Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 427 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12781 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Three to four hundred hours would be nice, but then you don't need advice from guys like me with Chad on the way. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Enjoy.

Chad B is calibrating my VT60 on March 1. I just surpassed 300 and hoping to get to 400 by the time he arrives. I also downloaded ControlCAL but have not been able to get it to work.

Panasonic 60VT60
Sony PS3 Fat Boy
Marantz NR1504 AVR
Velodyne CHT Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Mbroadus.....lmk how it goes...what size is your set?

I will try to get some hours on set
post #12783 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 04:07 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post

I have 2 VT60s and was a bit disappointed to not see Amazon Instant Video app on the TV or available in the App Store. I thought I read somewhere that is was on newer built
sets, or is it on the ZT on or worse yet, is it even available on the Panasoncis, ironically Amazon web site lists their app on Panasonic devices.

I have it on my August build VT60. Have you tried a software update?
post #12784 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

I have 2 VT60s and was a bit disappointed to not see Amazon Instant Video app on the TV or available in the App Store. I thought I read somewhere that is was on newer built
sets, or is it on the ZT on or worse yet, is it even available on the Panasonic's, ironically Amazon web site lists their app on Panasonic devices.
It's Amazon, Netflix, and other streaming providers who decide which devices have access their products.

As was just pointed out, is your firmware up to date?
post #12785 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

sets, or is it on the ZT on or worse yet, is it even available on the Panasoncis, ironically Amazon web site lists their app on Panasonic devices.

It's on my VT60

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #12786 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 101
My firmware is up to date, let me look again, I do not see it on the pre-installed apps or in the App Store. I must be stupid and missing it somewhere. Both my TVs are October builds.
post #12787 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My firmware is up to date, let me look again, I do not see it on the pre-installed apps or in the App Store. I must be stupid and missing it somewhere. Both my TVs are October builds.

Mine is a August build that I purchased in Sept.

post #12788 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post

Elsewhere there has been the occasional mention of the cut/drive settings in the VT60's service menu. I have yet to see a good explanation of what those settings do. Could anyone here perhaps offer such an explanation? Not that I'm about to start altering those settings myself. Apparently some calibrators do, though.

Thank you.
They're for adjusting grayscale.
post #12789 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 05:57 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

It's not you, it's a bug. I had the same issue. Actually, the amazon app was present the first time I looked and when I went to access it, I was prompted to upgrade the VT60's firmware. After the update, the amazon app was gone. Performing a reset on the TV brought the app back.
post #12790 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 06:27 PM

Liked: 10
Chad was at my house today and he did a great job. I would recommend to anyone looking for the best possible picture from your tv biggrin.gif
post #12791 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

I'm going to ask again a similar question that I asked before. How do I get my vt60 default to game mode on when the ps4 is on. It's supposed to occur when hdmi content is set to auto with auto detail settings having game set to on. My friend has my exact set up and his properly sets to game mode on when the ps4 is on. And then back to off when he switched to cable. Both of us use 1 input which is hdmi 2 and run everything through a receiver. I've seen other posters not liking this and turning hdmi content auto to off. I personally want this feature since all I use the ps4 for is gaming.

post #12792 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 PM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

He is not done trust me frown.gif

Someone had a brain
post #12793 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 PM

Liked: 99
Funny how I can post about two other people seeing how the blacks glow and yet I'm still considered irrational. Idk what you people have but my blacks stink. The only good blacks I see is from Avatar so that's only obviously due to the Blu Ray and not the TV. Oh well stuck with it now and paid off. Time to take a bat to the screen maybe the hole I make will be deeper black
post #12794 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
^^^^^ Maybe it is because you are like a "broken record" and the fact that you are constantly looking for problems. I have an idea, go complain on another forum about it, think of it as a fresh start wink.gif
craigyboy and eric3316 like this.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #12795 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeLfMaDe111985 View Post

Funny how I can post about two other people seeing how the blacks glow and yet I'm still considered irrational. Idk what you people have but my blacks stink. The only good blacks I see is from Avatar so that's only obviously due to the Blu Ray and not the TV. Oh well stuck with it now and paid off. Time to take a bat to the screen maybe the hole I make will be deeper black
Sorry, but I don't think anyone really wants to hear it anymore. One day your blacks are blessed, the next day you own the worst TV ever made. The next day your dreams come true again and you own the best TV ever and the ZT is a waste of money. Next day your TV deserves to go in the garbage.

I don't even know what your are trying to accomplish but no one here is going to feel bad for you. I think we are all just ready to move on from this.
Gov likes this.
post #12796 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 08:52 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

I'm one of the guys you quoted about glowing blacks. The main difference between you and I in this respect is I made 1 comment about it, you on the other hand, have probably made 100 in conjuction with everything from questioning the Panasonic engineers ability to make a tv stand strong enough to hold the VT60 weight, to complaining about the fan noise that you can only hear with the tv muted. You always have a new complaint, sometimes I think you're trolling, especially with the " I'm using D-nices VT50 settings on my VT60, why doesn't it look right ? I think I'm going to exchange it for a ZT60" Post. Then came the ZT60 micro fracture comments.

I originally posted that I was surprised to find out that on all black screen, in a dark room the screen glows a bit ( this is my first plasma) . I also stated that with actual content on the screen the blacks look really good.
htwaits likes this.
post #12797 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxJuan View Post

I'm one of the guys you quoted about glowing blacks. The main difference between you and I in this respect is I made 1 comment about it, you on the other hand, have probably made 100 in conjuction with everything from questioning the Panasonic engineers ability to make a tv stand strong enough to hold the VT60 weight, to complaining about the fan noise that you can only hear with the tv muted. You always have a new complaint, sometimes I think you're trolling, especially with the " I'm using D-nices VT50 settings on my VT60, why doesn't it look right ? I think I'm going to exchange it for a ZT60" Post. Then came the ZT60 micro fracture comments.

I originally posted that I was surprised to find out that on all black screen, in a dark room the screen glows a bit ( this is my first plasma) . I also stated that with actual content on the screen the blacks look really good.
Yup, on a full black screen in a fully darkened room the panel will glow. Any VT60 or ZT60 owner will tell you that. It will never appear like the panel is turned off on a full black screen nor does it need to unless you like watching a black slide all night.

Where it shines is when their is other light on the screen, the blacks will appear inky and dark, offer great shadow detail and great contrast levels. That is when black levels count the most. Also, if you have a light with a dimmer on it, just a drop of ambient light in the room will also help with the appearance of black levels. If you want to see blacks even deeper then that, you can then add a bias lighting kit to the back of your TV but I don't really think it is needed with the VT60 just to improve blacks. I have yet to find myself watching any real content saying I wish the blacks were darker.
post #12798 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:

Exactly, and I'm pretty confident another fellow he's referencing was expecting better blacks based on all the glowing reviews and comments (all of which were subjective impressions, and who knows, he might have been accustomed to Sharp Elite aka FALD level blacks, which would account for his disappointed expectations).

All that being said, there is still room for improvement in black levels because you will surely notice the bars appear visibly brighter on low APL content, so there is something to be said for infinite blacks....OLED come quickly!
post #12799 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 10:04 PM

I just bought a panasonic vt60 2 days ago.  I went into the service menu (shouldn't have done that - I'm a total noob) to check how many hours were on the tv and I accidently went into to the VSUS menu I think I pressed ok and toggled between test and low.  A white screed did pop up and I got out of it.  I did  not actually change anything.  Now when I turn it off and back on again a purple screen momentarily flickers on.  Could I have permanently screwed my tv??  Please help I am freaking out it only had 14 hours on it.  Best tv EVER and I cant get another one because they dont make them anymore :( I got the last one in the city :confused:

post #12800 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic 88 View Post

I just bought a panasonic vt60 2 days ago.  I went into the service menu (shouldn't have done that - I'm a total noob) to check how many hours were on the tv and I accidently went into to the VSUS menu I think I pressed ok and toggled between test and low.  A white screed did pop up and I got out of it.  I did  not actually change anything.  Now when I turn it off and back on again a purple screen momentarily flickers on.  Could I have permanently screwed my tv??  Please help I am freaking out it only had 14 hours on it.  Best tv EVER and I cant get another one because they dont make them anymore frown.gif I got the last one in the city " src="http://files.avsforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif" style="border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-top-width:0px;">

I assumed you bought it used? Otherwise why in the world would you go into the service menu to check your hours. Sorry, someone with expertise in the service department can help you out on this one.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #12801 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 PM

no not used its brand new

post #12802 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreuel View Post

Chad was at my house today and he did a great job. I would recommend to anyone looking for the best possible picture from your tv biggrin.gif
If you could go into more detail about what you like about the experience and changes to your display it might help others who are trying to figure out if a professional calibration would be worth the investment. If you do have other thoughts it would be best to edit this post or put it all in one new post. Then I could link to your comments. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #12803 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 10:43 PM

i went on youtube some guy showed how to check hours r on your tv now i didnt know going into service menu can mess yur tv up damm i dont think i change anthing but how would i know ?

post #12804 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 10:45 PM

please anyone what should i do if i call panasonic can they help? 

post #12805 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

What the Blu-ray version of Avatar tells us and tries to tell you is that there is nothing wrong with your TV. What you are seeing from other sources tell you that as sources they are not as good as the Blu-ray version of Avatar. Even among Blu-ray disks the quality of blacks and grays and other PQ variables will vary. As long as you persist in defining the problem backward you will get some static from your readers. There are outstanding PQ transfers, there are crappy PQ transfers, and there are PQ transfers that fall everywhere in between.

Think of it this way, there is no source material, no matter how good, that can make a bad TV look good.

Enjoy. smile.gif
post #12806 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Quote:

Yup, on a full black screen in a fully darkened room the panel will glow. Any VT60 or ZT60 owner will tell you that. It will never appear like the panel is turned off on a full black screen nor does it need to unless you like watching a black slide all night.

Where it shines is when their is other light on the screen, the blacks will appear inky and dark, offer great shadow detail and great contrast levels. That is when black levels count the most. Also, if you have a light with a dimmer on it, just a drop of ambient light in the room will also help with the appearance of black levels. If you want to see blacks even deeper then that, you can then add a bias lighting kit to the back of your TV but I don't really think it is needed with the VT60 just to improve blacks. I have yet to find myself watching any real content saying I wish the blacks were darker.
All plasma displays glow under those circumstances.
post #12807 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

no not used its brand new
So did you think they were cheating you and the set wasn't new? Go to the calibration forum and look for someone with Panasonic service menu experience. Someone like that can tell you how the controls work. There is a chance you didn't change anything. But, now you know why people are discouraged from entering the service menu because the why the controls work can be different and lead to inadvertent changes being made.

Remember that under warranty you report the problem you see on the screen, not some foggy memory of what you might or might not have done with your new TV.
post #12808 of 14807 Old 02-15-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

i went on youtube some guy showed how to check hours r on your tv now i didnt know going into service menu can mess yur tv up damm i dont think i change anthing but how would i know ?
If you did something really bad, you TV would already be a mess. Taking advise from a guy on the Internet is sometimes worth less than what you pay for it. Write down all you remember about where you were when you pressed OK. Then calm down for a few days before you go into the calibration forum and ask for advice. Learn about what most people use as settings for their display is out of the box. There are several things in the user menu that you might want to safely change. The first one might be getting out of either Standard or Vivid Mode, and switching to Cinema or custom mode.
post #12809 of 14807 Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

I just bought a panasonic vt60 2 days ago.  I went into the service menu (shouldn't have done that - I'm a total noob) to check how many hours were on the tv and I accidently went into to the VSUS menu I think I pressed ok and toggled between test and low.  A white screed did pop up and I got out of it.  I did  not actually change anything.  Now when I turn it off and back on again a purple screen momentarily flickers on.  Could I have permanently screwed my tv??  Please help I am freaking out it only had 14 hours on it.  Best tv EVER and I cant get another one because they dont make them anymore frown.gif I got the last one in the city " src="http://files.avsforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif" style="border-bottom-width:0px; border-color:initial; border-left-width:0px; border-right-width:0px; border-style:initial; border-top-width:0px" />

If that's the only place you went to, then you have probably got away with it. You will need the correct VSUS setting, though.

If you have changed any other settings, it becomes more complicated.

You might like to do a reset of all your user settings. That can be done without entering the service menu.

You can also check the number of hours used in the normal user menus. For earlier models service menu access was the only way to check the hours, but this year that has changed.

Good luck.
eaayoung likes this.
post #12810 of 14807 Old 02-16-2014, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

My modified 101fd must be broken since I can still see a glow on an all black screen when the room is pitch black, oh no say it ain't so.eek.gif... Give me a break.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page