Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 331 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9901 of 14803 Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

http://www.lightdims.com/store.htm

Thanks Guys. Yes, I had lightDIM but just want to check smile.gif Looks like it is sticker time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 14803 Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
anyone can confirm if my math is correct or not?
I displayed a 100% (with PLUGE) pattern using DVE HD Basic disc, and using my LUX meter, I measure about 120lux for 50% contrast, and 140lux for 60%, and 180 for 80%.
I am not sure how to convert from LUX to ftL, but after some search, seems like LUX is for lumiance (emitting), and ftL is for illuminace (reflecting). Since there is no screen to reflect, I just assume there is no loss of reflection, and thus, 1 lux / 3.426 = 1 ftL, is this correct?

So, 50% contrast --> 120 lux = 35 ftL
60% contrast --> 140 lux = 41ftL
and 80% contrast --> 180 lux = 52ftL.

I just want to know if this sounds right or not. I can probably take out my i1 Display Pro to save me from doing the math, but my lux meter is more easily accessible vs the i1 Display PRO and also need to setup CALMAN...

Thanks!
post #9903 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is a gap between the glass screen and the red led power on light. Just place a small piece of black paper in there, it works for me.
post #9904 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

"Bright" is relative. Depending on the room and your viewing conditions and distance etc, it can be very different. The best way would be to measure the FtL or lumens. Now, even with the same ftL, people all have different taste as to what is good and bright, but at least we then know if it is a device issue, or just a personal taste issue. Some people would think 30 is plenty bright, but some may need 50, but without objective data, "bright" is just not enough.
A lot of people actually watch their TV on way brighter level then necessary. You can go into the LED thread and see people watching their TV's on the highest brightness level at night and then wondering why their screens looks like crap and their blacks aren't black at all.

The only reason to really turn the brightness up on a TV to LED levels is to cut through reflections and lighting during the day and even then most LED's are so reflective you still cannot see the picture. As the sun goes down so should your TV brightness as it will also effect eye fatigue as well and just give you a better looking picture overall.

If people are struggling so hard to see their TV, it might be time to glasses if you don't already wear them. You will be amazed how much brighter and clearer the world looks with them. I was in denial for years that I needed glasses but now that I finally got myself a pair, all I can say is what a difference they make. I am not saying this as a joke either. The main reason I went to get tested and got glasses was because it was struggling to see the 3D clear on the TV when I was using the 3D glasses. I finally said to myself maybe it's time to get tested.

Anyway, if people have tried everything and are not happy with the TV, why not just get something else at that point? The F8500 might be your answer or just cave and go with an LED. At some point you have to pick with what you can live with and what you cannot. Nothing will be perfect.
post #9905 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

You are sure you turned on HDMI Control in your receiver? The default is Off. You double checked all of those, correct?

Does the cable box and blu-ray player run through the receiver first. If they do, they aren't using ARC.

And your sure you Monoprice Redmere HDMI cable has the source hooked up to the receiver? They are labeled.

If so, try a regular HDMI cable to see if that solves your problem.

The cablebox and blu-ray HDMI run to the receiver and then to the TV (connected to HDMI 2 ARC). Should each run to the TV HDMI input 1 & 3 first and then TV to Receiver via HDMI 2 ARC?

I made sure the Monoprice Redmere HDMI cables are connected from source (cablebox.blu-ray) to TV, aka: Receiver; then source (receiver) to TV HDMI 2 ARC.

Here's a link to the monoprice cable: Monoprice 9889 HDMI Cable

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #9906 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkenyon View Post

Where are you accessing the aps?

Apps menu on the Panny VT60.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #9907 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ceva says my VT65 is out for delivery it's 18° outside and 70° inside the house should I allow them to hook up and turn on I know they're not going to wait till plasma warms up. I would think it wouldn't be safe due to condensation. Should I make a note on paperwork that we could not start up plasma due to temp.
Thanks
post #9908 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 460
I wouldn't risk it, Pilot has a statement on their delivery sheet that they don't expect the set to be plugged in if the temp is under 40 degrees.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #9909 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Ageing the phosphors doesn't prevent IR. It''s for people that want to have their TV calibrated and not have it drift out of a calibrated state as quickly. I broke mine in for 500 hours the first month with content and slides. The first reason is I am going to have it calibrated and the second is to see if it fails within my return period. After that I use it normally.

To help REDUCE IR, keep your contrast low and watch full screen content between gaming sessions. I try at least a 50 / 50 mix. Don't expect to play 10 hours of video games and watch 1 hour of TV and not have visible IR. I use the WOW Disney Pixel flipper.

If you can, make your HUDS more transparent or turn them off.

So.. Ive been running the slides and noticed the custom setting has contrast at 100.  is that ok for slides?

I actually watched a movie like that too and didn't realize it heh

post #9910 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Ceva says my VT65 is out for delivery it's 18° outside and 70° inside the house should I allow them to hook up and turn on I know they're not going to wait till plasma warms up. I would think it wouldn't be safe due to condensation. Should I make a note on paperwork that we could not start up plasma due to temp.
Thanks
Ceva should not allow you to turn it on. They usually have strict instructions the TV cannot be tested under 50 degrees. Did you order from Amazon? If you did, then definitely nothing to worry about. You have 30 days to return the TV anyway. Just check the TV for any physical damage.
post #9911 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 06:08 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Are you using D'Nices settings for the VT60.? You might be better off not using those and go with THX Cinema or THX Bright Room.

Old but still relevant.
http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/12/the-fruits-of-copying-settings-the-pioneer-lottery/

It sounds like the blacks are getting crushed. I'm no expert but I would reset everything and do a basic calibration with a disk such as the Disney WOW disk to set brightness and contrast on THX Cinema and THX Bright Room.

On THX Cinema, my TV looks pretty close to perfect on all the test patterns as is. It's not calibrated yet but that will happen after I get my taxes back.

I appreciate everyone's comments on my panel brightness issue. I had to look up ABL because I wasn't familiar with it but now I'm informed. I'm disappointed to have the issue in first place because I really want to like this TV. And I'm glad to see there are a few others out there with the same issue. I notice this issue more with hockey and football than anything else. My wife thinks I'm crazy and that my VT25 looks the same as the VT60 (different rooms). Maybe I am crazy...I don't know. What I do know is that I do have glasses/contacts...so I don't see that being the issue!

I really do not want to send the TV back and am trying to work with it. My only other option is the Samsung for another $900 and it has a strange curved stand that runs the width of the TV. It looks like I'd need another wider AV stand to use it which would be another $300. It just doesn't make sense. And I can't go into a store and pick a TV because their settings are so awful that I can't compare PQ from one set to another...that's why I rely on reviews and opinions expressed on forums such as this.

I sometimes wonder if I had never read in the reviews that the VT60 isn't bright, if I would have ever perceived a difference? And what if I didn't have 2 VT25's in the house to watch? I guess I'll never know. I don't need retina burning brightness...just enough light on all content to meet my eyes so I don't have to struggle to see detail in the picture. I can appreciate a great picture and great colors...but maybe my baseline perception is based on the VT25's that I have watched for the last 3 years?

I'll order up the Disney Wow disk and see what happens. I'll probably need it anyway just for the pixel flipper. I have DVE, but I've never found it that easy to use. Maybe I can calibrate THX Bright room enough that it works for me even though its not exactly perfect. I'm running out of return time though...

XBR11, what are you going to do?
post #9912 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 06:11 AM

Liked: 11
I just finished 100+ hours of DNICE slides on my 60VT60.. I don't think I'll be able to use ControlCal to put in the settings.. but is there a way to do it manually or with the remote?

MY GEAR:

-Pioneer Elite SC-61 7.2 Channel Class D3 Amplification AVR*
-Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu ray Player
-Monitor Audio GX50 Piano Ebony Bookshelf Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio CT265-IDC Trimless In-Ceiling Speakers (pair)
-Monitor Audio GXW15, 15” C-CAM bass driver 650W D2Audio®* DSP controlled...
post #9913 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 06:19 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Quote:

You are sure you turned on HDMI Control in your receiver? The default is Off. You double checked all of those, correct?

