Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 373 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11161 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoShoBear View Post

Hi everyone!

New owner of a 55" VT60 as of today. Ive had a few hours to try out the TV and so far ive come across a few things that has me a bit worried. Im hoping someone can shine some light on these for me to ease my worries smile.gif

1. Black levels, i bought this TV because ive so long wanted a TV with great blacks. They are good, dont get me wrong but i cant seem to get my set to be as black as the frame, even in a somewhat lit up room. Ive tried some settings and theyre all very similar but none seem to affect black levels a great deal. Maybe im mistaken about this and perhaps thought after all the great reviews that this set was almost as black as it gets. I can clearly see (without a doubt) that the screen isnt close to pure black when displaying a black image. (showing photo through hdmi). Am i the only one or do my set just need more time to "settle in"?
  2. Flicker, lots of it. When im watching content synced with 24fps/hz im getting alot of flicker in bright areas on content. The flicker goes away if i just let it roll at 60hz _or_ if i have it set to 24hz but have the motion thing set to MAX. The latter obviously isnt a choise. Has anyone else experienced this? The flicker is comparable to having the 3D glasses switched on and staring into a bright light (like a lamp or something). This cant be normal?

Any input/help is greatly appreciated! I really dont want to return this set after 3 years of looking and searching for my next TV.

I've found that the key to blacker blacks is the Brightness adjustment. Find something you think should be blacker and pause it and then go into the Picture Menu and decrease Brightness. Watch background shadowing carefully and don't over do it.

As for flicker, I won't comment-dont know enough about frame rates.
Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11162 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

You've made a good display choice.

I'll be setting up a new 65VT60 tomorrow and will be posting calibration settings with 1 hour usage and will follow up at 300 hours with the same settings to see how much drift the 2013 VT's exhibit.

Please do. Mine is at 45hrs and I am itching to do some calibration, but I might wait till it is 300hrs. I do not plan to run slides though, so it probably will take me a few months to get to 300hrs... would be interesting to know how it went and if the fluctuation is not that bad, I might do it sooner! thanks buzz!

My display will be placed in a back bedroom where only my wife watches TV occasionally so I suppose I'll run some slides to hurry the process along. The idea that the VT & ZT60's need 300 hours vs 100 originated at the VE Shootout where DeWayne, Kevin, et al also said that the 2013 models had reverted back to squirrelly calibration characteristics reminiscent of 2011. They may have had a bad example or two because I have found the 60's calibrating as solidly as the 50's. I'll do a basic calibration in one of the Pro modes during the first hour, and check for drift at both 100 and 300 hours.
fight4yu likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #11163 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

My display will be placed in a back bedroom where only my wife watches TV occasionally so I suppose I'll run some slides to hurry the process along. The idea that the VT & ZT60's need 300 hours vs 100 originated at the VE Shootout where DeWayne, Kevin, et al also said that the 2013 models had reverted back to squirrelly calibration characteristics reminiscent of 2011. They may have had a bad example or two because I have found the 60's calibrating as solidly as the 50's. I'll do a basic calibration in one of the Pro modes during the first hour, and check for drift at both 100 and 300 hours.
I know in Chad B's initial review of the VT60 he said it was not fun to calibrate and if I recall he said moving one thing would throw another thing off and it was much worse to calibrate then his GT50. He then later updated the review after he did more VT60's I guess with more hours on them then his originally one he did and said the VT60 has become the best Plasma he has worked with. lol

Edit....Found the review

Here were his exact words:

"After calibrating many more VT60s, it appears that the fussy calibration behavior noted in the initial review is reduced with extended break in. With a few hundred hours on the panel, the VT60's measured performance seems to be more stable and repeatable. The VT60 is, in my opinion, the best plasma I've ever had the pleasure of working with."

And for those interested in his review:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-vt65-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/690#post_23272374
post #11164 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost2231 View Post

163 hours in now and spent the last 43 watching differnt settings. Finally decided on silly Sally's first setting on rec 709 Not native. At least for netflix thru Apple TV anyway. Flaws in content seem less visible, whites are brighter, picture is clearer although there is a loss in color compared to the other settings. Nothing's perfect.

Agree. I'm using the same settings with Netflix and they are far superior to D'Nice, CNET or Sound & Vision (so far). I've been chasing other peoples' settings for a few days now and I've noticed a pattern (with me): At first I think I've finally hit upon the magic settings. But a few days later, I think, "My goodness, are these the same ones I really liked???" For example, using one of the settings above, I put on the football games this weekend and it looked like CRAP. Disconcerting....So, I ended up watching the rest of the games in THX Bright Room. And the room was kinda bright, not overly bright.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #11165 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have heard a hundred times that Panasonic shut down production in December but has anyone received a set with a December build date? Or even one from November? I feel like October 2013 is the latest anyone mentions on the forums, is there a chance some extra inventory is on the way or did they shut it down early?
post #11166 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Agree. I'm using the same settings with Netflix and they are far superior to D'Nice, CNET or Sound & Vision (so far). I've been chasing other peoples' settings for a few days now and I've noticed a pattern (with me): At first I think I've finally hit upon the magic settings. But a few days later, I think, "My goodness, are these the same ones I really liked???" For example, using one of the settings above, I put on the football games this weekend and it looked like CRAP. Disconcerting....So, I ended up watching the rest of the games in THX Bright Room. And the room was kinda bright, not overly bright.
Add me to the SS setting fan club. It has been my favorite of the bunch. Good colors, good whites, good contrast and decent brightness.

I do like THX Cinema mode also but not being able to change the pixel orbitor to on has steered me away from using it. I like to keep the orbitor on while watching cable TV. There is absolutely no reason to keep the orbitor on for blu ray, Netflix or any streaming services since they have no static images but THX Cinema is not available while using other services so it is great to find settings that really seem to work.
post #11167 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorage View Post

I have heard a hundred times that Panasonic shut down production in December but has anyone received a set with a December build date? Or even one from November? I feel like October 2013 is the latest anyone mentions on the forums, is there a chance some extra inventory is on the way or did they shut it down early?
I would not hold my breath for extra inventory on the VT60. I think we have seen the last of it.
post #11168 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 AM

Not expecting any more, just curious if there are any December build dates floating around. So many people mention the build date in regards to the fan fix, and I can't recall seeing anything after October.

Just in that recent run on Amazon there were delivered units built all the way back in June.
post #11169 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not expecting any more, just curious if there are any December build dates floating around. So many people mention the build date in regards to the fan fix, and I can't recall seeing anything after October.

Just in that recent run on Amazon there were delivered units built all the way back in June.
Nothing later then October has been reported for the VT60.
post #11170 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 AM

Liked: 11
Where can I find Silly Sally's settings ?
post #11171 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonestert View Post

Where can I find Silly Sally's settings ?

DNICE Slides and Settings (I use my Android device to open DNICE's XML file for his settings. It opens in a text viewer that is readable and then can be entered manually into your TV. There is obviously other ways to read an XML file on your computer):
http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939

SillySally:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread/1110#post_23439581

CNET:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/

Sound & Vision:
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/panasonic-tc-p65vt60-3d-plasma-hdtv-settings

Plasma TV Buying Guide
http://reviews.*******************.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-vt60-picture-settings.html
Change the stars to "plasma tv buying guide" without the quotes and spaces to get the work to link. AVS does not like that site because of past issues.

AVS Calibration Disc
http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration
tonestert likes this.
post #11172 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 AM

Liked: 10
Anyone here like silly Sally settings set on natural instead of rec 709? I tried them on the movie strange frame but it was way too much color, it was like watching a neon sign LOL.

I don't really understand why Panasonic just didn't keep making these TVs until people stop buying them. No more research and development just build.
1. Make plasma
2. ?
3. Profit
post #11173 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyone here like silly Sally settings set on natural instead of rec 709? I tried them on the movie strange frame but it was way too much color, it was like watching a neon sign LOL.

I don't really understand why Panasonic just didn't keep making these TVs until people stop buying them. No more research and development just build.
1. Make plasma
2. ?
3. Profit

I have read the decision was based on profit vis-a-vis numbers of units sold which were being undercut by LED/LCDs.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #11174 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 614
When I walk by the tv section at costco and the game is on that day, the TV set I inevitably pause in front of to see where the game is at is an LCD one because it looks best and brightest smile.gif. Its hard to picture people coming into a store and choosing the super dim plasma and understanding how native contrast is going to make them enjoy their films more.
post #11175 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

When I walk by the tv section at costco and the game is on that day, the TV set I inevitably pause in front of to see where the game is at is an LCD one because it looks best and brightest smile.gif. Its hard to picture people coming into a store and choosing the super dim plasma and understanding how native contrast is going to make them enjoy their films more.

I agree. I've also noticed after two LED sets I returned that I can never ever get my set to look like that in my home. This includes for some reason, the side fading of the LEDs. I stood for almost 10 mins at Costco one day twisting a set back and forth trying to get it to fade and I couldn't. To this day I can't explain that one.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #11176 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM

Liked: 26
Just arrived from Pilot and cracked screen. No more in stock. Fail!

If anyone bought an insurance VT60 from Amazon and is returning could you let me know? Maybe Amazon would allow for it to be routed to me if you agreed? PM me please!
post #11177 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 614
I hear you Scott - not only is side fading (viewing angle) hard to see in the store, but vertical banding as well (See my profile pic of my samsung for a good example of that). I think the tremendous amount of light hitting the screen/filter makes it near impossible to see the issue. At home, even a bright room, will have a lot less light hitting the screen. Thank God we ended up with the right panels one way or another though! biggrin.gif
post #11178 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by johdtv View Post

If anyone bought an insurance VT60 from Amazon and is returning could you let me know? Maybe Amazon would allow for it to be routed to me if you agreed? PM me please!
Ugh mines supposed to come today from pilot.

Are you going to get the tv you sent back to best buy instead?
post #11179 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

Ugh mines supposed to come today from pilot.

Are you going to get the tv you sent back to best buy instead?

Mine comes from pilot today too. I know I shouldn't be worried, but now I am...
post #11180 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM

Liked: 26
My fail, but I returned it yesterday. Should have kept the ZT!

Pilot had two small guys who didn't look like they knew what they were doing. But I'm sure it's hit or miss. Good luck!

I will console myself knowing I have a good life going and believe that future technology will make for some great televisions.
post #11181 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 11:38 AM

Liked: 17
I have a question about the VT60, calibration, and watching ice hockey. Yes...all of that.

I watch a lot of hockey and notice that my CNET settings look great on everything I watch, except ice hockey. I know that sometimes its signal dependent but most of the time, the ice looks more brownish, than it does white like it does in real life. What's interesting is that the uniform colors and everything else looks great...but not the ice. And since the ice is brownish, the black puck doesn't stand out like it should...it kind of blends. During games, sometimes I will adjust the panel to Warm1 or Normal instead of Warm 2...or adjust the gamma a bit. That makes the ice more white with more puck contrast, but the colors of the uniforms and other things fade.

I moved to my office during the game last night and my little crappy 24" LED shows the ice as bright and white as it is in person. The difference is striking and makes the game easier to watch.

If I get my set calibrated, will the ice be white instead of brownish? Or is there something with the ABL and the dim panel that makes the ice always "dirty" as in the "dirty white" phenomenon inherent in plasmas?
post #11182 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johdtv View Post

There is a guy in the VT60 deals thread canceling his order and offering it to a forum member. fmzip i think
post #11183 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

I have a question about the VT60, calibration, and watching ice hockey. Yes...all of that.

I watch a lot of hockey and notice that my CNET settings look great on everything I watch, except ice hockey. I know that sometimes its signal dependent but most of the time, the ice looks more brownish, than it does white like it does in real life. What's interesting is that the uniform colors and everything else looks great...but not the ice. And since the ice is brownish, the black puck doesn't stand out like it should...it kind of blends. During games, sometimes I will adjust the panel to Warm1 or Normal instead of Warm 2...or adjust the gamma a bit. That makes the ice more white with more puck contrast, but the colors of the uniforms and other things fade.

I moved to my office during the game last night and my little crappy 24" LED shows the ice as bright and white as it is in person. The difference is striking and makes the game easier to watch.

If I get my set calibrated, will the ice be white instead of brownish? Or is there something with the ABL and the dim panel that makes the ice always "dirty" as in the "dirty white" phenomenon inherent in plasmas?

My guess, as you are comparing led/lcd whites to VT60 plasma whites, is that a calibration will not solve your issue for you. The ABL will be too severe to ever let a basically full screen white image be blindingly bright white.
post #11184 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 12:54 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Maybe they stopped producing the larger and higher end models first and kept making the lower end models until the end of Dec.
post #11185 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 708
post #11186 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 01:00 PM

im expecting delivery in about an hr from pilot hope all goes well
post #11187 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I think you will find that although the colors look faded when comparing 2 settings back to back, when you are just watching hockey your eyes will adjust and the colors will look fine. I could be wrong but works for me.
post #11188 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I think you will find that although the colors look faded when comparing 2 settings back to back, when you are just watching hockey your eyes will adjust and the colors will look fine. I could be wrong but works for me.
So if you have a calibrated display, what exact modifications do you suggest for watching hockey? Or should I just adjust as I see fit?
post #11189 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:

So if you have a calibrated display, what exact modifications do you suggest for watching hockey? Or should I just adjust as I see fit?

I'm no expert but Switching the color temp like you did is probably good just for hockey. Have you tried the silly Sally settings yet? Brighter whites but not sure if you watch in dark or bright room.
post #11190 of 15670 Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 PM

pilot delivered on time. It was just one guy which was surprising i helped him carry it in and he helped me set up. tv seems fine got a sep build and haven't noticed any problems
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page