Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 15634 Old 05-05-2013, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So for those that are experiencing the low level humm which I guess the consensus is fan noise, has anyone received a response form Pana on this? I couldn't wait for customer service so I emailed it but no reply yet. I really don;t want to return this baby because she is gorgeous but this noise is driving me nuts, now I can't not hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 15634 Old 05-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are there any 60" vt60's with the buzz? Mine does not have the issue
post #903 of 15634 Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl13 View Post

So for those that are experiencing the low level humm which I guess the consensus is fan noise, has anyone received a response form Pana on this? I couldn't wait for customer service so I emailed it but no reply yet. I really don;t want to return this baby because she is gorgeous but this noise is driving me nuts, now I can't not hear it.
What size screen do you have? I have the 65 inch and can hear the fan from 12 feet away. They all make fan noise although some are quieter than others. The 50 series did the same thing. One would think they could have defeated the fan noise on the new models but that isn't the case. I will be at the shoot out and this is one of the issues I want to talk with Panasonic about.
Denniswrly likes this.
post #904 of 15634 Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
What size screen do you have? I have the 65 inch and can hear the fan from 12 feet away. They all make fan noise although some are quieter than others. The 50 series did the same thing. One would think they could have defeated the fan noise on the new models but that isn't the case. I will be at the shoot out and this is one of the issues I want to talk with Panasonic about.

I have a 65 as well. The TV is awesome but this is nuts. I'm 14' away on the couch and on drops in dialogue/sound its there and obvious. Please post any remarks or reactions you get from Panny.
post #905 of 15634 Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM

Liked: 17
65 inch and I can hear it from twelve feet away, it wouldn't be so noticeable if it didn't modulate up and down.

My VT50 had a hum too but it was at a consistent level so I got used to it.

The left corner fan does sound a lot louder, I should run a sound level check next to the fans on both sides.
post #906 of 15634 Old 05-05-2013, 08:42 PM

First post, but long time lurker. I got my 60VT60 last week, and you can count me as yet another one that's having fan noise issues. I've had various plasmas since 2006, but never had one with this much noise. It's not the typical buzz that comes with plasmas...that's there, but not a problem. The issue is an absurdly loud fan that can be clearly heard during any drops in dialogue or low volume situations while sitting 12 feet away on my couch. It's coming from the fan on the upper right hand side (if facing the front of the panel)....if you cover it, the sound is greatly diminished. The other fan seems fine. I've had three other people come over and all remark on the noise. The VT60 is replacing an 18-month old Samsung plasma that was also 60" and mounted in the same spot -- it was quiet as could be.

Totally disappointing...love everything about the set, but this is unbearable. It's going back....just debating whether I want to exchange it for another VT60 in hopes that the next one won't be so loud, or go in a different direction all together.
post #907 of 15634 Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Wow, what's that? Four or five of you now? Panasonic, your lack of QC is letting me down. mad.gif Hopefully, this is limited to a single batch (not much comfort to those of you with one already, but for the rest of us, who can only hope).
post #908 of 15634 Old 05-05-2013, 09:00 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Wow, what's that? Four or five of you now? Panasonic, your lack of QC is letting me down. mad.gif Hopefully, this limited to a single batch (not much comfort to those of you with one already, but for the rest of us, who can only hope).

And the hits just keep on coming.......

TWD
post #909 of 15634 Old 05-05-2013, 09:45 PM

Liked: 11
A portion of the bezel looks like it is clear (i.e., see through) based on the pictures on panny's website. Is this true? If so, how wide is the see through portion of the bezel?
post #910 of 15634 Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

A portion of the bezel looks like it is clear (i.e., see through) based on the pictures on panny's website. Is this true? If so, how wide is the see through portion of the bezel?

I could be wrong but the ST60/VT60/ZT60 all have "chrome" edge to the bezel. The VT60 and ZT60 share a simillar design as far as looks go, with the ZT missing the side speakers and the ST60 has a "different layout around the edge. If you take a lok to the right of this thread youll see "Recent Images in this thread" take a look at the photos owners ahve posted it should give you a very good idea of how the bezel looks wink.gif
post #911 of 15634 Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 PM

Liked: 11
It looks clear, at least on the bottom, to my eye. There are a couple close up pictures where I can see the stand legs through the clear bezel on the bottom. However, I can't tell from the pictures if the bezel on the sides has a clear strip or a chrome strip.

Owners, is it clear on the sides too? If so, how wide is the clear piece on each side?
post #912 of 15634 Old 05-05-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post

It looks clear, at least on the bottom, to my eye. There are a couple close up pictures where I can see the stand legs through the clear bezel on the bottom. However, I can't tell from the pictures if the bezel on the sides has a clear strip or a chrome strip.

Owners, is it clear on the sides too? If so, how wide is the clear piece on each side?

It's chrome on the sides, clear on the bottom. The clear bottom on my 60" is about 3/8 of an inch.
post #913 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 12:35 AM

Liked: 12
So I had a nice lengthy conversation with a rep from Panny today in my local Best Buy. He was in town with the regional Best Buy manager which was interesting.

Anyway, I vocalized my concerns to a different Best Buy (where the rep was) than I usually go to just to get some 2nd pinons. He told me I was "in luck" they had a regional sales rep from Panasonic in the store.

I had to wait for sometime but he finally came down and introduced himself to me. I described to him the three noises I've been hearing:
-Buzzing from fans
-Humming from (panel maybe)
-Woorrrhhing noises from bottom of panel. (can't isolate this noise either).

His first question was how I had the set connected but when I told him I had it hooked into a low-mid level conditioner (Panamax 4300, newer model) he seemed satisfied. He followed up with where I hat the tv and I responded with my town here in Co that sits at 5800 feet.

His response was this:
All plasma televisions run hotter and pull more power than your run of the mill LCD set. He added they are also are sensitive to dirty power and altitude. He told me the set was rated for 7200 feet but that doesn't mean there isn't a difference in how the sets performs from sea level to 5000 feet above. In my case he believes at 5800 feet I could have the tv 10 years with no problems but he did add the humming could possibly get worse over time since the altitude affects the longevity of the set. He said there was no guarantee to that happening either though. He did tell me he is positive the cooling systems in this years VT (didn't ask about other models) were different than those of last years since they are trying to integrate more smart features to stay competitive. He didn't know exactly how they are different but was told they were and could be a little nosier but the advantages of having the additional features over mild dbs increase was well worth it. He proceeded to tell me that breaking in my set or having it adjusted would NOT effect the amount of noise the set makes and If I couldn't tolerate the buzzing I should consider their new line of LED sets (once a salesman....).

He mentioned that not all tvs are made alike and If I wanted to swap my set for another I could (I already knew this) and its possible that my 2nd set wouldn't be so noisy. I asked him If its possible that mine is louder because of our altitude and could someones exact same set be less noisy closer to sea level and he replied possibly but the dbs difference would be minimal. Oh, and he also suggested I experiment with some cooling boxes on my stand/facing up behind my tv to increase air flow in the attempt to cool down and quiet the set more. I laughed a little inside.

That's all I could get out of him. He did tell me he isn't a tech, engineer or even certified to calibrate the sets so all his information is based off what they tell them in training before they go off to market the sets.

As I stated earlier the buzzing drives me nuts and its very evident with normal tv watching. I understand some can drown it out (as I could too) but at night I have to listen to my volume lower and sound system off since my gf is sleeping in the next room and I can hear it all the time during that viewing period.

My Geek Squad tech who works on their Plasma warranty cases is coming out tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if the believes the set is noisy, normal or there is something wrong with It. But with the elevated level of complaints I'm not sure its not just this panel and some will be able to tolerate it and some won't.
post #914 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 12:37 AM

Just my two cents.

I'll chime in some more tomorrow after the tech leaves.
post #915 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 02:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1400 View Post

Just my two cents.

One thing is for sure. You enjoy writing about your plasma experience. biggrin.gif
post #916 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

One thing is for sure. You enjoy writing about your plasma experience. biggrin.gif

Sorry htwaits lol so much for me to learn lots of information out there
post #917 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Tarheel,

I think I'd still try another copy of the same set.

As sure as rain, someone else will post a similar issue in a few months and it'd be good to know how to go about it.....meaning exchange it for another one or move on to LED. So you're the beta site. smile.gif

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #918 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 AM

Easy fix for buzzing ... Pump up the volume ! smile.gif
post #919 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by majik29 View Post

First post, but long time lurker. I got my 60VT60 last week, and you can count me as yet another one that's having fan noise issues. I've had various plasmas since 2006, but never had one with this much noise. It's not the typical buzz that comes with plasmas...that's there, but not a problem. The issue is an absurdly loud fan that can be clearly heard during any drops in dialogue or low volume situations while sitting 12 feet away on my couch. It's coming from the fan on the upper right hand side (if facing the front of the panel)....if you cover it, the sound is greatly diminished. The other fan seems fine. I've had three other people come over and all remark on the noise. The VT60 is replacing an 18-month old Samsung plasma that was also 60" and mounted in the same spot -- it was quiet as could be.

Totally disappointing...love everything about the set, but this is unbearable. It's going back....just debating whether I want to exchange it for another VT60 in hopes that the next one won't be so loud, or go in a different direction all together.

As somebody who has dealt with this issue on multiple products ranging from laptops, to "all in one" desktop PC's, to blu ray players and to plasma TV's, I feel your pain, trust me. This is a deal-breaker for me, 100%. Glad I am still on the fence as to what my next TV will be. For those with ST60's models, do you also experience the same loud fan noise?
post #920 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 AM

Have had my 60VT60 since Thursday.

Yes, I hear the fan if I poke my face behind that big beautiful screen.

But the acoustics in my room must different and dampening the fan noise, because I do not hear it " from the seats" .

Will report otherwise if that changes...
post #921 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Medaglia View Post

As somebody who has dealt with this issue on multiple products ranging from laptops, to "all in one" desktop PC's, to blu ray players and to plasma TV's, I feel your pain, trust me. This is a deal-breaker for me, 100%. Glad I am still on the fence as to what my next TV will be. For those with ST60's models, do you also experience the same loud fan noise?
I have both 65" ST and VT , the ST doesn't have fans at all only the VT and I expect ZT
post #922 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 706
post #923 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonThomasDesigns View Post

I have both 65" ST and VT , the ST doesn't have fans at all only the VT and I expect ZT

The ST has no fans at all? Thank you for the heads up. Good to know. I was not aware of that. my 65V10 does have fans, but they were never an issue for me (the buzzing was, but amazingly and inexplicably enough that subsided with the years).
post #924 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The rocket Scientists over at Panasonic probably have a good reason for this........
I'm not sure why the VT has fans , they are on the top corners , not sure why they would get hotter than the ST ? It's not like the fans are for the Hexa-Processing engine .. Unless randomly they put it in the corner .. The ST has mesh holes in the same spots as the VT fans , just no fans ... Only thing I can think of the the 1 sheet of glass design of the VT get warmer .. No idea
post #925 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonThomasDesigns View Post

I'm not sure why the VT has fans , they are on the top corners , not sure why they would get hotter than the ST ? It's not like the fans are for the Hexa-Processing engine .. Unless randomly they put it in the corner .. The ST has mesh holes in the same spots as the VT fans , just no fans ... Only thing I can think of the the 1 sheet of glass design of the VT get warmer .. No idea
So my guess is the additional processing power probably causes a need for more cooling. Additional the single sheet design could factor in as air flow is dependent on the form factor. So those two things combined probably cause the need for some additional fans. Mine are mostly pretty quiet, kind of loud when it starts for a second and then mostly unnoticeable.
post #926 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Wow, what's that? Four or five of you now? Panasonic, your lack of QC is letting me down. mad.gif Hopefully, this is limited to a single batch (not much comfort to those of you with one already, but for the rest of us, who can only hope).

We all know Panasonic has been financially bleeding rather badly and I am afraid this might be starting to show up in their products this year (I hope not!) I was strongly considering the 65VT60 this year but have concerns now although still considering...but tough call for me.

post #927 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 AM

The fan issue should be a relatively easy fix. If only some are experiencing this, then it should be hardware and replacement fans should do the trick. I guess we could limp along and add in some rubber/foam/acoustic dampening but that seems weak. I'm going to try and add some fabric backing to the wall directly behind my TV. I'm thinking that the sound is reverberating off the drywall and being amplified by the shape and distance of the TV to the wall. This is my fix until Panny comes with something. I really don't want to swap panels. I know some are scared, but this TV PQ is awesome, this is just a hiccup.
post #928 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 AM

The picture quality is truely stunning even out of the box, there is a noticeable difference in contrast even when compared too last years VT50 series.

Cant wait too have her calibrated.

I will on the other hand contact Panasonic about the fan noise, which I feel is dramatically louder than my old VT50 during silent scenes.

I have decided too keep her either way. smile.gif
post #929 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel1400 View Post

Just my two cents.

I was looking forward to your findings, but decided this weekend that I was done trying to figure it out with my fan hum. If I partially block the exhaust, it is mostly muted. Blocking the exhaust though with some makeshift muffler is not what I wanted to do with a TV this expensive. With the amount of heat coming out of it, I do not even know if that would be safe. So, it is going back. Not worth the effort getting another one since my ears already know this noise. Noisy fans on a TV, who does that? rolleyes.gif
post #930 of 15634 Old 05-06-2013, 10:15 AM

Liked: 14
With all this talk about fan noise/buzzing I just wanted to let readers know that my 55" VT60 is completely silent. In fairness, I have to say that I didn't go and stick my head behind the panel with the volume off but then again I figure there's no reason to look for trouble. In my den, with the sound completely muted the TV is dead silent from my seating position. And my hearing is 20/20 (or whatever the aural equivalent of that would be).

I feel strongly both ways!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page