Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 355 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10621 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

Maybe you would like the Samsung 8500? You wont have to worry about too dim with that set.

I'm headed out to look in a couple hours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 AM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I don't know about THX Cinema though. The blacks are grey and everything seems way off as well. THX Bright Room looks very good.

Sent from my Nokia 808

I found this to be very accurate and was the issue I was having last night watching anything in cinema or THX mode. I thought the swap Amazon gave me was a defective set for defective black levels for a moment. I've been running slides so I haven't mesas around with much. The slides are ran at DNICES recommendations but when watching a blu ray I didn't mess with adjusting custom mode so I popped it between cinema and THX Cinema. I found that Cinema is very warm and yellow, smooth but not deep IMO. Showing greyed blacks and a hazey look. I found THX to be good with blu ray content (though terminator did not look great it just looked very washed out but I think that's inherent to the blu ray it self.) So I was fed up and popped in DNICES custom post settings and it looked much better. I really enjoy custom but would like to get every input calibrated to its best standards. I enjoy each input on its own, but custom is my favorite. THX modes seem to "compress" the picture and when I put it back to custom it expands back out, not a whole lot but you can see it compress then Enlarge upon switching inputs.

On a different note, when playing Netflix last night I hit the select button on my ps3 to see where the scaling was at as far it sometimes being stuck at 480p or 720p. I can never get a consistent buffering with netflix. But when I hit the select button on the ps3 controller and the info comes up in the left corner you can see a rainbow look in the left hand corner. Like the text is illuminating the top left corner of the screen causing a rainbow affect. Not present when the info is not there. I do not think this is the TV because it's not present on any other source and also netflix quality is not consistent and sometimes when watching a show you can see the blocks of color and blacks like your watching a bad you tube video. Not a big fan of their buffering or wifi system.

I always pop in the dark knight cuz I love the first opening scene with the bank robbery. But as the camera is zooming into the window of the building before it shatters and right before you see the building in the back left dissapear, I got this strange wave motion that happened to the building in the background, I think it was the processing cuz it was on 60hz or it's just a mis hap of the blu ray I've never noticed before since I now have a massive 65". Not a great explanation but for anyone who knows that scene it starts off with the camera over the top of a building before it gets to wear the robber shatters the glass to shoot the wire across to the other building. There is a badge building to the left and as the camera get closer to the main building it's focused on you can see the building in the back to like a wavey movement (picture the helicopter scene in the matrix wen it crashes and the building looks like a wave). But it was just that one side and in guessing its a motion thing or inherent to the blu ray. Not a deal breaker since I didn't notice on anything else. I was nervous becasue of te Netflix glow rainbow that happened when I popped up the info, so I thought the top left corner was faulty but found that to be an unreasonable explanation cuz then everything in that spot would be wavey and weird.
post #10623 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 AM

Liked: 10
They are the worst.I cannot say enough bad things about them.

Mark
post #10624 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

If your not keeping this tv and sending it back and have tried everything why stay here complaining about it. I would put more time into finding what you do like . Most people stay here trying to help others get the most out of it. If you don't like the tv no one's going to change your mind or be able help you get anything more out of it. Yes the f8500 may be brighter but that stand is f ugly so make sure you can deal with that. Hope you find the tv that's right for you that's really all that matters
Scott Oakley likes this.
post #10625 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post

I am in northern NJ and it is expected to be about 35-40 degrees. I would like to power it on to make sure it is not DOA but can wait if it is better to do so. With those temps in mind, should I do a quick power on or wait?

Mine was delivered last Wednesday in North Jersey and it was 15 out. I waited 2 hours before turning it on so I didn't damage the screen or internal components. It was hard not too though.

My meager set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10626 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Most calibrators (pro or DIY using equipment) are going to set this display and others including the 8500 at a similar light output because that additional brightness isn't required and is sometimes detrimental to achieving a reference picture. I think everyone has been respectful of your opinion regarding this set, but you've just made a blanket statement that is incorrect. There is nothing dim about the VT60 or ZT60, next time your in Birmingham stop by and I will demonstrate what a well calibrated VT60 can look like - plenty of pop, 3D like image, clear/sharp and rich correct looking colors. Netflix streaming on my LEDs (which are in the bedroom and another room in our house) looks like crap depending on what the Netflix gods have decided to bless me with in regards to bandwidth/quality/server - whether its Riddick or Ice Age. The Netflix sources feeding my VT and Sony XBR are even hard wired into my router and I pay Charter a nice fee every month for their highest speed connection.

Remember I have a Pioneer 5020 in my house, so the Pioneer is much brighter comment I can respectfully disagree with. The difference may be that mine have been calibrated and I don't watch any display I own in Vivid or set up in a similar way smile.gif I will post a picture of the left side of the room my VT resides in the next sunny day we have - maybe this weekend - and you will see that if I can enjoy my picture during peak sun then it can't be too dim.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just don't like it when someone makes what seems like a blanket statement. If that wasn't the intent my apologies. I respect that some find this display and other plasmas too dim, but that is the exception based on a lot of pro reviews and for a vast majority of us who have bought one, owned it for a few months and set it up correctly. Good luck with your next display.
The only point I'd raise is he has a Pioneer from 2003/4 when power requirements weren't quite as restricted worldwide as they are now. I would not be surprised if this is brighter than a panel from even 5 years ago. I do know that the ZT60 appeared slightly dimmer than the 111FD I have when compared side-by-side, but it's hard to make any definitive statements in relation to an early Pioneer model that I have not owned.
post #10627 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Hope you get better delivery guys then I did one didn't speak English at all the other I think was from I think he said Somalia and spoke very broken english. Mine sucked they didn't want to take top of box off to even check the screen I did demand that which I got but they weren't happy. Got my carpet dirty they were more worried about commenting on all the nice stuff we had to bad for them before they arrived I had gotten out $40 to tip them which they got none of. That night I made sure the 45 had one in the chamber. Called Amazon they made it right with a $100 credit.

I thought it was a 9mm?
post #10628 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The whole point of using D-Nice's procedure is to age a new, unused panel, fast and evenly. D-Nice is maximizing several settings like contrast (at 100) and brightness to achieve that purpose. That's why those same setting should never be used with normal programming. The risk of image retention would be extremely high for anyone doing that.

Makes sense.
post #10629 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:15 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post

I am in northern NJ and it is expected to be about 35-40 degrees. I would like to power it on to make sure it is not DOA but can wait if it is better to do so. With those temps in mind, should I do a quick power on or wait?
I powered mine on after being delivered in similar temps. I thought it was better to do this than to let the drivers leave and then find out that it doesn't power on if there's another defect.
post #10630 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:23 AM

Liked: 22
Amazon just hit 100 units left in stock of the 65vt60, glad I got mine they are going fast!
post #10631 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

I thought it was a 9mm?

All my pistol have one in the chamber be it 44,45,9,380 even the 22. Lol
post #10632 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

Amazon just hit 100 units left in stock of the 65vt60, glad I got mine they are going fast!

I bought mine from BestBuy in late October, it was a September build. They price matched Amazon.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
post #10633 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:

You will love the picture...but probably won't like the stand....or the price! It might be worth it though. Good luck!
post #10634 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:

Thanks.

Yeah, I've tried that and the more brightness added helps but also appears to wash things out a bit.

Well then I guess I just don't appreciate or like what dark scenes are 'supposed' to look like...I guess that is why there are a gazillion TVs out there for all the different types of pics people like...cool.gif
I look at it this way. In real life, if you were in a dark alley you would not be able to see everything in that alley as light as day. So of course a lot of the picture will be dark but this is where shadow detail comes in. On a good TV you will see all the little subtile things that one would probably see in that situation where another TV might make everything look brighter but everything will just get crushed and look like one big blob instead of seeing for example a little a garbage pail really dark in the background and even being up to pick up slight risges in it. Another TV might just show that garbage pail clearer just to brighten it up but remove all the fine detail that might actually be found on that garbage. Make sense?

Take a dark scene and throw your TV in vivid mode. Then throw it in one of the modes with the custom settings. This is when you will really see the shadow detail and how everything can be made brighter but you actual lose shadows within the picture.

I would like to see what you are seeing though. Do you have Netflix? If you do can you let me know a movie you have watched that looks bad in dark scenes and the time that scene takes place in the movie. I wan't to really try and compare apples to apples here and no better way then trying exactly what you are watching.

And yes, the F8500 is a great set as well but I can't imagine spending another $1,000 more then what I paid for the VT60 just to get some brightness out of it which I would most likely turn down anyway for a realistic picture. For sports it would not be as important to be accurate and can understand just wanting something bright. I also wouldn't worry about how ugly people say the stand is (yellowcanary), the picture on the TV should be the most important part of the decision.
post #10635 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I also wouldn't worry about how ugly people say the stand is (yellowcanary).
If the stand doesn't bother you no big deal but you'll still be seeing it all the time and it's still ugly. But everyone has their own taste just like in brightness.
post #10636 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:41 AM

Has anyone else experienced the VT60 picture brightness and quality getting brighter over time? Is there any logical technical reason for this to happen?

Also, you guys talking about content differing has really got me comparing the content that I'm watching from my VT60 to my VT25 (in separate rooms). What I'm finding is, is that good picture dimness is due to content really not the TV. I watch my basketball team play at home (court) the other day, and the screen was very dim. I watched a game last night on ESPN and the game was very bright… On both TVs. Like you said, it's the content, not the TV. there is definitely some kind of difference in the processing or the way the picture is rendered on the screen between the two sets. The picture definitely excels on the VT60 and since Chad B has noted that he could brighten up the set just a little bit (if needed), I'm tending now toward keeping the VT60. So don't think that your help this falling on deaf ears.
post #10637 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

THX modes seem to "compress" the picture and when I put it back to custom it expands back out, not a whole lot but you can see it compress then Enlarge upon switching inputs.

The THX modes default to a no overscan full screen setting and display the correct aspect ratio. When you switch to the other modes and the picture "expands", the overscan setting and /or screen aspect ratio changes. The "expanded" image is actually the distorted one.
post #10638 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the stand doesn't bother you no big deal but you'll still be seeing it all the time and it's still ugly. But everyone has their own taste just like in brightness.
Haha!

Well if you watch in a dark room you won't see the stand, but then you probably wouldn't be in this predicament anyway. Lol

You can always mount the TV, can't you?
post #10639 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 11:01 AM

Liked: 12
I have a 65VT60 on the way from Amazon, delivery scheduled for Monday. Watching Amazon's remaining stock disappearing is seriously stressing me out. I'm afraid mine will have a problem requiring an exchange and there won't be any left. Guess I need to be more positive. It doesn't seem there are many common defects with these sets so I probably shouldn't worry. This is my third large plasma delivered from Amazon and the first two were fine with no issues. I bought a 58" Samsung plasma in 2010 and a 65" ST50 in 2012.

I really want this TV before it's gone, I didn't get the wife's approval to buy it until last Saturday so I almost missed out.
post #10640 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjb View Post

The THX modes default to a no overscan full screen setting and display the correct aspect ratio. When you switch to the other modes and the picture "expands", the overscan setting and /or screen aspect ratio changes. The "expanded" image is actually the distorted one.

About this: can someone expand (see what I did there?) on the difference between "full" and "just" aspect ratios. What is the purpose for the two diff settings?

I just took my VT60 out of the box and started watching it. Is that ok?
post #10641 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM

Liked: 16
Took delivery today (TC-P65VT60) from Amazon Via CEVA... The two delivery men offered to unbox and set it up on the stand. Set is perfect with August build.. no fan noise.
Initial impressions with "Batman Begins" blu-ray is very promising. I was worried it would not meet my expectations as I have a Pioneer Elite 151D in my bedroom. I am spoiled.

Brightness on THX Cinema was acceptable out of box. Very happy but sad this will be the end of Panasonic Plasmas.

This thread can make you crazy and paranoid... I'm going to enjoy my new toy without worrying about the 4 billion settings that are possible, the interactions of my AV receiver, artifacts which are not there, slides to perfectly age my phosphorus, stray reflections, buzzing, fan noise, and finally burnt-in logos.

You can actually turn it on and watch it!
fcb, jeffpaul and kma100 like this.
post #10642 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingFat View Post

Took delivery today (TC-P65VT60) from Amazon Via CEVA... The two delivery men offered to unbox and set it up on the stand. Set is perfect with August build.. no fan noise.
Initial impressions with "Batman Begins" blu-ray is very promising. I was worried it would not meet my expectations as I have a Pioneer Elite 151D in my bedroom. I am spoiled.

Brightness on THX Cinema was acceptable out of box. Very happy but sad this will be the end of Panasonic Plasmas.

This thread can make you crazy and paranoid... I'm going to enjoy my new toy without worrying about the 4 billion settings that are possible, the interactions of my AV receiver, artifacts which are not there, slides to perfectly age my phosphorus, stray reflections, buzzing, fan noise, and finally burnt-in logos.

You can actually turn it on and watch it!
Congrats! I personally wouldn't watch it for as least another 2 weeks. You should have to suffer a long drawn out period first before actually using the TV for its intended purpose.
post #10643 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 PM

Got my 60" VT60 somewhat calibrated with the WOW: World of Wonder Blu-Ray disc. I know a pro calibration is best but I don't have that kind of money right now. A lot of posts I've read online have said to set gamma to 2.4 for the 60"-65" models. But the WOW test made it seem like 2.2 was the best match for my set.

Any advice? What do most of you set yours to?

Also for blu-ray content - 60hz or 96hz? Does one give better PQ?

post #10644 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 12:09 PM

Liked: 11

Got my VT60 last December 31st and its the best TV I've ever had hands down. And although the THX and THX Cinema picture presets are very nice, I decided to calibrated it using the AVS HD 709 disk. I was wondering how it turned out for everybody who used the calibration disk? Calibrating the Black Levels were easy for me however I just found it "odd" that I had to crank out my contrast to max level (100) and didnt even hit the desired white level (was 2 levels above). Anybody had the same "problem"?

Dattebayo!
post #10645 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apannyvt60 View Post

Got my VT60 last December 31st and its the best TV I've ever had hands down. And although the THX and THX Cinema picture presets are very nice, I decided to calibrated it using the AVS HD 709 disk. I was wondering how it turned out for everybody who used the calibration disk? Calibrating the Black Levels were easy for me however I just found it "odd" that I had to crank out my contrast to max level (100) and didnt even hit the desired white level (was 2 levels above). Anybody had the same "problem"?

I just posted about this in another thread. I calibrated my TV using the Disney WOW: World of Wonder Blu-Ray and setting brightness was easy. I achieved the correct black level. Setting contrast was impossible. Once I hit "50" the image on the screen remained unchanged. 50 looked exactly like 60, or 70, or 80... or 100! I went all the way up to 100 and it would not get "brighter" or "whiter" like it was supposed to.

So I have no idea what the optimal contrast setting is for my 60" VT60. :(

Someone mentioned something called ABL but I don't know much about it and am stuck.

post #10646 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 427
photogpab, do not worry. Without getting into the technical side of the discussion or recommending a real calibration, contrast is one of the few settings that varies from person to person based on preference.

The WOW disc is useless on modern plasmas for contrast. An easy way to eyeball it is to watch a bluray with black bars on top and bottom (2.4/2.35:1) and then find a scene that has a lot of dark and bright spots. Then just adjust the contrast untill you get the 'brightness' you want from the bright spots in that scene.
eric3316 likes this.
post #10647 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

photogpab, do not worry. Without getting into the technical side of the discussion or recommending a real calibration, contrast is one of the few settings that varies from person to person based on preference.

The WOW disc is useless on modern plasmas for contrast. An easy way to eyeball it is to watch a bluray with black bars on top and bottom (2.4/2.35:1) and then find a scene that has a lot of dark and bright spots. Then just adjust the contrast untill you get the 'brightness' you want from the bright spots in that scene.

gotcha. I wish I had known the WOW Disc was useless before I bought it. Haha! Is it only useless when calibrating Contrast? Because after calibrating my TV with the disc i absolutely noticed an improvement in PQ - particularly colors. I had no idea that the changes to "Color" and "Tint" could make such a noticeable difference.

And I had my brightness turned up too high.

What do most people set contrast to? There must be a general consensus on whats best? 60? 70? higher?

Another issue I had was weather to use "Low", "Mid" or "High" panel brightness. My wife liked "High" the best because it gave a more contrasty vivid-like appearance, but i thought it looked a bit rough on peoples faces.

But then sometimes Mid looked a bit too dull. I know this TV is hailed as reference quality so I just want to get it set to a place where it knocks my socks off. :)

appreciate the help!

post #10648 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 427
I also wish I hadn't bought that over priced coaster biggrin.gif

Panel Mid is the preferred setting - but you know if you are watching in the day with tons of light bouncing off the screen, by all means do what you can wink.gif

I'd see if you could use the Dnice settings (and then afterwards adjust the contrast upwards to your taste).

If you want a punchy picture when light is coming through windows and hitting the screen, there's not much you can do except to close the drapes with these sets.
post #10649 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
The Disney WOW disc has at least one useful feature for these panels and for which it has proven a worthwhile investment in my case, and that is the Pixel Flipper....seems to be the best way to diminish ornery IR.
Donat76 likes this.
post #10650 of 15128 Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I have the VT60 and didn't like the stand either, at first. Nor did I like the cheap silver plastic border around the edge. But its amazing how fast you can get used to certain things when other things like realistic PQ are factored in. Now, I don't even notice the two things that almost caused me to return the set....True story.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page