple displays when intending to only keep the one you deem the best. Its someone like you that causes return policies to be changed which impact those of us who do not abuse them.

Yep. This is why companies charge restocking fees and return policies will change for the worse. People think its ok to get multiple TVs without considering the cost to the company. These are expensive TVs, not a cheap coat you can easily return. There's a ripple effect when a TV is returned, many are effected. And to get two TVs in hopes of getting a recent build date, and returning a perfectly good TV otherwise, is disgusting to be honest. If someone like that walked into my business, id refuse to serve you.

I guess respect and morals have gone down the drain along with the financial economy....hmmmm perhaps directly related?

*steps off soapbox*

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #8128 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

I wonder if I might pose a more meaningful question: where do I find the “hz” setting? Does it apply to all Picture Modes?

Thanks,
Scott

It's under Advanced and you can have different Hz modes for each picture mode.

Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT60
Onkyo TX-NR609 7.1 | Speakers: (C) Infinity PC351, (FL/FR) Infinity P363's, Sony Surrounds
post #8129 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Liked: 11
I apologize as I know this has probably been brought up before, but after getting my VT60 all setup and falling in love with it I think it would be foolish not to get an extended warranty on it. I am a Costco member saw someone mention in the forums about the SquareTrade - 3 year additional warranty after manufacture warranty expires. It is only $99 and has good ratings but I know nothing about it. I emailed Costco to see if I could purchase the warranty even though I did not purchase my TV from Costco and they replied back I could. Just purchase it online and SquareTrade will email you with further instructions. I am a little uncomfortable with purchasing a warranty and just hoping for an email without absolutely knowing it will work. Thoughts?
post #8130 of 14727 Old 12-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Have had my 55 vt60 for one week- from amazon, great delivery from pilot,, the guy was very nice and helpful. Had to finally replace my 12 year old pioneer 50 inch plasma-- on start-up the ole screen was black, and very slow to come on. It does still has a very good picture, but could not resist getting this vt60, and very amazed at what i have been missing. I would say to anyone on the fence about getting one of these-- you will not do any better as far as i can tell. Have about 6 months time in research and playing around with other sets; Samsung plasma, and most of Pannys plasma. for me - i made the right choice. good luck with yours. mine is October build, and is very quiet.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page