Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 319 - AVS Forum
First ... 317  318  319 320  321  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
p3Orion's Avatar p3Orion 12:50 AM 01-02-2014
I'm experiencing an audio issue. When I connected my laptop via HDMI to my VT60 to play a movie I didn't get any sound from the TV's speakers. The sound only came from my laptop. I tried HDMI 2 and HDMI 3. The cable works fine - it's the same one that I'm using to connect my PS3. I've connected my laptop numerous times to a 2008 Panasonic plasma with no issues. Any suggestions?

vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 01:02 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Baron View Post

If DNice told you to rub **** on the display for a week straight most people here would.. I know he's a smart guy but he seems to be the only only person who does this.. Lots of sheep here. Just get it calibrated. No two panels panels are the same. Spend the money of just use the THX mode.
Keep it classy now. Another reason to run the slides is to achieve accelerated aging so that a calibration can be done (the Panasonic phosphors have been shown to not settle down until approximately 300 hours), and another reason still is to give the panel a stress test of sorts, something that's already been referenced several times over the past several pages.
jarsofwei's Avatar jarsofwei 03:26 AM 01-02-2014
Has anyone dealt with the green or pink blob issue on the VT60? My 65VT60 definitely has the issue and while it's most noticeable in light slides, it definitely can be seen in normal content. An easy way to check is to look at the lightest grey break-in slide.

I've heard some talk that the blobs resolve over time, but I'm not sure if I want to risk sticking with a bad panel. Has anyone had this issue and seen it resolve over time? Or is a replacement the better way to go?

edit: i should note that the effect when observed on my screen is quite subtle, especially compared to some of the photos i've seen of the green blob from previous gen panasonic plasma.. still it's annoying knowing it's an issue at all. knowing how carefully folks on this thread scrutinize their screens, i'm wondering if i just got a bad one, given there is very little documented on this thread about this issue
chunon's Avatar chunon 05:50 AM 01-02-2014
How many hours on your panel and where are the blobs located ?
mbroadus's Avatar mbroadus 06:28 AM 01-02-2014
Feeling a little nervous about my 60VT60 delivery today...hoping I receive a good panel. I bought a 55VT60 last week and when the 60VT60 went on sale I called Best Buy to see if I could exchange and pay the $200 difference in price and they were more than happy to do the exchange. The 55VT60 has performed flawlessly. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Mike Baron's Avatar Mike Baron 06:43 AM 01-02-2014
It's just amazes me that people are parinoid about breaking In their display. .Just watch it. Put 300 hours on it, make sure its full screen. And try DNices or CNet.settings and enjoy. Or get it professionally calabrated. This isn't rocket science. ..If I couldn't watch my tv for 2 weeks because I had to run slides. I would never have bought the tv in the first place. .
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 07:07 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Feeling a little nervous about my 60VT60 delivery today...hoping I receive a good panel. I bought a 55VT60 last week and when the 60VT60 went on sale I called Best Buy to see if I could exchange and pay the $200 difference in price and they were more than happy to do the exchange. The 55VT60 has performed flawlessly. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Nothing to be nervous about. Any problems and they will just exchange it for another one. You should be excited.
Mike Baron's Avatar Mike Baron 07:10 AM 01-02-2014
2013-12-02 07.56.13.jpeg
smurraybhm's Avatar smurraybhm 08:46 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

Also, I wouldn't be to quick to believe anyone who has shelled out good money for calibration, not that they would intentionally be untruthful but because they may be seeing what they want to see.
Again, only double blind testing would prove this.

No double blind testing required when it is easy to see the improvements made from the calibration reports - many have fought a green push with some of the modes/panels. The reports only serve to verify what those of us see who have decided to have the display calibrated. i would also respectfully point out that THX Cinema may be the most accurate mode out of the box but it is far from perfect depending on the panel. Check my calibration reports out as an example. If you enjoy a picture that is meant to look as it should (reference) then calibration is the way to go. If I am spending this much on a display, then I don't have a problem spending a little more to ensure the picture is correct. Going throug a pro calibration is also a great way to learn more about your display. At the same time I can understand the relectance to spend the money, I went through that whole process when my Kuro was calibrated having already stretched myself financially just to buy the display.

