Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 394 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11791 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiz41 View Post

Thanks, that was my thought too but they claim to be sold out nationwide (of the TC-P55VT60 too). Their site shows "available for delivery" but it switches to "out of stock" when you attempt to check out.

Go to an actual store (with Magnolia if possible) you might have better luck with them finding it on their inventory system.

I just took my VT60 out of the box and started watching it. Is that ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11792 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

Thanks, that was my thought too but they claim to be sold out nationwide (of the TC-P55VT60 too). Their site shows "available for delivery" but it switches to "out of stock" when you attempt to check out.

They need to update their site then frown.gif Very tough to find then at a non marked up price

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #11793 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 AM

Liked: 10
RLB,we have been watching mostly in THX bright room..I will check it out when I get home and go to warm 1...Thanks...Don
post #11794 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Any idea where I could still find a TC-P60VT60? Outside of paying double from a small reseller...

Thanks!

B&H has the 60VT for $2495.
post #11795 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Channels? You actually watch using the built-in tuner? Somebody still does that? Wow. smile.gif

I gather most folks using a screen like this would be watching through a DVR, cable box or other media device.

I use the built in tuner-- why not? Cable and iptv are costly, flood your home with advertising despite being a paid service and the picture quality is mediocre at best. OTA is free, making the ads justifiable and the picture quality is superb assuming you can pull channels in your area.

Wow. I'm surprised people still pay money to have advertising piped into their homes! wink.gif

Given the expense of a VT60 it comes across as plainly ridiculous to gripe about payTV. Sure, it's overpriced, but I'd expect more of that sort of whinging in a westinghouse or vizio thread... biggrin.gif

But hey, whatever.

Back to the switching question, does your cable box allow for fixing the output resolution? It's often useful to select a fixed output resolution so the TV (any TV, not just a VT60) can avoid having to re-sync with the new resolution. So if you're going between a 480i SD channel and a 1080i HD channel the TV won't have to figure it out. I've found it useful to set mine to always output at 1080i. There is the potential for a few rare situations where an external tuner might not do as decent a job of upscaling content as the one built into the TV. But for most programming, boxes and TVs it's unlikely to matter.
post #11796 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Back to the switching question, does your cable box allow for fixing the output resolution? It's often useful to select a fixed output resolution so the TV (any TV, not just a VT60) can avoid having to re-sync with the new resolution. So if you're going between a 480i SD channel and a 1080i HD channel the TV won't have to figure it out. I've found it useful to set mine to always output at 1080i. There is the potential for a few rare situations where an external tuner might not do as decent a job of upscaling content as the one built into the TV. But for most programming, boxes and TVs it's unlikely to matter.

Yes, the uverse box requires choosing either 720p or 1080i. Actually I wished it would pass through because it would rather the tv handle the scaling.

Anyway, that's not it in any case, since I get audio stutters when flipping through various HBO channels, for example, which would all be the same resolution.

I just took my VT60 out of the box and started watching it. Is that ok?
post #11797 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatdon1 View Post

RLB,we have been watching mostly in THX bright room..I will check it out when I get home and go to warm 1...Thanks...Don

Try CNET's settings but change from Warm 2 to Warm 1. The whites are nice and white. THX Bright room is a little bright and can wash out the picture.
post #11798 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

I think your posts over the past few months speak (actually volumes) for themselves so I will refrain from further comment. I am glad you "seem" to be enjoying your display now and I hope nursing school is going well. While I will agree that the Pioneer may be able to achieve a slightly better black level (whether one can actually see it remains to be seen, I know I could not when my VT was set up next to my 5020, but then the 500m is the beast once altered by DNice via the service menu), there are many things my Panasonic does much better than my Pioneer did. I would also respectfully point you to a lot of pro reviewers who feel the same way along with other owners, unlike yourself, who agree with me. Will it ever end eek.gif
I'm afraid it won't. We have a parallel topic in the Kuro pics thread.biggrin.gif
post #11799 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCriss View Post

Quote:

Yes, the uverse box requires choosing either 720p or 1080i. Actually I wished it would pass through because it would rather the tv handle the scaling.

Anyway, that's not it in any case, since I get audio stutters when flipping through various HBO channels, for example, which would all be the same resolution.

Don't assume anything about channel resolutions (or audio codecs), you'd be surprised how many times it's not what you're expecting.

Perhaps you'd want to ask this in a forum or thread that covers that model of uverse box? Search brings up one that seems similar to what you've asked:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1134904/u-verse-audio-dropouts/150
post #11800 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Any idea where I could still find a TC-P60VT60? Outside of paying double from a small reseller...

Thanks!

If you can deal with some warts, Amazon has a few returns in the warehouse. Best Buy has them listed, but they have to be within your region. You can't have them shipped to you, or to a local store, unless you're within 200 miles of where it currently sits.. or something to that extent.
post #11801 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Just to share this PM in case others had the same concerns as Bill did. Cheers.

wkearney99
Today at 12:01 pm
In your reply you posted:

"I think your posts over the past few months speak (actually volumes) for themselves so I will refrain from further comment. I am glad you "seem" to be enjoying your display now and I hope nursing school is going well. "

Ok, don't get me wrong here, but that's a bit creepy. It's one thing to argue the merits of an argument. It's another thing to dredge back through the comments and use personal info as a sort of piling on tactic.

Don't get me wrong, I've no dog in this fight, just that your reply seems a bit over the line.

-Bill

smurraybhm
Today at 12:17 pm
Bill - if you've been following the thread since its start you would know he is working on a nursing degree, something we've actually discussed during a few posts among other aspects of his personal life. This thread has never diverted from its main topic since its start smile.gif

If I can't tell someone that I hope their studies are going well this semester as the work towards their college degree continues something is wrong with what you and what you perceive as creepy and over the top. I think its great he is in school and focused on a degree that once he graduates should guarantee him a job which is a rarity for most kids coming out of college these days. In fact as a former hospital administrator one of the largest academic medical center's in the U.S. I have always said that if I lost my current job I would return to school and get a nursing degree. You work hard, but employment is not an issue if you do a good job. On top of that I work at a large university that has a heck of nursing program. Forgive me if a take interest in his progress, but maybe you understand the post a little better now.

I am not fighting, a lot of us go way back on our discussions about all of this, I respect him for his passion (and OCD) and hopefully I have helped him at least once. Most of us have disagreed at one time or another, but in the end we almost always come to the aid of a member in need (one unnamed exception comes to mind who frequents the Pioneer threads).

You seem to be the one who jumped over the top on this one. I am going back to enjoying my birthday, always good to get a year older - especially at my age. Steve
post #11802 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

Given the expense of a VT60 it comes across as plainly ridiculous to gripe about payTV. Sure, it's overpriced, but I'd expect more of that sort of whinging in a westinghouse or vizio thread... biggrin.gif

But hey, whatever.

Did I sound like I was whining?

Here's some food for thought: according to forbes the average cost of cable tv in 2011 was $86/mo (http://www.forbes.com/sites/amadoudiallo/2013/10/14/cable-tv-price-hikes-unsustainable/). That figure is expected to rise to $123/mo by 2015. Imagine how many VT60s you could afford if you weren't paying that extra 100 dollars per month? Conversely, as I own a VT60 now I feel no need to feed it an inferior picture. Bluray, xbox, YouTube and netflix all provide better picture and a deeper breadth of entertainment options than television stations which hack out content and constantly interrupt programs for commercial breaks.
JPowers and Donat76 like this.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #11803 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:29 AM

I never owned a Kuro to compare but these VT60 panasonics rock! With power consumption constraints there can be issues with brightness and your viewing enjoyment with varying content can be a crapshoot. But with choice blu ray and even satellite content from such as HBO you can have a film like experience that just immerses you in the movie. I think we VT60 owners will move through a process of discovery that will bring us to a place of enjoyment and contentment. Panasonic has put a heck of a lot of effort into these sets and the culmination of this effort continues to unfold.
post #11804 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:29 AM

Liked: 17
I really find it interesting how bright my VT60 has become...I had read people thinking that the TV progressively gets brighter and I now agree with it. I'm over 300 hrs now...and am VERY happy with it. smile.gif
post #11805 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:31 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks!

BestBuy has the 60zt60 in stock (at least for me in MD) for $2500 plus tax.
post #11806 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
B&H Photo still shows in stock:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/907630-REG/panasonic_tc_p60vt60_60_1080p_3d.html

My 55VT60 arrives today from them. That size is now out of stock. They also show the 65VT60 in stock. Prices are not exceptional, but service is good and shipping is included.

Mark
post #11807 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Quote:

But hey, whatever.

Did I sound like I was whining?

Here's some food for thought...

Whinge not whine. Reading... it's tricky like that.

Congrats on your cord-cutting. I doubt this is the thread on which to shout from that soapbox.
post #11808 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Congrats on making the big decision. I am envious because I still haven't been able to make mine. Keep us posted on what TV you end up with....I'm interested to know what you decide to do.

Hey Code...I'm posting at the very real risk of the plasma snobs coming down on me tongue.gif ...but I will do so since you asked...I went to Best Buy again and spent a few hours looking at the Sammy 8500 and since I wasn't so sure about even it in my relatively bright room and didn't want to do go through another cycle of deliver and send back so I decided to get a 65 inch F7100 LED set...it was delivered about a week ago and I really like it...no, I don't have it in super bright mode but it does have plenty of headroom of course and plenty of settings that allow me to get the picture I want for what I'm watching at the time...it also has modes that use micro dimming to get decent blacks and I don't have any super noticeable issues with flashlighting or clouding...and hockey is really nice...I can make the ice practically glow!biggrin.gif
post #11809 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCriss View Post

+1 thumbs up for old school OTA.

By the way Sage, you might be satisfied to know that you successfully talked me out of a soundbar. Ended up with the pioneer bookshelf speakers and will build a proper system from there.

Nice!

I think you made a great decision! My uncle bought a set of those Andrew Jones speakers and I've been looking forward to listening to them!

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #11810 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 11:47 AM

So would I be switching from THX bright room to Cinema? I didn't see any other Cnet settings..Thanks
post #11811 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 11:50 AM

Ouch, a $700 bump from BB's price! Thanks for looking though. I'll have to scour BB's system first to find one laying around...$2500 for this TV is brutal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhe4 View Post

B&H Photo still shows in stock:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/907630-REG/panasonic_tc_p60vt60_60_1080p_3d.html

My 55VT60 arrives today from them. That size is now out of stock. They also show the 65VT60 in stock. Prices are not exceptional, but service is good and shipping is included.
post #11812 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 11:54 AM

Liked: 43
I recently moved into a new house and have my vt60 in a make shift mancave, the only problem is the walls are painted hot pink since it was formally a child's room eek.gif . Even at night I can clearly see the reflections off the wall hitting the tv, reducing contrast ratio/black level. Would a flat black or similar paint finish really improve my viewing experience over this super reflective paint I currently have?

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
post #11813 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatdon1 View Post

So would I be switching from THX bright room to Cinema? I didn't see any other Cnet settings..Thanks

Enter these(Cnet's) settings: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/ in the Cinema mode. Cinema will then be Cnets's settings. Just change the color temp from Warm 2 to Warm 1 if you like whiter whites. You can then flip back and forth between THX Bright and Cinema(Cnet) and see which you prefer.
post #11814 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the help..Appreciate it..
post #11815 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 12:19 PM

Post your opinion after trying it.
post #11816 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 605
I just quickly skimmed through this last page and WOW, what the heck went on here today. lol
post #11817 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1 View Post

Hey Code...I'm posting at the very real risk of the plasma snobs coming down on me tongue.gif ...but I will do so since you asked...I went to Best Buy again and spent a few hours looking at the Sammy 8500 and since I wasn't so sure about even it in my relatively bright room and didn't want to do go through another cycle of deliver and send back so I decided to get a 65 inch F7100 LED set...it was delivered about a week ago and I really like it...no, I don't have it in super bright mode but it does have plenty of headroom of course and plenty of settings that allow me to get the picture I want for what I'm watching at the time...it also has modes that use micro dimming to get decent blacks and I don't have any super noticeable issues with flashlighting or clouding...and hockey is really nice...I can make the ice practically glow!biggrin.gif
Glad to hear your happy. Definitely one of the better edge lits I have seen.

Now get out the plasma section. J/K, your always welcome back here.
post #11818 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 293
The following was obtained with PB high, contrast 85, 6% size 22% APL windows. Before calibration was stock THX Cinema. The TV was located in a bright living room, so I used a custom gamma that will bring out shadow detail a bit. I took readings in 5% increments.

My procedure to eliminate the white crush caused by panel brightness high is posted on the THX forum. 60VT60Pro1brightroom-PBhigh.pdf 1358k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 60VT60Pro1brightroom-PBhigh.pdf (1.33 MB, 143 views)
DavidHir, buzzard767 and eric3316 like this.
post #11819 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Errr.... Which THX forum is that, Chad?

Larry
post #11820 of 14747 Old 01-27-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

The following was obtained with PB high, contrast 85, 6% size 22% APL windows. Before calibration was stock THX Cinema. The TV was located in a bright living room, so I used a custom gamma that will bring out shadow detail a bit. I took readings in 5% increments.

My procedure to eliminate the white crush caused by panel brightness high is posted on the THX forum. 60VT60Pro1brightroom-PBhigh.pdf 1358k .pdf file

Nice work Chad!
Chad B likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page