Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 340 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10171 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Member
 
jhersco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

Wow, I guess this is what is spoiling me...my old Pioneer plasma has brightness of 1000 cd/m2!

I finally settled on the Samsung F8500 and it doesn't appear to be only half as bright as my old Fujitsu. I don't expect any problem in a bright room.
jhersco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10172 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Member
 
Yeti1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell98 View Post

I know it's been covered prior but can folks comment on the sound quality of the vt models? For all movies and a lot of sports I use my surround system, but I do watch quite a bit of tv with the on- board speakers. Thanks for any though...

It sounds pretty good and better than my G25. It was one of the reasons I didn't pony up for the ZT because often in my house we turn off the big sound when one of us is trying to sleep and it appeared to have a more substantial speaker set with potentially better sound.

Nothing like the RX-2010 with 15" three ways but it doesn't shake the floor upstairs which is the whole point.
Yeti1234 is offline  
post #10173 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whipit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SGF
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Just to clear things up, the VT HAS a single sheet of glass design like the ZT except it stops at the speakers. On the ZT the panel and front glass are bonded. The ZT has no speakers so it goes to the chrome trim. The VT/ZT bezel is under the glass. Nothing like an ST that has an exposed bezel.

So there you go cpc.
whipit is online now  
post #10174 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 10:21 AM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Actually, the ZT *does* have speakers (as diminutive as they may be).
vinnie97 is offline  
post #10175 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whipit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SGF
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Actually, the ZT *does* have speakers (as diminutive as they may be).

Yea:). I was talking front glass. I should have been clear about no speakers out front, thanks. I'm surprised it's glass instead of a plasticky AR coating like my others.
whipit is online now  
post #10176 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 1,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

Yep, I have CATS off.

I'm thinking problem is me and my eyes now...my old Pioneer plasma had incredible brightness...but since I'm 'spoiled' it will be hard to accept this set.

I playing with Vivid mode now and it appears I can get what appears to be brighter here but need to play with colors more...has anyone else experimented here?

I my not be an electrical engineer (like that matters in regards to your ability to set up a display correctly - I mean seriously the occupation drop gives you creed) but I too came from a Pioneer and my CALIBRATED VT exceeds and matches it various categories. I just finished watching a movie with the whole left side of the room flushed with sunlight (15 feet of floor to ceiling windows) and not only was the VT bright enough it looked a heck of a lot better than my Sony XBR and Samsung LEDs.

The VT is a great display that needs to be set up correctly. All this discussion about brightness blah blah, the set can get more than bright enough with the right person setting it up. I do think a lot of people are jumping into plasma due to the technology being at end of life who are having trouble adapting to the differences of plasma and LED. If anyone thinks this years LEDs (if those shown at CES even make it to our local stores) are going to match the picture of the better plasmas from Pioneer, Samsung and Panasonic then I say respectfully you will be wrong.

A plasma display needs to be set up correctly and too many people are plugging in other peoples settings or expecting the THX modes to be reference out of the box. I am here to tell you it doesn't work that way. If you go the DIY route on picture settings then get ready to tinker for a while, especially the first 300 hours or so. There are no magic settings or quick fixes - dare I say that some of the posts lately demonstrate the need for help calibrating. It's not only about reference but setting your display up to perform its best in the environment it is being used in. Why do you think plasmas always look crappy in the a/v store smile.gif

Debate all you want about calibration, but that $400 I spent getting one has let me enjoy a kick ass (maybe bad ass) picture now since August. The type of picture that I still admire after 8 months of ownership. That looks good be it a blu-Ray, DTV or streaming Netflix. The only other display I can say that about - 5 years later - is my Pioneer but I love the bigger screen of my VT. What do they both have in common besides being plasmas - DNice.

P.S. OLED excluded.
mo949 and Denniswrly like this.
smurraybhm is online now  
post #10177 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Member
 
greginaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I my not be an electrical engineer (like that matters in regards to your ability to set up a display correctly - I mean seriously the occupation drop gives you creed) but I too came from a Pioneer and my CALIBRATED VT exceeds and matches it various categories. I just finished watching a movie with the whole left side of the room flushed with sunlight (15 feet of floor to ceiling windows) and not only was the VT bright enough it looked a heck of a lot better than my Sony XBR and Samsung LEDs.

The VT is a great display that needs to be set up correctly. All this discussion about brightness blah blah, the set can get more than bright enough with the right person setting it up. I do think a lot of people are jumping into plasma due to the technology being at end of life who are having trouble adapting to the differences of plasma and LED. If anyone thinks this years LEDs (if those shown at CES even make it to our local stores) are going to match the picture of the better plasmas from Pioneer, Samsung and Panasonic then I say respectfully you will be wrong.

A plasma display needs to be set up correctly and too many people are plugging in other peoples settings or expecting the THX modes to be reference out of the box. I am here to tell you it doesn't work that way. If you go the DIY route on picture settings then get ready to tinker for a while, especially the first 300 hours or so. There are no magic settings or quick fixes - dare I say that some of the posts lately demonstrate the need for help calibrating. It's not only about reference but setting your display up to perform its best in the environment it is being used in. Why do you think plasmas always look crappy in the a/v store smile.gif

Debate all you want about calibration, but that $400 I spent getting one has let me enjoy a kick ass (maybe bad ass) picture now since August. The type of picture that I still admire after 8 months of ownership. That looks good be it a blu-Ray, DTV or streaming Netflix. The only other display I can say that about - 5 years later - is my Pioneer but I love the bigger screen of my VT. What do they both have in common besides being plasmas - DNice.

P.S. OLED excluded.

Haha...not trying for cred but do want to get the point across that I'm a techie and sorta know how things work and how they should be set up. BUT, I don't have all the expert equipment, etc. for things like calibration which I agree when done right can help greatly. I'm just in a 15 day evaluation period and want to do what I can now...for free...before making a decision to keep. I do become more leery when it appears I may be bumping up against hardware limitations with things such as peak panel brightness that could potentially limit my personal viewing pleasure.biggrin.gif
greginaz1 is offline  
post #10178 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

A 60" is absolutely not too large for 12 ft. In fact, I felt that my 58" was way too small for 12 feet. I now sit 9-10 ft from my new 65" and feel that its much better. But if I could have a 70"+ plasma, it would be even better. Get as large as you can afford for 12 ft. You won't be disappointed.

You're correct…received the 60" today and while it will be perfect, the 65" would not have been too big. So far, very happy I returned the 55 for the 60.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
mbroadus is offline  
post #10179 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

Just to clear things up, the VT HAS a single sheet of glass design like the ZT except it stops at the speakers. On the ZT the panel and front glass are bonded. The ZT has no speakers so it goes to the chrome trim. The VT/ZT bezel is under the glass. Nothing like an ST that has an exposed bezel.

So there you go cpc.
Interesting, I thought I had read the single sheet pane was an exclusive ZT feature. Maybe it was more about the bonding process like you mentioned.
eric3316 is online now  
post #10180 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Denniswrly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: N,California
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I my not be an electrical engineer (like that matters in regards to your ability to set up a display correctly - I mean seriously the occupation drop gives you creed) but I too came from a Pioneer and my CALIBRATED VT exceeds and matches it various categories. I just finished watching a movie with the whole left side of the room flushed with sunlight (15 feet of floor to ceiling windows) and not only was the VT bright enough it looked a heck of a lot better than my Sony XBR and Samsung LEDs.

The VT is a great display that needs to be set up correctly. All this discussion about brightness blah blah, the set can get more than bright enough with the right person setting it up. I do think a lot of people are jumping into plasma due to the technology being at end of life who are having trouble adapting to the differences of plasma and LED. If anyone thinks this years LEDs (if those shown at CES even make it to our local stores) are going to match the picture of the better plasmas from Pioneer, Samsung and Panasonic then I say respectfully you will be wrong.

A plasma display needs to be set up correctly and too many people are plugging in other peoples settings or expecting the THX modes to be reference out of the box. I am here to tell you it doesn't work that way. If you go the DIY route on picture settings then get ready to tinker for a while, especially the first 300 hours or so. There are no magic settings or quick fixes - dare I say that some of the posts lately demonstrate the need for help calibrating. It's not only about reference but setting your display up to perform its best in the environment it is being used in. Why do you think plasmas always look crappy in the a/v store smile.gif

Debate all you want about calibration, but that $400 I spent getting one has let me enjoy a kick ass (maybe bad ass) picture now since August. The type of picture that I still admire after 8 months of ownership. That looks good be it a blu-Ray, DTV or streaming Netflix. The only other display I can say that about - 5 years later - is my Pioneer but I love the bigger screen of my VT. What do they both have in common besides being plasmas - DNice.

P.S. OLED excluded.
WOW, i could not have said that better, ty smile.gif

64f8500
oppo bdp-103
Denon avr 1803
Energy speakers
Energy sub
Dual recliner lazyboy
xbox 360
Denniswrly is offline  
post #10181 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Senior Member
 
CrazyNurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So*Cal
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've been waiting to move my Pioneer to another room and make room for something newer and bigger--the latest VT60.

I have been eyeing the 65" for awhile as my older plasma is only 50".

But now prices are coming down and the price for a ZT60 (60") is the same as the VT60 (65")!

What to do:

The "absolute best picture" at the end of the plasma era or "just as good but bigger" (at this price point, of course)?

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
CrazyNurse is offline  
post #10182 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post

I've been waiting to move my Pioneer to another room and make room for something newer and bigger--the latest VT60.

I have been eyeing the 65" for awhile as my older plasma is only 50".

But now prices are coming down and the price for a ZT60 (60") is the same as the VT60 (65")!

What to do:

The "absolute best picture" at the end of the plasma era or "just as good but bigger" (at this price point, of course)?

It may be that the VT60s prices are going up as the supply dwindles. See my previous posts about the price of the 55VT60 rising significantly over the past two weeks and even past two days. Looks like the laws of supply and demand are alive and well.
videobruce likes this.
Cal1981 is offline  
post #10183 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Newbie
 
LewsTherin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Alright, I've been searching for hours and can't find any resolution, so will give these forums a shot.

 

I just purchased a 55VT60 and have immediately noticed an audio lag for everything I've hooked up - cable, blu-ray, xbox one and ps3. I've tried everything I can think of: ran the hdmi straight to the TV to use internal speakers, ran hdmi to tv and used an optical cable to my receiver, ran all hdmi through my receiver passed the signal through to tv, replaced my hdmi cables, updated firmware, tried various modes like standard & THX cinema, etc. Nothing is working. My receiver has the ability to delay the audio further up to 9 frames, but not to delay the video signal which seems to be what is needed.

 

My setup works just fine with an 8 year old dlp and with a brand new 60" LED SmartTV...so it has to be the Panasonic. Based on my research, I'm starting to wonder if my model is defective.

 

The picture on this TV is amazing, but the out of sync sound is a deal breaker. I'm really hoping someone can help because I don't want to return it!

LewsTherin is offline  
post #10184 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post

I've been waiting to move my Pioneer to another room and make room for something newer and bigger--the latest VT60.

I have been eyeing the 65" for awhile as my older plasma is only 50".

But now prices are coming down and the price for a ZT60 (60") is the same as the VT60 (65")!

What to do:

The "absolute best picture" at the end of the plasma era or "just as good but bigger" (at this price point, of course)?

Decide quickly…stock in many places is very very low!! I received my 60 today from Best Buy. When I went to Best Buy's website to see the currently price…they are sold out in my area.
CrazyNurse likes this.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
mbroadus is offline  
post #10185 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 14,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
How bad are the reflections compared to other Panny's and other plasmas? Can I assume the stronger (if that is the correct term) the "filter" that is used, the less light output (no free lunch)?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
videobruce is offline  
post #10186 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 3,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

So, do what most of us do: fiddle with the settings in the Picture menu. You can make your new TV bright as hell. For example, try THX Bright Room (I think that's what its called). You won't solve your indecision typing about it here.

I'm an electrical engineer and have messed with all kinds of settings for 3 days now. THX Bright Room isn't even that bright...I'm thinking now maybe I have a defective set...standard mode on my set even when room is dark is very dark...unusable really...even in a cave...is this the way it is for everybody or is it maybe an indicator of abnormally low light output?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhersco View Post

I have a brightness question for owners of the VT60:

I am considering replacing my ten-year old Fujitsu P50XHA10U 1080i/720p plasma display with a 55" VT60, but I am concerned about the new TV's brightness level. According to a November review of the VT60 on PCMag.com, "Its peak brightness of 158.42 cd/m2 can't match the Samsung PN60F8500 (301.21 cd/m2)." The brightness spec for my old Fujitsu is 600 cd/m2. Unless specs are measured differently today, it would appear that the new plasma TVs are nowhere near as bright as my old Fujitsu. Is that true? Is the VT60 really only about one-quarter as bright as my old monitor? Is the F8500 only half as bright? Or, is it impossible to compare the old specs to the new ones?

Wow, I guess this is what is spoiling me...my old Pioneer plasma has brightness of 1000 cd/m2!


My son-in-law is an ee and couldn't set up a video display with Joe Kane sitting next to him.

First of all, google the AVSHD calibration disc, download it and the patterns manual, burn the disc, read the manual, and "start" there. Set up your display, view content, and report back with your subjective findings as well as all your settings.

In no way was your old plasma putting out 1000 cd/m2. That's over 290 Foot Lamberts.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is online now  
post #10187 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Member
 
dswierenga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

I took delivery of my 65" VT60 a few days ago and right out of the box in a dim room I was pretty disappointed by the brightness. My 50" Pioneer PDP-5040HD has a much brighter picture even in standard mode. I thought the VT would blow my 9 year old Pioneer away but it didn't. I've messed with all the popular calibrations here and nothing is really much better than THX Bright Room. The room I have it in gets light during the day but not direct on the panel and if THX Bright Room is as good as it gets this set is probably going back for a Sammy 7100.

I had the same Pioneer PDP-5040HD which I gave to my son when I bought the 65VT60. I'm thinking about asking for the Pioneer back smile.gif. Right now I'm using the CNET setting in Cinema with both Panel Brightness set to High and Black level set to bright. I keep messing with Contrast and Brightness to find that perfect setting. I cut the Color Temp back to Warm1 which seems to help with the contrast but after all of the great reviews of the VT60 I'm a bit disappointed that the PQ doesn't seem to match the Pioneer.

Panasonic TCP65VT60
Pioneer Elite VSX-70
Oppo BDP-103
Dish VIP722
AR-91 front speakers
PSB-Image 8C center spkr
Velodyne DLS-5000R subwoofer
Model Six surrounds
Harmony One remote
dswierenga is offline  
post #10188 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 12:16 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
^Wha? The only area it might not match it is in max brightness (blame that on environmental regulations), but that Pioneer panel dates back to 2003. In every other area, you should be seeing improvements.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #10189 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The bright room, IR, break-in, slides etc. talk can be a bit daunting. I fondly remember the clouding/flashlighting talk when I bought my current set four years ago. Seems nothing has changed for the latter in that time, sadly.

So I ponied up for the 65VT after the ZT went quickly. Delivery is set for next Friday.

This will be its new home:



Going to give the Harmony Smart and the Antec lighting a whirl as well.

Hopefully, all goes well and the swearing stays at a minimum. Having dealt with the Harmony software a few times before, I highly doubt this will happen.
DLF54927 is offline  
post #10190 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Member
 
greginaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post


My son-in-law is an ee and couldn't set up a video display with Joe Kane sitting next to him.

First of all, google the AVSHD calibration disc, download it and the patterns manual, burn the disc, read the manual, and "start" there. Set up your display, view content, and report back with your subjective findings as well as all your settings.

In no way was your old plasma putting out 1000 cd/m2. That's over 290 Foot Lamberts.

Since I don't have the proper test equipment I can only go by the data sheet for Pioneer (see link below) and my own eyes compared it to the VT60 and there really is NO comparison at all to me in brightness and all condition PQ.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Plasma/PDP-5040HD

I guess that I'm just spoiled by the Pioneer. The VT has a great pic when there is very little light but suffers otherwise when compared to the Pioneer. Oh well. No big deal as I will mess around some more and can just send back.
greginaz1 is offline  
post #10191 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Member
 
greginaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^Wha? The only area it might not match it is in max brightness (blame that on environmental regulations), but that Pioneer panel dates back to 2003. In every other area, you should be seeing improvements.

I hear ya. And yes but I go back and forth between both sets and I still prefer the old Pioneer. Believe it or not sometimes 'old' engineering is better than new too (due to implementation cost and the overall lack of genius analog designers these days)...especially in analog/RF things...

Maybe I was unrealistic in expecting huge differences in the performance on this new set???
greginaz1 is offline  
post #10192 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Member
 
greginaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lincoln Park, Chicago
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswierenga View Post

I had the same Pioneer PDP-5040HD which I gave to my son when I bought the 65VT60. I'm thinking about asking for the Pioneer back smile.gif. Right now I'm using the CNET setting in Cinema with both Panel Brightness set to High and Black level set to bright. I keep messing with Contrast and Brightness to find that perfect setting. I cut the Color Temp back to Warm1 which seems to help with the contrast but after all of the great reviews of the VT60 I'm a bit disappointed that the PQ doesn't seem to match the Pioneer.

I agree...I guess we are finding out how good the 5040 was...my BB guy said it was one of best panels ever made...for what that is worth! rolleyes.gif

I watch a lot of hockey too and the ice just doesn't look as good no matter what I do to settings.
greginaz1 is offline  
post #10193 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 12:33 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

I agree...I guess we are finding out how good the 5040 was...my BB guy said it was one of best panels ever made...for what that is worth! rolleyes.gif

I watch a lot of hockey too and the ice just doesn't look as good no matter what I do to settings.
I can imagine the ABL on that set is much less restrictive than that on the ZT60, which is contributing to whites that are simply less bright. I owned the last Pioneer (Elite) Plasma and felt the ZT60 and Pioneer were pretty close (the ZT60 being slightly dimmer).
vinnie97 is offline  
post #10194 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whipit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SGF
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Interesting, I thought I had read the single sheet pane was an exclusive ZT feature. Maybe it was more about the bonding process like you mentioned.

Just the bonding process and black filter are exclusive to the ZT. The VT also has the same new red Phosphor and 98% DCI color ability.
whipit is online now  
post #10195 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whipit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SGF
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewsTherin View Post

Alright, I've been searching for hours and can't find any resolution, so will give these forums a shot.

I just purchased a 55VT60 and have immediately noticed an audio lag for everything I've hooked up - cable, blu-ray, xbox one and ps3. I've tried everything I can think of: ran the hdmi straight to the TV to use internal speakers, ran hdmi to tv and used an optical cable to my receiver, ran all hdmi through my receiver passed the signal through to tv, replaced my hdmi cables, updated firmware, tried various modes like standard & THX cinema, etc. Nothing is working. My receiver has the ability to delay the audio further up to 9 frames, but not to delay the video signal which seems to be what is needed.

My setup works just fine with an 8 year old dlp and with a brand new 60" LED SmartTV...so it has to be the Panasonic. Based on my research, I'm starting to wonder if my model is defective.

The picture on this TV is amazing, but the out of sync sound is a deal breaker. I'm really hoping someone can help because I don't want to return it!

I was watching the CBS Morning show today and said Damn that looks awesome, sorry but I was blown away that a tv service could look that good. Most feeds dont't. It was so good I watched the whole show. During the show i hit my Denon's mute button and hit it again and got lag. I had video lag that was behind the audio about a half second, it was bad and very abnormal, something I never see or notice anyway. So I power cycled the AVR and not much better then I turned everything off and came back an hour later and it went to a good sync, so maybe give that or some combo a try. I think it's a handshake issue making some timing off and this tv is more sensitive to it than my G10 with the same equipment. It does seem very rare that it happens and we watch lots of tv shows off U-verse.
whipit is online now  
post #10196 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Member
 
Codeman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

Great deal or not it still is a lot of money to be spending if I'm going to second guess and not be happy with my decision...and heaven forbid I ever have to move this TV to a room that is even brighter...ugh.

As I said earlier the 'standard' mode picture on my 9 year old PDP-5040HD is more to my liking...hence my disappointment right out of box.

I know...I know....but as I explained before....its the aggravation of sending it back and paying $1300 for the other plasma option or just waiting until something better comes on the market. rolleyes.gif

I'm trying to be happy with it and for the most part, I am.
Codeman00 is offline  
post #10197 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 3,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post


My son-in-law is an ee and couldn't set up a video display with Joe Kane sitting next to him.

First of all, google the AVSHD calibration disc, download it and the patterns manual, burn the disc, read the manual, and "start" there. Set up your display, view content, and report back with your subjective findings as well as all your settings.

In no way was your old plasma putting out 1000 cd/m2. That's over 290 Foot Lamberts.

Since I don't have the proper test equipment I can only go by the data sheet for Pioneer (see link below) and my own eyes compared it to the VT60 and there really is NO comparison at all to me in brightness and all condition PQ.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Plasma/PDP-5040HD

I guess that I'm just spoiled by the Pioneer. The VT has a great pic when there is very little light but suffers otherwise when compared to the Pioneer. Oh well. No big deal as I will mess around some more and can just send back.

You've stumped me. I checked on posts from calibrator acquaintances who were working back then and could find no info. Although the Pioneer documentation does say 1000 cd/m2 it is highly improbable in realty. First of all there is no need short of viewing on the sun for 290 FtL output. The Samsung F8500 max's out somewhere around 70 and that is too bright for nearly all lighting environments.

Regardless, try this with your VT60: CATs Off, PNL BRT HIGH, Contrast 100, Gamma 2.4 (yields about 2.2), Color Temp anything but Warm. Turn off anything that says or infers AUTO. If your display is still too dark it's either broken or you just aren't cut out for plasma. smile.gif

Edit: use pro 1 or 1 mode

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is online now  
post #10198 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Member
 
Codeman00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

You're correct…received the 60" today and while it will be perfect, the 65" would not have been too big. So far, very happy I returned the 55 for the 60.

Glad to hear it! Enjoy!!
Codeman00 is offline  
post #10199 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Newbie
 
Trev Flint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could somebody please provide a download link to the break in slides for a USB stick? Thanks kindly
Trev Flint is offline  
post #10200 of 14745 Old 01-11-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whipit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SGF
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Flint View Post

Could somebody please provide a download link to the break in slides for a USB stick? Thanks kindly

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread
whipit is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off