Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 331 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 213Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #9901 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Member
 
Convo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post


Ageing the phosphors doesn't prevent IR. It''s for people that want to have their TV calibrated and not have it drift out of a calibrated state as quickly. I broke mine in for 500 hours the first month with content and slides. The first reason is I am going to have it calibrated and the second is to see if it fails within my return period. After that I use it normally.

To help REDUCE IR, keep your contrast low and watch full screen content between gaming sessions. I try at least a 50 / 50 mix. Don't expect to play 10 hours of video games and watch 1 hour of TV and not have visible IR. I use the WOW Disney Pixel flipper.

If you can, make your HUDS more transparent or turn them off.

So.. Ive been running the slides and noticed the custom setting has contrast at 100.  is that ok for slides?

 

I actually watched a movie like that too and didn't realize it heh

Convo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9902 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Ceva says my VT65 is out for delivery it's 18° outside and 70° inside the house should I allow them to hook up and turn on I know they're not going to wait till plasma warms up. I would think it wouldn't be safe due to condensation. Should I make a note on paperwork that we could not start up plasma due to temp.
Thanks
Ceva should not allow you to turn it on. They usually have strict instructions the TV cannot be tested under 50 degrees. Did you order from Amazon? If you did, then definitely nothing to worry about. You have 30 days to return the TV anyway. Just check the TV for any physical damage.
eric3316 is offline  
post #9903 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 07:08 AM
Member
 
Codeman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

Are you using D'Nices settings for the VT60.? You might be better off not using those and go with THX Cinema or THX Bright Room.

Old but still relevant.
http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/12/the-fruits-of-copying-settings-the-pioneer-lottery/

It sounds like the blacks are getting crushed. I'm no expert but I would reset everything and do a basic calibration with a disk such as the Disney WOW disk to set brightness and contrast on THX Cinema and THX Bright Room.

On THX Cinema, my TV looks pretty close to perfect on all the test patterns as is. It's not calibrated yet but that will happen after I get my taxes back.

I appreciate everyone's comments on my panel brightness issue. I had to look up ABL because I wasn't familiar with it but now I'm informed. I'm disappointed to have the issue in first place because I really want to like this TV. And I'm glad to see there are a few others out there with the same issue. I notice this issue more with hockey and football than anything else. My wife thinks I'm crazy and that my VT25 looks the same as the VT60 (different rooms). Maybe I am crazy...I don't know. What I do know is that I do have glasses/contacts...so I don't see that being the issue!

I really do not want to send the TV back and am trying to work with it. My only other option is the Samsung for another $900 and it has a strange curved stand that runs the width of the TV. It looks like I'd need another wider AV stand to use it which would be another $300. It just doesn't make sense. And I can't go into a store and pick a TV because their settings are so awful that I can't compare PQ from one set to another...that's why I rely on reviews and opinions expressed on forums such as this.

I sometimes wonder if I had never read in the reviews that the VT60 isn't bright, if I would have ever perceived a difference? And what if I didn't have 2 VT25's in the house to watch? I guess I'll never know. I don't need retina burning brightness...just enough light on all content to meet my eyes so I don't have to struggle to see detail in the picture. I can appreciate a great picture and great colors...but maybe my baseline perception is based on the VT25's that I have watched for the last 3 years?

I'll order up the Disney Wow disk and see what happens. I'll probably need it anyway just for the pixel flipper. I have DVE, but I've never found it that easy to use. Maybe I can calibrate THX Bright room enough that it works for me even though its not exactly perfect. I'm running out of return time though...

XBR11, what are you going to do?
Codeman00 is offline  
post #9904 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 07:11 AM
Member
 
Ejs71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just finished 100+ hours of DNICE slides on my 60VT60.. I don't think I'll be able to use ControlCal to put in the settings.. but is there a way to do it manually or with the remote?
Ejs71 is offline  
post #9905 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Member
 
Donat76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

You are sure you turned on HDMI Control in your receiver? The default is Off. You double checked all of those, correct?

Does the cable box and blu-ray player run through the receiver first. If they do, they aren't using ARC.

And your sure you Monoprice Redmere HDMI cable has the source hooked up to the receiver? They are labeled.

If so, try a regular HDMI cable to see if that solves your problem.

The cablebox and blu-ray HDMI run to the receiver and then to the TV (connected to HDMI 2 ARC). Should each run to the TV HDMI input 1 & 3 first and then TV to Receiver via HDMI 2 ARC?

