Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 397 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11881 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

Eric do you mind giving some feedback on the stand question I had as far as the TV swaying a little bit with any movement near the TV. I'm sure most have there sets mounted by now but for those with it still on the stand, the V seems to be a metal stand with plastic overlying it or is the whole thing hard plastic? Cause if so I'm going to wall mount because if this stand breaks I'm not
Gonna be happy! I don't see it happening but in sure it's a possibly depending on how sturdy that "V" really is!

But does it sway because you think the stand is not correctly attached to the TV or does it sway because you have it on top of a weak furniture?

The stand weighs like 20 pounds, it's pure metal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 AM

Liked: 11
Just paranoid here. Has anyone had and issues with the screen surface? Scratches, kid prints, whatever?
post #11883 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 AM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post

But does it sway because you think the stand is not correctly attached to the TV or does it sway because you have it on top of a weak furniture?

The stand weighs like 20 pounds, it's pure metal.

The stand is on a solid hardwood cabinet. Very sturdy, oldschool design. The TV is placed on the bracket correctly and all screws were placed to hold the bracket to the "V" as well as all the screws into the TV the TV to hold the bracket in place. What I am saying is the TV wobbles a little while on the stand. I was wondering for those who have the stand still on there VT of they noticed how easily it sways, it's like a tall building, tall buildings are designed to sway to ease tension on the framework during Storms or high winds. So I'm wondering if it's a design flaw or feature to help with the movement that goes around in the surrounding environment. I mean it's very little swaying, if you have your TV still on the stand you will know what I'm talking about. I was also concerned about what the "V" part of the stand that actually holds the TV is made from, the base is obviously pure metal but didn't know if the V was also and they put silver plastic over it or if the V is just solid plastic coming off of a metal base.

Btw @eric thanks for your feedback

Here's my crappy set
Up

post #11884 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkenyon View Post

Just paranoid here. Has anyone had and issues with the screen surface? Scratches, kid prints, whatever?
Huh? If your kid touches it will get fingerprints I am sure. If you take sand and rub it against the screen I am sure it will scratch. If you leave the TV alone I don't think it will scratch itself.
post #11885 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The stand is on a solid hardwood cabinet. Very sturdy, oldschool design. The TV is placed on the bracket correctly and all screws were placed to hold the bracket to the "V" as well as all the screws into the TV the TV to hold the bracket in place. What I am saying is the TV wobbles a little while on the stand. I was wondering for those who have the stand still on there VT of they noticed how easily it sways, it's like a tall building, tall buildings are designed to sway to ease tension on the framework during Storms or high winds. So I'm wondering if it's a design flaw or feature to help with the movement that goes around in the surrounding environment. I mean it's very little swaying, if you have your TV still on the stand you will know what I'm talking about. I was also concerned about what the "V" part of the stand that actually holds the TV is made from, the base is obviously pure metal but didn't know if the V was also and they put silver plastic over it or if the V is just solid plastic coming off of a metal base.

Btw @eric thanks for your feedback

Here's my crappy set
Up

If I wiggle my TV it has give. It won't shake because it is on a wooden floor on my first floor so there are no vibrations.

Again, there is a lot more involved then someone making a stand in their basement saying, hey you think this is strong enough. There are so many other things to stress over about your TV, the stand should not be one of them. It was built to hold the TV. It can hold the weight and probably much more.
post #11886 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiz41 View Post

Any idea where I could still find a TC-P60VT60? Outside of paying double from a small reseller...

Thanks!

I too was having the same problem trying to check out at BBs price of $1799. I gave up and emailed one their executives. He got back to me within the hour promising to get his team involved. Lo and behold they found an open-box at my nearest Magnolia BB. It is arriving this tomorrow!
dianebrat likes this.
post #11887 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 11:42 AM

Liked: 12
Just got the tv. A replacement for my burned in gt50 as mentioned.

A few things ive noticed. At first the black level seemed like a crazy improvement. I use the tv only for gaming. So when I tried killer instinct after making some adjustments it was very impressive. So I see the tv is capable of some crazy contrast.

The only issue I have so far is that the tv seems darker. Even with the panel set to high. When the panel is set to high however it makes the images have a bloom effect it seems. I havent figured out if its best to use gaming mode while gaming. Is there any image degradation in gaming mode?

I also found when I set the HDMI input mode to GRAPHICS its overly sharp. So I just set it back to auto. Some of the other new additions that you can turn on dont seem to do much. Like the contrast enhancer and feature that enhances blue and green colors.

The settings ive been going back and forth with now are custom 100 contrast, 20 brightness, 100 color. Same with THX brightroom. I set the panel to mid brightness as well. The gamma I have at 1.8 as anything else seems very dark and harder to see detail with the dimness.

I like a high contrast , colorful artificial kind of look. Similiar to how my sony XBR CRT was but difficult to explain. I hate vivid mode so maybe my description is not that good, of what I like. I know it when I see it. Im obsessive with tweaking sets but not to achieve realism.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I think I will keep it if I can adjust to the lower brightness of the picture, or if I can further enhance it somehow.
post #11888 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 11:49 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
What options do I have for additional / better 3D glasses? I previously bought PS3 glasses for my 60ST30 but I guess those don't work with the 65VT60 bc they are IR and the xx60 series TV's use bluetooth, correct?
post #11889 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Beast View Post

A few things ive noticed. At first the black level seemed like a crazy improvement. I use the tv only for gaming. So when I tried killer instinct after making some adjustments it was very impressive. So I see the tv is capable of some crazy contrast.

The only issue I have so far is that the tv seems darker. Even with the panel set to high. When the panel is set to high however it makes the images have a bloom effect it seems. I havent figured out if its best to use gaming mode while gaming. Is there any image degradation in gaming mode?

I also found when I set the HDMI input mode to GRAPHICS its overly sharp. So I just set it back to auto. Some of the other new additions that you can turn on dont seem to do much. Like the contrast enhancer and feature that enhances blue and green colors.

The settings ive been going back and forth with now are custom 100 contrast, 20 brightness, 100 color. Same with THX brightroom. I set the panel to mid brightness as well. The gamma I have at 1.8 as anything else seems very dark and harder to see detail with the dimness.

I like a high contrast , colorful artificial kind of look. Similiar to how my sony XBR CRT was but difficult to explain. I hate vivid mode so maybe my description is not that good, of what I like. I know it when I see it. Im obsessive with tweaking sets but not to achieve realism.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I think I will keep it if I can adjust to the lower brightness of the picture, or if I can further enhance it somehow.
1.8 gamma, 100 contrast, 20 brightness and 100 color? If they made anything worse then LED's I would recommend you get one of those. I don't really think anyone here can help you. I don't really know why you even own a plasma.
post #11890 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

What options do I have for additional / better 3D glasses? I previously bought PS3 glasses for my 60ST30 but I guess those don't work with the 65VT60 bc they are IR and the xx60 series TV's use bluetooth, correct?
Samsung makes like $20 glasses. I can't remember the model number. Something like 5100 or something like that. Just search Samsung 3D glasses and it is the cheap ones that come up. They are the most popular and affordable.
cpc likes this.
post #11891 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I am using SS's second list of settings (BT.1886) and find skin tones look even better then the first settings he posted but both of his settings have looked the best to my eye so far.

No need to touch a single setting anymore. If someone posts a new set of settings I might give it a try to to see how it looks, otherwise I just watch my TV like I used to watch it years ago, focusing and paying attention to the actual programming.

I noticed on Silly Sally's settings that I don't see settings for Color Detail Adjusting for R, G, B, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. Do these simply stay at 0? Or did I overlook them? Thank you to anyone who knows the answer.
post #11892 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Beast View Post

SNIP........

I don't think you're going to find much help in this thread. Most on here are trying to achieve realism, not the look you are going for. And I think most in this group would consider this a poor choice for a gaming only set due to IR issues.

The "darkness" of the panel has been discussed. I think it's safe to say if you set panel brightness to high and contrast to 100, that's the brightest you're going to get it.

I'm not sure, having already burnt one plasma, this was your best choice as a replacement. This sounds like an ideal situation for an led set.
post #11893 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150zx View Post

I noticed on Silly Sally's settings that I don't see settings for Color Detail Adjusting for R, G, B, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. Do these simply stay at 0? Or did I overlook them? Thank you to anyone who knows the answer.
Leave at zero. He uses a different system to set those and they won't translate over to the settings within the VT60. So best to leave at zero.
5150zx likes this.
post #11894 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 12:10 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:

Samsung makes like $20 glasses. I can't remember the model number. Something like 5100 or something like that. Just search Samsung 3D glasses and it is the cheap ones that come up. They are the most popular and affordable.

I will look into the Samsung 5100's.
What about the Xpand X105B glasses?

I notice the Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU can be switched to 2D which is nice. I don't imagine any other glasses allow that?
post #11895 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 12:11 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

These are the glasses I was recommended. I have not bought any yet so I cannot vouch for them. I wish the PS3 glasses worked for the vt60, they were the best all around glasses for the 30 series in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIP816Q/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #11896 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 12:14 PM

Since I found broadcast tv a bit darkish, I have been experimenting a little with my pro1 settings. Seems when I out gamma on 2.0 things look quite a bit better and bright. Am I destroying the picture in doing so? Or is gamma 2.0 not that unusual to use for normal tv viewing (like football now). For movies I use pro2 with warm colour and a 2.4 gamma.

Anyone doing the same? Also, what does 'adaptive gamma control' do?
post #11897 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:

If I wiggle my TV it has give. It won't shake because it is on a wooden floor on my first floor so there are no vibrations.

Again, there is a lot more involved then someone making a stand in their basement saying, hey you think this is strong enough. There are so many other things to stress over about your TV, the stand should not be one of them. It was built to hold the TV. It can hold the weight and probably much more.

That's the word I was looking for..like if I pop in my flash drive for the slides or an HDMI cord I can see the TV "wiggle" a little from left to right or front to back which seems like a feature so that if there are a lot of vibrations that the TV stand can absorb them better with its little give "wiggle". It is definitely not swaying, that was a bad word to use lol sorry.

But no one has answered my question yet about what the "V" is made of? Is it metal
Under hard plastic or just all solid plastic?
post #11898 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

These are the glasses I was recommended. I have not bought any yet so I cannot vouch for them. I wish the PS3 glasses worked for the vt60, they were the best all around glasses for the 30 series in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIP816Q/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

do these work with the gt60?
post #11899 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone actual use the voice commands on their TV. I had a Samsung TV that had voice commands and it worked much better since you were able to use them without having the remote in your hand. So I was able to walk but my Samsung TV and turn it on or off with my voice, no remote or button pushing needed. Change the volume from the other room just with my voice. It was great if you your hands were tied up or cooking and you didn't want to touch anything.

On the VT60, you have to active voice controls with the remote. if the remote is already in your hand what would be the point and changing the volume with your voice? At that point isn't it just quicker to hit the volume button. I can understand maybe for long search phrases but I am not even sure where I would use this or if I have ever been in a situation yet where I could have used it even.
post #11900 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM

Those with the fan fix..do you still hear a low pulsing noise cause if so that means that's as far as the fan fix can take this TV and there would be no point in calling Panny because Alls I hear is a low pulse noise.
post #11901 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

I have great news for those interested in having D-Nice calibrate your display(s).

Effective immediately and going forward.
eek.gifonly $300 - $330 depending on Region (North of New York is $330, most other Regions $300). This is $100-$150 lower than before. eek.gif

Besides his Houston Tour, he has 2 (maybe 3) slots available for Los Angeles California on Sunday February 16 (the immediate L.A. area only).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Guy View Post

Does he ever make his way up to Toronto, Canada?

I don't think D-Nice does but he may if there were 6 others... I doubt it would be in the $300-$330 range though...

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #11902 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 PM

Liked: 12
Thanks guys. Its hard for me to describe my picture prefferance so I may not be doing it so well as I said. I would say that realism is something I want to see on my display but at the same time not the muted subdued "realism" that I find in alot of pre set modes. I love thx bright room for example, but with the contrast and color maxed. So maybe it is a mix of realism and hyper realism. Video game polygons dont tend to look as realistic as say a tree in a movie. The graphic look is always more colorful I find.

After spending some time tweaking the more basic settings I can say Ive gotten the set to look really good. The first few hours it always seems like the set will not be good enough. My eyes are also adjusting to the new set as well. My expectation was trying to match my previous gt50 at first, and this set is able to match it but it also has a different better , more high contrast look. The black levels are crazy. Reminds me of my Sony XBR CRT but with a much larger screen, no geometrical issues, and very sharp. I was coming from a sony XBR so thats why I was very particular and cannot stand LCD motion blur, or LCD tech in general as it really burns my eyes trying to see detail that isnt there. That and that motion smear ruins any immersion for me. I lover CRT and plasma. Im ok with some image retention. The reason I returned my GT50 was because i got these large YELLOW BLOTCHES on the screen. They did not fade after 4 months. If I thought that they would fade out like my other image retentions I would have ignored it.

It took about a year for that issue to surface. Im not sure exactly what caused it. I noticed it during long sessions of GTA. I expected HUDS to be in my screen for a month or several before fading out as that has been normal.

Anyway I am pretty damn pleased so far with how it is looking. I think I will end up keeping it for the years to come, unless I get blotches again. Hopefully not this time.

Here is an example of the type of image that I like. I finally got it looking up to my standard. Maybe some of you that are better with technical descriptions can describe this style, or maybe you will all hate it. But this is what I was tweaking to obtain

post #11903 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those with the fan fix..do you still hear a low pulsing noise cause if so that means that's as far as the fan fix can take this TV and there would be no point in calling Panny because Alls I hear is a low pulse noise.
You know you are going from OCD to crazy now, right? There is a difference between the two.

I am going to go out on a limb here but willing to take the risk and say there is absolutely nothing with your TV, your stand, your wires, your floors, your walls, your sound system, your alarm clock.....You are good. Watch the freakin TV and enjoy it already. You are almost at Scott Oakley level and once you hit there it gets even harder to talk you down from the ledge.

Let me tell you something. I am highly OCD. I won't touch my food with my hands. I eat potato chips with a fork, popcorn with a spoon, etc.....You guys actually make me feel normal. I need to find friends like you to hang out with. Then I might be considered the normal one. hahahaha
Donat76 likes this.
post #11904 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 01:04 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

I don't think D-Nice does but he may if there were 6 others... I doubt it would be in the $300-$330 range though...

Too bad... Does he (or anyone else) know of a good calibrator in the Toronto, Canada area?
post #11905 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 01:05 PM

Liked: 41

I'm sure it's been posted somewhere but I can't find the answer I'm looking for. Can someone explain to me why these plasmas shouldn't be transported laying down in or out of the box if carefully cushioned?

TIA

post #11906 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchersDad View Post

I'm sure it's been posted somewhere but I can't find the answer I'm looking for. Can someone explain to me why these plasmas shouldn't be transported laying down in or out of the box if carefully cushioned?

TIA
Because the weight of the screen. A bump of any kind has the ability to damage it if it were to bounce around in that position.
post #11907 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 01:08 PM

Liked: 17
I just refused shipment of a P65VT60 from Amazon. The first thing I noticed was the power cord sticking out the bottom of the box. I as like oh my this cannot be good. We opened the box to find the Styrofoam that protects the top of the TV broken into several pieces. I knew that was not a good sign. There were three deep gashes cut into the silver metal at the top left of TV. In that area the screen was cracked in several places. So there goes my chance of owning this great TV. What is up with all these cracked screens coming from Amazon? mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif
post #11908 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:

You can peel the yellow sticker off, now. The energy police aren't going to come after you. smile.gif
eric3316 likes this.
post #11909 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

You know you are going from OCD to crazy now, right? There is a difference between the two.

I am going to go out on a limb here but willing to take the risk and say there is absolutely nothing with your TV, your stand, your wires, your floors, your walls, your sound system, your alarm clock.....You are good. Watch the freakin TV and enjoy it already. You are almost at Scott Oakley level and once you hit there it gets even harder to talk you down from the ledge.

Let me tell you something. I am highly OCD. I won't touch my food with my hands. I eat potato chips with a fork, popcorn with a spoon, etc.....You guys actually make me feel normal. I need to find friends like you to hang out with. Then I might be considered the normal one. hahahaha
I have OCD tendencies, but I don't do any of those things. wink.gif

Yes, selfmade, some do still hear noise after the fix.
post #11910 of 14926 Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:

Does anyone actual use the voice commands on their TV. I had a Samsung TV that had voice commands and it worked much better since you were able to use them without having the remote in your hand. So I was able to walk but my Samsung TV and turn it on or off with my voice, no remote or button pushing needed. Change the volume from the other room just with my voice. It was great if you your hands were tied up or cooking and you didn't want to touch anything.

On the VT60, you have to active voice controls with the remote. if the remote is already in your hand what would be the point and changing the volume with your voice? At that point isn't it just quicker to hit the volume button. I can understand maybe for long search phrases but I am not even sure where I would use this or if I have ever been in a situation yet where I could have used it even.

I tried it the other day to do some searches, and it worked fine. It's not something that's I'd use. I don't trust the Samsung voice command setup being on all the time. That's really creepy having a little voice recorder hooked up to the internet all the time. They warn you of that risk in the privacy agreement.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page