Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 376 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11251 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41

Quick question, with this weather on the east coast ALL of the local channels have HUGE borders across the hole bottom of the screen with HUGE logos all over the place while they run scrolling school closings etc. Told the wife she couldn't watch those shows the new VT unless she kept changing the channel every now and again. This morning she told me she would rather have a smaller TV or any TV she didn't have to worry about this "crap" on. Yesterday there was some slight IR noticeable, ran the screen wipe and now it's gone.

Suggestions on what picture settings to put it on for her (a "Momma Setting" ....she can't tell the difference anyway and could care less) to help reduce chances of IR/Burn in? For now I've just put it on Standard, with most everything ON, including Pixel Orbiter, and reduced Sharpness to zero.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

I hear you Scott - not only is side fading (viewing angle) hard to see in the store, but vertical banding as well (See my profile pic of my samsung for a good example of that). I think the tremendous amount of light hitting the screen/filter makes it near impossible to see the issue. At home, even a bright room, will have a lot less light hitting the screen. Thank God we ended up with the right panels one way or another though! biggrin.gif

My feeling is that a lot of this has to do with the overhead lighting in the big box/warehouse stores. It can be very deceptive in that it may not look as bright as it really is in the stores and the fact fact that the lighting is pretty uniform helps to foster the illusion that LED sets are better. Once you get these sets home in lighting that doesn't blare down from the ceiling, you do notice the flaws. The deficient viewing angles of most LEDs can be masked in the stores to some degree but not in your house. I found this out the hard way with my briefly owned Sony 55W900. After getting it home, I realized that Sony has made almost no progress in addressing the very narrow viewing angles that have plagued its sets for years. The W900 ended up not being worth the 2K that I paid for it.
post #11253 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Sorry, just woke up. Overlooked one of the decimal places. redface.gif

That measurement was the black level on an LG OLED that ChadB and I were farting around with a couple months ago. smile.gif It's about the bottom of the K10-A ability, but read the same number very consistently.
vinnie97 likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11254 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 58
A quick question for everyone. When professional calibrators work on a set, do they normally go into the service menu, make adjustments to the drivers and then use the CMS settings or if a set does have 10 point CMS, do they just use this?
post #11255 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

A quick question for everyone. When professional calibrators work on a set, do they normally go into the service menu, make adjustments to the drivers and then use the CMS settings or if a set does have 10 point CMS, do they just use this?

Depends on the display. Some require SM adjustments. Most new displays do not, the VT60 included. It has everything needed in the User Menu.

Buzz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11256 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

You didn't answer my question tongue.gif

For someone who is not going to pay for a calibration, what is the difference whether they use THX Cinema or someone eles's calibrated settings? How would THX Cinema be any more correct on out TV then someone else's settings?

The thing is, whatever settings you use or even sticking with THX out of the box, there will be substantial drift over time.

Here is my initial cal done by Chad after about 400 hours and you can see the significant before and after. I was using THX beforehand.

Panasonic65VT60ISFNight.pdf 1298k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Panasonic65VT60ISFNight.pdf (1.27 MB, 38 views)

post #11257 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Liked: 10
I received my 65VT60 from Amazon and the screen had cracks in several places mad.gif
Any suggestions?
post #11258 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

The thing is, whatever settings you use or even sticking with THX out of the box, there will be substantial drift over time.

Here is my initial cal done by Chad after about 400 hours and you can see the significant before and after. I was using THX beforehand.

Panasonic65VT60ISFNight.pdf 1298k .pdf file
Yeah, I get all that. I was just saying for people they do not get a calibration using someone else's settings might actually look better then using the default settings but people don't like to share because each panel is different which means there is no advantage to using THX mode as it was not calibrated for your particular panel.

Am I making sense? It all makes sense in my head what I am trying to say. lol
post #11259 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, I get all that. I was just saying for people they do not get a calibration using someone else's settings might actually look better then using the default settings but people don't like to share because each panel is different which means there is no advantage to using THX mode as it was not calibrated for your particular panel.

Someone posted measurements he did for his VT out of the box in THX vs D-Nice settings vs others. If I recall, they were all relatively close. You really just have to go by what looks best to you at that point.

post #11260 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchersDad View Post

Quick question, with this weather on the east coast ALL of the local channels have HUGE borders across the hole bottom of the screen with HUGE logos all over the place while they run scrolling school closings etc. Told the wife she couldn't watch those shows the new VT unless she kept changing the channel every now and again. This morning she told me she would rather have a smaller TV or any TV she didn't have to worry about this "crap" on. Yesterday there was some slight IR noticeable, ran the screen wipe and now it's gone.

Suggestions on what picture settings to put it on for her (a "Momma Setting" ....she can't tell the difference anyway and could care less) to help reduce chances of IR/Burn in? For now I've just put it on Standard, with most everything ON, including Pixel Orbiter, and reduced Sharpness to zero.

My Dish DVR has a FORMAT button which scrolls through stretch and Zoom modes, I usually set that to Zoom which in many cases gets the logo and scrolling bars off the viewable screen. GF love HGTV and can watch it for hours on end, so I have her trained to zoom it in so the HGTV logo is not on the screen, works great.
post #11261 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 398
Its funny how my wife is spoiled now too. She's asking why peoples faces look messed up on other relatives tv's and why things look gray. I just keep pointing back to the calibration that Dnice did. She's onboard for always getting our sets calibrated now. Complete 180 from her initial impression of the calibration idea lol
cockatiel likes this.
post #11262 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Its funny how my wife is spoiled now too. She's asking why peoples faces look messed up on other relatives tv's and why things look gray. I just keep pointing back to the calibration that Dnice did. She's onboard for always getting our sets calibrated now. Complete 180 from her initial impression of the calibration idea lol

My girlfriend notices that too. She has my previous calibrated ST30 and between that and my VT60, she always picks up on how jacked up other relatives' LEDs displays look (blown out contrast, way over saturated color, soap opera effect settings, Vivid mode like, etc.).

This is what I keep telling people thinking about a cal - once you get it done and get used to it, there is no going back. smile.gif
cockatiel likes this.

post #11263 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

This is what i do to prevent my GF from getting IR. Use the zoom format, go into the menu, I think it's labeled screen settings, there's a zoom adjustment in there. You can increase/decrease the zoom and move it left to right. Set it to where it cuts off the ticker and channel logos of the channels she watches the most. Also, keep contrast around 60.
post #11264 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Someone posted measurements he did for his VT out of the box in THX vs D-Nice settings vs others. If I recall, they were all relatively close. You really just have to go by what looks best to you at that point.

Now if only we could get them onboard with 4 subs and extra speakers for wides and rears then it'd be perfect biggrin.gif
CatchersDad likes this.
post #11265 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by onepanda View Post

I received my 65VT60 from Amazon and the screen had cracks in several places mad.gif
Any suggestions?

Send it back? Cry?
post #11266 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Any suggestions?

There seems to be more reports of this lately - but maybe just because the remainders are selling fast so more issues to be heard.

Not many options left. You could probably find another one elsewhere, but at higher price.

post #11267 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any suggestions?
See is Amazon will give you a deal on the F8500.
post #11268 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would be a bit wary on the F8500 right now as some people have measured significantly higher blacks than where the display was at initially. Not sure if this was a firmware screw-up or something else going.

post #11269 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

there's another type of zoom that works well for logos but without chopping off lots of the picture. The HD sizes 1 and 2 - one is overscan and the other is full screen. If you periodically switch between these two modes you can alleviate a lot of logo IR since it shifts the logos by a considerable amount on the screen without butchering your content. I just switch mine every few weeks. I used to have a logo IR'd in pretty well, but after a few months of this its no longer there and I can't make anything out.
CatchersDad likes this.
post #11270 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:

Lol! No suggestions but this is the exact reason my last purchase for a living room tv was an LCD.

Honestly, all this fervor over IR is interesting to me a since rarely taken any precautions and have yet to see much persistent IR with any of my previous panasonics. The only time I did was when a DVD menu had been left on the screen for who knows how long-- the inactivity function turned my panasonic off, thank god, or it could've been worse. After that I decided that plasma was no longer suitable for 'general use' and switched to a cheap LCD in the living room.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #11271 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Because of the substantial drift over time, how often should a display be calibrated...every year, every other year?
post #11272 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would be a bit wary on the F8500 right now as some people have measured significantly higher blacks than where the display was at initially. Not sure if this was a firmware screw-up or something else going.
That's interesting. I would still probably take it over other options out there right now.

How bad are they measuring and is it consistent with everyone that took an update? If it is, that is at least fixable.
post #11273 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post

Because of the substantial drift over time, how often should a display be calibrated...every year, every other year?

Depends on usage, display, how much you notice things and how much they bother you if you start to notice drifting.

Some people prefer every six months or so, others once per year, and some even go longer than that.

Phosphor displays do tend to drift a bit faster than LED from what I hear.

post #11274 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's interesting. I would still probably take it over other options out there right now.

How bad are they measuring and is it consistent with everyone that took an update? If it is, that is at least fixable.

It seems to be happening across the board on this year's Samsungs. One guy measured his 51F5300 and the MLL doubled from the time he got it. Another guy mentioned something similar. Chad measured some F8500s and they were up quite a bit, don't know of the exact numbers.

post #11275 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

Send it back? Cry?

Looks like I will be sending it back since Amazon has 0 in stock and cannot send me a replacement. Though, does anyone know if a cracked screen would be covered under Panasonic's warranty?
post #11276 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 10:55 AM

Liked: 49
Scale of 1-10 how difficult is it to do your own calibration? ControlCal offers software and equipment in bundles that seem to cost about the same as one pro cal. Is a regular person more likely to make the display worse, or is it something that can be done with a reasonable amount of success right from the start?

With 3 plasmas in the house now it might be a worthwhile investment if it isn't too much trouble.
post #11277 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

No, not really. What works for one display works for one display. If you feel like wasting your time, here they are....

MYVT60HDMI1001HoursCalibrationSummaryDetailed_AVS.pdf 457k .pdf file

MYVT60HDMI1001HoursAdvancedColorManagementReport_AVS.pdf 383k .pdf file

MYVT60HDMI1PRO1FullCalibration001Hours.xml 3k .xml file
What mode did you calibrate this in? Curious because of the contrast level of 88.
post #11278 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like I will be sending it back since Amazon has 0 in stock and cannot send me a replacement. Though, does anyone know if a cracked screen would be covered under Panasonic's warranty?
No it won't. If it did they would make a lot of people with young kids breath easier. lol
post #11279 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

No, not really. What works for one display works for one display. If you feel like wasting your time, here they are....

MYVT60HDMI1001HoursCalibrationSummaryDetailed_AVS.pdf 457k .pdf file

MYVT60HDMI1001HoursAdvancedColorManagementReport_AVS.pdf 383k .pdf file

MYVT60HDMI1PRO1FullCalibration001Hours.xml 3k .xml file PRO1FullCalibration001Hours.xml (3k. xml file)
What mode did you calibrate this in? Curious because of the contrast level of 88.

What does the Contrast setting have to do with the mode??????

88 is the point where further increases failed to increase display luminance output while being double checked to ensure the setting does not clip R, G, B, or W.

Buzz

post #11280 of 14963 Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

You didn't answer my question tongue.gif

For someone who is not going to pay for a calibration, what is the difference whether they use THX Cinema or someone eles's calibrated settings? How would THX Cinema be any more correct on out TV then someone else's settings?

This is an excellent line of questions Eric poses which continue to not really be addressed. I'm not a calibrator but logically it seems to me that the THX settings are based on some baseline standard. Someone's settings that have resulted from a calibration are based on their specific set n a specific set of conditions and are dependent on the calibrator's skill, etc. So, if for example under those conditions, a deficit of red is detected, than those calibrated settings contain compensation for that and will look overly red on someone's set that doesn't have that same red deficit. I think this explains why trying multiple peoples' settings is like chasing one's tail.
eric3316 likes this.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page