Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 430 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12871 of 15374 Old 02-16-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

How prone are these sets to uniformity issues? I'm keeping my floor model but being my first plasma I was surprised that it had any uniformity issues at all. Against a light slide I get. a pinkish center and greenish sides with some DSE mostly along the left side. Since an exchange is no longer an option I'm keeping it anyways but it still kind of sucks. smile.gif
There are a lot of reports of light gray vertical bars on the right side of the screen. Few people seem to be bothered by them if they don't show up during normal viewing. Some people report that they go away as the panel ages.

I don't know what to tell you about the two tinted areas. Maybe someone in the Settings/Issues thread can give you some ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12872 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

I have generally been unimpressed with samsung techonology (short of their SSD drives which i love). Since Panasonic has pulled out of plasma, it really just leaves samsung to stay in there, and with OLED on the horizon, what incentive to they have to innovate and chase after or beat the kuro blacks? Although the one thing I wish panasonic had was better metadata display of OTA content. Samsung did a fantastic job of giving you the full metadata and program info that broadcasters send out but panasonic leaves it to just the program title.

Samsung's overall video processing for 1080i and 720p tv content is superior to Panasonic and it's not even close. Of course we all know that's quite the opposite for 1080p content so there lies in the rub. My dream is a set with the absolute blacks of a panny and the video processing of a Samsung. I'm calling it the Panasammy VTF608500 biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Below is a link to Consumer Reports critique of the VT60. It may explain why when I viewed the set, and the ZT, at Best Buy the picture quality via DirecTV was softer than my ten-year old commercial Panasonic plasma (7UY):

"Also, its deinterlacing--converting 1080i signals to the set's progressive display--was only average, so we saw some jaggies, or jagged edges, on objects."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/07/battle-of-the-super-plasma-tvs-the-panasonic-vt60-versus-the-samsung-f8500/index.htm

Contributing to the soft look could be blowing the picture up to 60" and 65"? My set is 50"

Sharpness is no longer an issue on this year's 60 series for the 1080i signals you're talking about. It was on last year's 50 series though which led to an overall soft pic.
post #12873 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

What the Blu-ray version of Avatar tells us and tries to you is that there is nothing wrong with your TV. What you are seeing from other sources tell you that as sources they are not as good as the Blu-ray version of Avatar. Even among Blu-ray disks the quality of blacks and grays and other PQ variables will vary. As long as you persist in defining the problem backward you will get some static from your readers. There are outstanding PQ transfers, there are crappy PQ transfers, and there are PQ transfers that fall everywhere in between.

Think of it this way, there is no source material, no matter how good, that can make a bad TV look good.

Enjoy. smile.gif

I just watched Riddick and I can't even describe the quality of the transfer which in turn made my VT60 look truly amazing. The movie itself was so bad that I won't even go there cool.gif
htwaits likes this.
post #12874 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

I just watched Riddick and I can't even describe the quality of the transfer which in turn made my VT60 look truly amazing. The movie itself was so bad that I won't even go there cool.gif

You could call that movie "Chronicles of Pitch Black".
post #12875 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Samsung's overall video processing for 1080i and 720p tv content is superior to Panasonic and it's not even close. Of course we all know that's quite the opposite for 1080p content so there lies in the rub. My dream is a set with the absolute blacks of a panny and the video processing of a Samsung. I'm calling it the Panasammy VTF608500 biggrin.gif
Sharpness is no longer an issue on this year's 60 series for the 1080i signals you're talking about. It was on last year's 50 series though which led to an overall soft pic.

That red part killed me smile.gif)))

Video: Panasonic P50VT60 (calibrated)
AVR: Yamaha RX-V671
Audio: Jamo C405 front, C400 center, S300 subwoofer, Yamaha NS-333 back
BD-Player: Sony PS3
Media player: WD TV Live Gen2
post #12876 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm01 View Post

You could call that movie "Chronicles of Pitch Black".
Hmmmm, I keep reading through this thread and see so many complaints that the blacks on the VT60 are not that good so not sure why you would say this and mislead people.

I am guessing blacks must then be better on other TV's so I am thinking about selling it for something better.

I am thinking about the Vizio E series. I hear it is FALD and has 12 zones! I was looking at the the P and M series but with 32 and 64 zones respectively I am thinking that might be blacker that I am looking to go.

Any other suggestions of TV's that might offer better blacks then the terrible black levels of the VT60?
post #12877 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Hmmmm, I keep reading through this thread and see so many complaints that the blacks on the VT60 are not that good so not sure why you would say this and mislead people.

The movie is a mish-mash of "Pitch Black" and "Chronicles of Riddick". That's what I meant.
post #12878 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The movie is a mish-mash of "Pitch Black" and "Chronicles of Riddick". That's what I meant.
Oh, so then you agree that the blacks do stink on the VT60. biggrin.gif

Anyway, I have said this before and will continue to say this as the more I use the TV the more it becomes apparent that keeping the pixel oribitor on really does help a ton with IR!

