Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8911 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Your post is nonsense. Is there something youre actually trying to say?
no because you are an ignorant..............mad.gif

Netflix no longer blocks best HD content when feuding with your ISP

"Super HD" and 3D comes to all ISPs, even ones that refuse Netflix cache.

Netflix announced yesterday that it no longer holds back so-called "Super HD" and 3D video from any customers.

"All Netflix members, regardless of their Internet service provider (ISP), now have access to the highest quality HD streams available on Netflix," the company said.

Super HD is a 1080p stream, but it has a higher bit rate and less compression than Netflix's regular 1080p content. Netflix introduced the higher-quality stream in January, but it made it available only on ISPs that use its "Open Connect" content delivery network.

Open Connect is free to ISPs, allowing them to peer with Netflix at Internet exchange points and store content on caches inside their own networks to get it closer to customers. Open Connect is also a point of contention between Netflix and ISPs that have refused the service, presumably because they want Netflix to pay for faster access to their networks or because they want their own video services to look better than Netflix's. Time Warner accused Netflix of "closing off access to some of its content while seeking unprecedented preferential treatment from ISPs."

With yesterday's announcement, customers of ISPs that are feuding with Netflix over Open Connect no longer miss out on Super HD, which is available only on certain titles. Netflix explained:

We initially rolled out Super HD in January only through ISPs with a direct connection to Netflix. Based on the performance data we’ve seen, and in response to member requests, we are now expanding availability to give all our members the ability to enjoy Netflix in the best possible quality.

Netflix uses “adaptive streaming” to dynamically adjust the video quality based on the available bandwidth. This means that the ability to receive Super HD depends on broadband quality and performance. Netflix members who subscribe to an ISP with a direct Netflix connection will get the best experience. Find out more about ISP performance by consulting the Netflix ISP Speed Index.

We continue to encourage ISPs to adopt Netflix Open Connect, our highly optimized video content delivery network. Open Connect is available at no cost to ISPs and is designed to deliver the best possible Netflix experience by storing the TV shows and movies Netflix members want to watch as close to them as possible.

The announcement does not mention 3D content, which was also restricted only to ISPs using Open Connect. Netflix spokesman Joris Evers confirmed to Ars that the Open Connect restriction on 3D content has also been removed, but he noted that 3D is US-only and available to an even smaller number of titles than Super HD.

It's not clear from the announcement whether Netflix implemented any technical upgrades to make this shift possible. The adaptive streaming mentioned by the company isn't new, and Netflix already restricted higher-quality content from end users without a fast enough connection (defined as 7Mbps for Super HD and 12Mbps for 3D).

As we explained in a recent feature, the speed between a customer's home and an ISP network is not the same as the speed between a customer's home and the rest of the Internet. The lack of a direct connection between Netflix and ISPs can reduce streaming video quality even when customers' nominal bandwidth should be high enough for the highest definition content.

But Netflix's decisions to restrict Super HD earlier this year and then lift that restriction now could be business decisions as much as they are technical decisions. Limiting Super HD helped encourage some ISPs to partner with Netflix, keeping the video company's costs down. The flipside is that Netflix could lose customers by holding back better quality streams, so yesterday's announcement may be more about retaining customers than implementing technical upgrades. (We're still waiting for Netflix to say exactly what prompted the upgrade.)

While this puts all Netflix customers on an equal footing for now, Netflix has been talking about the world of 4K video. Future upgrades could follow the same path, with the streaming service unveiling them first on Open Connect networks and then rolling them out to everyone after a few months of real-world testing (or negotiations with ISPs).

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/09/netflix-no-longer-blocks-best-hd-content-when-feuding-with-your-isp/

Panasonic TC-P55VT50
HARMAN KARDON AVR 7300
L & R :> POLK RTI A9 500 W
PARASOUND HALO A21 250 W
EMOTIVA UPA-1 200 W
POLK CSI A6 200 W
POLK RTi A3 150 W
POLK F/XI A6 150 W
Panasonic DMP-BDT 500
PANAMAX M5400-EX
SVS PCI12 ULTRA 525 W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

My stand on the TV I received yesterday has the exact same bend on the same corner. I actually thought that was my post and I was like I don't remember posting a picture. It's an August build date.

October build here. Obviously I was having a bit of fun in that post--

But my stand IS pinched as you can see. I actually did contact panasonic concerning another matter (I needed the thread size and depth for some replacement screw I needed to replace the ones I lost in my move for my 50s30) and they told me I could send it back to them (and incur the cost for shipping) or take the set back to where I bought it. Both solutions seemed extreme considering I don't even use the stand and even if I did I'd likely never notice it when actually WATCHING the tv. I told panasonic next time they want to **** up a corner of one of their stands to choose a rear corner instead of a front facing one... My humor was apparently lost on the phone rep.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #8913 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKTULIPS7 View Post

no because you are ignorant..............

Before calling anyone ignorant you should probably re-read your post which, truthfully, had more emoticons than actual punctuation. While a grade school teacher may have been able to translate that gibberish the rest of us are going to need you to write like an adult.

Also, you're in the Panasonic VT60 forum. Which means your post was about as off-topic as any one of my posts are when I've had a rum and diet coke for breakfast-- which, incidentally, is EVERY day.

Thanks for the info though.
vinnie97 likes this.

--Carl Sagan
post #8914 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 88
D-Nice has been slammed on his tours, I'm not sure how many slots are left.. If you are interested, I'd contact him sooner than later.

I spoke to D-Nice the other day, he'll be in the greater L.A. area and greater San Fransisco area in January 2014 (two separate tours). D-Nice's Tour updates are HERE as is his contact info for calibration requests.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #8915 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Rop
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post

I just made the exact same upgrade. I really didn't want to replace the GWII, it was doing so well for being that old, but it had developed a big yellow blob in the center of the screen, so I figured it was time to start looking around. I would have taken my time, but then Panasonic stopped production on plasmas, and they being some of the best reviewed TVs around, I decided not to wait.

It was the high-voltage supply for the lamp that gave out on mine (according to the fault code it produced). I'll have a look at it; could just be a electrolytic capacitor that had its day (my background is in electronics). If I can fix it it'll move to the bedroom.
Quote:
Right now, the VT60 is running slides and sitting right in front of the GWII.

Why run slides when you have kids... tongue.gif
They'll put the hours on and age the phosphors in no time flat. I'll have a look at calibration at that point.
Quote:
It's allowed me to do a little bit of a side by side comparison. As you said, the darks are night and day difference. The GWII is always glowing, the VT60 near completely black. The other big improvement is the lack of "screen door" effect that the GWII had. I know plasmas have other visual artifacts, shimmering, flickering, etc., but it is a huge improvement to my eyes.

Now that you mention it; I'm sensitive to 'flickering' such as 60Hz fluorescents, and the VT60 definitely does that. The LCD panels on the GWII were too slow to pass that along, but I can see that the Panasonic has some of that strobe-effect to it, especially on bright scenes. The picture is so damn good though that I quickly forget about it and get drawn into the movie.
Quote:
On the flip side, having the two TVs side by side shows just how dim the white on the VT60 is. I don't think it'll be an issue, the GWII wasn't the best daytime performer anyway.

Agreed about GWII and daytime use. Though it worked OK for me, even when we still had it in a room with windows along one wall and behind it. Unlike you I find the VT60 brighter than the GWII. I've dialed down the contrast setting to somewhat match the light output of the GWII. Since my Sony is belly-up I can't do a true side-by-side, all I wanted to say though for those reading the comments on this thread and that are worried about light output is that IMO the VT60 is plenty bright enough for regular use. May be a matter of expectation: There's a reason why movie theaters dim the lights during a show, why expect that your TV can produce that same awe-inspiring picture with the sun bouncing off it in the living room...
Quote:
The thing that freaked me out was the dithering when I first turned the set on. Obviously this is my first plasma, and the initial out-of-box experience (picture mode on standard, the gray transparent menus up, standing 2 feet from the tv) left me convinced I had a bad panel. I couldn't understand why everything was swimming and popping colors. I decided to watch some test content on THX cinema, and it didn't have any of those issues, so I was finally happy.

I do see the occasionally clearly visible dithering and banding. However, IMO most of that is the product of the source (cable box in my case). The downside of a really good display is that is utterly unforgiving in reproducing flaws that are sent to it by the image source.

In any event. Just got myself another HDMI cable so I better head down to the basement and get the HTPC running on it. That should look awesome! cool.gif

-RoB-

Lies, damn lies, and interconnects...
post #8916 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 01:07 PM

Has anyone tried to connect the vt60 to a home theater computer?My attempts have failed.The tv says no input detected.The computer has an hdcp enabled video card that is outputting to a Yamaha avr.I'm stumped.I've tried connecting directly to the tv with no luck.

Mark
post #8917 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 01:12 PM

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the double post but the mods didn't remove it from the main part of the forum and into this one. Anyway, I wanted to get some answers because my return period will be coming up quick. Here it is:

So I got a new VT60 back from Best Buy after having a dead pixel. Anyway, I ran Dnice's break in slides and have about 200 Hours on the set. I've tried both his settings as well as Larry's but there is still something going on with the PQ. It seems like the green pixels over ride everything as well as some sort of distortion/grainy issue. I ran an old calibration disc (I have no idea how to calibrate, I just had this laying around from awhile ago) These are from House of Cards but watching Homeland and Avatar the other day, they all have the same PQ.

1.) On the Spacey pic, notice the blob on the his left side forehead. Looking to the left of his face there is some sort of distortion or graininess. This is very noticeable from normal viewing distances and really distracts from the PQ.
2.) Older lady, has green around her right eye and forehead.
3.) Blond lady, even thought the photo I took is a bit out of focus it shows most of the problems with the greenish problem, the green pixelation, etc. Her left cheek has a nice green blob on it and then on her left side everything looks pixelated. Then as you can see on her forehead the light reflecting off of it is a bit distorted.
4.) on the photo with the reflection of the couch, the whitish looking streak actually appears greenish in real life.
5.) on the graduation pic, the blackest blacks and whitest whites are quite good, But the shades 1-2 off of those are where the problem is very noticeable.

On another note, when I ran the calibration disc these is a lot of flickering on the graduation slides. From doing some searching this sounds normal, but I just wanted to make sure. Again, Larry's settings did help the issue by maybe 10-20% when compared to Dnice's settings but still not all that great. What do you guys think? Thanks!

post #8918 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 01:12 PM

Got my 65VT60 delivered by CEVA (Amazon) and mounted it straight away.. Out of the box it looks absolutely fantastic in THX mode.. I dropped the contrast to 50 just bc I'm being a little paranoid at the outset.. but it's still plenty bright.. It's an October 2013 build.. and I can hear the fans when the house is quiet but otherwise I can't hear it.. It's much quieter than my Panasonic V10 was..

Overall I'm thrilled with it. I did notice one small area in the top-left corner that has a very subtle pink tint compared to the rest of the screen. It's something you'd have to look for and only in uniform/bright content.. nothing you'd see in normal content. Otherwise, I did notice a little bit of the "dirty screen effect" while gaming.. again, on cartoonish content.. nothing noticeable on normal content. This is about as much as I can nitpick.

In other news, I learned today that my receiver is not 3D compatible... boo... I'll have to take a few breaths before I think about another upgrade...

Nothing to report yet on IR. But I'm not going to be the kind of guy that checks for IR on slides.. I don't plan on using slides at all, for that matter.. rather letting the panel age organically..

Gaming seems fine.. I played a little Forza 5 and couldn't tell much difference in terms of input lag with Game Mode on and off... I'll spend some more quality time with it tonight to see how it performs..

Great TV set.. glad I took the plunge. I think Ive learned that spending too much time on these threads makes you paranoid.... it's much more fun to just enjoy the TV.. it's fantastic!
post #8919 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Good job with the Netflix post Tulips. Much better than the ignorant nonsense of before.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8920 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

I almost feel like Cnet's setting is an error. I have never seen them put the sharpness setting up. I believe they always set to zero. I can't imagine a setting of 50 giving a reference type look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Youre correct. It is an error. It should be 0. I thought they corrected it at some point. This was discussed thoroughly a while back.

That's what I was thinking until I saw that Sound And Vision had their's at 50 too rolleyes.gif
post #8921 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

That's what I was thinking until I saw that Sound And Vision had their's at 50 too rolleyes.gif
That one I cant explain.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8922 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defraggerman View Post

Has anyone tried to connect the vt60 to a home theater computer?My attempts have failed.The tv says no input detected.The computer has an hdcp enabled video card that is outputting to a Yamaha avr.I'm stumped.I've tried connecting directly to the tv with no luck.
Have you tried connecting your HTPC to a monitor, just to confirm it's outputing video? Are you using only an HTPC - what about a cable/sat box? Do any of your other A/V devices work OK with the AVR and TV?
I have a tower PC connected via HDMI thru my AVR to the VT60 and it works fine. I'm running only one HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV (on HDMI2-ARC).

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #8923 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsofwei View Post

Got my 65VT60 delivered by CEVA (Amazon) and mounted it straight away.. Out of the box it looks absolutely fantastic in THX mode.. I dropped the contrast to 50 just bc I'm being a little paranoid at the outset.. but it's still plenty bright.. It's an October 2013 build.. and I can hear the fans when the house is quiet but otherwise I can't hear it.. It's much quieter than my Panasonic V10 was..

