Official Panasonic VT60/VT65 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 430 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 238Likes

Old 02-17-2014, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

just watched All is Lost last night. Good flick, but boy was it one of the biggest color banding torture tests I've seen.

Same thing. I thought my set was broken. Whole movie is pretty much two-color (cyan and pink) face of Bob Redford and pale, pale overcast days. Scenes inside of the boat were much better (during the night only though)

Video: Panasonic P50VT60 (calibrated)
AVR: Yamaha RX-V671
Audio: Jamo C405 front, C400 center, S300 subwoofer, Yamaha NS-333 back
BD-Player: Sony PS3
Media player: WD TV Live Gen2, HTPC: i3-4130T/HD4400, Flirc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Oh, so then you agree that the blacks do stink on the VT60. biggrin.gif

Don't put words in people's mouth. Especially since in this case, I completely disagree with you. I am completely satisfied with my TV.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letuch View Post

Eric,
Why do you think that "Auto" setting for Pixel Orbiter means it is "technically off"?
If you put in on auto you will see your picture will not move. When you turn the orbiter on you can see when your picture actually shifts. If auto meant on then what would on mean? You have to think, the TV is not smart smart enough to know hey if I am on auto, I will be able to see IR building up and only at that point I will shift the picture. It is either on or off and I have yet to see anyone say anything different about auto meaning off. You should also be able to see the difference with IR build up between the 2. I was getting IR with it on auto and not with it on I get nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm01 View Post

Don't put words in people's mouth. Especially since in this case, I completely disagree with you. I am completely satisfied with my TV.
I was joking. I think most people here get that. wink.gif
Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just chiming in with another Amazon open-box failure...

Ordered 60" VT60, Amazon Warehouse listed as "Very Good", everything pristine, original packaging, $1970...

Shipped via CEVA originating from Spartanburg, SC (an Amazon warehouse).

CEVA finally came (some delays), got the tv in the house, packaging was original and intact.

Removed the thin foam cover from the screen, turned on the flash light, instantly showed huge fractures in the glass, right side of screen.

I didn't need to see any more, refused delivery, helped driver load back on truck (yes, 1 guy with a truck full of tv's).

VERY dissapointing so beware of Amazon Warehouse and/or CEVA. IMHO I suspect Amazon of shipping another bad tv which (to me) is inconceivable/unforgiveable that anyone could be that incompetent but I really wonder if Amazon does anything other than inspecting the packaging (jacking up the price) then shipping back out.
eric3316 likes this.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 AM

Liked: 10
Watched Das Boot last night and during the above water panning scenes I noticed quite a bit of pronounced dirty screen effect on my 65VT60. Anyone else that has watched this see the same thing? Hopefully it was just the movie as otherwise I haven't noticed too much other DSE.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I've been using pixel orbitor for a lot of cable tv watching. Especially for those channels with those trouble some logos. So far no ir to speak of as of yet. I watch a lot of Olympics too. My panel is pretty young though too aprox 200 ish hours.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSway View Post

Just chiming in with another Amazon open-box failure...

Ordered 60" VT60, Amazon Warehouse listed as "Very Good", everything pristine, original packaging, $1970...

Shipped via CEVA originating from Spartanburg, SC (an Amazon warehouse).

CEVA finally came (some delays), got the tv in the house, packaging was original and intact.

Removed the thin foam cover from the screen, turned on the flash light, instantly showed huge fractures in the glass, right side of screen.

I didn't need to see any more, refused delivery, helped driver load back on truck (yes, 1 guy with a truck full of tv's).

VERY dissapointing so beware of Amazon Warehouse and/or CEVA. IMHO I suspect Amazon of shipping another bad tv which (to me) is inconceivable/unforgiveable that anyone could be that incompetent but I really wonder if Amazon does anything other than inspecting the packaging (jacking up the price) then shipping back out.
I have received two P65VT60 TVs with cracked screens from Amazon. One was supposed to be new in stock. When I received the first TV, the bezel had three deep cuts in it and the screen was cracked. Only one guy from Pilot tried to deliver it. I had to help him. When I went to the truck the power cord for the TV was hanging out the bottom of the box. This was supposed to be a new never opened TV from Amazon. Yea right! The second one I purchased from Amazon warehouse. I had gotten a really really sweet deal on it. Two guys from CEVA delivered this one. Opened it up and it had a cracked screen also. It did not even power up. Very disappointed with the handling of these TVs from Amazon. On top of that Amazon no longer wants to honor a % off deal I had received because of the inconvenience. So I am done trying to find one of these TVs. Just will go with an Ultra HD TV sometime later in the year.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Still (after 300hrs) seeing a lot of DFC or phosphor trails or blurring or whatever it's called. I don't care what the technical explanation is, but these tv's are praised for their motion and all I see it faces of people turning into a blurring mess when moving or panning. I never ever saw this on my P50V10, and don't think it's as bad on my (bedroom) P42ST30. No idea what's going on here.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

Still (after 300hrs) seeing a lot of DFC or phosphor trails or blurring or whatever it's called. I don't care what the technical explanation is, but these tv's are praised for their motion and all I see it faces of people turning into a blurring mess when moving or panning. I never ever saw this on my P50V10, and don't think it's as bad on my (bedroom) P42ST30. No idea what's going on here.

Is this happening at 96hz?

Old 02-17-2014, 09:41 AM

yes, at 24p, 50hz and 60hz. varies a bit from source to source but it is bugging me like hell. even my wife notices it, and keeps saying 'why did you sell the old plasma? we should have bought that led etc".
Old 02-17-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 1113
Quote:

yes, at 24p, 50hz and 60hz. varies a bit from source to source but it is bugging me like hell. even my wife notices it, and keeps saying 'why did you sell the old plasma? we should have bought that led etc".

96hz does suffer from false contouring which almost produces a slight rainbow effect around objects in motion sometimes, but 60hz should be clean (aside from more judder because of the 3:2 pulldown).

Old 02-17-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse311 View Post

Watched Das Boot last night and during the above water panning scenes I noticed quite a bit of pronounced dirty screen effect on my 65VT60. Anyone else that has watched this see the same thing? Hopefully it was just the movie as otherwise I haven't noticed too much other DSE.
One movie is not the most viable way to check for DSE. Have you seen it on any other content? That said, these sets are known to have it...my ZT does, specifically on horizontal scans.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I was joking. I think most people here get that. wink.gif
I'm going to wager that not everyone participating in the thread currently has closely followed the saga to which you allude. wink.gif Lucky them.
CatchersDad likes this.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I'm going to wager that not everyone participating in the thread currently has closely followed the saga to which you allude. wink.gif Lucky them.
Well, in that case can someone help me fix my crappy blacks?
CatchersDad likes this.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

One movie is not the most viable way to check for DSE. Have you seen it on any other content? That said, these sets are known to have it...my ZT does, specifically on horizontal scans.

I have noticed it on occasion, like you say on horizontal pans, but nothing too bad. I do have 2 other Panasonic plasmas maybe I'll see what it looks on either of those.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse311 View Post

I have noticed it on occasion, like you say on horizontal pans, but nothing too bad. I do have 2 other Panasonic plasmas maybe I'll see what it looks on either of those.
Not to sound rude but it doesn't really sound like you have a problem at all. If you need to pick out specific scenes that you might notice something, I think it sounds like you have a pretty good panel whether or not it looks different on your other panels.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
Quote:

You are in a select group whose brains separate the red, green, and blue colors in moving objects. Some people with your condition are able to adapt, for others it's impossible.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letuch View Post

Quote:

just watched All is Lost last night. Good flick, but boy was it one of the biggest color banding torture tests I've seen.

Same thing. I thought my set was broken. Whole movie is pretty much two-color (cyan and pink) face of Bob Redford and pale, pale overcast days. Scenes inside of the boat were much better (during the night only though)

i felt that way too. I couldn't help but wonder if better color bit depth in newer HDR type techs would 'fix' that scene. First time i ever felt digital was inadequate.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Could be, but why did I never see this on my other plasma, nor on my dlp projectors I had ( the so called rainow effect ). As I am typing, we are watching a 720p hd broadcast at 50hz and as soon as people start to move or turn their faces, it looks plain awful. Posted this before, it almost looks like those old lcd screens when used in the cold. It is not only the trails but the lack of sharpness and resolution when there is movement. I love the blacks and colours of this tv, but this is just awful. I am really wondering if I could have a bad panel or something.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

^ after a couple hundred hours you'll notice it reduces drastically. its almost like the pixels are 'sticky' till they break in a bit.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:42 AM

He's already exceeded 300 hours. If still visible at 400 hours (to remove all doubt), there indeed might be something wrong.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

ahh, in that case while you are breaking it in further, why don't you ensure that your settings have all the automated stuff turned of and ensure that you are using panel brightness MID. Of course, its hard to comment on how the EURO model might differ from the US one...
Old 02-17-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

You could call that movie "Chronicles of Pitch Black".
Quote:

It's not just the black levels although in my pitch black room I couldn't distinguish the bezel from the letter box bars. The blacks just blended. On low APL night scenes- the blacks were a very dark grey and I could just slightly tell the difference but even then it was close. Add the amazing colors to the mix and i seriously thought for a moment that my VT60 was an led set with all the pop and 3D depth. After the movie ended and I turned to OTA channels and reality set in ...................biggrin.gif

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing this movie just for the reasons above. Maybe play it as a demo for this amazing set. With the sound definitely turned off as not to mess with the surreal experience because once you hear the characters speaking- all bets are off biggrin.gif
Old 02-17-2014, 12:03 PM

^hahaha, agreed completely. The PQ was jawdropping on my ZT. Hollywood once again finished nailing a coffin in another franchise.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:

ahh, in that case while you are breaking it in further, why don't you ensure that your settings have all the automated stuff turned of and ensure that you are using panel brightness MID. Of course, its hard to comment on how the EURO model might differ from the US one...

all enhancements are off, and panel is indeed at mid. calibrated it using disney wow but it is the same with other default settings. I am at 351 hours.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:

i felt that way too. I couldn't help but wonder if better color bit depth in newer HDR type techs would 'fix' that scene. First time i ever felt digital was inadequate.

I don't believe digital has anything to do with it. After all we've seen a lot of movies shot on digital and looking great across the board. Speaking of sea movies. Last night I've finally unpacked "Jaws", that as per Blu-Ray Digest is completely new Blu-ray transfer. Image is jaw-dropping. Pun intended smile.gif
For a second it felt like it's a brand-new movie. Funny thing is new movies don't exhibit such old-school colors. Last one that comes to mind is Mummy Returns. I'm really happy I've waited to unpack the best after VT60 arrived. It truly does them justice. Next in line is "Lawrence of Arabia". They say it's pure magic in terms of picture.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Could be, but why did I never see this on my other plasma, nor on my dlp projectors I had ( the so called rainow effect ). As I am typing, we are watching a 720p hd broadcast at 50hz and as soon as people start to move or turn their faces, it looks plain awful. Posted this before, it almost looks like those old lcd screens when used in the cold. It is not only the trails but the lack of sharpness and resolution when there is movement. I love the blacks and colours of this tv, but this is just awful. I am really wondering if I could have a bad panel or something.
Hi lapino. Do you think it can be captured on a video? That way maybe we could see what your seeing. Otherwise maybe see if panny can send out a tech to verify what you guys are seeing.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I agree they can definitely make it so we don't see that type of color banding, but I was only meaning that if the director wanted those soft/blurry monotonous shots in AIL to be banding free he'd likely need more bit depth than the medium we have for it .

LOA was even good when it was 'bad' smile.gif The bluray is supposed to be phenomenal. Let me know what you think after you see it
Old 02-17-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I agree they can definitely make it so we don't see that type of color banding, but I was only meaning that if the director wanted those soft/blurry monotonous shots in AIL to be banding free he'd likely need more bit depth than the medium we have for it .

LOA was even good when it was 'bad' smile.gif The bluray is supposed to be phenomenal. Let me know what you think after you see it

I hope 4K OLED in 7-10 years time will achieve seriously expanded colorspace, 1TB X-Ray discs will become common thing - then perhaps we'll get some miracles in visual department smile.gif

I will

Old 02-17-2014, 03:12 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post

Went out Panasonic plasma hunting today!!! Need your advice please...Which of these floor models would you recommend buying based on value (performance to cost):

65" ZT60  $2,300  (2,875 hours)

60" ST60  $1,200  (2,030 hours)

60" VT60  $1,100  (3,440 hours)

60" ST60  $   800  (3,495 hours)

I have it in order of what I think is the best value and what I am leaning on purchasing.  I like the 65" ZT60 cause its has the size and picture quality!  I like the 60" ST60 cause of the lowest hours and has the value factor.

Please help make an educated decision.  Thank you

I just found a display 65" VT60 for $2000 with 3,350 hours.  Would you then consider that instead?

7.0 HT Setup:
***Polk RTIA9 / CSIA6 / FXIA6 / RTIA3**Dual PB-2000**Pioneer SC-1222K**Panasonic 65"VT60**Sony BDP-BX510***

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Panasonic Tcp65 65 Inch Vt25 3d Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv