Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 373 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 238Likes

post #11161 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Where can I find Silly Sally's settings ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11162 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonestert View Post

Where can I find Silly Sally's settings ?

DNICE Slides and Settings (I use my Android device to open DNICE's XML file for his settings. It opens in a text viewer that is readable and then can be entered manually into your TV. There is obviously other ways to read an XML file on your computer):
http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939

SillySally:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread/1110#post_23439581

CNET:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/

Sound & Vision:
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/panasonic-tc-p65vt60-3d-plasma-hdtv-settings

Plasma TV Buying Guide
http://reviews.*******************.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-vt60-picture-settings.html
Change the stars to "plasma tv buying guide" without the quotes and spaces to get the work to link. AVS does not like that site because of past issues.

AVS Calibration Disc
http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration
tonestert likes this.
post #11163 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone here like silly Sally settings set on natural instead of rec 709? I tried them on the movie strange frame but it was way too much color, it was like watching a neon sign LOL.

I don't really understand why Panasonic just didn't keep making these TVs until people stop buying them. No more research and development just build.
1. Make plasma
2. ?
3. Profit
post #11164 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost2231 View Post

Anyone here like silly Sally settings set on natural instead of rec 709? I tried them on the movie strange frame but it was way too much color, it was like watching a neon sign LOL.

I don't really understand why Panasonic just didn't keep making these TVs until people stop buying them. No more research and development just build.
1. Make plasma
2. ?
3. Profit

I have read the decision was based on profit vis-a-vis numbers of units sold which were being undercut by LED/LCDs.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #11165 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 1076
When I walk by the tv section at costco and the game is on that day, the TV set I inevitably pause in front of to see where the game is at is an LCD one because it looks best and brightest smile.gif. Its hard to picture people coming into a store and choosing the super dim plasma and understanding how native contrast is going to make them enjoy their films more.
post #11166 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

When I walk by the tv section at costco and the game is on that day, the TV set I inevitably pause in front of to see where the game is at is an LCD one because it looks best and brightest smile.gif. Its hard to picture people coming into a store and choosing the super dim plasma and understanding how native contrast is going to make them enjoy their films more.

I agree. I've also noticed after two LED sets I returned that I can never ever get my set to look like that in my home. This includes for some reason, the side fading of the LEDs. I stood for almost 10 mins at Costco one day twisting a set back and forth trying to get it to fade and I couldn't. To this day I can't explain that one.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #11167 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 AM

Liked: 26
Just arrived from Pilot and cracked screen. No more in stock. Fail!

If anyone bought an insurance VT60 from Amazon and is returning could you let me know? Maybe Amazon would allow for it to be routed to me if you agreed? PM me please!
post #11168 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 1076
I hear you Scott - not only is side fading (viewing angle) hard to see in the store, but vertical banding as well (See my profile pic of my samsung for a good example of that). I think the tremendous amount of light hitting the screen/filter makes it near impossible to see the issue. At home, even a bright room, will have a lot less light hitting the screen. Thank God we ended up with the right panels one way or another though! biggrin.gif
post #11169 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by johdtv View Post

If anyone bought an insurance VT60 from Amazon and is returning could you let me know? Maybe Amazon would allow for it to be routed to me if you agreed? PM me please!
Ugh mines supposed to come today from pilot.

Are you going to get the tv you sent back to best buy instead?
post #11170 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

Ugh mines supposed to come today from pilot.

Are you going to get the tv you sent back to best buy instead?

Mine comes from pilot today too. I know I shouldn't be worried, but now I am...
post #11171 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM

Liked: 26
My fail, but I returned it yesterday. Should have kept the ZT!

Pilot had two small guys who didn't look like they knew what they were doing. But I'm sure it's hit or miss. Good luck!

I will console myself knowing I have a good life going and believe that future technology will make for some great televisions.
post #11172 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a question about the VT60, calibration, and watching ice hockey. Yes...all of that.

I watch a lot of hockey and notice that my CNET settings look great on everything I watch, except ice hockey. I know that sometimes its signal dependent but most of the time, the ice looks more brownish, than it does white like it does in real life. What's interesting is that the uniform colors and everything else looks great...but not the ice. And since the ice is brownish, the black puck doesn't stand out like it should...it kind of blends. During games, sometimes I will adjust the panel to Warm1 or Normal instead of Warm 2...or adjust the gamma a bit. That makes the ice more white with more puck contrast, but the colors of the uniforms and other things fade.

I moved to my office during the game last night and my little crappy 24" LED shows the ice as bright and white as it is in person. The difference is striking and makes the game easier to watch.

If I get my set calibrated, will the ice be white instead of brownish? Or is there something with the ABL and the dim panel that makes the ice always "dirty" as in the "dirty white" phenomenon inherent in plasmas?
post #11173 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by johdtv View Post

There is a guy in the VT60 deals thread canceling his order and offering it to a forum member. fmzip i think
post #11174 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

I have a question about the VT60, calibration, and watching ice hockey. Yes...all of that.

I watch a lot of hockey and notice that my CNET settings look great on everything I watch, except ice hockey. I know that sometimes its signal dependent but most of the time, the ice looks more brownish, than it does white like it does in real life. What's interesting is that the uniform colors and everything else looks great...but not the ice. And since the ice is brownish, the black puck doesn't stand out like it should...it kind of blends. During games, sometimes I will adjust the panel to Warm1 or Normal instead of Warm 2...or adjust the gamma a bit. That makes the ice more white with more puck contrast, but the colors of the uniforms and other things fade.

I moved to my office during the game last night and my little crappy 24" LED shows the ice as bright and white as it is in person. The difference is striking and makes the game easier to watch.

If I get my set calibrated, will the ice be white instead of brownish? Or is there something with the ABL and the dim panel that makes the ice always "dirty" as in the "dirty white" phenomenon inherent in plasmas?

My guess, as you are comparing led/lcd whites to VT60 plasma whites, is that a calibration will not solve your issue for you. The ABL will be too severe to ever let a basically full screen white image be blindingly bright white.
post #11175 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 12:54 PM
cpc
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorage View Post

I have heard a hundred times that Panasonic shut down production in December but has anyone received a set with a December build date? Or even one from November? I feel like October 2013 is the latest anyone mentions on the forums, is there a chance some extra inventory is on the way or did they shut it down early?

Maybe they stopped producing the larger and higher end models first and kept making the lower end models until the end of Dec.
post #11176 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1921
post #11177 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 01:00 PM

im expecting delivery in about an hr from pilot hope all goes well
post #11178 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I think you will find that although the colors look faded when comparing 2 settings back to back, when you are just watching hockey your eyes will adjust and the colors will look fine. I could be wrong but works for me.
post #11179 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost2231 View Post

I think you will find that although the colors look faded when comparing 2 settings back to back, when you are just watching hockey your eyes will adjust and the colors will look fine. I could be wrong but works for me.
So if you have a calibrated display, what exact modifications do you suggest for watching hockey? Or should I just adjust as I see fit?
post #11180 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:

So if you have a calibrated display, what exact modifications do you suggest for watching hockey? Or should I just adjust as I see fit?

I'm no expert but Switching the color temp like you did is probably good just for hockey. Have you tried the silly Sally settings yet? Brighter whites but not sure if you watch in dark or bright room.
post #11181 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 PM

pilot delivered on time. It was just one guy which was surprising i helped him carry it in and he helped me set up. tv seems fine got a sep build and haven't noticed any problems
post #11182 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

For hockey I use Dnices daytime settings except I use Gamma 2.2. For some of the darker arenas I will also turn Panel Brightness to High,

The ice will always have a brownish tint to it. If you have ever gone to a game and looked at the jumbotron then look at the ice. On the jumbortron the ice is a lot whiter than the natural color. I assume that is what you are viewing on your small LCD.
post #11183 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM

Just got mine. June 2013 build date, so if the fans are noisy, might need the fix, I guess. No cracks or anything, but not going to be starting this thing up for a while since it is currently 5 degrees out...
post #11184 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Nothing later then October has been reported for the VT60.
In Australia i just received a 65 inch with build date November.
post #11185 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel7 View Post

For hockey I use Dnices daytime settings except I use Gamma 2.2. For some of the darker arenas I will also turn Panel Brightness to High,

The ice will always have a brownish tint to it. If you have ever gone to a game and looked at the jumbotron then look at the ice. On the jumbortron the ice is a lot whiter than the natural color. I assume that is what you are viewing on your small LCD.

I've been to dozens of hockey games, and the ice was never brown. Just put it on one of the cool settings, rather than warm.
post #11186 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 02:32 PM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueTheMusic View Post

Just got mine. June 2013 build date, so if the fans are noisy, might need the fix, I guess. No cracks or anything, but not going to be starting this thing up for a while since it is currently 5 degrees out...

I used a Raytek IR temperature gun to confirm the delivery temperature on the BOL and as a reason to pass on the "power-up" provision that's included with most deliveries. I waited 24+ hours for it to come to close to room temperature before power up. I considered dew-point and possible condensation issues while it was warming. The sheet-metal panels came to temp in several hours but I assumed it would take much longer for all the components to warm. The large sheet metal panel that the boards and also the stand bolt to is quite deep in the build so I'd suggest a 24+ hour wait. I don't believe I'd rush the warming either.

The Raytek I used was very similar to this but they offer much less expensive models. If you've many pieces of AV equipment in close confines a purchase could be quite beneficial, you'll find many uses for it if you have one.

http://www.instrumart.com/products/2271/raytek-st25-autopro-infrared-thermometer?gclid=CI6S0r2bkLwCFacDOgodX0UAPA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mine was a 64F8500 but I'm sure the builds are all very similar.
post #11187 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 02:59 PM

About game mode. Im playing bf4 on vt60 and useing d-nice day setting. I dont see any difference in pq when toggling game mode on or of. But it eliminates the lag when its turned on. So, what does game mode turn of in prosessing??
post #11188 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am going to try some of the different calibration settings and had some questions. Does it matter which picture mode I enter them into? I noticed that CNET uses "cinema", Sound & Vision uses "pro 2" for 2D and "custom" for 3D, SillySally uses "pro 1 or 2" and D-Nice uses "custom". Also, for Screen Format CNET uses "Just" while the others use "Full". Lastly, for Pixel Orbiter, most say to use "Auto(off)" but Sound & Vision uses "On". I am almost done with the break in slides and want to make sure I enter these settings correctly. Thanks.
post #11189 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post

I am going to try some of the different calibration settings and had some questions. Does it matter which picture mode I enter them into? I noticed that CNET uses "cinema", Sound & Vision uses "pro 2" for 2D and "custom" for 3D, SillySally uses "pro 1 or 2" and D-Nice uses "custom". Also, for Screen Format CNET uses "Just" while the others use "Full". Lastly, for Pixel Orbiter, most say to use "Auto(off)" but Sound & Vision uses "On". I am almost done with the break in slides and want to make sure I enter these settings correctly. Thanks.

Some modes had limited settings you can choose, or baked in some settings you cannot choose... but I think Pro1 and Pro2 are the most "open".
If you don't have the gear, i would say that any settings are just a shot in the dark.. For the sources you mentioned above, they are all calibrated with the right equipment so as long as the end result looks good, they probably does not matter.
Pixel Orbiter - you want to turn this OFF during calibration for sure. For real-life viewing, I personally not too worry about IR so I leave it OFF... If you worry about it, you probably want to turn it ON. I say a personal taste.
post #11190 of 16725 Old 01-21-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:

I find SillySally's settings to offer better whites then some of the others but no way near LED white.

Did you try starting in Vivid mode and then turning some of the unneeded crap off. That might get you closer to what you are looking for, at least for sports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page