Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 385 - AVS Forum
First ... 383  384  385 386  387  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
DavidHir's Avatar DavidHir 08:23 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

There are a lot more people scared of the service menu then you think.

And in most cases they should be scared. I've seen posts on the site where people went into the service menu only to make their display permanently inoperable - especially back in the CRT RPTV days where you had to enter the service menu to calibrate and make geometry and convergence corrections.

Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 09:00 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The latest OLED printer handles a sheet of glass that allows six 55" panels per sheet. A 77" panel is going to take the whole sheet, and maybe more.

$$$ biggrin.gif
I would not mind a 110" 4K OLED ( Monitor Only, with external box for hookups, so the the unit was 3/16 of an inch thick from top to bottom with two cords coming out the back. One for power, one cord going to the external brain box like the old Pioneer PDP-5030HD ).

It would probably weigh 100 pounds.......
vinnie97's Avatar vinnie97 09:07 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjb View Post

Is there even a way to control ABL in the service menu? One of the reasons given in this thread for ABL is so the panel can be made super thin without overheating; why would the service menu have a setting that would let the set cook itself? I would think if it was possible this thread would have been filled with posts on how to defeat it.
I'm pretty sure there is. It was only recently that this setting was begun to be tweaked by some enterprising Kuro owners on their own sets. Long-term, it could spell trouble and shorten the panel's lifespan of course.
agorena123's Avatar agorena123 09:17 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

I believe ARC is HDMI2, so make sure you turn VIERA link ON, and then in Pioneer, you will also need to turn HDMI control or CEC (or something similar.. they all have different names, sadly). once you did that, then you should get the sound coming out from your AVR/speaker when you have netflix or any apps that are native to TV. When you are watching DirectTV and blu-ray, it should all work as it is using the INPUT as your sound source so nothing need to change there.

I did ARC on HDMI 2 for my Marantz which worked well, but the Marantz kept getting stuck and not switching to other sources after syncing with TV. Did not happen all the time so it was tough to diagnose. I took advice from Marantz forum and ended up running optical cable from vt60 to Marantz to solve the problem.
SeLfMaDe111985's Avatar SeLfMaDe111985 09:20 AM 01-24-2014
So I have a nice collection of BD...and I hear Avatar which I have is one of the best BD to have for both 2D and 3D reference. Anyone have a specific BD they really enjoy that is a ratio of 1:78:1 or 1:85:1 that really shows off this set? Wonder if plant earth would be a good buy
busbeepbeep's Avatar busbeepbeep 09:37 AM 01-24-2014
Of course it's an uncharacteristic 30 degree day in New Orleans on my delivery day. Supposed to be here in an hour. Just hoping it's not cracked/damaged. So what's the consensus? Don't power on at all until temperature acclimates? Just make a note on the paperwork and sign off?
Mean Gene's Avatar Mean Gene 10:05 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

So I have a nice collection of BD...and I hear Avatar which I have is one of the best BD to have for both 2D and 3D reference. Anyone have a specific BD they really enjoy that is a ratio of 1:78:1 or 1:85:1 that really shows off this set? Wonder if plant earth would be a good buy

Pacific Rim and Pan's Labyrinth
Cal1981's Avatar Cal1981 10:16 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:

If you have an Android or Apple device, the Panasonic remote app allows you to calibrate custom mode without dealing with menu timeouts or ControlCal. You can only do custom mode but the app lets you save settings and upload them to the tv, so you could have multiple calibrations and just upload the one you want to use.
I looked at the remote app on my Android tablet and saw that it appears to have a pretty sophisticated calibration function. Is there any decent documentation on how to actually use the calibration program?
tinate's Avatar tinate 10:24 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinate View Post

I had some pretty noticeable IR from Call of Duty after several sessions of playing with varying content in between. I ran several hours in the evening yesterday of whole screen/black white flipping and left the screen wiper on the vt60 on overnight. Some of it is diminished, but some of it still has a magenta hue that I'd like to get rid of. Is the WoW pixel flipper the best way, or do other methods works just as well? I've seen some posts that claim that a plain white screen helps. I have this black/white flipping mp4 that I can run. It probably flips at 10Hz or so. Any more proven options?

Quoting this because it got lost in the stand talk. I ran the black/white slides more last night and still have IR. I thought burn in was a thing of the past? Shouldn't this go away eventually?
dswierenga's Avatar dswierenga 11:08 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post

I don't know if you have to use the ARC or the Optical, but either way, you won't get 5.1 audio, only stereo.

I don't think this is true. I use ARC from my 65VT60 to my Pioneer VSX-70 and get 5.1 from Netflix.
fight4yu's Avatar fight4yu 11:17 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswierenga View Post

I don't think this is true. I use ARC from my 65VT60 to my Pioneer VSX-70 and get 5.1 from Netflix.

I think the correct way to say that is "you will only get stereo for the sources that is coming from HDMI input. i.e. If you have a blu-ray player going into your HDMI1, you will NOT get 5.1 sound coming out of it in HDMI2. This is probably only a valid configuration unless you are running out of HDMI in your AVR. The other situation which is more likely is when people use soundbar so they use their TV as a switch instead. For internal apps like netflix, Vudu etc, with ARC, you will get 5.1 (not lossless though).
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 11:23 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I looked at the remote app on my Android tablet and saw that it appears to have a pretty sophisticated calibration function. Is there any decent documentation on how to actually use the calibration program?
I don't think the app is actually for calibrating itself, it is used to enter in your settings you already have.
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 11:25 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinate View Post

Quoting this because it got lost in the stand talk. I ran the black/white slides more last night and still have IR. I thought burn in was a thing of the past? Shouldn't this go away eventually?
Depending how bad it is, it can take hours, days and even months. You need to run something whenever the TV is not being used, Disney WOW disc has a pixel flipper and is favored by many here for IR treatment.
dpjb's Avatar dpjb 11:38 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

It isn't a calibration program, but you use it to change the values while performing a calibration. Much easier than using the remote and cheaper (free) than ControlCal. It could also be used to enter values determined by others (D-Nice, SS, Cnet) although the usefulness of that is questionable.
Codeman00's Avatar Codeman00 11:39 AM 01-24-2014
I watched a hockey game again last night and made the adjustment to Warm1 and then finally to Normal on my CNET Custom settings. Someone on here suggested that I would quickly get adjusted to the color difference. That person was write...the puck location on the ice was much clearer and sharper. Its amazing though that all of the on ice interviews/close ups look fine and anything off the ice (like commercials) look awful.

I compared the brightness and whiteness of my VT60 to my VT25 and there is definitely a difference. Interesting that ABL is just there for making the panel thicker? I personally would take a thicker panel to ditch the ABL...but I'm not in the norm I guess and still use the stand. Anyway...I'm glad to hear that others here deal with hockey watching the same way. It would be nice to have all of the perfect colors and white ice, but it is what is.
SeLfMaDe111985's Avatar SeLfMaDe111985 11:49 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

Pacific Rim and Pan's Labyrinth

Thanks
rlb4's Avatar rlb4 11:55 AM 01-24-2014
Quote:

It isn't a calibration program, but you use it to change the values while performing a calibration. Much easier than using the remote and cheaper (free) than ControlCal. It could also be used to enter values determined by others (D-Nice, SS, Cnet) although the usefulness of that is questionable.

Can the Panny app store different setting profiles and switch between them? That would be a good way to try and then tweak others settings.
Mean Gene's Avatar Mean Gene 12:01 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:

Thanks

Sorry forgot to mention Pan's Labyrinth is in Spanish with subtitles.

Also redbox Prisoners, great movie but long 2-1/2 hours...
htwaits's Avatar htwaits 12:03 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

As a passenger on SAS into Copenhagen in 1971 I felt a slight bump and thought they had lowered the flaps. I looked out the window and saw that we were on the ground in what seemed to me to be zero visibility. It was the best landing I've ever experienced. biggrin.gif

SAS, '71. had to be a DC8. Landing limits back then were a 200' ceiling and a half mile forward visibility, 100 and a quarter if specially equipped for CATII. From a pax seat you are correct - wouldn't see very much, and not a whole lot from the C/P either. lol
During my time in SAC (fifties) my view was always facing the rear from the flight deck (B-36). We lost a crew practicing instrument landings due to a perfect storm of human error. Them weren't the days.
Strjock81's Avatar Strjock81 01:15 PM 01-24-2014
RE: The IR concerns...A week ago today I picked up the 65VT60 display model from HHGregg, and in-store the IR didn't look too bad, but there was obviously IR from ESPN, but that had been playing recently so I thought it might be an easy wash. Brought it home and it looked WAY worse, and ran the scrolling screen wipe for 3 straight days, and thought it looked a little better afterwards. Ran zoomed-in BD content continuously when I wasn't using the set, and used it normally when I did use the set to watch TV. Have found some IR screen wash videos on YouTube I have been running nonstop when the TV isn't being watched, and alternate between a couple different ones. So basically for a week straight it has been showing a variety of full screen material, of many colors and patterns at high contrast, and it isn't going away.

God only knows how many hours this poor display sat with ESPN on the screen in Vivid mode at the store, but I am pretty sure the IR can safely be called "burn-in" at this point. I got a great deal on the TV and thought I would give it a try, but this is really stubborn. I don't notice it watching normal content but the ESPN ticker and logo are clearly visible after a week of bombing it with everything I can. The Food network logo is visible on red screens but nothing else. I will likely return it and get an F8500 if it doesn't get any better in the next week of efforts. But if I see it improving I will hang onto it.

Not complaining as I know this is a risk one takes buying a display model, but the price was right. Just throwing out some info for those of you out there in the same predicament as I.
dpjb's Avatar dpjb 01:15 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4 View Post

Can the Panny app store different setting profiles and switch between them? That would be a good way to try and then tweak others settings.

Yes, you can store each set of values and switch back and forth between them. I use the iPad app but assume the Android version works the same way. I had the Android version on my phone but find it easier to use the iPad.
dianebrat's Avatar dianebrat 01:18 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:

I found Avatar 3D to be one of the most impressive eye candy tests on my VT60 (and it passed with flying colors)
fmzip's Avatar fmzip 01:28 PM 01-24-2014
I just finished running the D-nice break in slide on my VT60.

I could have sworn I saw his settings posted on here somewhere but all I find with a google search is this and looks like I need some special software of some sort??

http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Eager to see this set running for the first time this evening!! smile.gif
Scott Oakley's Avatar Scott Oakley 01:38 PM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by dpjb View Post

If you have an Android or Apple device, the Panasonic remote app allows you to calibrate custom mode without dealing with menu timeouts or ControlCal. You can only do custom mode but the app lets you save settings and upload them to the tv, so you could have multiple calibrations and just upload the one you want to use.

Can someone tell me how to search for this app on an iPhone? Thank you.
herodrh's Avatar herodrh 01:38 PM 01-24-2014
If you are playing video games with bright stationary score boards and status panels (as pretty much they all do) and not mixing your viewing content with movies and so forth with less than 300 hours on your panel you are asking for it. Its pretty much been established here on AVS that these panels are highly susceptible to IR with less than 300 hours. If you are playing video games from day one I would say that you are abusing your panel. Playing movies and other content along with using your screen wiper for an extended period should eliminate the IR. Lets see what the more experienced members have to add to my post.
YzRacer's Avatar YzRacer 01:48 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strjock81 View Post

RE: The IR concerns...A week ago today I picked up the 65VT60 display model from HHGregg, and in-store the IR didn't look too bad, but there was obviously IR from ESPN, but that had been playing recently so I thought it might be an easy wash. Brought it home and it looked WAY worse, and ran the scrolling screen wipe for 3 straight days, and thought it looked a little better afterwards. Ran zoomed-in BD content continuously when I wasn't using the set, and used it normally when I did use the set to watch TV. Have found some IR screen wash videos on YouTube I have been running nonstop when the TV isn't being watched, and alternate between a couple different ones. So basically for a week straight it has been showing a variety of full screen material, of many colors and patterns at high contrast, and it isn't going away.

God only knows how many hours this poor display sat with ESPN on the screen in Vivid mode at the store, but I am pretty sure the IR can safely be called "burn-in" at this point. I got a great deal on the TV and thought I would give it a try, but this is really stubborn. I don't notice it watching normal content but the ESPN ticker and logo are clearly visible after a week of bombing it with everything I can. The Food network logo is visible on red screens but nothing else. I will likely return it and get an F8500 if it doesn't get any better in the next week of efforts. But if I see it improving I will hang onto it.

Not complaining as I know this is a risk one takes buying a display model, but the price was right. Just throwing out some info for those of you out there in the same predicament as I.

Sorry to hear about that! I thought content providers were getting better about not keeping a logo in the same place all the time but I guess ESPN always has some kind of graphic on the screen. I got a great deal on a display model at Best Buy right before Xmas, but it seems they were always playing 3d movies on it. My set has around 3000 hours and I don't see any signs of IR. Other than a broken HDMI2 (ARC) port I really can't complain, especially when I see what the set is going for online at this time!
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 02:10 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post

I just finished running the D-nice break in slide on my VT60.

I could have sworn I saw his settings posted on here somewhere but all I find with a google search is this and looks like I need some special software of some sort??

http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Eager to see this set running for the first time this evening!! smile.gif
You can open it with other programs. I open it on my Android phone. It just takes a little work in figuring out where everything goes.
fmzip's Avatar fmzip 02:13 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

You can open it with other programs. I open it on my Android phone. It just takes a little work in figuring out where everything goes.

Thanks, Just figured that out..

http://www.wikihow.com/View-XML-Files

As he has 3 different settings, one for nite, day 3D etc, is there a way to save all three on VT60?
XboxJuan's Avatar XboxJuan 02:20 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strjock81 View Post

I'd think back to back 10 hr days of running ESPN exclusively on Vivid mode ( 100 contrast ) would cause burn in, or best case scenario some extremely stubborn IR, multiply that by however many days BB ran it ( 20? 50? 100? ) and it's not looking good for that set. Sorry, but I think you're probably SOL.

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by herodrh View Post

If you are playing video games with bright stationary score boards and status panels (as pretty much they all do) and not mixing your viewing content with movies and so forth with less than 300 hours on your panel you are asking for it. Its pretty much been established here on AVS that these panels are highly susceptible to IR with less than 300 hours. If you are playing video games from day one I would say that you are abusing your panel. Playing movies and other content along with using your screen wiper for an extended period should eliminate the IR. Lets see what the more experienced members have to add to my post.

This is not correct. Your panel is as susceptible at 2hours as it is a 2,000. Your set is either more or less prone to IR rom day one. If you play games with static huds or scoreboards, try to keep it limited to a 4hr or less sesh at a time and watch full screen content in between sesh's.
fkenyon's Avatar fkenyon 02:27 PM 01-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Sleep tight.

Back to the VT60.

Now that I have both ownership and a lot of free time to learn the VT60 nuances it will be my pleasure to contribute here. The VT and it's brother ZT are the best displays of 2013 and perhaps 2014 as well. If your viewing environment is a brightly sunlit room you may not feel that way despite the effectiveness of the filters. In that case you need either a Samsung F8500 PDP or an LCD. Personally I can do with the VT/ZT because I find too many drawbacks in the other displays.

As Larry and I discussed above, the VT50 calibrates superbly. For those who don't care for the picture you're seeing it's a one percent chance your display is "broken" and ninety-nine percent that it's a display in need of calibration. You can do two thirds of this yourself via the basic controls, a free calibration disc, and even clean up some grayscale problems with the combination of your eyes and the two point grayscale (white balance) controls.

I am mostly satisfied with the image I'm seeing, but would like to be able to do the "two thirds of this..." . Care to post exactly how to do this? Are there step-by -step directions somewhere?
Tags: Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
First ... 383  384  385 386  387  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop