Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 280 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8371 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1130 View Post

I also bought my first dell lcd 8 years ago. And you're right, I remember having some troubles when gaming. I don't know though that it was all due to the change in input lag. Everyone made a huge deal about that at the time, and while I admit that you will end up in situations where 1/40th of a second is the difference between life or death, I don't think that it's often enough to really cause a noticeable drop in k/d ratio.

Many people were trying to drive much higher resolution screens with the same hardware leading to a lower frame rate. Those LCDs were awesome at the time, but they had horrible pixel response and contrast. People were dealing with screen tear and other issue that all meant you had to work harder to interpret what you were seeing.

I just think there's more to the story then simply 25ms of lag completely destroying your gaming ability. Think about how tiny of an amount of time 25ms really is. I'm not saying it's not noticeable, but even with how often FPS games put you in situations requiring fast response, i doubt that 25ms often is the difference between life or death.

Does it all add up though? sure, and if I were a way more hardcore gamer then I am now I'd do absolutely everything I could to minimize sources of lag. But for 99% of users I doubt the lag is what is holding them back while gaming. And not to mention the other factors, like that the better the PQ the faster you'll react. For instance, I got to play on a friend's setup running a 120fps display. I loved how for fast paced first person shooters the added frames and detail made a difference. When making rapid camera movements you could actually make out detail that would normal be blurred a bit at 60fps. The difference in feel had nothing to do with input lag.

Well said.

While I still put an emphasis on I out latency I really like your point about higher frame rates = more information. It's exactly the point I was trying to make about 4k a few posts earlier. More resolution isn't the only answer: higher frame rates help to bring more information to our eyes are as just as important-- if not more-- than resolution is when quantifying WHAT we see. I think this goes for games as well as shows and movies.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8372 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

You bet, they want you to buy a 1080P set first wink.gif

As I don't have an extra 9 grand just lying around... smile.gif

Btw, do you guys plan on changing your name now that plasma is quickly becoming outmoded? I showed a friend my new display the other day and she asked what made it so special. I told her it was one of the best plasmas ever made, she responded: "they still make plasmas??"

It's unbelievable how panasonic allowed 'plasma' to be fall out of the consumers consciousness. I'd add samsung and lg as being as responsible but the truth is they didn't hinge their survivals on the tech.

--Carl Sagan
post #8373 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I was very happy with my 65VT60. Phenomenal picture, quiet and beautiful but i have an issue. Two actually but only one that is pertinent to the TV. The other has to do with my system. There is a small scratch (hairline) about 11 inches from the bottom and 15 from the right side. I can't see it from where I sit about 10 feet in front unless I shine a very powerful flashlight from my sitting position and then only if I know where to look. I bought the TV from ABT and just called them. I am getting a call back since the guy said we'll email you a UPS label and once we get it back we'll send you a new one. I said that it was sent by a private trucker since it's huge and to replace it they have to send me a new one and remove this one simultaneously. Now I'm thinking if I should try to get an accommodation in the form of discount? What do you guys think? You've all been so helpful with so much good advice. skro, sargon, Cleveland Plasma just to name a few and I apologize for forgetting anyone. I really can't see the scratch at all but it shouldn't be there. I'd hate to dismount it from the wall and remount another.

My other problem is that my Pioneer VSX-74Txi won't pass through my PS3's signal anymore. It 'sees" the 1080P ability and  sends this signal if I pop in a Blu ray but the Pioneer won't pass it throug. It will pass through netflix through the PS3 and I can see all the other apps etc. I was able to see Blu Ray direct from the PS3 to the TV but the sound is awful and couldn't watch anything like that. Before you guys tell me to upgrade my receiver please note that i have a Krell KAV-400xi integrated amp that handles the front left and right. I know a new receiver or a player with analogue sound out would do it but I'm thinking a firmware revision would "fix" the receiver. Any thoughts on that? 

Sargon 1 likes this.
post #8374 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 08:38 AM

I also already have about 40 hours worth of D-nice slides on it.

post #8375 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 AM

Liked: 38
Samsura Blu-ray Looks OMG amazing so glad i got it Whats your top 5 Must see on vt60......smile.gifsmile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
post #8376 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 10:19 AM

Liked: 99
 P.S. SeLfMaDe111985,your keen observance about things has me especially interested in what you find out.

Well Sargon,

Idk if that was sarcasm or not but either way I am no professional like some of the guys in here but there expertise have helped me greatly since about 2008 when I made my first purchase of a plasma. (pioneer threads at the time). I am very observant and obviously know what I like and with the help
Of these forums now know what to look for and what is considered "accurate". Besides the questions in here since I'm very new to panasonic, when I had my pioneer purchased I did my own research on things. Such as modes PQ black levels etc etc...

Anyway I retract what I said about the 60 looking better. Another eye trick. The 65" is one beautiful display and even without the discount i got with Amazon it still would have been worth it. The detail and color and depth of black and the depth of the picture are gorgeous. Now just have to get some nice 1:85:1 blu rays or 2:35:1 widescreen blu rays. The letterbox films are great but i love using the whole screen it just is jaw dropping. Glad I finally got the biggest and my experience purchasing it was a little up and down but finally got what I wanted. And thanks to the guys here who have also helped me greatly. I think I give them a good
Laugh here and there even though most of the time they are not laughing with me wink.gif.

One dumb question though. 3:2 pulldown is suppose to set to auto with Dnice settings. But when the TV is in 96hz mode the option is not able to be selected it is just set to off and greyed out. Now is this do to the fact that the VT60 properly handles 24p sources at 1080p. And is 3:2 pulldown only good for TVs that can not properly handle 24p sources such as a 60hz TV. And since the setting for DNICES recommendations is set to auto does this mean I should keep the TV I'm 60hz mode during break in?

I saw a nice post on some cheap blu rays as well. Thanks for the info. I know 2:40:1 is always letterbox but some 2:35:1 blu rays are full screen for instance Chain Reaction (yes oldschool) is 2:35:1 Widescreen. But some other 2:35:1 are letter box. Anyone have a link or something in there signature for some great Blu rays? I Remember a few years back there being a blu ray tier thread with great recommendations.
post #8377 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 10

I just my VT60 all setup and had a quick question. I really like that you can save picture settings to each input, it's a great feature for switching between movies, games, day/night, etc. However, I have a receiver hooked up with all inputs going into it, and then one (HDMI 1) feeding into the TV. Since this is the case, the TV sees all my connections (e.g., Xbox, Playstation, Blu-ray) as one input. Is there any way to save picture settings when everything is hooked into a receiver? For example, I want to switch from watching a movie on my Blu-ray player with THX picture settings, to some custom settings for playing Xbox. As it stands, I have to go into the picture settings each time I switch and manually change these. Not the end of the world, but just wanted to see if anyone else has come across a solution. 

post #8378 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 10:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

I've got some specs like this too that are exactly like you describe. However, nothing is perfect. I'd let it go. You'll probably end up regretting it if you get a replacement if that is all you see. I guarantee that the more you look, the more imperfections you will notice. I've noticed a lot of people with borderline OCD on this forum. If you get a replacement, chances are you will find something really minor with that one too and you will regret that you didn't just keep the first one. Trust me.

Everything and I mean everything I have purchased in my whole life has a scratch, scuff mark or minor imperfection.smile.gif

borderline?
post #8379 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpaul View Post

borderline?

I was about to say: just being on this forum is reason enough for the shrinks to come whisk us away! smile.gif
Donat76 likes this.

--Carl Sagan
post #8380 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbados11 View Post

I was very happy with my 65VT60. Phenomenal picture, quiet and beautiful but i have an issue. Two actually but only one that is pertinent to the TV. The other has to do with my system. There is a small scratch (hairline) about 11 inches from the bottom and 15 from the right side. I can't see it from where I sit about 10 feet in front unless I shine a very powerful flashlight from my sitting position and then only if I know where to look. I bought the TV from ABT and just called them. I am getting a call back since the guy said we'll email you a UPS label and once we get it back we'll send you a new one. I said that it was sent by a private trucker since it's huge and to replace it they have to send me a new one and remove this one simultaneously. Now I'm thinking if I should try to get an accommodation in the form of discount? What do you guys think? You've all been so helpful with so much good advice. skro, sargon, Cleveland Plasma just to name a few and I apologize for forgetting anyone. I really can't see the scratch at all but it shouldn't be there. I'd hate to dismount it from the wall and remount another.

My other problem is that my Pioneer VSX-74Txi won't pass through my PS3's signal anymore. It 'sees" the 1080P ability and  sends this signal if I pop in a Blu ray but the Pioneer won't pass it throug. It will pass through netflix through the PS3 and I can see all the other apps etc. I was able to see Blu Ray direct from the PS3 to the TV but the sound is awful and couldn't watch anything like that. Before you guys tell me to upgrade my receiver please note that i have a Krell KAV-400xi integrated amp that handles the front left and right. I know a new receiver or a player with analogue sound out would do it but I'm thinking a firmware revision would "fix" the receiver. Any thoughts on that? 

Replace it. Do not take a discount. You'll always see it.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #8381 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

some are confused between IR and Burn In, and think they have Burn In when they really don't. Some obsess over IR that can only be seen on the slides. If its not seen under normal viewing, don't worry. Ive had IR on every Panasonic Plasma I've owned (5) and only once did i get Burn In, that was a VT30, and was mainly my fault for leaving ESPN on for several hours one day. If you're smart and use common sense, you wont have issues. You will get IR, its inevitable, but it goes away.

Thanks for the really thoughtful answers. Very very helpful. Leaving ESPN on for several hours doesn't seem that extreme to me. What exactly burned in? And how long did you leave the channel on for? Was it really permanent? I've definitely watched hours of ESPN on my 54V10 and not had burn-in issues... but then again, I do tend to switch channels or check the guide during commercials...
post #8382 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 04:49 PM

Liked: 10
Just experienced something very strange with my VT60. While watching tv, all of a sudden the color changed to like a very blueish tone where skin tones were VERY pale and lips were blue, almost kind of like blue only mode but not quite that severe. I changed channels and it was still going on. I said a silent prayer while turning the tv off and back on again and thank goodness it was gone. Anyone else ever experience something like this? I'm just hoping its not something that starts to happen frequently or something.

Just thought of something: I am using a Darbee Darblet -- perhaps that could more likely be the culprit.
post #8383 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 428

I watched the extended version of The Wolverine last night (haven't watched the 3D theatrical version yet). Reference quality disc. Absolutely striking contrast that really shows off just how crucial deep blacks are to display a jaw dropping image.

I also watched Revenge of the Sith last night too - another good demo disc.

The Hobbit looks absolutely outstanding, as well. I have the extended 3D version I am going to get to this week. cool.gif

post #8384 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:02 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys! I've had my VT60 for about a week and I'm still in awe of the picture. I had a pretty bad CEVA delivery experience (they missed two time windows and did not want me to open the box to inspect it). I reached out to Amazon just to let them know and they said they are investigating the issue and will not let it happen again. They also refunded me $70. Very impressed, as usual, with Amazon's service. Someone recommended to me on these forums I should contact Amazon about my experience and I am glad I did.

I own two older Panasonic plasma's and the first couple months I noticed IR when watching news or espn on the older units. So far with the VT60 I haven't noticed any IR and I have watched full length football and basketball games (3-4 hrs) nonstop. It seems to me at least that Panasonic has improved the IR on their 2013 models. Very impressed!

I am really enjoying the THX Cinema mode with normal TV viewing and Bluray. I bumped up the contrast by 10 and changed Warm 2 to Warm 1. The colors look very realistic (especially skin tones). I'm still running D' Nice slides when I'm at work though I don't really think it's necessary. However, I did it with my previous two plasma's which still work great today, so that is why I'm still doing it... might as well!

I do think I am going to purchase the squaretrade warranty from Costco for $99 for an additional 3 year after manufacture warranty expires. I feel it would be foolish not too. Thank you all for the help! - Newbie
post #8385 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IINEWBIEII View Post

Hey guys! I've had my VT60 for about a week and I'm still in awe of the picture. I had a pretty bad CEVA delivery experience (they missed two time windows and did not want me to open the box to inspect it). I reached out to Amazon just to let them know and they said they are investigating the issue and will not let it happen again. They also refunded me $70. Very impressed, as usual, with Amazon's service. Someone recommended to me on these forums I should contact Amazon about my experience and I am glad I did.

I own two older Panasonic plasma's and the first couple months I noticed IR when watching news or espn on the older units. So far with the VT60 I haven't noticed any IR and I have watched full length football and basketball games (3-4 hrs) nonstop. It seems to me at least that Panasonic has improved the IR on their 2013 models. Very impressed!

I am really enjoying the THX Cinema mode with normal TV viewing and Bluray. I bumped up the contrast by 10 and changed Warm 2 to Warm 1. The colors look very realistic (especially skin tones). I'm still running D' Nice slides when I'm at work though I don't really think it's necessary. However, I did it with my previous two plasma's which still work great today, so that is why I'm still doing it... might as well!

I do think I am going to purchase the squaretrade warranty from Costco for $99 for an additional 3 year after manufacture warranty expires. I feel it would be foolish not too. Thank you all for the help! - Newbie

I had a similar experience with CEVA - although they offered to set the TV up and when they did, they laid the TV face down on the box with no barrier, and then proceeded to leave a screw out of the stand. They were also 6 hours late. Amazon didnt help me out at all, although I didnt call.

Other than that - this is the best looking TV I have ever seen. I dont care what they next best technology is - this will keep me happy for at least 10 years.
post #8386 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsofwei View Post

Thanks for the really thoughtful answers. Very very helpful. Leaving ESPN on for several hours doesn't seem that extreme to me. What exactly burned in? And how long did you leave the channel on for? Was it really permanent? I've definitely watched hours of ESPN on my 54V10 and not had burn-in issues... but then again, I do tend to switch channels or check the guide during commercials...

My pleasure.

The ESPN logo in the bottom right corner was burned in. Could clearly see it during normal viewing. I think it was an ESPN baseball triple header, so about 9+ hours. I was really stupid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #8387 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I have a Fox Sports logo IR situation now after today's games. Shoulda' bought the BB ext. warranty, but I wasn't expecting to be a football fanatic this season (fantasy FB is to blame). Panasonic is more susceptible than most to IR.
post #8388 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I have a Fox Sports logo IR situation now after today's games. Shoulda' bought the BB ext. warranty, but I wasn't expecting to be a football fanatic this season (fantasy FB is to blame). Panasonic is more susceptible than most to IR.
My kid watches Dinsey Junior a lot and we can keep it on for hours in the background. The word Junior does cause IR when throwing the slides on but running the slides for 5-10 minutes has gotten rid of it completely so far. I have only had the TV for a little over a week. To me that is not a problem yet and let's me know that running anything else will clear it up. It also is not bad enough to see over another program.

I will only be concerned if I am unable to clear it up within reason and that is after I bust out the big guns, Disney WOW pixel flipper. If I do not even have to go to that disc I definitley will not worry about it yet.

I am using the THX cinema mode and have not changed anything with the settings on it. I haven't found it necessary to even raise the contrast over the default 60 during the day.
post #8389 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:42 PM

Liked: 32

:D

Matey's, If ye liek me posts, I pander,
for two thumbs up when ye take a gander! Aaarh! - Sargy
post #8390 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

My pleasure.

The ESPN logo in the bottom right corner was burned in. Could clearly see it during normal viewing. I think it was an ESPN baseball triple header, so about 9+ hours. I was really stupid.

Interesting.. that still seems like a relatively short amount of time for burn-in.. unless the set's contrast/brightness were set fairly high?

Do extended warranties (like SquareTrade) cover burn-in at all? Or does Panasonic's standard warranty cover burn-in, for that matter?
post #8391 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post

I need a Sage11 fix.

I love how you think, the way you write and express your positions on things. I especially like how you go beyond the necessaries (setup etc) sometimes. I have read encouragements from others to people to just enjoy their tvs. I think it's great advice. But if that were the sole concern, after getting our setup and calibration questions answered, do we really need to be on this post then?

Enlthusiastss, whether audiophiles, photography buffs etc. enjoy the discussions, the exploration, the positions, the observations, and sometimes philosophy regarding their hobby. You are not just an owner; your a thinker, and when the two are combined - the result is very intoxicating - someone speaking very artistically and intelligently about something i love and own. Those not interested in that sort of thing can merely skip over your posts that address these things, but I WON'T  be one of them. 

I don't have a specific question for you but I would like to hear more from you about your interests, observations, and passions regarding these present tvs, the future, as well as the film industry.etc.

Thanks.
Not knocking what you are saying but sounds more like a private message conversion then a VT60 converstaion. Just by saying that if people don't want to read it to skip over it does not mean it belongs in this thread.
post #8392 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

My kid watches Dinsey Junior a lot and we can keep it on for hours in the background. The word Junior does cause IR when throwing the slides on but running the slides for 5-10 minutes has gotten rid of it completely so far. I have only had the TV for a little over a week. To me that is not a problem yet and let's me know that running anything else will clear it up. It also is not bad enough to see over another program.

I will only be concerned if I am unable to clear it up within reason and that is after I bust out the big guns, Disney WOW pixel flipper. If I do not even have to go to that disc I definitley will not worry about it yet.

I am using the THX cinema mode and have not changed anything with the settings on it. I haven't found it necessary to even raise the contrast over the default 60 during the day.
The contrast was at 60 during the entire game tenure. I just jumped straight to the pixel flipper. Now someone is watching some Firefly in the household, so I'll see if it's still visible in an hour or two.
post #8393 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Interesting.. that still seems like a relatively short amount of time for burn-in.. unless the set's contrast/brightness were set fairly high?

Do extended warranties (like SquareTrade) cover burn-in at all? Or does Panasonic's standard warranty cover burn-in, for that matter?
There is no known warranty coverage that includes burn-in other than Best Buy (another reason for its higher cost).
post #8394 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I had an issue with the Fox logo during baseball season; run the Disney pixel flipper with contrast at 100 - it helped significantly and virtually removed it.

I did opt for the two year Best Buy warranty - but that was more of a pre-empt for me in case yellow blobs return on the 60 series. If I had to replace my VT60 next year for something else, I have no clue what I would do. eek.gif

post #8395 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only warranty that I know of that covers burn-in is Best Buys extended warranty. The manufacturers due not cover this and if it happens they blame it on the user as abusing the TV. Other extended warranties will not cover this either as they usually cover what the manufacturer covers.
post #8396 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Not knocking what you are saying but sounds more like a private message conversion then a VT60 converstaion. Just by saying that if people don't want to read it to skip over it does not mean it belongs in this thread.
Indeed...weird post. Bromance alert?
eric3316 likes this.
post #8397 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:53 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I had an issue with the Fox logo during baseball season; run the Disney pixel flipper with contrast at 100 - it helped significantly and virtually removed it.

until you guys have a few hundred to a thousand hours or so, you should use the "format" button to change to "sidecut zoom" to remove the screen logs to ensure they dont become IR. You dont have to watch the entire program in that format, just switch back and forth every hour or so.

My ST30 has seen many football games and has no IR.
post #8398 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg2003gt View Post

until you guys have a few hundred to a thousand hours or so, you should use the "format" button to change to "sidecut zoom" to remove the screen logs to ensure they dont become IR. You dont have to watch the entire program in that format, just switch back and forth every hour or so.

My ST30 has seen many football games and has no IR.

I have over 1000 hours on my VT60 and image retention is still an issue at times, but I treat it with the pixel flipper with no issues up to this point - probably because I don't let the IR go too long. I also have an ST30 and it is much more susceptible to IR.

post #8399 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The contrast was at 60 during the entire game tenure. I just jumped straight to the pixel flipper. Now someone is watching some Firefly in the household, so I'll see if it's still visible in an hour or two.
I would not worry about it. I am sure it will be gone in a short time. I personally will not be concerned with IR as long as it continues to clear up in a short time after it is there. I can live with IR. I will also not be bothered if it cannot be seen on other programming.

I had an ST60 and returned it for this very reason. I came to the VT60 with a different mindset and it is helping me enjoy the TV more instead of stressing over it.
post #8400 of 15126 Old 12-15-2013, 05:59 PM

I might agree, but I can still see the faint presence of the FOX scoreboard outline from September on a white background. Not worried about it so much as what this portends for future IR (and today's).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page