Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 334 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9991 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a VT60 in the last week and all I can say is WOW!

Even though I'm a little scared about IR/Burnin, we've been watching a lot of letterboxed movies lately just because they look so amazing. I've currently got both a 55" and a 60" VT60 in the house, but it looks like the 55" is the one that's going to stay...unfortunately we had a custom TV stand built last year and the 60" looks a little `off', not to mention that it actually seems a little big for our viewing area (maybe 8' away at the farthest, but I generally sit maybe 3' away on the side where I could see Plasma dithering pretty clearly most of the time, but not really with the 55").

I almost didn't get to keep it at all...the default settings for my June build 60" looked absolutely terrible. Standard mode + Mid smoothing made everything look like a soap opera with ants crawling all over everything from the dithering, even at 8'. =( Before anyone beats me up though, after upgrading the firmware and doing a reset and swapping to Cinema mode with a few tweaks (Mid panel brightness, no or weak smoothing) it looked absolutely amazing! The 55", which was an October build didn't seem to look quite so bad out of the gate and has never looked `bad'...just `amazing' to `awesome.' I'm coming from a Sony NX720, so the fact that the screen is `one sheet of glass' is really a plus and we're already used to it being a little extra reflective...

Really, the TV is so good that I keep feeling that I need to tell everyone that I know that they should get one and I've been trying to figure out how I can keep both!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I set up my new VT60 65" last night, man that bugger is heavy! So turns out the Australian model has quite a few differences in the menu, I've been trying to follow settings etc but there are things named differently and possibly things missing! The first thing that's worrying me is that I can't find anywhere how to set it to 96hz for 24p film. Under 'advanced' there is nothing there under any mode!

I ran some slides last night just to check over the panel. On the white screen, I can notice faint vertical and horizontal lines running through it. Is this normal? I watched one film last night and everything looked quite good however in a scene that went full white, it kind of looked like dirty screen.

Mine is a Sept 13 build. I can hear the fans standing near the tv, but not bothersome at sitting.
post #9993 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by snclawson View Post

I just got a VT60 in the last week and all I can say is WOW!

Even though I'm a little scared about IR/Burnin, we've been watching a lot of letterboxed movies lately just because they look so amazing. I've currently got both a 55" and a 60" VT60 in the house, but it looks like the 55" is the one that's going to stay...unfortunately we had a custom TV stand built last year and the 60" looks a little `off', not to mention that it actually seems a little big for our viewing area (maybe 8' away at the farthest, but I generally sit maybe 3' away on the side where I could see Plasma dithering pretty clearly most of the time, but not really with the 55").

I almost didn't get to keep it at all...the default settings for my June build 60" looked absolutely terrible. Standard mode + Mid smoothing made everything look like a soap opera with ants crawling all over everything from the dithering, even at 8'. =( Before anyone beats me up though, after upgrading the firmware and doing a reset and swapping to Cinema mode with a few tweaks (Mid panel brightness, no or weak smoothing) it looked absolutely amazing! The 55", which was an October build didn't seem to look quite so bad out of the gate and has never looked `bad'...just `amazing' to `awesome.' I'm coming from a Sony NX720, so the fact that the screen is `one sheet of glass' is really a plus and we're already used to it being a little extra reflective...

Really, the TV is so good that I keep feeling that I need to tell everyone that I know that they should get one and I've been trying to figure out how I can keep both!

3 ft to a 55" is pretty close smile.gif I would probably see dithering at that distance...but it certainly would be a theater-like experience with that view angle!! Congrats!
post #9994 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydenim View Post

I set up my new VT60 65" last night, man that bugger is heavy! So turns out the Australian model has quite a few differences in the menu, I've been trying to follow settings etc but there are things named differently and possibly things missing! The first thing that's worrying me is that I can't find anywhere how to set it to 96hz for 24p film. Under 'advanced' there is nothing there under any mode!

I ran some slides last night just to check over the panel. On the white screen, I can notice faint vertical and horizontal lines running through it. Is this normal? I watched one film last night and everything looked quite good however in a scene that went full white, it kind of looked like dirty screen.

Mine is a Sept 13 build. I can hear the fans standing near the tv, but not bothersome at sitting.

Just to be sure, you need to put in a blu-ray or 24p film for the setting to show up. Did you do that?

I believe the slides that DNICE create is not 100% WHITE, so it should not be "blinding white", but it should not be like "dirty".. you might have some uniformity issue.. Not to say your TV is bad, as I think most of our set do.. it just depends on how picky you are.
post #9995 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Just to be sure, you need to put in a blu-ray or 24p film for the setting to show up. Did you do that?

I believe the slides that DNICE create is not 100% WHITE, so it should not be "blinding white", but it should not be like "dirty".. you might have some uniformity issue.. Not to say your TV is bad, as I think most of our set do.. it just depends on how picky you are.

