Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 334 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 213Likes

Old 01-08-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydenim View Post

I did think of that and I popped in my MI:4 bluray but still no options. I was running my Oppo 103 through my AVR so I also tried running it from HDMI 1 out direct to the VT60 but that didn't show options either.

You probably did that already, but in your AVR and Oppo, you set Oppo to output 24p, and your AVR to Direct? Would you AVR be able to show INPUT/OUTPUT resolution and confirm it is 24p?

Sorry, I have a US model and I can see it once I pop into a 24p movie, I think in the professional mode I choose. Is that the picture mode you choose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 03:48 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I have 90+ hours of controlled break-in on my 55VT60. For Blu-rays. I've found that THX Cinema with a few adjustments is pretty good. I had originally shunned the regular Cinema mode because on my ST30 it sucked but, to my surprise, Cinema on the VT60 is very good with all the flexibility and pro settings that you could ever (or maybe never) want. I tuned it up a bit for my cable DVR (Comcast) and got a very nice image with good contrast and brightness. I haven't looked at the Custom or Professional modes yet but Cinema looks like it could be a good "all-arounder" with some decent settings adjustments.
Are you adjusting by eye or with equipment?
Old 01-08-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

I have DNice slides from 2010 which gives 5 different shades of the white,red,green and blue where as the ones I down loaded today from DNice for my VT65 only has a single slide for the red,green,blue and 9 total for the white. Just wondering which set I should run.
Thanks

I don't think it matter. The point is that it "Changes" and keep running to make the TV run continuously up to a point that you can do calibration.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydnix View Post

Hi everyone. My VT60 has different sets of picture modes available depending on if I am using the built-in apps or not. I tried searching on this and couldn't find if this was normal or not.

If I am watching something 3D on Netflix through the built-in app, there is no THX 3D mode and I seem to have a harder time adjusting the picture using the modes that are available. Any adjustments make little to no difference when compared to adjustments made outside the apps. This also seems to apply to 2D picture settings too.

I have attached two pictures showing the modes available and the modes missing.

This is a picture watching a 3D movie using the built-in Netflix app:

modes_missing.JPG 103k .JPG file

This is a picture when turning on 2D to 3D conversion when watching cable TV for example:

modes_available.JPG 122k .JPG file

Thanks.

Yes, I think App (or USB/SD) have restriction on certain modes... Maybe THX did not want to certify those particular situation...
Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydenim View Post

I did think of that and I popped in my MI:4 bluray but still no options. I was running my Oppo 103 through my AVR so I also tried running it from HDMI 1 out direct to the VT60 but that didn't show options either.

Hi Ricky, I believe Australian VT60's automatically run 24p blurays at 96hz, which is why there is no option for it.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitto View Post

Hi Ricky, I believe Australian VT60's automatically run 24p blurays at 96hz, which is why there is no option for it.
Oh really? Hope so! The info button just shows 1080p 24hz, motion is pretty decent with a minimal amount of flicker. Just wanted to ensure it would be at optimal 96hz.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:56 PM

My 65VT60 was just delivered.

HOLEY MOLEY! That's a BIG TV.eek.gif

Sure looks MUCH bigger in my small living room than it did in the showroom...tongue.gif
Old 01-08-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I have 90+ hours of controlled break-in on my 55VT60. For Blu-rays. I've found that THX Cinema with a few adjustments is pretty good. I had originally shunned the regular Cinema mode because on my ST30 it sucked but, to my surprise, Cinema on the VT60 is very good with all the flexibility and pro settings that you could ever (or maybe never) want. I tuned it up a bit for my cable DVR (Comcast) and got a very nice image with good contrast and brightness. I haven't looked at the Custom or Professional modes yet but Cinema looks like it could be a good "all-arounder" with some decent settings adjustments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Are you adjusting by eye or with equipment?

Only with my eyes so far, I don't have any calibration equipment so right now it's what my peepers tell my brain.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Thanks Larry! So, is there anyway to convert the LUX number i got from my lightmeter and see how much FtL I got for my plasma?

Thanks.

There is no way. LUX and ftL are units for measuring two different things as I explained in my post that you just quoted. Sorry.

Larry
Old 01-08-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoomerGuy View Post

My 65VT60 was just delivered.

HOLEY MOLEY! That's a BIG TV.eek.gif

Sure looks MUCH bigger in my small living room than it did in the showroom...tongue.gif
Enjoy it while you can, it shrinks pretty quickly.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:14 PM

Liked: 21
Well I think it's finally time to put my KRP-500m to rest. Or to rest at someone else's house anyway. I'm about to purchase a 65VT60 and have a question for you folks.

I'll be using a PS3 for my 3D blu-ray player, so obv no dual HDMI outputs. My yamaha RX-V1800 only goes up to HDMI 1.3 so I won't be able to pass the 3D through it. I've heard some refer to the ARC feature as HDMI out, but will I be able to pass uncompressed LPCM from this output to my receiver, or will I have to suffer through regular DD 5.1 via optical? rolleyes.gif

I understand there are starving kids out there so my suffering isn't really that but damnit I spent a lot of money on this stuff.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:17 PM

Hey guys, I just got a replacement 65 inch VT60 from Amazon after the first one had some dead pixels along with a strange darker smear. The new unit does not have any dead pixels but it has the same weird darker smear, just in a different place and is about the size of a quarter. Does anyone know what this is and if it will go away after normal use? It mostly shows up on the red slides but I can see it faintly on the others.

Kinda hard to take a good picture of it.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Enjoy it while you can, it shrinks pretty quickly.

Heh-heh...no doubt. When I got my 50" Panny about 4 years ago, I also thought..."Holy-Moley, that's a BIG TV."

After 4 years, it seems fairly small...and it's TINY compared to the 65".

I haven't read all the thread, but I presume the normal "100 hours to break in" is still the norm for these?

I doubt I'll run the slides while it breaks in...just watch TV in full screen mode.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasMaster13 View Post

Hey guys, I just got a replacement 65 inch VT60 from Amazon after the first one had some dead pixels along with a strange darker smear. The new unit does not have any dead pixels but it has the same weird darker smear, just in a different place and is about the size of a quarter. Does anyone know what this is and if it will go away after normal use? It mostly shows up on the red slides but I can see it faintly on the others.

Kinda hard to take a good picture of it.

Take another picture at night with the room dark. No camera flash. The reflection degrades the picture and makes it so you can't see what you're describing. smile.gif
Old 01-08-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

I have DNice slides from 2010 which gives 5 different shades of the white,red,green and blue where as the ones I down loaded today from DNice for my VT65 only has a single slide for the red,green,blue and 9 total for the white. Just wondering which set I should run.
Thanks

If you're running the slides to input D-Nice's settings then use the slides he provided for the VT60. Otherwise, you're not following the instructions 100%. If not, I don't think it matters.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Take another picture at night with the room dark. No camera flash. The reflection degrades the picture and makes it so you can't see what you're describing. smile.gif

Old 01-08-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasMaster13 View Post

I can see a darker area, though don't know what it could be. It's diagonal, going upward from left to right.

Try shining a light onto the area with the TV off and see if you notice something.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:15 PM

You're lucky to get a replacement. My first vt60" has yet to be delivered from Amazon. I know they're out now. Just hoping to get an unopened box.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Is 60" too large at a viewing distance of 12ft? Just curious because I currently have a 55 which Best Buy will be exchanging for the 60 Saturday. The 55 has performed flawlessly and I'm scared I'm going to get a dud.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

I can see a darker area, though don't know what it could be. It's diagonal, going upward from left to right.

Try shining a light onto the area with the TV off and see if you notice something.

I just turned the set off and shined my iPhone's light on the screen. I notice that when I shine the light from the right of the area that I can see it. Does this mean that it is a fault with the glass?

Old 01-08-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

Well I think it's finally time to put my KRP-500m to rest. Or to rest at someone else's house anyway. I'm about to purchase a 65VT60 and have a question for you folks.

I'll be using a PS3 for my 3D blu-ray player, so obv no dual HDMI outputs. My yamaha RX-V1800 only goes up to HDMI 1.3 so I won't be able to pass the 3D through it. I've heard some refer to the ARC feature as HDMI out, but will I be able to pass uncompressed LPCM from this output to my receiver, or will I have to suffer through regular DD 5.1 via optical? rolleyes.gif

I understand there are starving kids out there so my suffering isn't really that but damnit I spent a lot of money on this stuff.

I'm answering my own question in case anyone is led here from a google search. Just found this thread with this keyphrase:

"Since the PS3 cannot support the HD (i.e., lossless) audio when playing Blu-ray 3D discs you won't be losing anything audio or video wise for 3D playback from the PS3."

Guess it doesn't matter if that HDMI out on the VT60 can spit out lossless codecs.

Just bought the 65" beast. I plan to sit at a friendly distance of 6'.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Is 60" too large at a viewing distance of 12ft? Just curious because I currently have a 55 which Best Buy will be exchanging for the 60 Saturday. The 55 has performed flawlessly and I'm scared I'm going to get a dud.

As someone who had a 60" Sony A3000 and moved down to a 50" 9.5Gen Kuro I can tell you I missed the size despite the increase in PQ. Viewing distance was 6ish feet and still is. I'll be experiencing 10th row movie theater viewing angles when my 65" arrives. Not scared even a little bit.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

As someone who had a 60" Sony A3000 and moved down to a 50" 9.5Gen Kuro I can tell you I missed the size despite the increase in PQ. Viewing distance was 6ish feet and still is. I'll be experiencing 10th row movie theater viewing angles when my 65" arrives. Not scared even a little bit.

eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:

A 60" is absolutely not too large for 12 ft. In fact, I felt that my 58" was way too small for 12 feet. I now sit 9-10 ft from my new 65" and feel that its much better. But if I could have a 70"+ plasma, it would be even better. Get as large as you can afford for 12 ft. You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 PM

Hi folks!

New member here with a new VT60 55" set.

So I went from a 27" tube Toshiba tv to the VT60 this past Sunday and I cant believe the difference! Unreal!

I have been logging a lot of hours on the new panel this week and I have noticed something that may be a deal breaker for me. When I watch hockey ( and I watch hockey a lot!), the screen seems to flash/flicker every few seconds through out an entire game making it very difficult to view. I can't get this problem to occur on any other content other then hockey. I haven't tried snow sports yet.

I did some research and found that turning off the CATS setting might help but that did not (although I liked the picture better with this setting off). I called Panasonic and they ran me through some other setup options but nothing seemed to fix the problem. The Panasonic rep eventually told me to exchange the set for a new one, problem with that is there are no more vt60 55" TV's available where I live.

I am bummed out about this problem because I did a ton of research before buying the VT60 and I was confident that I was buying the best plasma that I could afford. I was also stoked that I found one because they will not be produced for much longer. I have 10 days left on my return/exchange policy, so worst case scenario I can still get my money back.

Can anyone suggest a setting option that might fix this problem? Could there be a software update that would fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks kindly

Old 01-08-2014, 09:01 PM

I went to HHGregg, Best Buy, and Electronics Express tonight to possibly shop for a new TV to maybe send back my 65VT60 due to it being too dim. I talked with the very helpful plasma fan sales guy from HHGregg and he had the F8500 and the VT60 side by side. After messing with the settings, its no doubt which TV I would want if all was equal. I would select the F8500 without hesitation and that was his pick too even though he likes Panasonic. However, I don't like the odd TV stand (might need a new theater stand for the stand), I'd have to send my VT60 back to Amazon, and I'd incur another $1300 in increased cost and tax. Or I could just go back to my 58VT25 for awhile and wait for a newer model...

So I went to Best Buy and the sales guys there weren't helpful. When I told him I didn't like the VT60, he looked at me like I was nuts and asked why...and really didn't believe me when I told him. He didn't have an F8500 in stock because it wasn't a magnolia store. I asked him the price and he looked it up on the website. I then questioned what LED would be the closest to a plasma....he said there aren't any expect OLED but they are too expensive. He spouted off the Sammy 8000 and 7000 series but really didn't help show me anything. Thanks pal.

At Electronics Express, I talked to the sales kid that asked me why I would want to go to a plasma and I would be unhappy if I did. LED was the best. I told him my price range and my 65-70" size requirement and he pointed me to the Sammy 7000 series. When I asked about the 8000 series, he said...well if you have extra money you could go to that. Whatever man.

So I came home and did nothing but watching varying content on my VT60 while changing picture settings. I compared with the same content on my VT25 in the other room. What I found was that I still like the CNET settings...the colors look very accurate to my eye and to what is on my VT25. I experimented in increasing the brightness 10 clicks...and I know it kills black level, but it increases the brightness a bit.... Its probably the answer on some content.

Then I experimented with THX Bright Room. I'm amazed how its so bright, but it really keeps the blacks. What I do notices that it looks way too Green to me. I tried adjusting Color and that doesn't work. There are no Pro settings. However, I did move it from Warm 2 to Warm 1....and it makes it better!!. Great for hockey and some other content. It won't replace CNETs, but I can use it to brighten up the hockey rink....its not perfect but better.

Do any of you calibration gurus have calibrated settings in Professional mode that is as bright as THX Bright Room? I know we've went on and on about how we can't copy settings and be perfect, but I'd love to have some more settings to try if others would post them. I have ControlCal, so I could easily accept a file. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Flint View Post

I have been logging a lot of hours on the new panel this week and I have noticed something that may be a deal breaker for me. When I watch hockey ( and I watch hockey a lot!), the screen seems to flash/flicker every few seconds through out an entire game making it very difficult to view. I can't get this problem to occur on any other content other then hockey. I haven't tried snow sports yet.

Can anyone suggest a setting option that might fix this problem? Could there be a software update that would fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting.....I watch a decent amount of NHL and have never experienced this. Sometimes the rink ice and over all picture is dim but I'm noticing that it varies from rink to rink and how the settings are coming from the TV feed. Have you tried CNETs settings or any other settings? Most suggest that all of the extra processing is turned to OFF no matter what settings you run.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Flint View Post

Hi folks!

New member here with a new VT60 55" set.
 So I went from a 27" tube Toshiba tv to the VT60 this past Sunday and I cant believe the difference! Unreal!

[snip]

Thanks kindly

This is discussed every month during hockey season. The flashing is due to overhead strobe lights for photographers. The strobes are common in pro rinks now. Record a game, find a section that has a flash, and step through it frame by frame. You'll see it clearly.

Larry
Old 01-08-2014, 09:21 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

No, it's actually too small. According to most HD viewing charts you'd have to sit 6' to 8' away to see the benefits of 1080p on a 60". You're barely seeing the benefits of 720p @ 12ft. I would move much closer if  possible. If not, I'd be looking in the 75"- 80" range.

fcb likes this.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Do any of you calibration gurus have calibrated settings in Professional mode that is as bright as THX Bright Room? I know we've went on and on about how we can't copy settings and be perfect, but I'd love to have some more settings to try if others would post them. I have ControlCal, so I could easily accept a file. Any help is appreciated.
Did you try Plasma TV Buying Guides settings? I think his calibration was trying to achieve a bright picture.

Wish more people here would share settings. We all know every panel acts differently but sometimes someone else's settings just might look better to you then what you are currently running on your TV. Just using defaults doesn't necessarily mean it would yield a better or more consistent result then using someone else's settings. Using a default setting in essence would be pretty much the same as using someone else's setting anyway.

In no way am I saying this is an alternative to a pro cal but it could help some folks out that have no intentions of getting a pro cal any time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv