Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 349 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10441 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

Haha!!!! I'm whacked!!!!!

Anyways I pretty much agree with you. I got caught up on reviews...and 'best'...and the 'deal' I got...but I just don't like the performance of this TV for my viewing habits...mostly sports and I rarely watch movies off Blu Ray at night in a cave...plus I now realize how good my Pioneer plasma is...it is a blazer even in straight out of box standard mode!

It also may be me...I'm in my 40s now and my eyes have started to go...I notice even for reading I need more light to see things I used to see fine...maybe the same goes for this dim TV?

Its interesting that we have the similar viewing habits and are of similar age. And we both are having trouble with this set.... Its almost always sports and some reality shows for me. I rarely watch movies which I'm sure make this TV shine.

I'm going to be pretty sad if I call Amazon this weekend...but maybe its all for the best in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10442 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 06:15 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Haha!!!! I'm whacked!!!!!

Anyways I pretty much agree with you. I got caught up on reviews...and 'best'...and the 'deal' I got...but I just don't like the performance of this TV for my viewing habits...mostly sports and I rarely watch movies off Blu Ray at night in a cave...plus I now realize how good my Pioneer plasma is...it is a blazer even in straight out of box standard mode!

It also may be me...I'm in my 40s now and my eyes have started to go...I notice even for reading I need more light to see things I used to see fine...maybe the same goes for this dim TV?

Let's be real. You're fishing to hear just the right thing to convince you into keeping it. EXCHANGE THE TV. Just do it.

When not out/working I am perpetually in my man cave with blankets (nice ones) covering the windows. Zero sunlight is allowed in here. Trespassers with bright colored shirts are shot. From what I heard I would not have purchased this set otherwise since I favor a brighter picture.

Now if I receive it and still consider it too dim even in the cave I will be returning it without hesitation.
post #10443 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Do you wear glasses? I recently got glasses about 6 months ago and what a difference it makes. As weird as it might sound my TV looks much brighter when I put my glasses on from when I don't have them on.

Since I was 13 I have worn contacts/glasses because I was near sighted...now my reading vision is going...argh!

I'm watching Sleepy Hollow now and the picture is amazing in the dark room...man, how I go back and forth...my wife and probably several others want to kill me...her mainly because she loves the old Pioneer in her 'space' now and doesn't want to give it back...lol

Isn't America great?! My biggest issue is deciding on what few thousand dollar TV I want to watch...
post #10444 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

Let's be real. You're fishing to hear just the right thing to convince you into keeping it. EXCHANGE THE TV. Just do it.

When not out/working I am perpetually in my man cave with blankets (nice ones) covering the windows. Zero sunlight is allowed in here. Trespassers with bright colored shirts are shot. From what I heard I would not have purchased this set otherwise since I favor a brighter picture.

Now if I receive it and still consider it too dim even in the cave I will be returning it without hesitation.

I'm really fishing for the 'right' setting out of the infinite possibilities...lol!

In complete dark with good HD source the pic is great.
post #10445 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Its interesting that we have the similar viewing habits and are of similar age. And we both are having trouble with this set.... Its almost always sports and some reality shows for me. I rarely watch movies which I'm sure make this TV shine.

I'm going to be pretty sad if I call Amazon this weekend...but maybe its all for the best in the long run.

Yeah, crazy...and I agree with you too...I'm a huge Hawks fan and the picture is not really that great...so that was strike one...but it does look great now watching a show filmed in expert HD quality...so ???
post #10446 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

I know Eric...its sad that I'm going through this. Its nice to see that there are a few others so I don't feel so crazy.

I definitely see the great blacks...and the details in shadows...they are amazing and I can appreciate them. Remember, I have two VT25s...but I never felt the need to tweak them from DNice Day settings. Never. Ever. I really don't want retina burning brightness...just 20% more would be fine by me...the problem of course is that this set doesn't have any more left without using panel bright.

I'm interested in seeing if Chad B can help so I send him a PM. We'll see what he says and hopefully he gets back to me by the weekend.

The big problem here is that I don't have any other options right now. I have about $2000-$3000 to spend on a 65" set. I don't like the samsung stand at all but I love the picture. I don't really want a blurry motion cartoon LED of any kind. Are Vizios actually worthwhile coming from a plasma? I have no idea how much Samsungs new plasmas are going to range in price...heck their F8500 is still over $3000 and out of my price range. If I turn this TV back in, I probably won't buy another TV until next fall which is disappointing after finally getting a 65" plasma like I always wanted.

By the way...there are still VT50s out there...does anyone know if that is a brighter option for me? I heard there were some problems though with that year panels and some kind of class action lawsuit.

I hear ya on the options part...I need a TV...and right now pickings are slim with 13s going out the door and 14s maybe a month or two away...

Speaking of Chad...are you asking him for bright panel mode with good PQ settings?
post #10447 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:

I am not really familiar with reading charts but based on the comment of text book I am guessing it looks good...

How about posting some settings for us to try with using color set to normal. I have yet to see any settings using that and I am sure plenty of people here would love to try it even if it doesn't yield perfection on our TV as is does yours.

I just updated my settings to show what settings I used for that report.

Click on the top link in my sig.

Also note that these setting a done after I ran a 21^3 Profile/LUT, that's why you don't see any Color detail adjustments. .
The Color detail adjustments.are way to big to fit into the settings and memory of the VT60 so I use a external processor and storage unit called eecolor. If you have the eecolor I can send you the settings for the CMS.

ss
eric3316 likes this.
post #10448 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 06:48 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

On our 6010 Kuro the setting that UMR Jeff Meier) used was -15, which in effect, is OFF. I assume that for the Pioneer Kuro sets the default was -15. Our previous set was a Samsung DLP rear projector. I'm pretty sure that it's default OFF setting was something other than zero as well. I don't know what Panasonic uses, but my first guess would be zero.

Yes Jeff who I know and also help me learn how to calibrate, does not like to use sharpness on the Kuro's or the VT50's.

As for the 100% white output, there are so many things that will increase or decrease the high FtL. One of things that hasn't been mentioned that will impact the high FtL is meter placement and even a spectro verse a color meter.

I like to use a 5.5% non APL window in a dark room and also profile my color meter to my spectro meter.
My preference for the brightness setting in both the pro modes is +2 or +3 if I have to, 0 setting for sharpness. For contrast in the pro modes I stay close to +63, I also use Normal color temp setting, panel brightness Mid.
When setting my grayscale I first set my 100% setting using High RGB and tweak using the detailed setting, then run a 21 point grayscale all though the VT60 has only a 10 point adjustment. The reason for using the 21 point grayscale is to balance the odd points with the even points using the high and low RGB settings in the VT60. Once that is done I fine tune the 100% setting and then fine tune the 10 point settings that are in the VT60.
This way when I view a 21 point step grayscale I shouldn't see any signs of tint other than gray.

My point is we all have are different ways to calibrate along with different software and hardware.

ss

If I was to find the largest window size I could use before ABL kicked in and then placed the a colorimeter just far enough away, where its FOV (Field of View) extended just to the edges of the 100% white window, wouldn't that be the best way to get a better sampling of the color / uniformity of the screen for calibrating? Too bad we can't see what the meter is seeing in order to fill it's FOV without spilling out over the edges of the windows into black or would this not matter really. It's also too bad that the cheaper colorimeters don't have a laser to aim them more accurately.

My original question was this. As the 100% white window size get's smaller, does it continue to get brighter and brighter assuming the meter's FOV (by placement) always fits within that window? Or is there a limit where it just won't get any brighter. i would assume the panel would only supply up to a maximum in any one spot if the window size got too small?

I hope I am making some sense here?
post #10449 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 07:01 PM

Liked: 31
Codeman00 - How about buying a used Pioneer Kuro (with your $2000 to $3000)?
post #10450 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

I would love to myself but it seems very difficult depending on what part of the country you live in, as many owners won't ship and only want local pickup.
post #10451 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donat76 View Post

If I was to find the largest window size I could use before ABL kicked in and then placed the a colorimeter just far enough away, where its FOV (Field of View) extended just to the edges of the 100% white window, wouldn't that be the best way to get a better sampling of the color / uniformity of the screen for calibrating? Too bad we can't see what the meter is seeing in order to fill it's FOV without spilling out over the edges of the windows into black or would this not matter really. It's also too bad that the cheaper colorimeters don't have a laser to aim them more accurately.

My original question was this. As the 100% white window size get's smaller, does it continue to get brighter and brighter assuming the meter's FOV (by placement) always fits within that window? Or is there a limit where it just won't get any brighter. i would assume the panel would only supply up to a maximum in any one spot if the window size got too small?

I hope I am making some sense here?

Probably, but when you are in the window size range of 11% down to 5% there isn't going to be much of a difference.

Below is a link for a viewing angle size.
http://store.spectracal.com/article-why-viewing-angle-is-important.

The C6 meter that the chart shows should be the same as a D3 color meter, if that's what you are using.
Show a 100% stim window sized to what you want to use. Take continuous reading when pulling back your meter, when the reading starts to drop you have pulled your meter back to far. When using a meter for a plasma I would suggest using off screen mode, that way when the meter is averaging the pixels the bigger the read area the better up two about two feet.

ss
Donat76 likes this.
post #10452 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 07:10 PM

Liked: 31
Where do find these Kuros? Ebay? Craig's List? Here?
post #10453 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:

I just updated my settings to show what settings I used for that report.

Click on the top link in my sig.

Also note that these setting a done after I ran a 21^3 Profile/LUT, that's why you don't see any Color detail adjustments. .
The Color detail adjustments.are way to big to fit into the settings and memory of the VT60 so I use a external processor and storage unit called eecolor. If you have the eecolor I can send you the settings for the CMS.

ss
Thank you. I do not have an eecolor so guess I should just leave the color detail adjustments at zero?
post #10454 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. I do not have an eecolor so guess I should just leave the color detail adjustments at zero?

Yes.

ss
post #10455 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since I was 13 I have worn contacts/glasses because I was near sighted...now my reading vision is going...argh!

I'm watching Sleepy Hollow now and the picture is amazing in the dark room...man, how I go back and forth...my wife and probably several others want to kill me...her mainly because she loves the old Pioneer in her 'space' now and doesn't want to give it back...lol

Isn't America great?! My biggest issue is deciding on what few thousand dollar TV I want to watch...
It's pretty funny. I always think I am talking to a bunch of kids here and then realize most of us are in our 30's and 40's. We still act like kids I guess, just with more expensive toys. Lol
post #10456 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_0002 View Post

I would love to myself but it seems very difficult depending on what part of the country you live in, as many owners won't ship and only want local pickup.

I've got a 50" krp-500m in great shape, stand, no red tint, and am willing to ship in original box. Just sayin'.
post #10457 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Thank you.

Didn't see that and will read ASAP.

I have tried panel brightness to max and it seems to wash out things...which like you said means more adjustments elsewhere...and I only have a week left before I need to return this.

I really just think my personal preference is for 'bright' and this set is 'dim' and meant for dark rooms for great black level performance.

Changed panel brightness to high and it does brighten but for example if I'm watching news and one of the newscasters is wearing a black suit is it still REALLY black and I can't really detect say his sleeve edge against the body of his jacket or leg...

Greg, just curious, how many hours total do you have on your VT60? I bought my 65VT60 on Cyber Monday and and have thought about returning it ever since (I have until end of this month). My frame of reference is a 63B590 Samsung plasma from late 2009 which I love - and just decided to move to another room. I have tried all of the various settings both stock, along with S&V, CNET, Dnice ISF-Day (and some others). For weeks I settled on D-Nice while admitting it was only marginally better than THX-Cinema. But lately I've been really happy with the CNet setting.

More importantly, I also thought the set was dim but my biggest issue was a lack of clarity/low-level resolution. I chalked it up to inferior video processing in the Panny vs. the Sammy (note I spend 99% of my time watching FiOS). But I've read a few other posts and reviews on Amazon (including a recent one) that talks about this set improving as you get more hours on it. I cannot agree more. I swear the set starting getting brighter (certainly bright enough for me) at around the 300-hour mark. But I was still disappointed with the clarity. Around the 375-hour, I swear the clarity starting getting better every day. I believe the low-level resolution issue is a result of the excess dithering which definitely improves over time as the phosphors age.

As I close in on 400 hours, I'm now starting to love the set. I'm starting to think that no one should judge this set critically until you get 400-500 hours on it. I know you're coming up on your return period but if you do not have have 400 hours on it yet, I would run it 24/7 and see if your concerns go away. Good luck with whichever way you go!
post #10458 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So your watch your TV with the color set to normal? Isn't that against what every calibrator uses? Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

I should have added that Tom Hoffman (CromaPure) was the one who came up with the idea of using Color temp Normal, after he did a calibration for someone's VT60.
And as you can tell I agree with Tom.

ss
post #10459 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The 2.0 limitation is a copyright issue and no manufacture is allowed to design an escape hatch.

ARC will pass surround sound for all internal sources and built in applications. It will not pass surround sound from external sources connected with HDMI or other inputs.

Your coax input from your antenna is internal to your TV because the signal is going through the TV's tuner.

I appreciate the clarification, thank you!
post #10460 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I should have added that Tom Hoffman (CromaPure) was the one who came up with the idea of using Color temp Normal, after he did a calibration for someone's VT60.
And as you can tell I agree with Tom.

ss
I think I likey the settings. Recommend for others to try.
post #10461 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishnutter View Post

Greg, just curious, how many hours total do you have on your VT60? I bought my 65VT60 on Cyber Monday and and have thought about returning it ever since (I have until end of this month). My frame of reference is a 63B590 Samsung plasma from late 2009 which I love - and just decided to move to another room. I have tried all of the various settings both stock, along with S&V, CNET, Dnice ISF-Day (and some others). For weeks I settled on D-Nice while admitting it was only marginally better than THX-Cinema. But lately I've been really happy with the CNet setting.

More importantly, I also thought the set was dim but my biggest issue was a lack of clarity/low-level resolution. I chalked it up to inferior video processing in the Panny vs. the Sammy (note I spend 99% of my time watching FiOS). But I've read a few other posts and reviews on Amazon (including a recent one) that talks about this set improving as you get more hours on it. I cannot agree more. I swear the set starting getting brighter (certainly bright enough for me) at around the 300-hour mark. But I was still disappointed with the clarity. Around the 375-hour, I swear the clarity starting getting better every day. I believe the low-level resolution issue is a result of the excess dithering which definitely improves over time as the phosphors age.

As I close in on 400 hours, I'm now starting to love the set. I'm starting to think that no one should judge this set critically until you get 400-500 hours on it. I know you're coming up on your return period but if you do not have have 400 hours on it yet, I would run it 24/7 and see if your concerns go away. Good luck with whichever way you go!
I saw someone mention in the ZT thread that when you check the hours on the TV there is a letter in front of it and this starts at A and goes up with the more hours you put on the TV. They believed with each letter the panel got brighter and this was Panasonic's way to help break it in.

Not sure how true that is though.
post #10462 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:

I hear ya on the options part...I need a TV...and right now pickings are slim with 13s going out the door and 14s maybe a month or two away...

Speaking of Chad...are you asking him for bright panel mode with good PQ settings?

Yes I am. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon with his thoughts and a cost estimate.
post #10463 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 08:26 PM

I finally got my VT60 hooked up, and even without any adjustments or tweaking, I'm amazed at how perfect and natural the picture is compared to LCD. It blows me away when I walk up to it from extreme angles, and the image doesn't wash out at all.

Unfortunately, I'm getting strange artifacts in both of the THX picture modes. So far, I only notice it on one channel, but it's consistently in the exact same spot. When I switch to custom, cinema, home theater, etc., it goes away completely. Switch back to THX, and there it is again. Trails of blocks stream from the square when there's motion on the screen. Has anyone ever seen this before? The last image is the right side of the screen when off. Does this look normal?

post #10464 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
No.....it sounds like you're due a replacement.
post #10465 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

LOL. Good one!
post #10466 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
From Tom Huffman:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1174468/the-official-chromapure-thread/4620#post_23654807
Quote:
The ST/VT 50 and 60 series of Panasonic plasmas are incredibly good. I calibrated a VT60 last night and using only the set's internal controls here's what I got.

I have been calibrating Panasonic plasmas for ten years. It is stunning how much better they have gotten. These results were obtained without any fancy multi-point LUT adjustments.

The part in bold typeface is by me.

and

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1174468/the-official-chromapure-thread/4620#post_23663964
Quote:
I had no trouble at all. One thing that I do that is a little unconventional is that I use the Normal color temp setting. This requires lowering blue more than you would when using the Warm2 setting (which is the most accurate starting point), but the results are very good, even at the very low end. The color gamut was very close to perfect with no calibration at all, and using the 2.4 preset the gamma only required some minor tweaks. I don't know what trouble others are having. I didn't have any at all.

[snip]

Again the bold is by me.

So... No LUT required to get a gamut very close to perfect.

Larry
mike1369 likes this.
post #10467 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

No.....it sounds like you're due a replacement.

B-B-But he sees it only on one channel. If it doesn't behave this way on other channels, it would be some oddity specific to that one channel and not the TV.

Larry
post #10468 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Doh, he'll have to clarify if it happens on other sources. I didn't see a mention. Hopefully, it is the source as you surmise. smile.gif
post #10469 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

B-B-But he sees it only on one channel. If it doesn't behave this way on other channels, it would be some oddity specific to that one channel and not the TV.

Larry

I thought about the same thing, but why is it there only in THX modes? I've watched this channel every day on my Samsung F7050 that I'm returning, and never had this problem.
post #10470 of 14795 Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

I thought about the same thing, but why is it there only in THX modes? I've watched this channel every day on my Samsung F7050 that I'm returning, and never had this problem.

Does it happen on any other channel? Does it happen on another source like BD/DVD? If not than it is not the TV.

Larry
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page