I did think of that and I popped in my MI:4 bluray but still no options. I was running my Oppo 103 through my AVR so I also tried running it from HDMI 1 out direct to the VT60 but that didn't show options either.
post #9996 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have DNice slides from 2010 which gives 5 different shades of the white,red,green and blue where as the ones I down loaded today from DNice for my VT65 only has a single slide for the red,green,blue and 9 total for the white. Just wondering which set I should run.
Thanks
post #9997 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM

Hi everyone. My VT60 has different sets of picture modes available depending on if I am using the built-in apps or not. I tried searching on this and couldn't find if this was normal or not.

If I am watching something 3D on Netflix through the built-in app, there is no THX 3D mode and I seem to have a harder time adjusting the picture using the modes that are available. Any adjustments make little to no difference when compared to adjustments made outside the apps. This also seems to apply to 2D picture settings too.

I have attached two pictures showing the modes available and the modes missing.

This is a picture watching a 3D movie using the built-in Netflix app:

modes_missing.JPG 103k .JPG file

This is a picture when turning on 2D to 3D conversion when watching cable TV for example:

modes_available.JPG 122k .JPG file

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modes_missing.JPG (102.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg modes_available.JPG (122.4 KB, 18 views)
post #9998 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have 90+ hours of controlled break-in on my 55VT60. For Blu-rays. I've found that THX Cinema with a few adjustments is pretty good. I had originally shunned the regular Cinema mode because on my ST30 it sucked but, to my surprise, Cinema on the VT60 is very good with all the flexibility and pro settings that you could ever (or maybe never) want. I tuned it up a bit for my cable DVR (Comcast) and got a very nice image with good contrast and brightness. I haven't looked at the Custom or Professional modes yet but Cinema looks like it could be a good "all-arounder" with some decent settings adjustments.
post #9999 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did think of that and I popped in my MI:4 bluray but still no options. I was running my Oppo 103 through my AVR so I also tried running it from HDMI 1 out direct to the VT60 but that didn't show options either.

You probably did that already, but in your AVR and Oppo, you set Oppo to output 24p, and your AVR to Direct? Would you AVR be able to show INPUT/OUTPUT resolution and confirm it is 24p?

Sorry, I have a US model and I can see it once I pop into a 24p movie, I think in the professional mode I choose. Is that the picture mode you choose?
post #10000 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 02:48 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I have 90+ hours of controlled break-in on my 55VT60. For Blu-rays. I've found that THX Cinema with a few adjustments is pretty good. I had originally shunned the regular Cinema mode because on my ST30 it sucked but, to my surprise, Cinema on the VT60 is very good with all the flexibility and pro settings that you could ever (or maybe never) want. I tuned it up a bit for my cable DVR (Comcast) and got a very nice image with good contrast and brightness. I haven't looked at the Custom or Professional modes yet but Cinema looks like it could be a good "all-arounder" with some decent settings adjustments.
Are you adjusting by eye or with equipment?
post #10001 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

I have DNice slides from 2010 which gives 5 different shades of the white,red,green and blue where as the ones I down loaded today from DNice for my VT65 only has a single slide for the red,green,blue and 9 total for the white. Just wondering which set I should run.
Thanks

I don't think it matter. The point is that it "Changes" and keep running to make the TV run continuously up to a point that you can do calibration.
post #10002 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydnix View Post

Hi everyone. My VT60 has different sets of picture modes available depending on if I am using the built-in apps or not. I tried searching on this and couldn't find if this was normal or not.

If I am watching something 3D on Netflix through the built-in app, there is no THX 3D mode and I seem to have a harder time adjusting the picture using the modes that are available. Any adjustments make little to no difference when compared to adjustments made outside the apps. This also seems to apply to 2D picture settings too.

I have attached two pictures showing the modes available and the modes missing.

This is a picture watching a 3D movie using the built-in Netflix app:

modes_missing.JPG 103k .JPG file

This is a picture when turning on 2D to 3D conversion when watching cable TV for example:

modes_available.JPG 122k .JPG file

Thanks.

Yes, I think App (or USB/SD) have restriction on certain modes... Maybe THX did not want to certify those particular situation...
post #10003 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Hi Ricky, I believe Australian VT60's automatically run 24p blurays at 96hz, which is why there is no option for it.
post #10004 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitto View Post

Hi Ricky, I believe Australian VT60's automatically run 24p blurays at 96hz, which is why there is no option for it.
Oh really? Hope so! The info button just shows 1080p 24hz, motion is pretty decent with a minimal amount of flicker. Just wanted to ensure it would be at optimal 96hz.
post #10005 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 03:56 PM

My 65VT60 was just delivered.

HOLEY MOLEY! That's a BIG TV.eek.gif

Sure looks MUCH bigger in my small living room than it did in the showroom...tongue.gif
post #10006 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Are you adjusting by eye or with equipment?

Only with my eyes so far, I don't have any calibration equipment so right now it's what my peepers tell my brain.
post #10007 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Thanks Larry! So, is there anyway to convert the LUX number i got from my lightmeter and see how much FtL I got for my plasma?

Thanks.

There is no way. LUX and ftL are units for measuring two different things as I explained in my post that you just quoted. Sorry.

Larry
post #10008 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoomerGuy View Post

My 65VT60 was just delivered.

HOLEY MOLEY! That's a BIG TV.eek.gif

Sure looks MUCH bigger in my small living room than it did in the showroom...tongue.gif
Enjoy it while you can, it shrinks pretty quickly.
post #10009 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 PM

Liked: 21
Well I think it's finally time to put my KRP-500m to rest. Or to rest at someone else's house anyway. I'm about to purchase a 65VT60 and have a question for you folks.

I'll be using a PS3 for my 3D blu-ray player, so obv no dual HDMI outputs. My yamaha RX-V1800 only goes up to HDMI 1.3 so I won't be able to pass the 3D through it. I've heard some refer to the ARC feature as HDMI out, but will I be able to pass uncompressed LPCM from this output to my receiver, or will I have to suffer through regular DD 5.1 via optical? rolleyes.gif

I understand there are starving kids out there so my suffering isn't really that but damnit I spent a lot of money on this stuff.
post #10010 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 05:17 PM

Liked: 11

Hey guys, I just got a replacement 65 inch VT60 from Amazon after the first one had some dead pixels along with a strange darker smear. The new unit does not have any dead pixels but it has the same weird darker smear, just in a different place and is about the size of a quarter. Does anyone know what this is and if it will go away after normal use? It mostly shows up on the red slides but I can see it faintly on the others.

Kinda hard to take a good picture of it.

post #10011 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Enjoy it while you can, it shrinks pretty quickly.

Heh-heh...no doubt. When I got my 50" Panny about 4 years ago, I also thought..."Holy-Moley, that's a BIG TV."

After 4 years, it seems fairly small...and it's TINY compared to the 65".

I haven't read all the thread, but I presume the normal "100 hours to break in" is still the norm for these?

I doubt I'll run the slides while it breaks in...just watch TV in full screen mode.
post #10012 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasMaster13 View Post

Hey guys, I just got a replacement 65 inch VT60 from Amazon after the first one had some dead pixels along with a strange darker smear. The new unit does not have any dead pixels but it has the same weird darker smear, just in a different place and is about the size of a quarter. Does anyone know what this is and if it will go away after normal use? It mostly shows up on the red slides but I can see it faintly on the others.

Kinda hard to take a good picture of it.

Take another picture at night with the room dark. No camera flash. The reflection degrades the picture and makes it so you can't see what you're describing. smile.gif
post #10013 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Thanks

If you're running the slides to input D-Nice's settings then use the slides he provided for the VT60. Otherwise, you're not following the instructions 100%. If not, I don't think it matters.
post #10014 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Take another picture at night with the room dark. No camera flash. The reflection degrades the picture and makes it so you can't see what you're describing. smile.gif

post #10015 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasMaster13 View Post

I can see a darker area, though don't know what it could be. It's diagonal, going upward from left to right.

Try shining a light onto the area with the TV off and see if you notice something.
post #10016 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 06:15 PM

You're lucky to get a replacement. My first vt60" has yet to be delivered from Amazon. I know they're out now. Just hoping to get an unopened box.
post #10017 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Is 60" too large at a viewing distance of 12ft? Just curious because I currently have a 55 which Best Buy will be exchanging for the 60 Saturday. The 55 has performed flawlessly and I'm scared I'm going to get a dud.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
post #10018 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

I can see a darker area, though don't know what it could be. It's diagonal, going upward from left to right.

Try shining a light onto the area with the TV off and see if you notice something.

I just turned the set off and shined my iPhone's light on the screen. I notice that when I shine the light from the right of the area that I can see it. Does this mean that it is a fault with the glass?

post #10019 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

Well I think it's finally time to put my KRP-500m to rest. Or to rest at someone else's house anyway. I'm about to purchase a 65VT60 and have a question for you folks.

I'll be using a PS3 for my 3D blu-ray player, so obv no dual HDMI outputs. My yamaha RX-V1800 only goes up to HDMI 1.3 so I won't be able to pass the 3D through it. I've heard some refer to the ARC feature as HDMI out, but will I be able to pass uncompressed LPCM from this output to my receiver, or will I have to suffer through regular DD 5.1 via optical? rolleyes.gif

I understand there are starving kids out there so my suffering isn't really that but damnit I spent a lot of money on this stuff.

I'm answering my own question in case anyone is led here from a google search. Just found this thread with this keyphrase:

"Since the PS3 cannot support the HD (i.e., lossless) audio when playing Blu-ray 3D discs you won't be losing anything audio or video wise for 3D playback from the PS3."

Guess it doesn't matter if that HDMI out on the VT60 can spit out lossless codecs.

Just bought the 65" beast. I plan to sit at a friendly distance of 6'.
post #10020 of 14817 Old 01-08-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Is 60" too large at a viewing distance of 12ft? Just curious because I currently have a 55 which Best Buy will be exchanging for the 60 Saturday. The 55 has performed flawlessly and I'm scared I'm going to get a dud.

As someone who had a 60" Sony A3000 and moved down to a 50" 9.5Gen Kuro I can tell you I missed the size despite the increase in PQ. Viewing distance was 6ish feet and still is. I'll be experiencing 10th row movie theater viewing angles when my 65" arrives. Not scared even a little bit.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page