Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 352 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 233Likes

post #10531 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

Thanks chunon... Do you just read it from the document?

ie:

etc...
??

Sadly it's not as straight forward as that. You'll have to jump around through the TV's settings if you want to apply them top to bottom from DNice's documents.

I just did mine the other night. As said above, it is tedious, but can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Does ANYONE else post "reference" settings? Like Cnet.. or anyone else?? Is there anyone that uses a different set of Reference Settings OTHER than D-Nice?
Cnet has settings posted here:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/

There are a slew of other setting posted by people if you do some Google/forum searching.
post #10533 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:

Does ANYONE else post "reference" settings? Like Cnet.. or anyone else?? Is there anyone that uses a different set of Reference Settings OTHER than D-Nice?
Check out SillySally's post a few pages back. Really like his settings and second best I have found was Sound and and Visions. I have a link some pages back.
post #10534 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Greg,

Chad did get in touch with me...and quickly I might add. I explained to him what I was asking for (which you know is a brighter panel near the brightness of THX Bright Room). He knows his stuff because he described exactly what the problem was withTHX Bright Room.... "splotchiness" on people's skin which he said was caused by low gamma. He also noted that he has measured the panel brightness of one VT60 in THX Bright Room and it came out at 56 fL. I thought this was interesting information so we know now the real max output of this set. He said that his calibration would be a bit less bright because of increased gamma but will make the colors and skin look correct, and brighter whites. He has calibrated a VT60 recently this way and achieved 52 fL. Since we know that most calibrations for night mode would be about 34-38 fL, this would be a HUGE improvement. I would hope that I would be happy with that because that would definitely out do my VT25s. He also noted that I would be very disappointed to send back the VT60....which I already know.

I didn't really want to put any more money into this set....but my only other alternatives right now are to send this one back and not have a set for the forseeable future, go with LED (ugh), or pay 2-3 times as much as a calibration for the upgrade to F8500 in which I particularly don't like the stand. Decisions...decisions. Plus, I'm interested to see if this rumor is true about the panel aging and brightening up between 300 and 500 hours. I'm guessing I'm at 200-250 or so on my set but I haven't checked. I almost think that a Chad B calibration is the right way to go here..... It means a lot that he messaged me back. One of the other popular calibrators I contacted hasn't responded.

You will be very happy with Chad's calibration. He's calibrated several of my displays over the years and I have always been very happy. He's top notch.
Chad B likes this.

post #10535 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 10:39 AM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

Just ordered 'WOW' to see if I can make any improvement even though I am very happy with THX Cinema.

I am using a 'fat' PS3 and a Pioneer Elite SC-63. Only connection to set is HDMI from receiver to HDMI 2 on Panasonic. Any settings I should have on the PS3 to make sure calibration is done correctly?

Also, the Pioneer upconverts 720p to 1080p. As the bluray is already in 1080p, I assume whether the upconversion being on or off on the Pioneer Elite is mute point for accurate calibration?

Thanks!

I have the WOW disc too but haven't popped it in yet. I have both the "fat" original 60GB ps3 as well as the newest model ps3 which I actually enjoy better. Cons are lack of inputs and no backwards compatibility but it's 2014 I'm sure there plenty of extensions or input components you can buy to add to it. BC is another story.

Anyway was wondering how you liked the disc compared to Dnice post break in settings? I always enjoyed DNICES on my KURO but the VT60 isn't as punchy as the KURO (not saying it lacks any either) but it seemed his setting worked best on my KURO. The vt60 PQ can use a little more punch to it but overall I enjoy his settings.

From my understanding the ZT60 is a little dimmer but provides better blacks and has identical picture quality to the VT60 with the VT going a little brighter. So the main difference isn't in PQ differences it's a environment difference. VT=moderate to no light and tHE ZT=bright rooms and best with no lights. That's the only difference I can see through all my readings and research besides the panel.
post #10536 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Keep in mind, everyone, that differences in picture quality can vary greatly from panel to panel. Simply imputing someone else's settings could do more harm than good.

If you're not satisfied with the default picture modes then picking up a good setup disc with test patterns is a worthwhile place to start. Digital Video Essentials is a good one and comes with color filters, the Disney Wow disc is a popular choice and, of course, there is the AVS 709 disc you can download for free right here on this site! Beyond that, hiring a trustworthy pro calibrator is your best choice.

Sorry, but eye-balling a whole bunch of settings found on the internet seems like a scattershot way to setup a tv.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #10537 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know if the AR filter in the VT60 doesn't limit viewing brightness when looking up at the TV like the Samsung F8500? My soon to be purchased TV will be mounted on a tilting mount above the fireplace about 7 feet up but I doubt the mount movement will get the tv perfectly parallel to a human viewer sitting on the couch. I am I correct in assuming the ZT series would act the same, too?
post #10538 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

I just made the call to return this set...it is way too dim for me...especially in low light scenes where it seems dull and washed out in day or night viewing conditions (watching sports highlights now and court is dim...ice is dim)...it seems things need to have been filmed perfectly and the feed itself has to be perfect for this TV to shine and I would have to be in a cave too...I want more of an all purpose set that does well in most scenarios.

Congrats on making the big decision. I am envious because I still haven't been able to make mine. Keep us posted on what TV you end up with....I'm interested to know what you decide to do.
post #10539 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 12:09 PM

When setting the Gamut do you keep it at normal or REC 709
post #10540 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Keep in mind, everyone, that differences in picture quality can vary greatly from panel to panel. Simply imputing someone else's settings could do more harm than good.

If you're not satisfied with the default picture modes then picking up a good setup disc with test patterns is a worthwhile place to start. Digital Video Essentials is a good one and comes with color filters, the Disney Wow disc is a popular choice and, of course, there is the AVS 709 disc you can download for free right here on this site! Beyond that, hiring a trustworthy pro calibrator is your best choice.

Sorry, but eye-balling a whole bunch of settings found on the internet seems like a scattershot way to setup a tv.

I was just talking PQ difference between the VT and ZT which isn't huge enough to justify price unless you have a very bright room ten the ZT would be better but in dark settings they are identical from various reviews read mentioning the only difference being bright room performance
post #10541 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
^Better contrast ratio in even dimmer rooms, though, likely due to aforementioned filter and possibly the single glass design/bonding process. In fact, this might be the difference that puts it on par with my former 111FD in a side-by-side (and may explain why you feel the VT60 is lacking slightly in depth in comparison to your 5020FD).
post #10542 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Congrats on making the big decision. I am envious because I still haven't been able to make mine. Keep us posted on what TV you end up with....I'm interested to know what you decide to do.
Congrats? More like sorry to hear that. Lol

I am curious to what you will be getting. I think any 2013 edge lit LED is going to be a huge downgrade all around. Hopefully you have chosen the Samsung F8500 or to wait for a 2014 FALD LED.
post #10543 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Is there any easier way to change to different picture mode? Right now, I need to go into Menu, select Picture, and if I am lucky, I am in the first row and then select the different mode (if I happened to be making changes to other settting, then I have to scroll back to the first row).
Any user out there that are using Harmony or Irule or have any method so I can say press a button or send a command to get to a bright setting and another command to get to a dim-room setting (like THX Cinema or my professional1)? I often find that a bright setting is really too bright when I am watching movie at night, so I want to switch between at least 2 setting easily. Thanks in advance.
post #10544 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 02:05 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Is there any easier way to change to different picture mode? Right now, I need to go into Menu, select Picture, and if I am lucky, I am in the first row and then select the different mode (if I happened to be making changes to other settting, then I have to scroll back to the first row).
Any user out there that are using Harmony or Irule or have any method so I can say press a button or send a command to get to a bright setting and another command to get to a dim-room setting (like THX Cinema or my professional1)? I often find that a bright setting is really too bright when I am watching movie at night, so I want to switch between at least 2 setting easily. Thanks in advance.

You could just trade with Greg. You may never have to worry about finding the 'dim' button ever again.
post #10545 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 02:15 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Congrats? More like sorry to hear that. Lol

I am curious to what you will be getting. I think any 2013 edge lit LED is going to be a huge downgrade all around. Hopefully you have chosen the Samsung F8500 or to wait for a 2014 FALD LED.

Yeah, I'm sorry mainly because I have to start my research all over again...lol...but I have learned a lot...I hadn't really bought a high end set for 9 years and I thought this would be it and I'd be done...anyways I always learn more from my 'failures'.

Oh well.

I'm not a super videophile...I don't watch many movies mostly sports...and I don't have a dark cinema room...I just need a decent set that handles light, dark, etc...and I still do have a great 9 year old bright Pioneer plasma that I love to fall back on.

Flame away but I'm initially going to look at the 2013 Vizio M Series, M651d-A2R.

eek.gif
post #10546 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 02:19 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

Maybe you misunderstood.
I may have misinterpreted your posts, and I'm still not sure I made my point.

I'm concerned about D-Nice's settings. There are actually two sets of settings -- one for use with the slides, and one for use with normal programming after completion of the slide procedure. As long as you never use his slide settings when you are watching normal programming you will be fine. I didn't intend to imply that you need to have a professional calibration, only that it's best to wait a while (at least 300 hours of normal use) before anyone pays for a professional calibration on a 2013 Panasonic plasma display.
post #10547 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

I'm planning on purchasing some audio equipment for the VT60 (DVR, surround system, etc). My fear is the audio sync issues which are causing a lag in audio and was wondering for those who use something besides the TVs speakers if you experience things such as lip sync and audio lags. (Have only seen a few posts about this so I'm guessing and hoping it's only affecting certain AV equipment)

Everything is great with the TVs speakers no lag what so ever in any mode or motion setting. But it seems like this issue happens once you use something else externally besides the speakers so was seeing if those with these types of set ups can comment and if it is an issue is it fixable?

I was able to partially correct it with the audio sync setting in the AVR. Most have this setting but make sure before you purchase one. The only source I was unable to consistently correct for was NetFlix and I've never found out why....

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #10548 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 02:58 PM

Liked: 11
How long do you wait before putting in settings?

I've read about the AVF disc and the Disney WOW. Does anyone use these as their preferred picture modes?
post #10549 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 02:59 PM

Hi all, new to the vt60 owners club, purchased the tv from magnolia a few days before Christmas. So far, couldn't be happier. Jaw dropping picture and really enjoying the 3d experience. Just leaving it in THX cinema for now and may try some of the custom settings to get another perspective. Matched to my marantz 6005 and my def techs, we are really enjoying our HT.

Curious to know everybody's first tweak after getting the set?
post #10550 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i have the same question. i use a harmony 880 remote. it would be great to have direct buttons to change the picture mode without going into the menu. ideas anyone?
post #10551 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by agorena123 View Post

Hi all, new to the vt60 owners club, purchased the tv from magnolia a few days before Christmas. So far, couldn't be happier. Jaw dropping picture and really enjoying the 3d experience. Just leaving it in THX cinema for now and may try some of the custom settings to get another perspective. Matched to my marantz 6005 and my def techs, we are really enjoying our HT.

Curious to know everybody's first tweak after getting the set?

Do a black and white level basic calibration then after around 500 hours I will get a proper calibration done.
post #10552 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

You could just trade with Greg. You may never have to worry about finding the 'dim' button ever again.
Man I'd like to think my set is defective based on how dim it is even in a dark room with THX Cinema or any of the other settings I tried. Brighter scenes looked great but low light were just bad. ???
post #10553 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:

Yeah, I'm sorry mainly because I have to start my research all over again...lol...but I have learned a lot...I hadn't really bought a high end set for 9 years and I thought this would be it and I'd be done...anyways I always learn more from my 'failures'.

Oh well.

I'm not a super videophile...I don't watch many movies mostly sports...and I don't have a dark cinema room...I just need a decent set that handles light, dark, etc...and I still do have a great 9 year old bright Pioneer plasma that I love to fall back on.

Flame away but I'm initially going to look at the 2013 Vizio M Series, M651d-A2R.

eek.gif

No flames, it's the best thing you can do if you're not happy with the display. I have said it before, a lot of people are jumping on this year's plasmas due to the industry moving away from the tech and it has resulted in some folks not being happy mostly due to the issue you had with brightness. My only flame would be to encourage you to wait until the new Vizios come out which shouldn't be long given a few lines are up on their website. If they are half as good as their specs then they will be a much better buy then the M, plus 4k at 65 or 80 inches might actually be noticeable from a distance greater than a few feet smile.gif Good luck.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku/Fire Sticks
post #10554 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have a list of video formats the VT will play via the USB port, Apparently it will not play AVI files and would have to convert to ?? Cant seem to find what are compatible formats?
post #10555 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Man I'd like to think my set is defective based on how dim it is even in a dark room with THX Cinema or any of the other settings I tried. Brighter scenes looked great but low light were just bad. ???

It's too bad that the brightness is an issue for you, especially when the VT excels in so many areas. Unfortunately there are so many variables as why that is the case. It may be, as I think you have stated, that you are so used to the brightness of your previous plasma.

Have you been able to go to a B&M that carries the VT and look at them to see if it is possibly your display? Maybe yours is dimmer than most. I can't recall if you have been able to do any brightness readings with instruments. I know a few people who had their VT60 replaced, for whatever reason, commented that the PQ of the replacement was better, e.g. more pop, better colors, sharper, or brighter. Maybe it's true or maybe just a placebo affect.

Whatever decision you make I hope it brings you piece of mind and a display that you can thoroughly enjoy. smile.gif
post #10556 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 06:15 PM

I've had a the 65vt60 for a week now. About 46 hours on it. This is the third Plasma I've owned. Panasonic Th-50PX75U, Samsung PNC63C7000 and now the VT. Tried CNET settings, THX and Sound and Vision. I prefer the Sound and Vision so far.
First Impressions:
1. Plenty of brightness. Not an issue.
2. Sharpness should be set to 0 IMO. I don't have any test patterns but I don't feel the picture is soft at 0. It seems to have artifacts at 50.
3. Fans are too loud but it doesn't bother me. You can't hear them with the sound up. I own projectors too and they are much louder.
4. I think this set does have more reflections than the Samsung PNC63C7000. I just close the blinds in the day.
5. This is by far the best TV I've ever seen. Blu-Rays are stunning. I watched the Suns and Knicks at the Garden last night and I couldn't be happier. Blacks and shadow detail are the best I've seen. Almost a 3-D effect but your not watching 3-D.

I didn't need this TV as my Samsung is still working fine (no pink banding to speak of) but I bought an LCD once and I am petrified that I may someday be stuck having to buy one so I jumped on the Amazon deal with 24 months no interest and boy am I glad I did.

Just two questions:

1. Is there an easy way to just get the D-Nice settings?
2. How to you set up ARC?

Thanks for reading.
post #10557 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

No flames, it's the best thing you can do if you're not happy with the display. I have said it before, a lot of people are jumping on this year's plasmas due to the industry moving away from the tech and it has resulted in some folks not being happy mostly due to the issue you had with brightness. My only flame would be to encourage you to wait until the new Vizios come out which shouldn't be long given a few lines are up on their website. If they are half as good as their specs then they will be a much better buy then the M, plus 4k at 65 or 80 inches might actually be noticeable from a distance greater than a few feet smile.gif Good luck.

Thanks man.

Yeah, I think its partly my ultra bright Pioneer and also maybe I got a bit of a dud VT60...it was the last one left in the area but a July 2013 build which seemed a bit odd to me...it looked like it was NIB but who knows?

Thanks for the thoughts on the new Vizios!
post #10558 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

It's too bad that the brightness is an issue for you, especially when the VT excels in so many areas. Unfortunately there are so many variables as why that is the case. It may be, as I think you have stated, that you are so used to the brightness of your previous plasma.

Have you been able to go to a B&M that carries the VT and look at them to see if it is possibly your display? Maybe yours is dimmer than most. I can't recall if you have been able to do any brightness readings with instruments. I know a few people who had their VT60 replaced, for whatever reason, commented that the PQ of the replacement was better, e.g. more pop, better colors, sharper, or brighter. Maybe it's true or maybe just a placebo affect.

Whatever decision you make I hope it brings you piece of mind and a display that you can thoroughly enjoy. smile.gif

Thanks! See my post above...have not been able to see another VT because nobody had one...I don't have any instruments unfortunately other than my eyes...which as I noted elsewhere do need more light since I hit my 40s...

You hit it on the head...I never felt for an instant that this set had real POP!
post #10559 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm sorry to ask this but I have been searching and downloading xml files, etc, to try and find D-Nice's settings for the VT60 with no luck. Can someone please direct me to his recommended settings after running the break in slides. I simply just want to copy and paste them into a word document to follow. I'm sure they are easily found somewhere, I just want to be sure I am using the latest/correct ones. Thanks in advance and sorry again to seem lazy, taking care of a baby while trying to get all the preliminary items ready for the new tv is too much.....

With my gt30, I used the PS3 3D glasses which I liked better. Are there a recommended set other than the oem ones that come with the set to buy? Thanks!
post #10560 of 16627 Old 01-14-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

I'm sorry to ask this but I have been searching and downloading xml files, etc, to try and find D-Nice's settings for the VT60 with no luck. Can someone please direct me to his recommended settings after running the break in slides. I simply just want to copy and paste them into a word document to follow. I'm sure they are easily found somewhere, I just want to be sure I am using the latest/correct ones. Thanks in advance and sorry again to seem lazy, taking care of a baby while trying to get all the preliminary items ready for the new tv is too much.....

They're not that easily imputed manually...you have to go into the dark depths of gamma, grey scale, luminance, saturation and hue.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1503532/dnice-slide-break-in-new-tv-inspection-hours

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page