Excellent Smart TV platform

Highly effective remote app

Well designed menus and remote control

Attractive design and excellent build quality
Cons

Some DFC

Stand doesn't swivel

Fans might bother some

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-VT65-VT60-TX-P55VT65B-P50VT65B-P65VT65B-3D-Plasma-TV_507/Review.html

See less See more
#7,501 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...ad-no-street-price-talk/7450_50#post_24026718

What do you guys clean your screens with? On my old CRT RPTV I have used Sprayway and Stoner's glass cleaner (in the aerosol can) non-amonia based and I know Sprayway is used on the coated RPTV lenses with no issues. However the sales person in Best Buy was trying to tell me last night that I should only use their special cleaner solution on them because some glass cleaners have alcohol in them that could damage the screen. It sounds to me like she was just trying to get me to buy the $8 bottle of screen cleaner but I have no idea. I just know the manual says at most to use a very diluted mild dish soap solution.

While I used to hardly ever have to clean my screen, unfortunately the addition of a Boxer to our household who likes to "shake himself out" in front of the TV tends to result in splattered drool/etc. on the screen occasionally.
Use this .

#7,503 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc351  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/7440#post_24024821

Hey Guys,

Just picked up my 60" from Best Buy and started running the Dnice slides. After I got everything going I stepped back about 3-5 feet just to see how it looked with the slides running and to see if anything weird was going on. I noticed a dead pixel..clear as day from 5 feet away on all the brighter slides (red, white, green, etc).

Also, there seems to be a fair amount of buzzing on the white to grey slides and the tone/buzz changes with color/slide change...is that normal? Not the fan noise buzzing that people complain about. That is a different noise, barely noticeable. (Note my build date is Oct 2013)

I really don't want a dead pixel on a $2k plus TV (even though I didn't pay that HA!). Have you guys had any problems with dead pixels? Best Buy should take it back/exchange it, but I am also wondering if they would just knock some money off. I could probably live with it if they made it monetarily worth my while. Anyone had success with something like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/7440#post_24024843

The panel "buzz" with bright screen is common. If its barely audible with slides, i doubt you'd notice it with audio.

The dead pixel, personally i couldn't live with it. Knowing its there, my eyes would be drawn to it constantly. However, i don't believe you can return for one dead pixel, i think there's a minimum of like 7. I could be wrong about this and best buy may be better with their warranty, after all they accept returns for image retention and burn in!

I spoke with the customer service manager at Best Buy and he wants me to bring it in...ugh. That thing is not fun to move or (un)pack. Anyway, he said he would work with me on a possibly taking something off the price or just out right exchange it. In my mind, Im thinking, i would need at least 10% off to make that dead pixel bearable, what do you guys think? I got this TV because I originally wanted the ST60, but once Black Friday rolled around and no ST60 deals, but mega VT60 deals, I jumped on it for a bit more money. So the little extra takes me down to the $1600 range which is closer to what I wanted to originally spend. But, now that I have the TV and the money is spent...Im not sure down the road if the dead pixel will drive me crazy and become an eye magnet. FYI, the living room viewing distance is about 8-10 feet. I can still notice the dead pixel at 8 feet away with the brighter slides..

#7,506 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/7470#post_24027369

The VT60 isn't brighter than the ST50. If it was, it was just a matter of different Contrast and/or gamma settings or the picture mode that you used on the ST50 was limiting your brightness. The ST50's peak brightness is higher than the VT60 or VT50, and is about the same as the ST60. Or perhaps you viewed them in a brighter room and the VT60's superior filter made it appear brighter because it was less washed out by ambient light.
Now, when you speak of the VT not being brighter than the ST, I don't doubt it. I also agree with your statements that the ST50 is brighter than the VT50 or VT60. I have consistently read and have noticed in the stores that the VTs are not as bright as the STs.

As far as the ST50 being brighter than that VT60? I wonder, but will leave that verdict to videophiles such as yourself and others.

I only disagree with your statement that the ST50 is brighter than the ST60 because of the following: 

I own the 60ST50. Right next to it with the exact tv signal on at the same time, I had a 60ST60 turned on. Both sets were set with similar gamma, contrast etc. The newer 60 was def. brighter. I also did this with the UT50 that was a cheaper set than the ST50 but came out AFTER the ST50.  

My ST50 was a line released by Panasonic first: Least bright, least sharp, least black levels, least dimensional depth- more flat looking.

My UT50 was a line released by Panasonic second: Slightly brighter, slightly sharper, slightly better black levels, slightly more dimensional depth.

My ST60 was a line released by Panasonic the next year: Def brighter, def. sharper, def better black levels, def more dimensional look. -Quite noticable on all counts.

Each tv reflects improvements in the Panasonic tv line as newer sets were released. (Yes I know that the UT50 was a budget tv but the only thing it lacked was a screen filter and the motion processing I didn't like as much. It had in it improvements in panel tech that would be taken even further in 2013 with the 60 line.)

I had all three of these sets in my place lined up 3 in a row with similar gamma (no gamma on the UT), contrast, brightness etc adjusted accordingly, comparing, adjusting, re-comparing, and re-adjusting. I did this because these issues were very important to me.

This is why I am also wondering about the VT50 being brighter than the newer year model VT60. But again, you guys probably know best. After all, the original poster about this said he had both the VT50 and the VT60 and the VT50 was brighter. So logically, his personal experience and direct comparisions should be as valid as my comparisons of the ST50 and the ST60. But again, one would think, given my direct observations about the older to newer year models, it would also apply to the 2012 VT50 vs 2013VT60 line.

Surprisingly, I ended up keeping only the ST50 because I actually like the flatter more film-like look of the ST. I also thought that the motion processing was the most natural and the least video looking. 

Anyway, just my 1 cent worth.

I really appreciate getting to read everyone's posts about this.

#7,507 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/7500#post_24028732

^Dump it! I had a faulty pixel develop on a ZT60 at 3 months into ownership, fortunately in the bottom left-hand corner and very hard for me to make out at 5 feet with content, much less 10 feet (seating distance).

Ok that's the way I was leaning. Just need to hear it from some of the pros.

#7,508 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc351  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...ad-no-street-price-talk/7500_50#post_24028676

I spoke with the customer service manager at Best Buy and he wants me to bring it in...ugh. That thing is not fun to move or (un)pack. Anyway, he said he would work with me on a possibly taking something off the price or just out right exchange it. In my mind, Im thinking, i would need at least 10% off to make that dead pixel bearable, what do you guys think? I got this TV because I originally wanted the ST60, but once Black Friday rolled around and no ST60 deals, but mega VT60 deals, I jumped on it for a bit more money. So the little extra takes me down to the $1600 range which is closer to what I wanted to originally spend. But, now that I have the TV and the money is spent...Im not sure down the road if the dead pixel will drive me crazy and become an eye magnet. FYI, the living room viewing distance is about 8-10 feet. I can still notice the dead pixel at 8 feet away with the brighter slides..
Are you absolutely sure it's a dead pixel? For you to see it on an all-white screen would have to mean that the red, blue, and green sub-pixels all went out in the same spot. That's not very likely. I'm not saying you're lying or seeing things, but are you sure it's not dirt or something else?

I'm guessing that vinnie97 has a dead sub-pixel (either red, green or blue, but not all three at once) -- dead sub-pixels are much harder to see than full dead pixels.

#7,509 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/7500#post_24028794

Now, when you speak of the VT not being brighter than the ST, I don't doubt it. I also agree with your statements that the ST50 is brighter than the VT50 or VT60. I have consistently read and have noticed in the stores that the VTs are not as bright as the STs.

As far as the ST50 being brighter than that VT60? I wonder, but will leave that verdict to videophiles such as yourself and others.

I only disagree with your statement that the ST50 is brighter than the ST60 because of the following: 

I own the 60ST50. Right next to it with the exact tv signal on at the same time, I had a 60ST60 turned on. Both sets were set with similar gamma, contrast etc. The newer 60 was def. brighter. I also did this with the UT50 that was a cheaper set than the ST50 but came out AFTER the ST50.  

My ST50 was a line released by Panasonic first: Least bright, least sharp, least black levels, least dimensional depth- more flat looking.

My UT50 was a line released by Panasonic second: Slightly brighter, slightly sharper, slightly better black levels, slightly more dimensional depth.

My ST60 was a line released by Panasonic the next year: Def brighter, def. sharper, def better black levels, def more dimensional look. -Quite noticable on all counts.

Each tv reflects improvements in the Panasonic tv line as newer sets were released. (Yes I know that the UT50 was a budget tv but the only thing it lacked was a screen filter and the motion processing I didn't like as much. It had in it improvements in panel tech that would be taken even further in 2013 with the 60 line.)

I had all three of these sets in my place lined up 3 in a row with similar gamma (no gamma on the UT), contrast, brightness etc adjusted accordingly, comparing, adjusting, re-comparing, and re-adjusting. I did this because these issues were very important to me.

This is why I am also wondering about the VT50 being brighter than the newer year model VT60. But again, you guys probably know best. After all, the original poster about this said he had both the VT50 and the VT60 and the VT50 was brighter. So logically, his personal experience and direct comparisions should be as valid as my comparisons of the ST50 and the ST60. But again, one would think, given my direct observations about the older to newer year models, it would also apply to the 2012 VT50 vs 2013VT60 line.

Surprisingly, I ended up keeping only the ST50 because I actually like the flatter more film-like look of the ST. I also thought that the motion processing was the most natural and the least video looking. 

Anyway, just my 1 cent worth.

I really appreciate getting to read everyone's posts about this.
I didn't say the ST50 was brighter than the ST60, I said they are about the same. I have seen dozens of calibration reports and reviews of both sets and they're both capable of 50-some ftL peak white, which is about what I am able to get on my 60ST50.

No offense but your comparison isn't very technical. Gamma can't be eyeballed. If the ST50 and ST60 were calibrated to their respective peak white with a similar gamma, they will look similar in terms of overall brightness.

I don't really trust Cnet's reviews, but they use the same light meter and window size for all of their reviews, so I trust that their luminance measurements are at least somewhat close. Both the ST50 and ST60 they reviewed were 55" panels, so that removes that variable. This is a quote from their ST60 review:
Quote:
Compared with many LCDs, the ST60 has a limited maximum light output. On their brightest picture settings with a window pattern, the ST60 and ST50 measured 56 and 61fL (footlamberts) respectively, while the Sony and Panasonic LCDs hit 99 and 76. With a full-screen pattern, those same numbers drop to 13 and 14 (ST60 and ST50) and 100 and 106 (Sony and Panasonic LCDs).

All I'm saying is that in a like-for-like comparison, they will be similar. The ST60 has the advantage of having far more control over the gamma with the 10pt gamma gain and the ST50 only has a 2pt white balance with a gamma slider.

#7,510 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/7470#post_24027522

It's posts like these that have me a bit worried. Whatever happened to ''the ST/ VT 60s have much better overall video processing and sharper PQ on 1080i and 720p tv content compared to last year's 50 series'' quotes that I remember seeing from Randy and others on this thread a while back? Has the consensus changed? Even a slight improvement on this would justify the 65VT60 that's being delivered to my home this weekend.

Agreed with you 5150zx that blu ray playback is simply stunning on the ST50.

I don't think anyone here is saying that the ST or VT60 isn't sharper, blacker, more dimensional, or isn't without amazing video processing. 

There just seems to be some disagreement over the brightness of the 50s vs the 60s. I and some others think they are def. brighter and others who own them both say the 50's are brighter.

I realize that you aren't commenting on my posts, but I know people have read them and I think it is time for me to clear up any confusion and contradiction that I the newbee unintentionally may have brought to anyone on this forum with a statement you all already know without me having to write it:

I AM PROBABLY THE ONLY ONE ON ANY AND ALL OF THE POSTS THAT HAPPENS TO PREFER THE LOOK OF THE 50 SERIES.  No, not happy with the 50 series; PREFERS the 50 series. You are all probably stunned that I MYSELF realize this. Trust me, I do.

As a new member to this post, I sincerely hope that I am contributing some good insights, experiences, and observations. But I in no way am trying to get anyone to agree with my love of the 50 series. It's a Sargon 1 thing.

I write a lot about it, not to convince anyone, but because I am passionate about it. Assaults on a film-like cinema experience are all around me: LED TV, 4KTV, 8K on the horizon, 48fps movies etc. It's why I love plasma tvs - INCLUDING the 60 series. Again, I just prefer the 50 look.

I like every movie, blu-ray, and 60hz/30fps tv signal to look like FILM. For me, less 3d, less dimensional, less sharp, less smooth motion creates the illusion of film on both new and old tv shows etc. etc. For me, less is more... SO much more.

People on this post love a film look too of course! It would be an ignorant insult to say otherwise. But they also seem to love that crisp, live-presence look the 60 series tv provides with the tv signal too. And I respect that. It isn't really a conflict in tastes either. TV is TV and blu-ray is blu ray (film).

Maybe when my 65VT60 comes in tomorrow, I will learn to love it best too. But for now, live-presence translates for me, into 60hz "video" look. I owned an ST60 briefly and returned it. So maybe I'm just "used" to the look of my ST50".

(He's getting a 65VT60? Nothing is going to keep me away from that 65 inch cinematic-emersion size or that VT deep black level glow.)

So nothing has changed around here (I don't think... well I'm new here), nor should it change. But since I am a new-be, perhaps more veteran members can speak to this issue of concern that you voiced.

I just appreciate all of you (my new friends) for allowing me to voice my personal preferences without ridicule. But I also guess that many of you are on board with my hatred of LED, 48fps movies (The Hobbit), and possibly a tiny few - 4K.

Thanks!

Sargon 1

#7,511 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/7500#post_24028732

^Dump it! I had a faulty pixel develop on a ZT60 at 3 months into ownership, fortunately in the bottom left-hand corner and very hard for me to make out at 5 feet with content, much less 10 feet (seating distance).

I agree. Tell the manager if you're going to take the time and effort to haul it back to the store, you want it replaced.

#7,512 ·
Is there any way to get the message "the author of this post is in your blocked list", to stop showing? Almost as annoying as his posts. The point of blocking is to actually block messages from appearing. To me this is unacceptable. Anyone have experience with this?

#7,513 ·

Quote:

fortunately in the bottom left-hand corner and very hard for me to make out at 5 feet with content, much less 10 feet (seating distance).
Exactly

#7,514 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...ad-no-street-price-talk/7500_50#post_24029016

Is there any way to get the message "the author of this post is in your blocked list", to stop showing? Almost as annoying as his posts. The point of blocking is to actually block messages from appearing. To me this is unacceptable. Anyone have experience with this?
Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I bet I know who you're blocking (unless it's me
). Looks like we might have a new SeLfMaDe111985 in town (and the thread's getting constipated again)!

#7,516 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/7500#post_24028957

Are you absolutely sure it's a dead pixel? For you to see it on an all-white screen would have to mean that the red, blue, and green sub-pixels all went out in the same spot. That's not very likely. I'm not saying you're lying or seeing things, but are you sure it's not dirt or something else?

I'm guessing that vinnie97 has a dead sub-pixel (either red, green or blue, but not all three at once) -- dead sub-pixels are much harder to see than full dead pixels.
Yes I can see it on red, green,blue and white. Definitely not dirt on the outside and I highly doubt it on the inside, unless that spec of sort is in the same shape as the surrounding pixels

It's definitely a black dot shape in the same shape as the surrounding pixels. It's hard to see on the grayish slides and the blue takes a bit of effort but all other colors you can find it with next to zero effort.

I didn't know there were sub pixels. Can you elaborate some more on this and why it's rare to see the black dot in the same spot. Thanks.

#7,517 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/7500#post_24029122

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I bet I know who you're blocking (unless it's me
). Looks like we might have a new SeLfMaDe111985 in town (and the thread's getting constipated again)!

I agree, except the constipated part....the sh** is overflowing.....in a LONG obnoxious way!

#7,518 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/7500#post_24028980

I didn't say the ST50 was brighter, I said it was about the same. I have seen dozens of calibration reports and reviews of both sets and they're both capable of 50-some ftL peak white, which is about what I am able to get on my 60ST50.

No offense but your comparison isn't very technical. Gamma can't be eyeballed. If the ST50 and ST60 were calibrated to their respective peak white with a similar gamma, they will look similar in terms of overall brightness.

I don't really trust Cnet's reviews, but they use the same light meter and window size for all of their reviews, so I trust that their luminance measurements are at least somewhat close. Both the ST50 and ST60 they reviewed were 55" panels, so that removes that variable. This is a quote from their ST60 review:

All I'm saying is that in a like-for-like comparison, they will be similar. The ST60 has the advantage of having far more control over the gamma with the 10pt gamma gain and the ST50 only has a 2pt white balance with a gamma slider.
I'm not offended and a really appreciate your careful input. While my "direct comparisons" are a lot better than seeing these tvs at different times, in different places, with different feeds, or spaced apart in stores, I cannot dispute the technical, verifiable, objective, proof that you bring to the discussion. Thanks again for the input. It's posts like yours that raises the discussion from various perceptions and opinions to the level of verifiable objective facts.

Sargon 1

#7,519 ·
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/7500#post_24029155

Why wouldn't they just deliver you a new one and take the old one back at that time?

I don't know. I originally requested this but the guy said since none of the stores have it in stock locally it would have to come from the warehouse to the store and that would take a few days. He said they couldnt deliver direct to my house. Kinda odd. There is a different manager there tomorrow so I'm just gonna ask to have a new one delivered and swapped out.

#7,520 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-...hread-no-street-price-talk/7500#post_24029178

I agree, except the constipated part....the sh** is overflowing.....in a LONG obnoxious way!
Are you jconjason and Schwa talking about me? I don't think I'm obnoxious, but you have all been very patient with me and my LONG posts and I am new in town (a newbee to your awesome community here).

I don't mean to stick my nose into something that isn't my business and might not have to do with me, but out of respect for all of you, I need to ask.

I remember the original person you are talking about. He was picky about everything and could never be happy with anything he had. He also seemed to ignore advice people would give him and he seemed kind of rude.

I apologize about my long detailed posts. I was just so excited to share my perceptions and experiences and love for plasma this last year.

I also wanted to be helpful to those asking questions. I didn't expect my efforts to be spoke of as "the sh** is overflowing .... in a LONG obnoxious way". I'm truly sorry that a created a level of frustration for you both that caused you to block me and speak of me in this way. Had I known, I would have kept my posts much shorter. As far as being obnoxious, I will leave that up to this community to decide if ANY of my 27 posts had an obnoxious tone. I thought my posts were at least polite, appreciative, and respectful.

Out of respect for you, I won't post on this site again unless I hear feedback about this.

You guys are a great group of people, including jconjason and Schwa. You long term members deserve to have your posts flow in a manner that works best for you. Because of this, I can't risk possibly ruining this site further. When I referred to everyone at this site in previous posts as friends that I appreciate, I really meant it and still do. 

A word of special thanks to Barbados11 for his kind word of appreciation for my long post input on his tv size decision.

You guys are the best. A highly intelligent and artistic group of people. In other words, people who love plasma. Thanks for the ride.

I really had hoped it wasn't me.

Sargon 1