Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 388 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11611 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Just give it more time and you will grow to really like it. You're so used to a blown-out looking image that was so far from accurate, your eyes are now just getting acclimated to something much different (and much better) than before. Some people new to pro calibration experience this. When skin tones are no longer grossly saturated and not looking like cartoon characters, they sometimes ask, "What happened to the color?" I am still shaking my head at how bad the delta error was on what you had been watching.

There is no way calibration will make a difference either way with motion blur - unless there were specific changes made to your motion settings and/or 60hz vs 96hz on Blu-ray. If your motion settings have not changed since the calibration, then it's just psychological.

Thank you for your words and sentiments.
After you've lived with a calibrated set for a while, you will know you like it when you visit someone with a set (probably LCD/LED) in torch mode. Much of the value in a calibrated display is what you don't see. Things like sun burned or green tinted faces, luminous grass, no detail in very dark scenes, etc. Enjoy. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Today I was visiting a model home in a new housing development. On the list of the optional add-ons there was "Plasma pre-wiring $300". Does this mean that LED pre-wiring is free? If so, it must be another reason why plasmas bit the dust.

tongue.gif
post #11613 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 01:18 PM

Liked: 10
Well guys, I just found this on my 55VT60....

At first i thought it was a dead pixel, moving closer i thought it was dirt on the glass.. turns out, dirt INSIDE the set? Pretty sure Panasonic tech cant fix this and will have to replace my set... confused.gif
post #11614 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 01:41 PM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoShoBear View Post

Well guys, I just found this on my 55VT60....

At first i thought it was a dead pixel, moving closer i thought it was dirt on the glass.. turns out, dirt INSIDE the set? Pretty sure Panasonic tech cant fix this and will have to replace my set... confused.gif

Actually I had swapped out a set for dirt under the screen and was informed by some very experienced and knowledgable members on here that a tech CAN fix that for you and doesn't take long. Idk if you can get a swap at this point unless Panasonic itself has units stored
post #11615 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Today I was visiting a model home in a new housing development. On the list of the optional add-ons there was "Plasma pre-wiring $300". Does this mean that LED pre-wiring is free? If so, it must be another reason why plasmas bit the dust.

tongue.gif

No its because they didn't want to install a inferior product like a LCD in a custom home. 😎
post #11616 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

No its because they didn't want to install a inferior product like a LCD in a custom home. 😎

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #11617 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 69
Personally lcd has its place (and I know people where just kidding). But I fell I should say as much as ppasmas kill lcd for films. Lcd is what I use for gaming now. It is nice not having to eorry about image retintion or burn snd I can understand why the average person for this reason would go for lcd over plasma.
post #11618 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 03:26 PM

Liked: 16
Question about wall mounting a 60VT60 - I instruction manual says use an M8 screw but when I got one from Home Depot, it was too small a diameter. Has anyone run into this problem? Suggestions?
post #11619 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Here are the calibration reports for the work done by Chad B on my 65VT60. BTW, the before is from Cinema which basically had CNET settings, tweaked with WOW, and a gamma of 2.4. Had 600+ hours on the tv when the calibration was done.
XBR1165VT60Pro1bright.pdf 1334k .pdf file
XBR1165VT60Pro2reference.pdf 1334k .pdf file

For your reference mode (Pro2) did you request that gamma be calibrated to BT. 1886 or did Chad do that on his own?

Larry
post #11620 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma100 View Post

Question about wall mounting a 60VT60 - I instruction manual says use an M8 screw but when I got one from Home Depot, it was too small a diameter. Has anyone run into this problem? Suggestions?

Most of the time when you buy a wall mount, it comes with universal fasteners. That was the case with mine. If it doesn't , manual states them as you know otherwise it's a few trips to Home Depot if you can't get the right ones the first time , basically eyeball it and thread it by hand first to make sure it's not too long or short. You could be looking at the wrong fasteners in the manual, good luck.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #11621 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Most of the time when you buy a wall mount, it comes with universal fasteners. That was the case with mine. If it doesn't , manual states them as you know otherwise it's a few trips to Home Depot if you can't get the right ones the first time , basically eyeball it and thread it by hand first to make sure it's not too long or short. You could be looking at the wrong fasteners in the manual, good luck.

Hah. Guess you are right. I am reusing a wall mount from an previous TV. Looks like I need another trip to Home Depot!
post #11622 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 03:42 PM

To make things simple - if anyone has wall mounted their TV or plans to, could you let me know what size screw was used? Much appreciated.
post #11623 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
If anyone is looking for a reference blu ray black level torture disc for their VT60- Best buy has the Prometheus 2 disc bluray/ dvd for $5 smile.gif

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/prometheus-2-disc-blu-ray-disc/6668044.p?ref=199&loc=NKa3hZyYoHA&siteID=NKa3hZyYoHA-f56QBdZHE2NR8OgXtMN9nQ
post #11624 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

If anyone is looking for a reference blu ray black level torture disc for their VT60- Best buy has the Prometheus 2 disc bluray/ dvd for $5 smile.gif

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/prometheus-2-disc-blu-ray-disc/6668044.p?ref=199&loc=NKa3hZyYoHA&siteID=NKa3hZyYoHA-f56QBdZHE2NR8OgXtMN9nQ

One of my favourites, awesome movie if you like Sci-Fi flicks.

post #11625 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 04:00 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

For your reference mode (Pro2) did you request that gamma be calibrated to BT. 1886 or did Chad do that on his own?

Larry

Before Chad started the calibration, I asked him what he thought about the podcast post (in AVS Forum in the Calibration section) about a Hollywood guy saying that most movies now days are mastered to1886.

The bright room setting was not calibrated to 1886.

I trust that Chad did the right thing. Maybe if Chad reads this, he will comment on how it would look the difference between 1886 and whatever the normal choice would be.
post #11626 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Personally lcd has its place (and I know people where just kidding). But I fell I should say as much as ppasmas kill lcd for films. Lcd is what I use for gaming now. It is nice not having to eorry about image retintion or burn snd I can understand why the average person for this reason would go for lcd over plasma.

But not in the plasma area.
post #11627 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Before Chad started the calibration, I asked him what he thought about the podcast post (in AVS Forum in the Calibration section) about a Hollywood guy saying that most movies now days are mastered to1886.

The bright room setting was not calibrated to 1886.

I trust that Chad did the right thing. Maybe if Chad reads this, he will comment on how it would look the difference between 1886 and whatever the normal choice would be.

I know what it would look with the standard 2.2 gamma that almost all professional calibrators use these days. I only asked because I don't recall seeing any other calibration report by him where he used BT. 1886.

WRT some guy saying that most movies made these days use BT 1886: What about the movies made during the last century and more when movies were made without digits -- on celluloid (and before that on nitrate) film? Zhivago, Bonnie and Clyde and Chinatown were made on film. They look terrible with BT.1886.

Larry
post #11628 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 04:54 PM

I have a few questions.

I'm going to buy the Onkyo HT-S3500 Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package and hook it up with my Panny VT60. I have never used a receiver or home theater before. I already researched how to hook up everything, but I'm still not clear on a couple of things.

(Note: Due to the TV's inability to transfer 5.1 audio to the receiver if I hook up the game consoles or bluray directly to the TV, I'm going to connect all external devices directly to the receiver and from there, pass an HDMI cable to the TV.)

However:

1. How do I hook it up so that I hear the TV channels or netflix through the receiver too? Do I have to use an additional Toslink/Optical cable or will that same HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV also work to transfer the sound from the TV/netflix to the receiver?

2. If I want the TV's sound coming from the receiver/speakers, do I have to use the HDMI ARC slot? What exactly is ARC good for?

Sorry if the questions are stupid, but I don't live in the USA, so I have to order all the necessary cables right away with the receiver.

This is going to be my setup: Game consoles + Bluray --> hooked up to the HDMI ports on the Receiver  -->  HDMI cable from the output slot on the Receiver into the input HDMI slot (regular or ARC?) on the VT60.

So far so good?

*edit* Oh wait, should I even be posting my predicament in this thread?

post #11629 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post

I have a few questions.

I'm going to buy the Onkyo HT-S3500 Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package and hook it up with my Panny VT60. I have never used a receiver or home theater before. I already researched how to hook up everything, but I'm still not clear on a couple of things.

(Note: Due to the TV's inability to transfer 5.1 audio to the receiver if I hook up the game consoles or bluray directly to the TV, I'm going to connect all external devices directly to the receiver and from there, pass an HDMI cable to the TV.)

However:

1. How do I hook it up so that I hear the TV channels or netflix through the receiver too? Do I have to use an additional Toslink/Optical cable or will that same HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV also work to transfer the sound from the TV/netflix to the receiver?

2. If I want the TV's sound coming from the receiver/speakers, do I have to use the HDMI ARC slot? What exactly is ARC good for?

Sorry if the questions are stupid, but I don't live in the USA, so I have to order all the necessary cables right away with the receiver.

This is going to be my setup: Game consoles + Bluray --> hooked up to the HDMI ports on the Receiver  -->  HDMI cable from the output slot on the Receiver into the input HDMI slot (regular or ARC?) on the VT60.

So far so good?

*edit* Oh wait, should I even be posting my predicament in this thread?

You pretty much have it right. Hook up all your components to receiver via HDMI , than one HDMI cable to TV ARC input. In order to get sound from internet apps you need to enable ARC in your tv and Onkyo. This setup will allow you to get HD sound from Bluray movies too.
If you cannot get ARC to work, simply use an optical cable from TV- receiver. This will give you sound from internet apps such as netflix.

post #11630 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 05:43 PM

Oh, thanks for the reply!

So that HDMI cable going from the Receiver's output into the VT60's HDMI ARC input is all I need to get sound from the TV/Netflix on the receiver/speakers?

And in case ARC doesn't work, then I use the optical cable to get the same results right?

But, what if ARC doesn't work, do I just connect that receiver HDMI cable on the other HDMI TV input so that I can get the video from my game console/bluray, right?

post #11631 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
cool.gif
post #11632 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveralone777 View Post

I have the same issue. The dirt on mine is the size of 4 pixels almost in the center of the screen. I can see it from 30 feet away. When watching a movie I forget it's there but then I am reminded with bright scenes or solid color backgrounds which really bring out the dirt speck. I contacted Panasonic and they said it wasn't covered and there was nothing they could do. I would like to know how to fix this and if it can't be fixed I feel I should pursue Panasonic further to resolve the situation. I don't see how this could not be a manufacturer defect. Have you found any more information on this and what should I do to get this fixed? I have a 65VT60 from amazon and they are unable to do a replacement.

Thanks

from another post a few pages back
. You might notice dirt inside the screen up on the glass. You really have to search for it and catch it on the right angle. I suggest you do not go looking for it because there is probably something there. I only noticed it by accident or otherwise would have never scene it. It might even make you think you have a bad pixel if you spot it. You can turn your TV off, and use an LED flashlight to see if it is dirt or a dead pixel. If it is dirt it will show a shadow onto the panel from the light. Again, don't go looking for it but if you spot it, I have had 2 VT60's from different months and both of them have it and others have posted about it is well. I am betting a lot more people have it then they know but have never caught it.

I didnt go looking for it i thought it would drive me crazy... seems like someone mentioned compressed air MAY fix it but i dont rem if that was true or not. i think your stuck with it
post #11633 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Why don't you guys take this offline. It wastes time and bandwidth.

Speaking only for me I would like to see the numbers SS is requesting and I find this "waste" of bandwidth a lot more informative and a learning opportunity about my display much more so then Eric's favorite discussion of stands smile.gif

By the way I watched Captain Philips this afternoon and would call it a reference disk. No issues in the engine room or other dark scenes. As you said - great movie too. A must buy now or later when the price drops.
LarryInRI and eric3316 like this.
post #11634 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 07:49 PM

smile.gif
post #11635 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 07:58 PM

Liked: 12
yea i couldn't really tell the size of the defect with no reference like a penny or a dime. that sucks hold out a yr sell it and get a new 4k model
post #11636 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

Speaking only for me I would like to see the numbers SS is requesting and I find this "waste" of bandwidth a lot more informative and a learning opportunity about my display much more so then Eric's favorite discussion of stands smile.gif

By the way I watched Captain Philips this afternoon and would call it a reference disk. No issues in the engine room or other dark scenes. As you said - great movie too. A must buy now or later when the price drops.
Hahaha.......I was just about to reply, even though I have no clue what the numbers will mean it would still be more interesting then the stand talk and is definitely more related to the VT60 then a TV stand and people's wood working skills.

Also, the more numbers and charts that get posted the more questions get asked and then a lot more people start to understand what we are looking at.
post #11637 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 08:09 PM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveralone777 View Post

I have the same issue. The dirt on mine is the size of 4 pixels almost in the center of the screen. I can see it from 30 feet away. When watching a movie I forget it's there but then I am reminded with bright scenes or solid color backgrounds which really bring out the dirt speck. I contacted Panasonic and they said it wasn't covered and there was nothing they could do. I would like to know how to fix this and if it can't be fixed I feel I should pursue Panasonic further to resolve the situation. I don't see how this could not be a manufacturer defect. Have you found any more information on this and what should I do to get this fixed? I have a 65VT60 from amazon and they are unable to do a replacement.

Thanks

What's the build date?
post #11638 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

What's the build date?
I had an October build and an August build, both had it. On my current August build, I saw a small piece by accident but didn't try to find it again or look for any more. Can't even remember where it was anymore.

What we see here is just a bigger piece of the same issue it looks like. That obviously effects regular viewing. If Panasonic cannot fix it I most definitely would return it.
post #11639 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

What's the build date?

October 2013
post #11640 of 14762 Old 01-25-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I had an October build and an August build, both had it. My current August billed, I caught a small piece by accident but didn't try to find it again or look for any more.

What we see here is just a bigger piece of the same issue it looks like. That obviously effects regular viewing. If Panasonic cannot fix it I most definitely would return it.

With Amazon no longer having any in stock I would have to do a return with no replacement. I got it for very cheap but I may need to revisit the "deals" page and see what people are finding now to see about a replacement if it can't be fixed.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page