P.S. Mike between your list of equipment and the picture above I wouldn't post your address on AVS smile.gif
Spacedave's Avatar Spacedave 08:59 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb View Post

Also, I wouldn't be to quick to believe anyone who has shelled out good money for calibration, not that they would intentionally be untruthful but because they may be seeing what they want to see.
Again, only double blind testing would prove this.

I have not had mine calibrated, still deciding, but most calibrators use measuring equipment, not eyeballs, to make sure that the colors and greyscale tracking are correct.. This is not too different from using a multi-band equalizer and a calibrated microphone to compensate for audio speakers and room interactions. These are measurements, with quantitative results, not subject to interpretation. It is up to you to decide if it is worth the money to have your TV closely match the published standards, but posted before/after measurements show that there is more than a placebo effect. Double blind is hardly the correct term to use for a purely visual experience.
willieconway's Avatar willieconway 09:16 AM 01-02-2014
Most? I sure hope you never encountered someone who "calibrated" without measuring. By definition it's impossible.
jarsofwei's Avatar jarsofwei 09:21 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

How many hours on your panel and where are the blobs located ?

About 100 hours on the panel. It's hard to say if it's a pink strip on the left edge (and a bit of the top left edge) of the screen. Or if there is a green blob taking up most of the left half of the screen (save for the left and top edges, which look pinker). Kinda relative depending on if the pink or green is considered "normal".
fcb's Avatar fcb 09:22 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedave View Post

I have not had mine calibrated, still deciding, but most calibrators use measuring equipment, not eyeballs, to make sure that the colors and greyscale tracking are correct.. This is not too different from using a multi-band equalizer and a calibrated microphone to compensate for audio speakers and room interactions. These are measurements, with quantitative results, not subject to interpretation. It is up to you to decide if it is worth the money to have your TV closely match the published standards, but posted before/after measurements show that there is more than a placebo effect. Double blind is hardly the correct term to use for a purely visual experience.

I think you are missing my point, which is that these sets are close enough to spec in THX mode that any further calibration is barely noticeable to the eye,
to the point where one could not tell the calibrated from uncalibrated set, or even which one was which.
Yes, in a professionally or even autocaled set the numbers are spot on perfect, the question is can you tell the difference.
So my questions in the double blind testing would be :
Which set Is in THX mode, Professionally calibrated, or autocaled?
Which of these set"s picture do you prefer?
Mike Baron's Avatar Mike Baron 09:27 AM 01-02-2014
I like the CNET settings. Bought it Oct.. Fan I don't hear it.. My power amp fan is louder. And I love the picture quality...
mrfattbill's Avatar mrfattbill 09:30 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

I'm experiencing an audio issue. When I connected my laptop via HDMI to my VT60 to play a movie I didn't get any sound from the TV's speakers. The sound only came from my laptop. I tried HDMI 2 and HDMI 3. The cable works fine - it's the same one that I'm using to connect my PS3. I've connected my laptop numerous times to a 2008 Panasonic plasma with no issues. Any suggestions?

Is the TV listed in the audio output devices on the laptop?

Bill
copene's Avatar copene 09:31 AM 01-02-2014
I've had my 65" VT60 running for a few days now after running the slides and inputting D-Nice's night time settings and to be honest with you, the blacks don't seem any deeper at all than the VT50's. I was expecting to be in amazement when watching blu-rays but the wow factor isn't there. In a blacked out room with full black on the screen I was expecting a lot more after seeing posted pictures and whatnot. The PQ is incredible none the less but the blacks are still lit up.

PS - Any way to turn off that eye bleeding red power light? What the hell is wrong with Panasonic?
kbreese's Avatar kbreese 09:39 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigfod View Post

I have found running Spears and Muncil to be helpful as the set breaks in to things set right. I am waiting for approval from the SO to get the set calibrated.
what is spears and muncil?
Ejs71's Avatar Ejs71 09:56 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

i went to friends house loaded them on thumbdrive on his pc and went home and did it..Mac i own also....
THANK YOU!! Thats exactly what I did..
Mike Baron's Avatar Mike Baron 09:59 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreese View Post

what is spears and muncil?
Law firm.. J/K
Codeman00's Avatar Codeman00 10:12 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post

I've had my 65" VT60 running for a few days now after running the slides and inputting D-Nice's night time settings and to be honest with you, the blacks don't seem any deeper at all than the VT50's. I was expecting to be in amazement when watching blu-rays but the wow factor isn't there. In a blacked out room with full black on the screen I was expecting a lot more after seeing posted pictures and whatnot. The PQ is incredible none the less but the blacks are still lit up.

PS - Any way to turn off that eye bleeding red power light? What the hell is wrong with Panasonic?

There still must be something wrong with your settings. I don't have a VT50 but I can tell you that with either DNice or CNETs settings, black are absolutely black in a dark room. I'm just amazed every time I watch the set on how inky black the blacks are.

Very strange too about the red light. I know it bothers a lot of people here but it doesn't bother me at all. Of course, I don't watch in a pitch black room either.
Sigfod's Avatar Sigfod 10:19 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbreese View Post


what is spears and muncil?

 

It is a calibration disc used to help get the TV settings closer to ideal.


vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 10:29 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

There still must be something wrong with your settings. I don't have a VT50 but I can tell you that with either DNice or CNETs settings, black are absolutely black in a dark room. I'm just amazed every time I watch the set on how inky black the blacks are.

Very strange too about the red light. I know it bothers a lot of people here but it doesn't bother me at all. Of course, I don't watch in a pitch black room either.
A blank signal being sent to the panel in a dark room is most certainly not as deep of a black as one would achieve with a FALD LCD-LED or OLED panel. The pictures one may see on the Internet are not representative of what one should expect in person.
Codeman00's Avatar Codeman00 10:34 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

A blank signal being sent to the panel in a dark room is most certainly not as deep of a black as one would achieve with a FALD LCD-LED or OLED panel. The pictures one may see on the Internet are not representative of what one should expect in person.

My bad...I just re-read his post....he's still on the slides. That makes sense....I'm talking about watching real content.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 10:38 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toynbert View Post

I am looking to mount a 65vt60, the mounting holes are pretty far apart, and the set is relatively heavy, anyone have any experience with a fully articulating mount?
Like any of these? I will still shop around for prices after I have picked one.

mounting holes are 684mm x 300mm on the TV, and I imagine the mount should be rated for 150lb+ to be safe.
Buy an American engineered mount, worth the added costs. Peerless mount , >>> click here <<<.
copene's Avatar copene 11:03 AM 01-02-2014
No, no, I'm done the slides. I did about 150 hours and played a whole bunch of full screen Pixar blu-rays afterwards as well as regular HD content. I finally got the room to myself and put Prometheus on around midnight and was kind of let down. I'm spoiled because of the VT50 and I know that the blacks are great but I was thinking the VT60 levels were going to be jaw dropping. I've gone through the settings multiple times and verified everything ten times over. Ah well...
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 11:10 AM 01-02-2014
Panasonic has never really made jaw-dropping improvements from one model year to the next, have they? I think your expectations were a bit high. I was just happy to be able to grab something of a much larger size than my 50" Kuro that performs similarly (without the black level tweak).
kbreese's Avatar kbreese 11:15 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Baron View Post

2013-12-02 07.56.13.jpeg
Nice micro satellites! wink.gif
copene's Avatar copene 11:32 AM 01-02-2014
I bought into the whole "it's not even close between the two sets in blacks" false pandemonium that always occurs with a new model being released. I should have known better...I'll just go back to enjoying the set now. Thanks guys-
chunon's Avatar chunon 11:56 AM 01-02-2014
Darker blacks really pay off in contrast ratio, yes it is nice to seem total black in a dark room but what does that really add to the pq ? There is no question the contrast ratio is superior to the VT50 on both the ST and VT60 that's where you should notice a difference. There are also limitations in what the eye can actually percieve also.
Codeman00's Avatar Codeman00 11:58 AM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post

I bought into the whole "it's not even close between the two sets in blacks" false pandemonium that always occurs with a new model being released. I should have known better...I'll just go back to enjoying the set now. Thanks guys-

I have found that the reviews are a lot of talk and lack the data that is needed to really compare different year model of sets. They terms dimmer, brighter, clearer, darker, even with that TV's measured numbers mean nothing unless the previous year's model numbers are listed too and measured under the same conditions. I tried to find out how this dimmer VT60 compared in panel brightness to my VT25 and it was impossible....the few numbers I found weren't apples to apples. A chart of previous models specs would go a long way for us to compare sets.
Tags: Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
First ... 317  318  319 320  321  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop