Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 337 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 239Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10081 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,136
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iorek View Post

Hello,

I'm on the fence regarding a 55VT60 and time is seemingly running out. I currently have a 500M Kuro, but it has started to show signs of the red tint issue. I was considering trying the factory reset trick, but I figured I should at least consider grabbing one of the new Panasonics while I still can.

The only two things holding me back are maximum light output and DSE. I watch content in a almost-pitch black room with bias lighting most of the time. My Kuro is calibrated to ~34ftl and I find that to be just right, but I've seen a number of calibration reports where the VT60 comes up at about 25-30. My calibrator confirmed this by saying that the last few he calibrated came up at about 28.

DSE, while not a huge deal, is of some slight concern to me. I had a VT25 back in the day and it had very noticeable DSE, and while it wasn't a deal-breaker it was slightly annoying. The Kuro of course has little to no DSE.

Are these two things worth worrying about? Will I notice the difference between 34 and 28 ftl? Do all VT60s have DSE?

Speaking of the VT25, I can only assume that the whole brightness fluctuation bug has been eliminated in newer models, correct? As in when you go from a bright scene to a dark one the entire screen suddenly brightens about a half second later?

Thanks!

My 65VT60 has no issues getting to 38 ftL pro calibrated, so I don't see why that would be an issue for the 55". The VT60 does have some DSE but over time I hardly ever notice it and even then it's when I am specifically looking for it on a light background.
DavidHir is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10082 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Do I wish that the VT60 was brighter? Yes...absolutely. But I think its pretty much on par with my VT25 (like everyone has been telling me). There are no LEDs that i would be happy with and the F8500 will cost another $1300 and I think the stand is not very attractive. I've flip flopped back and forth, but I think I'm going to keep the VT60. If I had it to do over again, I might have waited until the next model year to see what Samsung comes out with. But for right now, the VT60 is a great TV at a great price and the one I'm going to stick with.

I still hope that someone will post some "CNET-like" settings that are as bright as THX Bright Room. If I could have another option to watch with the shades open during the day, this would be a near perfect TV. Hopefully one of you guys with the calibration equipment can experiment with it? There's not much that can be adjusted in THX Bright Room....so the new settings would have to be in Prof2.

There are settings in the Sound and Vision review of the VT60 that use Professional 2 and really go to town on all of the IRE values. They are a good starting point for experimenting. As far as brightness goes, I've been pleasantly surprised by the VT60's handling of whites. Are they LED or Samsung F8500 bright? No, but they are actually pretty good, especially in comparison to my old ST30. I watched parts of several hockey games on Comcast Sports Network and NBC Sports Network and while the brightness of the ice surfaces varies wildly from arena to arena depending on their lights, overall, they have looked pretty good. The best example is the SAP Center where the San Jose Sharks play. On my St30, the surface always looked dingy and dull. On the VT60, it looks considerably better.
Cal1981 is offline  
post #10083 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

hey guys,

I downloaded the VT60 prep slides from my Mac. Now I know some have had issues with Mac and I think I am too. When I downloaded the slides onto my flash drive i see all the colors and everything seems good but when i plug it into the TV and open them up theres about 5 or 6 boxes with [!] in them. Just black boxes that pop up as can not read file. I'm not sure what that is, is this do to my mac?
Yes, if you have a Windows machine, use that. Otherwise I am not sure if there was a work around for Macs.

I am currently using Sound & Visions calibration settings for the 65VT60 and think I am pretty happy with it. The only thing I changed was the W/B Detail Adust. I left them all at zero. I found that changing them seemed to do more damage then good.

Edit - Pretty funny Cal just wrote about Sound and Vision as I was typing this up. Would like to see what others say about the W/B Detail Adust if they try the settings out.
eric3316 is offline  
post #10084 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Scott Oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Yes, if you have a Windows machine, use that. Otherwise I am not sure if there was a work around for Macs.

I am currently using Sound & Visions calibration settings for the 65VT60 and think I am pretty happy with it. The only thing I changed was the W/B Detail Adust. I left them all at zero. I found that changing them seemed to do more damage then good.

Edit - Pretty funny Cal just wrote about Sound and Vision as I was typing this up. Would like to see what others say about the W/B Detail Adust if they try the settings out.

Can someone post the link to the S&V settings for the VT60? I'm not finding it on here.
Thank you, Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Scott Oakley is offline  
post #10085 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Can someone post the link to the S&V settings for the VT60? I'm not finding it on here.
Thank you, Scott
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/panasonic-tc-p65vt60-3d-plasma-hdtv-settings
eric3316 is offline  
post #10086 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
lapino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Since I am kinda fed up looking for a solution to fit a decent projector in our living room, I am considering switching my 50gt60 for a 65vt65. Is going from a 50" to a 65" going to make a big difference (sitting about 4m from the tv). Of course it wont be the same as my 102" screen I have for our projector, but I cant stand the picture of the cheap projector I now have compared to the plasma.
lapino is offline  
post #10087 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

Since I am kinda fed up looking for a solution to fit a decent projector in our living room, I am considering switching my 50gt60 for a 65vt65. Is going from a 50" to a 65" going to make a big difference (sitting about 4m from the tv). Of course it wont be the same as my 102" screen I have for our projector, but I cant stand the picture of the cheap projector I now have compared to the plasma.
A 65" is way larger then a 50.
http://displaywars.com/65-inch-16x9-vs-50-inch-16x9
eric3316 is offline  
post #10088 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Member
 
fkenyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Utah
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Alas, my 60VT60 doesn't arrive until Monday. Can someone compare brightness to a last generation CRT rear projection? ( which is what I'm looking at right now.)
fkenyon is offline  
post #10089 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Senior Member
 
lapino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Belgium
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 23
How about power consumption? Will a 65" be a lot more power draining than a 50"?
lapino is offline  
post #10090 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Of course it will.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #10091 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 221

Eric. were able to accurately interpret this section of the findings:

W/B Detail Adjust. (2D)
Mid High
Red –7 10
Green –1 4
Blue 14 –3

W/B Detail Adjust. (32D)
Mid High
Red –15 11
Green 0 0
Blue –6 –1

Is that mid panel brightness vs High and are the top RGB settings the high ones and the bottom ones the lows for the two panel levels?
Cal1981 is offline  
post #10092 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Eric. were able to accurately interpret this section of the findings:

W/B Detail Adjust. (2D)
Mid High
Red –7 10
Green –1 4
Blue 14 –3

W/B Detail Adjust. (32D)
Mid High
Red –15 11
Green 0 0
Blue –6 –1

Is that mid panel brightness vs High and are the top RGB settings the high ones and the bottom ones the lows for the two panel levels?
If you look in the comments there, someone wrote what they think it should be.
eric3316 is offline  
post #10093 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Eric. were able to accurately interpret this section of the findings:

W/B Detail Adjust. (2D)
Mid High
Red –7 10
Green –1 4
Blue 14 –3

W/B Detail Adjust. (32D)
Mid High
Red –15 11
Green 0 0
Blue –6 –1

Is that mid panel brightness vs High and are the top RGB settings the high ones and the bottom ones the lows for the two panel levels?


They can mean only one thing:

W/B Detail Adjust. (2D)
W/B High R +10
W/B High G +4
W/B High -4 -3
W/B Low -7
W/B Low -1
W/B Low +14

The other set is for 3D

It is a sloppy presentation by S&V -- to say the least. I makes one wonder if they were as sloppy in their calibration.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #10094 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Scott Oakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 80

Thank you. Appreciate it.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Scott Oakley is offline  
post #10095 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 04:53 PM
 
SeLfMaDe111985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

How about power consumption? Will a 65" be a lot more power draining than a 50"?

Are these serious questions?
SeLfMaDe111985 is offline  
post #10096 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 04:55 PM
 
SeLfMaDe111985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Yes, if you have a Windows machine, use that. Otherwise I am not sure if there was a work around for Macs.

I am currently using Sound & Visions calibration settings for the 65VT60 and think I am pretty happy with it. The only thing I changed was the W/B Detail Adust. I left them all at zero. I found that changing them seemed to do more damage then good.

Edit - Pretty funny Cal just wrote about Sound and Vision as I was typing this up. Would like to see what others say about the W/B Detail Adust if they try the settings out.

Had my IT guy stop but since everything in the house is Apple..he stopped by with his PC do it's all set thanks for your help
SeLfMaDe111985 is offline  
post #10097 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Member
 
Chorizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

How about power consumption? Will a 65" be a lot more power draining than a 50"?

You can find the average wattage in the panasonic specifications:
65VT60, average 189W
50GT50, average 106W

so that's a 78% increase in average power use. Average kilowatt-hour cost in the US is .12, so if you ran your TV for 6 hours a day before, it was costing you about $28 a year. The new one will cost about $50 annually. Of course, many things can differ in your actual usage between the two, but it is useful to see what the average of average is.
Chorizo is offline  
post #10098 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
yellowcanary73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: McKinney,Texas
Posts: 2,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anyone know where are who from AVS to buy a Mack or other warranty. I know they're use to be a couple people on here who sold them. one worked for a place in Texas.
Thanks
yellowcanary73 is offline  
post #10099 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Member
 
Codeman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

There are settings in the Sound and Vision review of the VT60 that use Professional 2 and really go to town on all of the IRE values. They are a good starting point for experimenting. As far as brightness goes, I've been pleasantly surprised by the VT60's handling of whites. Are they LED or Samsung F8500 bright? No, but they are actually pretty good, especially in comparison to my old ST30. I watched parts of several hockey games on Comcast Sports Network and NBC Sports Network and while the brightness of the ice surfaces varies wildly from arena to arena depending on their lights, overall, they have looked pretty good. The best example is the SAP Center where the San Jose Sharks play. On my St30, the surface always looked dingy and dull. On the VT60, it looks considerably better.

I'll try these and let you know. I think I stayed away from these settings due to the 2D contrast being on 64. I can't imagine it being brighter than what I'm using...but its the last thing I have to try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Great info on hockey viewing...I guess I reacted too quick and blamed it on the TV when I should have known better.
Codeman00 is offline  
post #10100 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

I'll try these and let you know. I think I stayed away from these settings due to the 2D contrast being on 64. I can't imagine it being brighter than what I'm using...but its the last thing I have to try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Great info on hockey viewing...I guess I reacted too quick and blamed it on the TV when I should have known better.

The differences in image brightness in the various NHL rinks is weird. Broadcasts from Madison Square Garden have rarely looked that good to me while the Joe in Detroit looks much better. Maybe it's the HD cameras used in the locations.
Cal1981 is offline  
post #10101 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly View Post

i'm saying is it equal to "ONE" Just hard buttons versus touchscreen..Or Since Harmony one is discontinue is there another remote being use now..i read Touch people do not like and logitech is no longer going to make harmony..ty for your response

You could use the Harmony 650 which is all hard buttons and the FFand RR are in the same place as the One, but has a limit on the number of devices it will control.

That's the one I use and prefer over the 'one'
mo949 is offline  
post #10102 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
XBR11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 844
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

In the past couple of days, I ended up trying various things to help out my VT60. As many of you know, I've been going back and forth on whether or not to send the TV back.

One thing I realized was that I had actually changed the lighting in my theatre room right before I got the new TV. Even though the lighting was behind me, it was still a bit bright and I think it was detracting from the brightness of the screen. I had forgotten the timing of this change and apparently I hadn't watched a lot of content on my VT25 in the new lighting. I unscrewed one of the LED bulbs and it made a drastic difference in overall panel brightness and picture quality, without the eye fatigue (what I noted as my eyes trying to pull in the light). This was HUGE improvement.

I then tried the Plasma Guide settings...and they are definitely not as bright as the CNET settings. I've watched various content now with CNET settings and it is by far amazing on my set. After watching Big Bang Theory last night and seeing the various palette of colors presented in the comic stores....WOW....I'm going to guess that my colors are very close to spot on. I'll use the word AMAZING. I can usually tell by the NBC logo if anything is pushing one color or another. I've realized a lot of my issue to was content based more so than the VT60's fault. Some hockey and football games are dim, others are bright and this TV reproduces the picture accurately more so than brightening everything up and losing detail. Now...all of this was in a dim room...not in a bright room.

Do I wish that the VT60 was brighter? Yes...absolutely. But I think its pretty much on par with my VT25 (like everyone has been telling me). There are no LEDs that i would be happy with and the F8500 will cost another $1300 and I think the stand is not very attractive. I've flip flopped back and forth, but I think I'm going to keep the VT60. If I had it to do over again, I might have waited until the next model year to see what Samsung comes out with. But for right now, the VT60 is a great TV at a great price and the one I'm going to stick with.

I still hope that someone will post some "CNET-like" settings that are as bright as THX Bright Room. If I could have another option to watch with the shades open during the day, this would be a near perfect TV. Hopefully one of you guys with the calibration equipment can experiment with it? There's not much that can be adjusted in THX Bright Room....so the new settings would have to be in Prof2.

Codeman00 - So glad to hear that you are getting happy with your tv!! Been reading about your thoughts/adventures (as they feel so much like mine). I am happy, but not WOW happy (yet). I am going to get a pro calibration because I want the colors and contrast and and brightness and gamma and everything spot on. I am tired of guessing (and second guessing and triple guessing) which of the 8 different picture modes to use, and then which setting to use. When I have the pro calibration settings, then I can say 'Now I have the perfect tv, with the perfect settings. Any problems with the way things look is not the tv's fault, it is either my fault or the source's fault (which I can't fix)'. PS - It really helped when I finally moved the old tv out of the room, because this way I can't side-by-side compare them.

_______________________________________________
[Hey, what does that Acronym mean?! Click here to learn.]
XBR11 is offline  
post #10103 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Member
 
greginaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

In the past couple of days, I ended up trying various things to help out my VT60. As many of you know, I've been going back and forth on whether or not to send the TV back.

One thing I realized was that I had actually changed the lighting in my theatre room right before I got the new TV. Even though the lighting was behind me, it was still a bit bright and I think it was detracting from the brightness of the screen. I had forgotten the timing of this change and apparently I hadn't watched a lot of content on my VT25 in the new lighting. I unscrewed one of the LED bulbs and it made a drastic difference in overall panel brightness and picture quality, without the eye fatigue (what I noted as my eyes trying to pull in the light). This was HUGE improvement.

I then tried the Plasma Guide settings...and they are definitely not as bright as the CNET settings. I've watched various content now with CNET settings and it is by far amazing on my set. After watching Big Bang Theory last night and seeing the various palette of colors presented in the comic stores....WOW....I'm going to guess that my colors are very close to spot on. I'll use the word AMAZING. I can usually tell by the NBC logo if anything is pushing one color or another. I've realized a lot of my issue to was content based more so than the VT60's fault. Some hockey and football games are dim, others are bright and this TV reproduces the picture accurately more so than brightening everything up and losing detail. Now...all of this was in a dim room...not in a bright room.

Do I wish that the VT60 was brighter? Yes...absolutely. But I think its pretty much on par with my VT25 (like everyone has been telling me). There are no LEDs that i would be happy with and the F8500 will cost another $1300 and I think the stand is not very attractive. I've flip flopped back and forth, but I think I'm going to keep the VT60. If I had it to do over again, I might have waited until the next model year to see what Samsung comes out with. But for right now, the VT60 is a great TV at a great price and the one I'm going to stick with.

I still hope that someone will post some "CNET-like" settings that are as bright as THX Bright Room. If I could have another option to watch with the shades open during the day, this would be a near perfect TV. Hopefully one of you guys with the calibration equipment can experiment with it? There's not much that can be adjusted in THX Bright Room....so the new settings would have to be in Prof2.

I took delivery of my 65" VT60 a few days ago and right out of the box in a dim room I was pretty disappointed by the brightness. My 50" Pioneer PDP-5040HD has a much brighter picture even in standard mode. I thought the VT would blow my 9 year old Pioneer away but it didn't. I've messed with all the popular calibrations here and nothing is really much better than THX Bright Room. The room I have it in gets light during the day but not direct on the panel and if THX Bright Room is as good as it gets this set is probably going back for a Sammy 7100.
greginaz1 is offline  
post #10104 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 06:55 PM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
cpc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Toronto,ON,Canada
Posts: 7,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 60ST30 and I just bought a 60VT60 as my last kick at the Panasonic Plasma can. The room the TV will be in gets some light, but its not too bad and as such, the ST30 has always seemed bright enough for me. I do prefer to watch TV and movies in a darker room, and/or at night. I wanted a 65ST60 but missed that boat and the 65VT60 is too rich for my blood even at the best price I could find.

Any ideas whether I will be ok with the brightness of the 60VT60 in my room if I was ok with my 60ST30?

Also, the 60VT60 will be placed about where the 60ST30 is, possibly an inch or two lower. I have heard there is some issue with the vertical range of viewability of the VT60 plasma. What can I expect?

smile.gif
cpc is offline  
post #10105 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,136
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

I have a 60ST30 and I just bought a 60VT60 as my last kick at the Panasonic Plasma can. The room the TV will be in gets some light, but its not too bad and as such, the ST30 has always seemed bright enough for me. I do prefer to watch TV and movies in a darker room, and/or at night. I wanted a 65ST60 but missed that boat.

Any ideas whether I will be ok with the brightness of the 60VT60 in my room if I was ok with my 60ST30?

smile.gif

Having gone from an 65ST30 to a 65VT60 myself, I think you will be fine with moderate light.
DavidHir is offline  
post #10106 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

I took delivery of my 65" VT60 a few days ago and right out of the box in a dim room I was pretty disappointed by the brightness. My 50" Pioneer PDP-5040HD has a much brighter picture even in standard mode. I thought the VT would blow my 9 year old Pioneer away but it didn't. I've messed with all the popular calibrations here and nothing is really much better than THX Bright Room. The room I have it in gets light during the day but not direct on the panel and if THX Bright Room is as good as it gets this set is probably going back for a Sammy 7100.
A Sammy 7100 LED? Your crazy! Only TV I would go to right now from a VT60 is an F8500. I really wish the price would have dropped on the 8500 like the VT60's did.
Scott Oakley likes this.
eric3316 is offline  
post #10107 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 07:51 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
^I'm personally more than okay that it didn't. ZT60 is not a bad option either.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #10108 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
yellowcanary73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: McKinney,Texas
Posts: 2,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

A Sammy 7100 LED? Your crazy! Only TV I would go to right now from a VT60 is an F8500. I really wish the price would have dropped on the 8500 like the VT60's did.

Just got my 65'' VT60 so can't commit on it to much but there is no way I would pay an extra $1300 on the Samsung 8500 everything I've ever owned made by Samsung I've had problems with I know some have great experience with them but not me. So I have the 65'' VT60 and the 65''S2 that I just boxed up to hold me till someone puts out the next best thing.
vinnie97 likes this.
yellowcanary73 is offline  
post #10109 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^I'm personally more than okay that it didn't. ZT60 is not a bad option either.
Why do you say that?

Also, if someone thinks the VT60 isn't bright enough then they surely won't like the ZT60.

Just curious, for you people who need LED brightness on your TV, do you watch with sun glasses on?
eric3316 is offline  
post #10110 of 16725 Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
That's true, but Chad B purportedly managed a 50 ftL calibration from a ZT with little in the way of consequence using high panel brightness.eek.gif ABL (on some content) would be the final phenomenon that could conceivably leave some of the "brighter is better" crowd unhappy,
vinnie97 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off