Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 274 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8191 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Picture?

Ill get a pic up in a little bit.

The reflection basically appears to be between the front piece of "glass" and whatever internal screen.

It can be easily seen on the "smart viera" screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8192 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I think the reason a lot of people jumped on is because the question you posed is the reason why everyone here thinks companies are changing their return policies and making it harder for people to return TV's. I for one understand where you are coming from......

But what he was asking was certainly an ethical question.

Do I take delivery of two sets, open both of them (which is the only way to find the build date) and return which ever one he doesn't like for some arbitrary reason.

That costs retailers money as the set is no longer new.

If you don't think that's wrong (not you personally, people at large) than ok.

I just think asking the question speaks volumes about someone's character. So to get hostile and tell others they shouldn't judge you is inappropriate.

They do now know something about him because of the question.

IMO if you have to come on here and ask others for their opinion on such matters he should expect the kind of responses he got.
post #8193 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 07:00 PM

Liked: 10
Hey all, I have a quick question. When I input the CNET picture settings they last for a day or two, then disappear and then the settings reset. How do I get the setting changes to stick on my 65VT60?

Thank you.
post #8194 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 07:04 PM

My 65" VT just arrived today. What a thing of beauty. I bought this sight unseen and solely based on the feedback from here on AVS. Thank you all so much!

My build date is August 2013 and it was purchased from ABT. I can barely hear the fans when standing next to the TV, with it muted. So that's great news.

Now I just need to find the posts that walks through how to set this up correctly. And I need to find the slides to get them running. So much to do... but so much fun!

Oh, by the way... this is a heavy TV with the stand on it. Definitely had a little trouble getting it onto the stand with my wife. I don't ever want to move it again smile.gif
post #8195 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouV68 View Post

Don't quote me on this, but I went into Costco last Sunday and I'm almost certain I saw HUGO 3D for $13.99 or $16.99 I paid $34 for this used a while back. Feeling burned!

You did - $13.99. Always a cost to being an early adopter smile.gif
post #8196 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg2003gt View Post

Ill get a pic up in a little bit.

The reflection basically appears to be between the front piece of "glass" and whatever internal screen.

It can be easily seen on the "smart viera" screen

This would be one of the primary differences between the vt60 and the zt60. There is a gap between the glass and screen with the vt60, and none with the zt60. (Saw this mentioned as a possibility in a review of the vt60, you've just turned this possibility into reality.)

One of those things you have to really be looking for, probably should just not sit to the side if you don't want to see it.
post #8197 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 07:37 PM

Liked: 13

My 65VT60 is arriving tomorrow between 12 and 5. looking forward to it and fingers crossed it's a keeper!

post #8198 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake518 View Post

My 65" VT just arrived today. What a thing of beauty. I bought this sight unseen and solely based on the feedback from here on AVS. Thank you all so much!

My build date is August 2013 and it was purchased from ABT. I can barely hear the fans when standing next to the TV, with it muted. So that's great news.

Now I just need to find the posts that walks through how to set this up correctly. And I need to find the slides to get them running. So much to do... but so much fun!

Oh, by the way... this is a heavy TV with the stand on it. Definitely had a little trouble getting it onto the stand with my wife. I don't ever want to move it again smile.gif

I too received my set today… its a July build date, but at this point I don't notice a loud fan noise. I can hear it if I put my ear up to the back of the set, but nothing I am concerned about.

The set looks great, I can't wait to get it set up for everyday viewing. I just started running the D-Nice slides, so I probably won't put it into service until sometime early next week. Good thing I was able to get my Kuro running again last night… and I thought it was a goner for good eek.gif
post #8199 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 08:03 PM

Liked: 12
This might be a weird question, but I was stuck on 1080i before with my old TV so I'm not sure what to do now with my VT60 and my cable box. I have Comcast's new X1 platform DVR and for 1080P there are two options, 30hz or 60hz. I set it to 60 but I'm wondering if that is correct and/or what would the difference even be? I do understand the 24p thing for blu-ray for the most part and have that input set to 24p/96hz but I'm unsure what to do with the 30 vs. 60 for the DVR.

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Yamaha HTR-5450 | Velodyne CHT series satellites/center | Velodyne CHT-8 sub | Sony BDP-S550 | XBox 360 | Logitech Harmony Touch | Comcast (Pace) PX001ANM "X1 platform"
post #8200 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 08:38 PM

Liked: 16

How loud should the fans be with the slides on?

post #8201 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

So, it seems the concern over the newest firmware update re: picture quality isn't an issue. I saw a few posts about it, then someone keeping count said there was really only 1 person standing by (or not refuting, at least) their initial concern. Anyone else notice anything funky with the firmware update?

Mine is all set up...watching some content after about 50 hours of slides. DNice should be calibrating in January. Really loving the TV. Wish it were completely silent. The buzzing is next to nothing (better than any plasma I've owned), which is the most important to me. The fan noise is noticeable from 12 feet in a quiet room, but completely disappears during normal viewing (just wondering if it will rear its head during "dialogue-heavy movies"...but I doubt it since I think even dialogue with no soundtrack will drown it out). Fantastic TV....so, anyone else holding off from updating the firmware?
post #8202 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Not a problem here.

post #8203 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

So, it seems the concern over the newest firmware update re: picture quality isn't an issue. I saw a few posts about it, then someone keeping count said there was really only 1 person standing by (or not refuting, at least) their initial concern. Anyone else notice anything funky with the firmware update?

Mine is all set up...watching some content after about 50 hours of slides. DNice should be calibrating in January. Really loving the TV. Wish it were completely silent. The buzzing is next to nothing (better than any plasma I've owned), which is the most important to me. The fan noise is noticeable from 12 feet in a quiet room, but completely disappears during normal viewing (just wondering if it will rear its head during "dialogue-heavy movies"...but I doubt it since I think even dialogue with no soundtrack will drown it out). Fantastic TV....so, anyone else holding off from updating the firmware?

Do you really need to run 50 hours of slides before watching any content? Some people on this thread seem to think it's ok to watch in Cinema mode out of the box. I don't have space to break in my 65VT in another room, so I'm hoping I can just break it in through normal viewing. I was thinking Cinema mode during normal viewing and then running slides overnight. Would that be harmful for the TV?

edit: Also, do I need to set the brightness way down for the first 100 hrs? I remember doing this with my V10 and I hated having to do so..
post #8204 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

But what he was asking was certainly an ethical question.

Do I take delivery of two sets, open both of them (which is the only way to find the build date) and return which ever one he doesn't like for some arbitrary reason.

That costs retailers money as the set is no longer new.

If you don't think that's wrong (not you personally, people at large) than ok.

I just think asking the question speaks volumes about someone's character. So to get hostile and tell others they shouldn't judge you is inappropriate.

They do now know something about him because of the question.

IMO if you have to come on here and ask others for their opinion on such matters he should expect the kind of responses he got.

That is pretty sad that asking a question to knowledgeable people on here about a situation would have people know your character and how you are as an individual instead of talking to me. I never said I would do it, I was picking peoples minds. So doing that makes you know how I am? That is sad for you to judge me just off of a question. I guess some people on here don't ever make mistakes in life. So that speaks volume about your character if your going to make a comment like that. I have the right to make a statement about you if you make one about me.
post #8205 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 09:43 PM
fcb
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsofwei View Post

Do you really need to run 50 hours of slides before watching any content? Some people on this thread seem to think it's ok to watch in Cinema mode out of the box. I don't have space to break in my 65VT in another room, so I'm hoping I can just break it in through normal viewing. I was thinking Cinema mode during normal viewing and then running slides overnight. Would that be harmful for the TV?

edit: Also, do I need to set the brightness way down for the first 100 hrs? I remember doing this with my V10 and I hated having to do so..

The Panasonic manual says nothing about break in or slides,
therefor you don't need them.
Spiderman865 likes this.

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.
Just ain't enough good stuff!

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #8206 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never done it before. I did it this time because it was going to be ~3 days before I could wall mount the tv so I figured "why not". I don't think it is necessary, but I just wanted to age the panel a bit to reduce the risk of IR (I know they say not to use the slides as "break in", but really..we know that IR is more prevalent during the first couple hundred hours, so why not put up homogenous slides if you're not using the tv?)
post #8207 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

The Panasonic manual says nothing about break in or slides,
therefor you don't need them.

It almost seems a superstition at this point! I have no idea if running half brightness for 100 hrs made any difference with my V10!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

I've never done it before. I did it this time because it was going to be ~3 days before I could wall mount the tv so I figured "why not". I don't think it is necessary, but I just wanted to age the panel a bit to reduce the risk of IR (I know they say not to use the slides as "break in", but really..we know that IR is more prevalent during the first couple hundred hours, so why not put up homogenous slides if you're not using the tv?)

Who says not to run slides as break in? I've heard so many people saying that the slides are *how* you break it in.. I'm so confused...
post #8208 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I just meant that, if I recall correctly, there is a big notice at the top of DNices slide post saying they are not designed for "break in", etc....was never quite sure why not though!
post #8209 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 PM
fcb
Advanced Member

Quote:

It almost seems a superstition at this point! I have no idea if running half brightness for 100 hrs made any difference with my V10!
Who says not to run slides as break in? I've heard so many people saying that the slides are *how* you break it in.. I'm so confused...

I simply ran my tv as I would any other. I tried various other people's settings, but none looked better
than THX mode, warm 1.
Just be careful of fixed logos and whatnot as these plasmas are prone to image retention.
Some say the first 100 or 300 hrs for that; I would say forever.

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #8210 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 10:09 PM
fcb
Advanced Member

Quote:

The calibrator who started the VT60 settings thread is the ONLY person who recommended running slides,
and then only if you used his settings that he said he would list below.
He never listed the settings "below".

Fred

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

post #8211 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, let me just say I am in no way promoting, or recommending against, the use of slides....I just noted that I did use them, but I am not qualified to argue either way. (I know how things can spiral out of control on these boards with unintended interpretations smile.gif)
post #8212 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 10:27 PM

Liked: 16
How loud should the buzzing be when running the slides? I have a 65vt60 and when running the slides I can hear the buzzing at least 8 feet away if it's quiet. The tv isn't against a wall but sitting in the middle of the room, not sure if against the wall will make it better or worse with the sound bouncing off. No fan noise just buzzing, louder with whiter pictures
post #8213 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

I simply ran my tv as I would any other. I tried various other people's settings, but none looked better
than THX mode, warm 1.
Just be careful of fixed logos and whatnot as these plasmas are prone to image retention.
Some say the first 100 or 300 hrs for that; I would say forever.

It worries me since a lot of people do say you should baby the panel for the first 100 hours. I'm a pretty big gamer and worry about burning in HUD elements from games in the first hours of having the TV... Am I being overly paranoid?
post #8214 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonrod2378 View Post

That is pretty sad that asking a question to knowledgeable people on here about a situation would have people know your character and how you are as an individual instead of talking to me. I never said I would do it, I was picking peoples minds. So doing that makes you know how I am? That is sad for you to judge me just off of a question.

I'll bite.

You asked the question that asks for people to condone actions that some find objectionable.

Coming in here, asking that question, and then getting bent out of shape with others reactions shows that you didn't think there is anything wrong with abusing a companies return policy (that's my opinion of what you would be doing by buying an extra display, knowing you would have to open it, and knowing you would be returning one of the two, which would then cause the retailer to take a loss on a set they can no longer sell as new.)
Quote:
I guess some people on here don't ever make mistakes in life. So that speaks volume about your character if your going to make a comment like that. I have the right to make a statement about you if you make one about me

I'll be the first to admit that I make mistakes, in both my personal and professional life.

I try very hard, however, to do the right thing when faced with choices... not taking advantage of others, people or companies, is a choice, not a "mistake."

Since you can't see how what you propose doing is objectionable to many other consumers, it does say something about your character... if you don't understand that small snippets of text define who you are in this virtual community, I can't help you.

Best of luck with your new set... hope it suits you well.
Quote:

I am just wondering if I should buy a new one and have two of them delivered to see if I can get a later build or just wait for the delivery on Monday? Am I just being a little paranoid since my current one is pretty good confused.gif ?

No, I don't think it would be right to order another set, open it, check the build date, and decide to return one of the two sets based on which one is a later build.

And yes, you are being paranoid... oh, sorry... didn't mean to "judge" you. rolleyes.gif

PS. I just received my 65" VT60 a week ago... it is an April build and suffers from the fan issue. Otherwise perfect. Panasonic is sending a tech tomorrow to install the foam fix.
Donat76 likes this.
post #8215 of 14749 Old 12-12-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I'll bite.

You asked the question that asks for people to condone actions that some find objectionable.

Coming in here, asking that question, and then getting bent out of shape with others reactions shows that you didn't think there is anything wrong with abusing a companies return policy (that's my opinion of what you would be doing by buying an extra display, knowing you would have to open it, and knowing you would be returning one of the two, which would then cause the retailer to take a loss on a set they can no longer sell as new.)
I'll be the first to admit that I make mistakes, in both my personal and professional life.

I try very hard, however, to do the right thing when faced with choices... not taking advantage of others, people or companies, is a choice, not a "mistake."

Since you can't see how that is objectionable to many other consumers, it does say something about your character... if you don't understand that small snippets of text define who you are in this virtual community, I can't help you.

Best of luck with your new set... hope it suits you well.
No, I don't think it would be right to order another set, open it, check the build date, and decide to return one of the two sets based on which one is a later build.

And yes, you are being paranoid... oh, sorry... didn't mean to "judge" you. rolleyes.gif

PS. I just received my 65" VT60 a week ago... it is an April build and suffers from the fan issue. Otherwise perfect. Panasonic is sending a tech tomorrow to install the foam fix.

I'm not trying to fight with anyone on here, I just do not believe that my character can be judged by a question. I ask because I read on other forums where someone ordered 2 tvs from 2 different places for whatever reason. I came on here to see what people thought. However my mind is to wait for the new set on Monday and hope it is awesome like the one I have now. Did I think about getting another set? Sure, but logic came in and I realize it would be dumb to do it. So what does that say about my character? By the way go ahead and judge me for being paranoid. I second it! I just want to enjoy my VT.
post #8216 of 14749 Old 12-13-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg2003gt View Post

Guys, when you have text on the TV when it starts or during a show, can you see a reflection when viewing from the side?
Most Panasonic models have two sheets of glass so if you look at the screen from sharp angles, then you may be able to see a double image of white lettering on a black background. People with sharper eyes than mine may be able to see other images behaving the same way. That's why Pioneer Kuro sets and the current ZT sets were done with a single sheet of glass or a fused pair without a gap.
Donat76 likes this.
post #8217 of 14749 Old 12-13-2013, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude View Post

How loud should the buzzing be when running the slides? I have a 65vt60 and when running the slides I can hear the buzzing at least 8 feet away if it's quiet. The tv isn't against a wall but sitting in the middle of the room, not sure if against the wall will make it better or worse with the sound bouncing off. No fan noise just buzzing, louder with whiter pictures

I can hear buzzing from that distance. I experienced the same thing with two ST50s last year. I have really good hearing, which is a blessing and a curse. It's not ideal, but out of all the issues a TV can have buzzing isn't that bad.
post #8218 of 14749 Old 12-13-2013, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

It worries me since a lot of people do say you should baby the panel for the first 100 hours. I'm a pretty big gamer and worry about burning in HUD elements from games in the first hours of having the TV... Am I being overly paranoid?

It's a valid concern. IR can be an issue with some VT60 panels and not for others. Not sure why.

Last year when I had a ST50 (I think possibility of IR is similar to VT60) for a short period I experienced IR. After running the slides and while running full screen content I accidentally left the main menu for "Up" on screen for 15-20 minutes. It took 8-10 hours of running a couple Pixar films to remove it. However, I played FIFA and Skyrim a few times, though not more than an hour at at time, and no IR.

When I do start gaming on my VT60 I will warm the TV up for a bit with full screen content. I've seen mentioned several times that plasmas can be more susceptible to IR when first turned on.

Fortunately I have a LCD monitor that I game a lot on. I use it for online multiplayer and FIFA. My VT60 will be mostly for single player games or games like Borderlands 2 where input lag isn't as crucial.
post #8219 of 14749 Old 12-13-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

It's a valid concern. IR can be an issue with some VT60 panels and not for others. Not sure why.

Last year when I had a ST50 (I think possibility of IR is similar to VT60) for a short period I experienced IR. After running the slides and while running full screen content I accidentally left the main menu for "Up" on screen for 15-20 minutes. It took 8-10 hours of running a couple Pixar films to remove it. However, I played FIFA and Skyrim a few times, though not more than an hour at at time, and no IR.

When I do start gaming on my VT60 I will warm the TV up for a bit with full screen content. I've seen mentioned several times that plasmas can be more susceptible to IR when first turned on.

Fortunately I have a LCD monitor that I game a lot on. I use it for online multiplayer and FIFA. My VT60 will be mostly for single player games or games like Borderlands 2 where input lag isn't as crucial.

Hm interesting. Thanks for sharing. Do you find that input lag is a big problem on the VT60? This thread seems mixed on the issue. I've heard without game mode on it's as high as 100ms.. and around 40ms with game mode on. This is kind of a bummer. I have a V10 plasma and it doesn't have much input lag, even with game mode turned off.

edit: formatting
post #8220 of 14749 Old 12-13-2013, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

That is pretty sad that asking a question to knowledgeable people on here about a situation would have people know your character and how you are as an individual instead of talking to me. I never said I would do it, I was picking peoples minds. So doing that makes you know how I am? That is sad for you to judge me just off of a question. I guess some people on here don't ever make mistakes in life. So that speaks volume about your character if your going to make a comment like that. I have the right to make a statement about you if you make one about me.

By my count, people have now spent what, five hours of their lives on this? I figured therefore I'd maybe be the first to start a brand new day with it...wink.gif
Dude, you have your answers. Do want you want and give us a break.

As for the slide/break-in questions, if you look up my name, you'll find a thread I started that addresses it.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page