Overall I'm thrilled with it. I did notice one small area in the top-left corner that has a very subtle pink tint compared to the rest of the screen. It's something you'd have to look for and only in uniform/bright content.. nothing you'd see in normal content. Otherwise, I did notice a little bit of the "dirty screen effect" while gaming.. again, on cartoonish content.. nothing noticeable on normal content. This is about as much as I can nitpick.

In other news, I learned today that my receiver is not 3D compatible... boo... I'll have to take a few breaths before I think about another upgrade...

Nothing to report yet on IR. But I'm not going to be the kind of guy that checks for IR on slides.. I don't plan on using slides at all, for that matter.. rather letting the panel age organically..

Gaming seems fine.. I played a little Forza 5 and couldn't tell much difference in terms of input lag with Game Mode on and off... I'll spend some more quality time with it tonight to see how it performs..

Great TV set.. glad I took the plunge. I think Ive learned that spending too much time on these threads makes you paranoid.... it's much more fun to just enjoy the TV.. it's fantastic!

I had the same thing when I first got my set. Mine was in the right hand corner towards the middle and was only visible in the white and grey slides and never during real content. I just finished running the slides on fri and I don't see it anymore. You'll be fine smile.gif
post #8924 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc351 View Post

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the double post but the mods didn't remove it from the main part of the forum and into this one. Anyway, I wanted to get some answers because my return period will be coming up quick. Here it is:

So I got a new VT60 back from Best Buy after having a dead pixel. Anyway, I ran Dnice's break in slides and have about 200 Hours on the set. I've tried both his settings as well as Larry's but there is still something going on with the PQ. It seems like the green pixels over ride everything as well as some sort of distortion/grainy issue. I ran an old calibration disc (I have no idea how to calibrate, I just had this laying around from awhile ago) These are from House of Cards but watching Homeland and Avatar the other day, they all have the same PQ.

1.) On the Spacey pic, notice the blob on the his left side forehead. Looking to the left of his face there is some sort of distortion or graininess. This is very noticeable from normal viewing distances and really distracts from the PQ.
2.) Older lady, has green around her right eye and forehead.
3.) Blond lady, even thought the photo I took is a bit out of focus it shows most of the problems with the greenish problem, the green pixelation, etc. Her left cheek has a nice green blob on it and then on her left side everything looks pixelated. Then as you can see on her forehead the light reflecting off of it is a bit distorted.
4.) on the photo with the reflection of the couch, the whitish looking streak actually appears greenish in real life.
5.) on the graduation pic, the blackest blacks and whitest whites are quite good, But the shades 1-2 off of those are where the problem is very noticeable.

On another note, when I ran the calibration disc these is a lot of flickering on the graduation slides. From doing some searching this sounds normal, but I just wanted to make sure. Again, Larry's settings did help the issue by maybe 10-20% when compared to Dnice's settings but still not all that great. What do you guys think? Thanks!

This sounds like my problem. It is a sort grainy (I call it furry) issue. You are right, it really distracts from the picture. I am having a new VT60 sent to me to double check that it isn't the set. If it is the same result, then I may go with either a less expensive set, or an LCD. If this is really content quality issue, and the picture is going to look like this for what I watch most, then I can do without the best picture tv and settle for another that maybe won't do this.

What is your build date? Mine is June 2013

post #8925 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Have you tried connecting your HTPC to a monitor, just to confirm it's outputing video? Are you using only an HTPC - what about a cable/sat box? Do any of your other A/V devices work OK with the AVR and TV?
I have a tower PC connected via HDMI thru my AVR to the VT60 and it works fine. I'm running only one HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV (on HDMI2-ARC).
My setup is similar.Everything else works fine.The computer worked great with my old panny plasma so I'm a little stumped.

Mark
post #8926 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

October build here. Obviously I was having a bit of fun in that post--

But my stand IS pinched as you can see. I actually did contact panasonic concerning another matter (I needed the thread size and depth for some replacement screw I needed to replace the ones I lost in my move for my 50s30) and they told me I could send it back to them (and incur the cost for shipping) or take the set back to where I bought it. Both solutions seemed extreme considering I don't even use the stand and even if I did I'd likely never notice it when actually WATCHING the tv. I told panasonic next time they want to **** up a corner of one of their stands to choose a rear corner instead of a front facing one... My humor was apparently lost on the phone rep.
Yeah, I know but I find it funny that my corner looks exactly like yours. At least we know they weren't dropped. You would think they would just ship you a new one though at their expense.

I use the stand but once the TV is on it you really don't notice it at all.

Can anyone answer my prior question about the stand and the screws. There is a whole in the center top that fits the small screw but that hole doesn't even show in the manual and then there is no screw for the plastic piece that goes over the stand.
post #8927 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I know but I find it funny that my corner looks exactly like yours. At least we know they weren't dropped. You would think they would just ship you a new one though at their expense.

Can anyone answer my prior question about the stand and the screws. There is a whole in the center top that fits the small screw but that hole doesn't even show in the manual and then there is no screw for the plastic piece that goes over the stand.

I was confused too because the delivery guys put it together and had that piece left over. The way I figure, and the way I ended up putting mine together, it doesn't use a screw. The whole tv sits on top of that piece and holds it in. It still jiggles but I feel like that is the way it is supposed to be, purely cosmetic. Im no expert though.

post #8928 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 02:30 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a nube to this forum and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 65vt60. I have been reading all the reviews and posts I can find on this set. I'm driving my wife nuts!! Here's the deal. The set will be replacing a 11yr old 65" Mitsubishi CRT rear-projection. It will be in a large family/great room that has several windows but none behind it. I have light blocking shades on all the windows. Is the 65vt60 going to be more reflective than the Mits it's replacing ?  The 65vt60 is at the top of my budget and I can't step up to the ZT or Samsung f8500. Maybe this is a stupid question,I don't know. I'm just a little nervous about it being worse than the CRT it's replacing. 

post #8929 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Fixed it.Looks like a handshake issue.I changed the order of things turning on and that has fixed the problem.

Mark
post #8930 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoellAlex View Post

I was confused too because the delivery guys put it together and had that piece left over. The way I figure, and the way I ended up putting mine together, it doesn't use a screw. The whole tv sits on top of that piece and holds it in. It still jiggles but I feel like that is the way it is supposed to be, purely cosmetic. Im no expert though.
So you have the little screw, screwed into the top center of the stand? My first one was put together by the drivers and they forgot it as well. I only new about it from reading here so I made sure to put it on this time around but there was no screw for it and the instruction manual doesn't even show the whole in the top center of the stand. So I am a little confused and question if the screw really belongs there or if I should take it out and screw in into the plastic piece.
post #8931 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoger View Post

Hi everyone,

I'm a nube to this forum and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 65vt60. I have been reading all the reviews and posts I can find on this set. I'm driving my wife nuts!! Here's the deal. The set will be replacing a 11yr old 65" Mitsubishi CRT rear-projection. It will be in a large family/great room that has several windows but none behind it. I have light blocking shades on all the windows. Is the 65vt60 going to be more reflective than the Mits it's replacing ?  The 65vt60 is at the top of my budget and I can't step up to the ZT or Samsung f8500. Maybe this is a stupid question,I don't know. I'm just a little nervous about it being worse than the CRT it's replacing. 

The TV handles reflections really well and does a good job of cutting through. You will still see reflections in the daytime but the picture for the most part should dominate it. I actually think it cuts through better then the LED I had before this.

Just order from a place that has a good return policy and you can't lose. No better way to test the TV out then in your own home.
post #8932 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I had the same thing when I first got my set. Mine was in the right hand corner towards the middle and was only visible in the white and grey slides and never during real content. I just finished running the slides on fri and I don't see it anymore. You'll be fine smile.gif

Awesome.. even better! Thanks for that. Maybe has something to do with the phosphors aging or whatever. I'm over the moon with this TV. I haven't even messed with settings yet but THX picture mode on Warm 1 and 50 Contrast works great for me. In a week or so I'll probably work up the nerve to up the contrast back up to 60. Still, the TV is plenty bright, as I'm used to the light output of plasma. And going from 54" to 65" is just wonderful.. and given how thin the bezel is on this tv, it's not that much bigger than my old 54" V10.

The one aspect of the design I'm not crazy about is the chrome border. That picks up light from all over the house and can be distracting.. but again, nitpicks smile.gif
post #8933 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 03:23 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by windomearle View Post

Wow, sounds like a lot of people got their VTs today. I got my 65VT60 from Amazon delivered by Pilot today. They were 4.5 hours later than the 9-Noon delivery window I had. Oh, well. Did you guys tip the delivery guys? I didn't and now feel bad, though they didn't do much other than bring it in. I had to ask them to open the box so I could inspect the screen before they left. I probably would have tipped them if they weren't so late. I wasn't planning on staying home from work all day.

I've started running the slides and did notice some IR on the white slide initially. It seemed to be from some of the boxes from the Vierra menu but it seems to be gone now. Hopefully it doesn't mean I have a more IR-prone unit. I guess part of being a Plasma owner is worrying about IR! I did order the Disney WOW disc and it sounds like than can help with IR if it is a problem.

How many people does it take to put the 65" on the stand? I'm pretty sure I can't do it by myself!

Sorry, forgot to add that the build date was October 2013. I can really only hear the fans if I put my head right up near them in a quiet room. I think my fridge/Xbox/computer noise in the same area would drown out any fan noise.

I got mine a week ago. 2 big guys with bad BO delivered it, unboxed it, set it up on the stand, and put it in position. They turned it on so I could check for obvious defects, and then left, taking the packaging material with them. There is NO way I could do it myself; too big, heavy and awkward to move safely. This is all part of the Amazon shipping guarantee.

I decided to tip the guys, so I ran outside with a $20, just in time to watch the driver kick a hamburger wrapper out of his cab, onto my driveway, and then start to close his door. I guess I was overtaken by the holiday spirit, because I still gave him the tip, then I bent over and told him I'll pick up his trash for him. Humans are weird.

I've decided to mostly ignore posts and advice on IR, other than the obvious of not leaving static images on for too long. We moderate between movies, TV and xbox enough that I don't think I'm going to stress about it. We never watch or play anything on the TV for more than 2-3 hours at a stretch.

My priorities? Each one of my speakers weighs more than my VT60.
post #8934 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:

So you have the little screw, screwed into the top center of the stand? My first one was put together by the drivers and they forgot it as well. I only new about it from reading here so I made sure to put it on this time around but there was no screw for it and the instruction manual doesn't even show the whole in the top center of the stand. So I am a little confused and question if the screw really belongs there or if I should take it out and screw in into the plastic piece.

No I didn't have a screw either. My tv is holding it in place. You have to put that piece on before you put the display on the stand. It sits in there nicely. It will feel like it's loose if you touch it, but I think this is how it is supposed to be set up. Purely cosmetic to cover the back part of the stand, unless Im just an idiot, I would say its poor design.

Maybe someone else can chime in on how they set theirs up?

Are you talking about that piece?

post #8935 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defraggerman View Post

yes my MSI laptop...I have the HDMI running thru my Denon 4308ci...works fine...I didn't have to adjust anything. Way better than my desktop I had connected to my other LCD RPTV...in fact best HTPC I have had since doing this since 2003....its BS trying to customize a PC to be a HTPC these days...they are way to easy and just as accurate out of the box. Yes you might spend more everything equal, but its a no brainer. No need to tweak anymore....YES!!!
post #8936 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No I didn't have a screw either. My tv is holding it in place. You have to put that piece on before you put the display on the stand. It sits in there nicely. It will feel like it's loose if you touch it, but I think this is how it is supposed to be set up. Purely cosmetic to cover the back part of the stand, unless Im just an idiot, I would say its poor design.

So you don't have the little screw in the top center of the stand connector? I am away so cannot take a picture but my stand connector does not look like the one in the manual picture. In the manual it does not show the top center. My build dates were from 2 different months and they both have this center hole. When the driver put the little screw in the first time he said this the most important screw here, this little one so I find it weird that it doesn't even show in the manual. The manual only shows 4 screws going from the stand to the TV when it is really 5 not including the one that is suppose to go through the plastic add-on.
post #8937 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
[/quote]

Same as all the rest but mine came with a screw.wink.gif I wouldn't worry about it.
post #8938 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you talking about that piece?
Yeah, I don't have that screwed in because I have the little screw in the top hole. Can you snap a picture of the top portion where it connects. I am curious if yours looks like the manual or if it looks like mine.
post #8939 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merccrazy View Post

[/quote]

Same as all the rest but mine came with a screw.wink.gif I wouldn't worry about it.

So I am missing a screw haha, thanks for the confirmation. Yeah it's no big deal, at least it sits properly without it

post #8940 of 15568 Old 12-21-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Eric, there is a plastic shroud which fits over the top part of the stand and is held in place by a single screw. This isn't a load bearing piece as far as I can tell and appears to simply be there for aesthetics. I believe the screw that holds it is the same as the screws that hold the rest of the base together (you should have gotten an extra).

--Carl Sagan
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page