Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 286 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 233Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8551 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
sfitzger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Watching normal content would've yielded the same results, albeit not as quickly. So you really didn't "have to" engage that expensive power drain wink.gif


I've had the entire bottom scrolling scores screen and fox logo on the bottom for the past month along with zelda controls in the top right corner and watching normal content hasn't done anything to fix it. I have tried screen wiping all night along with slides and still nothing.

However, last night I decided to run the pixel flipper from JScreenFix on vivid mode all last night and this morning and I can say with certainty it is being reduced by a good amount, hopefully only another 12 hours and I'm good to go! So to those with IR I have had problems the last month at the 1,000 hour mark and the pixel flipper is the only thing that seems to be working. It's not "solved" yet but another 20 bucks in electricity hopefully all is well.
sfitzger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8552 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
p3Orion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude View Post

Well happy to report that my brother played PS4 pretty much all day on my 65vt60 yesterday, BF4 for god knows how many hours (while I was at work), Assassin's Creed for a couple hours and Fifa 14 for at least 3 hours, I went to bed at this point. This morning I turned on the TV and put on slides and sure enough there was a little bit of IR, I left the slides on while I went to take a shower and by the time I got out, IR was all gone. So far so good, my TV has about 275 hours on it, 250 of those were slides.

Reading this it's frustrating that some people can play games hours on end and no significant IR and others watch a couple of sporting events and have to use WOW for days to remove IR .
p3Orion is offline  
post #8553 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Member
 
beam me up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: bradenton florida
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTheKid View Post

Thanks for the reply. I got my TV in today and was putting it up. and only when I got it under direct light did I see it:( It had two cracks in the back of the panel in the top right corner.. frown.gif So i have to wait another two weeks to get one in.


Really hate to hear the bad news of finding cracks. Was curios if you are getting your replacement thru amazon? I would take it easy on the gaming, at least for break-in. You can find some really good info. in this forum. Seems we are lucky to have some real knowledge on this site. You may want to go back and most all your questions will have already been answered. good luck with your new set! I have almost 200 hours on my 55 vt60-- love this thing, started watching some of my hd dvd on my toshiba hd-dvd 35 1080p -excellent!
beam me up is offline  
post #8554 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Member
 
ChrisTheKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam me up View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTheKid View Post

Thanks for the reply. I got my TV in today and was putting it up. and only when I got it under direct light did I see it:( It had two cracks in the back of the panel in the top right corner.. frown.gif So i have to wait another two weeks to get one in.


Really hate to hear the bad news of finding cracks. Was curios if you are getting your replacement thru amazon? I would take it easy on the gaming, at least for break-in. You can find some really good info. in this forum. Seems we are lucky to have some real knowledge on this site. You may want to go back and most all your questions will have already been answered. good luck with your new set! I have almost 200 hours on my 55 vt60-- love this thing, started watching some of my hd dvd on my toshiba hd-dvd 35 1080p -excellent!

Yeah pretty depressing. But no, its actually through HHGREGG, where I work. don't know when the damage took place. but was before it got to my store.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Pioneer Elite SC-55
Klipsch RF-3, RP-3, RC-3, RS-3
Bang & Olufsen Beogram TX
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD
XBOX-360, XBOX-ONE, PS3(60GB)
ChrisTheKid is offline  
post #8555 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Member
 
beam me up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: bradenton florida
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KID

Looks like you should have no trouble getting your replacement - I was able to check mine pretty well upon delivery; guess i got lucky and had a helpful person from pilot. Used a flashlight. Good luck.
beam me up is offline  
post #8556 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,110
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishDude View Post

Must have missed where I said I want to sell it, I have a pioneer elite receiver and blueray player and polk rti series speakers and two polk subs

Good man.

And I don't care how snobbish anyone thinks I'm being on this: fact is I probably make less money than 95% of you (damn my fickle professional heart).
Put simply, soundbars are not a question of budget they are a question of convenience. Buy 3 pairs of stereo bookshelf speakers, a sub and a cheap receiver and, behold, better sound then 99% of the available self powered sound bars. If a lifestyle system is what you're after Google energy take classic or just head over to mono price where they're selling the knock off for 2/3 the price. A cursory glance at eBay reveals a wealth of gently used receiver (and speakers for that matter) to power them with.

Hell, I just picked up a Cambridge soundworks ensemble iv complete on eBay for less than half what the old set I used to own cost USED 10 years ago. Pair that with an acoustic research 8" I picked up for one Ulysses S Grant and you have a fantastic den/apartment/game room system and you can HIDE the little unassuming ensembles. You don't need to be rich to get good sound.

I realize this is my opinion and anyone is free to disagree but I'm pleading with any of you considering one of these 'systems' to use the resources here and make an educated decision.

Friends don't let friends buy soundbars. smile.gif
lentiman likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #8557 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
pmd918's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Thought I'd take a second to add to the enthusiasm for the VT60. I ordered my TC-P65VT60 from Amazon and it arrived last Thursday (12/12/13) delivered by Pilot. Thankfully, it arrived in perfect condition. The delivery guys were not overly cooperative, but they did what I asked (i.e. put it in the basement when that was supposedly against their policy). The sticker on the back says it was July build.

My wife and I put it on the stand Thursday evening and I immediately started the slides to age the panel. I let them run pretty much nonstop for four days until watching the MNF game last night in THX Cinema mode. I was very impressed with the picture - appeared to be an improvement over my 2009 vintage TC-P54Z1, although I'm sure that the increase in size had a lot to do with that impression. Haven't had a chance to look at Blu-Ray yet, but based upon what I've seen so far, I expect it to look great.

I guess what I'm wrestling with is whether or not to pay for pro calibration. I am on Jeff Meier's schedule for February when he comes to Denver, but I just can't imagine the picture getting that much better. I'll probably get it calibrated anyway, but it sure does look good now! I'm planning on running the slides for a few more days and then calling it quits. But now I'm watching TV when I want and running slides when I'm not home.

A few comments about IR and noise. My July build isn't making any noise that is offensive to me. As far as IR goes, my older TV definitely suffers from IR and although I know it is there, I never notice it with normal viewing. So whether or not it's present on the V60, I doubt that I'll care. I'm not a gamer, but I do watch a lot of sports.

Lovin' it so far!
pmd918 is offline  
post #8558 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 3,247
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

Amen! Its ridiculous honestly. Obsessing over a slightly "wobbly" stand, cosmetic "issues", seeing a spec with your nose pressed up to the panel, clicking when you press the power button....i mean seriously?
That's disappointing. No wonder the valuable members leave and those that obsess over a scratch, clicking, a wobbly stand, or exchanging because of build date, clog up the threads.

What a shame.

+100 - and don't forget the double image viewable if you position yourself a few inches from the screen off to one side tongue.gif

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku/Fire Sticks
smurraybhm is offline  
post #8559 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 01:32 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
^Don't be hating on my ZT60 perks now! biggrin.gif
vinnie97 is offline  
post #8560 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Newbie
 
grayrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Ordered my VT65 last week and it is set to arrive tomorrow. I noticed via Amazon and other posts here that delivery people don't turn on the TV if it's been below a certain temperature. It's been between 0 and 35 in my region the last week and will be about 30 on the day of delivery. 

 

My question is what is the reason behind this? Is it very important to let the TV 'warm up'?  How long of leaving it in my warmed apartment before I plug it in for the first time? 

 

P.S.  Anyone have a good configuration post? been looking but haven't found one yet. 

grayrace is offline  
post #8561 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 01:53 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
^One word, condensation (the reason you should wait for it to reach room temp and for any ensuing condensation to evaporate)!
vinnie97 is offline  
post #8562 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
 
lentiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^One word, condensation (the reason you should wait for it to reach room temp and for any ensuing condensation to evaporate)!

Even better: glass cracking due to temperature differential. Don't believe me? If it's at or close to below freezing where you live throw a bucket of hot water on your car's windshield. Bad things will happen.


 

lentiman is offline  
post #8563 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Member
 
freeride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post

On a side note: I just got caught up with this thread (5 pages worth) and it just seems like there are way too many posts that have to do with picking the TV's details and options apart and not enough ENJOYING the TV.
Seriously guys, run the slides, throw it on THX Cinema or pop in some settings until you can get it pro calibrated, pop some pop corn, and enjoy the damn thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post

Okay, so rather than keep up my negative post about people with thin skin and no sense I'll just say this: let's not pander to individuals that count clicks and complain about wobbles and trolls that defy logic with their comments. Instead let's KEEP the "S: in AVS. Sigh.

Keep perspective here folks. If we are on this forum, we are video geeks, and this is likely the only place we have to voice any opinion, positive or negative. Most people I try to talk about TV's with would just look at me like "wtf" if I went on about motion smoothing, IR, black levels, THX settings, input lag, and all the other crap most people don't care about. I was at my dad's place, where he has 60ST60, running the thing on Vivid, right out of the box. I was like 'dude, wtf?", and he was like, "dude, I don't care". Ha! So people like me have to go the forums to get our fix.

I don't mind the negatives, it's just important not to get caught up in them. I like to be informed. Here's my recap:

Stand wobbles: yup, also, I don't care.
Red light: yup, it stays on, I don't care.
Startup clicks: yup, mine has 3 rapid fire clicks...I don't care.
Fan noise: sorry, can't hear mine so I don't care.
Input lag: Not great, but there are work arounds.
Viera logos, home screens: All can be turned off, I don't see how this is a problem. Top Viera bar goes away within seconds. Read the manual.

The funny thing is, the things that irritate me aren't even really mentioned here. I like to change the picture setting depending on what source material I'm playing (Pixar vs. football vs. Bladerunner), so I miss the Picture button on my DLP remote. I also think game mode should be a button on the remote, rather than be buried in menus. I'm still hoping to find shortcuts for these, but again, while they are negative, I still love the TV, and I appreciate this forum as a place where I can talk about what's on my mind concerning my plasma.

Even Avengers over Netflix streaming looks amazing on this TV. Very pleased with it, and I haven't even scratched the surface on all it's settings.
lentiman likes this.

My priorities? Each one of my speakers weighs more than my VT60.
freeride is offline  
post #8564 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Member
 
DasRetroKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post


Keep perspective here folks. If we are on this forum, we are video geeks, and this is likely the only place we have to voice any opinion, positive or negative. Most people I try to talk about TV's with would just look at me like "wtf" if I went on about motion smoothing, IR, black levels, THX settings, input lag, and all the other crap most people don't care about. I was at my dad's place, where he has 60ST60, running the thing on Vivid, right out of the box. I was like 'dude, wtf?", and he was like, "dude, I don't care". Ha! So people like me have to go the forums to get our fix.

I don't mind the negatives, it's just important not to get caught up in them. I like to be informed. Here's my recap:

Stand wobbles: yup, also, I don't care.
Red light: yup, it stays on, I don't care.
Startup clicks: yup, mine has 3 rapid fire clicks...I don't care.
Fan noise: sorry, can't hear mine so I don't care.
Input lag: Not great, but there are work arounds.
Viera logos, home screens: All can be turned off, I don't see how this is a problem. Top Viera bar goes away within seconds. Read the manual.

The funny thing is, the things that irritate me aren't even really mentioned here. I like to change the picture setting depending on what source material I'm playing (Pixar vs. football vs. Bladerunner), so I miss the Picture button on my DLP remote. I also think game mode should be a button on the remote, rather than be buried in menus. I'm still hoping to find shortcuts for these, but again, while they are negative, I still love the TV, and I appreciate this forum as a place where I can talk about what's on my mind concerning my plasma.

Even Avengers over Netflix streaming looks amazing on this TV. Very pleased with it, and I haven't even scratched the surface on all it's settings.

I agree with regards to the Game Mode button, but I guess they didn't want people accidentally engaging it while watching a movie or what not. Not sure why since you can do it manually. But this again, like you stated in your post, is not really an issue.

I try to help as much as I can but the point I was trying to make was that if you allow yourself (and I include myself here) to constantly be tweaking, inspecting, monitoring, wondering about the TV, or any electronic for that matter, it ends up becoming a source of stress in your life as opposed to what it is meant to be, a source of fun and entertainment. smile.gif
JimP likes this.

Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT60
Onkyo TX-NR609 7.1 | Speakers: (C) Infinity PC351, (FL/FR) Infinity P363's, Sony Surrounds
DasRetroKid is offline  
post #8565 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: California, USA
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post

The funny thing is, the things that irritate me aren't even really mentioned here. I like to change the picture setting depending on what source material I'm playing (Pixar vs. football vs. Bladerunner), so I miss the Picture button on my DLP remote. I also think game mode should be a button on the remote, rather than be buried in menus. I'm still hoping to find shortcuts for these, but again, while they are negative, I still love the TV, and I appreciate this forum as a place where I can talk about what's on my mind concerning my plasma.

Yes! I would love a 1-click solution to change from THX Bright Room to THX, custom, etc.
I guess I could get my Harmony to do it.
skro is offline  
post #8566 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Member
 
freeride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post

I try to help as much as I can but the point I was trying to make was that if you allow yourself (and I include myself here) to constantly be tweaking, inspecting, monitoring, wondering about the TV, or any electronic for that matter, it ends up becoming a source of stress in your life as opposed to what it is meant to be, a source of fun and entertainment. smile.gif

There is truth in that. This forum did make me stressed about buying the TV, and I looked it over carefully when I got it, crossing my fingers, hoping that it wouldn't have the dreaded fan noise, or that the start up clicks wouldn't throw out a shower of sparks and light my carpet on fire. But the worrying was all for naught. smile.gif (at least so far).

Of course, anytime I drop $2k+ on an electronic gizmo, I'm going to be nervous.

My priorities? Each one of my speakers weighs more than my VT60.
freeride is offline  
post #8567 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Member
 
DasRetroKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post

Of course, anytime I drop $2k+ on an electronic gizmo, I'm going to be nervous.

So was I, believe me so was I. But at some point you've got to let your self relax and enjoy it. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying yours.

Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT60
Onkyo TX-NR609 7.1 | Speakers: (C) Infinity PC351, (FL/FR) Infinity P363's, Sony Surrounds
DasRetroKid is offline  
post #8568 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
lentiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Most people here realize (but an alarming number of people don't) that EVERYONE that posts here belongs to the vocal minority of owners. People that have bad experiences are often the loudest voices. People that have absolutely no problems with the buying and ownership experience rarely take the time to express that expectations were met or exceeded. That's life as we know it. There may be 3 guys with IR issues, but they will post way more frequently than everyone else. So many readers will interpret this as horrible IR issues with this product. You can apply this to any other issue also. When a major problem crops up it usually spawns it own thread (such as the yellow blob thread for the VT50 owners). Just saying.


 

lentiman is offline  
post #8569 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
skro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: California, USA
Posts: 1,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yep. I'm always on these forums as a consider a purchase, and right after I purchase. As I stop obsessing and start enjoying my AVSforum usage goes waaaaaay down.
skro is offline  
post #8570 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Member
 
freeride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
We watch a lot of PBS, and for the first time ever, I noticed they have a PBS watermark in the lower right-hand corner of every program they run. IR threat! eek.gif But seriously, it's weird to suddenly be concerned about that sort of thing. Generally, between commercials and switching around to other stations, I don't think I'm ever going to have a problem, but it's weird that have to be concerned about that sort of thing now.

My priorities? Each one of my speakers weighs more than my VT60.
freeride is offline  
post #8571 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 03:17 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post


Keep perspective here folks. If we are on this forum, we are video geeks, and this is likely the only place we have to voice any opinion, positive or negative. Most people I try to talk about TV's with would just look at me like "wtf" if I went on about motion smoothing, IR, black levels, THX settings, input lag, and all the other crap most people don't care about. I was at my dad's place, where he has 60ST60, running the thing on Vivid, right out of the box. I was like 'dude, wtf?", and he was like, "dude, I don't care". Ha! So people like me have to go the forums to get our fix.

I don't mind the negatives, it's just important not to get caught up in them. I like to be informed. Here's my recap:

Stand wobbles: yup, also, I don't care.
Red light: yup, it stays on, I don't care.
Startup clicks: yup, mine has 3 rapid fire clicks...I don't care.
Fan noise: sorry, can't hear mine so I don't care.
Input lag: Not great, but there are work arounds.
Viera logos, home screens: All can be turned off, I don't see how this is a problem. Top Viera bar goes away within seconds. Read the manual.

The funny thing is, the things that irritate me aren't even really mentioned here. I like to change the picture setting depending on what source material I'm playing (Pixar vs. football vs. Bladerunner), so I miss the Picture button on my DLP remote. I also think game mode should be a button on the remote, rather than be buried in menus. I'm still hoping to find shortcuts for these, but again, while they are negative, I still love the TV, and I appreciate this forum as a place where I can talk about what's on my mind concerning my plasma.

Even Avengers over Netflix streaming looks amazing on this TV. Very pleased with it, and I haven't even scratched the surface on all it's settings.
Most of those are relatively minor complaints versus the fan/air noise to which there is an entire thread devoted, and I don't think have any business being listed alongside number of clicks or LED power light. wink.gif
lentiman likes this.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #8572 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jconjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Most of those are relatively minor complaints versus the fan/air noise to which there is an entire thread devoted, and I don't think have any business being listed alongside number of clicks or LED power light. wink.gif

I agree. There's a big difference between legitimate issues and mentally made up obsessions.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears,PA 120 12" Sub,klipsch R-10SW
jconjason is online now  
post #8573 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Member
 
dswierenga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My 65VT60 is in a very bright room. I've fiddled around with Custom settings with the help of Spears & Munsil that don't wash out the whites and show detail in blacks.
Here they are:

Contrast 82
Brightness +7
Color 78
Tint -1
Sharpness 47
Color Temp Warm2
Vivid Off
Panel Brightness Mid
AGC 0
Black Extension 0
Gamut Rec. 709
Black Level Light

I thought that THX Bright did wash out the whites. I like my settings a little better.

I love this set which replaces a Pioneer 50 inch plasma (not Kuro) which is going to my son. I bought this one from Amazon catching their Cyber Monday price.

Panasonic TCP65VT60, Pioneer Elite VSX-70
Oppo BDP-103, Dish VIP722
AR-91 front speakers, PSB-Image 8C center spkr
Velodyne Optima 12 & DLS-5000R subs
Model Six surrounds
Harmony One remote
dswierenga is offline  
post #8574 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member
 
Gov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
Posts: 3,487
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Yes! I would love a 1-click solution to change from THX Bright Room to THX, custom, etc.
I guess I could get my Harmony to do it.

I have a Harmony 700 and honestly am not that good with it. Anyone know how I can program it for a 1-click solution for each picture mode I want?

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
Gov is offline  
post #8575 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
AVKIK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi guys, I recently swapped my vt60 for a samsung f8500. I now think it's safe to say that my vt60 had a bad panel. I say this because the blacks on my f8500 look way blacker. I also felt I had a bad panel after going to BB and seeing a 55 inch vt60 with a much deeper black level than my 65 inch vt60. I do love the brightness and clarity of the samsung, but the motion and color saturation looked much better to me on the panasonic. The vt60 seemed to have more of a 3D look to its 2D. I am considering coming back to the vt60 because I truly believe I had a bad panel. I'm extremely afraid of going back to the vt60 and getting a panel that is going to suffer from IR. I got lucky in that department with my last set. I also have no trace whatsoever of IR on my samsung f8500. I also can't fit my center speaker on my tv cabinet with the f8500. I have a tv cabinet with a bracket that attaches to the back and elevates the tv. With the vt60 the screw holes were closer together which allowed some wiggle room with the bracket. With the f8500 the screw holes are much wider apart and I'm maxed out for height. I have almost seven inches of clearance when I need ten. Sounds minor, but it is the only way I can set up my system. It's also the reason I bought my $600 tv cabinet. I'm so torn on what to do. I'm slowly starting to hate this hobby. Just thinking out loud. Thanks
AVKIK is offline  
post #8576 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
dsg2003gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

I agree. There's a big difference between legitimate issues and mentally made up obsessions.

Just throwing this out there - as I posted about clicks....my ST30 clicks twice. That is fine. I was concerned there was an issue with the VT since it clicks 3 times at startup, as it is different from my other ST. I have no "issue" with the number of clicks.

I think you guys need to take care in judging other's replies as some people (like myself) are trying to determine what is normal operation from an issue that can be fixed during the return period.

New owners look to current/prior owners for advice on the normal operation - be careful where you tread, as you will be a new owner one day for something.
dsg2003gt is offline  
post #8577 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Member
 
SCriss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Good man.

And I don't care how snobbish anyone thinks I'm being on this: fact is I probably make less money than 95% of you (damn my fickle professional heart).
Put simply, soundbars are not a question of budget they are a question of convenience. Buy 3 pairs of stereo bookshelf speakers, a sub and a cheap receiver and, behold, better sound then 99% of the available self powered sound bars. If a lifestyle system is what you're after Google energy take classic or just head over to mono price where they're selling the knock off for 2/3 the price. A cursory glance at eBay reveals a wealth of gently used receiver (and speakers for that matter) to power them with.

Hell, I just picked up a Cambridge soundworks ensemble iv complete on eBay for less than half what the old set I used to own cost USED 10 years ago. Pair that with an acoustic research 8" I picked up for one Ulysses S Grant and you have a fantastic den/apartment/game room system and you can HIDE the little unassuming ensembles. You don't need to be rich to get good sound.

I realize this is my opinion and anyone is free to disagree but I'm pleading with any of you considering one of these 'systems' to use the resources here and make an educated decision.

Friends don't let friends buy soundbars. smile.gif

I'll just say this: I can afford a 5.1 and even a 7.1 system. But I don't have THE ROOM for six or eight speakers. I'm not going to hang them on my walls or even put them in my walls. I DO have room for a soundbar hanging from the TV mount and a wireless sub.

Can we at least agree that if the choices are the TV's speakers or a soundbar, it's ok for a friend to recommend a soundbar?

I just took my VT60 out of the box and started watching it. Is that ok?
SCriss is offline  
post #8578 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 07:03 PM
 
SeLfMaDe111985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I've seen a few posts lately about input lag. When I bought the S60 it had an input lag of about 32-37ms lag. Pretty darn good compared to the st60 which clocked at about 72ms lag with game mode on and off was over 100ms (this is a few months ago). When looking up the vt60 input lag I thought I remember seeing about 48ms lag and even without game mode enabled it still measured pretty good. Have these numbers changed? New reports on lag?

No issues with blu rays but as for Netflix it has some minor lip sync issues. Wondering if it is a Netflix issue or the TV issue and if there is a way to sync it correctly. I'm guessing it is more the source since the blu rays play fine but didn't think the VT60 had lip sync issues like the ST60 reviews were reporting about the ST60 lip sync do to its high input lag
SeLfMaDe111985 is offline  
post #8579 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
p3Orion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 42
^^^
It can be confusing because some of the numbers are from the Leo Bodner lag tester, which tests higher, and others are from the method using the display and a pc, which test lower.

This thread is the first time I heard about the Leo Bodner lag tester not measuring accurately with plasmas for some reason.
p3Orion is offline  
post #8580 of 16631 Old 12-17-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 14,534
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post

On a side note: I just got caught up with this thread (5 pages worth) and it just seems like there are way too many posts that have to do with picking the TV's details and options apart and not enough ENJOYING the TV.
Seriously guys, run the slides, throw it on THX Cinema or pop in some settings until you can get it pro calibrated, pop some pop corn, and enjoy the damn thing.
That would not be the AVS way, in the end most will enjoy there purchase. There is not to much else out there with this quality for the price.........
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off