I made sure the Monoprice Redmere HDMI cables are connected from source (cablebox.blu-ray) to TV, aka: Receiver; then source (receiver) to TV HDMI 2 ARC.

Here's a link to the monoprice cable: Monoprice 9889 HDMI Cable

That sounds like you have it hooked up right. You might want to try a different regular HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV without the Redmere chip in it to see if you can get ARC to work that way. It should work with the Redmere ones but it might be better to get that out of the equation first.

You can hook up a device directly to the TV and then have the sound go to the receiver through ARC on HDMI 2, but the digital audio stream will downsampled to 2 channels that way. Can you hook up an antennae to the TV and use the TV's tuner. That will output 5.1 DD through ARC to the receiver if you have it hooked up and the settings right.


[AND you never answered my question if HDMI CONTROL on your receiver is TURNED ON. The DEFAULT is OFF
mbroadus likes this.
Donat76 is offline  
post #9906 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Austin, TX & Arlington, VA
Posts: 2,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

That sounds like you have it hooked up right. You might want to try a different regular HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV without the Redmere chip in it to see if you can get ARC to work that way. It should work with the Redmere ones but it might be better to get that out of the equation first.

You can hook up a device directly to the TV and then have the sound go to the receiver through ARC on HDMI 2, but the digital audio stream will downsampled to 2 channels that way. Can you hook up an antennae to the TV and use the TV's tuner. That will output 5.1 DD through ARC to the receiver if you have it hooked up and the settings right.


[AND you never answered my question if HDMI CONTROL on your receiver is TURNED ON. The DEFAULT is OFF

Not sure...I don't remember the Receiver's setup function asking about HDMI Control, only input/output. I'll have to check when I get home.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
mbroadus is offline  
post #9907 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 AM
Member
 
Yeti1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I had a tough time deciding between the 65" VT and ZT but brought home a VT60 last weekend. Coming from a 54" G25 and expected this one to be equal or better all around. Right away noticed some flicker, watching the NFL playoffs it looked good but on the commercials I felt like the white was off when it filled the screen, more of a gray. Also noticed some posterization and green clay looking highlights to one of the African-American coaches faces on close up.

Watched The Hobbit Blu-ray on Sunday night and it looked good but maybe a bit dim even with all the lights off. Watched Bad Company DVD with the lights off Monday night and the set looked fantastic throughout the movie! Woke up yesterday morning thinking I LOVED the set. Them last night I watched Breaking Bad off Netflix last night using my media PC, the same one I watched football with on Sunday and used for all OTA and streaming on my G25. Picture kinda sucked with lots of what I would call posterization and tinted clay look of some faces but not all (which I thought was weird). For example Skylar and Marie looked terrible most of the time but Walt always looked great, Hank so so.

I am using only THX-CInema and THX-Bright Room settings as the THX and Cinema settings on my G25 were always perfect.

So when I woke up this morning I thought I should dig around and see if others had the same issue with the VT? I found this and it describes what I'm seeing exactly:

From the review:

"OK, there are a couple of things that could be improved but they’re fairly minor. Despite the fact that Panasonic has seemingly managed to finally nail motion at 50Hz, we could – just ever so often – see instances of false contouring manifesting as magenta and green fringing to edges such as peoples’ cheekbones or on objects of solid white. We’d put good money on the fact that most will never see it and instances are uncommon and usually very fleeting but it is there and at least it gives Panasonic something to work on for in 2014. The only other quibble some might have, is with detecting flicker in brighter scenes. We could see none at ‘Low’ Panel Luminance, a little with ‘Mid’ and lots with ‘High’ but there’s a huge element of personal tolerance at play here so, as ever, we’d advise a demo to make sure you’re not one of the unlucky few that does see it with Panasonic Plasma TVs."

And this:

"The green im experiencing and im sure others are, literally make people look like the hulk. Yours must not be that bad, thats something i could never get used to. Id rather get used to having hemorrhoids then watching all that green."

Do all the VT and ZT do this too? All complicated by the fact that I don't have much time left if I want to step up to the ZT. It would be well worth the money to me if it solved this problem but would totally bum me if I paid the premium for a ZT and it did the same thing.

I'm going to post this in the other thread too as I am looking for as much feedback as I can get. Thanks in advance!
Yeti1234 is offline  
post #9908 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Member
 
Donat76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

That sounds like you have it hooked up right. You might want to try a different regular HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV without the Redmere chip in it to see if you can get ARC to work that way. It should work with the Redmere ones but it might be better to get that out of the equation first.

You can hook up a device directly to the TV and then have the sound go to the receiver through ARC on HDMI 2, but the digital audio stream will downsampled to 2 channels that way. Can you hook up an antennae to the TV and use the TV's tuner. That will output 5.1 DD through ARC to the receiver if you have it hooked up and the settings right.


[AND you never answered my question if HDMI CONTROL on your receiver is TURNED ON. The DEFAULT is OFF

Not sure...I don't remember the Receiver's setup function asking about HDMI Control, only input/output. I'll have to check when I get home.

I posted the PDF for the manual and the page it was on. I suggest reading this carefully. If it's off, ARC will not work.
Donat76 is offline  
post #9909 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Member
 
Codeman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti1234 View Post

I had a tough time deciding between the 65" VT and ZT but brought home a VT60 last weekend. Coming from a 54" G25 and expected this one to be equal or better all around. Right away noticed some flicker, watching the NFL playoffs it looked good but on the commercials I felt like the white was off when it filled the screen, more of a gray. Also noticed some posterization and green clay looking highlights to one of the African-American coaches faces on close up.

Watched The Hobbit Blu-ray on Sunday night and it looked good but maybe a bit dim even with all the lights off. Watched Bad Company DVD with the lights off Monday night and the set looked fantastic throughout the movie! Woke up yesterday morning thinking I LOVED the set. Them last night I watched Breaking Bad off Netflix last night using my media PC, the same one I watched football with on Sunday and used for all OTA and streaming on my G25. Picture kinda sucked with lots of what I would call posterization and tinted clay look of some faces but not all (which I thought was weird). For example Skylar and Marie looked terrible most of the time but Walt always looked great, Hank so so.

I am using only THX-CInema and THX-Bright Room settings as the THX and Cinema settings on my G25 were always perfect.

So when I woke up this morning I thought I should dig around and see if others had the same issue with the VT? I found this and it describes what I'm seeing exactly:

From the review:

"OK, there are a couple of things that could be improved but they’re fairly minor. Despite the fact that Panasonic has seemingly managed to finally nail motion at 50Hz, we could – just ever so often – see instances of false contouring manifesting as magenta and green fringing to edges such as peoples’ cheekbones or on objects of solid white. We’d put good money on the fact that most will never see it and instances are uncommon and usually very fleeting but it is there and at least it gives Panasonic something to work on for in 2014. The only other quibble some might have, is with detecting flicker in brighter scenes. We could see none at ‘Low’ Panel Luminance, a little with ‘Mid’ and lots with ‘High’ but there’s a huge element of personal tolerance at play here so, as ever, we’d advise a demo to make sure you’re not one of the unlucky few that does see it with Panasonic Plasma TVs."

And this:

"The green im experiencing and im sure others are, literally make people look like the hulk. Yours must not be that bad, thats something i could never get used to. Id rather get used to having hemorrhoids then watching all that green."

Do all the VT and ZT do this too? All complicated by the fact that I don't have much time left if I want to step up to the ZT. It would be well worth the money to me if it solved this problem but would totally bum me if I paid the premium for a ZT and it did the same thing.

I'm going to post this in the other thread too as I am looking for as much feedback as I can get. Thanks in advance!

I would try CNET's settings on Custom and see what that does for you. I like it better than THX Cinema.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/
mridan likes this.
Codeman00 is offline  
post #9910 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Austin, TX & Arlington, VA
Posts: 2,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

I posted the PDF for the manual and the page it was on. I suggest reading this carefully. If it's off, ARC will not work.

Yes, thanks. I emailed the manual to myself for later use.
Donat76 likes this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
mbroadus is offline  
post #9911 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Member
 
Convo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post


I would try CNET's settings on Custom and see what that does for you. I like it better than THX Cinema.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/

curious did you do any slides or breaking in before you changed settings?  I read on CNET they normally run the tv a good days worth before they change their settings.

Convo is offline  
post #9912 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
5150zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle117 View Post

It's absolutely laughable that we would need a 4k display in the next 5 years.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............manufacturers don't want the masses to know this. tongue.gif
5150zx is offline  
post #9913 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 09:48 AM
Member
 
Yeti1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convo View Post

curious did you do any slides or breaking in before you changed settings?  I read on CNET they normally run the tv a good days worth before they change their settings.

I've been watching full screen and running some slides in between, haven't changed any settings, probably has about 36 hours on it now. Only using the two THX modes for viewing, slides settings for slides.
Yeti1234 is offline  
post #9914 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yellowcanary73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: McKinney,Texas
Posts: 2,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Ceva just delivered my VT65 at first they didn't want to even take the top of box off finally got them to do that looked at it as good as I could screen didn't looked cracked but they didn't want to give me time to do anything else. When they pushed across floor left black all over carpet they seemed to be more interested in what else I had in my house. I would rate them poor....
yellowcanary73 is offline  
post #9915 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yellowcanary73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: McKinney,Texas
Posts: 2,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Another quick question I see the small remote but don't see the long remote do any of you remember where it was located at can't take tv out till wife gets up at 1:30 she just got home at 7 am from work. Is there not any type of manual.
Thanks
yellowcanary73 is offline  
post #9916 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Austin, TX & Arlington, VA
Posts: 2,397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Ceva just delivered my VT65 at first they didn't want to even take the top of box off finally got them to that looked as good as I could screen didn't looked cracked but they didn't want to give me time to do anything else. When they push across floor left black all over carpet they seemed to be more interested in what else I had in my house. I would rate them poor....

Wow, that's terrible. mad.gif You bought from Amazon?

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
mbroadus is offline  
post #9917 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
JPowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 497
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Ceva just delivered my VT65 at first they didn't want to even take the top of box off finally got them to do that looked at it as good as I could screen didn't looked cracked but they didn't want to give me time to do anything else. When they pushed across floor left black all over carpet they seemed to be more interested in what else I had in my house. I would rate them poor....

If you ordered from Amazon, I would definitely complain. They will probably compensate you. I had 2 TVs delivered by Ceva. In both cases, the website tracking was accurate. The first delivery was by two people, and they asked if I wanted them to take their shoes off, and then told me that the TV should not be placed on clean carpeting, because it would leave marks. The second delivery was just some Russian guy who picked up the box and carried it on his shoulder. He was perfectly friendly and patient. This time, I had placed blankets on the carpeting, so it wouldn't be marked.

The company Amazon has delivering my VT60 is called JBHUNT. My TV was supposed to be delivered last Friday, but no one called, and the only "tracking" information on Amazon was that my TV was in Columbus, Ohio since December 31. They never called. After I contacted Amazon yesterday, they connected me with JBHUNT, who offered no explanation or apology, but only scheduled an appointment for this coming Thursday. It's probably weather related, but that shouldn't excuse them from not calling me. If this TV isn't in good shape, I'm screwed, because Amazon is completely out of stock. I guess I'll be back to the horrible side lit LED LCD choices again.
JPowers is offline  
post #9918 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Member
 
Yeti1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Comes with a quick start guide and small and brief manual and then refers to eHelp on screen help for more. I can't figure out how to link my home theater speakers to it instead of the built ins but haven't tried the eHelp yet.
Yeti1234 is offline  
post #9919 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Defraggerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southeast Massachusetts
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My set was delivered by Pilot and they left it unboxed in my living room.When I asked them if they were going to take the box off they refused.Then the guy handed me a business card with his name on it and offered to set it up for a fee.I contacted Amazon and they said they were sorry.What a joke.

Mark
Defraggerman is offline  
post #9920 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
All the paperwork should be in a plastic bag. Did you not get that bag with all that in it? I want to say the remote was also in that bag but I am not 100% sure on that. It has been a few weeks since I unboxed mine.
eric3316 is offline  
post #9921 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 AM
r3w
Member
 
r3w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

I would try CNET's settings on Custom and see what that does for you. I like it better than THX Cinema.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/

Agreed and THX Bright Room is my least favorite mode. I don't even use it for daytime viewing. The green tint is too much. I haven't tried to tweak it so I'm not complaining. I'm happy with CNET's and DNice's so far.
r3w is offline  
post #9922 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member
 
Gov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
Posts: 3,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 174
To calibrate or not.......I am currently using DNice's settings for day, night and 3D. I think they all look great on my VT! I have flipped between those and the THX modes and the only difference I see is that on THX Cinema I get a bit better shadow detail than with DNice night settings.
I am thinking about having Chad B out in February for a calibration, but am not sure how much better it gets than what I have now between DNice settings and THX modes.
I do know what a display should look like in terms of an accurate image at least to my eye. I once had a RPTV CRT calibrated by the great Eliab from Avical years ago.
I know everyone says these VT's are known for having a significant variance in panels from the factory, but I do not really see how when I look at the different calibration settings found on the internet. They are really not that significantly different from what I see. Maybe I am really off base here, but I am not convinced yet that a calibration will yield that much of a visual difference from what I see now.

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
Gov is offline  
post #9923 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yellowcanary73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: McKinney,Texas
Posts: 2,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks everyone found remote and manual taped to bottom on Styrofoam on bottom of plasma. Called amazon about delivery problems they said they would file a complaint with Ceva about carpet and not allowing me to fully check out the set. Plus they gave me a $100 discount on price. Can't ask them to do more then that I didn't even ask they just offered. Now to wait for wife to get up set it on base and up onto stand and make sure it starts up and start the panel breakin.
yellowcanary73 is offline  
post #9924 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,405
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

To calibrate or not.......I am currently using DNice's settings for day, night and 3D. I think they all look great on my VT! I have flipped between those and the THX modes and the only difference I see is that on THX Cinema I get a bit better shadow detail than with DNice night settings.
I am thinking about having Chad B out in February for a calibration, but am not sure how much better it gets than what I have now between DNice settings and THX modes.
I do know what a display should look like in terms of an accurate image at least to my eye. I once had a RPTV CRT calibrated by the great Eliab from Avical years ago.
I know everyone says these VT's are known for having a significant variance in panels from the factory, but I do not really see how when I look at the different calibration settings found on the internet. They are really not that significantly different from what I see. Maybe I am really off base here, but I am not convinced yet that a calibration will yield that much of a visual difference from what I see now.

I think you are definitely off-base. smile.gif I noticed a big difference having Chad out compared to THX or any other settings I had used. I had Chad out last night for a tune-up on my 65VT60 and made a change in gamma (BT1886 now which I really like - brings out a richer, warmer image). I would strongly recommend having him out as I guarantee you D-Nice's settings are not getting you to the level this set is capable of doing.


Pro1.pdf 1365k .pdf file
Pro13D.pdf 593k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pro13D.pdf (592.6 KB, 43 views)


DavidHir is offline  
post #9925 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member
 
Gov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
Posts: 3,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I think you are definitely off-base. smile.gif I noticed a big difference having Chad out compared to THX or any other settings I had used. I had Chad out last night for a tune-up on my 65VT60 and made a change in gamma (BT1886 now which I really like - brings out a richer, warmer image). I would strongly recommend having him out as I guarantee you D-Nice's settings are not getting you to the level this set is capable of doing.


Pro1.pdf 1365k .pdf file
Pro13D.pdf 593k .pdf file

How many hours did you have on the display when Chad first calibrated? How many now?

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
Gov is offline  
post #9926 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,405
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

How many hours did you have on the display when Chad first calibrated? How many now?

I'm around 1150 hours...the last cal was only a few months ago, but he made some adjustments in light output and gamma at my request which I find much more preferable now.


DavidHir is offline  
post #9927 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Member
 
Codeman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convo View Post

curious did you do any slides or breaking in before you changed settings?  I read on CNET they normally run the tv a good days worth before they change their settings.

Yes I did....but at that time I was going to use DNice settings....but they ended up being too dim. So I entered CNETs and am still looking for brighter settings if possible.
Codeman00 is offline  
post #9928 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,405
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Here is my very first cal by Chad back in June where I had been using THX Cinema. The before and after difference was extremely noticeable.

Panasonic65VT60ISFNight.pdf 1298k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Panasonic65VT60ISFNight.pdf (1.27 MB, 94 views)


DavidHir is offline  
post #9929 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member
 
Gov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NW Burbs of Chgo, IL
Posts: 3,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Here is my very first cal by Chad back in June where I had been using THX Cinema. The before and after difference was extremely noticeable.

Panasonic65VT60ISFNight.pdf 1298k .pdf file

How many hours did the display have in your June calibration?
I notice the light output is a bit lower now than the June calibration.

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
Gov is offline  
post #9930 of 16441 Old 01-07-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,405
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

How many hours did the display have in your June calibration?
I notice the light output is a bit lower now than the June calibration.

Around 400. I've had him out a couple of times since as I've been making tweaks according to my preference.


DavidHir is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off