Does the cable box and blu-ray player run through the receiver first. If they do, they aren't using ARC.

And your sure you Monoprice Redmere HDMI cable has the source hooked up to the receiver? They are labeled.

If so, try a regular HDMI cable to see if that solves your problem.

The cablebox and blu-ray HDMI run to the receiver and then to the TV (connected to HDMI 2 ARC). Should each run to the TV HDMI input 1 & 3 first and then TV to Receiver via HDMI 2 ARC?

I made sure the Monoprice Redmere HDMI cables are connected from source (cablebox.blu-ray) to TV, aka: Receiver; then source (receiver) to TV HDMI 2 ARC.

Here's a link to the monoprice cable: Monoprice 9889 HDMI Cable

That sounds like you have it hooked up right. You might want to try a different regular HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV without the Redmere chip in it to see if you can get ARC to work that way. It should work with the Redmere ones but it might be better to get that out of the equation first.

You can hook up a device directly to the TV and then have the sound go to the receiver through ARC on HDMI 2, but the digital audio stream will downsampled to 2 channels that way. Can you hook up an antennae to the TV and use the TV's tuner. That will output 5.1 DD through ARC to the receiver if you have it hooked up and the settings right.

[AND you never answered my question if HDMI CONTROL on your receiver is TURNED ON. The DEFAULT is OFF
mbroadus likes this.
post #9914 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That sounds like you have it hooked up right. You might want to try a different regular HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV without the Redmere chip in it to see if you can get ARC to work that way. It should work with the Redmere ones but it might be better to get that out of the equation first.

You can hook up a device directly to the TV and then have the sound go to the receiver through ARC on HDMI 2, but the digital audio stream will downsampled to 2 channels that way. Can you hook up an antennae to the TV and use the TV's tuner. That will output 5.1 DD through ARC to the receiver if you have it hooked up and the settings right.

[AND you never answered my question if HDMI CONTROL on your receiver is TURNED ON. The DEFAULT is OFF

Not sure...I don't remember the Receiver's setup function asking about HDMI Control, only input/output. I'll have to check when I get home.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #9915 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 06:56 AM

I had a tough time deciding between the 65" VT and ZT but brought home a VT60 last weekend. Coming from a 54" G25 and expected this one to be equal or better all around. Right away noticed some flicker, watching the NFL playoffs it looked good but on the commercials I felt like the white was off when it filled the screen, more of a gray. Also noticed some posterization and green clay looking highlights to one of the African-American coaches faces on close up.

Watched The Hobbit Blu-ray on Sunday night and it looked good but maybe a bit dim even with all the lights off. Watched Bad Company DVD with the lights off Monday night and the set looked fantastic throughout the movie! Woke up yesterday morning thinking I LOVED the set. Them last night I watched Breaking Bad off Netflix last night using my media PC, the same one I watched football with on Sunday and used for all OTA and streaming on my G25. Picture kinda sucked with lots of what I would call posterization and tinted clay look of some faces but not all (which I thought was weird). For example Skylar and Marie looked terrible most of the time but Walt always looked great, Hank so so.

I am using only THX-CInema and THX-Bright Room settings as the THX and Cinema settings on my G25 were always perfect.

So when I woke up this morning I thought I should dig around and see if others had the same issue with the VT? I found this and it describes what I'm seeing exactly:

From the review:

"OK, there are a couple of things that could be improved but they’re fairly minor. Despite the fact that Panasonic has seemingly managed to finally nail motion at 50Hz, we could – just ever so often – see instances of false contouring manifesting as magenta and green fringing to edges such as peoples’ cheekbones or on objects of solid white. We’d put good money on the fact that most will never see it and instances are uncommon and usually very fleeting but it is there and at least it gives Panasonic something to work on for in 2014. The only other quibble some might have, is with detecting flicker in brighter scenes. We could see none at ‘Low’ Panel Luminance, a little with ‘Mid’ and lots with ‘High’ but there’s a huge element of personal tolerance at play here so, as ever, we’d advise a demo to make sure you’re not one of the unlucky few that does see it with Panasonic Plasma TVs."

And this:

"The green im experiencing and im sure others are, literally make people look like the hulk. Yours must not be that bad, thats something i could never get used to. Id rather get used to having hemorrhoids then watching all that green."

Do all the VT and ZT do this too? All complicated by the fact that I don't have much time left if I want to step up to the ZT. It would be well worth the money to me if it solved this problem but would totally bum me if I paid the premium for a ZT and it did the same thing.

I'm going to post this in the other thread too as I am looking for as much feedback as I can get. Thanks in advance!
post #9916 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Quote:

Not sure...I don't remember the Receiver's setup function asking about HDMI Control, only input/output. I'll have to check when I get home.

I posted the PDF for the manual and the page it was on. I suggest reading this carefully. If it's off, ARC will not work.
post #9917 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti1234 View Post

I had a tough time deciding between the 65" VT and ZT but brought home a VT60 last weekend. Coming from a 54" G25 and expected this one to be equal or better all around. Right away noticed some flicker, watching the NFL playoffs it looked good but on the commercials I felt like the white was off when it filled the screen, more of a gray. Also noticed some posterization and green clay looking highlights to one of the African-American coaches faces on close up.

Watched The Hobbit Blu-ray on Sunday night and it looked good but maybe a bit dim even with all the lights off. Watched Bad Company DVD with the lights off Monday night and the set looked fantastic throughout the movie! Woke up yesterday morning thinking I LOVED the set. Them last night I watched Breaking Bad off Netflix last night using my media PC, the same one I watched football with on Sunday and used for all OTA and streaming on my G25. Picture kinda sucked with lots of what I would call posterization and tinted clay look of some faces but not all (which I thought was weird). For example Skylar and Marie looked terrible most of the time but Walt always looked great, Hank so so.

I am using only THX-CInema and THX-Bright Room settings as the THX and Cinema settings on my G25 were always perfect.

So when I woke up this morning I thought I should dig around and see if others had the same issue with the VT? I found this and it describes what I'm seeing exactly:

From the review:

"OK, there are a couple of things that could be improved but they’re fairly minor. Despite the fact that Panasonic has seemingly managed to finally nail motion at 50Hz, we could – just ever so often – see instances of false contouring manifesting as magenta and green fringing to edges such as peoples’ cheekbones or on objects of solid white. We’d put good money on the fact that most will never see it and instances are uncommon and usually very fleeting but it is there and at least it gives Panasonic something to work on for in 2014. The only other quibble some might have, is with detecting flicker in brighter scenes. We could see none at ‘Low’ Panel Luminance, a little with ‘Mid’ and lots with ‘High’ but there’s a huge element of personal tolerance at play here so, as ever, we’d advise a demo to make sure you’re not one of the unlucky few that does see it with Panasonic Plasma TVs."

And this:

"The green im experiencing and im sure others are, literally make people look like the hulk. Yours must not be that bad, thats something i could never get used to. Id rather get used to having hemorrhoids then watching all that green."

Do all the VT and ZT do this too? All complicated by the fact that I don't have much time left if I want to step up to the ZT. It would be well worth the money to me if it solved this problem but would totally bum me if I paid the premium for a ZT and it did the same thing.

I'm going to post this in the other thread too as I am looking for as much feedback as I can get. Thanks in advance!

I would try CNET's settings on Custom and see what that does for you. I like it better than THX Cinema.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/
mridan likes this.
post #9918 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I posted the PDF for the manual and the page it was on. I suggest reading this carefully. If it's off, ARC will not work.

Yes, thanks. I emailed the manual to myself for later use.
Donat76 likes this.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #9919 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

I would try CNET's settings on Custom and see what that does for you. I like it better than THX Cinema.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/

curious did you do any slides or breaking in before you changed settings?  I read on CNET they normally run the tv a good days worth before they change their settings.

post #9920 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle117 View Post

It's absolutely laughable that we would need a 4k display in the next 5 years.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............manufacturers don't want the masses to know this. tongue.gif
post #9921 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convo View Post

curious did you do any slides or breaking in before you changed settings?  I read on CNET they normally run the tv a good days worth before they change their settings.

I've been watching full screen and running some slides in between, haven't changed any settings, probably has about 36 hours on it now. Only using the two THX modes for viewing, slides settings for slides.
post #9922 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Ceva just delivered my VT65 at first they didn't want to even take the top of box off finally got them to do that looked at it as good as I could screen didn't looked cracked but they didn't want to give me time to do anything else. When they pushed across floor left black all over carpet they seemed to be more interested in what else I had in my house. I would rate them poor....
post #9923 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Another quick question I see the small remote but don't see the long remote do any of you remember where it was located at can't take tv out till wife gets up at 1:30 she just got home at 7 am from work. Is there not any type of manual.
Thanks
post #9924 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ceva just delivered my VT65 at first they didn't want to even take the top of box off finally got them to that looked as good as I could screen didn't looked cracked but they didn't want to give me time to do anything else. When they push across floor left black all over carpet they seemed to be more interested in what else I had in my house. I would rate them poor....

Wow, that's terrible. mad.gif You bought from Amazon?

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #9925 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Ceva just delivered my VT65 at first they didn't want to even take the top of box off finally got them to do that looked at it as good as I could screen didn't looked cracked but they didn't want to give me time to do anything else. When they pushed across floor left black all over carpet they seemed to be more interested in what else I had in my house. I would rate them poor....

If you ordered from Amazon, I would definitely complain. They will probably compensate you. I had 2 TVs delivered by Ceva. In both cases, the website tracking was accurate. The first delivery was by two people, and they asked if I wanted them to take their shoes off, and then told me that the TV should not be placed on clean carpeting, because it would leave marks. The second delivery was just some Russian guy who picked up the box and carried it on his shoulder. He was perfectly friendly and patient. This time, I had placed blankets on the carpeting, so it wouldn't be marked.

The company Amazon has delivering my VT60 is called JBHUNT. My TV was supposed to be delivered last Friday, but no one called, and the only "tracking" information on Amazon was that my TV was in Columbus, Ohio since December 31. They never called. After I contacted Amazon yesterday, they connected me with JBHUNT, who offered no explanation or apology, but only scheduled an appointment for this coming Thursday. It's probably weather related, but that shouldn't excuse them from not calling me. If this TV isn't in good shape, I'm screwed, because Amazon is completely out of stock. I guess I'll be back to the horrible side lit LED LCD choices again.
post #9926 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Comes with a quick start guide and small and brief manual and then refers to eHelp on screen help for more. I can't figure out how to link my home theater speakers to it instead of the built ins but haven't tried the eHelp yet.
post #9927 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 09:45 AM

Liked: 10
My set was delivered by Pilot and they left it unboxed in my living room.When I asked them if they were going to take the box off they refused.Then the guy handed me a business card with his name on it and offered to set it up for a fee.I contacted Amazon and they said they were sorry.What a joke.

Mark
post #9928 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

All the paperwork should be in a plastic bag. Did you not get that bag with all that in it? I want to say the remote was also in that bag but I am not 100% sure on that. It has been a few weeks since I unboxed mine.
post #9929 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 10:00 AM
r3w

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Agreed and THX Bright Room is my least favorite mode. I don't even use it for daytime viewing. The green tint is too much. I haven't tried to tweak it so I'm not complaining. I'm happy with CNET's and DNice's so far.
post #9930 of 14803 Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
To calibrate or not.......I am currently using DNice's settings for day, night and 3D. I think they all look great on my VT! I have flipped between those and the THX modes and the only difference I see is that on THX Cinema I get a bit better shadow detail than with DNice night settings.
I am thinking about having Chad B out in February for a calibration, but am not sure how much better it gets than what I have now between DNice settings and THX modes.
I do know what a display should look like in terms of an accurate image at least to my eye. I once had a RPTV CRT calibrated by the great Eliab from Avical years ago.
I know everyone says these VT's are known for having a significant variance in panels from the factory, but I do not really see how when I look at the different calibration settings found on the internet. They are really not that significantly different from what I see. Maybe I am really off base here, but I am not convinced yet that a calibration will yield that much of a visual difference from what I see now.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page