Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 403 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 213Likes

post #12061 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

*after reading this whole page*

So, how 'bout those Nicks, huh?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post

*after reading this whole page*

So, how 'bout those Nicks, huh?

Go Patriot..... confused.gif Oh, yeah. eek.gif Go Red Sox. biggrin.gif

Larry
post #12063 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

Pacific Rim - Why too dark - Part 1

I am going to write about trying to find out why Pacific Rim doesn't have the dark details that I think it should.

Chapter 4, in the rain, in the dark scene when Mako Mori pulls back her black umbrella to reveal her face framed by her black hair for the first time. In the theater and using my sons pc computer and lcd monitor, I am able to some umbrella ribs and some individual strands of her black hair. On my 65VT60 I am not able to do so. Picture perhaps too dark with not enough black details.

This will be an exploration of what is the cause of this.

Things to consider (which may be a source of this 'thing').
Settings in PS3.
HDMI cable to AVR.
Settings in AVR.
HDMI cable to VT.
Settings in VT.

My tv has been professionally calibrated in Pro1 (bright room) and Pro2 (dark room), and I am not questioning the calibration. But do I see the dark details in other picture modes?

To investigate this I will do things like PS3 HMDI VT and bypass AVR. Different HDMI cables. Settings in PS3. Any picture settings in AVR.

If you all have any ideas/suggestions (well, any helpful ideas/suggestions), then post them.

I was actually looking at maybe giving this a rental tonight. If I do, I will post my thoughts although I never saw it in the theater.

post #12064 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxJuan View Post

You could've PM'd CodeMan. It does come off as a little desperate ( trying to justify the switch) to come back to this forum to tell us that, Breaking News!, LED's produce brighter whites. I used to own the F7100 and it is a really good set. Unfortunately mine had some uniformity issues ( clouding, a little flash lighting and a dark spot in the upper right hand corner) that I couldn't live with. I don't go into the F7100 thread to tell them that my VT60 has no uniformity issues and has mind blowing contrast. There's no reason to that, because they don't care.

Pm people that you think might be interested in blinding whites, or simply post in the F7100 thread, or else you might upset some here that really don't care.
You guys are funny. It's not like he is coming in here and bragging about an F8500 that is actually another great TV and an alternative that is more on the same playing filed as a VT60. He is gloating about an F7100, I think we can all laugh that one off. I know I can.

lol. Its been a while since I seen a good ole samsung bot. Funny enough you won't find him in his own owners thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467000/official-samsung-f7100-owners-thread/210 [ever].

There's 8 pages of 'rave' reviews there. Reminds me of my old samsung LCD wink.gif
post #12065 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 05:22 PM

Liked: 16

So that's a 'thing' then? LCD lovers vs Plasma lovers?

post #12066 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

I purchased a Premier Mounts LPTM5080 Low Profile Tilt Mount for its 45" wall plate. It allows me to span 3 studs and still have room to adjust the 6 or 7 inches required to center the TV on the wall. It's nice and heavy and seems to be good quality. The fixed version is LPFM5080. I purchased from Manhattan Products Company via Amazon. Great service.

That looks very good. I went on premier web site and they don't show that model but a similar one P5080F. The vertical attachment rails look rather long (on P5080F the measure about 29") Did you have any problems with them showing on the bottom or top of the tv?

GH
post #12067 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorage View Post

I just ordered the 6663 from monoprice for the same tv because it is wide enough to anchor into three studs. I read every review on monoprice and every post here on avs that mentioned that model number and 99% of it was positive. It was like $20 plus shipping.

I saw that one and it does look good with a great price. It's tilting so it should be a bit deeper than a fixed. I could not find a fixed version of that. How deep is it - between the wall and the back of the tv.
Thanks

GH
post #12068 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryh View Post

I saw that one and it does look good with a great price. It's tilting so it should be a bit deeper than a fixed. I could not find a fixed version of that. How deep is it - between the wall and the back of the tv.
Thanks
I've been looking at the same one. If you look at the specs tab it says the 6663 has a minimum extension of 4 inches, max extension n/a because it doesn't extend forward.
post #12069 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 06:32 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post

Pacific Rim - Why too dark - Part 1

I am going to write about trying to find out why Pacific Rim doesn't have the dark details that I think it should.

Chapter 4, in the rain, in the dark scene when Mako Mori pulls back her black umbrella to reveal her face framed by her black hair for the first time. In the theater and using my sons pc computer and lcd monitor, I am able to some umbrella ribs and some individual strands of her black hair. On my 65VT60 I am not able to do so. Picture perhaps too dark with not enough black details.

This will be an exploration of what is the cause of this.

Things to consider (which may be a source of this 'thing').
Settings in PS3.
HDMI cable to AVR.
Settings in AVR.
HDMI cable to VT.
Settings in VT.

My tv has been professionally calibrated in Pro1 (bright room) and Pro2 (dark room), and I am not questioning the calibration. But do I see the dark details in other picture modes?

To investigate this I will do things like PS3 HMDI VT and bypass AVR. Different HDMI cables. Settings in PS3. Any picture settings in AVR.

If you all have any ideas/suggestions (well, any helpful ideas/suggestions), then post them.

Part 2

Went direct from PS3 to HDTV via HDMI. If it was any better than going thru the AVR, couldn't quite see it. Maybe better, maybe not. I looked very carefully and I think I saw some of the umbrella ribs that I hadn't seen before (but I think maybe I had stopped the DVR too soon when I had looked sooner).

Next experiment is to look at the PS3 settings.
  • Video Output Format: Automatic
  • Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White: On
  • RGB Full Range: Full
  • Dynamic Range Control: Off

Any suggestions?

Of course it could be that the movie/scene was made too dark on purpose.
Need to put in WOW and look at some white or black slides.
post #12070 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

I carry around this epi pen-- never used it-- doctor says I should have one just in case. **** I live in Georgia! [tosses epi pen in trash]

You're right fcb-- it makes WAY more sense to shut down the whole state for 2" of snow...

I lived in the Midwest for nearly the first 30 years of my life before moving to the south. Until you spend time down here its hard to understand their approach to snow. It would be a waste of funds (and it's not like most states or local governments are flush with cash these days) to buy the equipment required in a part of the country that can go for 3 or 4 years without a measurable snow fall. Unlike where you reside the snow here is gone in a day or two. Tomorrow it will be in the upper 50s and back to 60 on Saturday. Last year we had 3 inches of snow in about an hour early in the afternoon, by 6 pm it was mostly gone. Back to plasma vs. LED - what a joke.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000s Fronts & Top Middle w/ PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; PSA v1800 & SVS PC12+ Subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku/Fire Sticks
post #12071 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_1014 View Post

Its funny you mention not using the VT60 as computer monitor. That's what I basically use mine for, although I use it for movies, gaming and TV viewing as well. I would say on a off day from work I'm on my PC for about 8 hours of the day and its pretty much listenting to music and navigating website. I haven't noticed any IR on my display none, what so ever at any point. This is not my first plasma, my second one so I know what I'm doing. I keep the contrast below 50 for PC usage. I just find it soo strange that people are complaing so much about IR and my PC usage is pretty much at 60 percent of the TV usage and I have not noticed any since I've gotten it. I am now over 500 hours on the display. Even when the phosphurs were fresh I still was not getting any IR.

Keep in mind though I never left the TV unattended with a static image on screen, I would either use the D-Nice slides or the screen wipe, even if I left the room for a minute. I aslo did do about maybe a 100 hours of slides and 50 hours of screen wipes despite not seeing any IR for the sole reason of aging the phosphurs.

I'm actually sort of surprised you like the picture it makes. Don't get me wrong-- I love my VT for games and I find it interesting that you use it as a monitor I just don't prefer it for computer use myself. Something about the way plasma renders small detail-- not sure if I have the wherewithal to describe it right now. Anyway I use a dedicated gaming monitor and find that works best for me as I can sit up in my office chair and not crank my neck forward on the couch.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #12072 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 PM

Can anyone tell me why all my settings and home screen customization disappears every time I unplug the TV? I am awaiting my basement to be finished so I have had to unplug it a couple times while moving it around.

I activated the Pro modes as well and lost all my settings in them, apparently because I didn't lock it after setting it. Do I have to lock every setting on every input to prevent this from happening? What a pain to have to go re-enter all that stuff again. Between this and the stubborn IR/burn-in from being a display model (my own fault) I am about ready to take this thing back to hhgregg. I probably would have already if they had 64F8500, they can only get the 60" version. They don't even have another TV that I'd want.

Basement Mancave: Samsung 64F8500 / Marantz SR7007 / Sony BDP-S5100 / ARX A5 / HSU VTF-15H

Upstairs Den: Samsung 58C7000 / Random Samsung Soundbar/ Wireless Sub
post #12073 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 07:10 PM

Liked: 12
THX Calibration App?

Did anyone try the app yet? I was thinking it was more of a novelty than anything. I was going to order the cable i needed but decided to wait to see what others were saying about it.
post #12074 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 07:13 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I am looking for a wall mount for my 65vt60. I know many will fit but I need to hit 3 studs so I need a solid wall plate (low profile, fixed) that's about 44" wide. I've seen them in a few posts. but can't find them now. Thanks for your help

Gerry

I just bought an FXM3 articulating mount from Kanto. Built like a tank! Here's their biggest fixed mount: http://www.kantoliving.com/product/mounts/f6080
post #12075 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:

Now you're bordering on offensive.

Here's the thing, chief: I take criticism very seriously because criticism is useful. Unfortunately, what you're offering isn't criticism and it's certainly not useful. I wouldn't expect you to understand this but every year a new owners thread goes up and every year someone comes in to post inane and useless commentary that every single plasma owner has had to listen to a million and a half times. The LCD / plasma debate has been beaten to death and everyone knows at this point what is what. I'm very happy you like your LCD-- actually, I lied, I could care less how happy you are with your LCD. What I DO care about is not reading anymore of this nonsense (and to be specific, your post was the exact type of nonsense I'm referring to) concerning how dim or how dull or how brown/grey/dirty you feel a plasmas whites are. You want to post your 'opinion'? Fine, but please do it someplace else because I've been listening to this **** for 8 years and I'm frankly tired of it.
His original comparison was with a Pioneer that is 8 years old, which he finds much brighter, which I actually find interesting (all the LCD comparisons aside, this comparison merits some consideration, although it is ultimately an academic exercise).
post #12076 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfdad123 View Post

I've been looking at the same one. If you look at the specs tab it says the 6663 has a minimum extension of 4 inches, max extension n/a because it doesn't extend forward.

I don't know what they mean by extension -- I'm looking for a low profile that is between 1" and 1 1/2"

GH
post #12077 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think extension means the distance from the wall. For the mounts that extend forward it shows the min distance from the wall when flat and max distance from the wall when extended. If you go to the specifications tab for any of their wall mounts it gives you the distance from the wall. They label some of their mounts as low profile and ultra low profile so that's what your looking for.
post #12078 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Guy View Post

I just bought an FXM3 articulating mount from Kanto. Built like a tank! Here's their biggest fixed mount: http://www.kantoliving.com/product/mounts/f6080

I really like this one. I looked at it a week ago but discounted it because then I was looking for something at about 50". Thanks for reminding me.

GH
post #12079 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I'm actually sort of surprised you like the picture it makes. Don't get me wrong-- I love my VT for games and I find it interesting that you use it as a monitor I just don't prefer it for computer use myself. Something about the way plasma renders small detail-- not sure if I have the wherewithal to describe it right now. Anyway I use a dedicated gaming monitor and find that works best for me as I can sit up in my office chair and not crank my neck forward on the couch.

I guess I like to convenience of having all my equipment hooked up to one source. I sit about 9 feet away from my 65"... I love the picture the plasma produces for PC image. When outputting RGB from my graphics card I find that you need to change the HDMI/DVI RRB Range to standard or Auto. I use Auto since everything is connected through my receiver. If you actually use the standard 16-235 you will get crushed blacks. It took my a while to notice as I do not watch much video content through my PC, I stream everything to my VT60 using DLNA (used to be the PS3 using PS3 media server) so I can receive a 5.1 audio.

Television: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Receiver: Yamaha RX-A2010
Speakers: Energy RC-70's, RC-LCR, RC-10 (4), Rythmik FV15HP (2) and Velodyne VDR-12 (3),
post #12080 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
I have been turning the pixel orbitor on recently while watching cable TV and it definitely seems to help with IR.
post #12081 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 08:26 PM

Liked: 31
Sunday 6pm until 10pm, I can not wait!

Fish Bowl 1. http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wild/fish-bowl/

"Join Goldie, an average household goldfish, and her fishy friends as they party down at Nat Geo Wild’s Fish Bowl. Step inside a world where something exciting lurks around every corner (if you can find one). There's feeding time! And cleaning time! And halftime! There will be cats and kids and more! We know people will wait with bated breath to see what happens next."

Just imagine how awesome this is going to be!?!!!!

If I sit 6" away, do you think it will twice as awesome as sitting 12" away? I have a 65VT60, but I don't know my eyeball size, so it is hard to compute the awesome index.
post #12082 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

Does anyone keep the box for the set past the return period? I should not need it for anything since panasonic and square trade would send someone out if any repairs are needed.
Yes. I used my VT box to go pick up another VT out of box buy. I also transported my TV in it when I moved. If you have the space, they come in handy.
post #12083 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

Yes. I used my VT box to go pick up another VT out of box buy. I also transported my TV in it when I moved. If you have the space, they come in handy.

Another person here strongly recommend you hold onto it, if you don't have space maybe find a friend who has space and buy him a bottle of wine or two or similar for doing so.
post #12084 of 16437 Old 01-30-2014, 11:53 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

That looks very good. I went on premier web site and they don't show that model but a similar one P5080F. The vertical attachment rails look rather long (on P5080F the measure about 29") Did you have any problems with them showing on the bottom or top of the tv?

The rails are long, but they can be attached without showing at the bottom and are nowhere near the top. I have not installed the wall plate yet. Should be done this weekend.
post #12085 of 16437 Old 01-31-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatLocker View Post

The rails are long, but they can be attached without showing at the bottom and are nowhere near the top. I have not installed the wall plate yet. Should be done this weekend.

Let me know how it goes. They are on back order at Amazon anyway so I have some time if I need to change. Thanks

GH
post #12086 of 16437 Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Man sometimes I hate myself. Been going back and forth between deciding to swap my tv for a Sony LED or not. Even mailed the shop saying 'swap', then 'no swap', and again... Today I received my Disney WOW disc and put my tv on thx cinema with some demo clips and provided I can dim the light a bit in the room (sunny day now and we have a LOT of windows) the picture remains fantastic. Been mailing with someone I met online who has a Sony and he is considering to swap his LED for the GT60 smile.gif Talk about different worlds. He wants to swap because he sees clouding, vignetting and other 'defects' in the screen while also wanting a more uniform black. When there's a bit too much light, the blacks on my GT60 tend to sway towards darkish grey but at least they're uniform. I do notice a bit of flickering when the light sensor is on and the tv needs to pump out its max brightness , but that's about it.

Think I need to stop hyperventilating like a crack addicted OCD'r and start enjoying my tv smile.gif To top this, my Epson TW9200W projector is on its way, so I'll have a different thing to worry about whether I did good or not smile.gif
post #12087 of 16437 Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

Man sometimes I hate myself. Been going back and forth between deciding to swap my tv for a Sony LED or not. Even mailed the shop saying 'swap', then 'no swap', and again... Today I received my Disney WOW disc and put my tv on thx cinema with some demo clips and provided I can dim the light a bit in the room (sunny day now and we have a LOT of windows) the picture remains fantastic. Been mailing with someone I met online who has a Sony and he is considering to swap his LED for the GT60 smile.gif Talk about different worlds. He wants to swap because he sees clouding, vignetting and other 'defects' in the screen while also wanting a more uniform black. When there's a bit too much light, the blacks on my GT60 tend to sway towards darkish grey but at least they're uniform. I do notice a bit of flickering when the light sensor is on and the tv needs to pump out its max brightness , but that's about it.

Think I need to stop hyperventilating like a crack addicted OCD'r and start enjoying my tv smile.gif To top this, my Epson TW9200W projector is on its way, so I'll have a different thing to worry about whether I did good or not smile.gif

VT60 and TW9200W. You sir. You did good.
post #12088 of 16437 Old 01-31-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks, I kept my gt30 and st30 boxes for two years and finally got rid of them (needed the space for kids toys, etc.). Unless the wife kicks me out of the house I don't plan on moving so I think I am going to recycle it. If anyone in the dc metro area wants a 65vt60 box, let me know.
post #12089 of 16437 Old 01-31-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

VT60 and TW9200W. You sir. You did good.

Well, it's a GT60 actually (the one that isn't available in US, just a 'tad' below VT60 picture quality). Very curious how the TW9200W will perform though, especially since I'll need to use the wireless hdmi. Should be a pretty decent projector though.
post #12090 of 16437 Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:

Weren't you considering getting rid of your VT60. Now you have 2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread