Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 361 - AVS Forum
First ... 359  360  361 362  363  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
fkenyon's Avatar fkenyon 07:37 PM 01-16-2014
Any calibrators come through Utah?

greginaz1's Avatar greginaz1 08:16 PM 01-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by neumei626 View Post

Received my 65VT60 yesterday. Very pleased. Had a pio KRP-500m before so take this with a grain of salt. Here are some brief thoughts:

Single delivery guy, he was a giant, and slightly cocky. Didn't set up the stand, didn't take his shoes off, and slightly rough with the tv. I kept my $20. It would be amazing how much more cash these guys could make if they'd just be a bit more pleasant.

It exhibits none of the common problems people have had. When I first turned it on I thought, OH MY GOD, GREG WAS RIGHT! Then I turned it off standard mode. This thing is plenty bright, more than I need even. I'm thinking he got a defective set.

I'm using the S&V settings with the sharpness and color turned up a little. It does not have quite the punch or detail of my 50" pioneer, due in part I'm sure to the 15" size increase and my seating distance of 7' (this tv is 70% larger, and hence, the pixels are too.) The blacks are certainly not darker on the VT60, maybe just a hair lighter but I'm not concerned about it at all.

Played around with 3D and it's cool, no headaches or anything, but I'm not sure how much I'll use it yet. Avatar had great depth and immersion and it keeps drawing me back to 3D content, for now at least. Take advantage of channel 107 if you have directv and like nature/military documentaries. I'm having a hell of a time using the 3D in general because my yamaha V1800 won't pass it and I'm pushing 3D content from my PC, the directv HR21 and my PS3. I think a receiver upgrade is in my future. Wrangling with the optical and HDMI cables is getting old quick.

All in all I am very happy. As time goes on and I continue to tweak things the experience will only improve. As long as it doesn't blow up.

Haha...I was 'right'...for ME...lol...I don't think my set is defective but I just like brighter...this set is just too dim overall for me...it goes back tomorrow and a PN64F8500 will be coming shortly.biggrin.gif

Some of you may be interested in this pretty technical review of it...
http://www.tweaktv.com/in-dspth-hdtv-reviews/preliminary-review-of-samsungs-new-pn60f8500-plasma.html
hoanl190's Avatar hoanl190 08:36 PM 01-16-2014
You won't get the WOW and you may not see the difference after calibration. What you have now is good enough for a normal TV viewer. I had my Pioneer 600M patched and calibrated in 2009 because I was curious about what calibrated picture looks like. After the calibrator asked me a few questions about how I watch TV, time I watch TV, etc. and he looked at my settings in pure mode, he told me that he's afraid I won't see the difference after calibration because my settings was very close and picture was already amazing. After calibration, I had to pause, switch back and forth between the night mode and pure mode to see the difference, the night mode has more details and depth but it took me a long time to recognize it. My parents have a VT60 and they're using CNET settings and their TV looks comparable to my calibrated Pioneer. But I can't tell you about 3D though. What calibration did for me was to assure me that I have the most accurate picture and satisfy my curiosity. Hope this helps.
melmac's Avatar melmac 08:38 PM 01-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbat69 View Post

Thanks but I am not looking for my routers WPS pin (already have that). I am looking for the TV's WPS Pin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogtor View Post

Was a resolution to this noted somewhere? I am having the exact same issue with Windows 8.1 on my Surface tablet.

I'm thinking of getting a 55VT60 and would like to be able to send from my Surface Pro 2 to the TV wirelessly, has any one tried to use the Android Pin as the Windows 8.1 WPS pin?
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 08:51 PM 01-16-2014
A big question is, can you find one ?
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 09:28 PM 01-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

Some of you may be interested in this pretty technical review of it...
http://www.tweaktv.com/in-dspth-hdtv-reviews/preliminary-review-of-samsungs-new-pn60f8500-plasma.html
I don't think anyone here doubts the F8500 is a great panel. It's not like we are taking about an LED here. Lol

Besides, when you are talking about a TV that is currently selling for $3,000 vs. a TV that was just being sold for $1999 it is not like comparing apples to apples anymore so, for a lot of people it doesn't just come down to which TV they prefer but it comes down to, do they have an extra $1,000 to spend on a TV. Then if they do, they would need to decide if brightness is worth that extra $1,000.

Anyway, good luck with it and hope you enjoy it. If you haven't met Ron in the 8500 section, he went through the same thing you did recently except with a ZT60 and he loves his 8500 and I am sure you will also. There really is nothing not to like about the F8500.
greginaz1's Avatar greginaz1 09:34 PM 01-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I don't think anyone here doubts the F8500 is a great panel. It's not like we are taking about an LED here. Lol

Besides, when you are talking about a TV that is currently selling for $3,000 vs. a TV that was just being sold for $1999 it is not like comparing apples to apples anymore so, for a lot of people it doesn't just come down to which TV I prefer but it comes down to, do I have an extra $1,000 to spend on a TV. Then you would need to decide if brightness is worth that extra $1,000 although, hopefully you were able to get a good price on it.

Anyway, good luck with it and hope you enjoy it. If you haven't met Ron in the 8500 section, he went through the same thing you did recently except with a ZT60 and he loves his 8500 and I am sure you will also.

Yeah, when it came down to it I would have always second guessed the brightness of the VT...I'd rather spend the extra money and not worry about it with a set that has a lot of brightness 'margin' built into it and has just as good PQ.
jarsofwei's Avatar jarsofwei 09:55 PM 01-16-2014
Quote:

So with the crazy deals that Amazon and Buy had recently we will probably see some new faces in this thread. I thought I would put together a little quick over view of things that have been asked often in here and although this post will probably get lost quickly maybe it will help out a few folks with their new VT60 and maybe comfort a few in knowing your set is not defective. If I forget some common things please feel free to add.

This is an awesome post and a great resource for newbies.

I've had my 65VT60 for about a month and have been really enjoying it. I did end up having replace my set once because the uniformity on it was pretty bad. It was noticeable even in real content. Through the replacement, I did actually observe the following small variations between my two sets (original produced Oct'13, new one Aug'13):

- uniformity - my old set suffered from uniformity issues that extended beyond the slides.. my new one has slight uniformity issues exactly as eric3316 described, and is rarely, if ever noticeable in real content
- buzz - i never noticed my original set buzzing, but my new one definitely does.. i can sometimes hear it when my tv is muted (yes, sometimes i watch tv muted when my daughter naps), but it's really subtle and not a big deal
- fan - both seemed to have the fan fix.. the fan is by no means silent but it's not loud and rarely can be heard when the audio is at even a low level
- IR - both sets performed well in this regard, but short-term IR is definitely a thing, but doesn't seem much to worry about
- dirty screen effect - my original set had much, much worse DSE than my replacement set. kind of a bummer that it's a bit of the luck of the draw here.. either way, it wasn't THAT bad on my original set anyway.

Anyway, this is a fantastic set, and I think eric did a great job of capturing the most common questions/issues.

Having said that, I have one strange question. I noticed the first time I started up my new VT60, I could see some fuzzy static on the screen for literally less than 1 second. It fuzzed and dissipated very shortly. I've notice that the first time I start up the TV each day, I can see this fuzz. It's so short-lived that it never interferes with content -- it's gone long before the TV gets a signal from my receiver. I'm just a little concerned because my original set didn't do this. And I'm worried this could become a bigger problem. Has anyone seen this with their TV? Is this just a normal static discharge from when the TV hasn't been turned on for a while? Or is this the start of a bigger problem? And to be clear, I don't ever notice this issue after the initial startup of the TV... just curious...

edit: typos
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 10:21 PM 01-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarsofwei View Post

I've had my 65VT60 for about a month and have been really enjoying. I did end up having replace my set once because the uniformity on it was pretty bad. It was noticeable even in real content. Through the replacement, I did actually observe the following small variations between my two sets (original produced Oct'13, new one Aug'13):

- uniformity - my old set suffered from uniformity issues that extended beyond the slides.. my new one has slight uniformity issues exactly as eric3316 described, and is rarely, if ever noticeable in real content
- buzz - i never noticed my original set buzzing, but my new one definitely does.. i can sometimes hear it when my tv is muted (yes, sometimes i watch tv muted when my daughter naps), but it's really subtle and not a big deal
- fan - both seemed to have the fan fix.. the fan is by no means silent but it's not loud and rarely can be heard when the audio is at even a low level
- IR - both sets performed well in this regard, but short-term IR is definitely a thing, but doesn't see much to worry about
- dirty screen effect - my original set had much, much worse DSE than my replacement set. kind of a bummer that it's a bit of the luck of the draw here.. either way, it wasn't THAT bad on my original set anyway.

Anyway, this is a fantastic set, and I think eric did a great job of capturing the most common questions/issues.

Having said that, I have one strange question. I noticed the first time I started up my new VT60, I could see some fuzzy static on the screen for literally less than 1 second. It fuzzed and dissipated very shortly. I've notice that the first time I start up the TV each day, I can see this fuzz. It's so short-lived that it never interferes with content -- it's gone long before the TV gets a signal from my receiver. I'm just a little concerned because my original set didn't do this. And I'm worried this could become a bigger problem. Has anyone seen this with their TV? Is this just a normal static discharge from when the TV hasn't been turned on for a while? Or is this the start of a bigger problem? And to be clear, I don't ever notice this issue after the initial startup of the TV... just curious...
Thanks, I have added DSE to my list.

As far as your issue it is not something I noticed nor have I paid attention to see it but will look tomorrow if no one responds. Any chance of taking a video and maybe posting it up on YouTube.
jarsofwei's Avatar jarsofwei 12:56 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:

Thanks, I have added DSE to my list.

As far as your issue it is not something I noticed nor have I paid attention to see it but will look tomorrow if no one responds. Any chance of taking a video and maybe posting it up on YouTube.

Thanks! I'll try to take a video but it only happens if the TV hasn't been turned on for a while. I've tried power cycling it and unplugging it to replicate the issue, but to no avail. I'm hoping it won't become an issue. I'll give it another try either tomorrow morning or evening.
FilmReverie's Avatar FilmReverie 01:09 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:

Thanks! I'll try to take a video but it only happens if the TV hasn't been turned on for a while. I've tried power cycling it and unplugging it to replicate the issue, but to no avail. I'm hoping it won't become an issue. I'll give it another try either tomorrow morning or evening.

Do you have any way of plugging it in elsewhere to see if that makes a difference? It does sound odd.
htwaits's Avatar htwaits 01:11 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

Has anyone actually had Dnice calibrate their VT60 and if so, what do you think?
Use the link in the signature area at the bottom of my post. Go to post number two and scroll down to the Panasonic VT60 sets. You will see links to anyone who has posted about D-Nice's work. You can also check his work with other model, especially the Pioneer Elite Kuro sets. D-Nice and the other well known calibrators are not restricted to a few plasma models. wink.gif
htwaits's Avatar htwaits 01:24 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

I've decided to get a calibration for my 65VT60. But will I love it? confused.gif

I figure some of you must have gone thru this before and I would love to hear your happy (or sad) experiences.

I have some 600 hours on the tv. I use Cinema picture mode (which has some tweaked CNET settings). Picture is nice. Colors are bright and seem accurate-y. But I have not really experienced the WOW factor.

Scared that I will pay the big bucks for the calibration, and it will be only slightly better. Or even worse, that I won't like it. eek.gif And then the wife will remind me of my 'calibration folly' for years to come. But I want the WOW!

Please tell me what has been your experience.
You can read hundreds of owner comments about having a known professional calibrate their flat screen displays by using the link in the signature area at the bottom of my post. Go to post number two which has all the plasma reports.
jarsofwei's Avatar jarsofwei 01:58 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Do you have any way of plugging it in elsewhere to see if that makes a difference? It does sound odd.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it do this with two different outlets. One was when I was plugging in the TV for the first time at delivery. I remember the static catching my eye when I first turned it on. Again, it's only the first power up and only for maybe half a second or less... really strange
whityfrd's Avatar whityfrd 02:04 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:

I've had my 65VT60 for about a month and have been really enjoying it. I did end up having replace my set once because the uniformity on it was pretty bad. It was noticeable even in real content. Through the replacement, I did actually observe the following small variations between my two sets (original produced Oct'13, new one Aug'13):

- IR - both sets performed well in this regard, but short-term IR is definitely a thing, but doesn't seem much to worry about

edit: typos

the brief white dancing pixels you see at power up is normal with any plasma. All three of mine (panny, kuro, then Samsung) have had it and its more noticeable in the colder months than the warmer. Gotta be something with plasma tech on cold start up in general.. Come May/June, you will forget you even made this post. Next December/ January, you will be scrounging for this post as reference to see if anyone has replied, lol. Its normal for the tech. Let the broad stretch her legs before the makes you breakfast. lol.
FilmReverie's Avatar FilmReverie 02:35 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

the brief white dancing pixels you see at power up is normal with any plasma. All three of mine (panny, kuro, then Samsung) have had it and its more noticeable in the colder months than the warmer. Gotta be something with plasma tech on cold start up in general.. Come May/June, you will forget you even made this post. Next December/ January, you will be scrounging for this post as reference to see if anyone has replied, lol. Its normal for the tech. Let the broad stretch her legs before the makes you breakfast. lol.

Interesting I haven't noticed it but it has been over 40 celcius every time I have used the vt60 at home thus far.
drmillerm3's Avatar drmillerm3 07:44 AM 01-17-2014
Thanks for the helpful summary. I take delivery of mine at 2pm today smile.gif
Mean Gene's Avatar Mean Gene 08:24 AM 01-17-2014
Pilot just delivered mine, so far so good. No cracks/signs of damage. It was too cold to turn on and has a June 2013 build date. Fingers crossed until I can turn it on....
jarsofwei's Avatar jarsofwei 09:20 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

Interesting, this is very helpful - thanks. I started it up just a moment ago and it didn't have the static. It's not exactly cold here in the Bay Area... and I keep my house at 68F... My original VT60 didn't seem to have this issue, and it was colder here when I had it... I also have owned a Panasonic V10 that never had this issue. I'll try to bear the weather in mind going forward though.

edit: another thought is.. i'm not sure I'd describe it as dancing "pixels" per se... it is less defined, linty fuzz that dances on the screen for a brief moment smile.gif well, in either case, it sounds like I'm making too much of this!
SeLfMaDe111985's Avatar SeLfMaDe111985 09:47 AM 01-17-2014
So in the case that the Vt60 is entirely sold
Out everywhere in the country what would one do (not me) if there set stopped
Working a few months from now? Obviously they would be under warranty but can't replace it with the same set so what would thy do? Give you there new LED "allegedly" plasma Quality TV?
Gargoyle117's Avatar Gargoyle117 09:58 AM 01-17-2014
Has anyone ordered a VT60 from Amazon since January 4th? I ordered a 65VT60 at that time and still have not received it (January 17th today). I am in the Chicago area, so sets delivered in Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison or Rockford would have gone through the same delivery chain.

I am very disappointed in Amazon. Half of these delays have been due to their inaction and inability to ensure there were no additional delays. The other half of the disappointment is saved for the shipping carrier JB Hunt, who has had the TV since January 10th and will not deliver it until January 21st at the earliest. I had never had issues with Amazon before, but this is very upsetting, since they have failed numerous times to even attempt to make up for their mistakes. I would have had the TV sooner had I canceled my first order and placed a new one.

At this point, I am scared there will be some sort of manufacturing defect and I will not be able to exchange or replace the set. Stock is running low (out) almost everywhere.
DavidHir's Avatar DavidHir 10:08 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Have an open mind... knowing that what he give you as a final might take some time to get adjusted to, but at least it should be what the director intend to. Color is very hard to judge by eye, unless you are trained and looked at those "accurate" one day-in day-out. And most accurate calibration do take away "brightness", as the best way to make things balanced will be to "take away", not "adding". So, you might lose some brightness, but if your environment allowed, you should get a much "natural" picture, which to me is more important.
The other thing you can ask your calibrator do is give you 1-2 more settings that might be less accurate, but suit to your taste. They are pretty customer-oriented smile.gif

But that essentially defeats the whole purpose of having a calibrator out. Your goal of a calibration should be to get as close as possible to rec. 709. Period. That is what is meant by "reference" levels. The VT/ZT60 has the potential to get closer to that than any other display on the market at the moment. By achieving those levels, you will essentially be watching content as close as possible the way it was meant to be seen and subjectively, you will start to see what a truly "natural" looking image looks like and how much better it looks compared to anything else. Also, getting a calibration doesn't necessarily mean you have to watch a dimmer image. There is a lot of misconception about this. Yes, sometimes light output might have to be toned down from the absolute maximum output of what the display is capable of, but the display should still be able to use most of the light output it's capable of performing in most cases.
smurraybhm's Avatar smurraybhm 10:11 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

Working a few months from now? Obviously they would be under warranty but can't replace it with the same set so what would thy do? Give you there new LED "allegedly" plasma Quality TV?

Most displays can be repaired - a lot of Pioneer parts are still available from different sources. This isn't really something to worry about and if it happens then you deal with it then. I know you struggle with that concept, but let's not divert the thread to a what happens if my display breaks - of course you could always start a thread for that topic.

For those worrying about their Amazon sets being defective - the only thing I would be concerned about is that it arrives to your home/apartment in good condition. The number of issues with ANY display are greatly exaggerated on forums like this one. Be grateful you got one before they were gone. It is an awesome display when set up correctly. I look forward to enjoying mine until OLED becomes affordable or 100,000 hours - which ever comes first smile.gif
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 10:14 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

They should still make parts for years to come. If it cannot be fixed they usually give you a refund for the price you paid for the TV.
kluken's Avatar kluken 10:19 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle117 View Post

Has anyone ordered a VT60 from Amazon since January 4th? I ordered a 65VT60 at that time and still have not received it (January 17th today). I am in the Chicago area, so sets delivered in Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison or Rockford would have gone through the same delivery chain.

I am very disappointed in Amazon. Half of these delays have been due to their inaction and inability to ensure there were no additional delays. The other half of the disappointment is saved for the shipping carrier JB Hunt, who has had the TV since January 10th and will not deliver it until January 21st at the earliest. I had never had issues with Amazon before, but this is very upsetting, since they have failed numerous times to even attempt to make up for their mistakes. I would have had the TV sooner had I canceled my first order and placed a new one.

At this point, I am scared there will be some sort of manufacturing defect and I will not be able to exchange or replace the set. Stock is running low (out) almost everywhere.

I ordered 2 days ago and it did not ship and when I asked them they said they are not sure if it will ship now since none are available. I am ordering a backup display. Amazon updated my account to show that if it ships and I source elsewhere they will return it with no reshipping fees.
JPowers's Avatar JPowers 10:21 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:

That's really unacceptable, but you shouldn't blame Amazon. It's in the hands of JB Hunt, who were a week late with mine and didn't call until I contacted them through Amazon. It might be partially weather related. After you receive your set, make sure you contact Amazon and they should give you a credit for your frustration.
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 10:24 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about it being defected. Your first panel is just as likely to be in working condition as the replacement would be.
MCF34's Avatar MCF34 10:57 AM 01-17-2014
I am getting pretty concerned. My set has 180 hours on it and everything seems fine. I keep checking to see if the fans are running and I don't think they are. I put my hand on back of tv and it is actually hot, not warm - one or two spots are hot to the point that if I hold my hand on them for a period of time, I am pretty sure I would get a minor burn on my hand!!! Is this normal???? I would say some spots on back of tv are around 110-120 F and some spots are approaching 130-140deg F. This seems pretty damn hot to me!!!!
neveralone777's Avatar neveralone777 11:03 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

Pilot just delivered mine, so far so good. No cracks/signs of damage. It was too cold to turn on and has a June 2013 build date. Fingers crossed until I can turn it on....

Keep us updated please. Did you have pilot put it on the stand or just leave the box in your house? Pilot is delivering mine on monday. The temperature that day will be low 33, high 63. It is being delivered to me between 3pm-7pm. How long should I wait before I plug it in?

Thanks
Codeman00's Avatar Codeman00 11:33 AM 01-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

But that essentially defeats the whole purpose of having a calibrator out. Your goal of a calibration should be to get as close as possible to rec. 709. Period. That is what is meant by "reference" levels. The VT/ZT60 has the potential to get closer to that than any other display on the market at the moment. By achieving those levels, you will essentially be watching content as close as possible the way it was meant to be seen and subjectively, you will start to see what a truly "natural" looking image looks like and how much better it looks compared to anything else. Also, getting a calibration doesn't necessarily mean you have to watch a dimmer image. There is a lot of misconception about this. Yes, sometimes light output might have to be toned down from the absolute maximum output of what the display is capable of, but the display should still be able to use most of the light output it's capable of performing in most cases.

I disagree with that. I'm not a calibrator myself, but most calibrators will set up a day and night setting for you viewing or a custom viewing setting that is specially set up for the typical lighting in the room the TV is set up in. For example...if you put an torch LED in a completely dark room, then you're going to have to dial the panel brightness down and vice versa if its set up in a bright room with a lot of windows. From what I've read, a good calibration is more than just a "set it to perfect" task, its more of setting it to perfect but modifying it for the owners personal viewing environment and the content to what that person watches. I am fine with a calibrator coming to my house and setting up my VT60 for perfect dark room settings, but I doubt that I will ever use them. I've never once used them in the past because they are way too dim and I don't like to watch TV with the lights out. I'll probably use the day settings all of the time like I have in the past with my VT25's. If a calbrator said he was going to set up one single night viewing perfect to 709 setting, then I would not waste money on a calibration....its way too dim for what i would personally watch on a regular basis.
Tags: Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
First ... 359  360  361 362  363  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop