Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 328 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9811 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here's hoping they really deliver the VT65 tomorrow Amazon used Ceva which says on website delivery tomorrow but when I called first they told me it was still in Columbus Ohio so I asked does this mean another 3 or 4 days the lady said no its only a one day trip. I went on to tell her that it shipped on Jan 2 thats a total of 5 days if delivered tomorrow then she real quickly told me it should arrive in Dallas at 2am and will be delivered tomorrow. Also suppose to be White Glove I've read that a lot of times Ceva has shown up with only one person which will not work for me I'm a double amputee. Anyone else have problems from Ceva
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Here's hoping they really deliver the VT65 tomorrow Amazon used Ceva which says on website delivery tomorrow but when I called first they told me it was still in Columbus Ohio so I asked does this mean another 3 or 4 days the lady said no its only a one day trip. I went on to tell her that it shipped on Jan 2 thats a total of 5 days if delivered tomorrow then she real quickly told me it should arrive in Dallas at 2am and will be delivered tomorrow. Also suppose to be White Glove I've read that a lot of times Ceva has shown up with only one person which will not work for me I'm a double amputee. Anyone else have problems from Ceva
Thanks
You might want to let them know in advance you will not be able to assist with bringing it into the house. Also know they are not required to set it up. They will take the top of the box off for you to inspect and power it on depending on the weather. White glove delivery is really a mis-leading label for their delivery service.
post #9813 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Put on some full screen content (Pixar movies work well) and let the display run for 3 or 4 hours - you should see it improve. You can also purchase the Disney WOW disk which has a pixel flipper that works very well for those with IR. As for your friend and his comment about the pixel orbiter being off causing problems, don't listen to him/her. Pixel orbiter is the most misleading tool on a plasma display as it does little to prevent IR or burn-in. Yes it shifts the pixels slightly, so then you end up with a fuzzy logo. Mixing up what you watch will keep this from being a problem going forward and hopefully with additional hours be something you can forget about.

Smurraybhm, thanks so much for your response. I am purchasing the WoW bluray and will have it with me hopefully next week. What routine would you set up? Also 3 or 4 hours daily and check for improvements? I thought the same thing as you regarding pixel orbiter. I checked my bluray library, could play Up! and leave it until I return in about an hour. Could also let it run while I do other stuff at home. Do you think leaving the TV with screen wipe in Vivid mode will help as well or definitely go for content such as Pixar until I get the WoW disc? In any of the two cases, do you recommend Vivid mode? Finding this issue was a huge disappointment, I did watch mixed content all this time but I guess the hard white on that specific channel was too harsh for this TV. I made a big investment, payed twice the US value to ship it down to Argentina, so it kinda hurt eek.gif
post #9814 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
^WOW Disney pixel flipper in Vivid Mode (as you surmised) is the best remedy for what ails your set. Bright white logos are irksome. After 6-9 hours of watching sports several months ago, it took about 16 hours of using said disc to get ride of some similar IR (but much smaller) on my ZT60.
JohannFreytag likes this.
post #9815 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks

You might not hold your breath. I am not sure how things are down in Indianapolis, but in Chicago and Northern Indiana everything is shut down due to extreme cold and snow. I am seeing that many freeways in Indiana are blocked off and completely shut down. There are a lot of stuck trucks and cars. Some of the roads were proactively shut down to prevent that.

Ohio might be in a slightly better situation, but you might expect that delivery could take a few extra days.

I am waiting for my set, with a supposed Thursday delivery, but am not holding my breath. I'd rather the delivery personnel are safe than get my TV this week.
post #9816 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM

Liked: 10
Is it pretty unanimous among professionals and enthusiasts that the VT60 is best in its class when it comes to reproducing shadow detail?
post #9817 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackstoneJD View Post

Is it pretty unanimous among professionals and enthusiasts that the VT60 is best in its class when it comes to reproducing shadow detail?
Yes, along with the ZT60.
post #9818 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^WOW Disney pixel flipper in Vivid Mode (as you surmised) is the best remedy for what ails your set. Bright white logos are irksome. After 6-9 hours of watching sports several months ago, it took about 16 hours of using said disc to get ride of some similar IR (but much smaller) on my ZT60.

Agree with Vinnie 100% - to answer your question. Just watch some full screen content in the meantime in addition to your favorite morning show. I have to confess that after I watch a letterbox movie I usually turn on HBO or something similar and leave it on for an hour or so if i am not planning to watch anything before loading up another movie. I am a little cautions still since I have a Kuro with lines that are visible if I look for them on during a really dark scene from watching a lot of movies a little full screen content on that display. So far after viewing a lot of different content with static logos (why broadcasters, why?) including football, RedZone and ESPN (any of their programs) I have yet to notice IR on my display. Enjoy and good luck. Steve
vinnie97 and JohannFreytag like this.
post #9819 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

You might want to let them know in advance you will not be able to assist with bringing it into the house. Also know they are not required to set it up. They will take the top of the box off for you to inspect and power it on depending on the weather. White glove delivery is really a mis-leading label for their delivery service.

If I may ask, was the injury from health reasons or serving our country?

My right arm amputation was due to on the job injury in 1991 and my right above knee was done in Jan 2012 due to blood clots after that in Feb and March of 2013 developed a 5 foot clot from stomach all the way to foot on left leg and end of stump on right leg almost died both times. I blame Docs for this they took me off all blood thinners after amputation. But hey life goes on and I'm back in my computer leg trying to learn to walk all over again. Got out during ice storm in Dallas and shoveled 5 inches of ice off of 2 car driveway with one hand took me 2 days but I did it.
cpc and Donat76 like this.
post #9820 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle117 View Post

You might not hold your breath. I am not sure how things are down in Indianapolis, but in Chicago and Northern Indiana everything is shut down due to extreme cold and snow. I am seeing that many freeways in Indiana are blocked off and completely shut down. There are a lot of stuck trucks and cars. Some of the roads were proactively shut down to prevent that.

Ohio might be in a slightly better situation, but you might expect that delivery could take a few extra days.

I am waiting for my set, with a supposed Thursday delivery, but am not holding my breath. I'd rather the delivery personnel are safe than get my TV this week.

On their website it shows it left on Friday from Indiana but we will see I also asked the lady about the 2 people delivery they told me it was white glove and they would have 2 people here to move it inside. But then again she was probably just telling me what she thought I wanted to hear.
post #9821 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My right arm amputation was due to on the job injury in 1991 and my right above knee was done in Jan 2012 due to blood clots after that in Feb and March of 2013 developed a 5 foot clot from stomach all the way to foot on left leg and end of stump on right leg almost died both times. I blame Docs for this they took me off all blood thinners after amputation. But hey life goes on and I'm back in my computer leg trying to learn to walk all over again. Got out during ice storm in Dallas and shoveled 5 inches of ice off of 2 car driveway with one hand took me 2 days but I did it.
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you have bounced back from it and didn't stop living.
post #9822 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you have bounced back from it and didn't stop living.

Anytime I start to whine or feeling sorry for myself about anything I go to a friends website Taylor Morris he was a Navy IED expert who lost both arms and both legs in Afghanistan theres nothing this guy still doesn't do. I have a couple friends who will be in Russia on the first Para Olympics snowboarding team.
post #9823 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Agree with Vinnie 100% - to answer your question. Just watch some full screen content in the meantime in addition to your favorite morning show. I have to confess that after I watch a letterbox movie I usually turn on HBO or something similar and leave it on for an hour or so if i am not planning to watch anything before loading up another movie. I am a little cautions still since I have a Kuro with lines that are visible if I look for them on during a really dark scene from watching a lot of movies a little full screen content on that display. So far after viewing a lot of different content with static logos (why broadcasters, why?) including football, RedZone and ESPN (any of their programs) I have yet to notice IR on my display. Enjoy and good luck. Steve
I have the colored slides on a USB drive and I just keep it plugged into the TV. If I run a static logo for a long time, I just power up the slides when I am done with the TV and leave them run for a while when I away from the TV. I am most confident in running the slides when I am not near my TV over a a cable channel or DVD.

The Disney WOW disc is on hand for emergency situations but so far in the first 100 hours I have used my TV I have not needed to bust it out yet. I thought last night I was going to though. I have recordings of the 2013 Nascar races for my 3 1/2 year old son who loves race cars. I played one of the races that was on ESPN and they have a huge board on top of the screen they pretty much stays there the entire time, even during commercials. After about 2 hours I had some pretty strong lines going across the top part of the TV. Wanted to see how the slides would handle it first. Walked away for about 15 minutes and it was complettely gone.

Needless to say I was kind of surprised how well it cleaned up in the short amount of time. I can live with that, Like I have said before, I don't care about a TV that gets IR but what I do care about is how quickly it cleans up.
post #9824 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:

Correct, we explain this to all of our clients, white glove includes unboxing, but not assembly. The stand is not attached and the drivers are not required to put the stand on or set up the unit. A nice $20 spot usually does it though........
post #9825 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 01:27 PM

Liked: 31
I know that pixel orbiter is not a sharpness control, but do you think, for purposes of picture quality, that it should be left OFF. Does having it on introduce fuzziness? I am not asking if it should be on or off to fight IR.
post #9826 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Yes, it should (be left off for the sole purpose of PQ).
post #9827 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just got my TV delivered via CEVA today and they unbox and assembly the pedestral for me, and even turn it on and try to set it up (date, clock etc).
I did a quick check and no dead pixel so far.
What else should I be checking?

Thanks in advance.
post #9828 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

I have a Pioneer SC-63 which I have confirmed allows pass thru. I have pass thru set up on the Pioneer Elite receiver and have no issues getting video to the VT65 with the receiver in stand-by mode. I have HDMI from cable box and PS3 to receiver and then HDMI from reciever to Panasonic VT65. I have run the self check on the panasonic and the speakers work fine. Am I missing something? Does anyone know why I am not able to transmit audio to television from cable box with SC-63 in stand-by mode with pass thru on?

Even when I have the receiver on with sound coming thru the surround sound speakers I cannot get any audio through the panasonic speakers. I have checked and Panasonic is not on mute and volume indication does change on Panasonic, just no audio sound.

Thanks!
I have a situation which may be similar. I just put my 55VT60 up after about 90 hours of break-in. My Cable DVR is plugged into HDMI1, the Sony Bluray player via a Denon AVR-591 is in HDMI2 and my Roku3 is in HDMI3. The sets speakers work with the DVR and the Roku but when it detects the Denon they turn off completely. This happens whether the AVR is using the TV's HDMI 1 or 2 inputs. Mind you, this is not necessarily a bad thing since when the AVR is running, I had always lowered my old ST30's volume to 0 anyway but I'm not sure about whether this a feature or a settings problem. The Denon does, in theory have HDMI pass through but it then cuts the volume off the receivers other HDMI inputs so it's not particularly useful. This all may have something to do with ARC, HDAVI control, Viera Link or all of them but I can't seem to find a specific answer out there. Does anyone have some information on the speaker cutoff
post #9829 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehmia View Post

I understand a little about burn-in (more appropriately IR), but can IR be permanent? I had a long weekend this past few days and the wife and I played Sims 3 on PS3 for about 6-8 hours (it was cold and we just had a lazy Saturday, don't judge!). All the while I completely didn't think about the static menus that are on screen the entire time played, and after just turned the TV off and went to bed. The next morning I turned the TV on and immediately noticed the menu's being substantially "retained" in the lower left and right of the screen. I panicked for 2 seconds and then read online about the screen wipe function. I set that to run, ran errands for 2 hours, and came back to about a 50% improvement. For the rest of the day I watched regular TV (HBO to avoid any chance of logos) and there was about another 20% improvement. I can still see it there but the defined lines of the menu are now blurred yet still present. I then read that it is good to run screen wipe directly after long sessions of static image use BEFORE turning off the TV to help dissipate the IR quickly.

So, how screwed is my beloved VT60? A little background, I got the TV before Thanksgiving, ran 100 hrs of the dnice slides, and am using his settings. I would estimate the set having 250-500 hrs.

edit: Also, pixel orbiter has always been set to Auto.

on my vt50 I've had a channel logo IR stay on my screen for a month at a time. now that the set is much older and i have employed my own method of non invasive tv babying smile.gif I don't ever see any (except the other form that happens only upon tv startup and instantly fades)

ie long term doesn't mean you need to wrry about burn in necessarily (it'd have to be really long for that). Also, running cartoons (varied pictures) full screen will help with your IR better than a screen wipe. As a friend, Les, would say, "can you see how using the wipe to age all the pixels uniformly would not be the best way to change the look of uneven aging?"
post #9830 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 02:18 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRSD View Post

I know the PS4 cant do 3d (yet), but I can just hook up my PS3 (same power connector & hdmi cable) and swap out the PS4 in the event the kids want to watch 3d movies.

So in the event I do swap the PS4 for the PS3, is there an hdmi switch or splitter I could use to get FULL 3d to the VT60 and the lossless audio to the SC-27 at the same time?

My goal is to NOT have to part with my beloved SC-27. She is a beast and runs perfectly.

Why don't you just run HDMI from PS3 to vt60, and optical from PS3 to SC-27? Are you worried about losing lossless through HDMI? You might try switching between optical and HDMI to see if you really notice a difference.

My priorities? Each one of my speakers weighs more than my VT60.
post #9831 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Watched Skyfall blu-ray last night on THX Cinema setting and was blown away...source is everything!

Picking up my BD copy from walmart tonite. Can't wait to check it out biggrin.gif
post #9832 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa3 View Post

I think Downton Abbey was just too dark to start with. Try watching a rebroadcast on another set and will probably be too dark there too. I haven't watched the whole episode, but the opening indoor scenes look badly produced - dim, crushed blacks. Not a good reference for judging a set.

In the past, the difference in picture quality between the broadcast and the BD sources of Downton has been astounding. I have the first three seasons on BD (the first two in region free versions from the UK) and last night's broadcast was by far the worst PQ. Shame on you, PBS. mad.gif

Larry
post #9833 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post

Why don't you just run HDMI from PS3 to vt60, and optical from PS3 to SC-27? Are you worried about losing lossless through HDMI? You might try switching between optical and HDMI to see if you really notice a difference.

NO WAY - I need lossless audio from my blu's.

I went out and bought a Panasonic BDT500 for $159.
I had BDT330 I got from Best Buy this past Saturday, but after seeing the BDT500 on Amazon for $10 cheaper, I returned the 330 and bought the 500.

My 65" VT60 arrives tomorrow morning so I'll hook up the bluray player then.

PSN: DonVCorleone
Nintendo Network ID: DonRSD
3DS Friend Code: 0018-0138-6226

The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat
post #9834 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehmia View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Permanent IR = burn-in
It's not screwed, but if you really want to tackle ornery IR, grab the WOW Disney disc and use its pixel flipper tool in Vivid mode. I have slight uneven coloration on my ZT60 from some of the first weeks of football where the scoreboard graphic is displayed. This is fortunately not visible on regular content (just slides), but it shows just how susceptible these panels can be to static content.

I have the WOW disc and didn't even think about that, thanks! Will pop that in when I get home.

When you run the pixel flipper, make sure you turn Overscan Off and turn the orbiter to Auto (Off). The pixel flipper is a Java Applet that flips each pixel on and off 24 or 29 times a second depending on your Blu-ray players output. It loads a 1920 x 1080 screen so if you have overscan, it won't flip the individual pixels because the image is stretched and won't have 1:1 pixel mapping.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1:1_pixel_mapping

I also turn off all the processing on the Blu-ray player and the TV when running it for an extended period of time.

The pixel mapping is probably more important then the post processing by the player and the TV but I like to turn that stuff off just in case it tries to alter things
post #9835 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 PM

Liked: 16
Quick question. I'm trying to turn pixel orbit or to auto but it's gray out to on.. Anyone know how to chafe this??
post #9836 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

I know that pixel orbiter is not a sharpness control, but do you think, for purposes of picture quality, that it should be left OFF. Does having it on introduce fuzziness? I am not asking if it should be on or off to fight IR.

To get 1:1 pixel mapping on your TV with a 1080p image, you will have to turn off overscan and the pixel orbiter to Auto (Off). It does produce a slightly sharper image because the image isn't scaled up for the overscan. The pixel orbiter doesn't do much IMO. The TV shows I watch have mostly friendly network bugs that are light grey, so I don't worry about IR and never had anything persistent.
post #9837 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convo View Post

Quick question. I'm trying to turn pixel orbit or to auto but it's gray out to on.. Anyone know how to chafe this??

If Over scan is turned off, this may be grayed out. Also sometimes you have to be sending a signal to the TV from your source, otherwise some other options are also grayed out.
post #9838 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Liked: 16
It was the signal! Running my slides for a bit but plan to mix it with tv too.. Man this thing is impressive!!!

Thanks for help guys
post #9839 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa3 View Post

I think Downton Abbey was just too dark to start with. Try watching a rebroadcast on another set and will probably be too dark there too. I haven't watched the whole episode, but the opening indoor scenes look badly produced - dim, crushed blacks. Not a good reference for judging a set.

In the past, the difference in picture quality between the broadcast and the BD sources of Downton has been astounding. I have the first three seasons on BD (the first two in region free versions from the UK) and last night's broadcast was by far the worst PQ. Shame on you, PBS. mad.gif

Larry

One thing I have noticed about OTA networks is that some allocate more bandwidth to offer more standard definition sub channels and one sub par HD channel. CBS affiliates are usually not allowed to have any sub channels because of this. Although some still do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subchannel

From Wikipedia...

"As the amount of data which can be carried on one digital television channel at one time is limited, the addition of multiple channels of programming as digital subchannels comes at the expense of having less available bandwidth for other purposes, such as high-definition television. A station carrying multiple subchannels will normally limit itself to one high-definition channel, with the additional channels being carried in standard definition.[citation needed] Because of the tradeoffs, stations owned by CBS Corporation that are a part of CBS Television Stations (which include CBS O&O's, CW O&O's, and some independent stations) are not permitted to have digital subchannels."
post #9840 of 14926 Old 01-06-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 147
Donat,

Where I am, the PBS station has a main HD channel and 3 SD sub-channels. So, yes the PQ for the main has always been deteriorated due to limited bandwidth but with other programs it is still reasonably watchable. Last night, the terrible PQ problem was only when Downton was shown.

Larry
Donat76 likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page