Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 358 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10711 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi

Really great thread. I have been going through a lot of it, and I can see that I am not the only one who has some difficulties with this really great TV... :) However I haven't found a solution to my problem, and hope that someone can help me.

I own a Panasonic VT60 and a Yamaha RX-V673 amplifier. I have connected the VT60 to the amp via the HDMI 2 port. I have enabled ARC on the amp, but I cant figure out how to enable it on the VT60?

When I turn off my tv, the amp also turns off. This tells me that there is a connection. However I do not get any sound through.

When I go to my VIERA Link Control and se the VIERA Link-menu I only see one option: "VIERA Link Control" and "other". When I choose "other" it says something like "Starting - please wait" And then no more happens... At some point I got a message about that I should check my connection, but I can get a picture from my amp to the tv, so I cant see that there should be any problem there.

My SPDIF-selection is set to Auto...

Any ideas what to do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

I've been running these D-nice slides for a couple of days now, and I'm concerned about some very subtle screen uniformity "problems" that I see. I see lines and patterns, but it's very, very faint. When I first started running slides, it looked perfect, but I suppose it's possible my eyes are focusing on things I didn't see before. I only noticed it on light grey and "white" slides, but now that I took pictures, I can really see it on the blue background. When looking at the pictures full size, I can see the edges are darker than the center of the screen. I also see a dark patch that goes across the center of the screen. Again, it's very faint. Is it normal to patterns like this, and does screen uniformity even out over time?

For what it's worth, my 65VT60 is exactly the same. I wouldn't worry about it.
post #10713 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynerd View Post

Tell me more about this magical player. Can you point me to more info?

Just Google Oppo-103 tons of great reviews
post #10714 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

That temperature range is probably OK if you do what Cleveland Plasma suggested. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to wait very long after the set came into your home to do it. The idea is that there won't be condensation right after you bring the set inside.

If the delivery company has instructions about not turning on the power under some temperature, I would follow their instructions and write a comment about it on all the copies of the delivery papers before they have you sign.
Below was from an email I had received from Pilot before they delivered my TV if anyone is interested in what they are actually required and not required to do.

Your TV delivery will be completed by a representative of Pilot Freight Services. Here is what the service entails:
1. The representative will deliver your TV into whichever room in your home is suitable for testing the TV.
2. They will remove the TV from its packaging.
3. They will test the TV for power and blue screen. Please note: When the outside temperature is below 50 degrees, the power check cannot be performed as the unit must be plugged in only when it comes up to room temperature.

Pilot Freight Services is not authorized to perform the following services:
1. Placement of the TV on an existing stand, table or entertainment center;
2. Assembly of the base of the TV;
3. Hooking the TV up to your cable box for you;
4. Mounting the TV or assemble any wall unit or stand;
5. Moving furniture to gain access to the power outlet. The Pilot representative must have clear access to the power outlet to check if the TV powers up properly.

While the Pilot representative is placing your TV in the designated area, this would be a good time to install the batteries in the remote control so you can verify that the remote control is operable. The Pilot representative is not responsible for the set-up of the remote control.

We recommend keeping the box in case you need to return the TV. However, the Pilot Freight Services representative will take the packaging away with them if you ask them to.

You should not accept delivery of the TV if it does not have power or blue screen; if the remote control is inoperable; or if you see any physical damage to the TV of any kind.
post #10715 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynerd View Post

Where can I find his schedule?

Sent you a PM Maynerd!

I follow the ISF Calibration thread and he's on there all the time and you can PM him.

Calibration Forum
post #10716 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

Just Google Oppo-103 tons of great reviews

I want one too...the Oppo 103D.
post #10717 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

Same here.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #10718 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Below was from an email I had received from Pilot before they delivered my TV if anyone is interested in what they are actually required and not required to do.

Your TV delivery will be completed by a representative of Pilot Freight Services. Here is what the service entails:
1. The representative will deliver your TV into whichever room in your home is suitable for testing the TV.
2. They will remove the TV from its packaging.
3. They will test the TV for power and blue screen. Please note: When the outside temperature is below 50 degrees, the power check cannot be performed as the unit must be plugged in only when it comes up to room temperature.

Pilot Freight Services is not authorized to perform the following services:
1. Placement of the TV on an existing stand, table or entertainment center;
2. Assembly of the base of the TV;
3. Hooking the TV up to your cable box for you;
4. Mounting the TV or assemble any wall unit or stand;
5. Moving furniture to gain access to the power outlet. The Pilot representative must have clear access to the power outlet to check if the TV powers up properly.

While the Pilot representative is placing your TV in the designated area, this would be a good time to install the batteries in the remote control so you can verify that the remote control is operable. The Pilot representative is not responsible for the set-up of the remote control.

We recommend keeping the box in case you need to return the TV. However, the Pilot Freight Services representative will take the packaging away with them if you ask them to.

You should not accept delivery of the TV if it does not have power or blue screen; if the remote control is inoperable; or if you see any physical damage to the TV of any kind.

I wonder how they can "place the TV in the designated area" if they aren't supposed to "assemble the base of the TV?"

The guys who delivered my VT60 from BestBuy brought it in (ONE guy carried the box on his shoulder!), unpacked it, put the stand on it, plugged it in, connected AVR to HDMI 2 and tested cable TV. If I lived in a climate where all of that couldn't be done, I would definitely follow your suggestion about making a note of that on the shipping paperwork.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #10719 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

A few people on the ControlCAL forum have reported that their displays had ~120-150 hours logged prior to use. One of them was told by the dealer who sold him an October build 65ZT60 that Panasonic is now running their own "break-in" slides in factory prior to shipping.

This is news to me. I don't know if the info is legit, but I thought I'd pass it along. If it's true then those who intend on running D-Nice's slides and using his settings might have an issue.

That FUD comes up every year and hasn't been limited to just Panasonic but Pioneer back in the old days. If I remember correctly this came up a year or so with the previous year's displays and that insider on another forum laughed it off. Not an efficient way of manufacturing any product. The dealer in question probably just said what he thought would get the customer to buy the display - I am sure more than a few questions regarding break-in etc. come up from folks unfamiliar with the tech and a lot of crap comes out of sales staff in response. No one ever fudges the truth to sell something, especially high-end audio dealers. Yes those $500 power cords will make your system sound soooo much better smile.gif

DNice's settings aren't that sensitive that some extra hours or not are going to make that big of difference. As you know and we've discussed, using someone else's setting is not going to lead to a very good picture in most cases.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos coming soon and Dolby Surround isn't too shabby either.
post #10720 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 07:11 AM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I look at it this way. In real life, if you were in a dark alley you would not be able to see everything in that alley as light as day. So of course a lot of the picture will be dark but this is where shadow detail comes in. On a good TV you will see all the little subtile things that one would probably see in that situation where another TV might make everything look brighter but everything will just get crushed and look like one big blob instead of seeing for example a little a garbage pail really dark in the background and even being up to pick up slight risges in it. Another TV might just show that garbage pail clearer just to brighten it up but remove all the fine detail that might actually be found on that garbage. Make sense?

Take a dark scene and throw your TV in vivid mode. Then throw it in one of the modes with the custom settings. This is when you will really see the shadow detail and how everything can be made brighter but you actual lose shadows within the picture.

I would like to see what you are seeing though. Do you have Netflix? If you do can you let me know a movie you have watched that looks bad in dark scenes and the time that scene takes place in the movie. I wan't to really try and compare apples to apples here and no better way then trying exactly what you are watching.

And yes, the F8500 is a great set as well but I can't imagine spending another $1,000 more then what I paid for the VT60 just to get some brightness out of it which I would most likely turn down anyway for a realistic picture. For sports it would not be as important to be accurate and can understand just wanting something bright. I also wouldn't worry about how ugly people say the stand is (yellowcanary), the picture on the TV should be the most important part of the decision.

Floating blacks on the 8500 just like Panny had a few years ago I believe on the 20 series. You don't see floating blacks in an alley way wink.gif
post #10721 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:

A few people on the ControlCAL forum have reported that their displays had ~120-150 hours logged prior to use. One of them was told by the dealer who sold him an October build 65ZT60 that Panasonic is now running their own "break-in" slides in factory prior to shipping.

This is news to me. I don't know if the info is legit, but I thought I'd pass it along. If it's true then those who intend on running D-Nice's slides and using his settings might have an issue.

I have an October 2013 build and it had Zero hours on it. I checked recently and there 15 hours on it from me running slides nothing from the factory. I'm saying that's false. Why would they do this if they are out of the biz? And once taken out of the box they must sell it as OB. It would no longer be NIB.

Speaking of break in. When setting the color gamut (this has always confused me) Dnice has his setting as "normal" but there is no "normal" setting. There is only "naive" which I'm guessing is normal and "REC 709" and a few others. I've seen someone mention for his calibrations he uses REC 709 which seems more natural where as Naive seems to over saturate the colors making them have a glowing effect like torch mode on LCDs. So my best educated guess is that REC 709 is recommended for calibration but is "naive" if that means normal better for break in? I'm not talking for slides cuz that's all default settings I mean for playing a BD or HD feeds.
post #10722 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 AM

Liked: 11
My set from Amazon arrived Monday from Pilot. It is a March build with 0000 hours, and the delivery guy and I removed it from the box, assembled the stand and put it on my tv stand.. I declined to power it up at that time due to temps.
post #10723 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 AM

Wow...I thought Amazon would be shipping the newest build dates? Hope yours is ok with the fan noise.
post #10724 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 07:57 AM

Must be digging into stock that wasn't rotated. No biggie. I had a set from Pauls which was a May build bought in November and didn't really have any fan noise or buzz issues (just the normal noises for plasm). It's random IMO. Returned to Pauls do to screen defects and went with Amazon and got much newer build. I also believe that people with May-July builds may have some
Scratches on the left speaker and maybe some on the screen. QC must of been a little off at that time becasue most people I see report those issues like dirt or particles behind the screen which I had a July build with that issue, seem to have a may-July builds and some August builds. I received two October builds from Amazon with not a single
Flaw.
post #10725 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 08:20 AM

Liked: 22
Only 35 65vt60's left on amazon from 300+ earlier in the week. Please TV gods let mine be ok tomorrow when delivered in case I need a replacement.
post #10726 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 08:29 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

Only 35 65vt60's left on amazon from 300+ earlier in the week. Please TV gods let mine be ok tomorrow when delivered in case I need a replacement.
Exactly. Mine will be delivered tomorrow as well. Good luck.
post #10727 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Must be nice to get a super price and a boat load of stock wink.gif

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #10728 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary218 View Post

Wow...I thought Amazon would be shipping the newest build dates? Hope yours is ok with the fan noise.

I was surprised with te build date as well. I would say fan and screen are normal. No defects or problems that I can see.
post #10729 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM

that's good....enjoy your new tv!
post #10730 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary218 View Post

My set from Amazon, ordered a few weeks ago, was an October build. I can't see any signs that the foam fix for fan noise that Panasonic began to use has been applied in my set but from 9 feet away you can only hear the fans when there is no audio track or ambient background noise and even then its very light..
post #10731 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:

I can see slightly darker edges on the blue slide, but nothing I would consider abnormal. On the gray slide the same edges appear a purplish hue.

No panel is perfectly uniform, as you probably know. On the white and gray slides my 60VT60 has a faint pinkish hue along the right side that's about as wide as on yours. Also much. much smaller areas around the edges. I ran the slides for 100 hours so had the opportunity to view it multiple times. I'm at ~350 hours now and if things haven't improved, they are the same.

I never see the uniformity "issues" that I notice when running the slides during normal content. Normal content is the true measuring stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Same here.

Thanks for the the feedback. Right now there are only 32 65" VT60s in stock at Amazon. If I needed to exchange this, it would have to be right away. Even then, I might get another set with worse screen uniformity. I just hope my eyes aren't drawn to it like clouding on an LCD. None of the online reviews mentioned screen uniformity variances. It's an August build, by the way. There is foam around the fan, indicating the fan fix was applied, and it's silent, unless I press my ear up against the back.
post #10732 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:

Thanks for the the feedback. Right now there are only 32 65" VT60s in stock at Amazon. If I needed to exchange this, it would have to be right away. Even then, I might get another set with worse screen uniformity. I just hope my eyes aren't drawn to it like clouding on an LCD. None of the online reviews mentioned screen uniformity variances. It's an August build, by the way. There is foam around the fan, indicating the fan fix was applied, and it's silent, unless I press my ear up against the back.
It's not mentioned by reviews because you will never see it while watching content unlike clouding and flashlighting. No one reviews a TV watching colored slides.

Enjoy your TV and stop stressing. If you actually notice any of thisscreen uniformity issues while watching the TV, you will be the first one.
post #10733 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

I have an October 2013 build and it had Zero hours on it.

Me too...received my 60VT60 October 2013 build last Saturday from Best Buy and it had 00000 hours on it.
post #10734 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm looking at Amazon is now and it's showing only two new 55VT60s at US-Appliance and for pretty much the full retail price (unbelievable!). There are now only three used 60" sets, one from Amazon Warehouse Deals that sounds like it's a bit banged up and two new 65" sets directly from Amazon.
post #10735 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Can you turn off the speakers on the VT60 when using your home theatre receiver and speakers? I know you can put the volume down to zero and/or mute the sound on the TV, but I was wondering if I could actually turn off the speakers completely.
post #10736 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Can you turn off the speakers on the VT60 when using your home theatre receiver and speakers? I know you can put the volume down to zero and/or mute the sound on the TV, but I was wondering if I could actually turn off the speakers completely.

Yes, you need to go to Veira Link in the apps menu to make sure your avr is registered/communicates. If so, you can change the output from TV to Home Theater Speakers. Pg 143 in the eHelp book.
cpc likes this.
post #10737 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc351 View Post

Yup also a June build. I watched We are the Millers last night and the graininess is definitely WAY better on Blu-ray, but still a bit there. Not sure if I was just being sensitive to it when watching Avatar or what. So I guess it may be a content issue? But for the quality of the screen, either I really need to do a custom cal because Dnice and Larry's setting still give to much "greeness" or my set is screwy. Not sure what to think at this point.

My Post/problems from a couple weeks ago above...

So I returned the TV and got a new one from Amazon, just finished the slides. And oh man...it is SOOOOOOO much better. Now I get why everyone loves this TV. Before I didn't really get it and didn't think it was worth the money. But now I totally get it. I mean it is night and day. Even my wife noticed who doesn't really have an eye for these sorts of things.

I wound up with an October build date so no major fan noise and the buzzing is also a lot less than it was on the previous TV. Anyway, if any of you guys are having problems with June builds you may want to look into a return/exchange (if they are still available that is!)
post #10738 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc351 View Post

My Post/problems from a couple weeks ago above...

So I returned the TV and got a new one from Amazon, just finished the slides. And oh man...it is SOOOOOOO much better. Now I get why everyone loves this TV. Before I didn't really get it and didn't think it was worth the money. But now I totally get it. I mean it is night and day. Even my wife noticed who doesn't really have an eye for these sorts of things.

I wound up with an October build date so no major fan noise and the buzzing is also a lot less than it was on the previous TV. Anyway, if any of you guys are having problems with June builds you may want to look into a return/exchange (if they are still available that is!)

I bought a 55VT60 (June build) just before Christmas but decided to exchange it for the 60VT60. When the 60 arrived (October build), I noticed a much brighter and cleaner/crisp picture. I thought I was imagining things until I saw several other people were having problems with the June build.
post #10739 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 10:05 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Void View Post

Exactly. Mine will be delivered tomorrow as well. Good luck.

Same to you.

Anybody in the dc metro area have Pilot deliver thiers recently? Just wondering what to expect...
post #10740 of 15014 Old 01-16-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Om my setup, when the TV gets an incoming HDMI audio signal from my Denon AVR, the speakers automatically cut off and that's even with HDMI control off on the Denon and Viera Link off on the TV. It doesn't seem to matter which of the TV's HDMI inputs the Denon runs to or which of its own inputs is active. I have not been able to get a clear explanation of this or to figure out if it's a problem or a feature. I suspect the latter and I like it because it saves having to turn the TV's volume down but it would be nice to know what the mechanics of this is. If somebody knows please post.

As long as I'm asking. When I got the Vt60 I think that I was able to completely turn off the top menu bar when the set powered on, but now I'm not sure and can't seem to do that. See the pic below and, again, any ideas would be appreciated.

cpc likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page