Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 298 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 238Likes

Old 12-21-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Good job with the Netflix post Tulips. Much better than the ignorant nonsense of before.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I almost feel like Cnet's setting is an error. I have never seen them put the sharpness setting up. I believe they always set to zero. I can't imagine a setting of 50 giving a reference type look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Youre correct. It is an error. It should be 0. I thought they corrected it at some point. This was discussed thoroughly a while back.

That's what I was thinking until I saw that Sound And Vision had their's at 50 too rolleyes.gif
Old 12-21-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

That's what I was thinking until I saw that Sound And Vision had their's at 50 too rolleyes.gif
That one I cant explain.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defraggerman View Post

Has anyone tried to connect the vt60 to a home theater computer?My attempts have failed.The tv says no input detected.The computer has an hdcp enabled video card that is outputting to a Yamaha avr.I'm stumped.I've tried connecting directly to the tv with no luck.
Have you tried connecting your HTPC to a monitor, just to confirm it's outputing video? Are you using only an HTPC - what about a cable/sat box? Do any of your other A/V devices work OK with the AVR and TV?
I have a tower PC connected via HDMI thru my AVR to the VT60 and it works fine. I'm running only one HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV (on HDMI2-ARC).

Don't use a big word when a more diminutive one would suffice.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsofwei View Post

Got my 65VT60 delivered by CEVA (Amazon) and mounted it straight away.. Out of the box it looks absolutely fantastic in THX mode.. I dropped the contrast to 50 just bc I'm being a little paranoid at the outset.. but it's still plenty bright.. It's an October 2013 build.. and I can hear the fans when the house is quiet but otherwise I can't hear it.. It's much quieter than my Panasonic V10 was..

Overall I'm thrilled with it. I did notice one small area in the top-left corner that has a very subtle pink tint compared to the rest of the screen. It's something you'd have to look for and only in uniform/bright content.. nothing you'd see in normal content. Otherwise, I did notice a little bit of the "dirty screen effect" while gaming.. again, on cartoonish content.. nothing noticeable on normal content. This is about as much as I can nitpick.

In other news, I learned today that my receiver is not 3D compatible... boo... I'll have to take a few breaths before I think about another upgrade...

Nothing to report yet on IR. But I'm not going to be the kind of guy that checks for IR on slides.. I don't plan on using slides at all, for that matter.. rather letting the panel age organically..

Gaming seems fine.. I played a little Forza 5 and couldn't tell much difference in terms of input lag with Game Mode on and off... I'll spend some more quality time with it tonight to see how it performs..

Great TV set.. glad I took the plunge. I think Ive learned that spending too much time on these threads makes you paranoid.... it's much more fun to just enjoy the TV.. it's fantastic!

I had the same thing when I first got my set. Mine was in the right hand corner towards the middle and was only visible in the white and grey slides and never during real content. I just finished running the slides on fri and I don't see it anymore. You'll be fine smile.gif
Old 12-21-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc351 View Post

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the double post but the mods didn't remove it from the main part of the forum and into this one. Anyway, I wanted to get some answers because my return period will be coming up quick. Here it is:

So I got a new VT60 back from Best Buy after having a dead pixel. Anyway, I ran Dnice's break in slides and have about 200 Hours on the set. I've tried both his settings as well as Larry's but there is still something going on with the PQ. It seems like the green pixels over ride everything as well as some sort of distortion/grainy issue. I ran an old calibration disc (I have no idea how to calibrate, I just had this laying around from awhile ago) These are from House of Cards but watching Homeland and Avatar the other day, they all have the same PQ.

1.) On the Spacey pic, notice the blob on the his left side forehead. Looking to the left of his face there is some sort of distortion or graininess. This is very noticeable from normal viewing distances and really distracts from the PQ.
2.) Older lady, has green around her right eye and forehead.
3.) Blond lady, even thought the photo I took is a bit out of focus it shows most of the problems with the greenish problem, the green pixelation, etc. Her left cheek has a nice green blob on it and then on her left side everything looks pixelated. Then as you can see on her forehead the light reflecting off of it is a bit distorted.
4.) on the photo with the reflection of the couch, the whitish looking streak actually appears greenish in real life.
5.) on the graduation pic, the blackest blacks and whitest whites are quite good, But the shades 1-2 off of those are where the problem is very noticeable.