While some think that moving a couple of pixels cannot possible help anything I am going to tell you it sure does. With IR, you are most of the time seeing the edges of a logo or a scoreboard that is sticking around. By that logo moving a couple of inches the edges of it are now in a totally different place. So the original edges that would have given you IR now have time to clear itself up while the logo edges have now moved to another spot. I have not seen any smearing of IR like some seem to suggest. It is not the inside of the logo's that were showing up as IR, it was the edges.

Ever since turning on the orbitior, I can even watch Fox Sports for hours and not have a trace of their logo on my TV. Before I would even get the bottom bars from the sports ticker hang around after watching but now I don't even get a trace of any of it. Olympics on for hours also without a trace.

The only bad part about this is you cannot use THX modes since they grey out the oribitor and have it set to auto which is technically off. Would love to hear others experience with the oribitor on and with it off and if they have experienced the differences I have seen so far.
post #12879 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 06:58 AM

Eric,
Why do you think that "Auto" setting for Pixel Orbiter means it is "technically off"?

post #12880 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

just watched All is Lost last night. Good flick, but boy was it one of the biggest color banding torture tests I've seen.

Same thing. I thought my set was broken. Whole movie is pretty much two-color (cyan and pink) face of Bob Redford and pale, pale overcast days. Scenes inside of the boat were much better (during the night only though)

post #12881 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Oh, so then you agree that the blacks do stink on the VT60. biggrin.gif

Don't put words in people's mouth. Especially since in this case, I completely disagree with you. I am completely satisfied with my TV.
post #12882 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letuch View Post

Eric,
Why do you think that "Auto" setting for Pixel Orbiter means it is "technically off"?
If you put in on auto you will see your picture will not move. When you turn the orbiter on you can see when your picture actually shifts. If auto meant on then what would on mean? You have to think, the TV is not smart smart enough to know hey if I am on auto, I will be able to see IR building up and only at that point I will shift the picture. It is either on or off and I have yet to see anyone say anything different about auto meaning off. You should also be able to see the difference with IR build up between the 2. I was getting IR with it on auto and not with it on I get nothing.

Quote:

Don't put words in people's mouth. Especially since in this case, I completely disagree with you. I am completely satisfied with my TV.
I was joking. I think most people here get that. wink.gif
post #12883 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 AM

Just chiming in with another Amazon open-box failure...

Ordered 60" VT60, Amazon Warehouse listed as "Very Good", everything pristine, original packaging, $1970...

Shipped via CEVA originating from Spartanburg, SC (an Amazon warehouse).

CEVA finally came (some delays), got the tv in the house, packaging was original and intact.

Removed the thin foam cover from the screen, turned on the flash light, instantly showed huge fractures in the glass, right side of screen.

I didn't need to see any more, refused delivery, helped driver load back on truck (yes, 1 guy with a truck full of tv's).

VERY dissapointing so beware of Amazon Warehouse and/or CEVA. IMHO I suspect Amazon of shipping another bad tv which (to me) is inconceivable/unforgiveable that anyone could be that incompetent but I really wonder if Amazon does anything other than inspecting the packaging (jacking up the price) then shipping back out.
eric3316 likes this.
post #12884 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 AM

Liked: 10
Watched Das Boot last night and during the above water panning scenes I noticed quite a bit of pronounced dirty screen effect on my 65VT60. Anyone else that has watched this see the same thing? Hopefully it was just the movie as otherwise I haven't noticed too much other DSE.
post #12885 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I've been using pixel orbitor for a lot of cable tv watching. Especially for those channels with those trouble some logos. So far no ir to speak of as of yet. I watch a lot of Olympics too. My panel is pretty young though too aprox 200 ish hours.
post #12886 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSway View Post

Just chiming in with another Amazon open-box failure...

Ordered 60" VT60, Amazon Warehouse listed as "Very Good", everything pristine, original packaging, $1970...

Shipped via CEVA originating from Spartanburg, SC (an Amazon warehouse).

CEVA finally came (some delays), got the tv in the house, packaging was original and intact.

Removed the thin foam cover from the screen, turned on the flash light, instantly showed huge fractures in the glass, right side of screen.

I didn't need to see any more, refused delivery, helped driver load back on truck (yes, 1 guy with a truck full of tv's).

VERY dissapointing so beware of Amazon Warehouse and/or CEVA. IMHO I suspect Amazon of shipping another bad tv which (to me) is inconceivable/unforgiveable that anyone could be that incompetent but I really wonder if Amazon does anything other than inspecting the packaging (jacking up the price) then shipping back out.
I have received two P65VT60 TVs with cracked screens from Amazon. One was supposed to be new in stock. When I received the first TV, the bezel had three deep cuts in it and the screen was cracked. Only one guy from Pilot tried to deliver it. I had to help him. When I went to the truck the power cord for the TV was hanging out the bottom of the box. This was supposed to be a new never opened TV from Amazon. Yea right! The second one I purchased from Amazon warehouse. I had gotten a really really sweet deal on it. Two guys from CEVA delivered this one. Opened it up and it had a cracked screen also. It did not even power up. Very disappointed with the handling of these TVs from Amazon. On top of that Amazon no longer wants to honor a % off deal I had received because of the inconvenience. So I am done trying to find one of these TVs. Just will go with an Ultra HD TV sometime later in the year.
post #12887 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 AM

Liked: 16
Still (after 300hrs) seeing a lot of DFC or phosphor trails or blurring or whatever it's called. I don't care what the technical explanation is, but these tv's are praised for their motion and all I see it faces of people turning into a blurring mess when moving or panning. I never ever saw this on my P50V10, and don't think it's as bad on my (bedroom) P42ST30. No idea what's going on here.
post #12888 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

Still (after 300hrs) seeing a lot of DFC or phosphor trails or blurring or whatever it's called. I don't care what the technical explanation is, but these tv's are praised for their motion and all I see it faces of people turning into a blurring mess when moving or panning. I never ever saw this on my P50V10, and don't think it's as bad on my (bedroom) P42ST30. No idea what's going on here.

Is this happening at 96hz?

post #12889 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 09:41 AM

yes, at 24p, 50hz and 60hz. varies a bit from source to source but it is bugging me like hell. even my wife notices it, and keeps saying 'why did you sell the old plasma? we should have bought that led etc".
post #12890 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:

yes, at 24p, 50hz and 60hz. varies a bit from source to source but it is bugging me like hell. even my wife notices it, and keeps saying 'why did you sell the old plasma? we should have bought that led etc".

96hz does suffer from false contouring which almost produces a slight rainbow effect around objects in motion sometimes, but 60hz should be clean (aside from more judder because of the 3:2 pulldown).

post #12891 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse311 View Post

Watched Das Boot last night and during the above water panning scenes I noticed quite a bit of pronounced dirty screen effect on my 65VT60. Anyone else that has watched this see the same thing? Hopefully it was just the movie as otherwise I haven't noticed too much other DSE.
One movie is not the most viable way to check for DSE. Have you seen it on any other content? That said, these sets are known to have it...my ZT does, specifically on horizontal scans.
post #12892 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:

I was joking. I think most people here get that. wink.gif
I'm going to wager that not everyone participating in the thread currently has closely followed the saga to which you allude. wink.gif Lucky them.
CatchersDad likes this.
post #12893 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I'm going to wager that not everyone participating in the thread currently has closely followed the saga to which you allude. wink.gif Lucky them.
Well, in that case can someone help me fix my crappy blacks?
CatchersDad likes this.
post #12894 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

One movie is not the most viable way to check for DSE. Have you seen it on any other content? That said, these sets are known to have it...my ZT does, specifically on horizontal scans.

I have noticed it on occasion, like you say on horizontal pans, but nothing too bad. I do have 2 other Panasonic plasmas maybe I'll see what it looks on either of those.
post #12895 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse311 View Post

I have noticed it on occasion, like you say on horizontal pans, but nothing too bad. I do have 2 other Panasonic plasmas maybe I'll see what it looks on either of those.
Not to sound rude but it doesn't really sound like you have a problem at all. If you need to pick out specific scenes that you might notice something, I think it sounds like you have a pretty good panel whether or not it looks different on your other panels.
post #12896 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

You are in a select group whose brains separate the red, green, and blue colors in moving objects. Some people with your condition are able to adapt, for others it's impossible.
post #12897 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letuch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

just watched All is Lost last night. Good flick, but boy was it one of the biggest color banding torture tests I've seen.

Same thing. I thought my set was broken. Whole movie is pretty much two-color (cyan and pink) face of Bob Redford and pale, pale overcast days. Scenes inside of the boat were much better (during the night only though)

i felt that way too. I couldn't help but wonder if better color bit depth in newer HDR type techs would 'fix' that scene. First time i ever felt digital was inadequate.
post #12898 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Could be, but why did I never see this on my other plasma, nor on my dlp projectors I had ( the so called rainow effect ). As I am typing, we are watching a 720p hd broadcast at 50hz and as soon as people start to move or turn their faces, it looks plain awful. Posted this before, it almost looks like those old lcd screens when used in the cold. It is not only the trails but the lack of sharpness and resolution when there is movement. I love the blacks and colours of this tv, but this is just awful. I am really wondering if I could have a bad panel or something.
post #12899 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 509
^ after a couple hundred hours you'll notice it reduces drastically. its almost like the pixels are 'sticky' till they break in a bit.
post #12900 of 15374 Old 02-17-2014, 11:42 AM

He's already exceeded 300 hours. If still visible at 400 hours (to remove all doubt), there indeed might be something wrong.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page