On another note, when I ran the calibration disc these is a lot of flickering on the graduation slides. From doing some searching this sounds normal, but I just wanted to make sure. Again, Larry's settings did help the issue by maybe 10-20% when compared to Dnice's settings but still not all that great. What do you guys think? Thanks!

This sounds like my problem. It is a sort grainy (I call it furry) issue. You are right, it really distracts from the picture. I am having a new VT60 sent to me to double check that it isn't the set. If it is the same result, then I may go with either a less expensive set, or an LCD. If this is really content quality issue, and the picture is going to look like this for what I watch most, then I can do without the best picture tv and settle for another that maybe won't do this.

What is your build date? Mine is June 2013

Old 12-21-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Have you tried connecting your HTPC to a monitor, just to confirm it's outputing video? Are you using only an HTPC - what about a cable/sat box? Do any of your other A/V devices work OK with the AVR and TV?
I have a tower PC connected via HDMI thru my AVR to the VT60 and it works fine. I'm running only one HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV (on HDMI2-ARC).
My setup is similar.Everything else works fine.The computer worked great with my old panny plasma so I'm a little stumped.

Mark
Old 12-21-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

October build here. Obviously I was having a bit of fun in that post--

But my stand IS pinched as you can see. I actually did contact panasonic concerning another matter (I needed the thread size and depth for some replacement screw I needed to replace the ones I lost in my move for my 50s30) and they told me I could send it back to them (and incur the cost for shipping) or take the set back to where I bought it. Both solutions seemed extreme considering I don't even use the stand and even if I did I'd likely never notice it when actually WATCHING the tv. I told panasonic next time they want to **** up a corner of one of their stands to choose a rear corner instead of a front facing one... My humor was apparently lost on the phone rep.
Yeah, I know but I find it funny that my corner looks exactly like yours. At least we know they weren't dropped. You would think they would just ship you a new one though at their expense.

I use the stand but once the TV is on it you really don't notice it at all.

Can anyone answer my prior question about the stand and the screws. There is a whole in the center top that fits the small screw but that hole doesn't even show in the manual and then there is no screw for the plastic piece that goes over the stand.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I know but I find it funny that my corner looks exactly like yours. At least we know they weren't dropped. You would think they would just ship you a new one though at their expense.

Can anyone answer my prior question about the stand and the screws. There is a whole in the center top that fits the small screw but that hole doesn't even show in the manual and then there is no screw for the plastic piece that goes over the stand.

I was confused too because the delivery guys put it together and had that piece left over. The way I figure, and the way I ended up putting mine together, it doesn't use a screw. The whole tv sits on top of that piece and holds it in. It still jiggles but I feel like that is the way it is supposed to be, purely cosmetic. Im no expert though.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:30 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a nube to this forum and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 65vt60. I have been reading all the reviews and posts I can find on this set. I'm driving my wife nuts!! Here's the deal. The set will be replacing a 11yr old 65" Mitsubishi CRT rear-projection. It will be in a large family/great room that has several windows but none behind it. I have light blocking shades on all the windows. Is the 65vt60 going to be more reflective than the Mits it's replacing ?  The 65vt60 is at the top of my budget and I can't step up to the ZT or Samsung f8500. Maybe this is a stupid question,I don't know. I'm just a little nervous about it being worse than the CRT it's replacing. 

Old 12-21-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Fixed it.Looks like a handshake issue.I changed the order of things turning on and that has fixed the problem.

Mark
Old 12-21-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoellAlex View Post

I was confused too because the delivery guys put it together and had that piece left over. The way I figure, and the way I ended up putting mine together, it doesn't use a screw. The whole tv sits on top of that piece and holds it in. It still jiggles but I feel like that is the way it is supposed to be, purely cosmetic. Im no expert though.
So you have the little screw, screwed into the top center of the stand? My first one was put together by the drivers and they forgot it as well. I only new about it from reading here so I made sure to put it on this time around but there was no screw for it and the instruction manual doesn't even show the whole in the top center of the stand. So I am a little confused and question if the screw really belongs there or if I should take it out and screw in into the plastic piece.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoger View Post

Hi everyone,

I'm a nube to this forum and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 65vt60. I have been reading all the reviews and posts I can find on this set. I'm driving my wife nuts!! Here's the deal. The set will be replacing a 11yr old 65" Mitsubishi CRT rear-projection. It will be in a large family/great room that has several windows but none behind it. I have light blocking shades on all the windows. Is the 65vt60 going to be more reflective than the Mits it's replacing ?  The 65vt60 is at the top of my budget and I can't step up to the ZT or Samsung f8500. Maybe this is a stupid question,I don't know. I'm just a little nervous about it being worse than the CRT it's replacing. 

The TV handles reflections really well and does a good job of cutting through. You will still see reflections in the daytime but the picture for the most part should dominate it. I actually think it cuts through better then the LED I had before this.

Just order from a place that has a good return policy and you can't lose. No better way to test the TV out then in your own home.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:19 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I had the same thing when I first got my set. Mine was in the right hand corner towards the middle and was only visible in the white and grey slides and never during real content. I just finished running the slides on fri and I don't see it anymore. You'll be fine smile.gif

Awesome.. even better! Thanks for that. Maybe has something to do with the phosphors aging or whatever. I'm over the moon with this TV. I haven't even messed with settings yet but THX picture mode on Warm 1 and 50 Contrast works great for me. In a week or so I'll probably work up the nerve to up the contrast back up to 60. Still, the TV is plenty bright, as I'm used to the light output of plasma. And going from 54" to 65" is just wonderful.. and given how thin the bezel is on this tv, it's not that much bigger than my old 54" V10.

The one aspect of the design I'm not crazy about is the chrome border. That picks up light from all over the house and can be distracting.. but again, nitpicks smile.gif
Old 12-21-2013, 02:23 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by windomearle View Post

Wow, sounds like a lot of people got their VTs today. I got my 65VT60 from Amazon delivered by Pilot today. They were 4.5 hours later than the 9-Noon delivery window I had. Oh, well. Did you guys tip the delivery guys? I didn't and now feel bad, though they didn't do much other than bring it in. I had to ask them to open the box so I could inspect the screen before they left. I probably would have tipped them if they weren't so late. I wasn't planning on staying home from work all day.

I've started running the slides and did notice some IR on the white slide initially. It seemed to be from some of the boxes from the Vierra menu but it seems to be gone now. Hopefully it doesn't mean I have a more IR-prone unit. I guess part of being a Plasma owner is worrying about IR! I did order the Disney WOW disc and it sounds like than can help with IR if it is a problem.

How many people does it take to put the 65" on the stand? I'm pretty sure I can't do it by myself!

Sorry, forgot to add that the build date was October 2013. I can really only hear the fans if I put my head right up near them in a quiet room. I think my fridge/Xbox/computer noise in the same area would drown out any fan noise.

I got mine a week ago. 2 big guys with bad BO delivered it, unboxed it, set it up on the stand, and put it in position. They turned it on so I could check for obvious defects, and then left, taking the packaging material with them. There is NO way I could do it myself; too big, heavy and awkward to move safely. This is all part of the Amazon shipping guarantee.

I decided to tip the guys, so I ran outside with a $20, just in time to watch the driver kick a hamburger wrapper out of his cab, onto my driveway, and then start to close his door. I guess I was overtaken by the holiday spirit, because I still gave him the tip, then I bent over and told him I'll pick up his trash for him. Humans are weird.

I've decided to mostly ignore posts and advice on IR, other than the obvious of not leaving static images on for too long. We moderate between movies, TV and xbox enough that I don't think I'm going to stress about it. We never watch or play anything on the TV for more than 2-3 hours at a stretch.

My priorities? Each one of my speakers weighs more than my VT60.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:

So you have the little screw, screwed into the top center of the stand? My first one was put together by the drivers and they forgot it as well. I only new about it from reading here so I made sure to put it on this time around but there was no screw for it and the instruction manual doesn't even show the whole in the top center of the stand. So I am a little confused and question if the screw really belongs there or if I should take it out and screw in into the plastic piece.

No I didn't have a screw either. My tv is holding it in place. You have to put that piece on before you put the display on the stand. It sits in there nicely. It will feel like it's loose if you touch it, but I think this is how it is supposed to be set up. Purely cosmetic to cover the back part of the stand, unless Im just an idiot, I would say its poor design.

Maybe someone else can chime in on how they set theirs up?

Are you talking about that piece?

Old 12-21-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defraggerman View Post

Has anyone tried to connect the vt60 to a home theater computer?My attempts have failed.The tv says no input detected.The computer has an hdcp enabled video card that is outputting to a Yamaha avr.I'm stumped.I've tried connecting directly to the tv with no luck.

yes my MSI laptop...I have the HDMI running thru my Denon 4308ci...works fine...I didn't have to adjust anything. Way better than my desktop I had connected to my other LCD RPTV...in fact best HTPC I have had since doing this since 2003....its BS trying to customize a PC to be a HTPC these days...they are way to easy and just as accurate out of the box. Yes you might spend more everything equal, but its a no brainer. No need to tweak anymore....YES!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No I didn't have a screw either. My tv is holding it in place. You have to put that piece on before you put the display on the stand. It sits in there nicely. It will feel like it's loose if you touch it, but I think this is how it is supposed to be set up. Purely cosmetic to cover the back part of the stand, unless Im just an idiot, I would say its poor design.

So you don't have the little screw in the top center of the stand connector? I am away so cannot take a picture but my stand connector does not look like the one in the manual picture. In the manual it does not show the top center. My build dates were from 2 different months and they both have this center hole. When the driver put the little screw in the first time he said this the most important screw here, this little one so I find it weird that it doesn't even show in the manual. The manual only shows 4 screws going from the stand to the TV when it is really 5 not including the one that is suppose to go through the plastic add-on.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
[/quote]

Same as all the rest but mine came with a screw.wink.gif I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you talking about that piece?
Yeah, I don't have that screwed in because I have the little screw in the top hole. Can you snap a picture of the top portion where it connects. I am curious if yours looks like the manual or if it looks like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merccrazy View Post

[/quote]

Same as all the rest but mine came with a screw.wink.gif I wouldn't worry about it.

So I am missing a screw haha, thanks for the confirmation. Yeah it's no big deal, at least it sits properly without it

AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:

Eric, there is a plastic shroud which fits over the top part of the stand and is held in place by a single screw. This isn't a load bearing piece as far as I can tell and appears to simply be there for aesthetics. I believe the screw that holds it is the same as the screws that hold the rest of the base together (you should have gotten an extra).

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsofwei View Post

Awesome.. even better! Thanks for that. Maybe has something to do with the phosphors aging or whatever. I'm over the moon with this TV. I haven't even messed with settings yet but THX picture mode on Warm 1 and 50 Contrast works great for me. In a week or so I'll probably work up the nerve to up the contrast back up to 60. Still, the TV is plenty bright, as I'm used to the light output of plasma. And going from 54" to 65" is just wonderful.. and given how thin the bezel is on this tv, it's not that much bigger than my old 54" V10.

The one aspect of the design I'm not crazy about is the chrome border. That picks up light from all over the house and can be distracting.. but again, nitpicks smile.gif

Maybe try applying LightDims strips to the chrome border. I think I'm going to try that.

They have a new product, Customizable Edition, which lets you cut custom strips/shapes.

http://www.lightdims.com/store.htm
Old 12-21-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:

This sounds like my problem. It is a sort grainy (I call it furry) issue. You are right, it really distracts from the picture. I am having a new VT60 sent to me to double check that it isn't the set. If it is the same result, then I may go with either a less expensive set, or an LCD. If this is really content quality issue, and the picture is going to look like this for what I watch most, then I can do without the best picture tv and settle for another that maybe won't do this.

Yup also a June build. I watched We are the Millers last night and the graininess is definitely WAY better on Blu-ray, but still a bit there. Not sure if I was just being sensitive to it when watching Avatar or what. So I guess it may be a content issue? But for the quality of the screen, either I really need to do a custom cal because Dnice and Larry's setting still give to much "greeness" or my set is screwy. Not sure what to think at this point.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Eric, there is a plastic shroud which fits over the top part of the stand and is held in place by a single screw. This isn't a load bearing piece as far as I can tell and appears to simply be there for aesthetics. I believe the screw that holds it is the same as the screws that hold the rest of the base together (you should have gotten an extra).

Right. It is a cosmetic cover to hide the screws. If your setup is such that that part of the TV may be visible, it is unsightly. Yes, the panel has to be removed from the base to put the cover on.

Larry
Old 12-21-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
what the heck. wanted to use the amazon video app to stream amazon prime videos and was prompted for an update. when updated the app was gone? i can't find it anywhere. when i try to go online via the web app. all i get is "unsecure connection" i can't go anywhere but the panasonic page. frown.gif anyone know whats up with that?
Old 12-21-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post

I got mine a week ago. 2 big guys with bad BO delivered it, unboxed it, set it up on the stand, and put it in position. They turned it on so I could check for obvious defects, and then left, taking the packaging material with them. There is NO way I could do it myself; too big, heavy and awkward to move safely. This is all part of the Amazon shipping guarantee.

I decided to tip the guys, so I ran outside with a $20, just in time to watch the driver kick a hamburger wrapper out of his cab, onto my driveway, and then start to close his door. I guess I was overtaken by the holiday spirit, because I still gave him the tip, then I bent over and told him I'll pick up his trash for him. Humans are weird.

I've decided to mostly ignore posts and advice on IR, other than the obvious of not leaving static images on for too long. We moderate between movies, TV and xbox enough that I don't think I'm going to stress about it. We never watch or play anything on the TV for more than 2-3 hours at a stretch.
Ha!The delivery guys from Pilot just dropped the box in my living room and left.So much for enhanced delivery.I unboxed it myself and attached it to the stand.When the wife came home we picked it up and put it on the cabinet.I complained to Amazon about the shoddy delivery but haven't heard back.

Mark
Old 12-21-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc351 View Post

Yup also a June build. I watched We are the Millers last night and the graininess is definitely WAY better on Blu-ray, but still a bit there. Not sure if I was just being sensitive to it when watching Avatar or what. So I guess it may be a content issue? But for the quality of the screen, either I really need to do a custom cal because Dnice and Larry's setting still give to much "greeness" or my set is screwy. Not sure what to think at this point.

Yeah, same here. I popped on The Hobbit blu ray and settled down a bit. Like I said if it is a content issue, then I will probably return it again and order a different tv. I am a digital content (Netflix) and cable (football) kind of guy, so this will be a constant bother to me if it persists.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

I received my new 55VT60 today and I'm currently running D-Nice's slides. Mine is a June 2013 build too, what problem should I be looking for?

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
Old 12-21-2013, 04:40 PM
fcb
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Consumer Report's take on professional calibration can be found here:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2013/01/take-your-tv-watching-experience-to-the-next-level/index.htm

Fred

Don't make 'em like they used to, but charge you double price, promise you steak but give you beans and rice.
Just ain't enough good stuff!

Panasonic 65VT60

Yamaha RX-V3900

Ohm Walsh 200 Mk-2

Uverse

HP H8-1360T

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv